PDA

View Full Version : iOS 6 beta on Windows

SheepNutz
Jun 11, 2012, 08:24 PM
Has anyone tried installing iOS 6 using a Windows machine? I figured it would be possible since iTunes 10.6.3 is out for Windows. It looks like all the firmware files are in .dmg file format though, and would have to be converted to use with windows. Last year I was able to do this with iOS 5, but I wasn't sure with 6 yet.

leo.andven
Jun 12, 2012, 05:27 AM
Download the .dmg, use 7-zip to open it, open the biggest file inside 7-zip, you'll eventually find the ipsw.

8a22a
Jun 12, 2012, 05:31 AM
I used TransMac.
http://www.asy.com/sharetm.htm

SheepNutz
Jun 12, 2012, 07:39 PM
I also used transmac, and it worked just fine on iTunes 10.6.3. I was running a jailbroken iPad, so I just put it into DFU mode, did a shift restore to the .IPSW and it worked great!

Daveoc64
Jun 19, 2012, 05:01 PM
I think that going forward, there's going to be far better support for the iOS betas in Windows.

They're also pitching the betas at Enterprise customers who don't run Mac OS X.

delonh92
Jun 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
When you download the dmg file or zip. goto my computer and go to tools. Then goto folder options then view. Scroll down to where it says hide known file types uncheck that box. Now go back to the downloaded file and add .ipsw at the end and it will be an ipsw file:)

Supa_Fly
Sep 13, 2012, 10:54 AM
Download the .dmg, use 7-zip to open it, open the biggest file inside 7-zip, you'll eventually find the ipsw.

this worked like a boss!! many thanks.
btw, 7-zip is freeware even for corporate windows outfits.