PDA

View Full Version : The blue status bar is really ugly...

manjaap
Jun 11, 2012, 10:34 PM
Just wanted to see if others agree, and what people think of the overall inconsistency in the UI

absolutazn87
Jun 11, 2012, 10:42 PM
Agreed.

What's worse....it's not just blue. It adapts to whatever color the app is. Saw this on Twitter.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/imgly_production/4631655/large.png

gforce216
Jun 11, 2012, 10:42 PM
They gotta pick a color. Just go all bright silver and black. The blue bar now just really throws things around. The UI consistency has got to get better. Case and point - the dialer in the Phone app.

absolutazn87
Jun 11, 2012, 10:44 PM
They gotta pick a color. Just go all bright silver and black. The blue bar now just really throws things around. The UI consistency has got to get better. Case and point - the dialer in the Phone app.

Agreed. Right now it's not consistent at all. Safari uses the blue UI but doesn't have the blue status bar, while Mail, Messages, and Settings do.

I hate to say it, but the UI refresh just feels like a clusterf*ck.

Warbrain
Jun 11, 2012, 10:46 PM
Agreed.

What's worse....it's not just blue. It adapts to whatever color the app is. Saw this on Twitter.

Image (http://s3.amazonaws.com/imgly_production/4631655/large.png)

Jesus christ that's horrendous.

manjaap
Jun 11, 2012, 10:46 PM
Wow. Red looks even worse than blue. I would rather keep the status bar like it was in iOS 5 than change it like this. I think the silver/black scheme would look great of done right. As for the dialer, this again is one of those things that seemed better unchanged.

PurrBall
Jun 11, 2012, 10:47 PM
Agreed. Right now it's not consistent at all. Safari uses the blue UI but doesn't have the blue status bar, while Mail, Messages, and Settings do.

I hate to say it, but the UI refresh just feels like a clusterf*ck.

I feel like the black status bar in Safari is an admittance that the blue one is not great.

Comeagain?
Jun 11, 2012, 10:48 PM
Don't forget, this is still months away from a public release. I have a feeling they are trying some different things out, and will unify the UI later on.

absolutazn87
Jun 11, 2012, 10:50 PM
Don't forget, this is still months away from a public release. I have a feeling they are trying some different things out, and will unify the UI later on.

Hope so. I just don't recall any prior iOS betas that had such glaring UI issues or any major UI changes between beta and GM releases.

manjaap
Jun 11, 2012, 10:50 PM

Guess all of us need to give apple some active feedback so they understand just how bad this is...

absolutazn87
Jun 11, 2012, 10:52 PM
Guess all of us need to give apple some active feedback so they understand just how bad this is...

Maybe try tweeting at Phil Schiller (@pschiller) and Scott Forstall (@forstall)?

stephen1108
Jun 11, 2012, 11:04 PM
I think it's a mistake tbh. I hope it is.

Smith288
Jun 11, 2012, 11:13 PM
I dunno, I think it looks ok. At least in iscore.

jplusc
Jun 11, 2012, 11:30 PM
Yeah I'm not a fan of the blue status bar and inconsistency.

tcpudp
Sep 20, 2012, 01:10 PM
This is what happens without Steve.

Also check out the new Find My iPhone app, really bad fonts. Find My Friends is a lot better. Why don't they make things more consistent?! They are using different font where is not really necessary.

Zaft
Sep 20, 2012, 01:14 PM
This is what happens without Steve.

Also check out the new Find My iPhone app, really bad fonts. Find My Friends is a lot better. Why don't they make things more consistent?! They are using different font where is not really necessary.

This is seriously getting annoying and overused. why are people acting like steve jobs never mad a mistake.. mobile me anyone? Ping?

SandboxGeneral
Sep 20, 2012, 01:15 PM
The color schemes don't bother me and I kind of like them. However, that red one above does look bad.

xAnthony
Sep 20, 2012, 01:18 PM
Agreed.

Image (http://s3.amazonaws.com/imgly_production/4631655/large.png)

I find that giant red "Date selection" banner more of an eye sore than the status bar. The status bar just blends in with whatever colour the top header is... And that red looks atrocious, considering it doesn't go with anything on the page.

I personally like the coloured status bar. I guess that's a personal preference more than anything.

dcorban
Sep 20, 2012, 01:56 PM
I definitely prefer black.

snerkler
Sep 20, 2012, 02:02 PM
The new UI is not as nice as the old one imo. The phone keypad is awful and the different colour bars aren't to my liking either :(

rockman0
Sep 20, 2012, 02:04 PM
Yeah, it's actually more of a transparent color. Think Windows Aero for iOS. Whatever the color at the top of the active app is will show through the task bar. It just so happens that for most of Apple's apps, it's blue.

tcpudp
Sep 20, 2012, 07:37 PM
This is seriously getting annoying and overused. why are people acting like steve jobs never mad a mistake.. mobile me anyone? Ping?

Only time can tell. You maybe right.

iphonenub
Sep 20, 2012, 07:46 PM
I don't understand why a different color is an eye sore. For wanting updates you people really hate change...

pullfocus
Sep 20, 2012, 07:48 PM
I don't understand why a different color is an eye sore. For wanting updates you people really hate change...Because there is no design singularity now. It's a mish-mash.

Not only the status bar, but the new dial pad screen, when the in call screen is the same as it's always been.

It doesn't have that simple, clean feel to it.

Ddyracer
Sep 20, 2012, 07:53 PM
I can't see any inconsistency. Someone fill me in.

As for the people not liking it i understand, it could use more transparency like in OSX.

kmj2318
Sep 20, 2012, 07:56 PM
Perhaps its a way to accentuate the length of the iPhone 5's screen?