PDA

View Full Version : iMessage using ONLY phone number as caller ID

RamboRab
Jun 11, 2012, 11:09 PM
Hey

Can anyone running iOS 6 confirm if using iMessage with the caller id set as the phone number works properly now. i.e. One conversation thread across all devices (iPhone, iPad and Mac)

This is something that has bugged me for ages! I'd love to just use the phone number as the caller id for sending and receiving iMessages so hopefully it'll now work.

Thanks

*edit*

The reason I hate using my email address as the caller id is because many of my contacts don't have my email address saved in their contacts, so when they get an iMessage from me it currently shows up as coming from my email address which they often don't recognise.

I have to use email address for caller id at the moment though as I want the messages to sync across all my devices (Mac, iPhone and iPad).

The other reason I don't like using email address as the caller id is when sending an iMessage and there is no data signal, I don't get the option to send as a text.

I hope this makes sense. The whole iMessage thing is very confusing!

SanjeevRana
Jun 12, 2012, 12:27 AM
Yup ... working like a charm and rather instant too :)

schizbomb
Jun 12, 2012, 01:32 AM
Odd. It is not working for me.

schizbomb
Jun 12, 2012, 02:01 AM
I got it for iPad. Can't get it to sync to Mac (lion or mountain lion)

rmeadejr
Jun 12, 2012, 03:03 AM
I'm also having so much trouble with iMessage. People are getting duplicate texts or only one the phone will get it and the iPad didn't...ugh

RamboRab
Jun 12, 2012, 03:12 AM
Yup ... working like a charm and rather instant too :)

Are you able to post a screenshot of the iMessage settings screen that shows the phone number on the iPad?

jazoi
Jun 12, 2012, 06:54 AM
Does anyone know if your iCloud account has to be the same as your developer ID to unify your phone number and apple ID? My developer account is my main iTunes account, however my iCloud account is different due to sharing my main account with my S.O.

SanjeevRana
Jun 12, 2012, 07:46 PM
Are you able to post a screenshot of the iMessage settings screen that shows the phone number on the iPad?

Screenshots are attached ... on another note, iMessage has even pulled up email addresss from my Contact Card and added it to the list ... the @gmail id in the screenshot has no link whatsover to Apple accounts at all.

People might want to check what comes up under "My Info" in Mail settings for iCloud.

dtbratt
Jun 12, 2012, 08:08 PM
Try doing a reset of your devices. Wasn't working properly on my iPad 3. Did a reset and now it's linked to my iPhones #.

iThink Apple
Jun 12, 2012, 08:16 PM
Try doing a reset of your devices. Wasn't working properly on my iPad 3. Did a reset and now it's linked to my iPhones #. Which reset? Its not working for me either ;(

falcora
Jun 12, 2012, 08:51 PM
Yes, make sure that your iCloud email is setup on your ipad as a "Receive messages at:" option. As soon as I added my @me.com email, it asked me if I wanted to receive messages from my phone # linked to my iphone.

GeorgieAcevedo
Jun 12, 2012, 08:58 PM
I have it set on my iPad that only shows number :D

Burton8219
Jun 12, 2012, 09:07 PM
Can't get it to even allow me to put my number into the Messages settings in ML... if someone can post a screen of their ML Messages settings just so I know I'm not nuts and it can be done I would appreciate it lol

Nikhil72
Jun 12, 2012, 09:10 PM
Will this work f I only have iOS 6 on my iPad and noton my iPhone?

SanjeevRana
Jun 12, 2012, 09:15 PM
Can't get it to even allow me to put my number into the Messages settings in ML... if someone can post a screen of their ML Messages settings just so I know I'm not nuts and it can be done I would appreciate it lol

ML ?

Will this work f I only have iOS 6 on my iPad and noton my iPhone?

I don't think so ... The number needs to be used at least once on ios6

Burton8219
Jun 12, 2012, 09:23 PM
ML ?
Mountain Lion

SanjeevRana
Jun 12, 2012, 09:25 PM
Mountain Lion

Aha ....didn't see anyone use that acronym before :D

jazoi
Jun 12, 2012, 09:40 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to unlink your phone number from an Apple ID? I use a separate ID than my iTunes ID for iCloud and everything else. Now it seems to be linked to my iTunes ID which I do not want. I sign out and sign in with my iCloud one and my phone number will not come up.

Gala
Jun 13, 2012, 07:35 AM
I notice these screen shots are of an iPhone or iPad. Anyone able to prove that all of this will also be present on the final Mountain Lion release.

nicksere
Sep 21, 2012, 08:45 PM
If you are on Messages on your mac do you still get the notification sound on your iPhone or did they fix that too? And i even have a "Start a new conversation from" category. Whats going on with that?

nikmash232
Sep 23, 2012, 09:49 PM
I just logged out and logged back in and my phone number showed up in the Messages app in Mountain Lion make sure you are update to 10.8.2.