PDA

View Full Version : Any chance for Google to release Google Maps in the app store?

haruhiko
Jun 12, 2012, 12:33 AM
In the few months or years that Apple makes its maps perfect, we still need a mature alternative... and Google has Street View which I use it very often. :(

Carlanga
Jun 12, 2012, 12:36 AM
Most likely yes it will come out.
Apples' new offering I think is better than the current Google Maps app on the iPhone though.

irDigital0l
Jun 12, 2012, 12:52 AM
Probably...and I hope they release a better youtube app too.

I hate the stock one...more now that Apple/Google/whoever hasn't updated it yet since like its release.

unobtainium
Jun 12, 2012, 01:27 AM
Apples' new offering I think is better than the current Google Maps app on the iPhone though.

Depends what you use it for. If you use it for transit directions it's completely useless now.

falcora
Jun 12, 2012, 01:28 AM
Having used both, Apple's solution blows google maps out of the water. There is literally no reason to use google maps instead.

unobtainium
Jun 12, 2012, 01:31 AM
Having used both, Apple's solution blows google maps out of the water. There is literally no reason to use google maps instead.

Read my post above. If you need transit information Apple's solution is completely useless. Can't believe they dropped that functionality.

falcora
Jun 12, 2012, 01:33 AM
Read my post above. If you need transit information Apple's solution is completely useless. Can't believe they dropped that functionality.

Yes, i suppose this is the exception. As of now, it prompts you to download an app from the store instead. Hopefully they include similar bus and train schedules before it leaves beta.

rikahlberg
Jun 12, 2012, 01:57 AM
Depends what you use it for. If you use it for transit directions it's completely useless now.

It actually looks like walking and transit directions are in Apple's new Maps. A screenshot from The Verge:

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4324316/ios6-dev-beta-103_gallery_post.jpg (http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/3078868/ios-6-developer-beta-screenshots#3448704)

Whether they're any good or will be included in the released version remains to be seen.

haruhiko
Jun 12, 2012, 02:00 AM

Yes if more countries are supported.
Right now many places are just empty in the map of my city.

rovex
Jun 12, 2012, 03:00 AM
Next year we're almost guaranteed a streetview equivalent it's always the case with Apple not going full throttle on new and improved applications.

falcora
Jun 12, 2012, 11:29 AM
Next year we're almost guaranteed a streetview equivalent it's always the case with Apple not going full throttle on new and improved applications.

Yeah lets see them put their 100 billion in the bank to good use.

RoboCop001
Jun 12, 2012, 11:31 AM
It actually looks like walking and transit directions are in Apple's new Maps. A screenshot from The Verge:

Image (http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/3078868/ios-6-developer-beta-screenshots#3448704)

Whether they're any good or will be included in the released version remains to be seen.

They also said they're integrating Transit apps into the Maps app during the keynote.

I wonder if that means that's how the transit routing will work? I wonder how this integration will work too. Will it show live ETA for buses?

Basically, if Rocket Man (best TTC app ever) could integrate into Maps that would be the perfect thing.

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 11:37 AM

Compared to iOS's old version of Google Maps right?

I'm praying Google ports the android version of their maps app over to iOS. That thing is amazing.

Electric turd
Jun 12, 2012, 11:40 AM

Unless you have an iPhone 4. I will not buy another iPhone just to get a map "update". I use to have a droid with google navigation and from what I've seen from apple, google blows them out of the water. When you say you have used both. Which both are we talking about? Are you referring to the old maps app? That was all apples doings.

Jordan921
Jun 12, 2012, 11:46 AM
Yes if more countries are supported.
Right now many places are just empty in the map of my city.

Did you also forget this was beta version of iOS 6?

Daveoc64
Jun 12, 2012, 01:02 PM
Did you also forget this was beta version of iOS 6?

There's a difference between accepting it's a beta and waiting for a miracle.

nlr
Jun 12, 2012, 01:23 PM
Google have been doing maps for years so I doubt Apple will ever come close to googles standard on android. I guess its better than the current iOS maps though..

KnightWRX
Jun 12, 2012, 01:40 PM

Google doesn't have a Maps app on the iPhone right now. Are you thinking of Apple's stock Maps app ?

Aidoneus
Jun 12, 2012, 01:47 PM
Google have been doing maps for years so I doubt Apple will ever come close to googles standard on android. I guess its better than the current iOS maps though..

The Maps solution included in iOS 6 has already far surpassed Google's "effort".

Even on the stolen Android OS, Google Maps can't hold a candle to the new iOS 6 Maps.

Clinteastman
Jun 12, 2012, 02:18 PM
The Maps solution included in iOS 6 has already far surpassed Google's "effort".

Even on the stolen Android OS, Google Maps can't hold a candle to the new iOS 6 Maps.

"Google's effort" as you put it was actually made by Apple, Google Earth is the only google map app on iOS.

The satellite images for my area (UK) is about 5 years behind the Google/Bing images resolution wise.

Carlanga
Jun 12, 2012, 02:34 PM
Most people use it to get directions to go somewhere so yes; only people that have street view are missing on a cool feature that most don't use.

Google doesn't have a Maps app on the iPhone right now. Are you thinking of Apple's stock Maps app ?
Apple stock Maps app is made by Google up to our current iOS 5.

Gromet
Jun 12, 2012, 02:45 PM

WOW, Seriously? Google is WORLDS ahead of Apple. Did you watch this Google Event held a few weeks before WWDC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMBJ2Hu0NLw

Check it out, jump to 44 minutes in to check out the 3D Stuff... Even the Apple term Flyover is unoriginal.

I want to know when Apple will stop wasting money on technology to put in the iPhone that is already there and being done better.

..Gromet

WordMasterRice
Jun 12, 2012, 02:47 PM
Most people use it to get directions to go somewhere so yes; only people that have street view are missing on a cool feature that most don't use.

Do you understand what transit navigation does/is?

Using Google's maps != Made by Google

skywalkerr69
Jun 12, 2012, 02:49 PM
I wouldn't bet on it. And if you do, i have a bridge to sell you. :rolleyes:

VSMacOne
Jun 12, 2012, 02:56 PM

I would say that yesterday's release was a pretty huge step in the right direction, and Google definitely has something to worry about. Apple can build some darn good apps, and with the mapping companies they've bought, I wouldn't be surprised if they matched Google (maybe even pass it) before long.
Again, for a beta product that's not even close to finished, this is pretty good. They need some work on the actual maps and speed of the app.

Also, I hear Forstall say they are not going to include Transit info, but rather promote App Store transit apps thru the Maps app. More money for the developers and more money for Apple :D

Carlanga
Jun 12, 2012, 02:58 PM
Do you understand what transit navigation does/is?
Yes, don't see what is your issue.

Using Google's maps != Made by Google

Yes, it is. iOS 6 is the first time Apple does it's own cartography. Whoever draws a map is the one that can call it theirs.

FelixDerKater
Jun 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
There's no doubt Google Maps will make it into the App Store, but the question that will linger is how long it will take for Apple to approve it.

WordMasterRice
Jun 12, 2012, 03:02 PM
Yes, it is. iOS 6 is the first time Apple does it's own cartography. Whoever draws a map is the one that can call it theirs.

Can't tell if serious. It is the first time they made their own maps, it's not the first time they've made the maps app.

And I take it you don't understand transit maps then?

VSMacOne
Jun 12, 2012, 03:04 PM
WOW, Seriously? Google is WORLDS ahead of Apple. Did you watch this Google Event held a few weeks before WWDC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMBJ2Hu0NLw

Check it out, jump to 44 minutes in to check out the 3D Stuff... Even the Apple term Flyover is unoriginal.

I want to know when Apple will stop wasting money on technology to put in the iPhone that is already there and being done better.

..Gromet

Wait am I the only one who thinks it's funny that they demo'ed all those apps on an iPad and not an Android tablet? Just sayin'...:eek:

artgalgenius
Jun 12, 2012, 03:11 PM
Also, I hear Forstall say they are not going to include Transit info, but rather promote App Store transit apps thru the Maps app. More money for the developers and more money for Apple :D

I think that is a good call. If there are any delays/issues/alternate routes to the schedule the user would get updated info on the app. Apple would only be able to provide a standard schedule and not reflect any changes.

mavis
Jun 12, 2012, 03:44 PM

Unless you live outside the US (like most of the world's population), in which case Apple's Maps are pathetically bad. As in, unusable and worthless. For example, if you zoom in on Tokyo Station - one of the busiest train stations in the world - on Apple maps, you'll see a single label: 東京駅. It's almost as if they spent a whopping thirty seconds throwing it together. On Google Maps you'll see that same label, plus its English translation, and dozens of other names in both English and Japanese - street names, station names, neighborhood names, etc. Oh, and you'll also see stuff like train lines, bus stop locations, etc.

So Apple Maps probably looks decent for the States, but the engineers involved in making it obviously don't get out too much because overseas, it's a joke.

SurferMan
Jun 12, 2012, 05:12 PM
Having used both, Apple's solution blows google maps out of the water. There is literally no reason to use google maps instead.Huh? Pretty sure he meant the Android version of Maps and Nav, the one that was on iPhones is not even remotely comparable to the Android one. Google stated they would bring an app version of the Android one to iOS (which would be awesome since it's going to be updated to offline use as well shortly), however they said the final decision rest with Apple to allow it to be placed into the App Store.

redtapemedia
Jun 12, 2012, 06:36 PM
Apple's Maps data in Australia is TERRIBLE. It shows almost no names of any towns outside of major cities, and the names it does show are of shires, not the towns. They're not tiny places either: when you don't show the name of a town with 40,000 residents there's an issue. I would hope it would improve by the end of the beta, but it seems like there's a colossal amount of work to be done before it's semi usable.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 12, 2012, 06:41 PM
The more maps the merrier.

mavis
Jun 12, 2012, 06:56 PM
Apple's Maps data in Australia is TERRIBLE. It shows almost no names of any towns outside of major cities, and the names it does show are of shires, not the towns. They're not tiny places either: when you don't show the name of a town with 40,000 residents there's an issue. I would hope it would improve by the end of the beta, but it seems like there's a colossal amount of work to be done before it's semi usable.

Don't feel too bad - I live in a city of 31 million, but not one of the 882 train stations here are shown on the map, nor are any other structures. According to Apple, I live in the middle of a field.

iPhoneApple
Jun 12, 2012, 07:23 PM
Why doesn't apple integrate google maps into their mapping solution until theirs is fully finished?

schizbomb
Jun 12, 2012, 07:32 PM
There's a possibility that Apple hasn't fully enabled all their maps, because TomTom has a great coverage of maps, but here in town it doesn't have my 45 year old street yet. I think it will be fine at release, there is no way they can release it now, it's just beta though.

redtapemedia
Jun 12, 2012, 08:11 PM
There's a possibility that Apple hasn't fully enabled all their maps, because TomTom has a great coverage of maps, but here in town it doesn't have my 45 year old street yet. I think it will be fine at release, there is no way they can release it now, it's just beta though.

Hoping that's the case. TomTom actually license a lot of their map data from other companies though, so hopefully that isn't a barrier to Apple's use.

surma884
Jun 12, 2012, 08:15 PM
Relax people. Google didn't just get this good with maps overnight. They've been at it for years. You can't expect Apple to match that in such a short time. It will take them a couple years to catch up. Apple bought out some mapping companies so they wouldn't have to start from scratch.

redtapemedia
Jun 12, 2012, 09:32 PM
Relax people. Google didn't just get this good with maps overnight. They've been at it for years. You can't expect Apple to match that in such a short time. It will take them a couple years to catch up. Apple bought out some mapping companies so they wouldn't have to start from scratch.

Understand, BUT at this point in the game, Apple have to move quickly or people WILL be upset. Most will perceive shortcomings as feature removals. "The last version of the software could do it, why cant this." Most will neither know, nor care, that the underlying map provider has changed. That is the reality, and Apple need to step up and be competitive. They don't have a "couple of years to catch up".

taedouni
Jun 12, 2012, 09:49 PM
Don't count on it. Apple had Google Maps on its phone only because it did not have its own service. Now that Apple has their own maps, they can just chose not to approve Google's Map application.

unobtainium
Jun 12, 2012, 09:53 PM
Understand, BUT at this point in the game, Apple have to move quickly or people WILL be upset. Most will perceive shortcomings as feature removals. "The last version of the software could do it, why cant this." Most will neither know, nor care, that the underlying map provider has changed. That is the reality, and Apple need to step up and be competitive. They don't have a "couple of years to catch up".

Exactly. This is an extremely critical feature for a smartphone. If Apple is interested in staying competitive in a market that moves at lightning speed, they need to make sure they're not taking away features in supposed software updates.

Here's hoping that the beta just doesn't have access to the majority of their mapping data.

moderngamenewb
Jun 12, 2012, 10:01 PM
Yes, i suppose this is the exception. As of now, it prompts you to download an app from the store instead. Hopefully they include similar bus and train schedules before it leaves beta.

They removed transit directions? Well that stinks. Please tell me that they at least kept walking directions

Archer1440
Jun 13, 2012, 01:44 AM
Unless you live outside the US (like most of the world's population), in which case Apple's Maps are pathetically bad. As in, unusable and worthless. For example, if you zoom in on Tokyo Station - one of the busiest train stations in the world - on Apple maps, you'll see a single label: 東京駅. It's almost as if they spent a whopping thirty seconds throwing it together. On Google Maps you'll see that same label, plus its English translation, and dozens of other names in both English and Japanese - street names, station names, neighborhood names, etc. Oh, and you'll also see stuff like train lines, bus stop locations, etc.

So Apple Maps probably looks decent for the States, but the engineers involved in making it obviously don't get out too much because overseas, it's a joke.

I travel to Japan at least 6 times per year. This is a deal breaker for me.

mrsir2009
Jun 13, 2012, 01:59 AM

They did?! Wait, so you can't type in a start and destination, get a route and see an estimate of how long it will take you to walk/drive/bus?

mavis
Jun 13, 2012, 03:41 AM
I travel to Japan at least 6 times per year. This is a deal breaker for me.
Tell me about it. I mean, if Apple Maps are to be believed, Tokyo Station is a dot surrounded by fields. Never mind the fact that it either hasn't been able to find anything I've searched for or has found it, right in the middle of green fields. Bizarre that Apple thought this was even close to ready for beta testing. If anything, it's pre-alpha, if there is such a thing. Concept app? :rolleyes:

musio
Jun 13, 2012, 04:02 AM
Even if google doesn't release though the app store, they should do a web app like the youtube web app which is better than the built in iPhone app... I've added it to my homescreen and hey presto.

The money in ads alone that google would make would be worthwhile and apple can't do anything about google creative an iPhone web version..

WeegieMac
Jun 13, 2012, 04:21 AM
I hope the new Google Maps is approved for the App Store, because while I appreciate this is Apple's first attempt at Maps, when I go to Satellite view above my home it's nothing but a mash of green and brown pixels.

On the old maps I could zoom in so far I could clearly see the Gazebo and BBQ in my back garden, telling me that the images were captured on the morning of my 30th birthday BBQ in 2009!

Little comparison:

Glasgow on iOS 6 on iPad 3 on the left. Glasgow on iOS 5 on iPhone 4 on the right.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6051/59795592.png

steve-p
Jun 13, 2012, 05:20 AM
Little comparison:

Glasgow on iOS 6 on iPad 3 on the left. Glasgow on iOS 5 on iPhone 4 on the right.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6051/59795592.png
Wow, that sucks. It's like going back to 2005 era Google Earth.

KnightWRX
Jun 13, 2012, 06:42 AM

Nope, Apple made it. It uses Google tiles, but the code is 100% Apple. Don't confuse things.

----------

Don't count on it. Apple had Google Maps on its phone only because it did not have its own service. Now that Apple has their own maps, they can just chose not to approve Google's Map application.

So much for user experience. :rolleyes:

surma884
Jun 13, 2012, 08:39 AM

Yeah, from the consumer standpoint this is true. I hope they allow Google to put their Maps app in the app store so people can use the one that they like.

cjmillsnun
Jun 13, 2012, 09:31 AM

I'll dispute that completely. I posted in another thread examples of Apple's poor cartography (fundamental digitising errors) and low res satellite imagery. Google Maps (as much as I hate it) is a better solution at this time

----------

Sadly it isn't better at this time.

mattpreston11
Jun 13, 2012, 09:38 AM
The issue will be if Google will assign the resources to create the App.

It will have to be written from scratch seeing as the existing Maps app is technically Apples code.

cjmillsnun
Jun 13, 2012, 09:40 AM
Hoping that's the case. TomTom actually license a lot of their map data from other companies though, so hopefully that isn't a barrier to Apple's use.

That isn't actually true. TomTom own Tele-Atlas who gather the data, and they also rely on crowd sourced data.

I don't accept that the reason so much information is missing is because it's a Beta.

When it goes to the public beta stage, and as far as Apple is concerned, developer previews are the closest you'll get to a public beta, the underlying data should be complete.

----------

The issue will be if Google will assign the resources to create the App.

It will have to be written from scratch seeing as the existing Maps app is technically Apples code.

Google have already said they want to...

Tarzanman
Jun 13, 2012, 01:39 PM
I'd be shocked if Apple allowed a full on version of Google Maps onto iOS.

It would almost completely defeat the purpose for them offering a native option

steve-p
Jun 13, 2012, 01:41 PM
I'd be shocked if Apple allowed a full on version of Google Maps onto iOS.

It would almost completely defeat the purpose for them offering a native option
Actually it would achieve the primary purpose, not paying Google any fees.

kpkp
Jun 13, 2012, 01:56 PM
If you read the Engadget live blog from the last Google Maps event you should get the answer you seek:
QA section:
Yet another question about Maps on iOS: "Will you make the iOS version of Maps as good as the one on Android?"

Brian: "Again, we'd like to bring all services to all platforms."
He also said that he's "working very hard" to bring offline Maps to iOS -- "it's just a question of when that'll happen." Hmmm...

And one more Quote from the event:
"In the coming weeks, we'll bring this 3D imagery to both Android and iOS devices."

And we should not forget the demo device on the event was an iPad.

DieAllianz
Jun 13, 2012, 02:04 PM
[COLOR="Silver"]
He also said that he's "working very hard" to bring offline Maps to iOS -- "it's just a question of when that'll happen." Hmmm...

Best iOS6-news so far!

TLewis
Jun 13, 2012, 03:16 PM
Even if Apple allows the app (certainly not a given), I'm not sure that google will release anything remotely good. Google's gmail and google voice apps aren't exactly good ones.

Daveoc64
Jun 13, 2012, 04:26 PM
If you read the Engadget live blog from the last Google Maps event you should get the answer you seek:
QA section:
Yet another question about Maps on iOS: "Will you make the iOS version of Maps as good as the one on Android?"

Brian: "Again, we'd like to bring all services to all platforms."

And one more Quote from the event:
"In the coming weeks, we'll bring this 3D imagery to both Android and iOS devices."

And we should not forget the demo device on the event was an iPad.

The demos that they showed were in the Google Earth app.

It's already on the App Store, so it'd only need an update to add the new 3D images.

Offline maps are a different story though.

redtapemedia
Jun 14, 2012, 07:12 AM
That isn't actually true. TomTom own Tele-Atlas who gather the data, and they also rely on crowd sourced data.

Depends on which country you're referring to. In Australia they use map data from Sensis, which is owned by Telstra.

rikahlberg
Jun 14, 2012, 02:57 PM
They removed transit directions? Well that stinks. Please tell me that they at least kept walking directions

From what I've heard, walking directions work in Apple's Maps. But clicking the little bus icon for transit directions sends you to the App Store and provides a blank screen, where I'm assuming at some point you'll get to pick a transit app.

Google Maps also works perfectly from their mobile site, including transit and waking directions. And I'm sure some apps will still pull data directly from Google rather than use Apple.

hot spare
Jun 14, 2012, 03:48 PM
And I'm sure some apps will still pull data directly from Google rather than use Apple.

I don't think you can do that. Google map is not free for commercial usage. If any app tries to pull the data from g maps, they will need to pay.

ebolamonkey3
Jun 14, 2012, 04:43 PM
I think the chance of Google releasing their standalone Maps app is very high. Don't know if Apple will allow it or not though.

newagemac
Jun 14, 2012, 04:59 PM

Motorola, Sony, LG, Blackberry, Nokia, Microsoft, and others were doing phones and phone OSes for years before Apple stepped on the scene with the iPhone and now look what happened. I would say doing an entire phone is much harder than doing maps.

Google has to be extremely worried about Apple getting into the mapping business if you ask me.

Cybbe
Jun 14, 2012, 05:03 PM
Thats a stupid argument, because it's basically saying everything Apple touches turns to gold, and that's that. I don't feel compelled. We've seen Apple hand. We know Google's offering.

LastLine
Jun 14, 2012, 05:20 PM
In the few months or years that Apple makes its maps perfect, we still need a mature alternative... and Google has Street View which I use it very often. :(

I'd say I'm pretty certain Google will be allowed to have a Maps app on the app store :)

Calidude
Jun 14, 2012, 05:23 PM
Google will probably make an app and put it on the App Store just to publicly embarrass Apple for their mapping solution and to get all those users back.

irDigital0l
Jun 14, 2012, 05:40 PM
Apple decides to make turn-by-turn navigation and flyover iPhone 4S only.

Google releases their own app that can do it for the iPhone 4.

I still profit.

I think Apple should have really kicked Google and made turn by turn for everyone.

What happens when people who want those features but Apple blocks them and google comes out with an app? Doesnt it make it look like Google is "caring"?

Rogifan
Jun 14, 2012, 05:55 PM
Unless Google is maki a ton of money having a maps app in iOS why would they do it? Just more of an incentive to get people to buy an Android phone. And would Apple even allow it in the app store if it's in direct competiton with Apple's new maps app?