PDA

View Full Version : iOS 6 on iPhone 4

dj95
Jun 12, 2012, 02:31 AM
Has anyone been able to test the performance of iOS 6 on the iPhone 4? As in are there any slowdowns compared to iOS 5? Cheers!

meget
Jun 12, 2012, 02:45 AM
I have iPhone 4. Yeah its a bit slower, one e-mail i tried opening loaded forever. It was plain HTML. Also some apps would take ages to load. It's almost fine m8, i am sure they will work out the bugs bit later but right now its a bit with a sluggish performance but bearable though.

kiwiboi87
Jun 12, 2012, 03:06 AM
but its normal for the first beta to be a bit slow,
we should only really get worried once new betas come out and theres no improvements

if by GM time, its still slow i will be skipping it.

jrock2004
Jun 12, 2012, 09:27 AM
I am curious is siri on the iPhone4 now or did they not add it?

jun234
Jun 12, 2012, 09:44 AM
The loading or data accessing is a bit slow, but when i scroll though the UI, like in the home screen, it's pretty much smoother than iOS 5.

Smith288
Jun 12, 2012, 12:18 PM
I am curious is siri on the iPhone4 now or did they not add it?

Not there and I don't think it ever will be.

Che Castro
Jun 12, 2012, 12:59 PM
Can you facetime over 3g now on the iphone 4 ?

And does turn by turn voice work on maps?

iapplelove
Jun 12, 2012, 01:05 PM
Can you facetime over 3g now on the iphone 4 ?

And does turn by turn voice work on maps?

Not sure about FaceTime but definitely a no go for turn by turn on the 4

Che Castro
Jun 12, 2012, 01:20 PM

Can you try to make a facetime call over 3g

Smith288
Jun 12, 2012, 01:33 PM
Can you try to make a facetime call over 3g

Doesn't let me on my iPhone 4.

cwood1009
Jun 12, 2012, 01:51 PM
Its supposed to be enabled for iphone 4 and ipad 2, but i cant get those to work. It works on a Verizon Iphone 4s.

eezing
Jun 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
Safari is faster

----------

Features that don't work on iPhone 4:

1. Turn by Turn
2. 3D flyover
3. FaceTime over 3G
4. Siri (now available on the New iPad)
5. Made for iPhone hearing Aids

Che Castro
Jun 12, 2012, 02:11 PM
I guess ill have to jailbreak the iphone 4 to get facetime over 3g on ios 6 as well

kiwiboi87
Jun 12, 2012, 02:14 PM
FaceTime over 3g is meant to work on the 4 upwards
remember it will come down to the phone carriers

parrot5
Jun 12, 2012, 02:17 PM
I find iOS 6 faster than my jailbroken iOS 5.1.1 (and 5.1, and 5.0). Scrolling and swipes are smoother all over (except Facebook, which is slow as always),

WeegieMac
Jun 12, 2012, 02:25 PM

Yesterday the iOS 6 site said iPhone 4 and above. Today it reads 4S and iPad 2 and above. No FaceTime over 3G on the iPhone 4, so 3G unrestrictor will be used again.

Reaktor5
Jun 12, 2012, 02:27 PM
Yesterday the iOS 6 site said iPhone 4 and above. Today it reads 4S and iPad 2 and above. No FaceTime over 3G on the iPhone 4, so 3G unrestrictor will be used again.

Apple's subtle (or not so subtle way) of enticing you to upgrade to a 4S or 5. :p

kiwiboi87
Jun 12, 2012, 02:32 PM

omg

WeegieMac
Jun 12, 2012, 02:32 PM
Apple's subtle (or not so subtle way) of enticing you to upgrade to a 4S or 5. :p

I'll be getting the new iPhone sometime in th New Year, but that was always my plan and nothing to do with Apple, lol. Honest ...

kiwiboi87
Jun 12, 2012, 02:33 PM

omg
are you for real?
that sucks,

ok iOS 6, not looking as hot anymore

WeegieMac
Jun 12, 2012, 02:33 PM
omg

Edit: thank God you expanded because I had no idea why just omg was implying lol

Reaktor5
Jun 12, 2012, 02:35 PM
I'll be getting the new iPhone sometime in th New Year, but that was always my plan and nothing to do with Apple, lol. Honest ...

As is mine. I upgrade every two years when my contract runs up which just so happens to be on Apple's cycle of releasing a significantly new iPhone. ;)

I had the 3G then got the 4 and now I'm patiently waiting for the 5.

WeegieMac
Jun 12, 2012, 02:36 PM
I'd really like to try out this beta. Any devs needing app beta testers? lol

----------

As is mine. I upgrade every two years when my contract runs up which just so happens to be on Apple's cycle of releasing a significantly new iPhone. ;)

I had the 3G then got the 4 and now I'm patiently waiting for the 5.

Same upgrade route as me mate.

C DM
Jun 12, 2012, 03:31 PM
Yesterday the iOS 6 site said iPhone 4 and above. Today it reads 4S and iPad 2 and above. No FaceTime over 3G on the iPhone 4, so 3G unrestrictor will be used again.Looks like (now) it actually says iPhone 4S or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability--so no go for iPhone 4 (in addition to 3GS) and iPad 2. Things are getting more and more restrictive almost by the minute it seems. :confused:

*Calypso*
Jun 12, 2012, 03:41 PM

... and force all your friends to upgrade as well? Facetime makes even less sense when only 50% of your friends own an iPhone and only 50% of those have the iPhone 4S/5. Why wouldn't Apple allow this on all iOS 6 devices? This and a stable voice-only option could finally make normal costly phone calls expendable.

Reaktor5
Jun 12, 2012, 03:53 PM
... and force all your friends to upgrade as well? Facetime makes even less sense when only 50% of your friends own an iPhone and only 50% of those have the iPhone 4S/5. Why wouldn't Apple allow this on all iOS 6 devices? This and a stable voice-only option could finally make normal costly phone calls expendable.

Battery concerns maybe?

FaceTime is a novelty for me, I used it once when I first got my iPhone 4 two years ago and haven't launched it since.

fox10078
Jun 12, 2012, 04:11 PM
My iPhone 4 is actually faster than it was on iOS 5. I'm actually nicely surprised.

stuffradio
Jun 12, 2012, 04:58 PM
Apple really wants iOS 6 to be a major fail. I can't upgrade my iPhone 4 until 2014, even though I got an iPhone 4 in August and had it delivered early September 2010. So don't tell me to just upgrade to the latest iPhone when my carrier won't let me.

sammee
Jun 12, 2012, 09:24 PM
Its supposed to be enabled for iphone 4 and ipad 2, but i cant get those to work. It works on a Verizon Iphone 4s.

iPad 2 does not have Siri.

photoelectric
Jun 12, 2012, 10:31 PM
I am staying on iOS 5 on my ip4. Waiting for the 5 to use iOS 6

irDigital0l
Jun 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
My iPhone 4 is actually faster than it was on iOS 5. I'm actually nicely surprised.

That nice to hear.

Although I do think I will be getting the new iPhone coming later this year.

dreadnort
Jun 13, 2012, 02:18 AM
my 2pence worth

i'm finding it slower than 5.1.1,
maps is no better infact alot worst than google maps both of which rely on 3g navfree is a far better option and does not need to download the maps as you move.
the signal drops out where 5.1.1 was more stable.
i cant comment on the battery as it's only been running since last night
forget siri altogether it's still not support fully outside the US
passbook has no apps available for it so renders than useless currently
Facebook and twitter intergration is good if you use these, makes adding photos a doddle.
reply with message is a good little feature
most of the other features now introduced will only work with 4s and new Ipad

dopeytree
Jun 13, 2012, 05:23 AM
I can't even make calls anymore on my GSM iPhone!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15026160#post15026160

dj95
Jun 14, 2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys, after seeing various reports on the performance it looks like it runs at least the same as iOS 5 if not smoother in certain cases. Can't wait to see if the final release is still like that though ;)

Fuzzy.Dunlop
Jun 14, 2012, 10:49 AM
What a pile of crap if FaceTime over 3G won't work, as someone said about the (original) iPad and IOS6, less than a year ago the iPhone4 was the top of the range phone

Pathetic if it turns out to be true and shows the way Apple are going now they're top dog

beestigbeestje
Jun 14, 2012, 11:38 AM
feels super sluggish to me for the moment, but we'll see how things go. It's still much too early to make these comparisons.

Very slow to open camera app.
Music app is unusable buggy sometimes.

iOS 5 felt slow too.
iOS 4 was fast. Oh, how do I miss the good old days..

dj95
Jun 30, 2012, 12:34 PM
Cheers! Can anyone clarify on battery life differences? Seems so far that it is again the same to better? Thanks :)

liquidsuns
Jun 30, 2012, 12:53 PM
Beta 1 didn't run so well on it. Upwards of twenty second freezes when launching just about anything. Beta 2, on the other hand, is like a totally different OS. Everything is pretty fast now, some little freezes here and there, but on par with , if not slightly faster then, iOS 5. For me anyways.

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 30, 2012, 02:13 PM
After I deleted all the "With Friends" games, the phone is a lot faster with Beta 2.

dhartung02
Jun 30, 2012, 02:21 PM
After i found out they crippled a bunch of the cool features for iPhone 4 users, my interest in iOS6 has severely wained. I guess i will be waiting for the iPhone 5!

BHP41
Jul 1, 2012, 05:56 AM
Apple really wants iOS 6 to be a major fail. I can't upgrade my iPhone 4 until 2014, even though I got an iPhone 4 in August and had it delivered early September 2010. So don't tell me to just upgrade to the latest iPhone when my carrier won't let me.

Not sure why everyone is upset at upgrading. With every new iPhone release there are people looking to upgrade to a used iPhone or from a early model iPhone. Sell you 4, cough up roughly the same as a upgrade, maybe a $100 more and you have a new phone.

----------

What a pile of crap if FaceTime over 3G won't work, as someone said about the (original) iPad and IOS6, less than a year ago the iPhone4 was the top of the range phone

Pathetic if it turns out to be true and shows the way Apple are going now they're top dog

I agree with not having FaceTime over 3G work with the 4. It came out with the 4 so any improvements to it should be available on the 4. There is absolutely no reason it shouldn't be on there. I'll be upgrading this year but a few of my friends will still be on the 4. Sad really. A few hundred thousand emails to T.Cook might help.

wafl iron
Jul 5, 2012, 09:57 PM
ios6 is a marketing tactic to get iphone 4 users to upgrade to iphone5

Drunken Master
Jul 5, 2012, 10:52 PM
Facetime makes even less sense when only 50% of your friends own an iPhone and only 50% of those have the iPhone 4S/5.

And 99% of the time they'd rather text or make a normal call, not FaceTime.

dj95
Jul 17, 2012, 09:36 AM
Any updates now that Beta 3 is out now guys??

CallOfDuty
Jul 17, 2012, 11:45 AM
Any updates now that Beta 3 is out now guys??

Can't wait for some answers too. I have an iPhone 4 and I just can't stop but wonder how iOS 6 really works on my 2 years old device :o . I've had my own thread of course, but it just doesn't give me satisfying answers although with the help of some helpful forumers.
It makes me wonder why is there no video comparison of the performance in iOS 6 specifically on the iPhone 4 or even the 3GS- after all these devices are soon to become legacy devices.

njaremka
Jul 17, 2012, 12:05 PM
Beta 1 just plain sucked, and made me go back to iOS 5. Beta 2 was actually usable, and Beta 3 seems to be working at least as good as 2.

pk7
Jul 17, 2012, 12:16 PM
It makes me wonder why is there no video comparison of the performance in iOS 6 specifically on the iPhone 4 or even the 3GS

Coming sometime in the next few weeks :) as soon as I get beta 3 up and running on my old iPhone 3GS. I wish I had an iPhone 4 to compare it with though. My dad has one but probably won't let me put beta software on his primary phone. I'm thinking of doing an iPhone 4 vs. iPhone 3GS on iOS 5 video for now, and then a video showing off iOS 6 solely on the iPhone 3GS sometime in the coming weeks. Hopefully people will find one or both of those videos interesting.

zbarvian
Jul 18, 2012, 06:02 PM
I just got Beta 3 up and running on my iPhone 4. In terms of performance, it definitely still feels beta and there's some slight jerkiness in a lot of the animations and occasional speed hiccups, but it's perfectly usable. Some parts actually feel faster, though, like the share menus and Safari. Honestly I'm digging the graphical changes in iOS 6, the UI looks far cleaner and more modern. Say what you will about Apple Maps vs. Google Maps, but the Maps application on iOS 6 is vastly superior to that of iOS 5, just from a UI standpoint. Hope this helps.

Edit:

So after syncing and downloading updates the whole software experience feels pretty snappy, it's a pleasant surprise.

fortheus
Jul 19, 2012, 12:32 AM

I don't think they ever said facetime over 3G. They said facetime over CELLULAR, and by then it means only for iphone 4S onwards as it is not regular using regular 3G chip like iphone 3G/3GS/4

alan7467
Jul 19, 2012, 08:45 PM
Beta 2 brought major performance issues to my iPhone 4. Made the phone almost unusable.

Beta 3 on the other hand is running fast and smooth for me. Faster in fact than iOS 5 ever did. There still are bugs (I've had various apps freeze my phone requiring a hard restart), but I like it overall. Now I'm just hoping the next betas don't turn back the clock.

zbarvian
Jul 19, 2012, 09:53 PM
One issue I'm having on my iPhone 4 with beta 3 though is battery life, my phone can't even last a day. I think it's a location service bug, because that icon is almost always present in the top right.

fortheus
Jul 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
One issue I'm having on my iPhone 4 with beta 3 though is battery life, my phone can't even last a day. I think it's a location service bug, because that icon is almost always present in the top right.

Do you use reminder with location parameter?

zbarvian
Jul 19, 2012, 11:03 PM
Do you use reminder with location parameter?

Not at the moment. I went in and turned off all location services besides Maps. Passbook was enabled for some reason.

fortheus
Jul 20, 2012, 01:35 AM
Not at the moment. I went in and turned off all location services besides Maps. Passbook was enabled for some reason.

If you have a pass, likely the pass is the culprit. Some pass enable location services and based on WWDC video I remember it check your location every time the screen is up. I can't confirm though

brylliant
Jul 20, 2012, 08:18 AM
My dad has it on his iPhone 4.
Initially, it was a bit slow but with beta 3 its much better.

Wrathwitch
Sep 8, 2012, 10:03 AM
Hmmm, I have been keeping an eye on how things will work on the iP4 because I have to determine whether it will be worth it for my mum (who I gave my iP4 to) whether it is worth "upgrading" to iOS6. So far it looks discouraging.

One thing I find of interest, although people complain that Android phones get left behind very fast by the manufacturers, always putting out the latest and greatest, some developers really support the various Android phones well after the makers and carriers have given up. Kind of neat actually.

njknight
Sep 9, 2012, 12:45 AM
Having an issue with my Apple ID on my 4 running Beta 4.

Take a look? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15613358#post15613358)

Izis
Sep 14, 2012, 10:03 AM
Any word on the GM Performance on the iPhone 4 please ?

bbfc
Sep 14, 2012, 10:16 AM
Any word on the GM Performance on the iPhone 4 please ?

Works flawlessly on my iPhone 4. The only issue I have encountered is the reported ones with the stores, but thats a back-end issue which will be fixed for next weeks launch.

Izis
Sep 14, 2012, 10:19 AM
more than on 5.1.1 ?

ryannel2003
Sep 14, 2012, 10:23 AM
I installed GM on my Verizon iPhone 4 and I'm impressed. Safari is much faster, all of the apps launch in the same amount of time as they did on iOS 5 and overall I'm very impressed with the update. I do wish I was getting Turn by Turn, but no big deal.