PDA

View Full Version : No keyboard improvements for iOS 6?

saintforlife
Jun 12, 2012, 02:32 AM
The iPhone keyboard sucks big time in its current form. The auto correct is terrible. Moving the cursor around is a hit or miss. I can't believe Apple didn't announce any innovative new features for the iOS keyboard. Atleast a Swype like keyboard at the minimum? Hell even the Blackberry 10 touchscreen keyboard looks leap years ahead of the iPhone keyboard. I am disappointed to say the least.

Another good reason the next iPhone needed to be WIDER with more horizontal pixels, not just taller. Forget developers, Apple should have been thinking about making users happy first.

saintforlife
Jun 12, 2012, 12:27 PM
Must read article [also video inside]:

http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-raids-blackberry-10-keyboard-magic-13227984/

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 12:46 PM
The iPhone keyboard sucks big time in its current form. The auto correct is terrible. Moving the cursor around is a hit or miss. I can't believe Apple didn't announce any innovative new features for the iOS keyboard. Atleast a Swype like keyboard at the minimum? Hell even the Blackberry 10 touchscreen keyboard looks leap years ahead of the iPhone keyboard. I am disappointed to say the least.

Another good reason the next iPhone needed to be WIDER with more horizontal pixels, not just taller. Forget developers, Apple should have been thinking about making users happy first.

I do not miss much from my Android phones, but I still dream about Swype.

Auzburner
Jun 12, 2012, 12:51 PM
The keyboard is actually a little different going from iOS 5.1.1 to 6 b1. It looks the same, but it's behaving slightly different. I can't tell if this is intentional or not, but I've had to make slight adjustments to my typing on the screen keyboard. It just feels slightly off or different.

Like you said though, I think Apple is having trouble abandoning it's original and simple, single approach with either a change to the keyboard or a choice. This could result in lesser user satisfaction... Who knows, this is a beta and there may be additional announcements along with the next iPhone launch and ultimately the launch of iOS 6.

gslrider
Jul 5, 2012, 02:36 PM
I agree the iPhone keyboard is terrible. My main issue isnít even about hitting the wrong key, itís when you hit a key, and nothing comes up. Itís like my fingers are faster than the iPhone can process them, which is unheard of. Or for some reason, you hit space and it does a return instead. Before plunging to the iPhone 4 years ago, I used to use mobiles with physical keys. Loved it. Which is why I was so apprehensive about getting the iPhone 3GS. But after playing around with friends' iPhones, I realized the keyboard was actually pretty good. The keyboard sold me on the 3GS. Not sure what they did, but prior to iOS 4, my 3GS under iOS 3.x.x was great when it came to the keyboard. I never had any issues. It was very responsive, and accurate. After iOS 4, thatís when I started noticing all the problems we currently see now. So definitely a programming issue.

My take, they should make something like what the Galaxy SII does, the finger sliding. Or incorporate a vibrate for each key pressed. At least that way youíll know you actually touched the key and it reacted accordingly. Sure they have the tone sound, but I find it annoying to hear clicking sounds every time I type. But ultimately, just make it work better than it does. The main issue for me with the iPhone keyboard, is it's not very responsive and accurate as it used to be in iOS 3.x.x.

The iPhone does many big things great. But the little things that DO matter, have suddenly been over looked the last couple of years. Itís like they concentrate on more BLING, than substance.

dsa1971
Jul 5, 2012, 04:22 PM
I guess I'm in he minority here. I've never had issues with the keyboard

mach
Jul 5, 2012, 05:37 PM
I agree the iPhone keyboard is terrible. My main issue isnít even about hitting the wrong key, itís when you hit a key, and nothing comes up. Itís like my fingers are faster than the iPhone can process them, which is unheard of.

This happens to me too, 70% of the time if not more. It just seems like the phone can't keep up with my fingers, it gets especially laggy when composing a longer message.

rorschach
Jul 5, 2012, 11:56 PM

Neither have I.

tbobmccoy
Jul 6, 2012, 12:26 AM
It seems that older phones with newer OSes always seem to have KB troubles. My iPhone 4 is struggling a bit with the keyboard in the latest iOS 5.1.1... I'm excited about a new iPhone just to see my keyboard return to fully functional... Also, that I've had this phone now for over 2 years. It's so beat up...

kockgunner
Jul 6, 2012, 01:56 AM
I agree that something happened since iOS 4 that made the keyboard really painful to use. I always thought it was temporary and that Apple would issue a fix, but the keyboard still drops letters and lags behind in visuals and also the clicking sound.

mrsir2009
Jul 6, 2012, 02:10 AM
I think the iOS keyboard is fine, with the exception of moving the cursor around - Two words: Incredibly tedious!

Chabba
Jul 7, 2012, 09:54 AM
Neither have I.

Same here. I had a Motorola Droid for 2 years. I have a 4S and the current RAZR. I still prefer the iOS keyboard over Android, even Swype.

MrAppleseed
Jul 7, 2012, 10:24 AM
Being a native German, I’m tired of the auto-correct replacing the female “the” (die) by the dative form of “you” (dir) all the time. Or, depending on its mood, the other way around. Thus, I agree, it definitely need tweaks. Plus, umlauts and Ŗ are horrible to type.

Roofy.
Jul 7, 2012, 11:06 AM
oh no! You actually have to type out words. How lazy do you have to be to want "swype" crap?

tmarks11
Jul 7, 2012, 01:22 PM
I think the iOS keyboard is fine, with the exception of moving the cursor around - Two words: Incredibly tedious!

++++1
Come on Apple, cursor keys. You know, like pc's had back in 1982? And every computer since then? How hard is that to understand that typing any length (including a short paragraph) sucks without them.

APlotdevice
Jul 7, 2012, 02:19 PM
++++1
Come on Apple, cursor keys. You know, like pc's had back in 1982? And every computer since then? How hard is that to understand that typing any length (including a short paragraph) sucks without them.

Except for the original Macintosh it's interesting to note:

http://lowendmac.com/keyboards/original-mac-keyboard.jpg

I guess Jobs was just always against arrow keys.

Futhark
Jul 7, 2012, 02:59 PM

Same for me. One feature I loved on my friends Galaxy S II was the kickback or vibrate feel as you typed.

Raftysworld
Jul 7, 2012, 04:23 PM
It's still by FAR the best keyboard available for any mobile platform. Every Android keyboard Google has released just continues to change slightly and is now almost fully morphed into an iOS clone. :apple:

chrf097
Jul 7, 2012, 04:27 PM
Except for the original Macintosh it's interesting to note:

Image (http://lowendmac.com/keyboards/original-mac-keyboard.jpg)

I guess Jobs was just always against arrow keys.

Jobs didn't include arrow keys on the Macintosh because he wanted people to get used to having to use a mouse to interact with the computer. Look where that got us now, huh? :P

Same for me. One feature I loved on my friends Galaxy S II was the kickback or vibrate feel as you typed.

You can jailbreak and get HapticPro which turns on Haptic feedback.

depths
Jul 7, 2012, 04:30 PM
Have you used SwiftKey 3?

v2club
Jul 7, 2012, 04:37 PM
Forget about the stupid Slide, how about SwiftKey? It's amazing keyboard that suggests you words based on the words you're typing at the moment. If I type Hi, it will suggest How as my next word, so I can type Hi, how are you in literally 4 clicks. It works amazingly well and it also learns and improves itself with the time.

In the second post there was a video about Octopus keyboard, which looks very good as well, but you have to jailbreak your iPhone in order to get it, and that's not the point. The point is that the iOS keyboard is very much behind Android, Blackberry (soon) and even Windows Phone... Apple has done very little changes since 2007 and the only way of getting something better is Jailbreak...

APlotdevice
Jul 7, 2012, 05:12 PM
Jobs didn't include arrow keys on the Macintosh because he wanted people to get used to having to use a mouse to interact with the computer. Look where that got us now, huh? :P

Well, as someone who started out on a Macintosh 512K, to this day I do almost exclusively use the mouse to move the insertion point and select text. Though performing either task with the touchscreen is just so much more cumbersome compared to either mouse or arrow keys.

gmanist1000
Jul 7, 2012, 08:42 PM
I think the keyboard is fantastic.

Zaft
Jul 7, 2012, 08:52 PM
Neither have I.

Same for me, i havent really had any problems.

Jagardn
Jul 7, 2012, 11:11 PM

Me too, the people who aren't having problems probably won't mention it. I never got the autocorrect problems either. It gets almost everything I screw up right.

Mactagonist
Jul 8, 2012, 08:22 AM
I think the keyboard is fantastic.

It sure is. The keyboard is simple and effective. I prefer it to every android keyboard replacement I have tried. I wouldn't turn down the addition of Swype like functionality if apple maintained the current spacing and responsiveness though.

onthecouchagain
Jul 8, 2012, 08:42 AM
Probably a feature apple is holding back for the next update. :rolleyes: Either that or they think the keyboard is perfectly fine. Either way sucks for the end user.

Jimbo47
Jul 8, 2012, 10:13 AM
oh no! You actually have to type out words. How lazy do you have to be to want "swype" crap?

Am I correct in assuming you have never used swype? Swype is by far the best android keyboard, hands down. It wasn't in the android market (wasn't when I used it, not sure about now), so it didn't really gain popularity.

NumberNine
Jul 8, 2012, 10:16 AM

Have you ever used Swype? It works great.

Asmod4n
Jul 8, 2012, 10:18 AM
They are doing some improvements to the auto correction and also store your corrections better, should result in faster typing overall. Forgot where i read that.

QuarterSwede
Jul 8, 2012, 10:30 AM
Me too, the people who aren't having problems probably won't mention it. I never got the autocorrect problems either. It gets almost everything I screw up right.
I do find the keyboard very responsive on a 4S. It really doesn't matter though as one of the secrets of using the the iOS keyboard is to not look at the keyboard while typing. It generally autocorrects to the word you want. However, it has started autocorrecting real words into non-real. I'm not sure why as I've never added them the dictionary by tapping on the suggestions. But then again it's using a dictionary that's been updating since iOS 2 so maybe starting fresh would fix that.

Also, I find that it only lags on certain web forms. For instance: Discuss is awful but this macrumors mobile form is like native (no lag).

For those who don't like moving the cursor around, I find it extremely accurate, easy and quick to do. Just tap where you want it, if you want it in the middle of a word (it assumes you want it before or after) then you tap near the word then drag between letters. Not sure why others are having issues.

diamond.g
Jul 8, 2012, 10:59 AM
Keyboard? Dictation for the win!

APlotdevice
Jul 8, 2012, 11:01 AM
For those who don't like moving the cursor around, I find it extremely accurate, easy and quick to do. Just tap where you want it, if you want it in the middle of a word (it assumes you want it before or after) then you tap near the word then drag between letters. Not sure why others are having issues.

You have to consider things relatively. While the touch method is not terrible, it is not as quick or accurate as arrow keys. In less time than it takes to bring up the magnifying glass the insertion point could have already been moved into place.

Beta Particle
Jul 8, 2012, 11:24 AM
Moving the cursor around is a hit or miss. I can't believe Apple didn't announce any innovative new features for the iOS keyboard.I don't know that arrows are the solution, but I agree that text selection should be easier. That said, iA Writer (http://www.iawriter.com/)'s implementation is pretty nice:
http://www.iawriter.com/assets/images/content/ipad_slide_02.jpg

The keyboard is actually a little different going from iOS 5.1.1 to 6 b1. It looks the same, but it's behaving slightly different. I can't tell if this is intentional or not, but I've had to make slight adjustments to my typing on the screen keyboard. It just feels slightly off or different.It seems to include your custom dictionary much more than it did on iOS 5. I found that after resetting my keyboard, it's generally better than iOS 5. (probably learned some bad behaviours)

There have been one or two changes to the alternate keys that I actually dislike, however. If you swipe up on ", it now enters a closing quotation mark rather than an opening quotation mark, for example.
Forget about the stupid Slide, how about SwiftKey? It's amazing keyboard that suggests you words based on the words you're typing at the moment. If I type Hi, it will suggest How as my next word, so I can type Hi, how are you in literally 4 clicks. It works amazingly well and it also learns and improves itself with the time.Have you tried setting up keyboard shortcuts? I have a ton on my iPad (and now they sync across devices with iOS 6) ranging from things like hry = How are you? and imo = in my opinion, to quick access to mathematical/other symbols that are otherwise "hidden" such as correct fractions: 1/3 to ⅓, arrows: --> to →, ellipses: ... to … (you can swipe up on the second-layer . but I find ... quicker) and so on.

It takes a little bit of setup initially, but the end result is faster, as I don't have to see what the keyboard predicts my next word will be, it always gets it.

While some of the Android/other keyboards have some interesting ideas, in practice, I always find myself preferring the iOS one. I'm always getting strange message from people that are running Android when they expect the keyboard to do one thing, and it types something else entirely. "Hi, how are you" might be the normal suggestion you get from SwiftKey, but then something causes it to make a different suggestion for the second word next time and the sentence you expected comes out as something entirely different if you were typing with muscle-memory rather than reading the screen.

This happens to me too, 70% of the time if not more. It just seems like the phone can't keep up with my fingers, it gets especially laggy when composing a longer message.What device are you using? I've never had that issue. (unless I try to type something within a second or so of switching apps using a swipe on my iPad)

Being a native German, I’m tired of the auto-correct replacing the female “the” (die) by the dative form of “you” (dir) all the time. Or, depending on its mood, the other way around. Thus, I agree, it definitely need tweaks. Plus, umlauts and Ŗ are horrible to type.Do you actually correct it, or do you just start deleting? If you tap the correction to dismiss it, it should learn.

oh no! You actually have to type out words. How lazy do you have to be to want "swype" crap?Nothing wrong with efficiency.

http://toolsandtoys.net.s3.amazonaws.com/img/textexpander.png
Text Expander Stats (http://toolsandtoys.net/featured-sponsor-text-expander/)

However, it has started autocorrecting real words into non-real. I'm not sure why as I've never added them the dictionary by tapping on the suggestions. But then again it's using a dictionary that's been updating since iOS 2 so maybe starting fresh would fix that.If you make the same typos a lot, especially if you hit the backspace key when typing it, sometimes it seems to think it's a word you intended. Every major iOS update, I reset the dictionary, as they seem to change its behaviour subtly each time.

The only thing that I really find to be an annoyance with the keyboard is that if I accidentally hit , rather than m in a word, it doesn't try to correct it, and I often end up with space n if I miss a double space. This is only when using the split keyboard on my iPad though.

You have to consider things relatively. While the touch method is not terrible, it is not as quick or accurate as arrow keys. In less time than it takes to bring up the magnifying glass the insertion point could have already been moved into place.It's generally a lot quicker to double-tap a word and type it again, or use "suggestions" to teach it, than try and correct a word manually, you should try that.

QuarterSwede
Jul 8, 2012, 03:31 PM
You have to consider things relatively. While the touch method is not terrible, it is not as quick or accurate as arrow keys. In less time than it takes to bring up the magnifying glass the insertion point could have already been moved into place.
I find it quicker than using arrow keys. Instead of a bunch of arrow keys it's tap or tap, slide. Maybe it's because I don't have larger hands. I don't know.

gslrider
Jul 8, 2012, 10:08 PM
You can jailbreak and get HapticPro which turns on Haptic feedback.

That's the thing, you have to jailbreak your phone to get useful tweaks. Which Apple seems to incorporate in later upgrades anyways. You'd think Apple would come up with some of these great ideas on their own. ie. in iOS 5; using volume buttons as shutter control for camera, quick access to native camera app, mail features, and word definition and substitution features. Apparently, these were all jailbreak tweaks before they were included in iOS 5. I've also heard that some new features Apple is incorporating in iOS 6, are current jailbreak tweaks as well.

Surely
Jul 8, 2012, 10:18 PM
Let me start by saying that I've had an iPhone (1st gen, 3GS, 4) since Feb 2008. To me, the keyboard is just okay......a 6 out of 10. It gets the job done, but just barely. If I have to write anything longer than a few lines or a paragraph, I wait until I'm back home with my MBA.

When I type really fast, I find that there is usually at least one misspelled word in each sentence and I have to go back and correct the mistakes. When I take my time while typing, it's not really a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the iPhone keyboard. I just think it could be better than it is.

ra4oasis
Jul 9, 2012, 11:44 AM
I've never had problems with iOS's keyboard, and I use an iPhone 4 along with an iPad 2 daily.

Moe UK
Jul 10, 2012, 01:38 AM
A number row would be very useful when in a password field. My passwords tend to have a lot of numbers so inputting them on a iPhone becomes pretty tedious.

8a22a
Jul 11, 2012, 12:47 PM
I'd like a DEL key so you can delete characters after the cursor.

kostas1284
Sep 13, 2012, 02:21 PM
Disclaimer: I am a cofounder of Syntellia / Fleksy:

We have developed an extremely powerful autocorrect system and coupled it with a unique User Interface that strikes a great balance between old paradigm and innovative features:

http://fleksy.com

Hope you find it interesting!

Kostas

Tmelon
Sep 13, 2012, 02:52 PM
I think that the iPad keyboard could use some work (arrow keys, etc.), but I'm a fan of the current iPhone keyboard. I type much faster than I did on my old Android with Swype or BlackBerry.

PJ.
Sep 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
It bugs the hell out of me that it auto corrects so to do and ill to I'll.

PJ

gslrider
Sep 14, 2012, 12:13 AM
Disclaimer: I am a cofounder of Syntellia / Fleksy:

We have developed an extremely powerful autocorrect system and coupled it with a unique User Interface that strikes a great balance between old paradigm and innovative features:

http://fleksy.com

Hope you find it interesting!

Kostas

LOL! Wow! That is pretty cool! It does take some time to get used to. Like switching between uncommon symbols like # @ % & etc... As well as using twitter short forms. But once you start getting the hang of it, your finger or thumb literally moves like speedy gonzales. I didn't even have to worry how bad I was missing keys (which ironically enough, wasn't missing often, no matter how fast my thumb or finger moved). At one point, I wasn't even trying to be accurate, I was just going for pure speed, and it was still hitting the words I wanted. Waaaaaaaay better than the iPhone's auto correct. Definitely much better than the default keyboard. The demo is impressive enough for me to want to upgrade. Does the upgrade allow you to turn off the voice? As helpful as it is, it does get annoying after a while. As well, I'm guessing you would have to do a lot copy and pasting, particularly for iMessage, web browsing or any other type input within other apps? But none the less, it is a pretty impressive app. And yes, I do hope Apple uses your technology and incorporates it in their iOS so that it can be integrated into the iphone's current keyboard technology. Thanks for pointing me to your app.

gslrider
Sep 14, 2012, 12:50 AM
Keyboard? Dictation for the win!

I would agree with you, but because you have to go through SIRI for that, and SIRI is server based, it's very laggy. I do understand it's still in beta stage, but almost a year?

diamond.g
Sep 14, 2012, 01:58 AM
I would agree with you, but because you have to go through SIRI for that, and SIRI is server based, it's very laggy. I do understand it's still in beta stage, but almost a year?

I read somewhere yesterday that it is no longer in beta. Not sure if that is true.

gslrider
Sep 14, 2012, 11:45 AM
I read somewhere yesterday that it is no longer in beta. Not sure if that is true.

A friend of mine has been testing iOS 6 dev, and he says SIRI does locations now for our area, in Canada. SIRI never had location service. And he says it works pretty good. Quick too. Hopefully this will be a full version of SIRI and not an updated beta. But at least it will be useful now that it allows for location services outside of the U.S.