PDA

View Full Version : iOS6 impact on battery life?

AndyK
Jun 12, 2012, 05:05 AM
I'm wondering if anyone is doing any testing focused on the comparative battery life of iOS6 vs iOS5?

I personally have a 4s, but in general terms, does iOS6 seem to be more efficient in its battery consumption or are new shiny features bumping up the drain instead?

I'd love to hear any comments / thoughts on it and if anyone is actually testing this aspect.

SanjeevRana
Jun 12, 2012, 06:09 AM
Although its an early and most likely flawed comparison but from my day to day use I can say that it's better. And since it's a beta, the final release would be awesome.

I can say that from my experience playing with Android Kernels and then ios systems.

On my 5 hr standby and 2 hr use today, I would be at 75% on ios5 ... On ios6 today I was at 85% .. These are the only type of comparisons one can do at this time !!

8a22a
Jun 12, 2012, 07:44 AM
Seems a lot worst for me, already down to 30%, usually still at 60% at this time. Haven't used it much more than usual.

zign
Jun 12, 2012, 08:17 AM
Seems a lot worst for me, already down to 30%, usually still at 60% at this time. Haven't used it much more than usual.

That's probably due the fact that you are using it more.

I am not seeing any difference.

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 08:43 AM
That's probably due the fact that you are using it more.

I am not seeing any difference.

Yeah, I can't say I'm seeing a noticeable difference either. I did drain it quicker last night, but I attribute that to heavy use.

Mustangjac
Jun 12, 2012, 12:50 PM
I'm wondering if anyone is doing any testing focused on the comparative battery life of iOS6 vs iOS5?

I personally have a 4s, but in general terms, does iOS6 seem to be more efficient in its battery consumption or are new shiny features bumping up the drain instead?

I'd love to hear any comments / thoughts on it and if anyone is actually testing this aspect.

Normal usage.....seems about the same. But one thing I noticed.....on my way into work today, I used the turn by turn nav for my commute to work, to try it out. I use it all the time with the tomtom app. I keep it plugged in since it's a HUGE drain on the battery.....I was at 64% when I got to the office. So it wasn't charging enough to run the turn by turn and my bluetooth connection to my radio.

Like I said, iOS5 with tomtom app, no issues charging while on the move.

nfl46
Jun 12, 2012, 12:51 PM
Honestly, its been pretty good for me thus far.

Menel
Jun 12, 2012, 01:05 PM
I was a little sad that by lunch I was at 50% batt. which is low, but I've been playing more than usual, so I checked usage 4hrs used, 5hr standby.... well, ok then. All good :)

SanjeevRana
Jun 12, 2012, 07:53 PM
Here is a shot I took ... an addendum to my prev post ...

I would be 12 hr standby and 3 hr use using ios5.1.1 with 50% ... so I can safely bet that they have modded the kernel to get more standby time out.

This is with my "normal" use of calls, imessages, music, youtube, safari, mails ...

runecarlsen
Jun 13, 2012, 01:45 AM
Battery sucks bigtime, using iPhone 4s and iOS6 Beta.

I have had NO problems at all running iOS5, but as soon as I upgraded to iOS6 the problems started. It consumes battery like hell. This morning, I woke up at 6am, and decided to see how it workd. 2 hours later, not touching the iPhone AT ALL, it is down to 49%.

I have closed all background apps, no bluetooth, no internet sharing, no nothing.

I am about to downgrade. Anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

best regards,
Rune

this is funah
Jun 13, 2012, 02:08 AM
It's definitely taking a lot more battery power to run iOS 6, especially when I run the maps app. My iPhone 4 became quite warm yesterday running the maps app and tracking my location, and sucked the battery down 10 percent in 15 mins.

Other than that, battery has been the same

Sir Ruben
Jun 13, 2012, 02:35 AM
The first thing I noticed is that the option to turn off 3G has gone again, meaning Im getting much faster battery drain.

nednarm
Jun 13, 2012, 02:42 AM
I'm not seeing any notable difference in battery life, however trickle charge doesn't seem to be working as it should be.
I plugged my phone in before I went to bed last night, 8 hours later when I woke up it was on 94%, it hadn't been unplugged at any point during the night. How does trickle charge work? Does the OS wait for the phone to reach >90% battery then charge it back to 100?

bp1000
Jun 13, 2012, 05:53 AM
Quite a few phones I've tried struggle to charge fast enough when using turn by turn in the car.

In the past I essentially had to make sure my phone was fully charged before enabling turn by turn and hooking up Bluetooth.

Will be curious to see how the battery performs when using turn by turn and if apple releases a charger or tweaks gps power usage to handle it.

runecarlsen
Jun 13, 2012, 06:02 AM
So, I have investigated further, and have these experiences with my iPhone 4s with iOS6 Beta 1;

- iPhone consumes aprx 20% in 1hr, - standby mode

Turning off all kinds of stuff like bluetooth, internet sharing, light level, hard/soft reset, 3G, Wifi..... nothing makes a change.

So I decided to see what happens, if I set the phone in flight modus. Well, nothing much;

- iPhone consumes aprx 20% in 1hr, - in flight mode (!!)

My battery was really good before I upgrade to iOS6 Beta 1.

What the &%$&#(!! is this?

The only possible solution I see now, is to try to reinstall once again, but without restoring previous settings/data/apps etc. Doing a clean install of iOS6.

Any ideas?

best regards,
Rune Carlsen

brilbeer
Jun 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
I'm having insane battery drain since upgrading, from 40% to dead in under 2 hours, without any cell reception....

Second try, from 72% to dead in 3 hours, whilst in my pocket with all apps closed and 2 missed calls.

So I'm not having any luck on this front...

jeremiah239
Jun 13, 2012, 05:58 PM

Same here normally when I get off work I have around 50-65% and today on iOS 6 beta I got home and I was at 23%

rman726
Jun 13, 2012, 06:05 PM
Seems a lot better for my 4S. Weird... I have never had that great of battery life though. It hasn't been as terrible as some people experienced, but it hasn't been as good as others either.

Jagardn
Jun 13, 2012, 09:12 PM
So, I have investigated further, and have these experiences with my iPhone 4s with iOS6 Beta 1;

- iPhone consumes aprx 20% in 1hr, - standby mode

Turning off all kinds of stuff like bluetooth, internet sharing, light level, hard/soft reset, 3G, Wifi..... nothing makes a change.

So I decided to see what happens, if I set the phone in flight modus. Well, nothing much;

- iPhone consumes aprx 20% in 1hr, - in flight mode (!!)

My battery was really good before I upgrade to iOS6 Beta 1.

What the &%$&#(!! is this?

The only possible solution I see now, is to try to reinstall once again, but without restoring previous settings/data/apps etc. Doing a clean install of iOS6.

Any ideas?

best regards,
Rune Carlsen

Is it possible that the apps your developing are draining the battery?

mentaluproar
Jun 13, 2012, 09:16 PM
This is pretty discouraging news. My 4S performs exactly as I expect it would, including battery life, but if this is still an issue in the final release, I'll have to hold back. :(

SanjeevRana
Jun 13, 2012, 11:51 PM
Ok ... I have something on my mind and I am just going to say this ... please no flaming :)

iOS Betas are meant for developers to test out their apps in the new environment and also provide feedback on the iOS which would mean a fresh install on a dev iphone with just 2-3 apps on which he/she is working.

It is not meant for a full fledged load of apps being used as daily driver and then too being restored with all ios5 settings ....

So , do not read too much into battery drains, etc till the final GM version is out !

aleni
Jun 13, 2012, 11:59 PM
iOS 6 beta 1 is the first beta 1 that i find usable for every day use while iOS 5 beta 1 or 2 or even 3 are not usable for daily use when i tested it.

battery life has been great, pretty the same with the amazing 5.1.1.

from looking at the usage now:

Time since last full charge:

usage 2 hours, 22 minutes
standby 3 hours, 29 minutes

battery life still at 79%

twigman08
Jun 14, 2012, 12:04 AM
Ok ... I have something on my mind and I am just going to say this ... please no flaming :)

iOS Betas are meant for developers to test out their apps in the new environment and also provide feedback on the iOS which would mean a fresh install on a dev iphone with just 2-3 apps on which he/she is working.

It is not meant for a full fledged load of apps being used as daily driver and then too being restored with all ios5 settings ....

So , do not read too much into battery drains, etc till the final GM version is out !

This is true. Not saying this is what people are doing in this thread but too many people run iOS beta versions as their daily driver and actually don't even do any iOS6 development work!

I myself have a developer account but my programming time is filled up right now working on a 360 arcade game and school. So I see no reason for me to download the beta when I wouldn't even be looking at the SDK or the APIs. Nor could I could afford to use this as my daily driver, even though most of Apples betas run pretty good for a beta OS.

AndyK
Jun 14, 2012, 11:39 AM
For me the big issue on my phone is always battery. I just hope that iOS6 at least doesn't worsen battery consumption by the time it's released. I am under no illusions the chances of it improving it are quite remote.

I know this is early stages, but as further beta builds are released I'd greatly appreciate developers posting back with any differences you notice.

Comeagain?
Jun 14, 2012, 11:47 AM
My 4S's battery is draining slightly faster now, but not much. My iPad 2, however is running normally.

MooneyFlyer
Jun 14, 2012, 12:54 PM
I've been using the beta for about 24 hours and I haven't seen any appreciable change in the battery behavior. I left it off the charger last night to see what would happen and woke up with the battery indicator in essentially the same place as I left it. I don't use the % indicator -- just the graphic.

ebolamonkey3
Jun 14, 2012, 04:22 PM
According to this thread the battery life is better, but he did a clean install, maybe that's why?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1386192

iKIKO
Jun 14, 2012, 06:12 PM
i have been using it for 3 days and haven't seen any changes on battery performance, in fact its as bad as it was on iOS 5.1.1 :p

ctc799
Jun 14, 2012, 07:42 PM
I'm getting better battery life than iOS 5.1.1 on my iPhone 4 with this besta. Kind of a nice surprise, actually. :D

j-a-x
Jun 16, 2012, 01:33 PM
It's weird that some are reporting better and some are reporting worse battery life with iOS 6. I'd expect it to be worse across the board since it's still in beta.

For me, my phone consumes battery life roughly 2-3 times as fast as my iPhone 4S did with the latest iOS 5. That's what I was expecting in beta software so I am not complaining, but if anybody knows what part of iOS6 is consuming the most power, it would be interesting to know so I could conserve power better until the next beta is released.

Parise
Jun 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
Holy crap this is weird...

So my battery life while using wifi is actually pretty decent for initial beta. However, once I leave my house to where I'm 3G all the time its absolutely horrendous. Anyone else seeing this? Seems like bizarro world behavior to me.

Amiz
Jun 16, 2012, 01:58 PM
Drains my iPad. Quickly.

Tmelon
Jun 16, 2012, 02:00 PM
Battery seems to be about the same for me after turning off some of the battery draining things such as time zone support and local weather.

j-a-x
Jun 16, 2012, 02:06 PM
My theory was that it was wifi that was draining my phone not 3G but I could be wrong. I'm going to test it this weekend. Wifi is disabled now and I'll see how it goes. at 96% now. I'll report in later and use my forum post as a time stamp.

YaShuaBeenYosef
Jun 16, 2012, 02:18 PM

So my battery life while using wifi is actually pretty decent for initial beta. However, once I leave my house to where I'm 3G all the time its absolutely horrendous. Anyone else seeing this? Seems like bizarro world behavior to me.

I have been noticing the exact same issue. Good battery life on wifi. But horrendous on 3G. That, coupled with the display turning on whenever I change the volume while playing music makes my battery life much worse. I also suspect something is unnessesarily using 3G constantly, thus the faster battery drain.

Futhark
Jun 16, 2012, 02:24 PM
I'm getting equal if not better battery results. I start work at 7:30am with 100% Battery, no use of my phone until 9am and the battery still reports 100% from 9am to 4pm I have music playing constantly with maybe 8 phone calls during this time averaging 5 mins each and lots of Siri use requesting songs and who to call etc. after all this I have still 50% Battery.

kirky29
Jun 16, 2012, 02:25 PM
I've defiantly noticed poor battery life so far, it'll probably just be a bug in iOS 6.
The power went out so it was just sat on my bedside table, locked - and it managed to drain over 10%, doesn't bother me much though, I'm sure they'll fix it eventually. :)

weegrim
Jun 16, 2012, 02:28 PM
I am finding really bad battery life on my iPhone 4S since iOS 6 beta 1 (release day install) e.g. in work on 5.1.1 i could get from home to work (aprox 15mins and get to my 1st tea (2hrs in for 15mins) and still be at 100% by lunch 1.5hrs later id be at 96-98% with almost full signal. Now I seem to be getting at 1st break 88% and 78-80 at lunch. Right now 20:20 battery is at 28% with mild to moderate use (would say that no more use then previously would with minor exceptions). Usually I would be at this they following day at this time. iPad 3 16GB wifi battery is not as noticeable and would not complain but I am defo seeing a drop of a few more percentage than normal. Understand that this is beta 1 and looking forward to improvements but surly they (Apple) must have seen this internally!

j-a-x
Jun 16, 2012, 03:07 PM
My theory was that it was wifi that was draining my phone not 3G but I could be wrong. I'm going to test it this weekend. Wifi is disabled now and I'll see how it goes. at 96% now. I'll report in later and use my forum post as a time stamp.

Now I'm at 76%. 20% drop in 2 hr. I just did some light web browsing and downloaded a 12 mb app update on an excellent 3G signal. Wifi disabled. My phone was sitting in my pocket unused for the last 30 min and now it's HOT. Now after writing this I'm at 73%.

Vundu
Jun 16, 2012, 03:20 PM
Far worse on the battery for me.

Even when just on standby at night.

Defender2010
Jun 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
iPhone 4S eats the battery. New iPad, around the same as before.

j-a-x
Jun 17, 2012, 02:19 PM
I was just out for 2 hours and this time it only drained about 10% doing approximately the same amount of things, and the phone also didn't get hot this time. Hmm. I am guessing there's a runaway process or something like that which runs the battery down on occasion. I just wish I knew how to figure out what it was.

Tyler23
Jun 17, 2012, 03:13 PM

Similar problem for me. Battery seems ok on wifi (though worse than iOS 5), but when on 3G it drops significantly, quite quickly. Hope this improves with beta 2

j-a-x
Jun 19, 2012, 11:45 AM
Okay so the first few days I was using iOS6 on my iPhone 4S, my battery was running down like crazy and my phone was always HOT. But this week so far so good. I've been doing a variety of tasks, pretty much the same things I was doing before, and I'm not having any problems with battery life now. Anybody else notice similar behavior?

Futhark
Jun 19, 2012, 12:28 PM
Okay so the first few days I was using iOS6 on my iPhone 4S, my battery was running down like crazy and my phone was always HOT. But this week so far so good. I've been doing a variety of tasks, pretty much the same things I was doing before, and I'm not having any problems with battery life now. Anybody else notice similar behavior?

Mines been similar since day one. I've no battery issues to be honest

foodog
Jun 19, 2012, 01:24 PM

When IOS5 was in beta battery life was pretty bad but was way better by release day. IOS6 is about in the same position now

LostSoul80
Jun 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
Just as you can expect from a beta, battery life is not great.
Overall this seems very noticeable on the new iPad, where even browsing the web makes the device hot and drop by about 3-4% the battery within minutes.

mklaman
Jun 19, 2012, 02:47 PM
when i'd typically be at about 70% (iOS 5) i find myself at a measly 39% (iOS6). same usage.

read something somewhere about an issue with some apps really not shutting down completely even though they say they are. i restarted the phone and will see if that helps.

nigameash
Jun 19, 2012, 05:14 PM
I'm extremely impressed with the battery life on ios 6b1 on my 4S. In comparison with ios 5 where my phone could only last about ~14 hours on a single charge, my phone now last over 24 hours.

AbSoluTc
Jun 19, 2012, 05:15 PM

Same. iOS 6 is a battery gulping whore! ;)

iShorty
Jun 19, 2012, 05:24 PM
iOS 6 beta

Apple will have lots of debug tools running most likely as it's a beta, you shouldn't complain about battery life.. iOS 5 is there if you want a public build.

stisdal
Jun 19, 2012, 10:18 PM
My first day on iOS 6 was bad on battery life. But just like all major updates and new phones, it takes a few days and battery cycles for the system to balance out. Now I have great battery life!

BTW; I did a clean install on my iPhone 4s and set up as a new phone, just like I do on every 'new' iOS. My iPhone 4 is running 5.1.1 for comparison, and battery life is only a tiny bit worse on my 4s with ios6, this I expect with the dual core processor.

Roofy.
Jun 19, 2012, 10:46 PM
Battery sucks bigtime, using iPhone 4s and iOS6 Beta.

I have had NO problems at all running iOS5, but as soon as I upgraded to iOS6 the problems started. It consumes battery like hell. This morning, I woke up at 6am, and decided to see how it workd. 2 hours later, not touching the iPhone AT ALL, it is down to 49%.

I have closed all background apps, no bluetooth, no internet sharing, no nothing.

I am about to downgrade. Anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

best regards,
Rune

Yea.....its a beta.

baller1308
Jun 19, 2012, 11:16 PM
Been using iOS 6 for a few days now and haven't had any issues with battery. I'm getting the same performance, maybe a little better, than when I was on iOS 5. Full charge at 8am, and about 30% when I go to sleep at 12am.

Safari seems to be a little faster at loading webpages, which is nice.

neilypeelie
Jun 20, 2012, 04:22 AM
Mine seems to drain pretty quickly during the night… I put it down to the fact that I've set a Do Not Disturb schedule (whereas I used to just put it in Airplane Mode).

That means Wi-Fi is still on, and with a much weaker signal in the bedroom I guess that'll cause a drain.

Not worried about it too much right now – as others have mentioned this is just a beta.

Nikhil72
Jun 20, 2012, 05:08 AM
it's been a few days now and i'm more convinced that my battery has gotten better with iOS 6. i did an update, not full restore, and have easily been getting from 5am to 11pm with about 7-8 hours of usage time. About 1h of that time was spent underground on the subway in airplane mode reading ibooks with music playing, as well as an additional 50 minutes with the screen off and GPS running with music while i was out on a run using nike+gps. The remainder of the time was mostly browsing mixed with WiFi and 3G as well as texts

8a22a
Jun 20, 2012, 05:22 AM
Been using iOS 6 for a few days now and haven't had any issues with battery. I'm getting the same performance, maybe a little better, than when I was on iOS 5. Full charge at 8am, and about 30% when I go to sleep at 12am.

Safari seems to be a little faster at loading webpages, which is nice.

You're lucky. I had to charge mine 3 times yesterday. They were just top up charges though and I did have to do a full restore from backup, so downloading all my apps again probably used a lot.

Today it was 100% at 7am, it's now 73% at 11:22am.

tasandkrs
Jun 20, 2012, 10:53 AM
I have been having serious battery drain since installing iOS 6. I have reinstalled several times, both clean install and restore. Nothing solved the battery problem. I disable all syncing with iCloud except email and still the same result. This morning I deleted my iCloud account as a last resort and the battery issue is gone.

Tom

Futhark
Jun 20, 2012, 11:06 AM
I have been having serious battery drain since installing iOS 6. I have reinstalled several times, both clean install and restore. Nothing solved the battery problem. I disable all syncing with iCloud except email and still the same result. This morning I deleted my iCloud account as a last resort and the battery issue is gone.

Tom

This is very strange. Does the spinning icon that shows syncing show up?

tasandkrs
Jun 20, 2012, 11:11 AM
This is very strange. Does the spinning icon that shows syncing show up?

Nope

j-a-x
Jun 21, 2012, 07:03 PM
My first day on iOS 6 was bad on battery life. But just like all major updates and new phones, it takes a few days and battery cycles for the system to balance out. Now I have great battery life!

BTW; I did a clean install on my iPhone 4s and set up as a new phone, just like I do on every 'new' iOS. My iPhone 4 is running 5.1.1 for comparison, and battery life is only a tiny bit worse on my 4s with ios6, this I expect with the dual core processor.

Same here. First week or so with iOS 6 was horrible, now I spend a day at work and I'm still at 80% battery which is weird but cool!

tasandkrs
Jun 24, 2012, 06:16 PM
I turned off iCloud syncing for "Documents and Data" and that was the ony thing that fixed the battery drain for me. Other than deleting my iCloud account.