Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
For those of us who are not remotely interested in Facebook/Twitter can we turn it off entirely or are we nagged on almost every screen or share or tweet?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
For those of us who are not remotely interested in Facebook/Twitter can we turn it off entirely or are we nagged on almost every screen or share or tweet?

Don't use it. If you don't use it it doesn't do anything. You have to be signed in to use the twitter/facebook functions.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

Its intergrated into the OS I don't think you can turn it off. I hardly notice the tweet option to be fair

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
It’s a shame. I wish the first option was “turn Facebook / Twitter on?” and if you answered no, there was no reference to these features anywhere.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I mean….

When you install iOS6, I wish the OS first asked if you wanted to integrate these systems. If you select NO, when I click on various menus like “Share”, I would like to see Twitter and Facebook removed from these menus.

I think, even if you don’t sign into these apps, they will still appear in the menus and the new app store for example.

Taking the app store for example, I don’t care if 50,000 “Like” an app. It’s the reviews I read. In many companies, if you “Like” something for example you are entered into a free draw so ‘Likes” soon become irrelevant.

I just hope for those of us not interested in tweeting or posting toilet visits on Facebook profiles aren’t bombarded with prompts to do so.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
This is the way the world is evolving.
It's discipline you need, not necessarily to switch off button.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It’s a shame. I wish the first option was “turn Facebook / Twitter on?” and if you answered no, there was no reference to these features anywhere.
I have never used either twitter or facebook, they simply don't appeal. I agree it would be nice if they could be disabled, but Apple is a dictatorship whose users aren't allowed choices. It's been that way for years.

Those who just follow along are often made very uncomfortable by anyone who chooses to think for themselves, or worse express themselves. That's why you see responses such as just ignore it, or other juvenile comments like "buy something else then".

These are the all or nothing responses of those who are rather incapable of discussing things. There is no middle ground, as they see Apple as knowing what's best for them. One look at Apples massive profits reveals Apples expertise at influencing the masses to buy whatever is put in front of them. An amazing accomplishment.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Like others say, don't turn it on. I know more people with iPhones who have no clue what twitter is and somehow they manage with their iPhone 4s.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I hear what you say but the 4S is not running fully integrated iOS6.

My only hope is that iOS6 is not constantly suggesting I tweet this or like that, or share this on my wall.

I agree it’s not over the top in iOS5. I just hope that remains the case.

What would be nice is if I elect (God forbid) not to integrate with Facebook/Twitter for example, I am not prompted at every turn to post my game results etc to these services. iOS would know I am not part of the FB community so it would automatically suppress “would you like to post your achievement to Facebook” each time I play a game.

If you do tweet or have a facebook account, that’s your choice but spare a thought to how irritating it is for those of us who couldn’t care less about these features.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Either i'll get love or hate for saying this but while streaming the WWDC, i was cringing when the whole facebook integration was being talked about

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
My only hope is that iOS6 is not constantly suggesting I tweet this or like that, or share this on my wall.
I really think this is not the case but I'll be annoyed if it is. I am hoping it runs similar to Android where you have an option, when you want to share a pic or something, to choose twitter, facebook etc.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Don't use it. If you don't use it it doesn't do anything. You have to be signed in to use the twitter/facebook functions.

I don't have a Twitter account, but I forever see "Tweet" in menus on my iPhone, so I don't think your solution is entirely accurate.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
I'm sure I won't be the only one laughing when Facebook finally jumps the shark, and then apple has to go through and remove all the Facebook hooks from their software.

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York

This is where the world is going. Social network intergration into everything. I hardly think it's something you will be able to escape. Unless you want to be a mountain man.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm sure I won't be the only one laughing when Facebook finally jumps the shark, and then apple has to go through and remove all the Facebook hooks from their software.

I think that's a long way off and enough so that by the time it does happen, Apple won't feel like their integration was all for nothing. Think about it, if you did something that was good for a few years and it suddenly became obsolete then would you really see it as a waste?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If you don't add a FB account then the "Tap to Post" button is not in the notification centre. Did not check the other locations but I suspect it does not show there either

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.