PDA

View Full Version : Omnifocus for iPad worth it?

kylera
Jun 12, 2012, 06:04 AM
I purchased a copy of OmniFocus for OS X, and I'm seeing how this is a pretty excellent organization app. However, I would also like a copy for iOS, only to have my jaw drop at how there are separate copies for the iPhone and the iPad, and each version costs $20. I don't know whether I want to purchase both versions like that, or use the iPhone version on the iPad and a future iPhone, so to any users, do you think it was money well spent?

Nrwrit3r
Jun 12, 2012, 10:16 AM
I purchased a copy of OmniFocus for OS X, and I'm seeing how this is a pretty excellent organization app. However, I would also like a copy for iOS, only to have my jaw drop at how there are separate copies for the iPhone and the iPad, and each version costs $20. I don't know whether I want to purchase both versions like that, or use the iPhone version on the iPad and a future iPhone, so to any users, do you think it was money well spent?

It depends on how much you're using your iPad and what you're using it for. Having it for the iPhone is definitely worth it, so that you can get a to-do out of your mind and into the app on the go.

The iPad may not be worth it, however. You can view things on the go with the iPhone...and if you want to edit/add things you can use your computer.

The only reason I could see for buying the iPad version would be if you use it mostly to read your emails. If you use emails to create todos using the Omnifocus capturing tools, then it definitely makes sense to buy the iPad version. Other than that, I don't really see the point since you can view tasks on the iPhone.

EDIT: Also you can call Omnifocus. They are really great, and you can tell them your setup and they'll give you feedback. The customer support is some of the best I've ever seen.

sk1wbw
Jun 12, 2012, 11:27 AM
I'd recommend it for the iPad, the layout is immensely better on the iPad. Of course, I got all three for free with a gift card... But go ahead and do it.

MathRulz
Jun 12, 2012, 11:48 AM
I'd recommend it for the iPad, the layout is immensely better on the iPad.

+1

The interface on the iPad is the best! I much prefer it to the Mac version.

sk1wbw
Jun 12, 2012, 11:57 AM
+1

The interface on the iPad is the best! I much prefer it to the Mac version.

Omnifocus sure does know how to make a powerful app look gorgeous, don't they? :)

ebolamonkey3
Jun 12, 2012, 05:24 PM
Would this be worth it if I only have an iPad right now? Is it only worth it if you're using and syncing it across several devices?

MathRulz
Jun 12, 2012, 09:40 PM
Would this be worth it if I only have an iPad right now? Is it only worth it if you're using and syncing it across several devices?

Yes, definitely worth it if you only have the iPad.

Although I bought the Mac version first (before I had an iPad), 95% of my OmniFocus use is now on the iPad.

The Mac version does allow me to get items in from other applications more easily. On the iPad, fewer apps send directly to OmniFocus, so I do it by sending email to send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com
I then get my message back with a link that I can click on to put the info directly into Omnifocus on the iPad.

numbersyx
Jun 25, 2012, 06:56 PM
Bought the iPad version and am using it standalone at the moment although I am contemplating buying the iPhone version for the times I leave my iPad at home. Can't understand how the Omni Group could make such a beautiful interface for the iPad and leave the Mac version as ugly as it is...

TennisandMusic
Jun 25, 2012, 07:17 PM
Bought the iPad version and am using it standalone at the moment although I am contemplating buying the iPhone version for the times I leave my iPad at home. Can't understand how the Omni Group could make such a beautiful interface for the iPad and leave the Mac version as ugly as it is...

I think they are working on a version 2.0.

numbersyx
Jun 25, 2012, 07:37 PM

Hope so. The iPad version is wonderful.

Mawal
Jun 26, 2012, 01:04 PM
OF for Mac is ugly but powerful, if you work with nested tasks, it is far easier done with OF for Mac.

Still I hardly ever use OF for Mac, I usually go for the IOS apps.

HappyDude20
Jun 27, 2012, 02:41 AM
Ive been using OF on my Mac for almost 5 years and love it. It's a powerhouse. Ive purchased OF for both iPhone and iPad and love it. It's absolutely essential in my day to day.

Get it.

I sadly bought OF when it was $40 on my iPad..but still, my reasons for owning iOS devices and not feeling guilty.

hchavarria
Jun 29, 2012, 10:24 PM
Another vote for OF iPad, it is an essential part of my everyday. I also heavily use OF for my Mac and have thought about purchasing for my iPhone.

NMF
Jul 1, 2012, 01:14 AM
I still don't understand why I would want OF at all now that iOS (and soon Moun Lion) has built in reminders?

wadjj
Jul 1, 2012, 06:25 AM
I still don't understand why I would want OF at all now that iOS (and soon Moun Lion) has built in reminders?

GTD is far more complex and useful (at least for those with a lot of stuff going on) than simple to-do.

But I do agree if you use ios and mac, there's few reason to purchase a simple to-do app.

skillz1318
Jul 1, 2012, 12:29 PM
I would say if I could only have 1 iOS version it would be for the iPhone as it is on me 24/7 and my iPad is often at home. I bought the iPad version eventually, but 95% of the time I am still using it in my iPhone. Both are great apps and I highly recommend them, and I don't have omnifocus on my Mac.

numbersyx
Jul 2, 2012, 05:51 PM

OF is much more than a reminders app. More a planning and project app with notifications.....

Kurwenal
Jul 2, 2012, 06:24 PM
The separate pricing is annoying, but if you like OF I think the iPad version is a must buy. I have migrated to using it a lot more than I use the desktop version. In fact, I rarely use the desktop version any longer other than in my weekly review.

rhett7660
Jul 2, 2012, 06:40 PM
OF is much more than a reminders app. More a planning and project app with notifications.....

I have yet to use it but this is exactly what I have been looking for, never thought to look for it in this program. Thank you.

spacepower7
Jul 3, 2012, 02:03 AM

Of course they are working on a 2.0 version but considering they just changed the 1.9.x version into a 1.10.x version, and they cut the price, we'll be good for free upgrades for awhile. Omnigroup is a well respected Mac developer, they wouldn't sell apps a discount if they wanted to charge an upgrade soon.

I think they have been selling 1.x.x for about 4-5 years, that's a a lot of free upgrades.

The next closest competitor is Things by CulturedCode which has been promising cloud sync since 2008-2009 and finally started a beta in 2012. (I own their pMac and iOS products too)

It's a what can I use now situation which Apple seems to fail at sometimes.