PDA

View Full Version : iOS 6 = iOS 5.2 ?

johndallas999
Jun 12, 2012, 07:51 AM
Their biggest feature is an updated map/navigation? Everything else was pretty much tweaks to existing stuff. That was a pretty lame update IMO. Hardly innovative. Jobs absence is starting to show.

stuardy1
Jun 12, 2012, 07:54 AM
Their biggest feature is an updated map/navigation? Everything else was pretty much tweaks to existing stuff. That was a pretty lame update IMO. Hardly innovative. Jobs absence is starting to show.

Totally agree, was hoping for so much more

johndallas999
Jun 12, 2012, 07:58 AM
Watched the keynote and yawned thru the whole thing. iPhone 4s adds only Siri and some hardware upgrades, iOS 6 again, minor updates. This stinks.

MonkeySee....
Jun 12, 2012, 08:01 AM
Watched the keynote and yawned thru the whole thing. iPhone 4s adds only Siri and some hardware upgrades, iOS 6 again, minor updates. This stinks.

If you think I was yawning at iOS6 then great. Unfortunately, I wasn't.

Cod3rror
Jun 12, 2012, 08:02 AM
Yea, they are getting stagnant.

GoGa
Jun 12, 2012, 08:05 AM
"Jobs absence is starting to show." Yeah, becuase Steve Jobs came up with all the ideas for every iOS update . /s

Seriously get over it, with every single iOS update people always say how disappointing it is. I really don't know what you people were expecting.

Menel
Jun 12, 2012, 08:12 AM
iOS 6 = iOS 6.

johndublin
Jun 12, 2012, 08:15 AM
"Jobs absence is starting to show." Yeah, becuase Steve Jobs came up with all the ideas for every iOS update . /s

Seriously get over it, with every single iOS update people always say how disappointing it is. I really don't know what you people were expecting.

Maybe an update to the actual OS! Not just a few token added features. Facebook and Siri and the other bits and bobs are useful, but did they even look at upgading the OS itself? Doubt its to do with Jobs, but seriously, even the audience seemed a bit off when some of the features were announced.

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 08:23 AM
Maybe an update to the actual OS! Not just a few token added features. Facebook and Siri and the other bits and bobs are useful, but did they even look at upgading the OS itself? Doubt its to do with Jobs, but seriously, even the audience seemed a bit off when some of the features were announced.

The fact that the audience erupted when they announced pull to refresh email goes to show how underwhelming it was.

----------

Apparently you don't know how the software world works. Major revision increments usually mean major updates.

What is it with Apple fans? Why do you guys get so defensive about this company?

Warbrain
Jun 12, 2012, 08:26 AM
Nice try.

riam
Jun 12, 2012, 08:58 AM
I dont know what some people want of this iOS updates, i think the position of apple is correct, they have the best mobile platform in the market, the best customer satisfaction, why would they do a major chanfe to it they just have to keep it up to date, and that is what they are doing with this updates, remember that it is a mobile system, if you want a computer really portable one get a MBA.

Most of the users of iOS dont even use half its potential for them is just a phone or a music player at least that is the interesting market for apple, they need to keep things simple, if they made a complete overhoul each year there would be a slow learning curve each year and that would drop the customer satisfaction.

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 09:09 AM
Steve Jobs died so the Apple Executive team (aka Scum in Suits) decided to slow things down even more than usual.

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 09:12 AM
I dont know what some people want of this iOS updates, i think the position of apple is correct, they have the best mobile platform in the market, the best customer satisfaction, why would they do a major chanfe to it they just have to keep it up to date, and that is what they are doing with this updates, remember that it is a mobile system, if you want a computer really portable one get a MBA.

Most of the users of iOS dont even use half its potential for them is just a phone or a music player at least that is the interesting market for apple, they need to keep things simple, if they made a complete overhoul each year there would be a slow learning curve each year and that would drop the customer satisfaction.

Your argument is a bad one, and goes against everything Apple touts their iPad as. Also your line stating "they need to keep things simple, if they made a complete overhaul..." goes against what a MAJOR revision IS. Anyone who heard "iOS 6" and thought, "Meh, it'll probably just be a few updates like pull to refresh email" is an f'n liar.

I love how all the comments in this thread that question the latest update have a negative rating. I love the company (Own 2 iPads, iPhone, 2 MBP's) but I can remain objective.

ZZ Bottom
Jun 12, 2012, 09:19 AM
Agreed OP.

I could are less about visual updates as many others want, but how about some increased functionality? Quick access to simple settings via notification center please? More effecient method of multitasking switching please? Limited widget/live tile functionality please?

WebOS is essentially dead so why can we just impliment slide up from bottom for multitasking yet? I've yet to see slide down from top (notifications) hinder normal touch functionality...

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 09:23 AM
Agreed OP.

I could are less about visual updates as many others want, but how about some increased functionality? Quick access to simple settings via notification center please? More effecient method of multitasking please? Limited widget/live tile functionality please?

WebOS is essentially dead so why can we just impliment slide up from bottom for multitasking yet? I've yet to see slide down from top (notifications) hinder normal touch functionality...

Thank you.

Also, lets add an API that allows us to share ANYTHING between existing apps. Android has done this amazingly, would love to see iOS implement it.

Siri can tell me the score of the Giants game, but can't comprehend "Turn off wifi". I wouldve been 1000 times more excited if they demoed that.

xdxdaustin
Jun 12, 2012, 09:26 AM
Hmm...I'm not quite sure if I agree. I have the developer version, and it feels snappier and there have been some pretty noticeable revisions to the UI. From what I have seen so far, the only thing that remains relatively untouched is the homescreen. I agree that the Siri enhancements probably weren't that hard to do, and I bet Facebook integration didn't take long either anyways, but I also think that a large amount of time was spent on the UI and Passbook. Don't get me wrong though, they definitely could have done more.

Just my 2 cents :D

kirky29
Jun 12, 2012, 09:26 AM
In all honestly, I wasn't as impressed as I wanted/hoped to be.
The two big things were Siri & Maps.

Could have added a few extra things to be honest, like camera settings, the panaroma feature they've had built in for awhile, Facebook messages in the messages app (I don't think it currently is set to do this?), quick-settings in notification center, more apps in folders, hide stock apps (certainly now that they've added yet another default app) and a few other things.

Nevermind though! Maybe they'll add some more throughout the beta....ios 5

People keep saying this update is bigger than iOS 5....I don't see how? iOS 5 gave us notification center, iMessage, PC Free, Reminders, Photo editing and so much more.........

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 09:31 AM
like camera settings, the panaroma feature they've had built in for awhile

There's a panorama feature?!

----------

Also, am I the only one who liked the OLD app store better?!

riam
Jun 12, 2012, 09:32 AM
"Meh, it'll probably just be a few updates like pull to refresh email" is an f'n liar.

How great are the updates are, depends in what you use your device for, i do not defend apple, but it is hard to please all customers.

If you expect a major change every year, i think you have been disapointed several years in a row becouse only two of the iOS version change have been really major

kirky29
Jun 12, 2012, 09:34 AM
There's a panorama feature?!

----------

Also, am I the only one who liked the OLD app store better?!

Yeah, it's hidden within iOS 5!

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57321701-285/how-to-enable-ios-5s-hidden-panorama-camera/

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 09:40 AM
How great are the updates are, depends in what you use your device for, i do not defend apple, but it is hard to please all customers.

If you expect a major change every year, i think you have been disapointed several years in a row becouse only two of the iOS version change have been really major

I think the issue is, most of the general population of iPhone users expect a major change every year. I blame it on the media and their rumor mills.

Case in point, articles titled this: Next iOS update could be Apple's biggest in a long time (http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-ios-6-rumors-20120604,0,1564866.story)

Its not only Apple that does it too, Android is also at fault for this. Going from Eclair to Gingerbread was pathetic at best.

----------

Yeah, it's hidden within iOS 5!

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57321701-285/how-to-enable-ios-5s-hidden-panorama-camera/

Holy crap, thanks!!!

Gatecrasher1875
Jun 12, 2012, 09:44 AM
In all honestly, I wasn't as impressed as I wanted/hoped to be.
The two big things were Siri & Maps.

Could have added a few extra things to be honest, like camera settings, the panaroma feature they've had built in for awhile, Facebook messages in the messages app (I don't think it currently is set to do this?), quick-settings in notification center, more apps in folders, hide stock apps (certainly now that they've added yet another default app) and a few other things.

Nevermind though! Maybe they'll add some more throughout the beta....ios 5

People keep saying this update is bigger than iOS 5....I don't see how? iOS 5 gave us notification center, iMessage, PC Free, Reminders, Photo editing and so much more.........

agreed, iOS 5 changed the way you used your iPhone etc, iOS 6 wont.

riam
Jun 12, 2012, 09:46 AM
I think the issue is, most of the general population of iPhone users expect a major change every year. I blame it on the media and their rumor mills.

Case in point, articles titled this: Next iOS update could be Apple's biggest in a long time (http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-ios-6-rumors-20120604,0,1564866.story)

Its not only Apple that does it too, Android is also at fault for this. Going from Eclair to Gingerbread was pathetic at best.

----------

Holy crap, thanks!!!

yeah the media is altering the perspective of users, i am not saying that i am pleased with the updates, (i was expecting updated iMacs ) but the history of the updates has been this way and i don't think apple will change that

FlatlinerG
Jun 12, 2012, 10:43 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. I love using my iPhone with iOS 5 as it is. iOS 6 stands to simply add to the functionality. I am happy with that.

Seems like everyone would rather completely relearn their iPhone every single year..

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 10:50 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. I love using my iPhone with iOS 5 as it is. iOS 6 stands to simply add to the functionality. I am happy with that.

Seems like everyone would rather completely relearn their iPhone every single year..

This seems to be the fanboy credo.... "I don't see what the big deal is, therefore others shouldn't either."

All we're asking for is functionality that already exists. Is it so hard to add settings toggles to the notification menu? Or being able to download anything from safari? Or the ability to attach any kind of document to an email? Pretty sure none of these things come with a learning curve.

FlatlinerG
Jun 12, 2012, 10:53 AM
This seems to be the fanboy credo.... "I don't see what the big deal is, therefore others shouldn't either."

All we're asking for is functionality that already exists. Is it so hard to add settings toggles to the notification menu? Or being able to download anything from safari? Or the ability to attach any kind of document to an email? Pretty sure none of these things come with a learning curve.

If my comment is fan boyish, then yours can't speak for everyone either. I could care less about settings toggles or downloading content from Safari. Just because you want these things, doesn't mean the rest of us do. My comment was a simple post commenting on the thread discussion about the opinion of the changes coming in iOS 6.

pdjudd
Jun 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
Or being able to download anything from safari? Or the ability to attach any kind of document to an email? Pretty sure none of these things come with a learning curve.

That requires an exposed filesystem - something that Apple is just not going to expose. I don't think that it even exists in any meaningful way.

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 11:00 AM
If my comment is fan boyish, then yours can't speak for everyone either. I could care less about settings toggles or downloading content from Safari. Just because you want these things, doesn't mean the rest of us do. My comment was a simple post commenting on the thread discussion about the opinion of the changes coming in iOS 6.

Do a search in here for toggles.

You will find hundreds asking for it. There's a reason SBSettings has over 10 million downloads.

Abazigal
Jun 12, 2012, 11:08 AM
agreed, iOS 5 changed the way you used your iPhone etc, iOS 6 wont.

Maybe it is a good thing that it doesn't?

The update promises over 200 improvements. That strikes me as being fairly substantial, and I doubt anybody will even come close to using a fraction of them.

To me at least, that is as good a new os as any. At least I don't have to bother relearning a new platform. It is still the same iOS I know and love, but with small little updates that streamline the way I do things, but won't change them fundamentally.

Heck, I only just learnt today that my iPad and iPhone could be used to read selected text back to me! Clearly, I still have a lot of exploring to do. At any rate, I doubt that many people are ready for, much less need a new system.

FlatlinerG
Jun 12, 2012, 11:10 AM
Do a search in here for toggles.

You will find hundreds asking for it. There's a reason SBSettings has over 10 million downloads.

So what percentage is that of all iOS devices out there? :rolleyes: Again, just because it's posted on here "hundreds" of times, doesn't mean that every single person wants it. While the feature would be a nice touch, not everyone cares and some of us do prefer not having it at all. That might seem a little ridiculous to you but it's true.

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 11:11 AM
So what percentage is that of all iOS devices out there? :rolleyes: Again, just because it's posted on here "hundreds" of times, doesn't mean that every single person wants it. While the feature would be a nice touch, not everyone cares and some of us do prefer not having it at all. That might seem a little ridiculous to you but it's true.

Again, it has TEN MILLION downloads.

Just saying.

FlatlinerG
Jun 12, 2012, 11:42 AM
Again, it has TEN MILLION downloads.

Just saying.

Again, there are over 365 MILLION iOS devices.

Just doing math.

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 11:50 AM

Just doing math.

How about we only count devices eligible for iOS 6? Not to mention, this number is simply a sample size of people who know how to jailbreak their phones.

But hey, continue to argue I'm off base for thinking a majority of people want this when you're actually trying to argue the antithesis.

Pot, meet kettle.

BFizzzle
Jun 12, 2012, 12:23 PM
i just need some form of quick settings in my notification center, and a quick reply for sms. for when you are watching a movie, gaming, or reading a book etc.

then i think i wont have a need to jailbreak since they added facetime over cellular finalllllly

----------

That requires an exposed filesystem - something that Apple is just not going to expose. I don't think that it even exists in any meaningful way.

no it doesn't, not at least for downloads.

pdjudd
Jun 12, 2012, 12:49 PM
no it doesn't, not at least for downloads.
Yes it does if it is going to be downloaded someplace for retrieval.

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 12:51 PM

The application "Filer" does a great job of this. No reason why Apple can't incorporate it in some kind of sandboxed environment....

nuckinfutz
Jun 12, 2012, 01:03 PM

Agreed but correction. They folks that want a heavily revamped UI are so small they're relatively inconsequential. Apple has something that works across a wide age range. They're not going to get tweaky to appease a niche of a niche of a niche of users. Jailbreak if you want tweaky features.

I love how people trivialize on these boards. Replacing Google Maps with a workable solution took 3 years and the acquisition of 3 companies (Placebase, Poly9 and C3) in addition to licensing Maps from Tom Tom and probably other companies. It's a HUGE effort.

That's not something you bolt on in a 5.x update.

FlatlinerG
Jun 12, 2012, 01:03 PM
How about we only count devices eligible for iOS 6? Not to mention, this number is simply a sample size of people who know how to jailbreak their phones.

But hey, continue to argue I'm off base for thinking a majority of people want this when you're actually trying to argue the antithesis.

Pot, meet kettle.

Okay, so you can instantly say you are right just because you believe that the "majority of people" want this. I'm simply arguing the fact that neither you, myself, or anyone else on these forums have any sweet clue what the majority want.

I'm only looking at what we know, which is next to nothing, whereas you are looking at pure speculation based on what you have read online.

If you believe this strongly that you can be the voice for the "majority" of iOS customers, then have at it, I simply cannot win an argument with that much ignorance.

Enjoy your e-victory.

dba415
Jun 12, 2012, 01:04 PM
yes it was completely underwhelming, probably the weakest update apple has ever put out.

lame

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 01:09 PM
Agreed but correction. They folks that want a heavily revamped UI are so small they're relatively inconsequential. Apple has something that works across a wide age range. They're not going to get tweaky to appease a niche of a niche of a niche of users. Jailbreak if you want tweaky features.

I love how people trivialize on these boards. Replacing Google Maps with a workable solution took 3 years and the acquisition of 3 companies (Placebase, Poly9 and C3) in addition to licensing Maps from Tom Tom and probably other companies. It's a HUGE effort.

That's not something you bolt on in a 5.x update.

If it took 3 years to make this maps app, thats disappointing.

I love having conversations with die hard Apple fans, because their arguments are entirely based off conjecture. The number people who want a revamped UI is so small its inconsequential... lol... What's your sample size exactly?

----------

Okay, so you can instantly say you are right just because you believe that the "majority of people" want this. I'm simply arguing the fact that neither you, myself, or anyone else on these forums have any sweet clue what the majority want.

I'm only looking at what we know, which is next to nothing, whereas you are looking at pure speculation based on what you have read online.

If you believe this strongly that you can be the voice for the "majority" of iOS customers, then have at it, I simply cannot win an argument with that much ignorance.

Enjoy your e-victory.

How am I being ignorant?

Are you NOT claiming the opposite based off of your own feelings? I put out there FACTS. The fact is that 10 million people have jailbroken their phone simply to get toggle switches. That is a fact. Your argument was, "I don't feel like this is necessary. Therefore others must feel the same way." Give me a break.

Stop debating when your only weapon is conjecture.

BFizzzle
Jun 12, 2012, 01:10 PM

no it doesnt...

there are download apps in the app store currently. i can download stuff with in the app and copy it to my computer through itunes via the app files. you can even open the files you download with other apps( vlc player etc.)

apple could easily have a download manager in safari, and allow you to retrieve the files the same way. there would still be no need for the user to have access to the file system.

cjmillsnun
Jun 12, 2012, 01:11 PM

And here we have the typical troll... Note the joining date... Jun 2012.

1. Settings toggles in the notification menu isn't and never will be Apple's way aesthetically.

2. You can download documents and pdfs or things like that from Safari. If you have an app that can read them.

I do agree with you on docs tho. That would be useful.

BFizzzle
Jun 12, 2012, 01:11 PM
The application "Filer" does a great job of this. No reason why Apple can't incorporate it in some kind of sandboxed environment....

my point exactly. thanks

cjmillsnun
Jun 12, 2012, 01:12 PM

Pot, meet kettle.

The majority of iOS devices are eligible (with the exception of the iPod touch line).

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 01:15 PM
The majority of iOS devices are eligible (with the exception of the iPod touch line).

Well, recalculate using those numbers then.

nuckinfutz
Jun 12, 2012, 01:15 PM

I love having conversations with die hard Apple fans, because their arguments are entirely based off conjecture. The number people who want a revamped UI is so small its inconsequential... lol... What's your sample size exactly?[COLOR="#808080"]

Thousands annually. Most Android users looking at the iPhone are concerned about Navigation features or rather losing them.

The UI freshness/staleness never comes up.

There's a serious disconnect between what geeks want and what the common user wants. On forums things like Bluray in Macs and new whizzy UI features or even toggling Bluetooth or Wifi gain importance that simply isn't replicated by the general buying public.

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 01:16 PM

1. Settings toggles in the notification menu isn't and never will be Apple's way aesthetically.

2. You can download documents and pdfs or things like that from Safari. If you have an app that can read them.

Yes typical troll that owns 2 iPads, an iPhone, 2 MBP's, and an Apple TV as well as having been a developer since 2010.

Forgive me for my sign up date. Continue to call me a troll though for pointing out the truth.

I can love the company and dislike the following.

And, I'm pretty sure this is quite nice "aesthetically":

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17p2mgfm0tsvypng/original.png

cjmillsnun
Jun 12, 2012, 01:17 PM

I love having conversations with die hard Apple fans, because their arguments are entirely based off conjecture. The number people who want a revamped UI is so small its inconsequential... lol... What's your sample size exactly?

----------

How am I being ignorant?

Are you NOT claiming the opposite based off of your own feelings? I put out there FACTS. The fact is that 10 million people have jailbroken their phone simply to get toggle switches. That is a fact. Your argument was, "I don't feel like this is necessary. Therefore others must feel the same way." Give me a break.

Stop debating when your only weapon is conjecture.

The fact is 2.7% of iOS users have jailbroken their phone and installed that app. It is likely that isn't the primary reason for their jailbreak.

That leaves 97.3% of iOS users who have chosen not to install the app.

nuckinfutz
Jun 12, 2012, 01:20 PM
LOL

Appeal to authority logical fallacy.

"I own a bunch of Apple gear and develop apps so I cannot be a Troll"

Sure.

BFizzzle
Jun 12, 2012, 01:22 PM

whew im glad i joined in 2010,

dont want to be considered a troll... :p

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 01:23 PM
LOL

Appeal to authority logical fallacy.

"I own a bunch of Apple gear and develop apps so I cannot be a Troll"

Sure.

Speaking of logical fallacies, I signed up this month. Therefore I must be a troll.

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 12, 2012, 01:28 PM
Its funny how the 'nerds' want Apple to blow iOS up and reinvent the wheel.

BFizzzle
Jun 12, 2012, 01:30 PM
i think apple realizes to some extent there is a demand for changing the settings. i mean they did add the brightness changer to the multitasking tray.

Gatecrasher1875
Jun 12, 2012, 01:35 PM
Maybe it is a good thing that it doesn't?

The update promises over 200 improvements. That strikes me as being fairly substantial, and I doubt anybody will even come close to using a fraction of them.

To me at least, that is as good a new os as any. At least I don't have to bother relearning a new platform. It is still the same iOS I know and love, but with small little updates that streamline the way I do things, but won't change them fundamentally.

Heck, I only just learnt today that my iPad and iPhone could be used to read selected text back to me! Clearly, I still have a lot of exploring to do. At any rate, I doubt that many people are ready for, much less need a new system.
:)

I see the point your making and I dont think many are asking for a complete over hawl of the iOS which I feel is a good OS. It just seems some of the basic features other systems have are taking a long time to reach iOS.

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 01:35 PM
Its funny how the 'nerds' want Apple to blow iOS up and reinvent the wheel.

You say 'nerd' as if its a bad thing.

What are Apple engineers? Jocks?

My bad, I'll stop voicing my opinion on how retarded it is that Siri can tell me the who has most sacks in the NFL but can't comprehend "Turn off wifi". Really re-inventing the wheel there.

Syk
Jun 12, 2012, 01:38 PM
Yes typical troll that owns 2 iPads, an iPhone, 2 MBP's, and an Apple TV as well as having been a developer since 2010.

Forgive me for my sign up date. Continue to call me a troll though for pointing out the truth.

I can love the company and dislike the following.

And, I'm pretty sure this is quite nice "aesthetically":

Image (http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17p2mgfm0tsvypng/original.png)

I sure wouldn't mind having something like that. A quick way to go into airplane mode, turn off/on BT,wifi, audio or brightness controls.

It's not about revinventing the wheel but making task quicker.SBSsettings is a great tool. When I updated my phone one time before a jailbreak was out I kept swiping the top of the screen haha. I'm surprised something similar wasn't added but I will reserve judgement as maybe it'll be something that gets added before release of comes with the new iphone

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 12, 2012, 01:42 PM
You say 'nerd' as if its a bad thing.

What are Apple engineers? Jocks?

My bad, I'll stop voicing my opinion on how retarded it is that Siri can tell me the who has most sacks in the NFL but can't comprehend "Turn off wifi". Really re-inventing the wheel there.

Not saying a 'nerd' is a bad thing.

Simply pointing out that they are an insignificant portion of the consumer base.

johndallas999
Jun 12, 2012, 02:58 PM
If you think I was yawning at iOS6 then great. Unfortunately, I wasn't.

Yeah, I didn't really yawn but agree that it was very underwelming.

----------

Just doing math.

LOL, Canadians!

Reaktor5
Jun 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
I think when Apple focuses on 6 or so major features, the rest of the 294 get overlooked. Some of those new features may have been tweaks that users were waiting for however small they might be.

PacificBeach
Jun 12, 2012, 07:32 PM
After the lackluster iOS6 , Galaxy S3 pre-orders are probably over 10 million!
http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-pre-order-9-million-units-86781/

BHP41
Jun 12, 2012, 09:07 PM
I think a lot of the stuff has been left out on purpose. the next gen iPhone will be coming out at the same time iOS6 hits. We may yet to have seen all that's going to be implemented in iOS6. Remember this is just the beta on 200 new features. I'm expecting that the next iPhone will bring a little more to the table.

About a complete redesign, I hope not. THe UI is simple and navigate. For me it's all about productivity. The things that I see missing here is quick reply(not bitesms, quick reply) like they have for twitter and facebook now. Options on the NC and lock screen as to what to do with phone calls,messages and emails. reply,delete,mark read...etc. Much the same as lock info or IntelliscreenX. View all unread messages in the mail app. I know you can see that from NC but they really need that in the mail.app. Also, even though they have a flag mailbox, color coded flags would be nice. Same as in the OSX mail.app.

While Apple get it closer with each version, there are still things I'd like to see. Doing a total redesign would not be the way to go. I don't want to learn a new OS, and that's what you'd have with a redesign. Doing as Apple has for the past 5 years is exactly what they need to do.

I want to touch on something that I've seen a lot of, multitasking. The only way that I can see making it easier is to add Activator to the menu. That's something that I think if Apple did would be a highlight for almost every user. mutlitasking is easy now, I don't want or need to see a card that I can't tell whats on it and still need a icon or text to tell me what app it is. The tray is great and shouldn't be changed. Getting to that tray needs to be a little easier though.

----------

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-pre-order-9-million-units-86781/

Since Samsung doesn't report devices sold, they only report shipped(big difference) and this came from a source not Samsung. I'll wait till this thing actually starts shipping before I'll call it that big of a success.;)

irDigital0l
Jun 12, 2012, 09:23 PM

Not trying to defend that iOS 6 was exactly great but honestly I don't see that happening (millions switching to SGIII).

While maybe like half of the forum here that iOS 6 was lackluster, other people who don't live in this tech bubble honestly don't know. Like "casual" users or first smartphone users.

All they see is great new features being added. Thats where I think Apple is trying to focus on, like globally by announcing Siri in new languages and supporting Chinese users with tons of new features.

Just my 2 cents.

KittyKatta
Jun 12, 2012, 09:34 PM

You must live in a bubble then. Apple had a two year jump on everyone but Just take a look at how quickly the "copycat" mobile OSs have caught up and even surpassed many parts of iOS.

I still prefer iPhones over everything but the platform is not doing a good job at keeping its lead and earning its "innovative" descriptor.

PacificBeach
Jun 12, 2012, 09:51 PM
Since Samsung doesn't report devices sold, they only report shipped(big difference) and this came from a source not Samsung. I'll wait till this thing actually starts shipping before I'll call it that big of a success.;)

haters gonna hate......But a little education about the Galaxy S3 pre-order process, when u pre-order the Galaxy S3 you MUST use an upgrade and pay for the device via credit card! Sold all pre-orders are SOLD!
:)
----------

Not trying to defend that iOS 6 was exactly great but honestly I don't see that happening (millions switching to SGIII).

While maybe like half of the forum here that iOS 6 was lackluster, other people who don't live in this tech bubble honestly don't know. Like "casual" users or first smartphone users.

All they see is great new features being added. Thats where I think Apple is trying to focus on, like globally by announcing Siri in new languages and supporting Chinese users with tons of new features.

Just my 2 cents.

haters gonna hate......But a little education about the Galaxy S3 pre-order process, when u pre-order the Galaxy S3 you MUST use an upgrade and pay for the device via credit card! Sold all pre-orders are SOLD!

Rogifan
Jun 12, 2012, 09:54 PM

You had me until you mentioned Steve. This whole 'if Steve were around things would be different' meme is getting quite old. Steve was not God and not everything Apple did was perfect and wonderful while Steve was running the show.

Just curious, is the awesome new retina MBP a result of Steve's absence too?

BHP41
Jun 12, 2012, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=PacificBeach;15023629]haters gonna hate......But a little education about the Galaxy S3 pre-order process, when u pre-order the Galaxy S3 you MUST use an upgrade and pay for the device via credit card! Sold all pre-orders are SOLD![COLOR="#808080"]

So Samsung has said they have 9 million pre-orders. OK, thought there for a second that some anonymous source had stated that. :rolleyes:

Reach9
Jun 12, 2012, 10:27 PM

Agreed! But it was expected, I said before that this year's WWDC will be a very underwhelming one. Actually.. if the next iPhone looks just like the leaks we're seeing.. then this year would be an underwhelming one for Apple on all accounts.

irDigital0l
Jun 12, 2012, 11:34 PM

Not a hater.

Like I said I don't see millions switching to Android because iOS 6 was lackluster. Its not realistic.

Most people who buy iPhones really dont follow the tech world so much as others do. All the new people that buy them, first time users of a smartphone, countries that finally get the iPhone and Siri, etc.