Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Hello guys,

with the latest update of aperture its now very easy to switch between libraries but I have recently switched from iPhoto to Aperture and I would like to know if there is a way to merge it without the import function.
The reason why I am hesitant about the import is the fact that I don't have the HDD space so I simply can't import it and then delete the old one so I was wondering if there is a merge option that would just simply take the iPhoto library and physically move it to Aperture library so I can then ignore iPhoto completely.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I don't use iPhoto....Don't really know why I bother updating it really, because it's there I guess. Aperture isn't perfect, but it can be tamed. I'm fortunate enough to have ample storage space....( well for now anyway) I haven't had a chance to organise my library's yet....I had just clean installed Lion on my IMac prior to last nights WWDC. All my library and archive material is currently residing on my Pegasus R4, but I'm going to try a more disciplined approach to Aperture libraries.

If I hadn't had a major argument with Adobe a good few years back I would probably use LR but thats a Differnt story.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
In the latest updates iPhone and Aperture use the same library and therefore any changes made in Aperture will then be visible in iPhoto and vica versa.

Check software update!

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Here is a trick question for you guys which I don't understand.

iPhoto library 140GB.
I have cleared 160GB in order to do the import.
When I go to Aperture to import it it tells me that I need 330GB.

Why does it need so much more when iPhoto library is only 140GB?

What am I missing here please?

grillface

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2011
Here is a trick question for you guys which I don't understand.

iPhoto library 140GB.
I have cleared 160GB in order to do the import.
When I go to Aperture to import it it tells me that I need 330GB.

Why does it need so much more when iPhoto library is only 140GB?

What am I missing here please?

I have the same issue and I'd love to get some answers. Why does my ~60GB iPhoto library require me to have ~550GB free to do a merge? (By the way, my HDD is only 500GB, so figure that one out).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.