PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Introduces 'Share Everything' Service Plan for Up to Ten Devices

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 12, 2012, 08:42 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/verizon-introduces-share-everything-service-plan-for-up-to-ten-devices/)

Verizon today announced (http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/06/pr2012-06-11e.html) the launch of a new "Share Everything" pricing structure designed to allow users to share monthly data allotments across multiple devices. The plan, which is rolling out on June 28, includes unlimited voice and messaging across all devices, with an overall data cap and number and type of devices being the only differentiating factors among pricing tiers.

Each device carries a base monthly access charge ranging from $10 for a tablet to $40 for a smartphone. A single data charge is then applied on top of that base amount, starting at $50 for 1 GB and ranging up to $100 for 10 GB. Mobile hotspot functionality within the data cap is also included at no extra charge.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/verizon_share_everything_matrix.jpg

Compared to Verizon's existing plans, the new Share Everything plan appears to represent a solid value even for single-device customers interested in unlimited minutes and texting, but less so for other customers.

Under Verizon's current pricing, a customer would pay a total of $120 per month for unlimited minutes ($70), unlimited messaging ($20) and 2 GB of data ($30). Adding mobile hotspot functionality costs an additional $20 but increases the total data cap to 4 GB.

With the new Share Everything plan, a customer would pay $100 per month for the same service: $40 smartphone access and $60 for unlimited minutes and messaging and 2 GB of data. With mobile hotspot functionality included at no additional charge, stepping up to the 4 GB plan would cost just $10. In addition, a user could add an iPad to his or her account for just $10 per month with no contract requirement, as long as it was drawing from the same data allotment as the user's phone.

The plans are not as good of a deal for users with packages of lower numbers of minutes. A user with 450 minutes, unlimited messaging and 2 GB of data would pay $90 under current plans, compared to $100 under Share Everything, although the new plan does offer mobile hotspot at no additional charge. Current plans also offer a range of messaging options from pay-per-use up to unlimited, allowing lower-use customers to cut their monthly bills even further.

As the balance of smartphone usage shifts increasingly toward data and away from voice minutes, carriers are seeking to simplify the voice and messaging aspects of their plans to focus on data allotments as the primary differentiator among their plans. The shift is a reversal from the previous model in which customers selected from a number of options for voice minutes and then received unlimited data for a set monthly charge. In addition to Verizon, AT&T has also expressed its preference for this new model, while Sprint, the third major iPhone carrier in the United States, has indicated that it remains committed to its unlimited data offerings.

Article Link: Verizon Introduces 'Share Everything' Service Plan for Up to Ten Devices (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/verizon-introduces-share-everything-service-plan-for-up-to-ten-devices/)

miles01110
Jun 12, 2012, 08:44 AM
Seriously, why is the prospect of "Unlimited minutes" even a selling point anymore? Unlimited minutes was relevant 10 years ago. Not so much these days.

daverso
Jun 12, 2012, 08:45 AM
actually seems surprisingly affordable... until the $40 per device...

green94
Jun 12, 2012, 08:46 AM
Your move AT&T...

WannaGoMac
Jun 12, 2012, 08:47 AM
Wow, no wonder it took so long! It takes a lot of time to figure out how to keep prices the same or HIGHER. Verizon way to go, you have some great employees! :)

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/12/3080245/verizons-share-everything-plans-miss-the-mark

slu
actually seems surprisingly affordable...

I don't agree. My wife and I do not currently have unlimited talk minutes or messaging. If we were to switch our two iPhones to this structure, we would actaully spend more money. I am glad the iPhone is going to pre-paid providers and that is where I will be going when my contract is up.

robvas
10GB data isn't enough for 1 power-user, much less shared between 10 devices.

eidling
Jun 12, 2012, 08:48 AM
Will corporate discounts still be eligible to be applied on this pricing?

Cougarcat
Pathetic. I sure hope at&t's is better, but I'll bet it'll be worse.

What's especially irritating is the $10 fee for tablets. You are essentially just buying "permission" to use the device with the data you already bought.

Carriers need to just be dumb pipes. I should be able to buy chunks of data and use it however I choose.

bdavis89
Still expensive unless unlimited minutes is what you want.

dstankus
Jun 12, 2012, 08:49 AM
Minutes? Giving people more minutes is an attraction?

I'm sure some people need them, but personally I use maybe 40 minutes a month, the rest of my iPhone/iPad usage is data and text messages. My kids the same way; 15,000 text messages and 50 talk minutes per month...

solgae
Jun 12, 2012, 08:49 AM
Apparently simplifying the plan = screwing over customers by forcing to pay for unlimited voice and move over to low data usage tiers. Under their new share everything plan, our family would be paying nearly $50 more for the unlimited voice minutes we don't need, as well as a horribly low data cap for all our smartphone devices. I need to reconsider moving from my AT&T individual plan...

razmy
Jun 12, 2012, 08:51 AM
Edit: Quoted price from Family Share plan. Apologies.

macduke
Jun 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
This seems like a better option for families than married couples or single people who don't talk and text a whole lot. My wife and I have no text plan and the smallest talk plan AT&T allows. We still end up with thousands in rollover. iMessages allows for texts to most of most of my friends and for those that have something else I use textPlus for free texting. I have unlimited data and my wife has 200MB and our bill is usually around $110/mo after taxes. That being said, I'm probably going to switch to Verizon with the next iPhone just because AT&T ticked me off over an issue and their coverage is shoddy.

fkhan3
Jun 12, 2012, 08:54 AM
$40 per line for a smartphone? - what a ripoff!

mlmwalt
This may be affordable if they allow the corporate discounts to be applied to the Monthly access fees as well as the data charges. I am about to have 3 smart phones on my family plan, which is currently $185/month (including all taxes and fees) with unlimited data for 2 devices. Under this structure, I'm at $220, without taxes and fees. Need to see how this shakes out.

BTW unlimited voice is irrelevant to me and the unlimited messages loses its luster when you factor in the iMessage savings.

lifeinhd
Why is it $40 for a smartphone and only $10 for a tablet? I'd expect the tablet to use more data.

Oh, right. Because they can. Everyone needs data on their smartphone, not everyone needs data on their tablet. Especially since tethering is included.

I wonder if I can just activate data on my iPad and tether my phone to it? Stupid solution to a problem that shouldn't exist, but I'd be saving $30/month.

basesloaded190
Jun 12, 2012, 08:55 AM
Looks like I will be purchasing my next iPhone at full price to keep my current plan.

diane143
Jun 12, 2012, 08:55 AM
I don't agree. My wife and I do not currently have unlimited talk minutes or messaging. If we were to switch our two iPhones to this structure, we would actaully spend more money. I am glad the iPhone is going to pre-paid providers and that is where I will be going when my contract is up.

I'm in the same boat. I pay $40 for 450 minutes which I rarely use (and if I do, or need to bump up the plan it's due to work and they pay for it). Then $10 for messaging (I swear I used to have a $5 plan).

So that's $50. Plus $30 for the iPhone brings it to $80.

With their new plan I'd be paying $90.

I'd break even if I had the iPad on either plan, but the way it is now, I have more data.

I hope they are not doing away with their other plans as this one stinks for the low usage people!

castlema
Jun 12, 2012, 08:57 AM
They just assume people want more of everything. At most we use 100 minutes of voice per month, all our messages are iMessage and with two iPhones we use less than 500 MB per month. This new plan would cost us more every month. We shall stay put.

Thunderhawks
Jun 12, 2012, 08:57 AM

What's especially irritating is the $10 fee for tablets. You are essentially just buying "permission" to use the device with the data you already bought.

Carriers need to just be dumb pipes. I should be able to buy chunks of data and use it however I choose.

Agreed, why does it matter what device we access. It's all data?

$ 10 for a tablet is $ 120 a year just for that. Not happening here:-)

It's like a water company wanted to charge us for taking water from a
faucet and charge extra if we use

a bucket vs.
a sprinkler vs
a hose

etc.

CrAkD
Jun 12, 2012, 08:58 AM
Once the iPhone gos LTE it might be worth it. I pay $180 for 2 iPhones now on AT&T for 2 iPhones and an iPad with more data would be less on Verizon. But verizon speed on 3G is way too slow. However it would be better if unlimited voice wasn't included don't need it.

Small White Car
EDIT: Oh, nevermind. I mis-read the chart. Based on this I'd be spending $100 and still get no data at that point.

tmoney468
So right now I pay about $68 for 450 minutes, 500 texts, and unlimited data. Under the new plan, I'd pay $90 + fees for unlimited minutes and text, and 1 GB of data? Screw you verizon! Never thought I would say this but I'll prob switch to ATT when the new iPhone comes out

"Share Everything?" More like "Share the lube!"

diane143
Jun 12, 2012, 08:59 AM
So who's up for contacting them? It worked when they were going to add a charge if you paid by cc!

lifeinhd
Looks like I will be purchasing my next iPhone at full price to keep my current plan.

I'm sure VZW is just fine with that. Means they don't have to subsidize, so they get more money anyways.

flyingember
over my current AT&T plan this would cost me more. not worth moving for this. here's to AT&T to do better.

the core problem is they started too high on the data cost. right now a 5gb hotspot plan that can be shared among 5 devices at once costs $50 per month. so why does 1gb all of a sudden cost $50?

the problem is they didn't spread out the cost more. $100 for 10gb is fine but it needed to be more like this with a pair of low-cost options on the low end.

1gb for $15
2 $25
4 $40
6 $60
8 $80
10 for $100

What I want to see from AT&T is like their shared voice. add a plan onto the primary account and share it on an additional device for a flat rate per month. no special requirement to move to a new voice plan that costs me more.

$65 for sharing my current 4gb plan among three devices would cost me less than my current 9gb for $100. Among all three devices using even 3gb total is uncommon.

and that's like cutting 4 months of cell phone cost and AT&T had a greater chance of getting overage charges from me. with unlimited voice and big buckets they sure wouldn't

propynyl
Overall I think I'm a pretty smart person. It is not like I got a 1600 on my SATs or anything, but I am certainly no slouch. That said, this new "Shared Plan" is insanly confusing. It is really rediculous.

For a great parody on this type of thing, watch Portlandia. They have this skit where the two main characters are trying to sign up for cell phone plans, and the salesman goes through like a hundred different combinations. Hilarity ensues.

foodog
Jun 12, 2012, 09:01 AM
$40 per line for a smartphone? - what a ripoff!

No the real rip-off is $30 for a feature phone.

iansilv
Jun 12, 2012, 09:03 AM

This. Well put.

groupersandwich
Jun 12, 2012, 09:03 AM
Will corporate discounts still be eligible to be applied on this pricing?

Good question! I'm currently getting an 18% discount on my primary line. I would assume that would still exist, although likely only applied to the $40 per line portion.

siurpeeman
Jun 12, 2012, 09:04 AM
so these are the plans they expect us to adopt when upgrading to the next iphone? if that's the case, my monthly bill would increase $25/mo, $600 over the life of a contract. i can't believe i'd actually be better off buying an unsubsidized iphone.

emvath
Jun 12, 2012, 09:05 AM
Holy ripoff! So if my wife and I both want iPhones with 4 gigs of data to share we would have to pay 150 a month (before taxes and fees of course)?

lifeinhd
Jun 12, 2012, 09:05 AM
What really pisses me off is this:

Q: I have an unlimited data plan on my account. Do I need to change it?

A: You're not required to move to Share Everything but if you do, unlimited data will not be retained on your line. As a Verizon Wireless customer you have choices when you upgrade at discounted pricing. You can choose from a standalone data package starting at $30 for 2GB or a Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited is important to you, you can choose to upgrade and pay full retail price for the phone.

They make it sound like us unlimited users will be fine... until the last sentence :mad:

bstr
Jun 12, 2012, 09:06 AM
Where can I get a 4.65" tablet?

iansilv
When those who resist change with every breath they have actually change, it is the beginning of their defeat. These carriers are realizing that they will be dumb pipes that only exist to transfer data. I don't care about advertising campaigns or arrogant CEOs telling me that by buying their product I have somehow done something wrong when I bought unlimited data. Bring on more change for these idiotic companies. I'll stay on wifi for my tablet. I'll keep my unlimited data on my phone- unlimited messaging is meaningless with iMessage.

This is the beginning of change for these companies.

zweigand
I'm on day 19 of my billing cycle.
I've used 18 minutes of voice time.
I have SMS blocked completely.

How exactly is this supposed to sound appealing to me?

dokujaryu
Jun 12, 2012, 09:08 AM
I'm currently paying over $180 per month to AT&T for unlimited data (~3-5GB throttle I guess?), unlimited texts, and limited minutes.

If we switched to Verizon, we would pay $180 for unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 10GB of LTE (if we switched to droids) speed data. And only $10 to add my iPad on there.

That's a pretty amazing savings. My iPad would have data! :D

BMNB1tch
Jun 12, 2012, 09:09 AM
wow what a joke, US mobile carriers are the worst :mad:

NAG
Jun 12, 2012, 09:09 AM
Part of me knew this was a possibility, but I was hoping with shared data they would just drop the whole minutes and text scam and just come out and charge sustainable rates for data. At the moment they're basically pricing their data at $10. When everything is data in the future and people can switch to wifi for a lot of stuff, will that be able to sustain them?

foodog
Jun 12, 2012, 09:10 AM
I'm sure VZW is just fine with that. Means they don't have to subsidize, so they get more money anyways.

That is why pre-paid is the way to go

BladesOfSteel
Jun 12, 2012, 09:11 AM
if ATT took the same approach, I would actually end up paying more.

I'd be paying 200 dollars for the 5 iPhones on my family plan . . . then I'd have to go with the 10GB option, so that is 300 bucks for a total.

That data is pricing is outrageous! 80 dollars to share 6GB??

cadillac1234
Jun 12, 2012, 09:11 AM
I'm absolutely shocked that Verizon came out with a shared plan that is actually worse than the existing plans :rolleyes:

Wouldn't be bad until they threw in the per device charge. I wonder how many MBAs were needed to come up with that.

swarmster
Jun 12, 2012, 09:12 AM

Actually, (aside from all the other problems with this) it's the fact that feature phones and smart phones have different prices that is insulting. They're both phones, so they use the same amount of voice and text, and you're paying by the GB, so how feature-rich the phone is is irrelevant.

They're charging smart phone users more because they can, and for literally no other reason. These plans make that super blatant.

surma884
For 5 smart phones the lowest you can pay is $250/mo and you have to share that 1GB of data across all 5 phones. Still pretty high I think. Not very impressed. I'm praying for Sprint to get back up on its feet so we can have some competition. These orange and red pricks keep increasing prices for less value.

Boatboy24
Ripoff!

Hello Sprint!

Small White Car
Jun 12, 2012, 09:13 AM
I actually don't get this at all. Why would I want to spend $40 per smart phone (and not get any additional data for that money) when the regular plans give you more data with each phone you add to your plan?

I thought the entire point of data-sharing plans is that you pay per the data, not per device. By setting up a data-shring plan that charges by the device Verizon has completely missed the point.

Porco
Jun 12, 2012, 09:13 AM
Looks like a shiny new model for creaky old idiocy.

tigres
Jun 12, 2012, 09:14 AM
I'm currently paying over $180 per month to AT&T for unlimited data (~3-5GB throttle I guess?), unlimited texts, and limited minutes.

If we switched to Verizon, we would pay $180 for unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and 10GB of LTE (if we switched to droids) speed data. And only $10 to add my iPad on there.

How many users do you have?
because if it's 2, your paying too much w/AT&T. But if it's 3, you miscalculated your new Verizon bill.

NAG
Jun 12, 2012, 09:14 AM
Actually, (aside from all the other problems with this) it's the fact that feature phones and smart phones have different prices that is insulting. They're both phones, so they use the same amount of voice and text, and you're paying by the GB, so how feature-rich the phone is is irrelevant.

They're charging smart phone users more because they can, and for literally no other reason. These plans make that super blatant.

They're basically saying $10 for access to data and $30 for access to traditional calls and SMS. Which is insane. They're pricing old tech higher than new tech. They're setting themselves up to do a perceived rate hike in the future.

zorinlynx
Jun 12, 2012, 09:15 AM
I figured with all the additional bandwidth LTE has, that data would become cheaper per GB, since there's that much more capacity.

I guess I was naive. What's the point having three times the speed when the amount you can use total remains the same or goes DOWN for the same price?

troop231
Hurry up with shared data plans ATT!

dstemm

Exactly! Why is the monthly plan more for a smartphone vs a regular phone? And why is there even a monthly charge for the tablet if all it uses is the data portion?

cadillac1234
Jun 12, 2012, 09:16 AM
Hurry up with shared data plans ATT!

Verizon is counting on AT$T to make their shared plan seem reasonable by comparison

bossxii
Jun 12, 2012, 09:17 AM
WTH? $40 for a smartphone to "access" the data plan. Sad, lame, and other words I cannot say here.

I don't mind paying $100 bucks for 10gig of shared data... but screw paying "access" charges. Thankfully my $75/mo for unlimited Data will remain in my LTE iPad and I'll gladly pay full price for any upgrades vs getting hosed into one of these plans.

NAG
Jun 12, 2012, 09:18 AM
I figured with all the additional bandwidth LTE has, that data would become cheaper per GB, since there's that much more capacity.

I guess I was naive. What's the point having three times the speed when the amount you can use total remains the same or goes DOWN for the same price?

Bandwidth doesn't change where the bottleneck is in this instance.

bevo
Jun 12, 2012, 09:19 AM
I was hoping this would be decent, I'm left being confused.

I'm no idiot, but this pricing is ridiculously complicated.

Was looking at adding my wife to my plan because she wanted an iphone. I feel like I would be getting bent over. I use about 1.3-1.5 gigs/month right now. She'd prob be less than 500 mb a month.

Too pricey.

Wish there was a way to protest this crap. These carriers are just twisting us clean.

Xenomorph
Jun 12, 2012, 09:20 AM
Well, it's NOT perfect, but I'll take it... as soon as AT&T gets it.

Right now, with my 700 Minute family plan with AT&T, my setup is like this:

$70 for "700 minutes" (we use hardly any).
$30 for my iPhone's "unlimited data" plan (with its 3GB cap).
$30 for unlimited messaging (we go through thousands).
$10 for daughter's "dumbphone."
$10 for wife's "dumbphone."

$150 for just *me* to have an iPhone, no tethering, and my wife and daughter limited to their basic phones.

With this new plan (if AT&T styles it like Verizon's), for another $40, we could get a 4GB shared plan, iPhones for for both my wife and daughter, and tethering enabled for all of our devices.
It's still a bad price, but better than dealing with terrible $20 plans for them and/or paying another $20 on top to get tethering on one device.

BJMRamage
Jun 12, 2012, 09:21 AM
This would be $10-15 more per month than my current AT&T plan.

Ridiculous.

Especially with the IDEA of Unlimited MInutes and Texts.
who cares about unlimited Voice. I have AT&T rollover and have the maximum 7k-8k per month in minutes to use. Wife and I use 40 if we decide to talk a lot on the phones.

no thanks Verizon.
Just charge X amount and figure out a Data usage for minutes and texts and say smartphone Data usage now includes minutes and texts for X price. and add to the X for each additional GB Data

GizmoDVD
Jun 12, 2012, 09:21 AM
This is beyond bad. Hope AT&T does better.

mknopp
Jun 12, 2012, 09:22 AM

That $40 per month is for the no longer optional unlimited minutes an text. Basically, people were getting to where they didn't care about talk and text and weren't paying the outrageous fees for them. So, Verizon basically made it non-optional to pay for their most expensive unlimited plans.

What a bunch of great guys! NOT!

Basically, this is only a good deal if you were buying the highest plan of everything that Verizon offered. If you didn't this is a ripoff.

Congratulations Verizon. I was seriously looking at switching to you when I heard about the shared data. But now you have ensured that I will not be your customer. Morons!

Tomacorno
I'm absolutely shocked that Verizon came out with a shared plan that is actually worse than the existing plans :rolleyes:

Wouldn't be bad until they threw in the per device charge. I wonder how many MBAs were needed to come up with that.

THAT is what caught me by surprise. I have 4 phones on a family plan. Two dumb, two iPhones with unlimited data. One of my kids is going off to college soon. My wife asked about getting the college bound kid an iPhone, being an idiot I said, Verizon is supposed to be offering shared data plans this summer so lets wait and see what our options are. This does not look like a good option at all. Price goes up, data goes down. $40 to have a smart phone on the line compared to $10 per extra phone now. Ridiculous data prices - whether you are a power user getting way to little data or a user who does not use a lot of data making the prices even lamer. :mad: In my current situation I use a lot of data and my wife uses hardly any, however, paying $60 for unlimited on two phones vs paying $60 for 2 gig across all devices? Plus, my current corporate discount is on the main line of the family sharing plan and the additional phones are $10 each. By the new plan, the amount I get a discount on presumably drops to $40.

I am not sure but it is possible that the new plan finally makes my discount irrelevant in my choice of carrier. Weird.

bevo
so if I'm doing my math right

For 2 iphones, its $80 ($40 x2 ) + $70 (4gb data), $150 + taxes as final cost?

iJon
Jun 12, 2012, 09:24 AM
I'm loving these new prices. I recently moved somewhere that ATT sucks and have been wanting to switch to Verizon.

We have 3 iPhones, need unlimited minutes and have an iPad 3. To get that same deal on Verizon old plan it would cost me about $320, mainly the data that's getting me. Since I have WiFi most places, I don't need that much data.

This new plan would cost me about $200 for all 4 devices. That's how much I'm paying on ATT for just 2 phones, no unlimited minutes.

Too bad this deal isn't good for some people, but it's super good for someone like me.

Rocketman
Jun 12, 2012, 09:28 AM
My plan has a smart, a dumb, a dead hot spot, and I might add a tablet.

I pay something like $140 now and this plan would bring me to $150.00 but have an activated dedicated wifi hot spot in a modem only location.

The modem is slow but has no usage limit.

I would be concerned the hotspot would encourage use over 2GB the smartphone does not.

Furthermore $50 for the first GB AFTER already paying an access fee compares horribly to ATT DSL at home for $30/month for by comparison unlimited usage. The mobile premium is something like 20x or more.

AbSoluTc
Jun 12, 2012, 09:28 AM
How can ANYONE justify or like this??

WTF Verizon? Really? Shared data at $100 a month for 10 gigs and then you're going to charge any smartphone $40 dollars to use it? HUH? What in the good **** are you smoking?

tigress666
Jun 12, 2012, 09:29 AM
Are you kidding me? How in the world unless you don't use much data and use the phone a lot is this a good deal?!

My roommate and I are paying about 100 dollars total to share a minutes plan with separate data plans (unlimited, grandfathered). Even if we decided to step down to limited we could pay the same and get 3 GB each.

The cheapest plan there would cost us 130 dollars and we'd have to share a whole 1 GB (two smartphones at 40 each plus the 50 dollars for the whole gigabite).

Am I doing my math wrong cause honestly I really don't see how they are going to get anyone but suckers who don't do the math and just see that they can share a data plan.

Hell, even if I went to my own plan and didn't share it would cost me 50 dollars which would still be cheaper than that (and get more GB of data).

I really really fail to see why that is such a good deal.

Reddmanz
Jun 12, 2012, 09:29 AM
Wow. Prices for this absolutely blow my mind. Makes me happy to be paying £35pm for unlimited minutes/texts and (tethered) data.

npro1464
Jun 12, 2012, 09:32 AM
Yeah, this family share plan is pretty much the most cockamamie thing proposed since the Spiderman bases. Why in the world would I or anyone want to go along with this? It's such a radical increase, and forcing us off our grandfathered plans to get us over to these new plans is bs!

I have the Galaxy SIII on pre-order so I could get past this, but at this point I might just cancel it. I could afford to scheme out how to keep unlimited data forever, but my parents will eventually want/need to upgrade. I can't lock them into another 2 yr contract and force them to deal with this. I'll look elsewhere. Maybe I'll use a prepaid plan and use a $400 Galaxy Nexus or go to Sprint or T-Mobile. Either way, I don't think I could sign on for another 2 years of this bs.

dokujaryu
How many users do you have?
because if it's 2, your paying too much w/AT&T. But if it's 3, you miscalculated your new Verizon bill.

It's two. The 180 is including taxes and crap, so it's not totally fair. And yeah, you don't have to tell me I'm paying too much.

Family Talk 700 with Rollover is $60
I was forced to get Family Unlimited Messaging which is $30.
Unlimited data $30
Second line $10
Unlimited data $30

So, it's really $160. The savings to me is I don't have to spend $30 to get 2gb of data for my iPad (which I don't do now), and I get unlimited minutes, which I don't get now, and the speed of that data can be LTE. Plus tethering, which is also additional on AT&T that I don't get now.

So, I think when everything is paid for, it'll be more like $200 on Verizon with all the taxes and adding the iPad fee. But I'll get tethering, ~9.5GB iPad data on LTE, and unlimited calling minutes. I'd be well into $100 more per month to get all those features.

REDTAZ
So I'm currently paying $226 for two iPhones (Unlimited Data) and three regular phones after a discount on the main line and get 1400 minutes and unlimited messaging. Both iphones combined use 4-6 gbd a month. The three regular phones I don't need data for since they won't use it all. My parents and grandmother (the three regular phones) can't deal with touchscreen phones, even less using data on them. How exactly does a plan like this benefit me in any way possible? The way I'm making it out to be I'll end up paying way more with this new plan structure considering the three regular phones won't be using data AT ALL. I could be doing my calculations wrong though. Anyone care to elaborate?

jlc1978
Especially with the IDEA of Unlimited MInutes and Texts.
who cares about unlimited Voice. I have AT&T rollover and have the maximum 7k-8k per month in minutes to use. Wife and I use 40 if we decide to talk a lot on the phones.
It really depends on your usage - I use my iPhone for work, and all my calls get routed to it so I use a lot of minutes per month.Realistically, mots plans have been unlimited with all the in - network - free evenings and weekends etc so this move is just a way to simplify plans and focus on what is the most expensive for carriers - data bandwidth.

Just charge X amount and figure out a Data usage for minutes and texts and say smartphone Data usage now includes minutes and texts for X price. and add to the X for each additional GB Data

Isn't that what they're doing - you get all the voice and text bandwidth you need for X - where is X is your estimate of how much data you will use; and then pay Y/GB above that?

The real challenge is of those of use who are used to unlimited data - one of my users streams netflix all day and hits the throttle cap regularly - with this new plan that could get real expensive.

kgallag1
Jun 12, 2012, 09:33 AM
This might quite possibly be the worst deal I've ever heard of!

Thadon
Jun 12, 2012, 09:34 AM
From the looks of it this would increase my bill by about $60. I don't see what is so good about this.

NAG
Jun 12, 2012, 09:35 AM
You know, assuming T-Mobile does gain full iPhone compatibility and they advertise prepaid heavily it could save them when AT&T inevitably comes out with a slightly worse version of this plan.

This is like the MCI long distance disruption all over again. (which ironically merged into Verizon)

AbSoluTc
Would cost me...

$100 for the plan
$40 iphone 1
$40 iphone 2
$40 iphone 3
$40 iphone 4

$260 a month for sharing 10 gig?

Right now I pay $215 a month, have "unlimited" data for one iphone and the 5gig data/hotspot on another and 2 dumb phones. Unlimited txt, calling and all that jazz. Yeah, no. Way to find even more ways to rip us off. I'm with AT&T and they better think twice before they pull this ****.

Gregintosh
I would actually save $5 or pay an extra $5 depending on if I went with 4GB or 6GB, but I'd be getting my iPad connected at least.

Well, I guess its better than having no connection on my iPad at all, and at least I gain unlimited texts.

However, I think I will wait for iPhone 5 to come out and see if T-Mobile gets it (they pretty much have to...) and if Virgin mobile keeps its deals on.

If I pay Verizon $30 a month for the iPad when I NEED to (for 2GB), then pay Virgin Mobile only $100 a month for two iPhone plans (with unlimited), that's $130 a month on busy months and only $100 a month regularly.

With Verizon, I'd be paying $155-$165 a month depending on the data tier EVERY month.

(all prices mentioned are before tax)

groupersandwich
I'm currently paying $198/month ($175 plus taxes and fees) for two iPhones (unlimited, we use ~1.5 gb combined) and dumb phone with a family share 1000 minutes (we use about 200/month) 1000 texts on the iPhones and unlimited texting on the dumb phone. This new plan would cost us $110 for access and $60 for the data/voice/text package, or $170. So we'd actually save about $5/month. I've promised my daughter she could have my iphone this fall when I upgrade so that would've been an additional $30 for 2gb of data, or $205 plus fees per month. On the new plan it will be an additional $10 for the iphone and we'd probably go to the 6gb plan, so another $20 for a grand total of $200/month before fees. We would still be saving $5/month. The key for me is going to be how corporate discounts are applied. If they are applied to the access fee AND the data package then I'm going to be doing pretty good.

gage006
Jun 12, 2012, 09:36 AM
Current Verizon plan:
$40 - 450 minutes
$10 - 500 messages
$30 - unlimited data
Total = $80 before fees and my discount

New plan:
$40 - Unlimited voice and messages
$50 - 1gb data
Total = $90 before fees and maybe my discount

Yeah, I'm not seeing any advantages here, Verizon.

tigress666
Jun 12, 2012, 09:36 AM
Well, it's NOT perfect, but I'll take it... as soon as AT&T gets it.

Right now, with my 700 Minute family plan with AT&T, my setup is like this:

$70 for "700 minutes" (we use hardly any).
$30 for my iPhone's "unlimited data" plan (with its 3GB cap).
$30 for unlimited messaging (we go through thousands).
$10 for daughter's "dumbphone."
$10 for wife's "dumbphone."

$150 for just *me* to have an iPhone, no tethering, and my wife and daughter limited to their basic phones.

With this new plan (if AT&T styles it like Verizon's), for another $40, we could get a 4GB shared plan, iPhones for for both my wife and daughter, and tethering enabled for all of our devices.
It's still a bad price, but better than dealing with terrible $20 plans for them and/or paying another $20 on top to get tethering on one device.

Uh, the new plan if you are just sharing with two people would be 150 dollars for you and you'd only get a 1 GB of data. THat is if your wife and your kid get dumbphones (30 each, so 60 dollars), you get a smartphone (40 dollars), and you get the smallest plan (50 dollars). And you already said you don't even use the 700 minutes you guys have so the unlimited calling wouldn't really be an extra for you.

How in the world is that a better deal for you?

Oh, and by the way, that 40 dollars extra you say you'd pay (you would get 8 GB more if yu don't add another device)? Within a year you'd pay 480 dollars extra. Two years 960 extra... so depending on what plan you went with if you just bought your own smartphone, it could easily be cheaper just to buy your own smartphone long as the plan you got by doing that wasn't more expensive than the one you have now, even a little more could be worth it (That is if you had an unlimited you could get them to grandfather in).

afurry13
Jun 12, 2012, 09:37 AM
10GB is not enough for the max. Should be a 20 or 30gb option.

nrose101
Jun 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
Time For AT&T to step up to the plate!

AbSoluTc
Jun 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
10GB is not enough for the max. Should be a 20 or 30gb option.

Well, at this pricing scheme - it would be $200 for 20 gig and $300 for 30 gig. Lol.

verizoniphone4
Jun 12, 2012, 09:40 AM
Seriously, why is the prospect of "Unlimited minutes" even a selling point anymore? Unlimited minutes was relevant 10 years ago. Not so much these days.

They also threw in mobile hotspot(may use this 1-2 times with the iPad) which half the people on VZ with family plans will probably never use(the average suburban family who will go out and just buy the iPad from VZ and add to the plan). I currently have the 1400 minutes plan with 4 iPhones(one added last week) which is about $230. I would want at least the 4gb plan(we use about 3 GB of data each month total). That would cost me $70 + $160=$130. Not acceptable. I won't bother telling VZ about their ripoff plan becaus they will say "Your current plan only includes 1400 minutes and no mobile hotspot." which is BS because what about my currently combined 4gb + 1 unlmtd. line of data.

sclawis300
Jun 12, 2012, 09:40 AM
I wonder if I can just activate data on my iPad and tether my phone to it? Stupid solution to a problem that shouldn't exist, but I'd be saving $30/month.

Pretty sure it doesn't work like that. You activate the phone on the plan, it is registered as a smart phone and you pay $40 for it. How are you going to make calls if you don't add the phone to the plan?

Bryanw3535
Jun 12, 2012, 09:41 AM
Please forgive my ignorance...

Right now my Verizon iPad's data is not connected to my Verizon wireless (iPhone) account.

The two don't speak to each other at all, because I signed up for data right on my LTE iPad.

Does this mean I can connect the two accounts under this new plan? So will I just sign in to my main Verizon wireless account (the one that already has the iPhone) and it will start pulling from that data pool?

That's one bonus. I have the smallest account on my iPad and haven't met the cap yet, so it would be nice...

Thanks.

tigress666
Jun 12, 2012, 09:42 AM

Why? Verizon hasn't given them any reason with this plan that they need to do anything. Already they offer a far better deal with just the plans they have than this crap.

I don't see how this is competitive at all on Verizon's end. In fact I have to agree with some one else on here it looks more like they are trying to set up to get people used to paying higher prices (I would not be surprised if they do a large price hike on their non shared plans).

Outlaw-D
Jun 12, 2012, 09:43 AM
I don't need unlimited voice! Quit justifying what *YOU* think I need versus what I need/actually use. Screw these carriers and their scams. They make it look like a better deal but most of us are spending the same amount of $ or MORE for the same service -- but hey, now we can talk "unlimited." Who gives a ****

charlituna
Jun 12, 2012, 09:47 AM

Agreed, $20 for a phone seems mo like it. Or just a flat $10 a device

unlimitedx
Jun 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
These prices are terrible :(

Small White Car
Jun 12, 2012, 09:49 AM
Would cost me...

$100 for the plan
$40 iphone 1
$40 iphone 2
$40 iphone 3
$40 iphone 4

$260 a month for sharing 10 gig?

Right now I pay $215 a month, have "unlimited" data for one iphone and the 5gig data/hotspot on another and 2 dumb phones. Unlimited txt, calling and all that jazz. Yeah, no. Way to find even more ways to rip us off. I'm with AT&T and they better think twice before they pull this ****.

That's really not fair. You're comparing your current 2-iPhone plan with a 4-iPhone plan?

And it'll cost $45 extra for that?

The Verizon plan isn't great, but charging $45 to change two dumb phone to two iPhones isn't exactly a huge 'rip off.' Pricey, but not rip off territory.

paradox00
Jun 12, 2012, 09:49 AM
Why is a laptop connection more expensive than a tablet? Because it uses more data? Even though there's a cap? I understand the phone being more expensive because it can use their voice network, but even then they made a smartphone more expensive than a feature phone. Again, the only difference is the data used and that's charged separately.

$90 for a smartphone plan with a GB of data? Give me a break. Terrible deal.

Unlying
Jun 12, 2012, 09:50 AM
This is the fallout for iMessage. Carriers are going to find a way to make up the BILLIONS they are losing from text apps that circumvent their charges. Until something happens to shake up the industry we are going to be forced into things like this.

obiegrad
I noticed this in the FAQ page from Verizon:

You're not required to move to Share Everything but if you do, unlimited data will not be retained on your line. As a Verizon Wireless customer you have choices when you upgrade at discounted pricing. You can choose from a standalone data package starting at $30 for 2GB or a Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited is important to you, you can choose to upgrade and pay full retail price for the phone.

So it sounds like they may not be forcing current customers to adopt this new scheme, however they are cutting off unlimited data.

This has the full info:

http://solutions.vzwshop.com/shareeverything/pdf/verizon_share_everything_plan_details.pdf

Overages are $15 per GB
Activation/Upgrade fee is $35
$175 ETF for dumb phones / $350 for Smartphones

They also have a plan for non smartphones $40 a month for $700 minutes, $70 month for unlimited minutes.

$1.99 per MB for data on dumb phones with no plans....

To answer an earlier question if more than 10GB are needed it's $10 for each additional 2GB.

charlituna
Minutes? Giving people more minutes is an attraction?

I'm sure some people need them, but personally I use maybe 40 minutes a month, the rest of my iPhone/iPad usage is data and text messages. My kids the same way; 15,000 text messages and 50 talk minutes per month...

But how much are you paying for that. If this is less then what's the issue

Patriot24
I'm not sure what's up with all of the hate. It probably really depends on your current setup as to whether this is a good deal or not to you.

My Current Plan:

iPhone @ 2GB $30.00, $9.99 Line Access
iPad @ 2GB $30
Family Share Voice 1400 min (+unlimited text) @ $100

Total: $209.98 (before fees)

New Plan:

iPhone @ $40 Line Access
iPhone @ $40 Line Access
iPad @ $10 Line Access
Shared Data @ 6GB $80
Unlimited Shared Voice and Text @ $0

Total: $170.00 (before fees)

I'll save ~$40 per month for the same level or better of voice, text, and data. And on top of it, will have more flexibility about how said data is spent. Not too bad?

sclawis300
Jun 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
so for a family of 4 with 2 smart phones and 2 basic phones I pay $222 after tax and my two smart phones have unlimited data. I will only get to split 6GB between the 4 lines for that price. This is going to suck big time.

QCassidy352
Jun 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
Horrible pricing. But why would we expect anything else from these greedy telecoms at this point.

Nabooly
Jun 12, 2012, 09:52 AM
Current plans are cheaper for us with 4 lines. WE currently pay $141.xx.

We would pay 180 with these plans. :rolleyes: Lame. The hilarity comes from the 1Gb for $50!!! WHAT THE....????? $30 for a feature phone that would use a maximum of 50mb??? Complete BS.

ECUpirate44
Jun 12, 2012, 09:52 AM
Are these going to be the prices for the 4G iPhone when it comes out in the fall?

CrazyMutha29
Jun 12, 2012, 09:53 AM

You're not required to move to Share Everything but if you do, unlimited data will not be retained on your line. As a Verizon Wireless customer you have choices when you upgrade at discounted pricing. You can choose from a standalone data package starting at $30 for 2GB or a Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited is important to you, you can choose to upgrade and pay full retail price for the phone.

So it sounds like they may not be forcing current customers to adopt this new scheme, however they are cutting off unlimited data.

This has the full info:

http://solutions.vzwshop.com/shareeverything/pdf/verizon_share_everything_plan_details.pdf

Overages are $15 per GB

They also have a plan for non smartphones $40 a month for $700 minutes, $70 month for unlimited minutes.

To answer an earlier question if more than 10GB are needed it's $10 for each additional 2GB.

I love that it's $10 for 2 GB if you purchase it up front, but if you're on a lower plan and go over on data, they'll hit you $15 per GB!! Not only does the plan itself suck, but they can't even charge a fair rate for overage.............

akkkmed
Jun 12, 2012, 09:55 AM
Awful.

Current: 5 smartphones, unlimited data, unlimited messaging, 1400 minutes (way too many.) $205 WITH fees, after corporate discount.

New plan: 5 smartphones, 6GB data. $224 BEFORE fees, after corporate discount. (Or $240 for 10GB.)

So we would pay MORE to get less data and more minutes, which we don't need.... Horrible move, Verizon.

QCassidy352
Jun 12, 2012, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure what's up with all of the hate. It probably really depends on your current setup as to whether this is a good deal or not to you.

My Current Plan:

iPad @ 2GB $30
Family Share Voice 1400 min (+unlimited text) @ $100

Total: $209.98 (before fees)

New Plan:

iPhone @ $40 Line Access
iPhone @ $40 Line Access
iPad @ $10 Line Access
Shared Data @ 6GB $80
Unlimited Shared Voice and Text @ $0

Total: $170.00 (before fees)

I'll save ~$40 per month for the same level or better of voice, text, and data. And on top of it, will have more flexibility about how said data is spent. Not too bad?

There's no $9.99 fee on the first phone line, is there (not on AT&T anyway)? But still, your point is a good one. I guess these plans could work for some who are already paying a lot. But most ppl don't need or have 1400 minutes for two lines. I think my family has that much for 4 lines, and only because AT&T doesn't allow lower with that many phone lines. We don't use nearly that many minutes.

NAG
Jun 12, 2012, 09:56 AM
Are these going to be the prices for the 4G iPhone when it comes out in the fall?

If you upgrade your phone with subsidy on Verizon or join Verizon new this is the plan. AT&T is likely to be the same considering they do plan changes within weeks of each other (because they're pricing fixing jerks).

I would seriously suggest looking at prepaid. You pay more up front but save hundreds over the course of two years.

PNutts
Jun 12, 2012, 09:58 AM
It's such a radical increase, and forcing us off our grandfathered plans to get us over to these new plans is bs!

It has been discussed (and described on Verizon's site) that you will not be forced to one of the new plans.

Waxhead138
Jun 12, 2012, 09:59 AM
Still expensive unless unlimited minutes is what you want.

Huge Point Here: I worked for VZW for almost seven years....and while I'm not exactly surprised of the strategy behind this....I'm quite surprised that it seems as though the choices are unlimited minutes or nothing. Even when the unlimited minute plans debuted, the option remained (and still does currently) to opt for buckets of minutes.

Also....not to mention...I have my parents, who are both near 70, who only use a phone as a phone. I understand blanket pricing...but damn, 30.00 a month for basic, not even-remotely-smart-phone service? Thats flat out ridiculous. I understand the future of cell phone pricing will be ugly...but its got to be more flexible than this, or most of us, out of sheer principle alone, will end up on prepaid service. (Which Btw was been working out pretty well for many Europeans for many years.)

Edit: Didn't check out VZW's FAQ yet. I stand semi corrected. But damn people better use a ton of minutes to justify switching to the new plans.

obiegrad
Jun 12, 2012, 09:59 AM
If you upgrade your phone with subsidy on Verizon or join Verizon new this is the plan. AT&T is likely to be the same considering they do plan changes within weeks of each other (because they're pricing fixing jerks).

I would seriously suggest looking at prepaid. You pay more up front but save hundreds over the course of two years.

I'm not sure that's true, based on this:

If you already have Verizon and upgrade you can get a 2GB plan (I'd presume under the old pricing structure), but you cannot keep unlimited data.

Patriot24
Jun 12, 2012, 10:01 AM
There's no $9.99 fee on the first phone line, is there (not on AT&T anyway)? But still, your point is a good one. I guess these plans could work for some who are already paying a lot. But most ppl don't need or have 1400 minutes for two lines. I think my family has that much for 4 lines, and only because AT&T doesn't allow lower with that many phone lines. We don't use nearly that many minutes.

My current bill shows that I have the $9.99 Line Access on both.

The only reason I have the 1400 minutes package is because my wife likes to call her family a lot. We certainly don't need 1400, but the 700 minute plan is cutting it too close. When you jump up to the 1400 min plan, then you can add 10 family/friends numbers that you can call for free. It is basically a chicken or the egg situation (700 too small, don't need 1400, but the free family deal is nice).

I think for many families like myself, this could work out well, or at the very least pay about the same thing for the same level of service. The upside would be flexibility in where you spend your allotted data.

For people with unlimited data today, I understand where they're coming from not liking this plan, but they're going to have to understand that unlimited data is a thing of the past. Next time you get a new phone, they're going to yank it right away from you if not sooner.

doubletap
Jun 12, 2012, 10:02 AM
Right now I pay $220 (before taxes and fees) per month for 1400 minutes, 250 messages for each of our 2 iPhones with unlimited data, and 2 iPads each with 3GB of data.

Moving to the new shared plan, the price before taxes would drop to $200. $40 per iPhone and $10 per iPad = $100 plus the $100 for 10GB of data (perhaps even could get away with going with less data.

Of course we'd be losing the unlimited data but it seems we're not heavy data users as it's rare that we go above 1GB any given month on the iPhones and probably not even 100MB on the iPads.

Now, if hotspot is included, then potentially we could drop the iPad access fees altogether and just tether them to the iPhones saving an additional $20 each month.

dt

techiegirl
Jun 12, 2012, 10:04 AM
Current Plan:
Line 1: $60 + $30 = $90 (unlimited)
Line 2: $10 + $30 = $40 (unlimited)
Line 3: $10 + $30 = $40 (unlimited)
Line 4: $10 + $30 = $40 (limited)

Total: $210

Shared Plan:

Lines: $40 x 4 = $160
10 gig data: $100

Total: $260

It would cost me $50 more for our family plan and we would be giving up 3 unlimited datas.

Leonard1818
Jun 12, 2012, 10:05 AM
So what I read is that the upgrade on my account that I am eligible for should be done RIGHT NOW instead of waiting for the new iPhone. Does this make sense?

My line is eligible for an upgrade right now. I was sitting on it until the launch of the new iPhone. But it'd really be in my best interest to go to verizon tomorrow, use my upgrade (and re-sign for another 2 years) and get subsidized. At least that way I will have a subsidized phone to sell when I have to buy the next iPhone outright to maintain my unlimited data.

I currently pay $151.56/mo. This includes:

-- Account Charges ($90 -$20 corp. disc.) = $60.20
-- My Line ($10 + $30 data - $6.60 corp. disc. + fees) = $38.82
-- Wifes line ($10 + $30 data + $7 insurance + fees) = $52.54

This is for
+700 minutes (shared)
+unlimited text
+unlimited data.

If you move us to the new plan we're looking at the following:

-- My Line ($40)
-- Wifes Line ($40)
-- 4GB data ($70)

For a grand total of: $150 + fees or $141.20 + fees if they give me the corp disc. on my $40 device charge.

This is for
+Unlimited minutes
+Unlimited text
+2GB data each
+enabled moblie hotspot(?)

So i'm basically losing unlimited data but gaining unlimited minutes (which we never even use half or our 700 minutes). BUT they'll subsidize my phone price.

IMO there are still a couple of big variables for me to jump.

1. If you go over your data amount, what's the charge (i.e. $10/gb)?
2. If we choose to keep our current plan will they start capping data like other carriers?

Either way, I need to decide soon cause I'm sitting on an upgrade that could potentially be worthless in two weeks if I decide it's better to just buy outright from now on. If that *is* the best scenario, I might as well use my upgrade before these changes take effect and let them subsidize a new 4S that I can turn around and sell when the 5 comes out....

ugh.

tigress666
Jun 12, 2012, 10:06 AM
For people with unlimited data today, I understand where they're coming from not liking this plan, but they're going to have to understand that unlimited data is a thing of the past. Next time you get a new phone, they're going to yank it right away from you if not sooner.

Even AT&T's limited data plans are more fair than this. This isn't if you have unlimited data, this is if you use a decent chunk of data (like even 2 GB) and you don't use the phone that much this SUCKS (For me and my roommate we have the smallest plan and usually get rollover minutes cause not only do we not use the phone much, most of the people we call are on AT&T so they don't cost us minutes to call... that is something to consider when getting a phone if you call a lot, is a majority of the people you call on one network that you wouldn't be charged the minutes to call).

The only way I could see this being a good plan is for some one who doesn't use data that much at all (1 GB shared amongst even 2 people is a small amount if you use your smartphone much at all) and calls a lot.

zorinlynx
What's sad about this is that it's actually a GOOD IDEA, but the prices are too high and the data caps too low. They've turned something potentially awesome into just another ridiculous ripoff.

It doesn't make sense. With all the competition we have now, prices should be going DOWN, not up. It's obvious these companies are colluding; why doesn't the government do something about this?

RedCroissant
Still too expensive. It would be great if the contract you signed simply included your phone or device, but having to pay a nominal fee per device just to use these new family plans makes it seem more like you're renting it as opposed to benefitting from it.

AT&T will probably end up doing something similar as well and will most likely have prices just as high. All of this competition between carriers has not decreased cost so much as it has successfully established how much they can charge people and effectively setting their prices higher and higher wulie getting rid of more reasonable options.

I can't tell you how many times AT&T reps have suggested I get rid of my now obsolete 2GB plan that I pay $25 in favor of the 300MB plan that will cost me $20.

T-Mobile and Edge data speeds are looking better and better every day.

Waxhead138
Jun 12, 2012, 10:07 AM

This has the full info:

Overages are $15 per GB

Didn't Fran Shammo from VZW not more than a few weeks ago, posted by MR, come out and say that if one had unlimited 4G going into an upgrade that it would be grandfathered in? This seems to contradict
that.

Edit: Nevermind. My memory is a complete fail today. Guess it was wishful thinking.

Mundty
Jun 12, 2012, 10:08 AM
Yea, no.

Seriously, if anyone on Verizon gets forced out of the Unlimited Data plans either via contract renewal or jacked up subsidized pricing. I highly recommend you switch to Sprint and vote with your wallets. They will get the message, but it requires you guys to actually do something about it.

obiegrad
Jun 12, 2012, 10:10 AM
If you go over your data amount, what's the charge (i.e. $10/gb)?

$15 a month per gb

If we choose to keep our current plan will they start capping data like other carriers?

They don't currently cap but they "optimize" their network by slowing down unlimited users over 2GB (I think) if the network is jammed.

Le Big Mac
Jun 12, 2012, 10:10 AM
I'm on day 19 of my billing cycle.
I've used 18 minutes of voice time.
I have SMS blocked completely.

How exactly is this supposed to sound appealing to me?

Yeah, it only offers possibly attractive value if you already want unlimited voice and texts. For anyone who doesn't (like you and me) you're "paying" for something you don't need or, put differently, you're paying a heck of a lot more for data.

davidg4781
Jun 12, 2012, 10:11 AM
Jetpacks??

unlimitedx
What's sad about this is that it's actually a GOOD IDEA, but the prices are too high and the data caps too low. They've turned something potentially awesome into just another ridiculous ripoff.

It doesn't make sense. With all the competition we have now, prices should be going DOWN, not up. It's obvious these companies are colluding; why doesn't the government do something about this?

Agree 100%. Good idea, bad pricing

techiegirl
Yeah, it only offers possibly attractive value if you already want unlimited voice and texts. For anyone who doesn't (like you and me) you're "paying" for something you don't need or, put differently, you're paying a heck of a lot more for data.

Unless you're using your phone for business, who needs unlimited voice anymore?

sclawis300
Jun 12, 2012, 10:13 AM
It has been discussed (and described on Verizon's site) that you will not be forced to one of the new plans.

Sure, if you want to pay full price. I don't want to pay full price, do you?

Leonard1818
Jun 12, 2012, 10:13 AM
Another figure to be considered is the phone subsidation.

I believe verizon does 22 month contracts and I believe for our beloved iPhone, they subsidize around $400.

So, $400/22mo. is about $18.18 per month that you'd be "saving" by switching to the shared plan (and not having to buy your own new phone).

sclawis300
Jun 12, 2012, 10:15 AM
$15 a month per gb

They don't currently cap but they "optimize" their network by slowing down unlimited users over 2GB (I think) if the network is jammed.

I think I read somewhere that it is based on tower usage and not just a blanket thing. Can someone else confirm this?

Axne1
Jun 12, 2012, 10:16 AM
Boo Verizon! This is why I'm happy the iPhone is moving to pre paid. Total rip off. Who needs unlimited minutes with VoIP working great over wifi, and wifi is everywhere. Bad move Verizon ;!

sclawis300
Jun 12, 2012, 10:17 AM
The only way I could see this being a good plan is for some one who doesn't use data that much at all (1 GB shared amongst even 2 people is a small amount if you use your smartphone much at all) and calls a lot.

you mean my parents?

aaarrrgggh
Jun 12, 2012, 10:18 AM
Tablets are $10 because they don't use voice minutes. Other plans are more to cover voice. The economy comes for users like me with two iPhones and two iPads. Combined we have 4.5 GB on independent plans, but we could drop to 2GB in this scenario. If overages on data are just charged at the higher tier, then months we are on the road more it is nice and easy.

That said, the data rates are way too high given the base charges. 1GB should be closer to $10 to offer value compared to ATTs family plans.

aneftp
Jun 12, 2012, 10:19 AM

Most people with ATT rollover do not need unlimited data. ATT gives you any mobile and if you talk to retentions they will give you 10 home lines you can call for free also.

I have 4 lines with ATT (3 unlimited data) plus unlimited text 700 minute voice plan with any mobile and 10 A-list I can call.. 1 feature phone. My total (including taxes) with 24% discount is $175 every month.

That's taxes included.

So if you call landlines a lot, than Verizon may be a better deal. But rollover with ATT helps 99% of people these days unless you run a business.

Le Big Mac
Jun 12, 2012, 10:21 AM

When I read that this is the image that pops into my head:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iYP0zCXGvzQ/TskX0Ii5ZRI/AAAAAAAAC-Q/Ep_torNCIrQ/s1600/pigs-bmp-for-web.jpg

ohio.emt
Jun 12, 2012, 10:22 AM
Lol, WTF hope AT&T does a better job with this. I would lose unlimited data on my iPhone and iPad and still pay more.

diane143
Jun 12, 2012, 10:23 AM
Part of me knew this was a possibility, but I was hoping with shared data they would just drop the whole minutes and text scam and just come out and charge sustainable rates for data. At the moment they're basically pricing their data at $10. When everything is data in the future and people can switch to wifi for a lot of stuff, will that be able to sustain them?

I was honestly just hoping for a reasonable way to share data between the phone and iPad. I don't even use 1GB a month as it is. :(

rumplestiltskin
Jun 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
StraightTalk = $50 per month (including taxes) for my iPhone. Only thing not enabled is MMS so I eMail the photos). If you jailbreak the phone there's a way of enabling MMS but the service is fine (using AT&T's network).

Of course, I don't pig out with multiple GBs of data so you data hogs may not like this.

lordofthereef
Jun 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
Why is it $40 for a smartphone and only $10 for a tablet? I'd expect the tablet to use more data.

Oh, right. Because they can. Everyone needs data on their smartphone, not everyone needs data on their tablet. Especially since tethering is included.

I would actually venture to guess that this is because they will still be subsidizing the cost of smartphones, whereas they do not (and likely still will not) do so with tablets.

Xenomorph
Jun 12, 2012, 10:25 AM
Uh, the new plan if you are just sharing with two people would be 150 dollars for you and you'd only get a 1 GB of data. THat is if your wife and your kid get dumbphones (30 each, so 60 dollars), you get a smartphone (40 dollars), and you get the smallest plan (50 dollars). And you already said you don't even use the 700 minutes you guys have so the unlimited calling wouldn't really be an extra for you.

How in the world is that a better deal for you?

Oh, and by the way, that 40 dollars extra you say you'd pay (you would get 8 GB more if yu don't add another device)? Within a year you'd pay 480 dollars extra. Two years 960 extra... so depending on what plan you went with if you just bought your own smartphone, it could easily be cheaper just to buy your own smartphone long as the plan you got by doing that wasn't more expensive than the one you have now, even a little more could be worth it (That is if you had an unlimited you could get them to grandfather in).

My wife and daughter have been wanting iPhones for a long time.

Old plan: $150 for 3GB for one device, iPhone for one user, no tethering. It would be $40 more to give them each an iPhone with a terrible 300 MB cap. $60 more to get them phones with a 3GB cap. Add another $20 (each) on top to enable tethering (without having to jailbreak). I could end up spending $270 to get us all iPhones with tethering and decent caps!

New plan: $190 for 4GB we can ALL use, iPhone for ALL of us, and tethering for ALL of us - so we can get all of our tablets and other devices online when we travel.

That's still a $40 increase over our existing $150 plan, but we'd get so much more than before.

GQB
Jun 12, 2012, 10:26 AM
We have a family of 3 and have the minimum minutes for family under at&t... 550 minutes.
Between the 3 of us, including a 15-year-old girl, we use less than 50 minutes/month.
If I could start from scratch, I'd seriously consider a cheapo pre-paid voice-only phones (i.e. sub dumb-phone) and have a 4G iPad for each of us with a 2-gig plan each... actually my wife could get by the 256M plan.

SmittS
Jun 12, 2012, 10:27 AM
People, please stop comparing these plans to your current unlimited plans. If you need unlimited data, hold on to your grandfathered plans. If you compare these plans to current data-capped plans and have multiple devices, this seems like a good plan to me.

My current plan is:
ATT
1400 minutes - $80
Family messaging - $30
Line 1 - Unlimited data - $30
Line 2 - $9.99 plus $25 for 2 GB
$175 bucks. I've avoided an iPad because I don't want to pay $30 for 3 gigs I may or may not use (plus AT&T doesn't have LTE where I live)

VZ shared plan
6 gigs - $80
iPhone 1 - $40
iPhone 2 - $40
Unlimited voice and messaging
$160. Tethering is INCLUDED so I can tether my Wifi ipad without the need for jailbreaking/getting caught or paying extra. With my usage, I highly doubt I will need all 6 gigs (my wife doesn't near approach her 2 ever).
If I ever wanted to get a cellular iPad, then it's only $10 more!

When LTE iPhone comes out, I may switch.

Le Big Mac
Jun 12, 2012, 10:37 AM
I love that it's $10 for 2 GB if you purchase it up front, but if you're on a lower plan and go over on data, they'll hit you $15 per GB!! Not only does the plan itself suck, but they can't even charge a fair rate for overage.............

They have to do that if they want to retain their current structure of paying for a big bucket that you may not use (and they count on most people using it). If it were the same price for extra data (or less) everyone would take the small plan.

I realize that's basically the prepaid model, and that has a lot of merit. But that's a different model that they're not using for this.

chiefsilverback
Jun 12, 2012, 10:40 AM
I guess what's missing from people's replies is their actual data usage.

Right now on ATT we have 2 iPhones and 2 iPads with a combined data allowance of 11GB. We have the basic family plan as we barely make phone calls so we're sitting pretty around $180/month.

Under the Verizon plan we would be at $200/month and actually be 1GB down but in reality we don't use anywhere near 11GB/month (5GB is probably more realistic) but due to the current options you're forced to buy far more data that you actually need!

I could do 2 phones and 2 tablets with 6GB data shared on Verizon for $180/month. Alternatively I could drop the 2 iPads and let them access the web via iPhone hotspots and save $20/month...

All that said with this plan Verizon are ultimately looking to charge more for less even though for most users the 'less' is still more than enough!

groupersandwich
Jun 12, 2012, 10:41 AM
OK, I just spoke with a VZW rep regarding the corporate discounts. According to this person (grain of salt disclaimer) the corporate discounts will apply to the access charges ONLY and not the data plan. But I was told it would apply to all lines and not just the primary. If this is the case then this new plan will actually save me about $20/month as we are not heavy data users.

mlmwalt
Jun 12, 2012, 10:42 AM
The major problem with 10gb data for one smart phone is that it'll take 40 days to use up that data allotment at 3g speeds... :rolleyes:

cadillac1234
Jun 12, 2012, 10:43 AM
Apple, MS and Google need to have a serious conversation with Verizon and AT&T.

This type of crap is making me think twice about purchasing a new smart phone ever again. The benefit of having one is not going to be worth the price of admission

richard4339
Jun 12, 2012, 10:45 AM
So, the Monthly Account Access is the base price, then the charge per device is the monthly line access?

So, for 1gb, $50, period.
Then $40 for each smartphone?

We currently have 4 phones (3 smartphones) sharing 1400 minutes. Two have texting, two have unlimited data, one has 200mb.

For the EXACT SAME PRICE we're paying now, we would get texting added to all lines, we already have more minutes than we need, and our shared data would drop to 1gb.

No thanks. This is WAY too expensive to be desirable for me.

tigress666
Jun 12, 2012, 10:45 AM
So are these the only plans verizon is going to offer now? Because if so the only reason to go to Verizon is if you mostly just call an you barely use your smartphone for the "smart" part or just have a dumb phone.

yukycg
Jun 12, 2012, 10:47 AM
Not impress with the pricing. With the facetime over celluar, Verizon plan is nothing but rip off!!!

I am predicting ATT will most likely be a ripoff too!!! (ATT please prove me wrong)

bstr
Jun 12, 2012, 10:48 AM
I'm currently paying $198/month ($175 plus taxes and fees) for two iPhones (unlimited, we use ~1.5 gb combined) and dumb phone with a family share 1000 minutes (we use about 200/month) 1000 texts on the iPhones and unlimited texting on the dumb phone. This new plan would cost us $110 for access and $60 for the data/voice/text package, or $170. So we'd actually save about $5/month. I've promised my daughter she could have my iphone this fall when I upgrade so that would've been an additional $30 for 2gb of data, or $205 plus fees per month. On the new plan it will be an additional $10 for the iphone and we'd probably go to the 6gb plan, so another $20 for a grand total of $200/month before fees. We would still be saving $5/month. The key for me is going to be how corporate discounts are applied. If they are applied to the access fee AND the data package then I'm going to be doing pretty good.

...doing pretty good as long as your data usage remains constant and you keep an eye on it.

cadillac1234
Jun 12, 2012, 10:52 AM
Not impress with the pricing. With the facetime over celluar, Verizon plan is nothing but rip off!!!

I am predicting ATT will most likely be a ripoff too!!! (ATT please prove me wrong)

It will be within $5 of Verizon with the difference being a GB more or less data at one of the upper tiers.

tshort
Jun 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
I currently have 5 users on AT&T:
700 Minutes shared: $60
Unlimited Texting: $30
2x iPhones w/ 2GB data $10 + ($30 x 2) = $70
2x iPhones w/ 200MB data: ($10 + $15) x 2 = $50
1x "dumb" phone with unlimited data: $10 + $10 = $20
Total: $230 + ~$20 taxes/fees ~ $250

Under this plan:

4x smart phones: $160
1x dumb phone: $30
4GB data: $70
Total: $260 + taxes/fees

Even with minimal data, this is not a savings!
:mad:

dokujaryu
Jun 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
Most people with ATT rollover do not need unlimited data. ATT gives you any mobile and if you talk to retentions they will give you 10 home lines you can call for free also.

I have 4 lines with ATT (3 unlimited data) plus unlimited text 700 minute voice plan with any mobile and 10 A-list I can call.. 1 feature phone. My total (including taxes) with 24% discount is $175 every month.

That's taxes included.

So if you call landlines a lot, than Verizon may be a better deal. But rollover with ATT helps 99% of people these days unless you run a business.

I have a discount for Verizon or AT&T at work, neither of which I have used yet. I just haven't decided which one I want to stay with.

I agree on the dubious unlimited talk benefit. I have about 3000 rollover minutes that I haven't used. Even with work, the company gave me a blackberry on Verizon so I didn't have to use my minutes. Still, to have the feature of unlimited minutes, you'd pay more on AT&T. And if I had unlimited minutes on my own phone, I wouldn't have to dual wield.

The big savings for me is being able to get my iPad on the same plan with a huuuuge amount of data. Given my current data usage, which is about 250 - 350MB per month on our two iPhones, if I had the 8 or 10GB plan with my iPad added for $10, that gives me plenty of data to use it as my primary mobile web/music/data device. It also opens the door for multiple Verizon data iPads without massive expense.

Just giving my Verizon iPad 10GB of data is $80 a month. So, with the 8GB plan I'd pay about what I'm paying now, but my iPad would have approximately 7.5GB of data per month. There's also the free tethering for my phone to consider as well.

I think for people with Verizon LTE iPads this plan makes great sense as its just $10 to get a reasonable amount of data for phone and iPad shared.

Maybe I'm a special case? I feel like I should always have LTE available with my iPad and I just can't justify the expense of a secondary data plan.

Rocko1
Jun 12, 2012, 11:05 AM
Doesn't seem much better. Family plan now is $119 for two devices plus $10 each line and $30 for 2gb.

JAT
Jun 12, 2012, 11:08 AM
It's worse than I expected. My current 5 phone plan is $180/month, before discount. Includes one unlimited data and unlimited texts. This new mess would be $160/month without data. And at this point I'd probably need to get the 6GB plan. Charging this much for unlimited calls is just worthless. They must believe we're all idiots. Probably way too many people are.

bstr
Jun 12, 2012, 11:14 AM
I have a $70 (1400 min) plan with 3 smart phones, 2 dumb phones

Unlimited data on the phones: $30 x 3 = $90
2 dumb phones $10 x 2 = $20
2 smart phone add-a-line $10 x 2 = $20

Total cost: $200 (corp discount and taxes are a wash)

With new Share Everything, I essentially lose unlimited data for an increased cost of about $60. I do gain texting on the dumb phones, but not necessary. Smart phones get it free with Google voice already.

Smartphone access fee $40 x 3 = $120
Dumb phone access fee $30 x 2 = $60
6GB data shared $80

Total cost: $260

No thanks.... and when my contract expires in Dec 2013, I'd say there's a 75% chance I'll switch to Tmobile or Virgin Mobile.

Unspeaked
Jun 12, 2012, 11:15 AM
I can't believe some of the prices being mentioned around here.

I'm on T-Mobile and have two phones sharing 1,000 minutes, unlimited texts and 10GB of data (technically unlimited but throttled after 10GB) for $90/month. Excellent customer service, no contract and good coverage (in my area).

How can anyone give their money to AT&T or Verizon??

Huracan
Jun 12, 2012, 11:16 AM
Looks to me this is a pretty bad and expensive plan, except for people who were already paying very expensive full coverage plans. I am not with Verizon, but if I were to change my current plan to their structure I would have to pay a lot, lot more, for not any significant improvement in day to day use.

By the way, texting plans have always been a complete rip-off, and voice (when you look at it as another form of data) is becoming a smaller part of mobile data traffic.

These plans seem like an attempt to squeeze the last drops of voice and texting while milking the data cow good. Definitely this plan doesn't seem customer friendly, it is designed to increase Verizon's revenue.

AustinIllini
Jun 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
I'm on T-Mobile and have two phones sharing 1,000 minutes, unlimited texts and 10GB of data (technically unlimited but throttled after 10GB) for $90/month. Excellent customer service, no contract and good coverage (in my area).

We want to be ready for the LTE iPhone, which T-mobile won't be ready for when the iPhone LTE is released. Like it or not, big red and mama bell are going to have the best LTE networks for the foreseeable future. If you can live without it, fine, but that's why we give the big guns money.

drober30
Jun 12, 2012, 11:21 AM
These prices are a huge increase!

My wife, daughter and I would pay $40x3 = 120 just for our iPhones, then $60 for 2GB of data which equals = $180

Right now with AT&T our bill is $140 and the wife and I have unlimited data, my daughter only has 200MB but that's OK, she is only twelve and even under our shared minutes of 700, we have plenty to go around with free weekends and mobile to mobile.

Wireless carriers need to innovate and figure out a way to provide data much cheaper. They will make plenty of money by having people sign up that otherwise would not.

Just like Apple updates their iOS for free and Mountain Lion will be $19.99 for all devices, there are ways to offer value and make $$$$

baummer
Jun 12, 2012, 11:23 AM
I wonder if Sprint will file a lawsuit against Verizon for using "Everything" in their plan's name, seeing as how Sprint has the "Simply Everything" plans.

globality
Jun 12, 2012, 11:26 AM

Believe me, T-Mobile will increase their price when they get the new iPhone

bstr
Jun 12, 2012, 11:26 AM

I did because I've been paying $52/mo for each smartphone on Verizon for unlimited data and subsidized phone pricing.

diane143
Jun 12, 2012, 11:27 AM

Coverage. I just looked at their map. It's like AT&T 10 years ago (in my area anyway)

baummer
Jun 12, 2012, 11:29 AM
Coverage. I just looked at their map. It's like AT&T 10 years ago (in my area anyway)

True, Verizon's coverage is hard to beat. Not saying it's perfect everywhere in the US, but I've been in some remote areas with people who have AT&T, Sprint (myself included), and Verizon, and the only people who had cell coverage were those who had Verizon. I just can't stomach paying what they charge.

wordoflife
Jun 12, 2012, 11:34 AM
For me, I'd be paying about the same on this new plan compared to my current plan, but I'd be getting more stuff through this new plan.

However, I have AT&T right now and I really like the service that I'm getting.

diane143
Jun 12, 2012, 11:35 AM
True, Verizon's coverage is hard to beat. Not saying it's perfect everywhere in the US, but I've been in some remote areas with people who have AT&T, Sprint (myself included), and Verizon, and the only people who had cell coverage were those who had Verizon. I just can't stomach paying what they charge.

I live in the northeast so it's certainly not remote. But AT&T had some wicked bare patches back then, and I see the same with T-Mobile now. Plus all the dropped calls, the bad reception (turn phone off, turn back on and it's fine even though you never moved). I've eliminated all those issues since switching to Verizon in 2005, and watched people who went to the AT&T iPhone have them start up again. I know people on Sprint and they have bad coverage around here too. We can call one of the guys here in the building, and they'll walk up to us and their phone isn't even ringing.

I don't have many complaints about them since I've moved (AT&T customer service was horrible!) but wow, these plans take the cake!

Unspeaked
Jun 12, 2012, 11:35 AM
Believe me, T-Mobile will increase their price when they get the new iPhone

Did Sprint? I didn't think they did.

I haven't been to every city in the USA so can't say this from experience, but it seems that every time I look at one of those Consumer Reports style reviews of wireless carriers, they all have their strong spots and weak spots. There doesn't seem to be anyone that is perfect everywhere, or horrible everywhere. Though I'll admit Verizon seems to have the best network coverage in general.

SVTVenom
Jun 12, 2012, 11:37 AM
Like the article says, it's a better deal for people paying for minutes still and on a family plan. It's $10 cheaper than what I pay now, anyway. The pricing is still outrageous, though. $50 for 1 shared GB, but only $100 for 10GB? Why not $10 for 1GB, $40 for 4GB, etc? At least they wouldn't be insulting people's intelligence with that pricing scheme.

semitry

I recently switched from Sprint to Verizon. The difference isn't that much. Sprint use to be a hell of a deal but after adding premium data, nixing how discounts are applied and taking away yearly upgrade for the primary account holder, it's not worth it.

Sprint for 2 after a 27% discount was $136.
Verizon for 2 after an 18/20% discount is in the 140s.

rgravell
glad i just locked my contract in for two more years with unlimited data. looks like my iPhone purchases will be outright every year.

semitry
Jun 12, 2012, 11:39 AM
Did Sprint? I didn't think they did.

They have in how they do discounts and taking away the primary account holder yearly upgrades. Their network is trash, at least in my area so they should to pay for decent coverage.

Dahiana
Jun 12, 2012, 11:39 AM
$40 per device seems like a lot & sharing 2gbs of data in my family would be crazy. 2gbs per user is usually not enough for 2/5 of us but it's a cool new interesting concept. I like the $10 no contract deal for IPads.

nzmc36
Jun 12, 2012, 11:42 AM
Exactly! Why is the monthly plan more for a smartphone vs a regular phone? And why is there even a monthly charge for the tablet if all it uses is the data portion?

The only justification I can see here is to help subsidize the additional cost of the smart phone.

Still - a joke. Why should we be paying more here in the US than in the UK/Europe for basic service - I guess because they can.....

mentalward
Jun 12, 2012, 11:44 AM
OK, I just spoke with a VZW rep regarding the corporate discounts. According to this person (grain of salt disclaimer) the corporate discounts will apply to the access charges ONLY and not the data plan. But I was told it would apply to all lines and not just the primary. If this is the case then this new plan will actually save me about $20/month as we are not heavy data users.

I heard something similar regarding my workplace discount not covering the shared data plans, except that I was told that I could still only apply the discount to my device. In my case, my wife works the same place I do and is also entitled to a 22% discount through Verizon, but only one of us can use a discount per plan according to Verizon. Here’s how it works out for me:

Old Plan
$93.57 (119.96 -22%) 700min Family Plan w/ Unlimited TXT
$23.40 (30.00 -22%) iPhone 4 with unlimited data (use about 1.5GB-2GB /month)
$30.00 iPhone 4 w/ unlimited data (use about 500MB-1GB /month)
$9.99 Dumb phone (with data blocked)
$9.99 Dumb phone (with data blocked)
----------
$166.95 TOTAL/MONTH

New Plan
$70 4GB Shared data (discount no longer applies to shared plan)
$31.20 ($40 -22%) iPhone 4
$40 iPhone 4
$30 Dumb phone
$30 Dumb phone
----------
$201.20 TOTAL/MONTH

This new “value” plan would cost me $34 MORE a month! I don’t use unlimited minutes, or unlimited texting, or tethering, or whatever else this plan supposedly comes with. If I am forced to this structure when my contract expires late this year, I will look for another carrier. $200+ a month, considering my limited non-data needs, is an outrage.

inkswamp
Jun 12, 2012, 11:47 AM
The pricing shell game continues. These phone service providers got too comfy with screwing customers over and they're clearly going to hold on to that as long as they can. Instead of innovating or adapting to this next big thing in phones, they're going to keep doing the same-old-same-old and gradually lose control. Already most of my text messages go out as iMessages. I wonder what Apple's next move will be to chip away at their control? Whatever it is, it can't come soon enough.

Judas1
Jun 12, 2012, 11:48 AM
A price increase in the guise of a new feature. Go to hell Verison.

ritmomundo
Jun 12, 2012, 11:51 AM
So will these new "share plans" replace the currently offered plans? Or are they just an extra option to choose from?

Spectrum Abuser
Jun 12, 2012, 11:51 AM
The device charge is discriminating products. Charging $40 just to have one smartphone(even a low-end device) on the family plan is an absolute dump on the customer. On AT&T it's a $10 charge per 'line'[device] on the family plan. No matter what device you're adding everything uses a flat rate.

macUser2007
Jun 12, 2012, 11:54 AM
LOL!

So, that's $100 per month for a phone with 2GB of data. Pretty poor deal, IMO.

Verizon is expensive and it has a terrible customer service wherever they are a monopoly. Only suckers use it.

Astro7x
Jun 12, 2012, 11:55 AM
Right now with AT&T our bill is $140 and the wife and I have unlimited data, my daughter only has 200MB but that's OK, she is only twelve and even under our shared minutes of 700, we have plenty to go around with free weekends and mobile to mobile.

A 12 year old with a smart phone? I must be really out of touch with kids, because I'm 28 and don't even have a smartphone with a data plan because it's just too expensive. But that's just me, to each their own.

I don't really see who this shared data plan is designed for. A family of 10 that all have smart phones, but never actually use the data so they can all share a gigabyte?

jontech
Jun 12, 2012, 11:56 AM
This would save me money in the long run. I am paying 90 bucks a months anyways for 3 iPhones and would love to add my iPad onto the plan

Kim in NC
Jun 12, 2012, 12:00 PM
I think the savings is going to come from those families with iPads and other devices vs. those with just phones. We get a 20% from where DH works on his line. Right now we are paying around $220/month for phones (including hot spots for both iPhones) and $65 for data for two iPads. Under the new program we will be paying:

$32.00 for iPhone #1
$40.00 for iPhone #2
$30.00 for dummy phone
$10.00 for iPad #1
$10.00 for iPad #2
$100.00 for 10 gb of data
Total: $232 plus say $20 for taxes - $252 savings of at least $30/month for us

We both currently have unlimited data on the iPhones and neither of us use more than 1.5 gb as we are usually somewhere with free WiFi. We both use around 2gb of data on our iPads so we will have more data this way for less.

tasset
Jun 12, 2012, 12:02 PM
The device charge is discriminating products. Charging $40 just to have one smartphone(even a low-end device) on the family plan is an absolute dump on the customer. On AT&T it's a $10 charge per 'line'[device] on the family plan. No matter what device you're adding everything uses a flat rate.

No I it figured out what their strategy is:
1. Dump all device subsidy accounting into voice/sms. That is why the smartphone charge is higher than the dumbphone. Because an iPhone costs them $500-$600 and a ***** samsung or LG throwaway probably $100-$200. In fact this should push dumbphone customers to smartphones quicker, because they are getting screwed the hardest.
2. Begin the transition to data as a utility: pay by the GB, and at a higher rate. Not only that, they can increase that fee at some point because data is a paid 'feature' and the subsidy is being recouped in the access line charge.
3. Scorch the earth for all competitors, especially prepaid, by suddenly devaluing the per minute or per sms charges. Now everyone will think it should be unlimited, and any provider trying to charge by the minute will look like a nickel-n-dimer.

Tiger8
Jun 12, 2012, 12:02 PM
Yea definitely did the right thing moving to Sprint, and will move to Virgin/ StraightTalk / Cricket once the new iPhone is introduced. Yes, I will break my contract and sell the 4s. Believe it or not, breaking your contract is cheaper than actually following through with it.

soonbaek
Jun 12, 2012, 12:03 PM
Anyone know how to get out of Verizon contract? I'm done. I'm taking my business (and talent) to AT&T.

topmounter
Jun 12, 2012, 12:08 PM
If I got decent Sprint signal at the house I'd already be using Ting (I already use their 4G MyFi when traveling and dumped tethering for my iPhone w/ AT&T).

It's going to be hard to resist re-upping my AT&T contract for the iPhone5, but I'm spending 2-3x more w/ AT&T than I would by going pre-paid.

CrazyMutha29
Jun 12, 2012, 12:11 PM
Anyone know how to get out of Verizon contract? I'm done. I'm taking my business (and talent) to AT&T.

Port your number to AT&T and pay your final Verizon bill (including ETF) when it comes...

floridonet
Jun 12, 2012, 12:14 PM
They also announced Data-Only plans which I think will work out nicely for me!!

I have an LTE iPad and my wife carries around a mobile hotspot.

dokujaryu
Jun 12, 2012, 12:18 PM

Wow! 10 gigs for $60? Can you do Skype over LTE on iPad?

chrmjenkins
Jun 12, 2012, 12:19 PM

:confused:

And furthermore, how does a new contract option make your existing one so odious?

soonbaek
Jun 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
Port your number to AT&T and pay your final Verizon bill (including ETF) when it comes...

Ok, I should've said get out of contract without paying for ETF fee. :rolleyes:

semitry
Jun 12, 2012, 12:22 PM
Ok, I should've said get out of contract without paying for ETF fee. :rolleyes:

This only affects you when you're off you're pretty much off your ETF anyways and looking to upgrade. Otherwise stay on your current plan, nothing changed so you can't get out of the ETF.

Nostromo
Verizon is still heavily overpriced, and offers like these are of interest only for very few people.

The usual rip-offs like paying extra for texting and $30 for a reasonable data package just pulls way too much out of our pockets just for having a smart phone.

sweetbrat

So with a data only plan (for netbooks, tablets, other data only devices) you can get 10GB of data for $60. But if you get a plan for your iPhone, 10GB of data costs $100. You'd be paying $40 per phone as opposed to $10 or $20 per data only device (which should cover the unlimited minutes/texting) and yet the data is still almost twice as expensive. Interesting.

soonbaek
Jun 12, 2012, 12:23 PM
:confused:

And furthermore, how does a new contract option make your existing one so odious?

I was making fun of Lebron's infamous decision. "I'm taking my talent to " - ah nevermind, poor joke :D

I get 25% off entire AT&T bill vs only 20% off primary line on Verizon. And so the AT&T bill is ~$30/month cheaper compare to Verzion. The only reason I stayed with Verizon was the unlimited data on the primary line... Stupid reason but I thought I would be grandfathered in.

larock
Jun 12, 2012, 12:25 PM
I guess I'm gonna upgrade my wife's iPhone to a 4Gs, there's no sense holding onto the upgrade for the iPhone 5 now.

rgravell
Jun 12, 2012, 12:30 PM

you cant get out of your contract over this without paying your etf. their not forcing you to switch until your contract is up -AND- you buy a subsidized phone. if you buy a phone outright from now on, youll be ok until they decide otherwise. while this deal sucks for the majority of us, it doesnt currently affect anyone on contract. so theres no real use whining over it until it does affect us.

----------

I guess I'm gonna upgrade my wife's iPhone to a 4Gs, there's no sense holding onto the upgrade for the iPhone 5 now.

thats what i did two weeks ago. got a razr maxx, and locked in my contract for two more years with unlimited data. the phone is meh...but the battery life is excellent. im still going to sell it after i buy the new iphone this fall...

swingerofbirch
Jun 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
This would end up costing my family more. We don't need unlimited minutes.

sclawis300
Jun 12, 2012, 12:40 PM
thats what i did two weeks ago. got a razr maxx, and locked in my contract for two more years with unlimited data. the phone is meh...but the battery life is excellent. im still going to sell it after i buy the new iphone this fall...

I thought you couldn't do that anymore. I was under the impression if they subsidized equipment you lost unlimited. Is that wrong?

EDIT: Even before this new plan was announced.

floridonet
Jun 12, 2012, 12:46 PM
So with a data only plan (for netbooks, tablets, other data only devices) you can get 10GB of data for $60. But if you get a plan for your iPhone, 10GB of data costs $100. You'd be paying $40 per phone as opposed to $10 or $20 per data only device (which should cover the unlimited minutes/texting) and yet the data is still almost twice as expensive. Interesting.

You still have to pay the device access fee so even though $60 for the data, you have to pay $10 for the tablet and/or $20 additional if you have a mobile hotspot.

Outlaw-D
Jun 12, 2012, 12:47 PM
I hope this backfires and slaps them in the face!!!!! :mad:

Snowy_River
Jun 12, 2012, 12:47 PM
Well, I'm officially disgusted. This would cost us MORE for LESS data (if we currently had data).

Currently, my wife and I have two phones with the lowest voice minutes we can (and never face any inadequacy there), and no texting plan, opting to just pay-per-text. In addition, I have an iPad which, when I do activate data I only use the $15/250MB per month, and have never used it up in the month. If we were to add 3GB of data per line, out total monthly bill to around $145.

By comparison, to get close to this, say 4GB shared across all three devices, in this new "share everything" plan, would cost $160. Heck, even 1GB shared adds up to $140 per month, only slightly less than we would be paying. And there the proper comparison would be to having the 300MB per line plans, making the monthly total $125 vs. $140.

No matter how you cut it, this is just a disgusting money grab. There is no value here...

sweetbrat
Jun 12, 2012, 01:01 PM
You still have to pay the device access fee so even though $60 for the data, you have to pay $10 for the tablet and/or $20 additional if you have a mobile hotspot.

I understand that...in fact, I stated that in my post. In either case you're paying a per device access fee...$40 for an iPhone, $10 or $20 for a data-only device.

So why is the data almost twice as expensive if you're using it on an iPhone than it is if you're using it on a different data-only device? You're paying a higher access fee for the iPhone, presumably to cover the cost of the voice and messaging plan. So shouldn't the data cost be the same? Instead it costs $70 for 4GB on a phone plan, but only $30 for 4GB on a data-only plan. At 10GB it's 100 for a phone plan, $60 for a data-only plan. You get the same amount of data with either plan; why is it so much more expensive if you use it on a phone?

rgravell
Jun 12, 2012, 01:01 PM
I thought you couldn't do that anymore. I was under the impression if they subsidized equipment you lost unlimited. Is that wrong?

i cant vouch for if you go out and try to do it today, with this announcement, but it wasnt a problem at all two weeks ago. razr maxx cost me $149, ($199 subsidized - $50 verizon loyalty = $149).

imo, upgrading to a droid was the best way to go about it for me. some forum users here convinced me to go droid razr maxx because the battery life should help resale for me. droid os has improved since i last used it 2 years ago, but i do miss my iphone and will be buying the new one outright this fall. but the battery in the maxx lasts longer than my iphones ever did, it should considering is 2x+ the size!

larock
Jun 12, 2012, 01:02 PM

I didn't lose my unlimited data plan a couple months back when I upgraded with a subsidized phone. But, when I added a line the same day I only had the 2GB option.

kvasir
Jun 12, 2012, 01:03 PM
Perhaps I missed this, but are the current plans going away on the 28th? I'm out of contract with AT&T on the 24th and planned to switch to Verizon when the new iPhone came out.

7thMac
Jun 12, 2012, 01:07 PM
Current VZW plan: 3 smartphones and a dumb phone. Total cost is $180 (before discount and taxes). Data plans are unlimited, 4GB, and 2GB on the three phones.

New plan, with 8 GB shared data: $240, with 10G shared data: $250.

Doesn't seem like a good idea. I don't think anyone was asking Verizon for this.

obiegrad
Jun 12, 2012, 01:09 PM
Maybe my earlier reading of this was off, but I take it that you do not have to take this new plan if your renew/upgrade a phone. People with unlimited will lose it with a subsidized upgrade, but (at least for now) I think they are letting existing customers get two more years with the old plan structure.

I have an unlimited data plan on my account. Do I need to change it?

The part about you have choices to me says you can either:

1. Keep your current plan (700 minutes, 1500 minutes, ect.) and convert from unlimited data to a 2GB (or higher) cap.

2. Get a share everything plan.

If they are letting unlimited customers do this, I'd presume they'd allow other customers to do so as well. The difference may be that a new customer can't choose one of the old plans. Losing unlimited data sucks, but I think this is the only immediate impact for existing customers, hopefully this can be clarified.

Le Big Mac
Jun 12, 2012, 01:19 PM
No I it figured out what their strategy is:
1. Dump all device subsidy accounting into voice/sms. That is why the smartphone charge is higher than the dumbphone. Because an iPhone costs them $500-$600 and a ***** samsung or LG throwaway probably $100-$200. In fact this should push dumbphone customers to smartphones quicker, because they are getting screwed the hardest.
2. Begin the transition to data as a utility: pay by the GB, and at a higher rate. Not only that, they can increase that fee at some point because data is a paid 'feature' and the subsidy is being recouped in the access line charge.
3. Scorch the earth for all competitors, especially prepaid, by suddenly devaluing the per minute or per sms charges. Now everyone will think it should be unlimited, and any provider trying to charge by the minute will look like a nickel-n-dimer.

I think you've figured out the economics on this one:
-Handset subsidy plus billing/setup costs in the handset charge--that's why iPad is a small fee too.
-Throw in unlimited voice/text because at this point that's free to Verizon, or low cost so as not to be worth charging for per use.
-Charge for data as appropriate (well, 2x what's appropriate).

bboucher790
Jun 12, 2012, 01:21 PM
Isn't this for "family plans only"? Or are they getting rid of single line plans?

From the looks of this, I will be saving money...a LOT of money....per month. This seems like a fair deal for 2 - 3 users that don't need crazy amounts of data. If they force single line users into these plans, that's when it becomes absurd. Let me indulge:

Current Family Plan w/ 2 lines
1400 minutes / Unlimited Text Family Plan = $120
Unlimited Data = $30 x 2 = $60
------------------------------
Total = $180

Future Plan w/ 2 lines
Unlimited Minutes / Texts = $80 ($40 per smartphone)
4GB of Data = $70 (2GB per user)
Total = $150

So.....I'd be saving $30 total, but losing my unlimited data. That seems like a fair trade off for most people (except power users). Everyone is so up in arms about this, but I was happy when I saw this :). Am I missing something? Please let me know if I'm "not reading the fine print". This does not include taxes or other charges.

a.jfred
Jun 12, 2012, 01:23 PM
Wow.

I switched from Verizon to AT&T years ago because I'm NOT on a family plan, and they were costing me way too much money. For 900 minutes + 200 text messages, I was paying $75/mo (I needed more than the 400 minutes, and the only other option at the time was 900, which was way more than I needed) - with my corporate discount - for a cheap flip-phone that was physically falling apart by the time my contract was up (and it'd already been replaced once). You read that right, a flip-phone. Not even a dumb phone, just a basic flip-phone. For $10/mo more, I was able to get an iPhone with unlimited data, and more roll-over minutes than I can shake a stick at.

Under the new Verizon plan, I'd end up paying:

1 iPhone ($40/mo minus 22% discount): 31.20
1 GB Data: $50

Total, pre-tax & charges: 81.20

Current AT&T bill:
450 anytime minutes + rollover (39.99 minus 23% discount): 30.79
Unlimited Text: 20
Unlimited Data: (30 minus 23% discount): 23.10

Total, pre-tax & charges: 73.89 (just under $86 after taxes & government charges)

Even with the 2GB data plan on AT&T, even without the discount, I still save money. More & more, moving away from Verizon was definitely the right choice for me.

chrmjenkins
Jun 12, 2012, 01:29 PM
I was making fun of Lebron's infamous decision. "I'm taking my talent to " - ah nevermind, poor joke :D

I get 25% off entire AT&T bill vs only 20% off primary line on Verizon. And so the AT&T bill is ~$30/month cheaper compare to Verzion. The only reason I stayed with Verizon was the unlimited data on the primary line... Stupid reason but I thought I would be grandfathered in.

You are, provided you don't upgrade to a 4G device (As I understood it).

aajeev
Jun 12, 2012, 01:33 PM
Isn't this for "family plans only"? Or are they getting rid of single line plans?

If this is for family plans, I will be saving money...a LOT of money....per month. This seems like a fair deal for 2 - 3 users. If they force single line users into these plans, that's when it becomes absurd. Let me indulge:

Current Plan w/ 2 lines
Total = $180

Future Plan w/ 2 lines
Total = $150

So.....I'd be saving $30 total, but losing my unlimited data. That seems like a fair trade off for most people (except power users). Am I missing something? Please let me know if I'm "not reading the fine print". This does not include taxes and other charges.

I think, and let me just put this out there. That most people do not currently have LTE speed as of now. Verizon realized that once people switched, and as the technology progress (rely more and more on data related technology and usage) people is going to start to use a lot more data than they can keep count. Just think about dial-up and cable modem? Who would ever thought that we will one day playing graphic intensive games, chatting(VoIP), and getting rid of cable TV and live on youtube and Netflix service? Those who things that 4Gb per family is good enough is evaluating your current usage with 3G speed and what the current technology has to offer.

I can promise you that in a year or so you will realize that Verizon knew what they were doing, and they figured out long ago that the reliance on data is only going to increase. I.e., the most recent example, Apple just open up FaceTime on cellular. Now, let's just take a second to think why they would do that? Oh yea, that's right because there is no such thing as "unlimited data" anymore, so you wanna FaceTime? Sure go ahead you are burning through your data allowance, and if you go over? No problem, we will sell it to you at 10 dollars a Gb or in Verizon's case 15 dollars a Gb. Just think about it, there is a reason why they are doing this. They know people value data more. I would pay full price on iPhone 5 and keep my unlimited data plan.

rgravell
Jun 12, 2012, 01:43 PM
Maybe my earlier reading of this was off, but I take it that you do not have to take this new plan if your renew/upgrade a phone. People with unlimited will lose it with a subsidized upgrade, but (at least for now) I think they are letting existing customers get two more years with the old plan structure.

The part about you have choices to me says you can either:

1. Keep your current plan (700 minutes, 1500 minutes, ect.) and convert from unlimited data to a 2GB (or higher) cap.

2. Get a share everything plan.

If they are letting unlimited customers do this, I'd presume they'd allow other customers to do so as well. The difference may be that a new customer can't choose one of the old plans. Losing unlimited data sucks, but I think this is the only immediate impact for existing customers, hopefully this can be clarified.

as far as i understand, youre half correct. when your contract is up, you have two choices only. 1) upgrade with a subsidized phone and be forced into a share eveything plan. or 2) buy a phone outright and keep your contract the way it is (if you have unlimited data, you keep it, or whatever you have), but you become month to month. they can change option #2 anytime.

bboucher790
Jun 12, 2012, 01:48 PM
I think, and let me just put this out there. That most people do not currently have LTE speed as of now. Verizon realized that once people switched, and as the technology progress (rely more and more on data related technology and usage) people is going to start to use a lot more data than they can keep count. Just think about dial-up and cable modem? Who would ever thought that we will one day playing graphic intensive games, chatting(VoIP), and getting rid of cable TV and live on youtube and Netflix service? Those who things that 4Gb per family is good enough is evaluating your current usage with 3G speed and what the current technology has to offer.

Right. We knew they were getting rid of Unlimited Data. We've known this for a long time.

Verizon releasing Viewdini is an OBVIOUS ploy to get users to use their data up. I will not be using Viewdini or any "movie streaming" application (except youtube videos). 4G will expand what users can do with their data, completely agree. The issue you are bringing up is the ending of unlimited data, and Verizon not offering enough data to accommodate 4G speeds. I agree 100%. There are people out there that will need more than 10GB of data per month, and there should be some way to "pay" for that data.

What I'm trying to prove is that everyone keeps saying they're "paying more money" if they switch to this plan. In reality, smartphone users in current Verizon Family Plans will be saving money, if they switch to the new plans.

Lets assume I had to go all the way up to 10GB (which I doubt I'll ever need). It would still cost me $180, the same price I'm currently paying for my 1400 minute family plan w/ Unlimited 3G. So each user could have 5GB of 4G coverage. Fortunately for me, the other user on my account doesn't come close to needing 5GB of data, so I'd be getting 9GB of data. I'd bet many husbands out there have wives that use under 1GB, so they'd be getting 9GB as well.

Again, if you break it down and compare it to their current family plans, it's not as outrageous as people are making it out to be. Verizon is the most expensive carrier out there and it's always been like this.

JML42691
Jun 12, 2012, 01:48 PM
Looks like I'm in the minority but I for one am happy about this. With 6 phones on our account (5 iPhones, 1 dumb-phone soon to be upgraded to an iPhone) this plan will save us at least $70/month. Well worth the switch and couldn't be happier.

Prof.
Jun 12, 2012, 01:50 PM
Right now, I have three iPhone 4S's on my account. Two have unlimited data and one has 2GB. The three phones share unlimited messages and 700 mins. My total bill is around $200 (including taxes). With this new Share Everything plan, it looks like I'll be paying $200/mo (not including taxes). ****.

Centient
Jun 12, 2012, 01:59 PM
Actually, this news has got me thinking that we need to drop down a tier on our voice plan before they eliminate voice plans altogether.

That right there will save us $10 per month. With that tweak we'd only be saving $10 per month switching from unlimited data to a tiered plan. Obviously not worth making the switch at that point.

redscull
Jun 12, 2012, 02:01 PM
$40 per phone is t.e.r.r.i.b.l.e. That is exactly like paying $10 per phone for minutes plus $30 per smarthphone data plan. At least every phone paying that now gets 2GB data with it (3GB on AT&T). This plan costs the same but shares the data. It's hard to see just how many customers use a configuration where this would be worth doing.

And $10 per tablet is a ripoff too. If I have to pay anything to add my tablet to data I otherwise already pay for, the least you could do is subsidize the $130 cellular fee (on an iPad).

bboucher790
Jun 12, 2012, 02:02 PM
Right now, I have three iPhone 4S's on my account. Two have unlimited data and one has 2GB. The three phones share unlimited messages and 700 mins. My total bill is around $200 (including taxes). With this new Share Everything plan, it looks like I'll be paying $200/mo (not including taxes). ****.

That's if you need 10GB of data. If you do, yea, you're paying the same price. 3.3GB of data per user. If you don't need 10GB, you can save yourself some $$.

rgravell
Jun 12, 2012, 02:09 PM
What I'm trying to prove is that everyone keeps saying they're "paying more money" if they switch to this plan. In reality, people currently in Verizon Family Plans will be saving money, if they switch to the new plans.

not true. i pay $155/month now with taxes on a family plan with two smartphones, one with unlimited gb, one with 2gb. i use roughly 5-7gb of data a month, depending. id be paying more, $180 plus added taxes, with the share everything plan plus not have the flexability to use more data as needed. so not everyone saves on these new plans, most of us pay more.

EDIT: thats 7-9gb total with my wifes 2gb. plus add an extra $15 to what i pay now for that "extra" 1gb id get, and my current plan is cheaper still.

PeterQVenkman
Jun 12, 2012, 02:14 PM
Agreed, why does it matter what device we access. It's all data?

$ 10 for a tablet is $ 120 a year just for that. Not happening here:-)

It's like a water company wanted to charge us for taking water from a
faucet and charge extra if we use

a bucket vs.
a sprinkler vs
a hose

etc.

It's like charging you extra for having another sink installed in a bathroom when you remodel your basement. They should only be charging you for the "water" you use.

bboucher790
Jun 12, 2012, 02:21 PM
not true. i pay $155/month now with taxes on a family plan with two smartphones, one with unlimited gb, one with 2gb. i use roughly 5-7gb of data a month, depending. id be paying more, $180 plus added taxes, with the share everything plan plus not have the flexability to use more data as needed. so not everyone saves on these new plans, most of us pay more.

I should have said that I was comparing the new pricing structure, to the current prices.

Also, after looking at the plans in more detail, these family plans are designed for smartphone users. Anyone with flip phones on a family plan will get screwed. If everyone on your family plan uses a smartphone, you'll save a lot of money.

Looks as if Verizon wants everyone to use a smartphone. No sense in having a flip phone with this current structure.

Lastly, with Verizon's current pricing structure, the lowest you could possibly pay on any family plan w/ data is $160 without taxes. So you must be talking about an older plan, which is not what I'm comparing.

itsme932
Jun 12, 2012, 02:24 PM
I'm sure they've already thought about this, but in my mind, it would make much more sense to charge a little less for the access charges on each line (and if they felt the need, to charge $5 or so more for the data aspect).

If they lower the access charge for all devices, they will initially be taking in less money. This is true. However, this lower access charge will become more appealing to a larger number of users. Therefore, the more users they have using a smartphone, they more data they will need to sell.

Speaking of selling an increasing amount of data, as has been pointed out, the amount of data we use as a society will continue to rise anyways in the future. So, it only makes sense that as time goes on, families who enter in the tiered plan at say 2GB will eventually work their way up to 4GB and more.

However, their current pricing structure makes adding lines extremely unappealing to the many Americans who will be paying more money. In my mind, Verizon looked at the short term here. They should have looked further into the future, where a smaller access fee would have meant more demand, and therefore more data usage.

Porco
Jun 12, 2012, 02:25 PM
I have something else very interesting to say about this service plan, and I shall 'share' this inspiring and informative message with anyone who wants to read it at no cost whatsoever! That's right, completely free of charge! What a deal, huh? :eek:

However, to access my amazingly insightful comment you will have to send me $40 (if you are over the age of 35), or $30 (if you like mushrooms in your food), or $10 (if your toothbrush is either blue or green). 'cos like, it makes a big difference to me, those things, honest. :rolleyes:

rgravell
Jun 12, 2012, 02:35 PM
I should have said that I was comparing the new pricing structure, to the current prices.

So you must be talking about an older plan, which is not what I'm comparing.

understood...i got a hell of a deal then two weeks ago when i upgraded from my 4s to a razr maxx to lock in my unlimited data for two more years. at least i have unlimited lte for a bit...

----------

I have something else very interesting to say about this service plan, and I shall 'share' this inspiring and informative message with anyone who wants to read it at no cost whatsoever! That's right, completely free of charge! What a deal, huh? :eek:

However, to access my amazingly insightful comment you will have to send me $40 (if you are over the age of 35), or $30 (if you like mushrooms in your food), or $10 (if your toothbrush is either blue or green). 'cos like, it makes a big difference to me, those things, honest. :rolleyes:

haha...what happens if i fall into two of those? i like mushrooms and my toothbrush is blue. do i get to fork over $40 or just the higher priced one?

Centient
Jun 12, 2012, 02:36 PM
And $10 per tablet is a ripoff too. If I have to pay anything to add my tablet to data I otherwise already pay for, the least you could do is subsidize the $130 cellular fee (on an iPad).

Here's the part that confuses me. If you can use your phone as a hotspot, couldn't you just share your data with your tablet via wi-fi? No need for the $130 upcharge on the tablet, no need for the $10 per month for tablet either?

What am I missing?

akkkmed
Jun 12, 2012, 02:44 PM
Here's the part that confuses me. If you can use your phone as a hotspot, couldn't you just share your data with your tablet via wi-fi? No need for the $130 upcharge on the tablet, no need for the $10 per month for tablet either?

What am I missing?

Good point..... Doesn't add up.

Navdakilla
Jun 12, 2012, 02:46 PM
wow that would add up quickly for a couple of devices and tablets.

techiegirl
Jun 12, 2012, 02:51 PM

What am I missing?

My guess is convenience. Besides battery life, I've had trouble with keeping my hotspot connected when I tether my iPhone to my iPad or vise versa.

nburwell
Jun 12, 2012, 02:53 PM
Being that I'm on a individual plan and literally use at most 20 minutes a month, and have the minimal text plan since the majority of my friends have iPhones, this is pointless for me to get. I'm still on board to jump ship from VZW to Virgin Mobile once the iPhone is released on their network on June 29th.

tigres
Jun 12, 2012, 02:55 PM

How will adding your daughters iPhone be $10? it's 40 per device across the plan. I.E. 4 iPhones = 4x40 or 160.00 - Now add on your other fees/charges/ tariffs, taxes, blah blah.

bboucher790
Jun 12, 2012, 02:55 PM
understood...i got a hell of a deal then two weeks ago when i upgraded from my 4s to a razr maxx to lock in my unlimited data for two more years. at least i have unlimited lte for a bit...

----------

haha...what happens if i fall into two of those? i like mushrooms and my toothbrush is blue. do i get to fork over $40 or just the higher priced one?

Good you got your unlimited now. I wish I could do that. I "want" to be able to watch streaming movies on my phone......one day.......

ECUpirate44
Jun 12, 2012, 02:56 PM
Currently pay $238 per month

1400 nationwide share plan (last month we used 27 minutes)
Unlimited text
2 iPhone's ($60 per month in data)
3 dumb phones ($29.97 per month in data)

With the new plan, two others would probably get smartphones so:
$160+$80 (6GB to share)=$240.
Included in that is the hotspot feature.

Works for me, but I can see how others are getting screwed.

kdarling
Jun 12, 2012, 02:59 PM
This type of plan could be good for people with cellular radio'd tablets.

We have a couple of tablets with 3G/4G capability that we just use over home WiFi right now because we don't want to pay for $15-$30 each tablet data plans.

Also, neither my daughter nor my wife have smartphones, so they couldn't tether the tablets that way.

However, with this plan I could enable cellular on those tablets for $10 each. They could take them to the nearby lake beach for use while sunning.

unlimitedx
Jun 12, 2012, 03:00 PM

From the looks of this, I will be saving money...a LOT of money....per month. This seems like a fair deal for 2 - 3 users that don't need crazy amounts of data. If they force single line users into these plans, that's when it becomes absurd. Let me indulge:

Current Family Plan w/ 2 lines
Total = $180

Future Plan w/ 2 lines
Total = $150

So.....I'd be saving $30 total, but losing my unlimited data. That seems like a fair trade off for most people (except power users). Everyone is so up in arms about this, but I was happy when I saw this :). Am I missing something? Please let me know if I'm "not reading the fine print". This does not include taxes or other charges.

2gb/person may seem enough now, but how about 1, 2 or 5 years down the road? Remember not so long ago we were still using dial up Internet and look where we are now. Ideally Verizon wants everyone to get off the unlimited plan.

AustinIllini
Jun 12, 2012, 03:03 PM

Unlimited text

The plan really hurts iPhone "power users" and feature phone users. A feature phone is $30 a month in fees, but a smartphone is $40 in fees. A feature phone doesn't benefit from the data like a smartphone.

Millionaire2K
Jun 12, 2012, 03:05 PM
I pay $250 a month for:

700 mins (Used 345 on avg)
Unlimited Text
iPhone with Unlimited data.
iPhone with 2GB of Data.
Old Smatphone with 200mb of data.

Under this CON of a new plan our cost would go up to:

$290 and that would be for a limited 8 GB for 5 phones. And dont forget tax of that!!

I'm gonna look for new service. Over $3600 a year for 5 of any kinda phone is just stupid.

ECUpirate44
Jun 12, 2012, 03:07 PM
The plan really hurts iPhone "power users" and feature phone users. A feature phone is $30 a month in fees, but a smartphone is $40 in fees. A feature phone doesn't benefit from the data like a smartphone.

Right, but don't these plans make it cheaper for a family to have smartphones? Maybe it only benefits me because I don't need much data. I use 2GB, mom uses less than 500MB and I don't anticipate the others using much either.

rgravell
Jun 12, 2012, 03:07 PM
Good you got your unlimited now. I wish I could do that. I "want" to be able to watch streaming movies on my phone......one day.......

i would LOVE to stream moves to my 4g lte phone, the problem is 4g in buffalo sucks unless youre sitting under an lte tower. which are conveniently located only by verizon stores...that is when the towers are working. 4g went out across the country for over an hour as i was switching phones.

tigres
Jun 12, 2012, 03:08 PM

Unlimited text

Included in that is the hotspot feature.

you should lower your voice plan, and just save money while you have the time, fwiw on that limited intel.

groupersandwich
Jun 12, 2012, 03:10 PM

What am I missing?

EXACTLY! With tethering part of the deal it makes zero sense to ever purchase a 3G/4G tablet again. Why pay $130 upfront and $10 per month to access data you already have access to as part of your share plan?

----------

How will adding your daughters iPhone be $10? it's 40 per device across the plan. I.E. 4 iPhones = 4x40 or 160.00 - Now add on your other fees/charges/ tariffs, taxes, blah blah.

Because we'll be deleting her $30 dumb phone and REPLACING it with a $40 smartphone, thus and additional $10/month. Basic math my friend, basic math.;)

AustinIllini
Jun 12, 2012, 03:13 PM
Right, but don't these plans make it cheaper for a family to have smartphones? Maybe it only benefits me because I don't need much data. I use 2GB, mom uses less than 500MB and I don't anticipate the others using much either.

It makes it silly to ever use a feature phone. $30 a month for a dumb phone that has an atrocious browser interface? Ridiculous. Overall, these plans make more sense, but I suppose we (maybe foolishly) didn't think the price on becoming part of this plan would be so out of this world.

tigres
Jun 12, 2012, 03:15 PM
EXACTLY! With tethering part of the deal it makes zero sense to ever purchase a 3G/4G tablet again. Why pay $130 upfront and $10 per month to access data you already have access to as part of your share plan?

----------

Because we'll be deleting her $30 dumb phone and REPLACING it with a $40 smartphone, thus and additional $10/month. Basic math my friend, basic math.;)

my bad, did not take "already" into account. I was a math major :D

a.jfred
Jun 12, 2012, 03:18 PM

So what if you're over 35, love mushrooms, and your toothbrush is blue? ;)

(yes, I'm being completely cheeky)

kdarling
Jun 12, 2012, 03:18 PM
Anybody know offhand if you could still add a dumbphone line (no data) for $9.95, just as many of us do on regular family plans?

techwhiz
Jun 12, 2012, 03:23 PM
Anybody know offhand if you could still add a dumbphone line (no data) for $9.95, just as many of us do on regular family plans?

No after the 28th you would pay $30 because you would be on the unlimited voice and text plan.

----------

It's rank, it stinks.
I just upgrade my phones and will upgrade my daughter before the 28th.

From now on I'll buy devices at full retail our off eBay.
I like unlimited data.

ECUpirate44
Jun 12, 2012, 03:28 PM
It makes it silly to ever use a feature phone. $30 a month for a dumb phone that has an atrocious browser interface? Ridiculous. Overall, these plans make more sense, but I suppose we (maybe foolishly) didn't think the price on becoming part of this plan would be so out of this world.

Agreed. These plans make using feature phones ridiculous.

imwest
Jun 12, 2012, 03:35 PM
I'm clearly in the minority here but I would save a good chunk of money. I have 4 iphones on my plan and an iPad with a different carrier. If I combined them all I am looking at a savings of almost $100 per month. Unlike most people on MR, I use a lot of minutes but very little data.

tdar
Jun 12, 2012, 03:47 PM
one thing I see in may of your stories is that your going from a unlimited plan to a caped plan and you have not allotted a cost to this. Do you think unlimited is worth nothing?

avanpelt
Jun 12, 2012, 03:54 PM
I just got off the phone with VZW, and the rep said, "We just found out about this three hours ago." So, she wasn't up to speed. In fact, when I talked about the overage cost on data, she didn't know that they would add data in the case of overages at the cost of $10/1 GB. She "researched" it and confirmed that I was correct.

When I asked her whether we would be able to keep the 18% discount that we get because of my wife's job, she said that employer discounts don't currently apply to the unlimited talk plan so while she wasn't 100% sure about the applicability to the "Share Everything" plan, she didn't think employer discounts would apply to the new "Share Everything" plan since it's unlimited talk.

Can anyone confirm/deny this based on your experience/conversations with VZW? If we lose our 18% discount, that would be a bummer, but based on our data usage, it still looks like we'll save about $15 to $20 a month on the "Share Everything" plan even without the discount.

stickboy2k
Jun 12, 2012, 03:56 PM
Overall I think I'm a pretty smart person. It is not like I got a 1600 on my SATs or anything, but I am certainly no slouch. That said, this new "Shared Plan" is insanly confusing. It is really rediculous.

For a great parody on this type of thing, watch Portlandia. They have this skit where the two main characters are trying to sign up for cell phone plans, and the salesman goes through like a hundred different combinations. Hilarity ensues.

I agree. It isn't about intelligence, it is about your brain rejecting BS.
Same thing with the tax code.

I guess the "net net" is they want to kill off the $10 dumb pones.

Kim in NC
Jun 12, 2012, 03:58 PM
I just got off the phone with VZW, and the rep said, "We just found out about this three hours ago." So, she wasn't up to speed. In fact, when I talked about the overage cost on data, she didn't know that they would add data in the case of overages at the cost of $10/1 GB. She "researched" it and confirmed that I was correct.

When I asked her whether we would be able to keep the 18% discount that we get because of my wife's job, she said that employer discounts don't currently apply to the unlimited talk plan so while she wasn't 100% sure about the applicability to the "Share Everything" plan, she didn't think employer discounts would apply to the new "Share Everything" plan since it's unlimited talk.

Can anyone confirm/deny this based on your experience/conversations with VZW? If we lose our 18% discount, that would be a bummer, but based on our data usage, it still looks like we'll save about $15 to $20 a month on the "Share Everything" plan even without the discount.

I was told the discount would work definitely for the first line but the VZW person I spoke to was going to check on the other lines and data for me and call me back. I still haven't heard a word back.

tasset
Jun 12, 2012, 04:02 PM

I saw a report earlier (can't remember where) that the discount would be applied to EACH line not just primary, but no discount on data. I don't expect concrete answers until this rolls out in a couple of weeks. But killing the discounts (ours being 20%) will surely make the math even less favorable.