Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean McDonnell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
I have a PAL video ts and I'm trying to find a way to convert it to ntsc or region free so I can burn and play it. The only thing I could think to do is to burn it as PAL to a dvd and then take that dvd and rip it to my computer region free with mac the ripper, but it still remained PAL. I have no more ideas.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
NTSC/PAL and region free are different things. PAL and NTSC and incompatible video formats. The region code for DVDs has nothing to video formats. It just makes it so only DVDs and DVD players sold w/in the same region will work together.

You'll need software that converts PAL into NTSC. QT Pro might do that, I'm not sure though.

Lethal

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Use MPEG Streamclip to transcode your video ts to DV50 PAL. Then use JES Deinterlacer to convert that DV50 PAL file to NTSC.

MPEG Streamclip is free. You need QuickTime Pro ($30) and the QuickTime MPEG2 playback component ($20) to use it.

JES Deinterlacer is free. It's the highest quality standards converter there is.

I recommend using DV50 because transcoding to regular DV will degrade the original video.

JES Deinterlacer
MPEG Streamclip

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Correct - region free has nothing to do with PAL vs. NTSC - they are simply different standards.

I don't believe QT can accomplish this task myself, although I am not sure. Even with FCP, NTSC cannot be converted into PAL, or vice versa. However, if you use Nattress Standards Converter I believe that will work for FCP. Otherwise, I think Canopus Procoder will do the trick, and possibly After Effects. Hope this helps.

leslambo

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2005
Grand Rapids
Converting PAL to NTSC?

Last night I downloaded Toast 7 and took a PAL DVD and dragged it into Toast 7 and exported it as 1080i and then burned a DVD of that. I checked it on my DVD player connected to my TV and it played just fine. My DVD player and TV are both NTSC. So that is a way to at least view the contents. There were only 2 options that I saw in Toast 7 which would allow PAL conversions to "international" use. 740p and 1080i both are versions of High Definition TV.

Ringo

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2004
Quebec
leslambo said:
Last night I downloaded Toast 7 and took a PAL DVD and dragged it into Toast 7 and exported it as 1080i and then burned a DVD of that. I checked it on my DVD player connected to my TV and it played just fine. My DVD player and TV are both NTSC. So that is a way to at least view the contents. There were only 2 options that I saw in Toast 7 which would allow PAL conversions to "international" use. 740p and 1080i both are versions of High Definition TV.

:eek: :eek: :eek: 0MG!1!!1 a pirat3!1!!1! :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
As mentioned MPEG Streamclip will convert. But frankly if you have a relatively new DVD player and monitor you shouldn't have to bother. I just leave my PAL files alone and have never had a problem viewing them.

I hate converting files more than once (the burn) due to quality issues.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
leslambo said:

Ah yes, I heard Toast 7 was coming out soon. As for the format, I believe you mean 720p, not 740p. ;)

Sounds like Toast 7 is a handy little app, I may have to upgrade my v6 then if it's indeed worth it.

Ringo said:
<translated gibberish> "Oh my God, a pirate" </translated gibberish>

I would never ever have anything to do with pirates whatsoever, especially when it comes to my 'tar... :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
rainman::|:| said:
my understanding was that toast 7 still didn't support PAL conversion. Can anyone confirm this?

As it's technically not even released yet, probably not too many people would be able to confirm this. Maybe our hacker friend leslambo can enlighten us further. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.