PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Estimates on New Retina MacBook Pro Slip to 2-3 Weeks

MacRumors
Jun 12, 2012, 09:45 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/shipping-estimates-on-new-retina-macbook-pro-slip-to-2-3-weeks/)

While Apple announced at yesterday's introduction of the MacBook Pro with Retina display (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/apple-introduces-next-generation-macbook-pro-with-15-4-retina-display-starts-at-2199/) that the new models were shipping immediately, those who failed to move quickly to place their orders have seen shipping estimates quickly lengthen. Early estimates came in at 5-7 business days yesterday before moving to 7-10 business days and finally settling late yesterday at 2-3 weeks.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/retina_macbook_pro_2_3_weeks.jpg

The same 2-3 week estimate appears to apply to all configurations and customizations on the new Retina MacBook Pro, and the company is not yet offering in-store pickup options on the new machines. Limited stock is making its way to Apple's retail stores, but those looking to customize their orders or guarantee availability with online ordering for pickup are currently left out.

Apple's new non-Retina MacBook Pro and MacBook air models remain in stock for immediate shipment through the Apple online store, with customizations pushing those models out to 1-3 or 3-5 business days depending on the options chosen.

Article Link: Shipping Estimates on New Retina MacBook Pro Slip to 2-3 Weeks (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/shipping-estimates-on-new-retina-macbook-pro-slip-to-2-3-weeks/)

macduke
Jun 12, 2012, 09:46 AM
Yeah I noticed that on my order earlier this morning too. Not very happy about it, but I suppose that's what I get for waiting until later in the afternoon?

Related: we just began collecting USB 3.0 accessories in this thread over here. Everyone jump aboard!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1384806

Rudy69
Jun 12, 2012, 09:46 AM
And no stock in stores :(

blumpkin
Jun 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
They probably had about 10 built to begin with.

caligomez
Jun 12, 2012, 09:48 AM
Umm.. What about the refurbs? :D

ovrlrd
Jun 12, 2012, 09:49 AM
Eh, I don't mind so much since I don't have the money for one yet anyway.

GS17
Jun 12, 2012, 09:49 AM
After many complains in the threads yesterday about price and ports and other stuff, this just proves that people will buy anything Apple branded in a heartbeat!

Sasoon
Jun 12, 2012, 09:50 AM
I was just getting ready to order :(

keysofanxiety
Jun 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
After many complains in the threads yesterday about price and ports and other stuff, this just proves that people will buy anything Apple branded in a heartbeat!

Well, aside from the fact that it's the best laptop they've ever made.

But hey, you're right. It's the Apple logo that does it for people.

TheMacBookPro
Jun 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
Glad I got my order in early!

techguy20
Jun 12, 2012, 09:52 AM
That was fast!

beowulf70
Jun 12, 2012, 09:53 AM
hmm.. Oh well. Worth the wait I expect. :rolleyes:

AppleGuesser
Jun 12, 2012, 09:54 AM
Ive got one ordered. I got it in the time slot of 7-10 business days, guess im lucky :D

Ulf1103
Jun 12, 2012, 09:55 AM
I still hate the fact that their's no 17" version anymore...
a 17" retina would been very nice..

KDNYC
Not a surprise. People grumble but they want the "hot" new thing, and anything else is just a nicer Macbook Pro :)

The Apple Store wasn't even available yesterday for much of the day, so I guess as soon as it went "live" the available stock flew away.

AMG63
I plan to buy the retina MBP. Is it still compatible with the 27" Thunderbolt displays?

sonicboom
If you guys think the laptops are going to fly off the "shelves" like iPhones/iPads, you're crazy.

Wait a few weeks, the supply chain will be established and laptop buying habits will be same as its ever been.

phillipduran
Jun 12, 2012, 09:56 AM

Arguably the best laptop ever.

Hakone
I can't imagine the cluster of people at the stores after yesterday's WWDC. I usually like to get a hands-on before I order anything.

Thunderhawks

It couldn't be because it's an excellent product and may fit a certain
clientel?

macduke
Jun 12, 2012, 09:58 AM
My order shows this and I ordered around 5pm yesterday?

15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
Ships: 2 - 3 Weeks
Delivers Jun 29 - Jul 6 via 2-3 Business Days

Is it strange that I haven't even received the normal confirmation email that they said would be sent once I completed my order? At any rate it seems like I might get my MacBook Pro R-Type as soon as the fifth anniversary of my first iPhone.

paulsquyres
Jun 12, 2012, 09:58 AM
Ordered a MB Pro Retna with 16gb, 512gb, 2.7Ghz. Apple originally said would ship in 5-7 days. Just got email from Apple about tracking info and it is being shipped from China and will be delivered this Thursday, June 14 at or before 10:30AM !!!

skywalkerr69
Jun 12, 2012, 09:59 AM
I thought Tim Cook was an operational Genius?

Just joking, sucks spending >3K and having to wait though.

QCassidy352
Jun 12, 2012, 09:59 AM

No, proves that this is a great product. And the pricing is fine - an old style mbp with the same ram and ssd costs more than the new one - and you don't even get the 1 gb video card.

mstur
Jun 12, 2012, 10:01 AM

Wait and see...

doelcm82
Jun 12, 2012, 10:02 AM
Oh, I hope not.

Best so far, maybe.

I ordered yesterday as soon as I could:

Configuration

2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
512GB Flash Storage -- I couldn't see paying $500 extra for the biggest flash storage.
No VGA Adapter
No Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
KYBD/USER'S GUIDE
COUNTRY KIT

Delivers Jun 22 - Jun 26 via Standard Shipping

benrub
I ordered one yesterday. My shipping estimate:
Ships: 3 - 5 Weeks :(

I requested the faster processor, 16GB RAM, and largest available HD

shareef777
I ordered immediately after the store went up. Because I bumped it to the 768G drive the shipping estimate was 3-5 weeks. Strangely, if I spec out the same system today shipping estimates show 2-3 weeks. I wouldn't read too much into their 'estimates'.

Boe11
Jun 12, 2012, 10:03 AM
I plan to buy the retina MBP. Is it still compatible with the 27" Thunderbolt displays?

I'm sure it is. Wouldn't be surprised if we see an updated TBD in the coming months with USB3, however.

ayala421
Jun 12, 2012, 10:04 AM
These look sweet, but I'll hold out for the Retina display iMacs!:cool:

Diego Benito
Jun 12, 2012, 10:05 AM
Hi guys,

Do You think they might run out of stocks until beginning of July?

I don't live in US, but I'll be on a Trip around US in the beginning of July and I am planning to buy one directly at the retail stores. Now I am afraid they might be sold out.

What do You think? Any chances of this happening?

Thanks for the help,

GS17
Jun 12, 2012, 10:07 AM

It actually does it for many people, didn't say it did it for you, but usually the ones that feel attacked have a reason to feel that way.

I'm thinking on buying one by the way but may wait until Rev. B.

Did you actually read the posts yesterday? the tag line is one thing, the reality for many people is that is not.

Did everyone needed to buy one on the first day or they just wanted to buy one. Independent buyers may go either way, but I think is more of the latter. Companies and the like plan for purchases ahead and not based on rumors of an inminent release.

sevimli
Jun 12, 2012, 10:08 AM
Has anyone seen Retine MBP "IN STOCK" ?

I was able to log into the apple store website as soon as it was back online, and it was "5-7 days" already!

cube
Jun 12, 2012, 10:08 AM
Rosetta, ExpressCard, FireWire, Ethernet, DVD.

I ordered a Snow Leopard 17".

ATV1, MBP 15" ExpressCard+battery, I always have to buy the discontinued stuff from Apple now.

bommai
Jun 12, 2012, 10:09 AM
Until now, only the Mac Mini had HDMI (aside AppleTV for obvious reasons). The new retina MacBook Pro has HDMI also. I wonder if this is part of the post-Jobs strategy.

kennycheng93
Jun 12, 2012, 10:09 AM
No anti-glare option for Retina MacBook Pro????
:rolleyes:

MH01
Jun 12, 2012, 10:11 AM

Hogwash!

The powerbook 12" rocked!

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/specs/powerbook_g4_1.5_12.html

Loved that machine! That is how you build a pro machine.

The new MBP, more MBA then MBP, buy hey some people believe in the hype that is the best pro ever! :rolleyes:

Logo is one thing, falling for Marketing crap.... geez!

adambadamh
Jun 12, 2012, 10:11 AM

Yeah, though you need the MagSafe2 adaptor and the resolution on the laptop screen is now higher than the monitor :eek::D

nagromme
Jun 12, 2012, 10:12 AM

It most ways it surely is. But I must admit, a very good case can be made that it’s NOT the best laptop ever. In some regards, yesterday's new MacBook Air is :)

anzio
Jun 12, 2012, 10:13 AM
Rosetta, ExpressCard, FireWire, Ethernet, DVD.

I ordered a Snow Leopard 17".

ATV1, MBP 15" ExpressCard+battery, I always have to buy the discontinued stuff from Apple now.

You forgot about floppy disks and a dial-up modem.

Lasaluki
Jun 12, 2012, 10:16 AM
But....when you are upgrading from a 2006 Macbook what's a couple more weeks? I ordered the 2.3 GHz with 16 G Ram, it will seem like magic!

iphone owner since the original born on date of 6-29-07! iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4S iPad 3

sweetbrat
Jun 12, 2012, 10:18 AM
No anti-glare option for Retina MacBook Pro????
:rolleyes:

No. There's no layer of glass over it like there is with the traditional Apple glossy displays.
From Apple's website:
More color and contrast. Less glare.

The new Retina display reduces glare while maintaining incredible color and quality. In fact, it has a 29 percent higher contrast ratio than a standard MacBook Pro display. Blacks are blacker. Whites are whiter. And everything in between is rich and vibrant. IPS technology gives you a wide, 178-degree view of everything on the screen, so you’ll see the difference at practically any angle. And you’re going to love what you see.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 12, 2012, 10:19 AM
And no stock in stores :(

Yet. It just started shipping yesterday. Apple products might be "magical" but I don't think they have a Star Trek transporter just yet. They still require delivery services to get stock to stores.

They probably had about 10 built to begin with.

Sure, because Tim Cook is that stupid. :rolleyes:

If you guys think the laptops are going to fly off the "shelves" like iPhones/iPads, you're crazy.

Wait a few weeks, the supply chain will be established and laptop buying habits will be same as its ever been.

The metric isn't iPhones or iPads. That would be stilly. The metric is MBPs, and for MBPs, it certainly looks like they are flying off the shelves. However, I have a theory that one of the reasons Apple left the "old" MBP on the stock sheet b/c the 15" Retina screens are going to be slow off the production line. So the drop back in ship dates is probably a combination of demand + availability. However, Apple doesn't need to "hold back" product to gin up demand. MBP sales have been growing even while PC laptops have been decreasing.

MacHiavelli
Jun 12, 2012, 10:19 AM
Think the MBPR looks great, but feels like an interim/developmental device . . . similar to how the iPad 1 looked lovely at first, but soon got a lot of very necessary updates with iPad 2 and 3. (The iPad 3 was described to me by an Apple store in the UK as being complaint with 4G in the UK . . . utterly wrong. The iPad is the most disappointing Apple device I have owned.)

The t-shaped (old-fashioned looking) MagSafe2 and its incompatibility with the power on the Thunderbolt Display suggest that the MBPR is rushed and out of sync with the rest of the Apple ecosystem.

I'm perplexed by this:

"This power adapter recharges the lithium polymer battery while the system is off, on, or in sleep mode. It also powers the system if you choose to operate without a battery."

http://store.apple.com/hk/product/MD506

You can "operate without a battery"? The battery is removable/can be isolated?

Kaibelf
Jun 12, 2012, 10:21 AM

a 60" retina TV would be nice too, but like all things, we have to wait on the technology to get there. It was only a couple years ago that it was groundbreaking to have one on a 3.5" screen. Then a 10" screen, and now 15." Relax, it'll come. ;)

cuestakid
is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that the non retina MBPs can only go to 8GB of RAM? So if you want/need lots of RAM, you must pay a penalty of getting multiple adapters (firewire, ethernet, ect)

Schizoid

There's still time for the Powerbook G5!
{ I'll suppress the photo this time, at the behest of the moderators ;) }

sweetbrat
Jun 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that the non retina MBPs can only go to 8GB of RAM? So if you want/need lots of RAM, you must pay a penalty of getting multiple adapters (firewire, ethernet, ect)

People have been putting 16GB into their 2011 MBPs, so the new one should be no different. Apple always sets a top amount of RAM that they sell with the computer and that they say it can take, but it can pretty much always take more than that. Besides, if you're buying one where RAM is user upgradable, it's generally much cheaper to do it on your own instead of through Apple.

jacktorrance
Jun 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
Think the MBPR looks great, but feels like an interim/developmental device . . .

So the reduction in thickness, removal of optical drive, addition of USB3, flash storage, and retina screen all aren't natural developments for the previous generation MBPs?

What would make this a non-interim/developmental device?

D-Dave
Jun 12, 2012, 10:25 AM
Hm, was going to order...but if the wait is 2-3 weeks anyway I'll probably wait a little longer to see how hot this sucker runs... (my current 15" mbp gets uncomfortably warm when used longer then a few minutes...):D

Northgrove
Jun 12, 2012, 10:25 AM
No problems with sales despite the price range then. ;)

I'm tempted too, but I can't get over what they would cost me, even the "budget" (haha!) version.

-LikesMac-
Jun 12, 2012, 10:26 AM
MBPR

MBPR? I think there's a better way to shorten it—RBP. RetinaBook Pro. :D

Anyways, there's really only two big problems I find in this laptop.

1. No Ethernet port. It's obvious why that's a problem (yes, I know there's adapters but still).

2. The fact that it uses the same GPU/CPU as in the MBP 15. I mean, consider the fact that the RBP has 4x the pixels of the MBP 15. Shouldn't the RBP have had a much more potent GPU? :confused:

doelcm82
Jun 12, 2012, 10:26 AM
It actually does it for many people, didn't say it did it for you, but usually the ones that feel attacked have a reason to feel that way.

Usually I only feel attacked when I'm being attacked.

When I see people making factual statements about why other people do what they do, I tend to think they are projecting their own motivations. No one ever says "I buy computers because I like the logo." People only ever say that about other people.

Flobber88
Jun 12, 2012, 10:27 AM
Apple Canada took forever to open up, so shipping slipped to 2 - 3 weeks for me.

Ryth
Jun 12, 2012, 10:28 AM
No, proves that this is a great product. And the pricing is fine - an old style mbp with the same ram and ssd costs more than the new one - and you don't even get the 1 gb video card.

The 1GB 650Gt is available on the old style MBPro.

jonnysods
Jun 12, 2012, 10:30 AM
Can't wait to see the speedmark tests on this bad boys.

cuestakid
People have been putting 16GB into their 2011 MBPs, so the new one should be no different. Apple always sets a top amount of RAM that they sell with the computer and that they say it can take, but it can pretty much always take more than that. Besides, if you're buying one where RAM is user upgradable, it's generally much cheaper to do it on your own instead of through Apple.

I actually did a chat last night and they told me it maxes at 8GB....

I will hope thats wrong but we will have to wait and see

Ryth
These look sweet, but I'll hold out for the Retina display iMacs!:cool:

I think I'm going to do the same.

A 1GB card in the MBPro kinda broke the deal for me. Along with not having an additional HD slot (obviously that's not possible now), After Effects really can't take advantage of it's new features on this MBPro Retina.

I'd rather have a 2GB Nvidia Card in the new iMac along with an additional SSD slot so I can put the video render to that drive for AE.

Think the MBPR looks great, but feels like an interim/developmental device . . . similar to how the iPad 1 looked lovely at first, but soon got a lot of very necessary updates with iPad 2 and 3. (The iPad 3 was described to me by an Apple store in the UK as being complaint with 4G in the UK . . . utterly wrong. The iPad is the most disappointing Apple device I have owned.)

Agreed.

The fact that they left the old MBPro model means they feel they need to offer both because the new one could be lacking something.

My friends and I who are all motion graphic artists all said we would wait for the next version to get one. We need to see how the Adobe Apps run on it and we all feel it needs more then 1GB of VRAM on the 650GT.

I think the next version is going to be the doozy.

b-dogg
Jun 12, 2012, 10:31 AM
I ordered one yesterday. My shipping estimate:
Ships: 3 - 5 Weeks :(

I requested the faster processor, 16GB RAM, and largest available HD

Is that someones credit card I can hear melting?! No messing with you my friend! This the one I'd need to compare to my existing macbook pro on which I run my pro-apps. I'm gonna have to wait until next year I think.

punchwalk
I'm actually a little surprised. I thought the price tag would give more people pause. Glad to hear the economy is healthy!

In any case, I just upgraded last year so I won't even consider an upgrade until next year unless they release a 13" MBP with 1440x900 resolution sooner, (or a 13" Retina with 2880x1800) which seems very unlikely.

nikhsub1
I wouldn't give up hope just yet. If apple was killing the 17" forever I believe they would have specifically said so. The fact that they said nothing about it speaks volumes, at least to me. My theory is that every mfgr is scrambling to do HiDpi screens now so many more sizes will be available soon including 3840x2400. Anyway, I'm good with my current machine for at least 2 more years.

kuito
Jun 12, 2012, 10:34 AM
So I ordered early.. and it said 7-10 days for 2.7,16gb,512gb but i got an email last night saying it shipped from China via FedEx with tracking info and will be here Thursday before 10:30a so i'm totally digging that :)

espoir
Jun 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
Not really 'available today'... was hoping for video-reviews on youtube, but now I understand why I couldn't find any...

Kalach
Jun 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
this would've never happened under jobs!

Anki
Jun 12, 2012, 10:36 AM
Well, there goes my hope that Apple would lower the price due to low sales. :o

New Macbook, 2013 and you're mine.

sweetbrat
Jun 12, 2012, 10:38 AM

I'm not surprised. I believe Apple's official stance was that the 2011's maxed out at 8GB as well, but they can take 16. My 2008 MBP is supposed to max out at 4, but can take 6. I'm sure someone will get one and try to put 16 in it pretty quickly...

CJJflag
Jun 12, 2012, 10:39 AM
So damn cheeky that you can't upgrade the SDD on the cheaper model.

I don't need all the other bells and whistles but I have to shell out £500 to get an extra 256 GB.

I never thought of Apple as a company that push their customers to a more expensive product in this way when they don't really need it.

Its such a superb product and will more than exceed my expectations. Just a shame its so expensive.

doelcm82
Jun 12, 2012, 10:41 AM

You only pay the "penalty" if you need those adapters. Apple doesn't force you to have Ethernet if you don't want/need it.

Unless you buy the non-retina MBP. There's no option to order the non-retina MBP without an Ethernet port. You get it (and pay for it) whether you want it or not.

Hakone
Jun 12, 2012, 10:45 AM
So I ordered early.. and it said 7-10 days for 2.7,16gb,512gb but i got an email last night saying it shipped from China via FedEx with tracking info and will be here Thursday before 10:30a so i'm totally digging that :)

i hate you... respectfully :p

nick_elt
Jun 12, 2012, 10:49 AM
Wait and see...

.......powerbook g5.......watch this space......

paradox00
Jun 12, 2012, 10:50 AM
Agreed.

The fact that they left the old MBPro model means they feel they need to offer both because the new one could be lacking something.

My friends and I who are all motion graphic artists all said we would wait for the next version to get one. We need to see how the Adobe Apps run on it and we all feel it needs more then 1GB of VRAM on the 650GT.

I think the next version is going to be the doozy.

Don't get your hopes up. The things it's "lacking" aren't coming back. Namely the high capacity hard drive and optical drive.

The Macbook Pros were kept around because a) the retina lineup isn't complete yet and b) the old style pros will still sell well.

The next version of the retina MBP will likely just be incremental upgrades and the old Pro will be kept around until it stops selling well. Kind of like the white macbook.

Ryth
Jun 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
Don't get your hopes up. The things it's "lacking" aren't coming back. Namely the high capacity hard drive and optical drive.

The Macbook Pros were kept around because a) the retina lineup isn't complete yet and b) the old style pros will still sell well.

The next version of the retina MBP will likely just be incremental upgrades and the old Pro will be kept around until it stops selling well. Kind of like the white macbook.

We know the drives and ODD aren't coming back. But they could somehow build in a '2nd' flash drive so pros can use that as their video cache drive.

Mainly, that thing needs a 2GB card...a 1GB card is not good enough for most high end apps.

1080p
Jun 12, 2012, 10:57 AM
After all of the OCD people in the iPad forums freaking out about the slightest imperfection in their new iPad retina screen, this is going to be interesting to see people freaking out about their MBP screens. "ZOMG! LIGHT BLEEDING! I GOTZ A YELLOWISH SCREEN!!!11"

mariusaz
Jun 12, 2012, 10:59 AM
Their offerings really suck this time around. Performance on a retina MBP would suck for games. The Mac Pro is still using 5000 series Radeons. Guess I'm either buying a regular MBP or waiting.

paradox00
Jun 12, 2012, 11:03 AM
We know the drives and ODD aren't coming back. But they could somehow build in a '2nd' flash drive so pros can use that as their video cache drive.

Mainly, that thing needs a 2GB card...a 1GB card is not good enough for most high end apps.

I don't use those apps, so I can't comment, but it's the same card as the old design Macbook Pros though. It's obviously not a reason they kept the old MBPs around. Neither is the lack of a second flash drive...

Incremental upgrades could include a 2 GB card, so maybe you'll be in luck.

zeromeus
Jun 12, 2012, 11:04 AM
When the Air first arrived... the base price was 1799! Look at it now! $999 for the base model. One Apple gets all the kinks ironed out and everything, prices will come down. I believe the first set of people have to pay that price because they're the ones paying for R&D... Next year, all those parts would be more readily available and they'll drop the price like crazy. I just ordered my new MBA yesterday... I'll wait until the MBPR reaches that affordable price before I jump again. I got the MBA for its portability now that I'm back to school. Since I'm an EdTech major, I can justify getting a new MBA.

2crazy
Jun 12, 2012, 11:05 AM

This is definitely not true in my case. The MBP Retina is exactly what I was hoping for. Ivy Bridge, 15", Nvidia graphics, slimmer design, no CD/DVD, Retina Display, USB3.0 and at least 8GB RAM. I didn't think it would happen though. The new MBP is expensive, but so is every Apple computer.

Ryth
Jun 12, 2012, 11:07 AM
I don't use those apps, so I can't comment, but it's the same card as the old design Macbook Pros though. It's obviously not a reason they kept the old MBPs around. Neither is the lack of a second flash drive...

Incremental upgrades could include a 2 GB card, so maybe you'll be in luck.

Yah I think a 2GB card is coming...especially when games and other apps take advantage of that screen, a 1GB card is not going to cut it.

And the next gen Intel chips will be a big upgrade with the 'Tock' to Haswell. I think that is when we have the 'ultimate' MBProRetina. So next June...

AppleDude
Jun 12, 2012, 11:09 AM
=Early estimates came in at 5-7 business days yesterday before moving to 7-10 business days and finally settling late yesterday at 2-3 weeks.

There was at least one exception to that. I made my order about 1:00 p.m. Pacific Time yesterday and was given "3-5 weeks." The strange thing is when walked through the same BTO after work, the estimate was "2-3 weeks."

I called Apple and asked, "my current order status online shows 3-5 weeks but when walking through the same order now, I am getting 2-3 weeks. Does this mean if I cancel my order and re-order, I will receive by MBP 1-2 weeks earlier?" The rep said it appeared so and suggested I do that:confused:.

The online store wouldn't let me cancel my order so I let it be. Just as well, it may have have resulted in my losing my place in line and taking longer.

louden
Jun 12, 2012, 11:09 AM
Kind of Nuts... If I'm going to spend that much on a laptop, I'd like to try it out first...

PBG4 Dude
Jun 12, 2012, 11:12 AM
Kind of Nuts... If I'm going to spend that much on a laptop, I'd like to try it out first...

Luckily with Apple, you have 14 days to decide whether you want to keep it or not. :) (No, I didn't order one, I'm looking at an 11" MBA. :D )

MacSince1990

....Did you ever even use a PowerBook?

asiafish
It most ways it surely is. But I must admit, a very good case can be made that it’s NOT the best laptop ever. In some regards, yesterday's new MacBook Air is :)

I agree. The 11" MacBook Air is, BY FAR, the best laptop available anywhere at any price (for me).

I had the original 2010 model and it was fantastic. Since it was stolen at the airport last November and TSA bought me a replacement, I have greatly enjoyed the 2011 model. The 2012 model is extremely exciting, but to me what is even more exciting is the announced Thunderbolt to FireWire 800 adapter. With that baby, my 2011 Air only sacrifices a bit of power that I honestly don't need.

As for the new Retina Pro, again it is VERY impressive, but I really don't need it. I own a Mid-2010 15" with the high-resolution antiglare display. Yes, its processor (original 2.6 GHz Core i7) and nVidia 330M GT (512MB) are now two-years-old and thoroughly outdated, but they are close enough to not really affect anything I am likely to do except perhaps high-end games in Windows, where, for now at least, that new retina display will be a disadvantage until the drivers catch up.

I plan on waiting until 2014 to replace my MacBook Pro and probably 2015 to replace my Air, so long as both remain responsive with the latest and greatest OS and software.

lifeinhd
Jun 12, 2012, 11:13 AM
Waiting for ship-to-store to be available so I can get 16GB RAM. I'm temporarily staying in someone else's apartment in a high-sales-tax state, so I want to pick up in DE to avoid the hassle of picking up the shipment and about $200 in sales tax :eek:

mobi
Jun 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Anyone see Retina MBP display models in stores?

ValSalva
Jun 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
When I placed my order last night it clearly said shipping in 7-10 business days with delivery at the end of the month.

Then I woke up to an email saying it had already shipped. Maybe those 2-3 week estimates are just very conservative.

Crunch
Actually, it went from "5-7 business days" to "2-3 weeks" yesterday afternoon Pacific time. I know because I was calling stores to see if they had the new Retina MBP, but every store only had the "regular" updated MBPs, so I finally ordered online last night and it had switched to 2-3 weeks then.

We're talking around 4pm Pacific (7pm Eastern), so it wasn't even that late. I tweeted about it when I found out, so I can look for the exact time if need be. Have we come to the point where we have to stand in line to buy Macs??? :eek:

knewsom
Can't wait to see what sort of issues this thing has...

asiafish
Jun 12, 2012, 11:23 AM
I'm actually a little surprised. I thought the price tag would give more people pause. Glad to hear the economy is healthy!

In any case, I just upgraded last year so I won't even consider an upgrade until next year unless they release a 13" MBP with 1440x900 resolution sooner, (or a 13" Retina with 2880x1800) which seems very unlikely.

They did release a 13" with 1440X900, TWO-YEARS-AGO. Its called the 13" MacBook Air and it is a fantastic machine.

justperry
Jun 12, 2012, 11:26 AM
Can't wait to see what sort of issues this thing has...

Probably too hot to use it as a LAPtop.:rolleyes:

asiafish
Jun 12, 2012, 11:31 AM

I don't need all the other bells and whistles but I have to shell out £500 to get an extra 256 GB.

I never thought of Apple as a company that push their customers to a more expensive product in this way when they don't really need it.

Its such a superb product and will more than exceed my expectations. Just a shame its so expensive.

Why not just buy your own SSD and install it yourself? Apple's old-style MacBook Pros are very easy to upgrade RAM and HD.

My 2010 MacBook Pro 15 was upgraded from 4GB to 8GB RAM for less than $100 (Crucial.com) and has a 1TB HDD and 256MB SSD (replaced the optical drive) for roughly $400 in last-year's prices. Not sure about the upgradeability of the new MBPR, but the traditional MBP is very easy and inexpensive to configure, so long as you do it yourself instead of through Apple.

----------

When the Air first arrived... the base price was 1799! Look at it now! $999 for the base model. One Apple gets all the kinks ironed out and everything, prices will come down. I believe the first set of people have to pay that price because they're the ones paying for R&D... Next year, all those parts would be more readily available and they'll drop the price like crazy. I just ordered my new MBA yesterday... I'll wait until the MBPR reaches that affordable price before I jump again. I got the MBA for its portability now that I'm back to school. Since I'm an EdTech major, I can justify getting a new MBA.

The new maxed-out MBA is, in my opinion, even more impressive than the new Retina MBP. An 11", 2.4 lb laptop with a fast i7, 8 GB RAM and a 512 GB SSD likely result in a faster laptop than the very fastest MBP of two-years-ago, even with the (much-improved) integrated graphics. I'd buy one, but my maxed-out 2011 model 11" Air is still everything I want in a laptop and thus not yet ready for replacement. Perhaps next revision or the one after that.

Barna Biro
Jun 12, 2012, 11:32 AM
Rev. A is never really cool... I'm waiting for some benchmarks, to see people complain about different things that are not functioning as intended and that the bottom is so hot that you can't keep it on your lap.

Once those things get somewhat smoothened out ( "partially-fixed" ) then I'll order the maxed out version...

needfx
Jun 12, 2012, 11:32 AM
practice patience you must young apprentices, rush not into the dark side, wait for updated versions of the force

iEnvy
Jun 12, 2012, 11:38 AM
Someone tell me about the experience of switching from windows to os x because god damn this laptop is just too sexy for a rash withdrawal from my wallet :(

TallManNY
Jun 12, 2012, 11:45 AM

#firstworldproblems

CaryMacGuy
Jun 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
In my case I have waited 27 years for a laptop like this...what is another 2-3 weeks ;)

asiafish
Jun 12, 2012, 11:46 AM
Funny how everyone complains about how expensive Apple laptops are, while ignoring the fact that other premium-grade laptops from the competition are just as expensive. Look at a Lenovo ThinkPad W-series workstation and you will find prices just as high as Apple charges for a MacBook Pro with comparable specs. Compare the prices of ultrabooks with the MacBook Air and you will pay just as much for a Windows ultrabook as the equivalent Air, or in some cases even more.

Of course Apple gear is expensive, it is premium stuff. Apple doesn't compete with the bargain ranges from their competitors, but with their premium, high-end lines.

Funny thing is that with high-end gear comes a better return on investment. I used to buy high-end IBM and later Lenovo ThinkPads, and generally would sell them after two years for half of what I paid. I also (still) buy and us Apple laptops (since 1993) and generally keep them for two years, then pass them to a family member for two years, and then sell it at age 4 and get back 60% of the original purchase price. NO OTHER LAPTOP COMES CLOSE TO APPLE FOR RESALE VALUE.

I was very eagerly waiting for the new MBP announcement because my current MacBook Pro is now two-years-old and therefore ready to pass on. The new model looks great, but I decided to get the latest of the original style 15" MacBook Pros. After ordering the high-configuration of the old-style 15", I then fired-up my 2010 model to play some games.

I played DragonAge 2 on OS X and then Mass Effect 3 on Windows 7, with the settings set to very high detail, and realized that even at two-years-old, my current MacBook Pro remains more than powerful enough for everything I do. I cancelled my order and will likely use my current MBP for another year before passing it down.

needfx
Jun 12, 2012, 11:49 AM
Someone tell me about the experience of switching from windows to os x because god damn this laptop is just too sexy for a rash withdrawal from my wallet :(

kinda of how you felt when you got your first iphone, but multiplied 100fold. Though I would not suggest the mbpr, but rather a pimped-out mba 11". Unless you are a non-linear editor, motion graphics artist, 3d sculptor, or pro-gamer.

If you need a laptop just to be mobile, mba is the way to go.

edit: honestly, cs5.5, c4d, zbrush among others work ok on the tiny laptop for quick artistic expressions. Renderings, meeh, if its faaaar too complicated, but you can setup the basics and migrate the project to a proper system later on either for renderings or finalization. Screen estate is an issue, but that depends on your needs on the go.

----------

#firstworldproblems

nice one!!

reclusive46
Jun 12, 2012, 11:49 AM
I wonder how well these retina MacBook pros are really going to be able to play games.

brueck
Jun 12, 2012, 11:50 AM

I was able to log into the apple store website as soon as it was back online, and it was "5-7 days" already!

Same here

GorgonPhone
Jun 12, 2012, 11:50 AM

i will get mine in 1.5 years.. and i want a 13" not 15"

needfx
Jun 12, 2012, 11:53 AM

Tim "The Wizard" Cook?

zeromeus
Jun 12, 2012, 11:54 AM

Since my Jr. year in high school many many years ago, I've been a Windows person. During my Sr. year, I upgraded my first computer... by adding a bigger hard drive and a CD-ROM drive. My third computer was built by my very own two hands during my freshman year in college. After that, building computer was a hobby I had for many years. In other word, I've been a Windows person for about 1/3 of my life before I started using a Mac.

In 2008, I got my very first Mac product, the iMac. As a teacher, I got it for free since I ordered so much books and stuff from Scholastic.

It was the easiest experience to move from Windows to Mac. Now I'm a duo OS person. I'm very comfortable with both Windows and Mac. All the shortcuts from Windows are the same in Mac with the exception that you use the option key instead of the control key. Like Option+C = Control + C. However, if you don't like to use the option key, you can always tell the OS to use the Ctr. key instead.

One thing you don't really need to worry about is installing an antivirus program since that slows down your computer and eats up your battery like crazy. I know because I have Windows on my MacBook Pro and using OSX gets me along longer than using Windows 7 on the same machine.

The Apple site has a tutorial for Windows users migrating to OSX... Check it out! http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

manu chao
Jun 12, 2012, 11:56 AM

The ret-MBP is lacking the low price of the MBP, it is lacking the faster processor, it is lacking the 1 TB (potentially 2 TB when using the optical drive bay, and even more in a year or two). It is also lacking a 13" version (probably because the integrated graphics would be too feeble for a retina + external display and not enough space for a discrete GfC).

That is why the conventional MBP line still exists. Not because of the FW and Ethernet port (and likely also not because of the optical drive).

brueck
Jun 12, 2012, 11:58 AM

Yeah, I've been a devoted Apple fan for six years now. I "will buy anything Apple branded in a heartbeat" because I know that it will be a great product. There seem to be a growing number of you people who are offended by this. Why do you care? I love Apple not because they make expensive products that elevate my social standing, but because they make good products.

STOP SPREADING YOUR DISCONTENT ON MESSAGE BOARDS! YOU'RE MAKING THE WORLD A WORSE PLACE.

manu chao
Jun 12, 2012, 11:59 AM
The 1GB 650Gt is available on the old style MBPro.
But not with the slower processor that the retina MBP has. This makes a straight comparison more difficult.

Interestingly enough, officially the new retina MBP can have more RAM than the conventional MBP.

macbook123
Jun 12, 2012, 12:00 PM
I still have a 5-7 day shipping estimate with delivery between June 22-26 (chose standard shipping...often they upgrade it for free). Sounds like I was one of the first to order!

needfx
Jun 12, 2012, 12:02 PM
Mine just in!!!

manu chao
Jun 12, 2012, 12:03 PM
The t-shaped (old-fashioned looking) MagSafe2 and its incompatibility with the power on the Thunderbolt Display suggest that the MBPR is rushed and out of sync with the rest of the Apple ecosystem.

There is an adaptor available to use existing chargers including the TB display with the retina MBP. They made the connector smaller because they made the laptop thinner and they provided an adaptor to use old chargers. What is rushed about this approach?

"This power adapter recharges the lithium polymer battery while the system is off, on, or in sleep mode. It also powers the system if you choose to operate without a battery."

http://store.apple.com/hk/product/MD506

You can "operate without a battery"? The battery is removable/can be isolated?
With the right screwdrivers, it can be removed. But I agree, this sounds a bit strange.

theluggage
Jun 12, 2012, 12:03 PM

That surprised me - however, Apple's going rate for a 256GB SSD bump alone is £400 (look at the BTO options for the more expensive "retina" and the top-of-ther-range Air), so getting the faster processor as well for £100 more is probably the best value.

Also, Apple will be looking at their logistics and trying to keep the number of BTO variations as small as possible.

Ryth
Jun 12, 2012, 12:11 PM
Why not just buy your own SSD and install it yourself? Apple's old-style MacBook Pros are very easy to upgrade RAM and HD.

I don't think you can do either in this new MBRetina.

wickedawesome31
Jun 12, 2012, 12:22 PM

Albeit very nice, a 17" retina would cost a fortune. The 15" model is pricey enough.

paradox00
Jun 12, 2012, 12:26 PM
I don't think you can do either in this new MBRetina.

Pretty sure the SSD will be upgradable just like the Air. RAM is likely soldered in.

Edit: On further review, it does look to be a different design, but I'd still bet on it being removable.

thermodynamic
Jun 12, 2012, 12:29 PM
Back to nVidia? Wasn't there a big row that had Apple going to ATi a year or so ago?

As for the price, I'll pass until I know that the thing won't fry eggs while I use it. Extended use of devices that run at high temperatures lower their lifespan, and it's pathetic that "cheap Windows laptops" using the same or faster components have historically ran cooler. Why have a quad core if you can't use it to its full potential due to poor design (either chassis or the amount of thermal grease slopped on...)

On the plus side, they're fully kitted up with 8GB... but if the power supply is as underperforming as it was on the 2011 models, don't expect turbo boost to be used because of it...

Ryth
Jun 12, 2012, 12:30 PM
Pretty sure the SSD will be upgradable just like the Air. RAM is likely soldered in.

Lets hope...RAM is definitely soldered on...just watch the video.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

steve-p
Jun 12, 2012, 12:30 PM
Arguably, but the 17" model they just discontinued is looking pretty good for that title now.

sweetbrat
Jun 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
But not with the slower processor that the retina MBP has. This makes a straight comparison more difficult.

Interestingly enough, officially the new retina MBP can have more RAM than the conventional MBP.

The RAM issue will likely be a moot point. Apple usually gives a number as the max RAM that isn't accurate. They say the late 2011 MBP max RAM is 8GB, but people put 16GB in with no problems. I'd be willing to bet that the new MBP can take 16GB as well.

bushido
Jun 12, 2012, 12:36 PM
and people claim the economy is bad :p:D

too bad i'm still a student, that retina mbp is still far far away from my budget

Celf
Jun 12, 2012, 12:38 PM

you're also wrong. Until we know the stock AND order numbers we don't know anything at all!!

Supa_Fly
Jun 12, 2012, 12:45 PM
My order shows this and I ordered around 5pm yesterday?

15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
Ships: 2 - 3 Weeks
Delivers Jun 29 - Jul 6 via 2-3 Business Days

Is it strange that I haven't even received the normal confirmation email that they said would be sent once I completed my order? At any rate it seems like I might get my MacBook Pro R-Type as soon as the fifth anniversary of my first iPhone.

MBP R-Type, I like the sound of that!

treminaor
Jun 12, 2012, 12:57 PM
Back to nVidia? Wasn't there a big row that had Apple going to ATi a year or so ago?

I hope this turns out better than my 2008 Santa Rosa MBP...

Val-kyrie
Jun 12, 2012, 12:57 PM
I visited our local Apple Retail Store to see the Hi-Res MBP, but none were on display. An associate told my wife and me that the store sold out of the Hi-Res MBPs yesterday and that one gentleman "was kind enough to open the box ... and show us what it looks like." It seems that even the Apple Store employees hadn't seen the new Hi-Res MBP either--plenty of the newly updated old generation IVB MBPs, though.

that1guyy
Jun 12, 2012, 01:21 PM
I thought Apple was supposed to be a master of supply management? Apparently they did not produce enough retina computers. Or, may be they're having QC issues with their high powered displays, which wouldn't be all that surprising.

Dindorio
Jun 12, 2012, 01:24 PM
I want to order one. I hope it will not take more than 2-3 weeks for shipping. I am agreed to wait but want to get it.

iEnvy
Jun 12, 2012, 01:33 PM
Since my Jr. year in high school many many years ago, I've been a Windows person. During my Sr. year, I upgraded my first computer... by adding a bigger hard drive and a CD-ROM drive. My third computer was built by my very own two hands during my freshman year in college. After that, building computer was a hobby I had for many years. In other word, I've been a Windows person for about 1/3 of my life before I started using a Mac.

In 2008, I got my very first Mac product, the iMac. As a teacher, I got it for free since I ordered so much books and stuff from Scholastic.

It was the easiest experience to move from Windows to Mac. Now I'm a duo OS person. I'm very comfortable with both Windows and Mac. All the shortcuts from Windows are the same in Mac with the exception that you use the option key instead of the control key. Like Option+C = Control + C. However, if you don't like to use the option key, you can always tell the OS to use the Ctr. key instead.

One thing you don't really need to worry about is installing an antivirus program since that slows down your computer and eats up your battery like crazy. I know because I have Windows on my MacBook Pro and using OSX gets me along longer than using Windows 7 on the same machine.

The Apple site has a tutorial for Windows users migrating to OSX... Check it out! http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

Thanks! Do Macbooks tend to retain their operating capabilities to a good level after some years due to hardware and os?

URFloorMatt
Jun 12, 2012, 02:05 PM
I plan to buy the retina MBP. Is it still compatible with the 27" Thunderbolt displays?Of course, and the LED Cinema Display. Need the MacSafe 2 adapter though. $9.99.

zeromeus
Jun 12, 2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks! Do Macbooks tend to retain their operating capabilities to a good level after some years due to hardware and os?

On my iMac, everything runs perfectly well with both OSX and Windows 7.

On my MacBook Pro, I definitely noticed that it runs hotter with windows 7 installed. I've yet tried vacuuming the vents, though. Perhaps taking a huge vacuum and suck out all the debris might help it run faster and cooler.

As far as speed, I can't really tell you since I've updated the OS 3 times on my machines. The speed might have been affected by the OS more than the hardware.

I can tell you that after all these years, my machines run perfectly well, though. Compared to the Windows machines which I had to replace components here and there quite often, the Mac definitely is worth every penny. My 3 year old HP desktop had to have the video card replaced once after about 6 months and then again after 2 years. I'm good now, though.

steveh
Jun 12, 2012, 02:13 PM
Hogwash!

The powerbook 12" rocked!

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/specs/powerbook_g4_1.5_12.html

Loved that machine! That is how you build a pro machine.

And it is beaten like a bad dog in every way except size by the new MBP.

I like the 12" PB when it came out, and still support one that a family member still uses. But I'd never consider swapping it for this two-year-old 13" MBA.

brdeveloper
Jun 12, 2012, 02:14 PM

I'm not seeing too much messages like "Shut up and take my money" in Macbook Retina topics :P

treminaor
Jun 12, 2012, 02:24 PM
"Shut up and take my money"

That's how I was while watching the Macbook Pro video on Apple.com

Navdakilla
Jun 12, 2012, 02:47 PM
I guess demand early on is high

I'll be picking up a cheap refurb 11" air, hoping that a 13" retina display mbp comes out next summer

BriSpe
Jun 12, 2012, 02:55 PM
I'm not seeing too much messages like "Shut up and take my money" in Macbook Retina topics :P

There's no need to...maybe Apple took already their money

KdParker
Jun 12, 2012, 02:57 PM
Ordered today...lets see what happens with shipping.

charlituna
Jun 12, 2012, 03:09 PM

The non-retina models are designed for the common user and rarely do they need more than 8gb

----------

After all of the OCD people in the iPad forums freaking out about the slightest imperfection in their new iPad retina screen, this is going to be interesting to see people freaking out about their MBP screens. "ZOMG! LIGHT BLEEDING! I GOTZ A YELLOWISH SCREEN!!!11"

What about that one random dead pixel.

----------

If you are pretty good with computers and you can replace your needed apps it's not that hard. I've even done PC to Mac data transfers with the whole migration assistant myself (Ethernet if you can cause wifi is slow)

Kruegstar
Jun 12, 2012, 03:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfiZKNhQFmw&feature=colike

Fandongo
Jun 12, 2012, 03:18 PM
That surprised me - however, Apple's going rate for a 256GB SSD bump alone is £400 (look at the BTO options for the more expensive "retina" and the top-of-ther-range Air), so getting the faster processor as well for £100 more is probably the best value.

Also, Apple will be looking at their logistics and trying to keep the number of BTO variations as small as possible.

The best value is the retina...
Which is a ridiculous concept.

If you build a 2.3Ghz Fatbook and want the 256Gig SSD, 8 gigs of ram, and "Hi-res" display...
- $2,500

Same specs on Retinabook
- $2,200

Build a 2.7Ghz 512GB SSD Fatbook w/ "hi-res"
- $3,450

Retinabook (with double the RAM!)
- $3,250

Of course, flash memory is different.
I'm waiting to see if the Fatbook can actually have RAIDed SSDs.

The BTO options have gotten more limited.
For example I would take the 2.7GHz w/ 4GB ram and a 128GB SSD Fatbook (upgrade 3rd party ram and SSD)... But 4GB is limited to the 2.3Ghz.

The idiots on here pleading for 8GB standard got their wish.
Congratulations, you now get to pay their inflated BTO prices...STANDARD

Ok so how about a 2.7 Retinabook w/ 256GB?...
NOPE.

There is only one excuse...
$$$$$
To kill OWC.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

clibinarius
Jun 12, 2012, 04:26 PM
Yawn. These things won't be good until Haswell. Waiting for next year. Thanks for the beta testing, gang.

aberrero
Jun 12, 2012, 06:07 PM
seriously kicking myself for not buying it immediately.

darwinian
Jun 12, 2012, 06:26 PM
So the reduction in thickness, removal of optical drive, addition of USB3, flash storage, and retina screen all aren't natural developments for the previous generation MBPs?

What would make this a non-interim/developmental device?

Perhaps. But the thing that makes this interesting (in my mind) is that this is arguably the first significant improvement on the unibody design since it was released for the MBP in what, 2008. Sure an MBA got some treatment over time, but by and large the unibody process---and more importantly all of the engineering design it takes to make a heat-moving functional computer---has not changed greatly. There is a real beauty in the unibody design, not just in external aesthetics but in all of the technology that was invented to achieve the thinness and heat dissipation qualities of this lightweight and insanely strong/rigid machine.

GenesisST
Jun 12, 2012, 07:31 PM
I thought Tim Cook was an operational Genius?

Don't they charge your card just prior to shipping? So technically, one didn't spend 3K yet... :cool:

Marrakas
Jun 12, 2012, 08:18 PM
3-4 weeks now. Demand must be crazy.

treminaor
Jun 12, 2012, 09:03 PM

The question is why they didn't anticipate it. I mean seriously, this is the biggest update to the Macbook Pro in recent years, they had to expect at least a large fraction of the current demand given how many years they've been releasing new products on the market in the past. I'm just pissed that Schiller got me excited with "And the best part is, these are shipping TODAY" - yeah, maybe for about 1,000 people but everyone else is waiting a week or more :mad:

AidenShaw
Jun 12, 2012, 09:27 PM

The question is why they didn't anticipate it. I mean seriously, this is the biggest update to the Macbook Pro in recent years, they had to expect at least a large fraction of the current demand given how many years they've been releasing new products on the market in the past. I'm just pissed that Schiller got me excited with "And the best part is, these are shipping TODAY" - yeah, maybe for about 1,000 people but everyone else is waiting a week or more :mad:

Because long queues are free advertising.

treminaor
Jun 12, 2012, 10:02 PM
Yeah, me telling everyone how much I hate Apple right now. Great advertising there.

punchwalk
Jun 12, 2012, 10:08 PM

In any case, I just upgraded last year so I won't even consider an upgrade until next year unless they release a 13" MBP with 1440x900 resolution sooner (or a 13" Retina with 2880x1800), which seems very unlikely.
They did release a 13" with 1440X900, TWO-YEARS-AGO. Its called the 13" MacBook Air and it is a fantastic machine.

Please look more closely at my original post before you flame me; I said a 13" MBP, not just a 13" Apple notebook. I made that distinction intentionally; I'm well aware of the Air and it's a fine machine but I prefer the Pro.

twoodcc
Jun 12, 2012, 10:37 PM
I'm hoping to pick one up at my local apple store

justperry
Jun 12, 2012, 11:12 PM
and people claim the economy is bad :p:D

Too bad i'm still a student, that retina mbp is still far far away from my budget

LMFAO

For somebody who has this as his signature :

iPhone 4 - 16 GB (5.1) MacBook Pro 5,5 - Lion iPad 2 - 64 GB Wifi (5.1.1 JB) iPhone 4S - 32 GB (5.1.1 JB) iPod Nano - 6th Gen

And I remember a post from you where you said you changed your iPhone 4s from a black one to a white one.
You shouldn't go out clubbing:eek:
Oh, you are so poor:rolleyes:

dvs1
Jun 13, 2012, 01:36 AM

.. I too hope that's wrong!
Any info on those new non-retina mbp's RAM true possibilities very welcome!

orthorim
Jun 14, 2012, 12:24 AM
When I placed my order last night it clearly said shipping in 7-10 business days with delivery at the end of the month.

Then I woke up to an email saying it had already shipped. Maybe those 2-3 week estimates are just very conservative.

... yes!!!! As was the case with my new iPad - it said 2 weeks, then shipped in like 2 days.
That's why I am checking the freaking order page about every 5 minutes... even though it says 3-5 weeks for me... :(

I guess it didn't help I customized it a bit, max. RAM, English keyboard (I am in Asia). Still... it'll all be worth it, whatever, can't wait.

[refreshes order page... still 3-5 weeks... damn....]

Important: The RAM in this laptop is not upgradeable, and neither is the SSD. So better max it out when you order. I imagine that OWC will eventually provide SSD boards for it, so SSDs should be fine. But soldered-on RAM is going to be a PITA to ever upgrade, so get the 16GB.

orthorim
Jun 14, 2012, 12:38 AM

I don't think it's either good or bad. For every person reading about tight availability and getting interested, there's going to be two who need a laptop now and are going to get something else. Not that there is anything like this.

But I think mainly it has to do with production. Ramping up production for the launch, then scaling down again for running sales is surely what they're doing, but it's not like you can easily go from 10 assembly lines to 1, not for a complex product like this.

People forget that this cutting edge stuff is actually very hard to produce, and Apple is keeping only 2 days or so inventory, so once they've sold off the stockpile they made for launch day, they are restricted in their ability to make more. They've already sold as many as they can possibly make in about 4 weeks running full tilt.

And that's assuming there's no shortages of crucial components, e.g. retina displays which have never been made before in this size and quality.

----------

.. I too hope that's wrong!
Any info on those new non-retina mbp's RAM true possibilities very welcome!

Ever though of checking the specs on Apple.com?

macintoshi
Jun 14, 2012, 01:23 AM
MBPR? I think there's a better way to shorten it—RBP. RetinaBook Pro. :D

Anyways, there's really only two big problems I find in this laptop.

1. No Ethernet port. It's obvious why that's a problem (yes, I know there's adapters but still).

2. The fact that it uses the same GPU/CPU as in the MBP 15. I mean, consider the fact that the RBP has 4x the pixels of the MBP 15. Shouldn't the RBP have had a much more potent GPU? :confused:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gt-650m/specifications the gpu does support 3840 x 2160, so i don't think its needed a more potent gnu. but i ask myself why when the 650m supports up to 2gb , apple is gone away with the 1gb?

-LikesMac-
Jun 14, 2012, 11:51 AM
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gt-650m/specifications the gpu does support 3840 x 2160, so i don't think its needed a more potent gnu. but i ask myself why when the 650m supports up to 2gb , apple is gone away with the 1gb?

Of course the GPU would support the needed resolution, or else apple wouldn't put it in the RBP. :rolleyes:

But there IS a difference between being able to run the display at all and running the display well, especially for games. Now, I'm not saying that the GPU is horrible, but I'm wondering why Apple decided to use the same GPU as that of the MBP 15 on a display with a much higher resolution. You brought up a good point, too—why didn't apple use the 2GB 650M, at the least? :confused:

macintoshi
Jun 16, 2012, 04:24 AM
Of course the GPU would support the needed resolution, or else apple wouldn't put it in the RBP. :rolleyes:

But there IS a difference between being able to run the display at all and running the display well, especially for games. Now, I'm not saying that the GPU is horrible, but I'm wondering why Apple decided to use the same GPU as that of the MBP 15 on a display with a much higher resolution. You brought up a good point, too—why didn't apple use the 2GB 650M, at the least? :confused:
I think its more the heating issue, why they dont put a higher one, cause i was there and i saw it and lift it and i must say its very thin. I saw notebooks or laptops how fat they become with a higher definition gfx

treminaor
Jun 17, 2012, 11:44 PM
I ordered my base model 15" retina on June 11th mid afternoon and just this evening it finally changed to "Preparing for Shipment".

My $100 card is supposed to arrive via FedEx tomorrow.

thisrocks
Jun 18, 2012, 01:19 AM
My payment finally came through on Friday morning. I've got a long wait.

treminaor
Jun 18, 2012, 11:39 AM
I think the shipping estimates that Apple tell you before shipment don't take into consideration if you've bought 2-3 day shipping or not - my delivery estimate has always been June 25-28, but its being delivered on the 21st.

MikeE21286
Jun 18, 2012, 11:44 AM
I think the shipping estimates that Apple tell you before shipment don't take into consideration if you've bought 2-3 day shipping or not - my delivery estimate has always been June 25-28, but its being delivered on the 21st.

Yeah, mine just shipped today and had a delivery estimate of June 26-29 and has a delivery date of June 21st.

treminaor
Jun 20, 2012, 01:23 AM
Left Shanghi on the 18th, now it's in Memphis, Tennessee.

Crunch
Jun 20, 2012, 01:58 AM
Left Shanghi on the 18th, now it's in Memphis, Tennessee.

Sweet! When did you get your order in? (I'm assuming on the 11th, but what time of day and what time zone? And what was the ETA when you checked the order status for your new baby in the days preceding your shipment notification? ("2-3 weeks, 3-4 weeks")? (Note to self: You're really just asking someone to tell you when exactly they ordered, so that you may better gauge as to when yours might ship? Yup, I sure did)

----------

I don't really think the new MBP's are overpriced anymore. 8GB additional RAM for $200? Not bad at all.

Also: Those who are considering buying anything other than the "entry-level" model are paying for bragging rights. Looking at multiple benchmarks, the "entry level" Ivy Bridge 2.3GHz (the i7-3615QM, to be specific) is already more than very few people will ever come close to "needing". I just sold my 17" (Late-2011) MBP which had every last option, including the unnecessary 2.5GHz upgrade (from 2.4GHz lol). I would have never paid any of my own $ for it, but it was a deal I couldn't turn down.

Bottom line: The 3rd gen. Core i7-3615QM 2.3GHz "Ivy Bridge" is FASTER than the 2nd gen. Core i7-2860QM 2.5GHz "Sandy Bridge", albeit only slightly, but that's sort of the point. I'm on a MacBook Air right now with a dual-core i5 1.8GHz "Ivy Bridge" and I am blown away by how fast this baby is! In particular, the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics is awesome. It supports 4Kx2K, so while it may not be ideal for the Retina MBP, it can drive it just fine. That's according to Intel when they had their own Ivy Bridge CPU/GPU intro event.

treminaor
Jun 20, 2012, 03:28 AM
Sweet! When did you get your order in? (I'm assuming on the 11th, but what time of day and what time zone? And what was the ETA when you checked the order status for your new baby in the days preceding your shipment notification? ("2-3 weeks, 3-4 weeks")?
I ordered it on the 11th about an hour after the store came up (would've been earlier but the Apple store's credit card processing was bugging out so I finally just called in my order). I didn't get a shipping notification until the 18th at 6AM PST - my estimate was June 25th-58th for delivery, FedEx is telling me delivery by June 21st 10:30AM PST. I'm assuming that Apple doesn't figure in your shipping method on their on-site estimate. I ordered 2-3 day shipping, which is being shown by FedEx but not by Apple's estimate.

treminaor
Jun 20, 2012, 11:33 AM
Now mine's in Pacheco, CA (I live 20 minutes away from that city) and it's "On a FedEx vehicle for delivery". Could that possibly mean it would be delivered today? - it would be a day early!

Edit: Just arrived, 10:30AM PST

Java.
Jun 23, 2012, 09:05 PM
Did anyone order theres yesterday, a few days ago, or today and get updated? Mine says 3-4 weeks and I'm wondering if it will (or has a chance) to come earlier. ;)

orthorim
Jun 23, 2012, 11:45 PM
Also: Those who are considering buying anything other than the "entry-level" model are paying for bragging rights.

Not bragging rights, paying for the 512GB SSD. As the entry level doesn't have an option to upgrade to 512.

It's a little upsell that Apple's put in there - want more storage? Need to get the high spec model! Nevertheless, I can't be mad with them, this machine is going to be sweet... ordered 10 days ago and still stuck in 3-5 weeks shipping, argh..

As for CPU horsepower, I never needed it until I started developing for iOS - turns out Xcode is an absolute pig of a program, quad i7 should be just about OK with it.

orthorim
Jun 24, 2012, 02:01 AM
Did anyone order theres yesterday, a few days ago, or today and get updated? Mine says 3-4 weeks and I'm wondering if it will (or has a chance) to come earlier. ;)

The number of orders is fixed, and only going up, but I am hoping for some Foxconn magic, maybe they can temporarily crank up production. Yep... unlikely as hell but grasping at straws ... ;)

Java.
Jun 24, 2012, 08:34 AM
The number of orders is fixed, and only going up, but I am hoping for some Foxconn magic, maybe they can temporarily crank up production. Yep... unlikely as hell but grasping at straws ... ;)

Welp. One can only hope for some of that Foxconn Magic. :p

mstur
Jun 27, 2012, 08:26 AM
No. There's no layer of glass over it like there is with the traditional Apple glossy displays.

This is not true. There IS a layer of glass on the display of the Retinabook !
Only: it is slightly "tinted" when compared to an iPad 2, both turned off.
So the reflection is still there, it is only "darker".

sweetbrat
Jun 27, 2012, 12:41 PM
This is not true. There IS a layer of glass on the display of the Retinabook !
Only: it is slightly "tinted" when compared to an iPad 2, both turned off.
So the reflection is still there, it is only "darker".

According to iFixit:
We need to clarify this before continuing with the teardown; Apple did not design and build a 1.5 mm thin LCD panel. They did, however, do something exceptional with the design of this display: rather than sandwich an LCD panel between a back case and a front glass, they used the aluminum case itself as the frame for the LCD panel and used the LCD as the front glass.

joe1946
Jun 27, 2012, 01:15 PM
Apple Store now showing "Ships: 3-4 weeks".
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select