PDA

View Full Version : Should I install this beta on my primary phone?

felixen
Jun 12, 2012, 10:23 AM
Hi everyone!

I only have one iPhone and this is my primary phone. I am curious about iOS6 though. Would you guys recommended installing it, or is it still too buggy and risky to install on a primary phone?

I'm curious how it's running on your iPhones, and what the downsides to installing it are? Never had an iOS beta before.. Thanks!!

Julien
Jun 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
No

maflynn
Jun 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
Unless you're a developer who needs to test out the new iOS, then not.

The risks of having an unstable phone is to great and generally speaking its very difficult if not impossible to revert back to the prior version.

thewitt
Jun 12, 2012, 10:26 AM
Too buggy. Wait for at least beta 3

MadGoat
Jun 12, 2012, 10:28 AM
I have been since iOS 4 ... I have yet to render my primary phone (Not a rich man so it's my Dev phone too).

Sure there are some minor bugs that pop up, but I have yet to see any show stoppers.

So in short, yes if you don't mind some minor annoyances.

moonman239
Jun 12, 2012, 10:28 AM
iOS is actually not too bad. There's a poll here, and last I checked less than 50% of users reported having more than a few problems.

GIZBUG
Jun 12, 2012, 10:29 AM
hi everyone!

I only have one iphone and this is my primary phone. I am curious about ios6 though. Would you guys recommended installing it, or is it still too buggy and risky to install on a primary phone?

I'm curious how it's running on your iphones, and what the downsides to installing it are? Never had an ios beta before.. Thanks!!

no.

Gjwilly
Jun 12, 2012, 10:30 AM
This beta is much, much more stable than beta-1 of iOS5 but who's to say that the next beta won't be worse?
With iOS5, some of the betas seemed like deliberate steps backward.
It all depends on what Apple is looking to have tested in any given perios and it isn't always a natural progression from worse to better.
If you can't commit for the long stretch then you probably shouldn't risk it because going back to the released iOS from a beta is not always easy.
Again, going back from this first beta doesn't seem to be a problem but that could change from beta to beta.
In fact the instructions flat-out say that going back is not an option all though with beta-1 anyway, that doesn't seem to be true.

Sir Ruben
Jun 12, 2012, 10:31 AM
Yes, when jobs declared thermonuclear war he meant IOS6, he knew striking back with an updated settings app icon, and some random funky theme inconsistencies would destroy all that stands in its way!

felixen
Aaaaah mixed signals :confused: :confused:

Haha, man I dont know. I am releasing apps but I don't develop them myself. It's mainly just excitement over checking out the new features. It's definitely a good point that it's risky though. I mean if my alarm for instance wouldn't work in the morning I'd be screwed when I woke up 4 hours too late. Then again if it's only a little lag here and there, then that shouldn't bother me too much..

So someone said wait for beta 3. How long does it usually take before they update to beta 2, beta 3 etc?

nathanlloyd
Bear in mind that all of your settings, messages, etc including saved games and things like that will be gone.

iOS 6 Beta (like other betas) is a software image not a software update/upgrade.

Not so much of a worry if it isn't your main phone but worth bearing in mind if it is.

iBreatheApple
Jun 12, 2012, 10:33 AM
It really isn't a smart idea. Though I must say I did and I also restored from an iOS 5 backup and it's been pretty flawless this far. I'm also one of "those people" whom the community despises so much that got a developer to register my device. I honestly don't know why it's a huge deal as I have a true passion for Apple and beta testing is an "adventure" to me. That said, I'm not one to complain and bitch about things not working right.

I guess to answer your question though, it's not advised but I do it each year. Just know that sometimes things can happen and you have to live with it. Last year those of us who did not update to beta 4 in time had our phones reset to factory setup mode and that was a bummer but, as mentioned, you're taking the risk when installing the software. THAT said, while it definitely had a few kinks, this beta seems impressively stable for it being the first one.

Cheers and good luck.

felixen
Jun 12, 2012, 10:33 AM
Bear in mind that all of your settings, messages, etc including saved games and things like that will be gone.

iOS 6 Beta (like other betas) is a software image not a software update/upgrade.

Not so much of a worry if it isn't your main phone but worth bearing in mind if it is.

Alright, I think this and Gjwilly's post convinced me. I'm just not a big fan of the waiting game.

*Calypso*
Jun 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
I'd say it depends. If you are a college student who only uses his phone for Facebooking and texting and you want to show of iOS 6 to your friends at the next party, I'd say give it a shot. If this is your business phone and a few missed phone calls or lost data can cost you your job, don't. ;)

And I see absolutely nothing wrong in non-developers playing with beta versions, as long as they don't cry like a baby when something does not work properly.

moonman239
Jun 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
This beta is much, much more stable than beta-1 of iOS5 but who's to say that the next beta won't be worse?

It's unlikely, though.

nfl46
Jun 12, 2012, 10:37 AM
I installed it on my primary device. It works fine for me so far. I've even used the Maps application while coming to work today. Of course there are bugs, but its nothing "majorrrrr".

Gjwilly
Jun 12, 2012, 10:38 AM

Not true for beta-1 anyway.
It can be installed right over iOS5 like any other update.
All settings and media are retained.
The next beta might be different but this one has been pretty innocuous.

----------

It's unlikely, though.

You wouldn't say that if you'd tried the iOS5 betas.

Craiger
Jun 12, 2012, 10:44 AM
Go ahead. Unless your phone is CRITICAL. The worst I have had to do is a restart. It will come back after that. I have used betas for 3 years and never had more than annoying hiccups and more frequent restarts.

Edit: Also we need more people on the beta for better crowd sourced traffic! lol

AndyK
Jun 12, 2012, 10:45 AM
If you have no experience of running beta software, have no use to do so other than to "try it out" and have no other device for normal use when the beta randomly crashes and bugs out (because that's what betas do) you really should not.

OneMike
Jun 12, 2012, 10:53 AM
Do it

theonekcrow
Jun 12, 2012, 10:54 AM
Personally, I only run pre-release/beta software on my primary phone when it is at the GM stage. Given that GMs are usually the most stable

*Calypso*
Jun 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
do it

iBreatheApple
Jun 12, 2012, 11:02 AM

Best show ever.

gpat
Jun 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
Go ahead. Unless your phone is CRITICAL. The worst I have had to do is a restart. It will come back after that. I have used betas for 3 years and never had more than annoying hiccups and more frequent restarts.

Edit: Also we need more people on the beta for better crowd sourced traffic! lol

The betas of iOS 5 were simply tragic. After that experience, I would advise against installing a beta of iOS, if you have to rely on your phone in any situation in your everyday life.

jfreak623
Jun 13, 2012, 11:57 AM
i upgraded my primary iphone 4s. I have experience no issues whatsoever. I been enjoying the new features! :)

BFizzzle
Jun 13, 2012, 12:03 PM

The risks of having an unstable phone is to great and generally speaking its very difficult if not impossible to revert back to the prior version.

i guess putting it in DFU mode is difficult and impossible?

Gotanks0407
Jun 13, 2012, 12:27 PM
I've had no stability issues like i have in the past with iOS 4, and 5. I actually think this first iOS 6 beta runs quite a bit snappier than the 5.1.1 release. Webpages, load quite a bit faster, apps open quicker, including stock and third party apps. But there is always a glitch every once in a while i havent been through all my apps, yet but some always seem to not work on beta releases.

Up to you, but i find the iOS6 beta 1 release very stable.

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 13, 2012, 01:10 PM
No this is probably the worst beta I have used. I put it on my primary devices but that is because I don't have a lot of money and I am stupid (every release) :p I wouldn't recommend it. The new map app is broken and Passbook doesn't have any developers support. All it is is bugs and new UI tweaks.

steve-p
Jun 13, 2012, 01:13 PM
I'm waiting until it settles down a bit first. I need a working phone more than I need some possibly buggy new and old features. I will put it on my iPad though.

Defender2010
Jun 13, 2012, 03:25 PM

Untrue. You can just "shift" "update" in iTunes and it wil install fine. I have done this on my 4S and new iPad. Everything is as before with no issues. I reverted back to 5.1.1 on both to see if I could...it worked fine too. Then I updated again to iOS 6. Both are working very well with little bugs.
OP: the most important thing to do is turn off iCloud backup on your device. You don't want a later os backup made as you cannot use it on 5.1.1 if you choose to go back. OR: if you use iTunes. Make a copy of the backup you make prior to installing, so if you want to go back (and iTunes accidentally backs up over the old 5.1.1 backup) you still have a copy safe with all your data.

Just my addition to your dilemma...

Gjwilly
Jun 13, 2012, 04:29 PM
i guess putting it in DFU mode is difficult and impossible?

DFU mode doesn't fix eveything.
An other inexperienced beta tester heard from.

BFizzzle
Jun 13, 2012, 04:38 PM
DFU mode doesn't fix eveything.
An other inexperienced beta tester heard from.

i amz 3lit3 beta tester d00dz!!111

lol show me where i say it does? if you read the conv, he said

"Originally Posted by maflynn

The risks of having an unstable phone is to great and generally speaking its very difficult if not impossible to revert back to the prior version."

he only said it was difficult and near impossible to revert to a prior version. which isnt true. Its quite easy and very much possible.

chasers
Jun 13, 2012, 04:49 PM
I have used many betas on blackberry, too many ROMs on android, and this is my first time using a beta on an iPhone. I must say iOS 6 MORE stable than any ROM I've tried on android. Using those ROMs either 4G want working on one and gps wasn't working on the next one. My point is betas are used to test different areas within the OS that can improve the OS and beneficial to the user. So far only apps that aren't working for me are hotel monopoly and draw something. So far the little changes are welcoming at least to me. Remember this is a testing time who knows iOS 6 might be a 180 from this beta and upcoming betas

Gjwilly
Jun 13, 2012, 05:48 PM
he only said it was difficult and near impossible to revert to a prior version. which isnt true. Its quite easy and very much possible.

And that's why I called you inexperienced.
Yes, it's possible but just because you have never had a problem does not mean that it's easy.
DFU mode alone is not always the answer to reverting to an earlier version.
You sometimes need Xcode and other developer tools that a non developer will not have easy access to.

rman726
Jun 13, 2012, 05:59 PM

I agree. I haven't had a single major problem. The only problems I have had are a few, "well that's kind of annoying." Such as playing a song with Siri when using voice navigation and the song not playing like it should... Or the Open Icon in the app store not showing up and instead some weird string... Very stable beta IMO.

I mean yeah it's a risk. Just because it works fine for me doesn't mean someone else won't have a "fatal" error. But I figure the worst that happens is I get inconvenienced and take it to the Apple Store where they replace it...

mrial
Jun 13, 2012, 08:34 PM
I have it on my primary iPhone 4s. The only problems so far are that I can't download podcasts directly (I have to go via iTunes) and no street view in Maps. 3rd party apps are working fine.

BFizzzle
Jun 13, 2012, 09:34 PM
And that's why I called you inexperienced.
Yes, it's possible but just because you have never had a problem does not mean that it's easy.
DFU mode alone is not always the answer to reverting to an earlier version.
You sometimes need Xcode and other developer tools that a non developer will not have easy access to.

I know this he is talking about ios6 beta.... Which all you need to do is put into dfu mode lol.

thewitt
Jun 13, 2012, 11:34 PM
Several of our development devices have significant enough issues that I would still not recommend upgrading your primary phone.

On one, the address book is still there however it cannot be accessed from the phone, messages or email apps...

We have left the phone in this condition for reporting the bug to Apple, but there were no errors in the install.

Major General
Jun 13, 2012, 11:57 PM
It depends on your phone, my phone is my main and developing phone so I would anyways. The install is fine and reverting back is fine, just back up before you upgrade because 5.1.1 can not read your IOS 6 back up data and you can't restore ios 6 soo. But if you are on a iphone 4 like me, there is nothing much this beta does besides change the UI add in those features and everything else minus everything with Siri added to it :rolleyes:

christophermdia
Jun 14, 2012, 12:00 AM
i installed on my primary phone and "new" ipad....only thing i notice is less battery life, which is to be expected...they still last me a day...no regrets

haruhiko
Jun 14, 2012, 12:10 AM
Hi everyone!

I only have one iPhone and this is my primary phone. I am curious about iOS6 though. Would you guys recommended installing it, or is it still too buggy and risky to install on a primary phone?

I'm curious how it's running on your iPhones, and what the downsides to installing it are? Never had an iOS beta before.. Thanks!!

If you need Google Maps, then hell no.