PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbolt Software Update 1.2 Causing Boot Failures for Some Users

MacRumors
Jun 12, 2012, 11:02 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/thunderbolt-software-update-1-2-causing-boot-failures-for-some-users/)

Among the many software updates Apple has been pushing out associated with yesterday's keynote announcements, Thunderbolt Software Update 1.2 (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1544) is a relatively minor 537 KB download offered to provide support for the company's new Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD463ZM/A). The adapter is intended for use with Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Air models and the new Retina MacBook Pro, which do not come with an Ethernet port built in due to their thin designs.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/thunderbolt_software_update_1_2.jpg

But as noted by TidBITS (http://tidbits.com/article/13061), the update seems to be causing major problems for a number of users, with some users' machines being rendered unable to boot.Although it's unclear if all Thunderbolt-equipped Macs are affected, a number of people have reported that installing the update causes a variety of strange boot-related problems (kernel panics, getting stuck at the gray boot screen, "Unexpected error" messages, and more). Regardless of the details, in each case, it seems that the Mac is rendered unusable, even thunderstruck. I've now heard from some people for whom the update did not cause any problems, but it's still unclear what the difference may be between those who are and are not suffering boot failures.The report notes that the issues can be fixed by reinstalling OS X Lion, although that is certainly not a desirable step for most users to have to take. Consequently, it seems advisable for users to avoid installing this update until the cause of the issues can be identified and Apple can introduce a revised version of the software.

Article Link: Thunderbolt Software Update 1.2 Causing Boot Failures for Some Users (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/thunderbolt-software-update-1-2-causing-boot-failures-for-some-users/)

codymac
Jun 12, 2012, 11:05 AM
Count me in this camp with an early 2011 MBP. KP on boot.
:mad:

Dagless
Jun 12, 2012, 11:06 AM
It just works.

gforce216
Jun 12, 2012, 11:07 AM
Late 2011 MBP is OK. I had already downloaded it when I saw this article and I was praying on the reboot lol.

MacRumorUser
Jun 12, 2012, 11:07 AM
It just works.

bring back plug and pray ;) :D

I think I'll pass updating my 2011 MBA at the moment.

shurcooL
Jun 12, 2012, 11:08 AM
No issues here. OS X Lion 10.7.4 on Early 2011 13" MBP.

haruhiko
Jun 12, 2012, 11:09 AM
Absolutely fine. MacBook air 2011

whooleytoo
Jun 12, 2012, 11:10 AM
It just works.

Lose a port, gain a crash. Seems like a fair swap to me.

Had a kernel panic sometime last night/ this morning on my Mid 2011 iMac.

Sylon
I think I'll avoid this update for now. I'm glad this was spotted before I heard about the update.

PatFlanel
Jun 12, 2012, 11:11 AM
Fine for me on both early 2011 MBP and 2011 Mac mini.

SmileyBlast!
Jun 12, 2012, 11:12 AM
Thank You Macrumors.com for this timely warning.
It's good to know you are watching out for us.

bbeagle
Jun 12, 2012, 11:12 AM
I think I'll pass updating my 2011 MBA at the moment.

I'm still using my 2006 White MacBook. Doesn't even support OS X Lion, which I think is actually a feature. :D

1080p
Jun 12, 2012, 11:13 AM
No problems on my mid-2011 iMac.

misterpip
Jun 12, 2012, 11:13 AM
mid 2011 imac ok for me

needfx
Jun 12, 2012, 11:16 AM
not really helping, but never update instantly

be patient

Small White Car
Jun 12, 2012, 11:17 AM
Given the sporadic reports I suspect we'll find it's a conflict with some other software that only some people have. I remember there was some bug a few years back that erased external hard drives, but it only happened with people who had a specific Logitech mouse driver on their Mac.

Makes it really hard to nail down the problem.

vetman35
Jun 12, 2012, 11:19 AM
No problems here. Early 2011 MBP17 w/Intel 600GB 320 SSD.

ghostface147
Jun 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Early 2011 17" MB Pro. No issues. 10.7.4.

clukas
Jun 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Thank You Macrumors.com for this timely warning.
It's good to know you are watching out for us.

agree, ill sit this one out aswell.

bakerzdosen
Jun 12, 2012, 11:21 AM
I'm one of the unlucky ones I suppose. I've posted this in a few other places, but yeah, yesterday afternoon shortly after it was released, it popped up as an available update. I was going to be away from my computer (MacBookPro8,2, 2.2GHz quad core 8GB), so I figured I'd run the two updates (this one and iPhoto) while I was gone.

I came back to a single dialog box that said that the update couldn't be applied. I rebooted the machine (hitting OK simply removed the dialog box but didn't reboot on its own for at least 5 minutes) and got the "driver not found" kernel panic on the next (and 3 other) attempt to boot.

The only thing I found that worked was re-installing Lion (hold the option key on boot to select the recovery drive.)

For the record, I had an external monitor hooked up to the Thunderbolt port while running the update - if that's applicable.

CaymanDiver2012
Jun 12, 2012, 11:21 AM
I downloaded this update last night. My 2011 MacBook Pro 17" running Lion would not reboot and would not install update. Had to shut down and re-install LION. All is fine now. But I won't be trying to download this Thunderbolt up-date again.

Sacird
Jun 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
Happened to me last night. Macs don't crash though, its a feature. j/k :p

But yeah I will avoid this update for awhile, I forget to wait sometimes and just update anyway. I lost my kernel panic virginity YAY!

Early 2011 MBP here.

jonnysods
Jun 12, 2012, 11:23 AM
Wow, I just ran software update and saw this.

Thanks for the heads up!

adamfilip
Jun 12, 2012, 11:23 AM
Common apple.. your better then this..

QCassidy352
Jun 12, 2012, 11:29 AM
Worked with no problem on my 2011 iMac 21" (apple ssd, if that matters).

faroZ06
Jun 12, 2012, 11:29 AM
I'd rather have FireWire than Thunderbolt.

kustardking
Jun 12, 2012, 11:30 AM
2011 iMac 3.4GHz 10.7.4, updated without issue

For all I love about the Mac, the OS, compared to Windows, really seems like amateur hour way too often. If you disagree, make sure you're not mentally stuck in 95 and XP land.

In my XP years I certainly had my fair share of blue screens. However, in the two years I've been using Windows 7, with the same workflow as before (programming and graphics production), I had one crash, and that was because I accidentally knocked a PCIE card out of its slot. In the year I've been using OS X I've had to restart the Finder countless times, had Time Machine corruption on several occasions, and have to deal with "lazy" updating of the filesystem's "visual" state.

There are certainly things I like more about OS X, and that's why I'm still using it, but it really is a technically less sophisticated and more chaotic environment than Windows. Being technically less advanced isn't a negative, rather I can't get over that updates screw things up so often, especially given that Apple has way more control over the environment than MS does. Updates in Windows 7, which were much more frequent than for OS X, *never* disrupted the OS, and never even my most obscure 3rd party software utilities and apps.

I continue to use OS X because overall I like the feel of it more, and of course for the Apple ecosystem, but I do so with a constant background tension of whether or not it will remain stable.

tbealmear
Jun 12, 2012, 11:31 AM
I am having this issue so I am having to reinstall Lion from the recovery tool. I wish I would have seen this before I decided to install the update. Luckily with the way Apple set up this recovery tool it should be pretty painless (minus the downtime) to reinstall Lion + the latest combo update. And I don't have to worry about my data with this route. I will be holding off on installing the Thunderbolt update this time ;)

marcusj0015
Jun 12, 2012, 11:31 AM
Is it normal for this many updates for day old hardware?

Stampyhead
Jun 12, 2012, 11:32 AM
Yikes, I just barely downloaded the update an hour or so before I read this. My computer (early 2011 MBP) seems ok after the update (knock on wood) so hopefully I'm in the clear. I'll try to avoid restarting, though, until a fix is issued.

Macman45
Jun 12, 2012, 11:34 AM
Late 2011 MBP is OK. I had already downloaded it when I saw this article and I was praying on the reboot lol.

I did it in the wee small hours of this morning without a hitch....MBP 17" (October 2011) Seems odd how identical machines are behaving differently.

imageWIS
Jun 12, 2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks for letting us know, I will avoid the update, especially since its a useless update on my Macmini.

nkawtg72
Jun 12, 2012, 11:38 AM
I had this happen to my Feb2011 13" MacBook Pro running the latest Lion OS.

After running several utilities on the partition I was still unable to get it to boot, without experiencing the Kernel Panic immediately after seeing the Apple logo screen.

I didn't want to reinstall Lion, because I didn't want to go through the process of having to reinstall all my apps etc.

Here's what I did to fix my problem. Fortunately this worked on the first try, and no ill affects have been seen since.

1 - from a different computer running the same OS as the one that is corrupt, go to Apple Support site, download latest Combined Update installer
3 - start corrupt Mac in Target Disk Mode
4 - attach corrupt Mac to secondary Mac with a firewire cable
5 - on secondary Mac run Combined Updater, be sure to change installation location when prompted to your externally attached corrupt Mac
6 - once installation is complete, eject hard drive of corrupt Mac.
7 - power down corrupt Mac and then attempt to power it up.

This method may or may not work depending on whether the file(s) which were corrupt/erased as part of the failed update are replaced as part of the OS Combined Update installation.

Good luck!!!!!!

rritterson
Jun 12, 2012, 11:43 AM
I came back to a single dialog box that said that the update couldn't be applied. I rebooted the machine (hitting OK simply removed the dialog box but didn't reboot on its own for at least 5 minutes) and got the "driver not found" kernel panic on the next (and 3 other) attempt to boot.

I had several "xxx.pkg" could not be found on acdn.xxx.com errors yesterday while trying to install updates, plus updates that would pop up on one computer but not other even though the update was compatible with both (iTunes 10.6.3 for example). It looks like the Apple SU CDN got out of sync for some time.

I wonder if your issue is related to a partial download of the update followed by SU going ahead and trying to apply what it downloaded, leaving you with a half-installed update. It would explain why the poster below was able to fix the problem with a re-application of the 10.7.4 combo update.

borostef
Jun 12, 2012, 11:49 AM
I installed this update before I saw this article... Luckily, everything seems to be fine so far...
I have Mid 2011 Mac Mini, and had an external monitor plugged
into the thunderbolt port while doing the update, no issues so far.

Macman45
Jun 12, 2012, 11:50 AM
One thing about last night, and on all keynote days as well is you KNOW the servers are going to be red-lining. I normally leave it until the next day to do the updates, but since I was still reading the WWDC stuff, decided to do my MBP and iMac whilst reading on my MBA...Both machines updated perfectly, but the downloads were of course painfully slow.

I did my MBA this morning, super quick, also no issues. Non of this had been posted then anyway, and I have a Pegasus R4 attached to my iMac....I shut it down before updating, but boy would I feel super angry if the T/Bolt update had trashed data on that array. Hope those with issues get things sorted out without too much hassle....Re-installaing Lion sucks.

MattMJB0188
Jun 12, 2012, 11:53 AM
Who even uses Thunerbolt anyway?

lilo777
Jun 12, 2012, 11:53 AM
I have not had any problems with Windows updates for many years. OS/X is really turning into a nightmare. Gimmicky features, crashes, botched updates, malware - you name it.

iZac
Jun 12, 2012, 11:54 AM
Installed.
Restarted.
THEN read this article! :rolleyes:

Luckily everything's fine with this 2011 13" MBA ...

Rocketman
Jun 12, 2012, 11:57 AM
Isn't it true the TB to EN dongle doesn't even exist yet, making this update both hazardous and useless?

Interesting cost benefit for a widely distributed update.

Love TidBits. I am not sure I was there for year one but shortly thereafter and for the first 10 years solid.

Rocketman

Macman45
Jun 12, 2012, 11:58 AM
Who even uses Thunerbolt anyway?

Many people do now...I have an R4 attached to my iMac....I would have been really mad if that had been effected....Phew..

bakerzdosen
Jun 12, 2012, 12:01 PM
I had several "xxx.pkg" could not be found on acdn.xxx.com errors yesterday while trying to install updates, plus updates that would pop up on one computer but not other even though the update was compatible with both (iTunes 10.6.3 for example). It looks like the Apple SU CDN got out of sync for some time.

I wonder if your issue is related to a partial download of the update followed by SU going ahead and trying to apply what it downloaded, leaving you with a half-installed update. It would explain why the poster below was able to fix the problem with a re-application of the 10.7.4 combo update.

I'm not ruling anything out. It could have been a partially downloaded package. It could have been the fact that I was using the Thunderbolt port at the time. It could have been... well, anything. I don't know. I wasn't sitting there watching as closely as I'd like (knowing what I know now). I've never had a failure like this in all my years with Macs, so I certainly didn't expect it now.

sweetbrat
Jun 12, 2012, 12:02 PM
So glad to see this article! I have an early 2011 at home that I use for my business, and hubby has an early 2011 that's his work machine. Called him at the office and told him not to do the update (he usually does them pretty quickly after they show up). He's passing the info on to the people at his office, so hopefully they'll continue to have a productive day.

PBG4 Dude
Jun 12, 2012, 12:02 PM
Isn't it true the TB to EN dongle doesn't even exist yet, making this update both hazardous and useless?

Interesting cost benefit for a widely distributed update.

Love TidBits. I am not sure I was there for year one but shortly thereafter and for the first 10 years solid.

Rocketman

You're thinking of TB to FW800, which won't be available until next month. TB to EN are in stock now.

TheMythTheMan
Jun 12, 2012, 12:06 PM
I'm still using my 2006 White MacBook. Doesn't even support OS X Lion, which I think is actually a feature. :D

That computer runs lion perfectly fine buddy...

blakey91
Jun 12, 2012, 12:07 PM
happened to me too, taken hours to restore from time machine backup, Absolutely silly.

baruch
Jun 12, 2012, 12:07 PM
So far so good...rebooted twice since installing the update, no problem. Early 2011 15" MBP 10.7.4

SugaredJuggler
Jun 12, 2012, 12:11 PM
I just updated my early 2011 15" MacBook Pro and it seems to be running just fine. Knock on wood.

jclardy
Jun 12, 2012, 12:12 PM
Installed this on my Sandy Bridge Air 11" with no issues so far. Lucky me I guess, I haven't had a gray screen since my first gen MacBook.

rmwebs
Jun 12, 2012, 12:16 PM
This is why I dont download Apple updates on day 1 - you can NEVER trust them. The cocked up 10.7.3 release was evidence of that.

Djavaman
Jun 12, 2012, 12:17 PM
My 17" MacBook Pro purchased in April 2011 is working fine with the updates.

phrk
Jun 12, 2012, 12:17 PM
I have major problems after this update on my Macbook Pro 13" early 2011

Updated this morning (external Display was plugged into the Thunderbolt-Port). Update didn't finish. So I turned off my mac and turned it on again. Wont boot keeps showing the grey apple logo and the spinning wheel.
Tried save mode, install from Time Machine backup. Failed and I got the folder icon with a questionmark. So I used Internetrecovery. Installed Lion - fails again.
Don't know what to do anymore :confused:

Here is the error message:
http://www.abload.de/thumb/foto11lgd27.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=foto11lgd27.jpg)

smartalic34
Jun 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
No issues so far with early 2011 13" MBP... I wish I had seen this before I installed the update.

Maybe I'll do a combo updater just to be safe...

fel10
Jun 12, 2012, 12:25 PM
Count me as one of the people having issues. I have a early 2011 MBP. Guess its only effect the early 2011 models.

Howard Ellacott
Jun 12, 2012, 12:25 PM
Fine for MBP Late 2011

DisMyMac
Jun 12, 2012, 12:26 PM
Downloaded, clicked 'install', haven't restart yet.

What should I do?

tomcoolj
Jun 12, 2012, 12:31 PM
Looks like Apple have removed the update from software update?

cecemf
Jun 12, 2012, 12:31 PM
No issue here !

Roc P.
Jun 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
Well, looks like I'm gonna wait. What the heck man, every time there's an update now we gotta be worried its going to break our computers?

Pock
Jun 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
No problems here - 2011 iMac 21.5"

fishmoose
Jun 12, 2012, 12:35 PM
I think it was pulled just now, I installed the other updates from yesterday and todays iMovie update but unchecked the Thunderbolt update. Everything went fine and when I went back to check again, my Mac tells me there's no update right now.

thestickman
Jun 12, 2012, 12:35 PM
No issues on my MBA, thankfully.

Mister Mirth
Jun 12, 2012, 12:42 PM
Every iMac in our office had a kernel panic error this morning. Reimaging them now......

Thanks for a wasted day Apple!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

NathanRM
Jun 12, 2012, 12:44 PM

After running several utilities on the partition I was still unable to get it to boot, without experiencing the Kernel Panic immediately after seeing the Apple logo screen.

I didn't want to reinstall Lion, because I didn't want to go through the process of having to reinstall all my apps etc.

Here's what I did to fix my problem. Fortunately this worked on the first try, and no ill affects have been seen since.

1 - from a different computer running the same OS as the one that is corrupt, go to Apple Support site, download latest Combined Update installer
5 - on secondary Mac run Combined Updater, be sure to change installation location when prompted to your externally attached corrupt Mac

This method may or may not work depending on whether the file(s) which were corrupt/erased as part of the failed update are replaced as part of the OS Combined Update installation.

Good luck!!!!!!

I can confirm, this DOES work. No need to use the recovery partition, re-install Lion, etc...

There are 2 links here, one for the Client (normal) version of the 10.7.4 Combo Update, and one for the Server version... I did not lose any data here... Safari tabs, Finder windows, etc, were all still there! Best of luck!

10.7.4 Client: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1524
10.7.4 Server: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1529

Bishop604
Jun 12, 2012, 12:45 PM
I ran into this problem this morning when updating my iMac, The best and fastest fix for me was to put the computer into Target disk mode by holding "T" on USB wired keyboard, connect a firewire or thunderbolt cable to a 2nd mac and download the Mac OS X 10.7.4 Combo update, choose other install location and pick your now mounted affected Mac, run the combo update, unmount, reboot computer, Fixed, Rerun updates, but do not install the thunderbolt to Gigabit update until apple fixes this issue.

Cheers

xcfmx
Jun 12, 2012, 12:46 PM
Every iMac in our office had a kernel panic error this morning. Reimaging them now......

Thanks for a wasted day Apple!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

No business should be implementing 0-day patches without proper testing.

keysersoze
Jun 12, 2012, 12:48 PM
Has anyone WITHOUT an external monitor attached via the TB port, during this update, had their Mac kernal panic?

jsf8x
Jun 12, 2012, 12:53 PM
Worked fine for me. Late 2011 MBP on OS X 10.7.4

codymac
Jun 12, 2012, 12:53 PM
Has anyone WITHOUT an external monitor attached via the TB port, during this update, had their Mac kernal panic?

Early 2011 15" MBP, yes - no external display.

chaynes
Jun 12, 2012, 12:54 PM
I just started the update process and let it run. It took a long time, went through the gray screen , the blue screen, back to the gray screen... eventually it went to the desktop and all is well.

keysersoze
Jun 12, 2012, 12:56 PM
Early 2011 15" MBP, yes - no external display.

Thanks~
Will steer clear of this one.

jamesryanbell
Jun 12, 2012, 12:58 PM
Steering clear of this one. Needs to be right on first.

spcdust
Jun 12, 2012, 01:15 PM

Had the Kernel Panic on my 2011 27" iMac, nothing connected to the Thunderbolt ports.

daneoni
Jun 12, 2012, 01:21 PM
Early 2011 MBP 15". Zero issues with any/all updates from yesterday.

Jun 12, 2012, 01:24 PM
It just works.

Well, it DID work for me. No issues to report on my 2011 iMac, with ALL updates released yesterday.

class77
Jun 12, 2012, 01:31 PM
Update killed my husband's 17" MBP(mid 2011). He's at the Apple store right now getting it remedied.

JamietheMac
Jun 12, 2012, 01:38 PM
Shoddy Q&A

especially when you consider the price they charge for there systems.

adnbek
Jun 12, 2012, 01:41 PM
Phew... No issues on my Mini 2011 or early 2011 13" MBP.

Lately, with all of these issues with Apple updates, I really need to stop this habit of updating right away.

jdrtina
Jun 12, 2012, 01:41 PM
I wish I would have seen this before I ran Software Update on my 2011 15" MBP last night. Every restart resulted in a Kernel Panic.

I finally started up from my original install (Snow Leopard) disk, did a disk restore (Lion) from my last Time Machine backup, and could finally start up from the MBP.

It worked, and it could have been worse -- but I wasted a couple of hours getting to the point at which I could again start my computer.

Macman45
Jun 12, 2012, 01:42 PM
Update killed my husband's 17" MBP(mid 2011). He's at the Apple store right now getting it remedied.

You see, that's what I just don't get about this....I have a mid 2011 17" too, and it updated fine....this is starting to look a little like partial or corrupt downloads....The servers were super slow...looks like some people got lucky and others got grief....Just not good enough. If you don't have the bandwidth and server capacity to accommodate everybody, then damn well say so. I'd rather see a dialogue box telling me to try later, than have to re install Lion on three Macs and restore everything.

drimmen
Jun 12, 2012, 01:43 PM
I was bit by the update, and just noticed they pulled it from the Software Update list today.

Our thread from last night:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1384427

AnonMac50
Jun 12, 2012, 01:51 PM
2011 iMac 3.4GHz 10.7.4, updated without issue

For all I love about the Mac, the OS, compared to Windows, really seems like amateur hour way too often. If you disagree, make sure you're not mentally stuck in 95 and XP land.

In my XP years I certainly had my fair share of blue screens. However, in the two years I've been using Windows 7, with the same workflow as before (programming and graphics production), I had one crash, and that was because I accidentally knocked a PCIE card out of its slot. In the year I've been using OS X I've had to restart the Finder countless times, had Time Machine corruption on several occasions, and have to deal with "lazy" updating of the filesystem's "visual" state.

There are certainly things I like more about OS X, and that's why I'm still using it, but it really is a technically less sophisticated and more chaotic environment than Windows. Being technically less advanced isn't a negative, rather I can't get over that updates screw things up so often, especially given that Apple has way more control over the environment than MS does. Updates in Windows 7, which were much more frequent than for OS X, *never* disrupted the OS, and never even my most obscure 3rd party software utilities and apps.

I continue to use OS X because overall I like the feel of it more, and of course for the Apple ecosystem, but I do so with a constant background tension of whether or not it will remain stable.

Well said

gonzoh
Jun 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
After update I had a KP and am now in process of doing a Time Machine restore.

Not a great way to start the day!

bbeagle
Jun 12, 2012, 01:59 PM

Lion will not install on the Mid-2006 White MacBook. Maybe if you do some sort of hack, but by default, it will not install.

Processors Apple will officially support Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on are:

Any Core 2 Duo processor
Any Xeon Dual Core or better processor
Any Intel i3, i5 or i7 processor

- Processors Apple will not officially support Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on are:

Any PowerPC processor
An Intel Mac from the following:
iMac 4,1 2006 17″ / 20″
iMac 4,2 2006 17″
Mac Mini 1,1 Early & Late 2006
MacBook 1,1 13″ Mid-2006
MacBook Pro 1,1 15″ A1150 2006
MacBook Pro 1,2 17″ A1151 2006
MacBook Pro 1,1 15″ 2006

OverSpun
Jun 12, 2012, 02:07 PM
I just went to check the software update... I have a 8,2 15" late '11 MBP and I don't even see any thunderbolt updates. Hmm.

I only saw iTunes and and Airport update. I guess its not for my machine? :rolleyes:

macmasterxiv
Jun 12, 2012, 02:09 PM
Early 2011 MacBook Pro

This happened to me and it was ugly. The update finished but didn't restart the computer. I manually restarted which then threw me into an inifinite Apple logo boot screen. I ran Disk Utility to try to fix the issue and that made the problem worse. Now I would get a Kernel Panic the second the Apple logo showed up. Since I didn't have any important data on the machine I wiped the drive and did a clean install. The Thunderbolt update worked without issue on a fresh install.

Pipper99
Jun 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
I was bit by the update, and just noticed they pulled it from the Software Update list today.

Our thread from last night:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1384427

Whew!

andymodem
Jun 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
Glad after I applied the Aperture update, I didn't install the Thunderbolt update on my Mini 2011.

smartalic34
Jun 12, 2012, 02:14 PM
I just went to check the software update... I have a 8,2 15" late '11 MBP and I don't even see any thunderbolt updates. Hmm.

I only saw iTunes and and Airport update. I guess its not for my machine? :rolleyes:

It's been pulled...

castlema
Jun 12, 2012, 02:30 PM

I had a the kp show up after attempting this on a 27" i7 iMac. I restored Lion and it seems to be working fine now.

macbook pro i5
Jun 12, 2012, 02:44 PM

This what happens to me,good to know I wasn't the only one!

charlituna
Jun 12, 2012, 02:47 PM
Common apple.. your better then this..

Until we know what the issue is, it's hard to say that it is Apple's fault

brdeveloper
Jun 12, 2012, 02:49 PM

Me too with my late 2009 White MB running Snow Leopard with a few tweaks (like TotalFinder). Not planning to upgrade until the availability of a retina 13" MBP for an affordable price.

sapporobaby
Jun 12, 2012, 02:51 PM
Until we know what the issue is, it's hard to say that it is Apple's fault

They released the software. Come on dude...

----------

Just read about a fix for the KP's...

Download the 10.7.4 Combo Update and run it. It reinstalls the old TB Kext and over writes the problem child....

You can get the info here.http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57451440-263/thunderbolt-update-plaguing-macbook-pros-with-kernel-panics/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

xgman
Jun 12, 2012, 02:53 PM
has this happened to anyone on a manual download?

sapporobaby
Jun 12, 2012, 02:55 PM
has this happened to anyone on a manual download?

What?

roadbloc
Jun 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
Oops...

chadua
Jun 12, 2012, 03:17 PM

If it is the original 2006 one it only had a core duo processor in it not the core 2 duo and doesn't meet the system requirements. I dunno if it can be made to run it or not.

nickovs
Jun 12, 2012, 03:27 PM
Among the many software updates Apple has been pushing out associated with yesterday's keynote announcements, Thunderbolt Software Update 1.2 (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1544) is a relatively minor 537 KB download offered to provide support for the company's new

It appears that Apple have pulled the update. Currently that link is serving up the error message: "We're sorry. We can't find the article you're looking for."

kustardking
Jun 12, 2012, 03:32 PM
No business should be implementing 0-day patches without proper testing.

And no business should be providing patches without properly testing them before release. This is a pattern with Apple, and it's pretty lame. They need to spend some of their $ on QA.

sy0296
Jun 12, 2012, 04:18 PM
got lucky here as well...and breathing a sigh of relief as i don't have time for computer issues right now with a up coming overseas business trip right around the corner.

august build mac mini + august build MBP 15"

iMac mini
Jun 12, 2012, 04:30 PM
No problems on my late 2011 Mac mini 10.7.4

TsMkLg068426
Jun 12, 2012, 04:50 PM
So no new iMac for their own mistakes?:mad: Would be fair for their mistakes.

tbealmear
Jun 12, 2012, 05:08 PM
I chose to do the Reinstall Mac OS X option from the recovery tool (Command+R at boot) and everything is fine. Reinstalled OS X without messing with my data at all. Took a little bit and have to reinstall some updates/java/etc but its all working. Im gonna hold off on any thunderbolt updates for the time being (I don't use it anyway, just the display port chunk.)

Pr0digy
Jun 12, 2012, 05:22 PM
Apple has removed the update from Software Update, at least this will spare those lucky enough to not have updated yet.

Cantisama
Jun 12, 2012, 05:48 PM
Happened to my early 2011 MBP when I tried updating early this morning. I didn't read about reinstalling Lion though, instead I went straight to a time machine backup. That's when I found out that part of my backup is corrupt (it's a backup I made the night before, and I have never received an error message from time machine).

So yeah, fun times. The failed restore wiped my drive so I couldn't try a Lion reinstall. I just finished installing Lion and am using migration assistant to see if it has better luck than restore.

Lessons learned:
-Can no longer blindly trust Apple updates. Like Windows, I will wait a few days before applying new updates.
-Cannot trust time machine backups. Will need to make a secondary backup for critical data.

-Update-
Migration assistant worked, back to old self. *sigh* That was scary for a while.

ezekielrage_99
Jun 12, 2012, 06:28 PM

Same, got one on my Mac Mini :(

adeedew
Jun 12, 2012, 06:43 PM

Good luck!!!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! You saved my ass and many calls to clueless support, this worked! And thanks to the other poster who put up the link too, here's it is: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1524?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Follow this above and it worked for me, macbook pro late 2011 came back to life, still shows i have the software updated needed on what killed it last night, but i'll try, at least i know what to do if it happens again.

laflores
Jun 12, 2012, 07:02 PM
I downloaded the thunderbolt update this morning, installed it, but I didn't reboot.
After I read that some people may have problems after the installation, I downloaded the 10.7.4 combo update, installed it, and then I rebooted my computer. I had no problem.
I can't say if I was going to have a problem rebooting after the thunderbolt update, but if my solution works for anybody else, I'm glad.

bijju
Jun 12, 2012, 07:26 PM
Fx*****ig apple F x*****ed me up with this update... Panic Screen on my Early 2011 17" MB Pro. i don't want to reinstall whole os.

dreamora
Jun 12, 2012, 07:33 PM
The easier solution to the problem is to simply restore from TimeMachine

I ran into it myself and wasted a good day trying to get the acpi driver up alive otherwise but even with the kext present there is something deeper down the road that breaks it.

AidenShaw
Jun 12, 2012, 09:07 PM

Good luck!!!!!!

Can we now officially retire the "it just works" tagline? :rolleyes:

justperry
Jun 13, 2012, 04:10 AM
You see, that's what I just don't get about this....I have a mid 2011 17" too, and it updated fine....this is starting to look a little like partial or corrupt downloads....The servers were super slow...looks like some people got lucky and others got grief....Just not good enough. If you don't have the bandwidth and server capacity to accommodate everybody, then damn well say so. I'd rather see a dialogue box telling me to try later, than have to re install Lion on three Macs and restore everything.

Nonsense, Software Update checks the downloaded file/verifies the package.

They released the software. Come on dude...

----------

Just read about a fix for the KP's...

Download the 10.7.4 Combo Update and run it. It reinstalls the old TB Kext and over writes the problem child....

You can get the info here.http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57451440-263/thunderbolt-update-plaguing-macbook-pros-with-kernel-panics/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

If that is the problem then if you have a recent backup and can start up from that backup then it can be fixed even faster than applying the combo update.

Start up from back up, log into root(must be enabled) and copy over the TB kext from the backup to the corrupted install, restart and it should be fixed.

That's a reason why I always have a recent backup(Non Timemachine) and be able to fix things much faster.

If I had this installer I would open it with Pacifist and look what was actually installed and then copy all the old files on backup back to the main install, problem fixed.
5 minute fix! Instead of complete Reinstall or Combo update.
Especially when on a slow internet connection.

JonB3Z
Jun 13, 2012, 06:48 AM

Good luck!!!!!!

This worked for me, too, on my mid-2011 iMac, with the exception that since I'm actually booting from my TB drive but still have the OS installed on the internal HD, I didn't have to mess with a second Mac. Instead, I option-booted from the internal drive and from there downloaded and installed the 10.7.4 combo updater package onto the external TB drive.

TsunamiTheClown
Jun 13, 2012, 07:14 AM
Thunderbolt on the network. Why? Can u say bottleneck?

Sylon
Jun 13, 2012, 07:32 AM
So this could be interesting. I never checked for any updates since the Keynote, nor after hearing about the Thunderbolt problem, I never had time with work. I just checked it this morning, no update for Thunderbolt. Just iTunes, Java and Air Port Utility.

Did the late 2011 MBP's get the update? Or did Apple pull the update due to the problems?

theSeb
Jun 13, 2012, 07:33 AM
So this could be interesting. I never checked for any updates since the Keynote, nor after hearing about the Thunderbolt problem, I never had time with work. I just checked it this morning, no update for Thunderbolt. Just iTunes, Java and Airplay.

Did the late 2011 MBP's get the update? Or did Apple pull the update due to the problems?

Update has been pulled including the direct download link.

Sylon
Jun 13, 2012, 08:01 AM

Good, glad Apple was quick on that one. Not quick enough though.

vom
Jun 13, 2012, 08:42 AM
I have a mid-2011 MBA 13. My TB gigabit adapter will be delivered today. Been reading all this info this morning, and I guess as of right now I need to wait to even try it (since Apple pulled the questionable update).

Also, a very unscientific metric, but scanning threads and comments on this issue makes it look like it's folks with MBP's mostly having the issue ?

In any case, I'm going to keep watching this thread. Hopefully they will QA the driver a bit more on a wider range of machines (how on earth do they NOT do this in the first place ?) and get a newer version out soon.

alexhutnik
Jun 13, 2012, 09:58 AM
I've fixed the problem without needing a second Mac running Lion (target disk mode) or reinstalling altogether:

http://www.alexhutnik.com/2012/06/13/how-to-fix-kernel-panic-from-thunderbolt-update-1-2-without-reinstalling-os-x-lion-or-booting-from-another-mac/

Short version:
1. In recovery mode, grab 10.7.4 combo update. Save to an external USB drive.
2. Mount it from the Terminal.
3. Install the .pkg file contained therein.
4. Reboot.

CWallace
Jun 13, 2012, 11:08 AM

I noticed that when I ran SWU on my iMac and MBA - not that I was going to install them until I heard Apple had issued a new version.

Jun 13, 2012, 01:59 PM
Can we now officially retire the "it just works" tagline? :rolleyes:

Again, it DID work for me...but perhaps we should start using the same taglines YOU love to employ for Windows 7, Aiden:

"BSODs don't exist in Windows 7; they only happen if you [fill the blank with lame excuses]" :rolleyes:

tbrinkma
Jun 13, 2012, 03:55 PM
I have the last pre-Thunderbolt MBP, so I won't be bitten by this, but my best guess at this point is something like the Tiger(?) upgrade issue, where there is some reasonably widespread, but not terribly common piece of hardware or software which includes a driver or something which is the root cause of the issue. Unfortunately, there's no way Apple can test their upgrades with every third-party driver out there, so these will happen some times. Based on the info Apple receives from bug reports and peoples' trips to the Genius Bar, they'll isolate the cause, and update the patch with a fix before releasing it again.

But, it's just a guess.

chadua
Jun 14, 2012, 08:33 AM
Nonsense, Software Update checks the downloaded file/verifies the package.

So does iTunes, and I've gotten bad iTunes tracks before. [Granted they could have been bad uploads that were fixed by the time CS gave me a credit to re-download]

AidenShaw
Jun 14, 2012, 09:26 AM
...but perhaps we should start using the same taglines YOU love to employ for Windows 7, Aiden:

"BSODs don't exist in Windows 7; they only happen if you [fill the blank with lame excuses]" :rolleyes:

Do you really consider "bad RAM" to be a "lame excuse"? Really?

And the discussion was with someone complaining of frequent BSODs, not the rare BSOD.

In general, Windows 7 doesn't BSOD any more often than Apple OSX kernel panics.... They are rare events on both systems unless you have bad hardware or you've installed bad drivers/kexts.

bcc9
Jun 14, 2012, 04:38 PM
If I had this installer I would open it with Pacifist and look what was actually installed and then copy all the old files on backup back to the main install, problem fixed.

All the thunderbolt update does is replace /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext with a new version that supports the PCI ID for the new adapter.
So that kext is all one would need to backup/restore to get around any crash.
I simply backed up that kext plugin on the local filesystem, and if I had problems with the update (I did not), I could have restored the old version from single user mode.
No need to reinstall OSX or the 10.7.4 update, or use targeted disk mode.

aswitzer
Jun 14, 2012, 05:29 PM

Good luck!!!!!!

HUGE thank you for posting this solution.

The update caused the failed update and kernel panic for me on reboot with my early 2011 iMac 27".

Followed the above steps and I'm back to a functional iMac again, thankfully without having to reinstall OSX Lion.