Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Incredible:
Jef Goldbam is gay so macs is too
You didnt refuse me points so they true
macs suck pcs rule deerrrrrr

All of the PC users on this forum are apparantley 12 year olds failing all of their classes who just learned what gay means.

Tomasz

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
Berkeley, California
That was pathetic. I think they are 12 year olds that don't know anything about computers. Their entire argument consists of macs are better... no pcs are better.... no macs are better.

Give me a break.

Tomasz

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I dunno, I'd like to see an actual debate here between mac and pc, but between people who can actually read farther in to a comment than the letters presented to them and maybe actually form a coherent argument.

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
i just posted @ that stupid forum and joined the war, anyway please read it, i posted under the same name i use here, and give me some constructive criticiszm or however you spell it.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
At least on a Mac forum users generally avoid posting if they don't know anything about a topic.David: don't even bother responding,they won't listen to any logic if it disagrees with their immature ideas.

Pathetic

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Just in case I get involved in one of these...

...here's how I understand the current standings (DP 800 vs AthlonXP2000+/Pentium 4 2.2GHz. Mac OS X.12 for the mac, WinXP for the PCs):

OS stability: Both good, not sure which is better right now

OS ease-of-use: undecided, I like OSX, but some people hate the dock, think it's slow, etc... WinXP has some problems like slower internet, driver signing, activation, etc...

OS power: Mac, command line, SMP, UNIX programs, plug-and-play clustering, built in Apache, etc...

OS Appearance: Mac (Obviously)

OS Performance: PC, all that OSX eye candy has a price.

Free software: Mac, iPhoto, iDvd, iMovie, iTunes, etc... Wins by a lot.

Performance (using PC133, DDR, and RDRAM respectively): For photoshop and other Altivec enabled tasks the G4 wins hands down, for anything else I think the AthlonXP 2000+ wins by a bit. For sheer performance (instead of performace per dollar) I think the 2.2GHz Pentium 4 wins by a very small margin on non-Altivec tasks (source: Tom's Hardware did a very nice comparison review of the 2.2GHz P4 and the AthlonXP2000+)

Hard Drive: equal, 80GB 7200rpm is about as good as you're going to find on a PC.

RAM: PC, PCs are starting to come with 512MBs of DDR or RDRAM, compared to 256MBs PC133 in the G4/

Graphics Card: PC, the GeForce 2mx is a low end card in the PC world. GeForce 3 or better on a high end PC.

Optical Drive: Mac, PCs with anything like a superdrive are very rare and expensive.

Ports: Mac, PCs only rarely have firewire

Floppy Drive: Mac, floppies are out of date.

Networking: Mac, Gigabit ethernet, AirPort.

Clustering: Mac. AppleSeed makes it very easy, someone recently got 233GFlops on a 100Bt ethernet G4 cluster and said that their results implied no intrinsic limit on the size of a Mac cluster.

Software Support: PC, by a tiny bit. Most of the additional software PCs have is junk, but they have some specialty apps.

Hardware Support: PC, custom PCs are such a big market that there's tons of stuff out there for them, Macs aren't bad though.

Reliability: Mac

Customer Support: Mac

Hardware Appearance: Mac

Price: about the same, leaning towards PC. If you get a PC with equivalent hardware and software (including a nice case), it's roughly the same.

Value: Mac, roughly the same price, lasts longer.

Feel free to correct, disagree with, or add to this list.

G

GATESSON

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, they actually are all 12 year olds. Note the topic ladder at the top of the site: YOUTH OF THE NATION. There won't be much anyone in there who knows anything so lets just ignore the site.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

whoever posted that = challagened of the world outside their computer

Atleast my cousin (who can beat out any computer geek geekaly) knows something outside the computer world.

U

unregistered

I don't think they're 12 year olds - probably 9 - judging by their comments, they obviously haven't started going through puberty.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
riddle me this:

why is it EVERY SINGLE TIME i go to news.com, i see "Glitch halts Windows XP updates", "Worm poses as Microsoft update", "New MS Security Hole", etc...

i would love to ask all these pc jerks why, after SO many years, Microsoft still can't create an OS thats remotely safe. XP was supposed to be SO secure. It's about as secure as a screen door in a hurricane.

pcs - they are everywhere, but that doesn't mean they don't suck.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Misinformed souls

I cannot believe how mislead some of the people on that forum are! You see crap like "macs are bad at multitasking" when we're running BSD UNIX and they're running NT! OMG, these ppl scare me - lets keep them away from here.

V

vector

Someone need to go in there and shatter there ignorance. Help them out. Bring them to the light. Do you all want them to fumble around in the darkeness forever? Have you all any sympthy for these kids.

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
um no

sorry guy but they may or may not be 12 year olds but the "youth of the nation" thing is cuz its a p.o.d. (the christian band) website and there big song right now is this anti-school shooting song called youth of the nation but also I agree with you most of those people including the GUI guy are pretty dumb except desertwarrior he may be somewhat knowlageable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.