Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I am really PO'ed that they haven't released the firmware update for the 3G iPods yet. I want to be able to upload podcasts to my iPod. It really sucks that my 3G iPod is no longer supported by Apple and it is only 15 months old. This makes me really hesistant to pull the trigger on buying a new Mac.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
iTunes can transfer podcasts to 3G iPods just fine, and 3G iPods can play them just fine.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I know that the click wheel models pushed podcasts into a separate menu, but what is the problem with navigating by "artist" and track? It works fine here.

The processor in the 3G and earlier iPods really does have memory limitations because of the way its cache works. It really is possible that Apple can't stuff more into the menus without running into skipping/pausing problems (the limit before that becomes a problem is a mere 96K).

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
iMeowbot said:
I know that the click wheel models pushed podcasts into a separate menu, but what is the problem with navigating by "artist" and track? It works fine here.

The processor in the 3G and earlier iPods really does have memory limitations because of the way its cache works. It really is possible that Apple can't stuff more into the menus without running into skipping/pausing problems (the limit before that becomes a problem is a mere 96K).
Interesting.... they managed to release an update a few months ago that added the "shuffle songs" and "music" options to the menu, I'm still hoping they'll add "podcast" at some point.

Skubish: it's an iPod. A consumer electronics device. It's not a computer. One should not affect the other in your purchasing decisions. Although it does.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
hob said:
Interesting.... they managed to release an update a few months ago that added the "shuffle songs" and "music" options to the menu, I'm still hoping they'll add "podcast" at some point.
It would be nice, but I have the suspicion that it may be a Hard Problem, especially given the lag time in getting those menus crammed into the older units (it wasn't a long enough delay, or even a big enough feature, to prompt people into buying newer equipment).

That Apple went to the trouble to implement a separate download method in iTunes for the older iPod models, one that isn't supported on click wheel models, suggests that the problem may have been too hard to solve.

wbsmith89

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2004
That Apple went to the trouble to implement a separate download method in iTunes for the older iPod models, one that isn't supported on click wheel models, suggests that the problem may have been too hard to solve.

or that they wanted to make sure they still supported 4G owners that havent updated to the latest software yet (the 4G does the playlist thing too if you haven't upgraded)...

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
wbsmith89 said:
or that they wanted to make sure they still supported 4G owners that havent updated to the latest software yet (the 4G does the playlist thing too if you haven't upgraded)...
Good point! I hadn't considered that.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Westside guy said:
I'm a little confused - I've got a 3G iPod, and I've got a Podcast playlist that's generated by subscribing to podcasts through iTunes. What exactly is it I'm missing?

Basically, when you click on music, there are the usual artist, album, songs, and then they added Podcasts. It's really not that big of a deal.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Westside guy said:
I'm a little confused - I've got a 3G iPod, and I've got a Podcast playlist that's generated by subscribing to podcasts through iTunes. What exactly is it I'm missing?
A separate menu for podcasts, and bookmarking them.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
My mistake. I guess it wasn't clear to me that you could just download the podcasts like regular songs. I though you needed the firmware update. I guess I should have tried it first. It still would be nice to have the podcast option in the menu though.

I am happy to listen to podcasts now :D

Thanks all

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
People seem to have forgotten that the 3G iPod is no longer sold by Apple - it hasn't been for about a year now. Why should they spend the time to develop an update?

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
tomjleeds said:
People seem to have forgotten that the 3G iPod is no longer sold by Apple - it hasn't been for about a year now. Why should they spend the time to develop an update?
Huh, do you want to say that Apple should only support current products? And as soon as one product isn't sold anymore, it shouldn't be supported anymore either?

This would even mean end of support for PPC Macs soon. I don't think Apple can survive doing this.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Veldek said:
Huh, do you want to say that Apple should only support current products? And as soon as one product isn't sold anymore, it shouldn't be supported anymore either?

This would even mean end of support for PPC Macs soon. I don't think Apple can survive doing this.

The thing is that it is NOT a computer. Name me one cell phone maufacturer that still releases firmware upgrades for last year's models...

skubish

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
tomjleeds said:

Umm because I paid for the iPod. Apple is under no obligation to provide updates but I may look elsewhere in the future. Part of what makes iPod cool is all the updates and the iTMS integration without that it is just another mp3 player.

If a company has a history of orphaning their products as soon as you buy them, I won't do business with that company. I don't think it is a lot to ask for updates for 1 year or so after the 4G came out.

Don't get me wrong, I like Apple...I just don't drink the cool-aid.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Diatribe said:
The thing is that it is NOT a computer. Name me one cell phone maufacturer that still releases firmware upgrades for last year's models...
There are firmware upgrades for cell phones?

But you have a point. If there are new functions in a new model, this doesn't mean the company has to put them into the old models. I agree.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Veldek said:
There are firmware upgrades for cell phones?

But you have a point. If there are new functions in a new model, this doesn't mean the company has to put them into the old models. I agree.

Yes, there are but you can apply that to anything. Stereo-receivers, cell phones, wireless routers, etc.
As soon as there is a new model out the firmware support for the old one gets cut. That's the way it is. I know people expect more from Apple than any other company but this is just the way it works.
And it has been over a year... and it's not even that they don't play podcasts, so I don't really understand the whining. (Not you Veldek, just saying in general) :)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
iMeowbot said:
A separate menu for podcasts, and bookmarking them.

Thanks - I guess I can see why some people would care, but to me this basically doesn't matter in the least. When I initially subscribed to a few podcasts a "Podcast" playlist was automatically created on my 3G, and that's pretty much how I expected/hoped it would work (since basically that's how I think of podcasts - a narrowly-defined playlist category).

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
i still know a ton of people that think the first ipods were the 3g's... when they see those older ones from 01' they freak and say "no way dude" hehe :eek:

AdamZ

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
First Generation iPod now working!!

Like you guys I was totaly pissed off that Apple didn't update Podcast support across the entire line of iPods. I have a 1st gen iPod that I bought shortly after release that is still actually working well. Anyway, I looked over the particular update for my iPod and it was still the same number release, with no change. So pissed! I tried to sync Podcasts anyway, and it froze during the first one. So I turned off Podcast Syncing and sat around pissed off for a week or so. I mean Podcasts are kinda lame at home to listen to. There not like music that plays in the backround. You actually have to concentrate on listening to them, and seem to be best suited for the car or on our iPods. Podcasts totally fill that viod from being your own music DJ, to wanting to listen to Talk Radio with no radio. So anyway, last week I just said screw it and tried it again. I was enjoying the content Podcasts deliver, but they didn't fit into my home schedule. And wouldn't you know it.....it WORKS!! I am not sure what happened, I didn't do anything different then last time, except maybe a reset of my iPodat some point during that stretch of time, but it works great. Perhaps someone else could weigh in on where the Podcast list appears on 4th gen iPods, but on mine it now appears in the Playlist menu under Music. It will even recognize that I listened to a Podcast, and subsequently erase it from iTunes (I have Keep: all unplayed episodes activated) So I would suggest to all that if you haven't allready tried it, do so. Or try again. Not quite sure how this came to pass but I am extremly happy 'bout it. Apple is brilliant to allow Podcasts on iPods, I can consume much more content when away from the disturbances of home.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
CubaTBird said:
i still know a ton of people that think the first ipods were the 3g's... when they see those older ones from 01' they freak and say "no way dude" hehe :eek:

Yeah I still pull out my old 1G 5GB every so often for that very reason...it's kinda like being in an elite club within a once-elite club. "I had one before they were cool!!!"

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
tomjleeds said:

Oh please, come on now...It's not like I'm asking for an update on my Mac Plus! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.