PDA

View Full Version : Teardown of Mid-2012 MacBook Air Reveals Tweaked SSD Connector

MacRumors
Jun 12, 2012, 12:28 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/teardown-of-mid-2012-macbook-air-reveals-tweaked-ssd-connector/)

The teardown experts at iFixit are currently in the process of taking apart (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Air-13-Inch-Mid-2012-Teardown/9457/1) the new 13-inch MacBook Air released yesterday, and while the machine appears to be only a minor update to the previous model, there are undoubtedly some changes that are worth noting.

The most notable change so far is with the solid-state storage. Apple has tweaked the connector design on the MacBook Air's integrated flash storage, making current replacement and upgrade modules from third parties incompatible with the latest models. Other World Computing has also noted this difference (http://blog.macsales.com/14040-new-2012-macs-means-new-owc-ssd-designs) and indicated that they are working "full steam ahead" on launching new Aura Pro Express SSDs compatible with the 2012 MacBook Air. Apple announced at WWDC that it was using new 500 MBps SSDs in its MacBook Air, and the new connector design is likely to accommodate the faster data transfer capabilities.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/macbook_air_2012_ssd.jpg

Toshiba SSD in Mid-2012 MacBook Air
Beyond the SSD, iFixit has found very few changes to the MacBook Air. The new models incorporate Apple's thinner Magsafe 2 standard (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/retina-display-macbook-pro-includes-thinner-magsafe-2-power-port/) that the company developed as it has sought to find ways to continue reducing the thickness of its notebooks. The new MacBook Air obviously also incorporates Intel's latest Ivy Bridge processors and new 1600 MHz RAM, as well as USB 3.0 support, but these upgrades have yielded very little in terms of changes to the machine's internal layout.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/macbook_air_2012_magsafe_2.jpg

Left I/O board from Mid-2012 MacBook Air, with MagSafe 2 connector at left
iFixit's teardown is still underway, so there may yet be more news to come, and we will update this story with any additional discoveries of note.

Article Link: Teardown of Mid-2012 MacBook Air Reveals Tweaked SSD Connector (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/teardown-of-mid-2012-macbook-air-reveals-tweaked-ssd-connector/)

ECUpirate44
Jun 12, 2012, 12:30 PM
Get on it OWC!

dokujaryu
Jun 12, 2012, 12:31 PM
I'm so jelly of the guys that get to do this for a living.

angemon89
Jun 12, 2012, 12:34 PM
Love these teardowns.

shurcooL
Jun 12, 2012, 12:35 PM
I still don't get the advantages of the new MagSafe 2 port. It's a little thinner, but the original was not thicker than a USB port anyway, so how does making it slightly thinner help at all?

There are disadvantages, including it being wider, creating incompatibility, fall back to T-shaped connector for some reason...

I want to understand in what ways MagSafe 2 is better, anyone have some ideas?

Why would Apple change something unless it's significantly better; they're not known to change things without a good reason.

bryanl
Jun 12, 2012, 12:35 PM
Over the years I've built up quite a collection of MacBook power cords all throughout the house, so I can have power where ever I may be sitting. I wonder how much the MagSafe2 => MagSafe adapters are going to be.

ryansimmons323
Jun 12, 2012, 12:36 PM
ifixit's fingernails aren't as clean as Apple's...

Stetrain
Jun 12, 2012, 12:38 PM
Over the years I've built up quite a collection of MacBook power cords all throughout the house, so I can have power where ever I may be sitting. I wonder how much the MagSafe2 => MagSafe adapters are going to be.

$10: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD504ZM/A

http://store.storeimages.cdn-apple.com/2662/as-images.apple.com/is/image/AppleInc/MD504_AV1?wid=326&hei=326&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp

smithrh
Jun 12, 2012, 12:39 PM
Eagerly anticipating the Retina MBP teardown...

Stetrain
Jun 12, 2012, 12:40 PM
I still don't get the advantages of the new MagSafe 2 port. It's a little thinner, but the original was not thicker than a USB port anyway, so how does making it slightly thinner help at all?

There are disadvantages, including it being wider, creating incompatibility, fall back to T-shaped connector for some reason...

Why would Apple change something unless it's significantly better; they're not known to change things without a good reason.

While the old magsafe wasn't very thick, I think that the physical connector needs more strength around it than a USB port does. If the metal above and below the magsafe were too thin I think it could be damaged over time from the force of the magnet clicking in.

The new design seems to put more emphasis on getting its strength side to side.

JayLenochiniMac
Jun 12, 2012, 12:40 PM
ifixit's fingernails aren't as clean as Apple's...

Can't afford those $3,000 a day hand models.

angemon89
Jun 12, 2012, 12:42 PM

Why would Apple change something unless it's significantly better; they're not known to change things without a good reason.They are undoubtedly setting themselves up for a future of thinner notebooks. Even though the old magsafe would still fit on this macbook, why not just start the transition to the new magsafe now?

Same goes with the iPhone. Apple had to get rid of the 30-pin connector someday.

Lindono
Jun 12, 2012, 12:42 PM

It actually was slightly thicker than a USB port, at least it is on my 2011 MBA. They probably just wanted to make it a little thinner and be done with it. 5 years from now, nobody will care.

finalcut
Jun 12, 2012, 12:45 PM
can't wait to see benchmark on MBA and also MBP new SSD if this is really 500+mbps

TheMacBookPro
Jun 12, 2012, 12:45 PM

But can they afford George Costanza? :p

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 12, 2012, 12:47 PM
Apple should work on making a universal charge/sync cable...

it'd be nice if the iOS devices got something like magsafe...

Edit: Seriously, iOS devices don't need to be plugged in to sync anymore. Why can't they just get magsafe cables for charging? (While we wait for chargers that are cordless.)

UnseenLlama
Jun 12, 2012, 12:51 PM

To fit the new iPhone 5 of course. :D

Bolo4u
Jun 12, 2012, 12:52 PM

But can they afford George Costanza? :p

They might be able to afford Prewitt, from Zoolander.

BradM73
Jun 12, 2012, 12:53 PM
please delete

8CoreWhore
Jun 12, 2012, 12:56 PM

It might have to do with the fact that the "barrel type" acts like a hook when yanked from behind.

Secondly, by going shallower, it releases easier - so less likely to have a fall. The lighter the laptop, the lighter the grip the connector should have.

shurcooL
Jun 12, 2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys, I'm finally starting to see the advantages of MagSafe 2.

I hope they don't change it yet again anytime soon, so I can start hoarding many power adapters. I like being able to use them interchangeably.

bryanl
Jun 12, 2012, 01:04 PM
$10: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD504ZM/A

Image (http://store.storeimages.cdn-apple.com/2662/as-images.apple.com/is/image/AppleInc/MD504_AV1?wid=326&hei=326&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp)

Well in that case I have no reasons to complain. I welcome these new Retina Macs.

smithrh
Jun 12, 2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks guys, I'm finally starting to see the advantages of MagSafe 2.

I hope they don't change it yet again anytime soon, so I can start hoarding many power adapters. I like being able to use them interchangeably.

Very unlikely that they would change it again soon. They get economies of scale by leaving certain things alone as much as possible.

nagromme
Jun 12, 2012, 01:17 PM
It might have to do with the fact that the "barrel type" acts like a hook when yanked from behind.

Secondly, by going shallower, it releases easier - so less likely to have a fall. The lighter the laptop, the lighter the grip the connector should have.

Yes, as nice as the “hook style” is to look at, it’s a problem! My Air is on a smallish desk with the cord hanging off the back. People walk there. Nobody has caught the cord with a foot yet, but no doubt one day they will! In fact, it will be me that does it :o And my hook-syle magsafe may well yank the Air off the back of the desk! No such problem with the white style magsafes.

Pegamush
Jun 12, 2012, 01:29 PM
at least they went back to the T connector, i hate the old "parallel" connector, i broke one after a year or so (the cable slipped off).

kazmac
that Apple would move away from user expandibility...guess it's starting to trickle down. :(

FuNGi
This is a real bummer for people wanting to immediately upgrade a new 2012 MBA themselves.

notjustjay
Jun 12, 2012, 01:32 PM
What is the general feeling about battery life of the Ivy Bridge MBA compared to the previous generation?

I'm wondering if I should spring for a new 13" or get the previous one at a great price from the refurb store.

nuckinfutz
Jun 12, 2012, 01:38 PM
that Apple would move away from user expandibility...guess it's starting to trickle down. :(

Tempest in a teapot. The majority of computer users don't upgrade much. Maybe some RAM or a HDD. Many don't upgrade at all and that includes the Operating System.

shanmugam
Jun 12, 2012, 01:42 PM
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5912/toshiba-announces-thnsnf-series-ssds-19nm-nand-is-here

it is not Samsung 830 nor the newer Toshiba, you got be lucky again to get the samsung 830? like the last time?

----------

Sandforce controller in Toshiba SSD?

kazmac
Jun 12, 2012, 01:46 PM
Tempest in a teapot. The majority of computer users don't upgrade much. Maybe some RAM or a HDD. Many don't upgrade at all and that includes the Operating System.

That's true, if they'd lower the prices on their BTO options that would certainly help.

chainprayer
Jun 12, 2012, 01:50 PM
They might be able to afford Prewitt, from Zoolander.

You beat me to the punch!

Davvid
Jun 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
love my Mac Book Air 2011.
About the update, I'm underwhelmed...time for a "power nap".
zzzzzz

awer25
Jun 12, 2012, 01:59 PM
...the new connector design is likely to accommodate the faster data transfer capabilities.

Or, ya know, make it not user-upgradable, thus forcing us to pay the Apple tax.

Kilamite
Jun 12, 2012, 02:07 PM
Would be nice if Apple let you trade in your old MagSafe adapters for the new ones for a reasonable fee.

polaris20
Jun 12, 2012, 02:13 PM
love my Mac Book Air 2011.
About the update, I'm underwhelmed...time for a "power nap".
zzzzzz

I dunno, between the Thunderbolt it already had, coupled with USB3.0 and the higher clock speeds, I'd say it's worthwhile.

GBrooks
Jun 12, 2012, 02:13 PM
What do the Power connectors on other MacBooks look like? I can't find any images...

ender21
Jun 12, 2012, 02:22 PM
It actually was slightly thicker than a USB port, at least it is on my 2011 MBA. They probably just wanted to make it a little thinner and be done with it. 5 years from now, nobody will care.

Maybe so idiots like me are less likely to try to jam a USB device into the magsafe connector by mistake when in a dark environment.

medhat9
Jun 12, 2012, 02:24 PM
http://www.primatelabs.com/blog/2012/06/macbook-air-pro-benchmarks/

radek42
Jun 12, 2012, 02:36 PM
Actually, the slide during presentation showed 500MBps ...
(see live blog here:
http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/11/live-from-apples-wwdc-2012-keynote/
at 10:21)

R>

can't wait to see benchmark on MBA and also MBP new SSD if this is really 500+mbps

Navdakilla
Jun 12, 2012, 03:13 PM
Looks like I'll be getting a refurb for this reason.

Fraaaa
Jun 12, 2012, 03:16 PM

There is no advantage. Has been redesigned to allow the body to be thinner, that was all.

duncanvdlinden
Jun 12, 2012, 03:24 PM
I think they make the macsafe a little bit thinner because probably next generation macbooks will have mini USB connections. So they can make the hardware verry thin.

Donelop
Jun 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
I hope the new macbook pro has 802.11ac hidden like what they did with 802.11n in 2006. They could just enable it with an update.

repoman27
Jun 12, 2012, 09:59 PM
I hope the new macbook pro has 802.11ac hidden like what they did with 802.11n in 2006. They could just enable it with an update.

No such luck. It's the same Broadcom BCM43224 as the 2011 model.
http://www.broadcom.com/products/Wireless-LAN/802.11-Wireless-LAN-Solutions/BCM43224

Edit 2: Sorry, I see now that you said "pro" not "air", so disregard.

The one thing that did get an upgrade (aside from the USB ports) is the Thunderbolt controller. It went from a 2-channel Eagle Ridge DSL2310 to the 4-channel Cactus Ridge DSL3510L. Combining this with the new Intel HD Graphics 4000, the 2012 MBA should be able to drive two external displays plus the built in panel.

From the pictures, I can't seem to figure out what the SD card slot is hooked up to though. I'd really like to see Apple start to support UHS-I transfer modes.

Edit: It's the same Genesys Logic GL822 card reader controller as the 2011 MBA, which does apparently support UHS-I (up to SDR104), but it only has a USB 2.0 back end—weak...

mkjj
Jun 13, 2012, 08:19 AM
Eagerly anticipating the Retina MBP teardown...

They have just finished. 1/10 for repair.
Nothing is upgradeable, order with the max RAM now!

Ingot
Jun 13, 2012, 11:42 AM
Apple should work on making a universal charge/sync cable...

it'd be nice if the iOS devices got something like magsafe...

Edit: Seriously, iOS devices don't need to be plugged in to sync anymore. Why can't they just get magsafe cables for charging? (While we wait for chargers that are cordless.)

It would take a very long time to sync HD media over the air. I switched back to sync with cord because of the length of time over the air for an episode of Star Trek in HD.

----------

This is a real bummer for people wanting to immediately upgrade a new 2012 MBA themselves.

How so?

840quadra
Jun 13, 2012, 11:48 AM
They have just finished. 1/10 for repair.
Nothing is upgradeable, order with the max RAM now!

That user already has a couple replies in the correct thread for that topic now ;)

oliverlubin
Jun 13, 2012, 12:58 PM
What are the chances it's the same size as that purported smaller dock connector for the iPhone 6? Is apple prepping for a magsafe dock connector/power option?

dyn
Jun 13, 2012, 01:22 PM

Falling back to T-shaped is actually the biggest advantage of the Magsafe2 connector. This is the same as the very first Magsafe connector which did a good job at letting go when somebody tripped over the wire. The second version of that connector was absolutely useless in this department because you can lift the laptop by the cord. The connector did not let go because of its design. Tripping over a wire resulted in a laptop meeting the floor. It did nothing what the Magsafe connector promised to do: disconnect to save your laptop. Luckily this has been resolved and the old connector has been restored with the Magsafe2.

My colleagues didn't understand the Magsafe2 connector shape change until I lifted my MBP up by its power cord (I have the previous version, the non-T shaped one).

shurcooL
Jun 13, 2012, 03:39 PM
Falling back to T-shaped is actually the biggest advantage of the Magsafe2 connector. This is the same as the very first Magsafe connector which did a good job at letting go when somebody tripped over the wire. The second version of that connector was absolutely useless in this department because you can lift the laptop by the cord. The connector did not let go because of its design. Tripping over a wire resulted in a laptop meeting the floor. It did nothing what the Magsafe connector promised to do: disconnect to save your laptop. Luckily this has been resolved and the old connector has been restored with the Magsafe2.

My colleagues didn't understand the Magsafe2 connector shape change until I lifted my MBP up by its power cord (I have the previous version, the non-T shaped one).
Thanks. So the change to L-shape was a mistake, huh.

dyn
Jun 13, 2012, 03:56 PM
Well, they changed the first one because people complained it was too easy to unplug. Unfortunately they changed to a shape that made it nearly impossible to dislodge when you trip over the wire. Maybe this new connector is somewhere in between. Time will tell.

Romeolo888
Jun 15, 2012, 08:03 PM
Hi, so does the new macair have retina display then?

brdeveloper
Jun 15, 2012, 08:18 PM

They change things sometimes so they can sell expensive adapters or push us to buy a new computer when the older one stops functioning.

Lahmy88
Jun 20, 2012, 07:03 AM
good to see the SSD upgraded to 500 MB/s type. Bad Apple though on changing the proprietary connector :( - OWC you poor buggers