PDA

View Full Version : Side by side comparison of Google & Apple Maps at Kings Cross, London

b24pgg
Jun 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/iisaa.png

burnside
Jun 12, 2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the comparison. Google's map looks more informative. I like simplistic, but I think that's a bit too simple of a map on the Apple side.

nfl46
Jun 12, 2012, 12:38 PM
I just looked at it on my iPhone. I thought if I zoomed in one more time, it'll display more street names.

I guess thats why its Beta 1. More streets will be added about time GM is out...we hope.

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 12:39 PM
Image (http://i.imgur.com/tXaQQ.png)

I notice that Google shows traffic info at that level and there's none for Apple's map app. Hmm.

GoGa
Jun 12, 2012, 12:40 PM
I much prefer apples version. (you can zoom in to see the street names btw.)

nfl46
Jun 12, 2012, 12:40 PM
I notice that Google shows traffic info at that level and there's none for Apple's map app. Hmm.

I turn on traffic for that exact location, but it didn't display. I guess its still bugs with it.

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 12:43 PM
I turn on traffic for that exact location, but it didn't display. I guess its still bugs with it.

Yeah, hopefully we can chalk that up to just being in beta.

----------

Is it me, or is it missing a body of water between york way and caledorian(sp) st?

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 12, 2012, 12:51 PM
Gosh, I really WANT to love Apples implementation more... but as I continue seeing more pics of it, I just don't like it.

I dunno, maybe it will turn out to be better in actual use or on the final release. But looking at that picture it's like night and day.

Google has much more detail regarding the water and greenery. The colors of the green and water and much more pleasant. The roads are much easier to see and gauge better perspective to relative size. And then of course more information.

I know Apple's implementation is a work in progress, and I will hold out final verdict till I actually play with it and see how it interacts... but right now I am a little let down. Especially now that I know navigation and flyover won't even be supported on my iPhone 4!! (doesn't bother me too much though because I'll be upgrading with the 5 ;) )

cjmillsnun
Jun 12, 2012, 01:47 PM
I have to agree sadly that Apple's cartography and digitising standards are poor. I've seen examples of side roads in Hybrid mode that extend out to the centreline of the main road.

I work in GIS (Geographic Information Systems) for a living and am highly critical of Google Maps, prefering OS Streetview (cartographically more elegant), but G Maps are way better than Apple's.

diane143
Jun 12, 2012, 01:50 PM
Did you get the beta as a developer?

Mister Bumbo
Jun 12, 2012, 01:51 PM
Just remember that maps is Google's playground for the last couple of years. Of course the first version of anything other "what's currently best" (and what people are used to) won't be as top notch, but give it some time.

Lindenhurst
Jun 12, 2012, 01:52 PM
Apples map looks terrible compared to Google, who has been at map making quite a bit longer than Apple. I'm sure Apple's maps will get better over time, but at tho time there is no comparison.

Apple map=fail

go ahead with the flames. I'm sure someone will like the Apple map better because it is from Apple. Never fails.

oli356
Jun 12, 2012, 01:54 PM
Apples map looks terrible compared to Google, who has been at map making quite a bit longer than Apple. I'm sure Apple's maps will get better over time, but at tho time there is no comparison.

Apple map=fail

go ahead with the flames. I'm sure someone will like the Apple map better because it is from Apple. Never fails.
But it's provided by TomTom not Apple...

cRuNcHiE
Jun 12, 2012, 01:57 PM
Just remember that maps is Google's playground for the last couple of years. Of course the first version of anything other "what's currently best" (and what people are used to) won't be as top notch, but give it some time.

I think that's a poor excuse to be honest. It also means Apple have had plenty of time to watch and learn and hopefully improve on any of google maps mistakes just like they did with the iPhone.

Other people were making smart phones long before Apple and they then came out of nowhere with the iPhone and shook the competition.

Apple maps looks awful end of.

naltst*
Jun 12, 2012, 02:16 PM
I agree that their maps look pretty ropey at the moment but hopefully that will continue to improve?...

Nice to see the curvature of the earth come into play as you zoom out though - for once maps aren't flat, more like google earth that google maps...

And I like the 3d contours even if not the buildings - again very google earthy but not very useful!

mactmaster
Jun 12, 2012, 02:26 PM

Tim said that Apple is doing their on cartography. They are using TomTom and many other sources for data such as roads, streets, landmarks, etc. but they are drawing their own maps. The look of the maps is completely Apple's (except in satellite view where again they are using data from various sources.)

musio
Jun 12, 2012, 02:33 PM
Can you post a pic zoomed in more to really compare street names?

Sensamic
Jun 12, 2012, 02:46 PM
Apples version looks like from the 80s.

Lets not be fanboys here people. Google Maps is better.

Carlanga
Jun 12, 2012, 02:51 PM
I see many things missing in apples' map example; needs some water bodies, forks in the streets and it looks like the streets are longer/shorter than their counterpart; of course both are set to different zoom levels though.

naltst*
Jun 12, 2012, 02:52 PM
Here's a helpful view of Bristol...

pedroj451
Jun 12, 2012, 02:53 PM
I think Google maps looks far superior. I use maps more on my ipad than on my iPhone 4 and I will really miss street view as a method of checking Of where I'm going.

Hopefully Google will come out with an IOS maps app. On release of ios 6.

eezing
Jun 12, 2012, 02:54 PM
I was skeptical at first, but it's starting to grow on me. I'm an iPhone 4 owner and I'm bummed that I lost street view functionality. Search is much better in the new maps though, ties in with yelp nicely.

Clinteastman
Jun 12, 2012, 02:55 PM
One thing to point out is Apples street maps are vector based with some clever street name scaling and display on zooming. Screen shots don't really do it justice. Sat imagery isn't as good though.

FelixDerKater
Jun 12, 2012, 02:57 PM
It's odd that portions of the waterways are simply missing from the Apple version, along with the rail lines. Hopefully, they will work this out before the final release.

For now, it looks just like a TomTom GPS map, and there's a reason I keep a Garmin in my car instead...

WordMasterRice
Jun 12, 2012, 02:59 PM
One thing to point out is Apples street maps are vector based with some clever street name scaling and display on zooming. Screen shots don't really do it justice. Sat imagery isn't as good though.

Google maps have been vector based for a few years now. Maybe not on iOS but that's not Googles fault.

I see many things missing in apples' map example; needs some water bodies, forks in the streets and it looks like the streets are longer/shorter than their counterpart; of course both are set to different zoom levels though. If you take a look at the edges of the maps they are at more or less identical zoom levels.

BigHonkingDeal
Jun 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
I know it's a Beta but unless there will be vast improvements by release time this will be a big step back to me....

I don't see how removing features and tell people it will come in the future is an upgrade.

Djs621
Jun 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
I to want to like apples maps better but it's clear GM is more detailed and useful.

Perhaps if you zoom in a bit more Apples map gets more detailed. However, it is a beta and it should only be judged as such. Let's reserve judgement til the fall.

dylanspronck
Jun 12, 2012, 03:01 PM
I like Apple's color scheme, it's warmer. I do think that Google Maps displays too much info, and Apple's Maps too little info. Apple should add a little more info in this view. They need to balance it out.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 12, 2012, 03:05 PM

YIKES!! Gag me... Please please please fix this Apple!!!

I can't believe they were bragging about how they did their own cartography... Who would be proud of that!

pacmania1982
Jun 12, 2012, 03:05 PM
I'm really not happy with the Maps....I know its new, but it just....sucks....

Clinteastman
Jun 12, 2012, 03:08 PM
Google maps have been vector based for a few years now. Maybe not on iOS but that's not Googles fault.

If you take a look at the edges of the maps they are at more or less identical zoom levels.

Your right, I think Apples problem was that to roll out these kind of features and keep up with Google/Bing/Nokia they needed to take it in house which leaves them at a disadvantage feature/data wise.

jimbean9
Jun 12, 2012, 03:10 PM
The new maps app is awful

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 12, 2012, 03:19 PM

So I have the exact same view pulled up on Google Maps on my iPhone, and I have to admit GM isn't exactly amazing looking either.

Don't get me wrong, GM is definitely better. But I think that particular view is tough because it's crammed with so many streets.

Although I'm surprised Apple's map doesn't have Cheltenham Rd listed at all... GM seems to think it's a pretty dominant road. Cranbrook Rd too. Apple seems to have listed a few small streets randomly with no apparent reason.

retrospek
Jun 12, 2012, 03:29 PM
I have to say (on the understanding this is a Beta release !) that the Maps application is really bad.

Not sure if it is only in the UK that it is so bad - but wow it is terrible..

BFizzzle
Jun 12, 2012, 03:46 PM
can anyone pull up some side by sides in america?

maybe the rest are coming. like how the app store is showing US for UK users

NightFox
Jun 12, 2012, 04:29 PM
I really thought that Apple would have waited until they were closer to Google before going live with their mapping efforts. Was there really a rush after so many years? Yes, I know iOS6 is beta, but I'd imagine that the mapping project is an entirely separate venture from iOS, and I can't imagine it improving all that radically in the next 4-5 months when iOS6 (and Apple's maps) go mainstream.

I've no problem with Apple replacing Google's maps, but at least wait until you've got something as good to replace it with!

Lindenhurst
Jun 12, 2012, 04:43 PM

Too funny

iSimx
Jun 12, 2012, 04:51 PM

lol, that's funny and depressing at the same time. During the keynote I was really impressed with the maps app of course forgetting that they have the likes of san francisco well covered. Shame about the rest of the world.... they can't possibly compete with Google maps who have been doing this for many years developing and improving coverage.

naltst*
Jun 12, 2012, 05:20 PM
I agree that they're not going to be redrawing their maps of the entire world in 4 months but there are a few things that could be adjusted surely...

Displaying each road at a more legible thickness rather than an accurate relative thickness would be a good first step - A map doesn't have to be a perfect scale representation of the real world it has to be legible and usable.

And if they're a bit thicker maybe we could squeeze in a few more names.

The vast major it of major mapping stems all have roads of multiple colours because it is helpful!

My local train line is marked on the map (if you zoom in enough) but not the stations, at any zoom level.

Zwhaler
Jun 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
Can someone post side by side satellite comparison iOS and Google ?

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 05:31 PM
New for 2012: Crippled Maps from the 80's!

See the house your parents raised you in, exactly as it was back then!

This magical time window brought to you by Apple :apple:

cjmillsnun
Jun 12, 2012, 05:55 PM

The mapping data is from TomTom (Tele-Atlas), however the cartography is Apple's.

If you've ever seen cartographic rendering from TomTom you would know it isn't their style.

cjmillsnun
Jun 12, 2012, 06:09 PM
Here are some of my comparisons of Petersfield in Hampshire...

Of the Standard views. the OS StreetView is IMO the best, Apple the worst.

In the Hybrid, Google is the best without question. Apple's suffers from poor quality imagery and extremely poor digitising. If I produced work like that (I digitise maps for a living) I would be sacked.

saintforlife
Jun 12, 2012, 06:44 PM

Typical fan boy reply. Seriously dude? Anybody that looks at the two maps above and says that the Apple one looks better needs to learn to put down their Apple colored glasses and think objectively for a change. The Apple version looks pathetic. Something like a map from the cold war era.

taedouni
Jun 12, 2012, 07:06 PM
I really wish that Steve Jobs was alive. I know that the maps app is in beta (i'm not complaining about its stability) but I think that it's poorly designed. Just like the recent update to the Apple TV's UI.

chandra.hp
Jun 12, 2012, 07:12 PM
Apples version looks like from the 80s.

Lets not be fanboys here people. Google Maps is better.

I agree. I hope Apple, who typically values aesthetics go a high degree, makes updates to the overall look and feel before release.

iPhoneApple
Jun 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
apple better start adding more photos. The maps look unfinished. Should have waited a bit longer before adding it. Hope api's available so you can integrate more info into maps.

tigres
Jun 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
I don't have any issues as of yet crashing like some others- However, the maps look unreadable.

The hybrid is a blurry mess, so I need to put in in standard mode to see anything clearly.

Honestly I am shocked. Not only is it a unusable mess, but this appears not to be a beta problem, but rather a mapping data problem in at least my metro city. Hell, I used to see my house on GM now my whole street is a blurred disaster.

This app may find its way to page 4 of my iPhone (that is empt) aka wasteland.

swordfish5736
Jun 13, 2012, 12:03 PM

Since they are using data from other iPhones I'd guess we won't see much traffic data till iOS 6 comes out of beta and more people are using it.

TouchMint.com
Jun 13, 2012, 12:12 PM
Since they are using data from other iPhones I'd guess we won't see much traffic data till iOS 6 comes out of beta and more people are using it.

Yea that sounds about right tbh

OllyW
Jun 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
If that's the amount of detail present in the maps for one of the world's major cities I dread to think what we'll get where I live.

I hope Google are allowed to offer their maps in the app store.

bp1000
Jun 13, 2012, 12:38 PM
Apple maps certainly has some way to go. That limited information and disproportionate UI isn't good for navigating around London.

I will be using google maps in central london tomorrow and it always gets me where i need to be but that apple ui would be so hard to follow.

In use, its hard enough watching where your going etc without having to figure out where you are on google maps. The trunk road highlights and ui colouring make it much easier to quickly glance and see where you are.

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 13, 2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the comparison. Google's map looks more informative. I like simplistic, but I think that's a bit too simple of a map on the Apple side.

I don't think it's too simplistic... But I think it shows information slightly wrong.

----------

I like that the Apple maps don't display every name zoomed out. But not happy with the app as of now, yes it is a beta but betas at the very least function... this App doesn't work at all. It is very Alpha... like they put it together last month.

blackhand1001
Jun 13, 2012, 12:58 PM
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6059/screenshot2012061313534.png
Here's Google maps in the same spot on my galaxy nexus.

steve-p
Jun 13, 2012, 01:29 PM
They have been collecting traffic data since iOS 5 came out (look in Location Services). So they ought to have plenty of people contributing. I guess it isn't switched on yet.

swordfish5736
Jun 13, 2012, 01:37 PM
I don't think it's too simplistic... But I think it shows information slightly wrong.

----------

I like that the Apple maps don't display every name zoomed out. But not happy with the app as of now, yes it is a beta but betas at the very least function... this App doesn't work at all. It is very Alpha... like they put it together last month.

It seems like some people are having lots of issues with crashes non-stop and some it works fine for. On my 4s the little I've played with it it hasn't crashed yet. I haven't had a chance to try out turn-by-turn yet though

----------

They have been collecting traffic data since iOS 5 came out (look in Location Services). So they ought to have plenty of people contributing. I guess it isn't switched on yet.

I think they've been collecting since before that there just wasn't an option to turn it off. Though I wonder if the traffic data in iOS 5 and lower is sent to google servers to load google traffic.

steve-p
Jun 13, 2012, 01:39 PM
I think they've been collecting since before that there just wasn't an option to turn it off. Though I wonder if the traffic data in iOS 5 and lower is sent to google servers to load google traffic.
Could be, I didn't think of that. Although it's probably using an intermediate Apple server, so they could use the data for both services going forward I guess.

swordfish5736
Jun 13, 2012, 01:48 PM
Could be, I didn't think of that. Although it's probably using an intermediate Apple server, so they could use the data for both services going forward I guess.

True, it'd make sense for them to use data from older devices, instead of relying on everyone to upgrade to ios 6.

The areas I am seeing traffic in(around DC metro area) is more detailed than google traffic. With the icons for wrecks, closures, and construction. I used to use inrix traffic for my commute as it did the same thing sort of.

mushtama
Jun 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
Am I the only person that actually likes google maps as it is? I mean it shows everything you need and I use it a lot to see the local area if I don't know the area well. The only thing it misses is the turn by turn - but I have a separate GPS app for that anyways. Have to be honest but I personally don't like the new maps interface - although I will make a final decision once its released officially.

kevinof
Jun 13, 2012, 01:52 PM
Yes.

Am I the only person that actually likes google maps as it is? .

petsounds
Jun 13, 2012, 02:21 PM
It's not just the lack of details and inaccuracy in the Apple map; the colors are really unpleasant to look at and pick out details from. Being Apple, I would at least expect them to do a better job on design than Google.

swordfish5736
Jun 13, 2012, 03:07 PM
used turn-by-turn for my drive home. I use my phone for music in the car thru an ipod kit. Siri read the directions thru the car speakers, the lock screen turns into a map with your current location as the background and where the clock would be becomes distance to your next turn(double tap of the home button brings the clock and ipod controls back. It looks like it puts itself into "3D" mode automatically when you do directions and little street signs pop up on all the streets you are passing.

Reach9
Jun 13, 2012, 03:27 PM
Somebody tell me that you can still use Google Maps on iOS.. or has Apple given it the kick completely? I hope Google comes out with a Maps app on the App Store.

I'll constantly feel like i'm in the middle of nowhere with Apple Maps. :rolleyes:

PhoneI
Jun 13, 2012, 03:35 PM
I really wish that Steve Jobs was alive. I know that the maps app is in beta (i'm not complaining about its stability) but I think that it's poorly designed. Just like the recent update to the Apple TV's UI.

yes, we need some of the same magic he put into Ping!!!

omgwut
Jun 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
Apple's maps look horrid, I have no idea why they decided to get into this game in the first place. They have nothing to offer in the mapping services department that Google doesn't already do better.

amorya
Jun 13, 2012, 04:13 PM
Somebody tell me that you can still use Google Maps on iOS.. or has Apple given it the kick completely? I hope Google comes out with a Maps app on the App Store.

I'll constantly feel like i'm in the middle of nowhere with Apple Maps. :rolleyes:

You could use it on the website, but there's no way to use Google Maps in the Maps app any more.

I also hope Google release their own app.

omgwut
Jun 13, 2012, 04:14 PM
It's not just the lack of details and inaccuracy in the Apple map; the colors are really unpleasant to look at and pick out details from. Being Apple, I would at least expect them to do a better job on design than Google.
I know, it looks just like the garbage UI on my old budget TomTom GPS device from like five years ago. The ugly pale peach terrain, the fluorescent lime green that looks like it was pulled from a color swatch in MS Paint from Windows 95, the various amateur-looking road symbols...

If nothing else the general visual presentation of the new maps was something I would expect Apple to have exceled at. They just look like trash.

The Phazer
Jun 14, 2012, 02:29 AM

No.

Seriously, I already have a good mapping solution. Why would I possibly want to give Apple "time" after they make my phone worse?

Will Apple give me "time" (which may be years) before my cash clears?

iBreatheApple
Jun 14, 2012, 02:30 AM
Oh wow...

amorya
Jun 14, 2012, 02:54 AM
If nothing else the general visual presentation of the new maps was something I would expect Apple to have exceled at. They just look like trash.

Yeah. The more I see other maps, the better Google Maps looks. It seems that making a readable map isn't easy!

The big thing Apple should do is make the roads wider, and colour code them according to more levels of priority. Google has blue, green, orange, yellow, white (in the UK) five levels of priority.

Also, more road names. Apple are way too conservative about how many to display at any given zoom level.

miamialley
Jun 14, 2012, 03:06 AM
I really WANT to like Apple's map implementation, but wow I don't. :(

Cybbe
Jun 14, 2012, 03:32 AM

Why should we give it some time? Maps is one of the key features of a modern smartphone. I is something I use almost on a daily basis to get from A to B. I live in London. In fact, I used to live in that very area included in the introductory post. Google Maps on iOS is crucial in getting around the city. I would argue most iPhone uses have grown accustomed to high quality maps; this has been a defining feature since the first iPhone. If Apple drops the ball here, I will seriously consider holding off upgrading, and will seriously consider Android, for that reason and that reason only.

Maps are that important. I don't want to wait 2 years for them to get their act together (this look like data issues, not bugs a 3 month beta will iron out).

Goldfinger
Jun 14, 2012, 03:45 AM
Why should we give it some time? Maps is one of the key features of a modern smartphone. I is something I use almost on a daily basis to get from A to B. I live in London. In fact, I used to live in that very area included in the introductory post. Google Maps on iOS is crucial in getting around the city. I would argue most iPhone uses have grown accustomed to high quality maps; this has been a defining feature since the first iPhone. If Apple drops the ball here, I will seriously consider holding off upgrading, and will seriously consider Android, for that reason and that reason only.

Maps are that important. I don't want to wait 2 years for them to get their act together (this look like data issues, not bugs a 3 month beta will iron out).
My sentiments exactly.

I really wonder what Apple hopes to gain from this? Except a huge ego trip. They could have just added their 3D view on top of google maps and their crowd sourced traffic info mixed with google traffic info for extra accurate traffic information. They could've also just added turn by turn to the google maps. Unless Google prohibits this?

The current Apple maps are completely illegible IMHO. I also don't buy the "it's a beta" argument. No way that we will see the dramatic changes that brings it up to par with Gmaps in a few months.

You can't afford to put a headline app like maps in "beta". It's just too important an app. You can't expect people to wait again for years untill the app matures again, especially when Google maps is mature today and a perfectly good product.

steve-p
Jun 14, 2012, 04:01 AM
I think if Apple's terms with Google had allowed for turn by turn navigation, it would have already have been added long ago. That may have been one of the reasons for the change, but it's not about an ego trip, it's about $$$.

If it's not at least as good as the iOS5 and before version built on Google's data, on day 1 of the iOS6 release, Apple will get a great deal of negative media attention. So it had better be as good. They have been working on it a long time, and have huge technical and financial resources, so they don't get a free pass for being the new boys.