PDA

View Full Version : No love for London in 3d maps?

irthomasthomas
Jun 12, 2012, 12:34 PM
I know that creating 3d maps is a huge undertaking and I didn't expect to see much of the UK rendered in glorious 3D, but given it's the London Olympics this year I did at least expect to see some London monuments. But nothing? Really?

Unless I am mistaken, that is very disappointing.

Daveoc64
Jun 12, 2012, 12:59 PM
I don't see what the Olympics have to do with anything. That will be a distant memory by the time that iOS 6 is released!

naltst*
Jun 12, 2012, 01:05 PM
and the Thames looks so brown too!

lovely shadow of the London eye though...

Soundflunky
Jun 12, 2012, 01:06 PM
New York City isn't even 3D so it's probably going to be a while before London is.

clukas
Jun 12, 2012, 01:13 PM
thats disappointing, but then again I don't really care since i only have an iPhone 4:p.

gforce216
Jun 12, 2012, 01:26 PM
I think Sydney is the only one being shown for 3D/Flyover for Beta 1 purposes.

naltst*
Jun 12, 2012, 01:28 PM
Sydney does look good though...

MadGoat
Jun 12, 2012, 03:44 PM
I know that creating 3d maps is a huge undertaking and I didn't expect to see much of the UK rendered in glorious 3D, but given it's the London Olympics this year I did at least expect to see some London monuments. But nothing? Really?

Unless I am mistaken, that is very disappointing.

1) It's beta
2) Do you think it should be a complete product in beta?
3) The Olympics, who gives two hoots?

ixodes
Jun 12, 2012, 03:52 PM
I have it on good authority that Apple is spending heavily on putting more low flying planes in the air to accelerate their data collection of 3D images worldwide. I wouldn't be surprised to see them catching up rather quickly. They're using hi-end military grade spy cameras capable of capturing extremely detailed close up images.

schizbomb
Jun 12, 2012, 03:55 PM
Chicago is 3D too

BFizzzle
Jun 12, 2012, 03:57 PM
no love for london in many of things, not just 3d maps

JK JK

they just naturally started in america, seeing how they are from here. im sure you will be fine when its GM

BlueGummiBear
Jun 12, 2012, 04:05 PM
1) It's beta

This. iOS 6 isn't due for release until the Fall. Given that the grand majority of iPhone users at the Olympics won't be using iOS 6 "beta", I don't see why it matters.

NightFox
Jun 12, 2012, 04:22 PM
I have it on good authority that Apple is spending heavily on putting more low flying planes in the air to accelerate their data collection of 3D images worldwide. I wouldn't be surprised to see them catching up rather quickly. They're using hi-end military grade spy cameras capable of capturing extremely detailed close up images.

Should be interesting when one of Apple's 'spy' planes tries to overfly East London in a months time and gets shot down by a SAM battery on the roof of some council flats :cool:

cjmillsnun
Jun 12, 2012, 06:25 PM
Should be interesting when one of Apple's 'spy' planes tries to overfly East London in a months time and gets shot down by a SAM battery on the roof of some council flats :cool:

Heh, suspect they will have filed an approved flight plan. Or (more likely) buy UK data from getmapping.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 12, 2012, 06:39 PM
Here's your 3D map of London .......

http://aseekingspirit.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/rain.jpg

irthomasthomas
Jun 12, 2012, 06:54 PM
1) It's beta

Condescend much?

With all the international attention that London is getting now, I thought they might have at least modelled Big Ben, that's all.

PBF
Jun 12, 2012, 07:04 PM
I think Sydney is the only one being shown for 3D/Flyover for Beta 1 purposes.
Sydney does look good though...
Am I doing it wrong or what's going on? Doesn't quite look 3D to me. :confused:

http://cl.ly/HL8u/img.png

RocksterX
Jun 12, 2012, 07:06 PM
1) It's beta

Beta by definition is functionally complete and needing further testing to iron things out. You are sadly misguided if you think Apple would reveal something and then let millions of people have it with major changes in mind within months. Why embarrass themselves by having people test and USE the solution day to day otherwise?

Current casual users will suffer most from this. They are not going to be smitten even with the expected cute Maps commercials that I am sure are coming. Not because it is different, but because data is missing and the level of details sucks compared to what even iPhone 1 had. It's ugly too but that is subjective.

WordMasterRice
Jun 12, 2012, 07:18 PM
Beta by definition is functionally complete and needing further testing to iron things out. You are sadly misguided if you think Apple would reveal something and then let millions of people have it with major changes in mind within months. Why embarrass themselves by having people test and USE the solution day to day otherwise?

Current casual users will suffer most from this. They are not going to be smitten even with the expected cute Maps commercials that I am sure are coming. Not because it is different, but because data is missing and the level of details sucks compared to what even iPhone 1 had. It's ugly too but that is subjective.

I was going to post this exactly. The bugs will be worked out but I think unless there is some miracle, the map data (for the most) is what it will be on release.

sfwalter
Jun 12, 2012, 07:23 PM
Am I doing it wrong or what's going on? Doesn't quite look 3D to me. :confused:

Image (http://cl.ly/HL8u/img.png)

Your on standard view. Click the page curl on the bottom right and select hybrid or satellite view.

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2012, 07:24 PM
I was going to post this exactly. The bugs will be worked out but I think unless there is some miracle, the map data (for the most) is what it will be on release.

Why does map data have to correspond with release dates?

Shouldn't it all be updated as the TomTom/Apple map server is updated?

iPhoneApple
Jun 12, 2012, 07:29 PM
They really should have London. Apple should make deal with some airlines to attach cameras to bottom of planes. Also need computer version

WordMasterRice
Jun 12, 2012, 07:32 PM
Why does map data have to correspond with release dates?

Shouldn't it all be updated as the TomTom/Apple map server is updated?

I didn't suggest that it did, but a lot of people seem to think that it will all of the sudden get better by the release. TomTom has been around for a while too, the maps for the entire world aren't going to suddenly get better in the next 2 or 3 months.

Trauma1
Jun 12, 2012, 07:37 PM
I didn't suggest that it did, but a lot of people seem to think that it will all of the sudden get better by the release. TomTom has been around for a while too, the maps for the entire world aren't going to suddenly get better in the next 2 or 3 months.

Why can't it get better by release date? Internet-based map systems are updated constantly.

This thread is talking about the 3D data. Much like a road, if a building is constructed or demolished, it's going to show up on the device as soon as it's entered into the server.

Diiiiips
Jun 13, 2012, 04:22 AM
Condescend much?

With all the international attention that London is getting now, I thought they might have at least modelled Big Ben, that's all.

How silly would it have looked of they had done Big Ben and nothing else in London? With regard to this, international attention doesn't mean anything and neither do the Olympics.

robbieduncan
Jun 13, 2012, 04:39 AM

I love the fact that people keep calling Bow Quarter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_Quarter), a very poncy, privately owned, gated community "council flats". It'll make them so upset :p

Daveoc64
Jun 13, 2012, 07:30 AM
Why can't it get better by release date? Internet-based map systems are updated constantly.

More like glacially.

A few years ago Tom Tom bought Tele Atlas, a company that produces the maps used by not just Tom Tom, but Google as well.

It can take years for changes to roads to get reflected in maps. Not only does the mapping company (Tele Atlas) have to update their map, but each company that uses it needs to get the updated copy into their program or service.

Tom Tom releases quarterly updates to its maps for their own navigation devices. If you read their forums, you'll see how long it takes for major changes (new roads, new layouts etc.) to get onto the maps.

Google is no better in this regard. They don't update the basic map data that frequently.

MadGoat
Jun 13, 2012, 10:07 AM

Beta is also used for in the field stress testing while slowly ramping up full functionality. Testing what computational stress test cannot replicate. This is why you will sometimes see pieces being added as we go along, once their confident that service "A" can handle the stress, start service "B".

Just as OTA wasn't in the first beta of iOS 5 and slowly bade it's appearance and disappearances in subsequent betas.

Between now and September/October we'll see the Maps app go through phases.

GoGa
Jun 14, 2012, 09:04 AM
Apple have decently left out a few places for 3D, they must be perfecting it.

Places they haven't (that we know of) added but have the data for include:

London: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5lM_KefDkg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hoover Dam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlelVaxctI0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Oslo, Norway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSmunh6NIQI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Venice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNr_ToOFvHI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also in this video they say the have over 100 cities mapped: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNFz-_fMsg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

nickchallis92
Jun 14, 2012, 09:24 AM
to be fair, London is the financial capital of the world and one of the great cities. seems ridiculous that it isnt rendered