PDA

View Full Version : Apple Spokesperson Confirms New Mac Pro Designs Likely Coming in 2013 [Update: Not iMac]

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 12, 2012, 04:08 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/apple-spokesperson-confirms-new-mac-pro-and-imac-designs-likely-coming-in-2013/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/macpro.jpg

Yesterday, David Pogue of The New York Times vaguely stated (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/david-pogue-new-imacs-and-mac-pros-coming-probably-in-2013/) in reference to Apple's desktop Mac lines that an unnamed Apple executive had informed him that "new models and new designs are under way, probably for release in 2013." That information was taken to include both Mac Pro and iMac models, but was not explicitly clear.

Soon after we posted the article, we received a report from a reader who had emailed Apple CEO Tim Cook about his disappointment in the lack of a significant Mac Pro update yesterday, with Cook responding to indicate that users can expect significant upgrades next year.Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year.Forbes now follows up (http://www.forbes.com/sites/connieguglielmo/2012/06/12/apples-minimal-mac-pro-update-ticks-off-loyalist-andy-hertzfeld/) with additional corroboration of both Mac Pro and iMac updates coming down the road, with the updates likely appearing next year. The information was provided directly by an Apple spokesperson.An Apple spokesman just told me that new models and new designs of the Mac Pro, as well as the iMac desktop, are in the works and will likely be released in 2013. That confirms what New York Times columnist David Pogue said yesterday, citing an unnamed Apple executive, about Apple's commitment to its desktop computers.There was considerable disappointment from Apple's professional workstation users yesterday when Apple introduced only a very minor update to the Mac Pro, with Apple even taking the unusual step of removing the "New" designation (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/apple-admits-new-mac-pro-isnt-all-that-new/) on the Mac Pro in its online store today.

In light of the disappointing update with processors that are still several years old, we have tweaked our Buyer's Guide recommendations (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro) to suggest that users able to hold off until next year for a more significant update do so instead of purchasing the just-updated but still outdated Mac Pro models.

Update: Apple PR has reached out and clarified (http://www.forbes.com/sites/connieguglielmo/2012/06/12/apple-says-new-models-designs-for-imac-mac-pro-in-works-due-in-2013/) that only the Mac Pro is expected to be next updated in 2013. The company had no comment about the iMac, which perhaps means that the iMac could see updates earlier than next year. It has been 406 days since the iMac last received an update, significantly longer than the traditional iMac update interval.

Article Link: Apple Spokesperson Confirms New Mac Pro Designs Likely Coming in 2013 [Update: Not iMac] (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/apple-spokesperson-confirms-new-mac-pro-and-imac-designs-likely-coming-in-2013/)

donlab
Jun 12, 2012, 04:09 PM
finally a redesign of the mac pro!

Hakone
Jun 12, 2012, 04:11 PM
Yay... another year w/ my BSOD-prone Dell. :(

Megagator
2013 is a long ways away for an Ivy Bridge iMac. :(

Liquinn
Won't Haswell be around the corner then? lol

nutmac
What about mini?

fun173
Jun 12, 2012, 04:12 PM
if "designs" also includes cases this will be very interesting. I wonder what possibilities there are with the mac pro case.

iDemiurge
Jun 12, 2012, 04:13 PM
Gosh, 2013? Will they add Mr.Fusion to it?

Derpage
Perpetual Ketchup. The new apple sauce.

DTphonehome
Well, there goes the sales for the rest of 2012. Someone at Apple should look up "The Osbourne Effect" on Wikipedia. Guess they had to announce something due to the backlash.

Eidorian
I guess the special sauce for next year is the insane marketing graphics and text they can come up with when Ivy Bridge-E destroys good old Westmere. You know the same Ivy Bridge-E that every other workstation uses?

CIA
Jun 12, 2012, 04:15 PM
Well, there goes the sales for the rest of 2012. Someone at Apple should look up "The Osbourne Effect" on Wikipedia. Guess they had to announce something due to the backlash.

I can't imagine they are selling boatloads of MacPro's at the moment, announcement or not...

I was ready to pounce on a new MP, but my 2008 8 core 3.2 machine will hold me over until next year. Glad I bought top of the line years ago. The 2008 top of the line I have now was actually a Applecare free replacement for my Quad G5 from 2005(?) that blew up. (Yay liquid cooled!)
So really I haven't even bought a new Mac desktop for 7 years, Talk about ROI. I feel for people with 1st Gen MacPro's tho.
This news gives me some extra time to save up some cash to get a nice new top of the line 2013 machine that should last me another 6 years.

{Edit} Mac Pro updates, we are used to being jerked around by Apple, so whatever at this point. But seriously, no iMac update until 2013? I get the laptop is king, but schools buy iMacs right? That shocks me. They could do a small refresh to Ivy Bridge with the same case in a few weeks to hold everyone over until 2013. Waiting that long to refresh the top selling desktop is horrible. Arrogant really.

myca
We've had a hexacore on order for a few weeks, and this new *cough* update *cough* has saved us £500, which is nice.

If it was't for the fact that we need a Pro Tools HD rig we would have waited.

Very interested to see what a re-design of the Mac Pro will bring, as I still maintain that it is one of Apples best designed computers, a truly solid blend of form and function for a company that can at times be guilty of form over function.

Good of them to actually say that proper updates are on their way, and I wish they would be more open and transparent with professional users on a permanent basis, as it would then give us more confidence in the platform, and not have us worrying about having to jump ship.

Mad Mac Maniac
Lol. Recommendation: Don't buy! Days since last update: 1

Priceless :)

f1-vettel-fan
Jun 12, 2012, 04:16 PM
???

MacReloaded
So much for doubling down on secrecy.

theSeb
I wonder which Westmere CPUs they will upgrade to in 2013? Possibly the 3.46 GHz? The fastest Mac EVER

I am also expecting a bump up to the all new and powerful AMD RADEON 5870 HD as standard.

Whoopee!

Hey, at least they've kept the ODD, Firewire and Gigabit Ethernet. Considering the complaints about losing those on the MBP sub-forum, some people should be happy. :p

DTphonehome
I can't imagine they are selling boatloads of MacPro's at the moment, announcement or not...

Yeah, but iMacs?

derbothaus
Jun 12, 2012, 04:17 PM

No one is going to buy because there is nothing new. They had to not be expecting anyone to buy other than business that was holding off for new tech anyway. Osbourne Effect not relevant. What they will see is market share leaving for the box's that continue to use parts that are current.

fisha
While I can understand that professionals would be prepared to hold out for a new mp next year, I don't see that happening for the iMac. Unless the imac gets a bump this year , then it's likely going to drive a lot of people away. Towards the end of the year, Who would seriously consider buying an iMac that's 18mths old at a higher than average consumer price.

I think they would still fill order books on pre orders if they announced an updated iMac ith a shipping date of 6 to 8 weeks

Small White Car
Man, Apple got scared. Having them admit even that much about a year-off product is a huge, huge change for them.

Looks like all the Internet bit**ing achieved at least a tiny result. That's new.

manu chao
Jun 12, 2012, 04:18 PM
"There will be a new design of the iMac in 2013." An update like the MBA and MBP is still likely to come this year. No reason not update the iMac (and Mac mini), if you look at them, the new processors (and motherboards with USB 3) seem like a pretty straight drop-in.

theSeb
Jun 12, 2012, 04:19 PM
While I can understand that professionals would be prepared to hold out for a new mp next year, I don't see that happening for the iMac. Unless the imac gets a bump this year , then it's likely going to drive a lot of people away. Towards the end of the year, Who would seriously consider buying an iMac that's 18mths old at a higher than average consumer price.

I don't think it matters to the average consumer. I went to my local Apple store today in the hope of checking out the new MBP. They had the old MBPs and MBAs and not even a mention anywhere that they had just been refreshed. People were still buying them along with iMacs.

----------

Man, Apple got scared. Having then admit even that much about a year-off product is a huge, huge change for them.

Looks like all the Internet bit**ing achieved at least a tiny result. That's new.

I think you'll find the response at WWDC would also have had an impact.

Liquinn
Jun 12, 2012, 04:19 PM
I wonder which Westmere CPUs they will upgrade to in 2013? Possibly the 3.46 GHz? The fastest Mac EVER

I am also expecting a bump up to the all new and powerful AMD RADEON 5870 HD as standard.

Whoopee!

Hey, at least they've kept the ODD, Firewire and Gigabit Ethernet. Considering the complaints about losing those on the MBP sub-forum, some people should be happy. :p
I agree there with you.

Icy1007
Jun 12, 2012, 04:20 PM
That's good to hear if true.

Eidorian
Jun 12, 2012, 04:21 PM
"There will be a new design of the iMac in 2013." An update like the MBA and MBP is still likely to come this year. No reason not update the iMac (and Mac mini), if you look at them, the new processors (and motherboards with USB 3) seem like a pretty straight drop-in.Ivy Bridge drops into LGA 1155 and the Intel 7 Series PCH is pin-compatible. It takes pennies (for Apple) of R&D just to drop this in and give us USB 3.0 support.

I was going to get a Sandy Bridge notebook model refurbished but I am going to wait for the Ivy Bridge ones just to get USB 3.0 standard! Maybe in 2-3 months.

Shane1905
Now don't take this the wrong way, as I'm pretty p****ed off that I've waited for the iMac update since deciding back in december that I wanted to leave windows (march wasn't to far away...) but if this statement is true and we have to wait another year for an update I'm just going to give up waiting for now and get the current model. Good idea or not? And also since it now appears to be in the middle of its life and not at the end the recommendation should be changed to 'Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle' just like the mac pro was changed back to Don't Buy...

Stiksi
"You are very important to us, so we will take care of your needs right after we've done everything else."

Ok then.

LWX
Identical to the Pogue article then, also the name's not cited. Hardly doubling down on secrecy and would be nice, if true. Will gauge the rumour mill around Xmas holidays when I'm in the market to replace my 2008 Aluminium MacBook.

Rodimus Prime
Sorry why trust Apple if you are a pro at this point. The lack of a real update for so long to the mac Pro should speak volumes.

mrxak
Jun 12, 2012, 04:22 PM
Here's hoping January 1st, not June something.

While I still don't understand the reasons behind no new update today using Sandy Bridge, at least Apple has removed the "New" tag and a spokesperson has clarified (as much as Apple ever does) that new Mac Pros will someday arrive.

My guess is my email to Tim Cook wasn't the only one in the last 24 hours asking for official clarification on the future of the Mac Pro.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 12, 2012, 04:23 PM
Now don't take this the wrong way, as I'm pretty p****ed off that I've waited for the iMac update since deciding back in december that I wanted to leave windows (march wasn't to far away...) but if this statement is true and we have to wait another year for an update I'm just going to give up waiting for now and get the current model. Good idea or not? And also since it now appears to be in the middle of its life and not at the end the recommendation should be changed to 'Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle' just like the mac pro was changed back to Don't Buy...

Word of advice. If you are waiting on the next big thing in the computing world you will always be waiting as the next big thing is always coming

ArtOfWarfare
Didn't Tim Cook say Apple was doubling down on secrecy under him?

I'm fairly certain that Apple would have remained silent under Jobs.

I guess the idea is to hold onto upset pros. If Apple says nothing, pros might settle for a new machine from someone else later this year. If they know to expect something early next year, then they'll know to wait.

11thIndian

If a shop needs a machine. They'll buy a machine. It's individual users who will be forced to hold on for another year.

powers74
if "designs" also includes cases this will be very interesting. I wonder what possibilities there are with the mac pro case.

It's actually a little scary! The current design is such an icon. I'm sure it'll kick ass tho!

gramirez2012
OK, so a possible redesign in 2013. But will they at least speedbump them (iMacs) and add USB3 before then? Looking to buy an iMac ASAP.

SvK
Jun 12, 2012, 04:24 PM
The best news about this is that we (pro community) and our collective disappointment was heard by Apple and acted upon.

Michael Scrip
Are there any benchmarks on these new Mac Pros yet? Are they at least a little faster than the old ones?

I understand people are pissed about the lack of USB3 and Thunderbolt... and the lackluster video card... but are they "good enough" ?

Or would it have been better to not release anything at all? Somehow I think that would have been worse...

jazzbo

Yeah really.

I wonder if this signals a general shift towards trying to be super secret on the high profile items (iPhones, super-slim retina laptops) while taking a more traditional tact as far as pre-announcing updates for the less flashy lines.

Liquinn
Jun 12, 2012, 04:25 PM
Word of advice. If you are waiting on the next big thing in the computing world you will always be waiting as the next big thing is always coming
What do you mean?

theSeb
Jun 12, 2012, 04:25 PM
Yeah, but iMacs?

Apple sold about 2.8 million notebooks and 1.2 desktops last year.

By the way Macrumors people, the link you've added for the Forbes story should be changed to this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/connieguglielmo/2012/06/12/apple-says-new-models-designs-for-imac-mac-pro-in-works-due-in-2013/?partner=yahootix

Even though the Angry Andy story is interesting too

na1577
Jun 12, 2012, 04:26 PM
What an odd thing for them to confirm. I don't think the backlash was bad enough to warrant acknowledgment of distant product releases.

JCox
Jun 12, 2012, 04:26 PM
Glad to know that even after 3 years, I have nearly the BEST that Cupertino can offer.

Kalach
Jun 12, 2012, 04:27 PM
Kind of glad that the imac is holding off for another year! Not so much about the mac pro... It really needed a refresh this year...

G4DP
Jun 12, 2012, 04:28 PM
Are you guys seriously buying this?

Some one vaguely tells a "reporter" about a 'possible' redesign and you give it credit? For something that is over a year off.

What happens if there is a delay in required parts? GPU or CPU delays? Apple giving info on something they cannot be sure will even be ready on time is complete rubbish.

HelveticaRoman
Look forward to the new MacPro X, with most of the functionality missing, at least for a few years or so. Cynicism aside (it is getting increasingly hard not to be with Apple these days if you're desktop bound) it was decent of them to finally make a statement at least. Whether or not they actually honour it is another story.

theSeb
Didn't Tim Cook say Apple was doubling down on secrecy under him?

I'm fairly certain that Apple would have remained silent under Jobs.

I guess the idea is to hold onto upset pros. If Apple says nothing, pros might settle for a new machine from someone else later this year. If they know to expect something early next year, then they'll know to wait.

There is secrecy and there is being an ***hole. Apple decided not to do both after the backlash.

Liquinn
Jun 12, 2012, 04:29 PM
Look forward to the new MacPro X, with most of the functionality missing, at least for a few years or so. Cynicism aside (it is getting increasingly hard not to be with Apple these days if you're desktop bound) it was decent of them to finally make a statement at least. Whether or not they actually honour it is another story.
I guess what they say and actually do are two different things.

eyebex
Jun 12, 2012, 04:29 PM

Yes, the Buyer's guide tool is very weak. Unless one realizes that the recommendations are based solely on average number of days between past releases it can be VERY misleading.

I8P'CS
Jun 12, 2012, 04:31 PM
Great news will chug along with my 2011 iMac and upgrade on new design, glad i bought in feb. See you in 2013.

theSeb
Jun 12, 2012, 04:32 PM
Are you guys seriously buying this?

Some one vaguely tells a "reporter" about a 'possible' redesign and you give it credit? For something that is over a year off.

What happens if there is a delay in required parts? GPU or CPU delays? Apple giving info on something they cannot be sure will even be ready on time is complete rubbish.

Who knows what to believe anymore.

----------

Oh I am sure they could do all sorts of things. Remove Ethernet, firewire, ODD, add mobile GPU, make the case a bit thinner.. No, wait...

ArcaneDevice
Jun 12, 2012, 04:33 PM
Man, Apple got scared. Having them admit even that much about a year-off product is a huge, huge change for them.

No it isn't. Apple used to announce products well in advance of their ship date.

In this case they are not revolutionizing anything that the rest of the computer world isn't already utilizing that needs to be kept secret. It won't be touch screen or have a retina display or have integrated Siri microphones. It should just have the latest components and standards that the Pro users want. The same components and standards that have already been adopted by other desktop machines.

Apple Key
Jun 12, 2012, 04:33 PM
"Confirms"... "Likely"?

h0mi
Jun 12, 2012, 04:34 PM

I agree. I want an ivy bridge imac soon; I don't need a "redesigned" model, the current FF with Ivy bridge will work just fine. For ***** and giggles, go ahead and ditch the optical disc (why didn't they with the mbps?). Next year? Ugh.

And an ivy bridge mac mini, I'd buy one for an HTPC right now.

Konrad
Jun 12, 2012, 04:35 PM
Timmie, you lying b***h, I don't believe a word you say. And stop sending me those stupid phones.

Bubba.

Rodimus Prime
What do you mean?

Means if you are always waiting for the next better upgrade to come out you will always be waiting as one is always around the corner.

There is a reason for the joke that your computer is out dated by the time you get it home.

Shane1905

That's always sound advice that I normally stick to, I've been playing around with pcs since I was 7 (24 now), but I thought with it being the big move from windows to my first mac machine I could wait the 2-3 months, then it became april, then may and now were here, now there is (hopefully) a definitive answer I'm taking the plunge with the current model, I just wonder If apple may backtrack further and perhaps lower the price of the current iMac a little, like the pro?

slu
Jun 12, 2012, 04:37 PM
I don't currently have a ML ready Mac, so I was looking to upgrade when ML drops, but since I am in the market for a desktop, I may wait until next year. Or I may consider a used Mac for the first time. I guess I'll use the next month to think it over.

Liquinn
Jun 12, 2012, 04:38 PM
Means if you are always waiting for the next better upgrade to come out you will always be waiting as one is always around the corner.

There is a reason for the joke that your computer is out dated by the time you get it home.
True, once you've opened the box it's already out of date I guess.

brbrown1988
Jun 12, 2012, 04:39 PM
I am ashamed to say I will be buying the outdated iMac today. Regardless of the old components, I need a reliable desktop. "Later next year" is just too long to wait. I have projects on hold because of this.

I know many of you will simply say go buy a PC, but the obvious truth is...no Windows based cpu has the combined functionality, speed, and looks of a Mac compiled into one unit.

$%# you Apple. You've got me by the balls. :eek:

thejadedmonkey
In light of the disappointing update with processors that are still several years old, we have tweaked our Buyer's Guide recommendations to suggest that users able to hold off until next year for a more significant update do so instead of purchasing the just-updated but still outdated Mac Pro models.

Article Link: Apple Spokesperson Confirms New Mac Pro and iMac Designs Likely Coming in 2013
I'm sorry, but this is really disappointing to me, as it only shows that Macrumors is in the pocket of Apple.

Yesterday, this was a "new" machine that wasn't going to be updated for about 1.5 years. Today, Apple says it may not be updated for (upto) 1.5 years, and it says "don't buy".

Not because it's a bad time to upgrade, but because Apple says so.

Honest question, how much money does Macrumors get from Apple?

James Craner
Really frustrating, I have a 1st Gen Mac Pro (with all 4 HD bays utilised) that I can't upgrade to Mountain Lion, and is on it's last legs really. Have been waiting to upgrade to a new Mac Pro with Thunderbolt as my Cinema Display will also need updating soon, as well as wanting to move to Thunderbolt external storage. Don't really want to spend GBP 2k+ on a Mac Pro without Thunderbolt and a 2+ year old graphics card. I would have been happy if they just had an updated graphics card and a Thunderbolt port.

monokakata
Jun 12, 2012, 04:40 PM
What do you mean?

He means the same thing I was told back in the early 80s when I was looking for my first PDP-11 (or Data General Nova) and was waiting to see who was going to do what:

"It's always the wrong time to buy a computer."

True! So I bought an 11/23 and never looked back.

damir00
2013...geez...WTF?

JayLenochiniMac

Isn't it a little too late for that? Pretty much the only people buying Mac Pros and iMacs now are those actually in need of a computer or those who don't follow rumors.

philipma1957
Jun 12, 2012, 04:42 PM
I am ashamed to say I will be buying the outdated iMac today. Regardless of the old components, I need a reliable desktop. "Later next year" is just too long to wait. I have projects on hold because of this.

I know many of you will simply say go buy a PC, but the obvious truth is...no Windows based cpu has the combined functionality, speed, and looks of a Mac compiled into one unit.

the only thing a 2011 imac is short on is usb3..

sandy vs ivy is pretty much a push. the gpu is very good in the 2011 iMac. (hd6970m)

What would be nice is a big ssd price drop. The mac pro dropped ssd price a bit the iMac needs to follow suit.

Cristian123
Jun 12, 2012, 04:42 PM

+1

I really needed a machine to get started on a video editing project, and had been holding out months for this update. I was ready to switch to Windows last night, but I priced out the Dell and HP towers, and looking at a price comparison on dual 6-cores, Apple came out quite a bit lower priced at the 2.4, 12-core option with SSD boot and 6TBs of internal storage (which means I won't really need to use the TB peripherals for active workflow), so I bit the bullet and bought the beast. I suppose the processors are dated and I have to forego Thunderbolt, USB3 and blu-ray writing, but in the end the $6000 stopgap 12-core Apple dinosaur option was still more appealing than forking over $10000 and moving my whole life to Windows, despite the allure of 16 cores and all that. I am hoping the big metal dinosaur will behave.

I absolutely would NOT have made this purchase if Apple hadn't sent signals/assurances after the update that it is going to maintain/update this line in the future.

I hate to say it, but in the end I couldn't make the switch. Will I regret sticking with Apple? Let's hope they stick with us over the long haul.

If not, I'll switch later when some other company is smart enough to make it easy.

eyebex
Jun 12, 2012, 04:43 PM
That's always sound advice that I normally stick to, I've been playing around with pcs since I was 7 (24 now), but I thought with it being the big move from windows to my first mac machine I could wait the 2-3 months, then it became april, then may and now were here, now there is (hopefully) a definitive answer I'm taking the plunge with the current model, I just wonder If apple may backtrack further and perhaps lower the price of the current iMac a little, like the pro?

They got you exactly where they want you - just selling off those remaining 2011s so that they can say: oh we forgot, we're releasing the new iMacs next month.

Stridder44

An absurdly long way away in industry terms. At least drop the price on the current models if they're going to continue selling outdated hardware.

onepremiere
What Happened to Apple?

How can they put a "NEW" icon next to that.

I am extremely disappointed.

Not only have I been waiting to replace my iMac with a Pro, but also excited to see what Apple with bring to the table this time. Which aligns with the reputation they have built, consistent evolution and innovation.

I feel like because of the iPad and iPhone success, the core foundation that built Apple is taking a beating. Now that I've mentioned the iPad and iPhone, even those have have had weak updates. Give me a game changer, not an S narration behind the name.

Now 2013? Give me a break. I've lost interest and from some of the reports coming off Wall Street, the feeling it mutual for many investors.

Do I dare start looking at alternatives!?:confused:

neverfade
Jun 12, 2012, 04:44 PM
I am still running a first generation G5 dual 2 gig. The machine is a beast. I have it on almost everyday since I have bought it in 2003. I can't remember the last time I turned it off. Probably in October of 2011 when I moved.

Anyways, I can't run the latest and greatest, but it'll suffice for me for the time being...

theSeb
Jun 12, 2012, 04:45 PM

I was ready to pounce on a new MP, but my 2008 8 core 3.2 machine will hold me over until next year. Glad I bought top of the line years ago. The 2008 top of the line I have now was actually a Applecare free replacement for my Quad G5 from 2005(?) that blew up. (Yay liquid cooled!)
So really I haven't even bought a new Mac desktop for 7 years, Talk about ROI. I feel for people with 1st Gen MacPro's tho.
This news gives me some extra time to save up some cash to get a nice new top of the line 2013 machine that should last me another 6 years.

{Edit} Mac Pro updates, we are used to being jerked around by Apple, so whatever at this point. But seriously, no iMac update until 2013? I get the laptop is king, but schools buy iMacs right? That shocks me. They could do a small refresh to Ivy Bridge with the same case in a few weeks to hold everyone over until 2013. Waiting that long to refresh the top selling desktop is horrible. Arrogant really.

I think there will be a spec bump for the iMac this year.

I am expecting the mentioned 2013 iMac redesign to include a high-resolution panel, the vibrating pen patent as an extra input device and the foldable iMac patent thrown together. This will be a direct attack and answer to MS's Metro interface.

http://www.cultofmac.com/169875/what...of-everything/

In 2012 I am expecting a spec bump to USB 3, Ivy Bridge and Nvidia this year for the iMac. It would be silly to keep the specifications different from the MBP and it would not be good business. How are the apple store "geniuses" going to explain these differences to Joe Customer?

-------

*Sebastian is an analyst at Made Up Securities. His rumour prediction record has been spotty recently. On Monday he incorrectly predicted that the 2012 Mac Pro leaked specifications were BS since he could not match the CPUs to the Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 16xx and 26xx he was expecting and he felt sick that the Radeon 5770 would be the GPU in the "old new old" 2012 Mac Pro.

peb123
Jun 12, 2012, 04:45 PM
What happened to doubling down on secrecy?? This is very un-Apple to disclose this information.

I still think they will update the mini and iMac with ivy bridge, usb 3 and new graphics processors this year. Next year we will see new form factors.

Stetrain
Jun 12, 2012, 04:46 PM
I still think it's pretty unlikely that they won't at least bump the current form factor iMac to Ivy Bridge at some point in the next couple of months.

I don't think anyone was honestly expecting a redesign this year. Interesting that they're working on one for next year though.

Apple-Guy
Jun 12, 2012, 04:47 PM
I'm happy and sad at the same time, happy because the mac pro lives on and I will get the chance to buy one in a yesad however, because I can not wait 1 more year, my macbook pro penryn from early 2008 is dying under my software/rendering and I really need a stronger comp, if it weren't for my studies, I would've spent every last breath with my macbook pro until the mac pro comes and even after that.

But I need to buy a stupid windows machine now to overlap 1 year :(

Regards,

Apple-Guy

Ps thank you Apple for at least telling us he'll be back

RichardBeer
Jun 12, 2012, 04:48 PM
Even with this announcement, it feels like too little too late.

Sometimes I think that while Apple's philosophy of doing things sets them apart from others and can lead to some innovative things, at other times it's just weird and plain nonsensical. Such as when they ship things with missing features or the features which replace them are barely used, e.g the minidisplay back in 2009 that meant most monitors needed an adapter, silly; also the late inclusion of USB 3.0, I could go on. It's a method not without its occasional downsides I guess.

MacFanJeff
Jun 12, 2012, 04:48 PM
I have a hard time believing any of these reports coming out when nothing was OFFICIALLY announced at WWDC. Had they been planning to wait and wanted to keep the Mac Pro alive, they certainly knew everyone was waiting for them to say so openly at the show. All Apple had to do was say they had not forgotten the PRO users and were working on a full re-design that would be out sometime in 2013, but it WAS not abandoned and they still care.

We got none of that and if you read it closely, it says "likely" to be out sometime in 2013. They do not say it WILL be out and there is a lot of vagueness to all of this. Personally, I think this is all just PR right now to do a little damage control. I'll believe it when and if I see it at this point. Even then, we are talking about a long time to wait given it will have been 3+ years since a major update. People that really need to stay more current will have long moved on by then to Windows workstations. It's too little, too late to make most PROs care at this point.

Shane1905
Jun 12, 2012, 04:51 PM
They got you exactly where they want you - just selling off those remaining 2011s so that they can say: oh we forgot, we're releasing the new iMacs next month.

Argh don't say that! Haha. Your probably right but how long can I keep playing games with them... I may wait until mountain lion so I can start on that from scratch as I see that as the next logical time for release if an updated iMac were to appear (ivy, more ram, ssd). Would it take apple long to change tactic and do this if it wasn't already planned, plus that mysterious benchmark that appeared a while back, the macbook pro held true.

Derpage
Jun 12, 2012, 04:51 PM

Right, this makes sense if you are purchasing bleeding edge tech. However we are talking about lacking pretty basic things such as sata 3 and usb 3...and perhaps a video card that is a little more current than something released in 2009.

gpat
Jun 12, 2012, 04:52 PM
What happened to doubling down on secrecy?? This is very un-Apple to disclose this information.

I still think they will update the mini and iMac with ivy bridge, usb 3 and new graphics processors this year. Next year we will see new form factors.

It used to be un-Apple to displease professional users to this extent once upon a time.
A lot of pros want to throw very good money (from a minimum of $3000) to Apple, but Tim just wants them to be desperate. I hope that their wait will be rewarded.

iBug2
We got none of that and if you read it closely, it says "likely" to be out sometime in 2013. They do not say it WILL be out and there is a lot of vagueness to all of this. Personally, I think this is all just PR right now to do a little damage control. I'll believe it when and if I see it at this point. Even then, we are talking about a long time to wait given it will have been 3+ years since a major update. People that really need to stay more current will have long moved on by then to Windows workstations. It's too little, too late to make most PROs care at this point.

How is that damage control? When you say that wait one more year, you are basically saying "Don't buy any of those Mac Pro's today". It's shooting yourself in the foot unless you actually have some redesign coming up next year.

FaustsHausUK
I was hoping for an iMac update yesterday. When it didn't come, I just bought the best model I could - a refurbished 3.4GHz 27" iMac with all the trimmings bar the extra 1GB of video memory.

I don't feel bad about this purchase. By the time the actual update comes out, I will have gotten a ton of use out of the system. I saved $400 buying refurbished, and I sold systems I owned to fund it, so I don't feel out of pocket at all.

It's super strange that Apple are commenting like this, they normally play their cards close to their chest.

onepremiere
An absurdly long way away in industry terms. At least drop the price on the current models if they're going to continue selling outdated hardware.

Not even before Christmas?! Are they solely banking on the iPhone to round up the 4th Quater, and the year? Is Apple on Vacation?

devilbond
Jun 12, 2012, 04:53 PM
Ok cool, another year.

That'll give me enough time to switch to PC, get used to it, and give it a proper go for the first time in my life. Then, once the year (or so) is up I can decide if I switch back.

Thank you for the opportunity to leave you, Apple.

iBug2
It used to be un-Apple to displease professional users to this extent once upon a time.
A lot of pros want to throw very good money (from a minimum of $3000) to Apple, but Tim just wants them to be desperate. I hope that their wait will be rewarded.

Then Apple was un-Apple until early 2000's. These broadcast professionals weren't using Macs until that time because Apple never had decent hardware and software for that until then.

Amazing Iceman
the word 'likely' kind of lowers my level of confidence more than a little.... :mad:

Yebubbleman
Jun 12, 2012, 04:54 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/apple-spokesperson-confirms-new-mac-pro-and-imac-designs-likely-coming-in-2013/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/macpro.jpg)

Yesterday, David Pogue of The New York Times vaguely stated (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/david-pogue-new-imacs-and-mac-pros-coming-probably-in-2013/) in reference to Apple's desktop Mac lines that an unnamed Apple executive had informed him that "new models and new designs are under way, probably for release in 2013." That information was taken to include both Mac Pro and iMac models, but was not explicitly clear.

Soon after we posted the article, we received a report from a reader who had emailed Apple CEO Tim Cook about his disappointment in the lack of a significant Mac Pro update yesterday, with Cook responding to indicate that users can expect significant upgrades next year.Forbes now follows up (http://www.forbes.com/sites/connieguglielmo/2012/06/12/apples-minimal-mac-pro-update-ticks-off-loyalist-andy-hertzfeld/) with additional corroboration of both Mac Pro and iMac updates coming down the road, with the updates likely appearing next year. The information was provided directly by an Apple spokesperson.There was considerable disappointment from Apple's professional workstation users yesterday when Apple introduced only a very minor update to the Mac Pro, with Apple even taking the unusual step of removing the "New" designation (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/apple-admits-new-mac-pro-isnt-all-that-new/) on the Mac Pro in its online store today.

In light of the disappointing update with processors that are still several years old, we have tweaked our Buyer's Guide recommendations (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro) to suggest that users able to hold off until next year for a more significant update do so instead of purchasing the just-updated but still outdated Mac Pro models.

Article Link: Apple Spokesperson Confirms New Mac Pro and iMac Designs Likely Coming in 2013 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/apple-spokesperson-confirms-new-mac-pro-and-imac-designs-likely-coming-in-2013/)

1. When has Apple ever come out in public about as of yet announced hardware? Software, all the time, for developers. But hardware? That makes very little sense, especially with Tim Cook's added push for secrecy.

2. If Apple is still committed to its Mac desktop line, why are they not introducing new models until NEXT YEAR? Skipping a year for the Mac Pro, they've done that before; it has never been this bad, but it has at least been done before. But with the Mac mini and iMac? I guess the Mac mini rev from 2007 stuck around for over a year, but not updating the iMac for over a year seems unprecedented.

3. How hard is it to maintain your current enclosures, design only marginally modified logic boards (modified enough to accommodate for a complete upgrade from Sandy to Ivy) and go forth? An Ivy Bridge Mac mini should be very easy to do at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I've always found Apple's desktops to be lacking in things that desktops should inherently have and thusly am not in that market, but as an Apple fan and follower, I fail to see what the hold-up is.

Nostromo
I am wondering about the inner workings of Apple.

Was it Jobs who wanted a gadget company and decided to ax the Mac Pro and the 17" MBP?

Product development takes time, so this would explain why there's still no Mac Pro.

Then, come Tim Cook, he decides to step on it, get FCP X ready, buys high-end professional audio software, and then gives the Mac Pro the long needed reboot.

How does this sound? Tim Cook, the good guy, rolling back Steve Jobs' mistakes?

gglockner
I call BS on this story. Nobody in sales says "don't buy our products today because we have better ones coming out tomorrow." Tom Cook would not be doing his duties as an officer of the company if he said that.

Kid A
I'm sorry, but this is really disappointing to me, as it only shows that Macrumors is in the pocket of Apple.

Yesterday, this was a "new" machine that wasn't going to be updated for about 1.5 years. Today, Apple says it may not be updated for (upto) 1.5 years, and it says "don't buy".

Not because it's a bad time to upgrade, but because Apple says so.

Honest question, how much money does Macrumors get from Apple?

Yes, Macrumors changing a recommendation on a $2500+ machine to "DON'T BUY" proves unequivocally, once and for all, that they are "in the pocket" of Apple. :rolleyes: Sound logic!

Yebubbleman
Jun 12, 2012, 04:55 PM
1. When has Apple ever come out in public about as of yet announced hardware? Software, all the time, for developers. But hardware? That makes very little sense, especially with Tim Cook's added push for secrecy.

2. If Apple is still committed to its Mac desktop line, why are they not introducing new models until NEXT YEAR? Skipping a year for the Mac Pro, they've done that before; it has never been this bad, but it has at least been done before. But with the Mac mini and iMac? I guess the Mac mini rev from 2007 stuck around for over a year, but not updating the iMac for over a year seems unprecedented.

3. How hard is it to maintain your current enclosures, design only marginally modified logic boards (modified enough to accommodate for a complete upgrade from Sandy to Ivy) and go forth? An Ivy Bridge Mac mini should be very easy to do at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I've always found Apple's desktops to be lacking in things that desktops should inherently have and thusly am not in that market, but as an Apple fan and follower, I fail to see what the hold-up is.

Unless...they're going to redo the Thunderbolt display to natively connect to MagSafe 2 and to be a retina display and make the same modification to the iMac...but that still shouldn't have any bearing on the Mac mini and Mac Pro.

Starship77
Jun 12, 2012, 04:55 PM
Ya know… The WORLD will have ended by then…

"We're gonna give you a redesign AFTER the armageddon, ok?"
:D:D

Battlefield Fan
Jun 12, 2012, 04:56 PM
I guess the special sauce for next year is the insane marketing graphics and text they can come up with when Ivy Bridge-E destroys good old Westmere. You know the same Ivy Bridge-E that every other workstation uses?

Intel isn't releasing Ivy Bridge E. It got called off.

mozumder
Jun 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
How is that damage control? When you say that wait one more year, you are basically saying "Don't buy any of those Mac Pro's today". It's shooting yourself in the foot unless you actually have some redesign coming up next year.

No. The people that need the machine are going to buy it anyways.

BTW next year we should see 4k Retina Cinema Displays. It's part of the reason why they're not updating the Mac Pros this year.

blipper
True, once you've opened the box it's already out of date I guess.

The great thing about Apple is that that's no longer true with respect to the Mac Pro, at least if you're only comparing Mac Pros.

JesterJJZ
Everyone is saying a year, yet I really think we're looking at January. Laptops in June and Desktops in January make a pretty balanced release schedule.

AirUncleP
Could be FY2013. That would make it a Oct. 2012 release. I'm just saying.

Rocketman
This being the single most unusual product update and release day official comment ever, I wonder how cool the update will have to be to appease their pro users.

And for the over-whiners, a MacPro is just as Pro now as it was 1.5 years ago and as it will be 0.5 years in the future. It's all about the software and the user productivity. A Mac is just a tool.

And so is Apple PR and web services. :D

Just Rocketman

http://freemac.net/image/image_cooling.jpg

http://freemac.net/image/virginiatech.jpg

G51989
Jun 12, 2012, 04:59 PM
This doesn't really matter. Its far to little to late. Apple has offered no real update for two years now, anyone needing a decent amount of power and REAL GPU support is already jumping ship to PC's.

No decent GPU support
no Dual GPU support
No USB 3
No SATA III
No Real processor update
No type of update really.
Insane Price tag for the old hardware your getting.

And it'll be about 3 - 3 and a half years before they refresh the dang thing? No one who wants to keep up with current software in their right mind is going to wait that long.

I personally know a good number of Mac guys who were REALLY looking forward and hanging on for this update, then apple give them the big foot up the ass.

I think a huge number of Mac Pro customers are already starting to jump ship because they simply can't wait any longer for new machines.

Hell, my last proper Mac was a Dual 2.7 G5. ( I have a T-bolt iMac, its a joke. ). ANd I was all excited to have a nice Apple workstation at home just for the fun of it.

Then they come out with this " update ". Even tho I am not a Mac user for work, if I was. I'd be jumping ship right now, because there is no way in hell the current machine can even come close to being able to do what I need it to do. WHere the hell is a Mac Pro with the abilty to hold 4 GPU's? Or hold 128gb of ram? Or hell even have decent GPU support to start with? THen I'd be interested.

What a joke.

I know people will say ' oh you just complain! Your a whiner! "

I don't feel bad for Me, I feel bad for people who actually recently bought a Mac Pro, or bought the " update ". And I feel bad for the People who bought MPs in 2008 and are going on almost 5 years without an update.

Call me a Fanboy ( I have a huge pile of PPC macs and a new iMac, so I'm not ). But you don't see PC vendors pulling this stuff.

brayhite
Jun 12, 2012, 05:00 PM
Makes me feel a lot better about going through with purchasing that refurb iMac along with the new Macbook Air :D

Liquinn
Jun 12, 2012, 05:00 PM
I am wondering about the inner workings of Apple.

Was it Jobs who wanted a gadget company and decided to ax the Mac Pro and the 17" MBP?
I agree with you and I'm wondering about the workings of Apple too. Why would Jobs want to axe the 17"?

Funny how the photo I took of a glossy 17" MBP was at the time the latest and greatest. How times change eh? XD

I call BS on this story. Nobody in sales says "don't buy our products today because we have better ones coming out tomorrow." Tom Cook would not be doing his duties as an officer of the company if he said that.
True, if they had this planned; they should of mentioned something at WWDC. Hmmmmm.

DaBlakkBear
Jun 12, 2012, 05:01 PM
We've had a hexacore on order for a few weeks, and this new *cough* update *cough* has saved us £500, which is nice.

If it was't for the fact that we need a Pro Tools HD rig we would have waited.

Very interested to see what a re-design of the Mac Pro will bring, as I still maintain that it is one of Apples best designed computers, a truly solid blend of form and function for a company that can at times be guilty of form over function.

Good of them to actually say that proper updates are on their way, and I wish they would be more open and transparent with professional users on a permanent basis, as it would then give us more confidence in the platform, and not have us worrying about having to jump ship.

Are you guys working with the TDM or the HDX? I'm right behind you in the plunge to upgrade my Pro Tools HD TDM Rig. :D

Flood123
Jun 12, 2012, 05:01 PM
Yes, Macrumors changing a recommendation on a $2500+ machine to "DON'T BUY" proves unequivocally, once and for all, that they are "in the pocket" of Apple. :rolleyes: Sound logic!

Users requested that they change their recommendation. I am one of those users. Look around. You will find many more of us. It was the right thing to do.

benpatient
Jun 12, 2012, 05:02 PM
This was clearly a "caught with your pants down" moment for Apple. They thought we would fall for the "new" tag?

Tell us that there is no update this year, but a price decrease to better reflect market realities, and you could keep selling the 2010 MP to people who need them.

This mess where they aren't updated, and the price is the same for 3 years is just not going to cut it.

Another MP 2008 octo owner happy to have made the last truly good mac tower purchase. I thought I would be jealous within a year or two after putting 3K down on the 2008, but it's been 4 solid years and nothing worth upgrading has happened yet (except 3rd party graphics, of course)

iBug2
Jun 12, 2012, 05:02 PM
Users requested that they change their recommendation. I am one of those users. Look around. You will find many more of us. It was the right thing to do.

Still they didn't have to do that.

onepremiere
Jun 12, 2012, 05:03 PM
Could be FY2013. That would make it a Oct. 2012 release. I'm just saying.

Good Point, that aligns with the "release" of the iPhone to guarantee solid financial numbers.

iBug2
Jun 12, 2012, 05:03 PM
No. The people that need the machine are going to buy it anyways.

BTW next year we should see 4k Retina Cinema Displays. It's part of the reason why they're not updating the Mac Pros this year.

I won't. I need a new Mac Pro and I'll be waiting one more year. I can keep using my current Mac Pro another year as most of the other Mac Pro users.

Twixt
Jun 12, 2012, 05:04 PM
My late 2009 iMac will last one more year then...
AAPL recent products unveiling did not provide us with anything cool, I hope this is not good predictor that iPhone 5 would be crap
At least, Samsung galaxy Note 2 has been announced via leaks for end of this year. One of these two will be my next phone...

Liquinn
Jun 12, 2012, 05:05 PM
I won't. I need a new Mac Pro and I'll be waiting one more year. I can keep using my current Mac Pro another year as most of the other Mac Pro users.
Doesn't change the fact that Apple are dropping Pro users pretty much.

iBug2
Jun 12, 2012, 05:07 PM
True, if they had this planned; they should of mentioned something at WWDC. Hmmmmm.

No they didn't. After all they did "update" the Mac Pro. When have you seen Apple actually come out and say that they'll have a redesign next year?

----------

I'm not feeling that at all, as a pro user. And the numbers say that Apple is gaining more and more pro users every day.

Liquinn
No they didn't. After all they did "update" the Mac Pro. When have you seen Apple actually come out and say that they'll have a redesign next year?
True, they haven't officially said anything. Though no USB 3 or Thunderbolt sucks.

I thought a spec bump wasn't classed as an update?

Cheffy Dave

Now THATs funny:D

Kid A

Ummm.... yeah.... i looked around... i know... i saw... i was... being... sarcastic.

I was sarcasticly retorting the person who accused MR of being in Apple's pocket. We're on the same page here.

gpat
Jun 12, 2012, 05:08 PM
Then Apple was un-Apple until early 2000's. These broadcast professionals weren't using Macs until that time because Apple never had decent hardware and software for that until then.

Well, Steve Jobs came back in 1998 and it took some time to get some cash from the masses with the iMac in order to focus on more professional stuff - so we could agree.

Twixt

Double check how much iphone accounts for, when it comes down to earning per share...

Clubber

This is probably the best executive team in several metrics in the world right now. I'm sure they're fully aware of the Osborne effect. Through my admittedly rose colored glasses, I read this as saying something to the effect of,

I know we've had this on the back burner. We aren't going to abandon you, and you're in the pipeline. As a gesture of how dedicated we are to you, we will freely and publicly reassure you, fully knowing it will delay the purchase of a good chuck of sales of our newly updated model.

Also know, this public reassurance will cost them millions. That's how important the pro demographic is.

My 2009 MacPro is still a raging ape (a beast), and hosts a bunch of VMs and is my primary desktop workstation.

iBug2
True, they haven't officially said anything. Though no USB 3 or Thunderbolt sucks.

I thought a spec bump wasn't classed as an update?

That's why I said "update" in quotation marks. To me, that's not an update. But on paper, it's an update.

Flood123
Jun 12, 2012, 05:09 PM
Still they didn't have to do that.

I agree with you. They don't have to, but they did. I think it would be a tad misleading and highly inappropriate to leave it as a refreshed product. This was not an update and should not be represented as one. Apple understood that after having their *** chewed out by angry users so they removed new. Makes sense to me. Chalk it up to a difference of opinion.

baryon
Jun 12, 2012, 05:09 PM
Maybe Apple realized that the Mac Pro isn't as good as it should be, since not only is it super expensive, but it's also always lagging behind with upgrades and there isn't much choice of 3rd party graphics cards available.

What if the 2013 redesign will make it cheaper and more upgradeable? Hope this will be something really cool!

As for the iMac, it has always been a great machine so I'm not worried about it.

blakey91
Jun 12, 2012, 05:10 PM
To be honest, i can see why the mac pro hasn't been updated for so long. Its an incredible design, For a computer to last this long and still be considered one of the fastest desktops on the market, is quite an accomplishment.

Be interesting to see how they improve it though.

scottsjack
2013? I feel so sorry for people who want to believe this crap, who have to believe this crap, who are holding on to some kind of thin thread while they dangle over bubbling lava.

The South (CSA) will not likely rise again, Jesus will not likely come back, France will not likely be a major world power again and Apple, the company that just cancelled the pro-size MBP and who apparently cannot even use a modern HDD in the "new" MP will not likely ship a modern Mac Pro in 2013 after three years of neglect.

That's just the way it is.

Flood123
Ummm.... yeah.... i looked around... i know... i saw... i was... being... sarcastic.

I was sarcasticly retorting the person who accused MR of being in Apple's pocket. We're on the same page here.

My bad. Sarcasm is sometimes difficult to get when in print. ;)

Durendal
Well, you can look at it this way: Apple seems to be talking about redesigns, not spec bumps. We may yet see an updated iMac and Mac Pro between then and now, just a spec bump in the existing case, which is fine. Then next year they do something fancy for a Retina iMac and do something new with the old cheesegrater Mac Pro case.

PeterQVenkman
Jun 12, 2012, 05:11 PM

They've told us nothing useful.

ValSalva
Jun 12, 2012, 05:12 PM
Apple taking away the "NEW" badge from the Mac Pro in the Apple online store is huge. This is a clear admission they made a mistake.

iBug2
Jun 12, 2012, 05:12 PM
Well, Steve Jobs came back in 1998 and it took some time to get some cash from the masses with the iMac in order to focus on more professional stuff - so we could agree.

They didn't focus on professional stuff. Steve came and focused on consumer stuff like the iMac and the iPod. He actually discontinued the ultra expensive towers they had during the late 90's. Apple became more consumer oriented after Steve came. But due to performance increases in desktop chips, Apple could build those G4/G5 workstations which didn't cost an arm and a leg anymore, and professionals working in various industries requiring serious computing power started looking at Apple as an option. It wasn't about Steve, it was about Intel/IBM and CPU's getting faster and cheaper.

And they did buy some professional software and made it cheaper and Mac-only to drive more people in, which worked well.

peb123
Jun 12, 2012, 05:13 PM

Agreed they should have upgraded the mac pro by now. I was looking at building a hacintosh just to get a decent priced Mac with a good graphics processor instead of an integrated or mobile chip.

I think its bad policy for Apple to allude to new models next year...

iBug2
Jun 12, 2012, 05:13 PM
I agree with you. They don't have to, but they did. I think it would be a tad misleading and highly inappropriate to leave it as a refreshed product. This was not an update and should not be represented as one. Apple understood that after having their *** chewed out by angry users so they removed new. Makes sense to me. Chalk it up to a difference of opinion.

I was replying to the comment that they did it due to peer pressure. I don't think so. It's obvious to everyone, including macrumors, that this "update" is nonsense.

Lestdog
Jun 12, 2012, 05:14 PM
How dopey has this company become?

C'mon Apple!!....Just use the same cheese grater and update the internals to the latest and greatest!!!

How can you think that 3 years is an acceptable turn around for a workstation?

Anyway, I just ordered an HP Z820... that money could have been yours and all other future workstations I Might buy.. to hell with you apple!

iBug2
Jun 12, 2012, 05:16 PM
Maybe Apple realized that the Mac Pro isn't as good as it should be, since not only is it super expensive, but it's also always lagging behind with upgrades and there isn't much choice of 3rd party graphics cards available.

What if the 2013 redesign will make it cheaper and more upgradeable? Hope this will be something really cool!

Their profit margins on dual processor stations aren't that high, but on single processor ones, extremely high. And now we have 8 core processors, so one can build a fairly powerful single processor workstation. I'm expecting Apple to give us a cheaper single processor Mac Pro.

mikdog
Jun 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
I shan't lie: I'm pretty glad I sprang for a 27" maxed out 2nd hand iMac May-sometime. I considered waiting ... but I was cautious that this kind of thing might have happened. Still though, if I had waited, I may still have gone for an iMac at this time with the knowledge that a revision was more than 6 months away - likely to more than a whole year away if the late 2013 note is correct.

Mac365
Jun 12, 2012, 05:18 PM
The MBP update was lackluster to begin with, but waiting another year for iMac update; to what is already almost two year old tech (USB 3) and Ivy Bridge, (not that apple takes advantage of activesync) is pathetic.

cgk.emu
Jun 12, 2012, 05:18 PM
I wonder what kind of a case redesign they can pull off with the Mac Pro. It's aluminum...competing towers like Dells have some plastic worked in there, so they have room to change designs. Hm. We'll see I suppose. I'm mostly excited about the (hopefully) new graphics options that should come out as well since they'll most likely be compatible with my early 2009 Pro. Even the Mac Pro 1.1's will run the 5870 after all.

chrono1081
Jun 12, 2012, 05:19 PM

A bit off subject but I've supported Dell workstations for a long time.

If you are getting lots of BSOD's try swapping the RAM. Dells usually always ship with **** ram for some reason.

QCassidy352
Jun 12, 2012, 05:20 PM
A new design in 2013 is no reason not to refresh the iMac with ivy/USB 3/new graphics in 2012. Would be a very simple upgrade and wouldn't interfere with the new design the following year.

iBug2
Jun 12, 2012, 05:20 PM
A new design in 2013 is no reason not to refresh the iMac with ivy/USB 3/new graphics in 2012. Would be a very simple upgrade and wouldn't interfere with the new design the following year.

And that may still happen, who knows.

chrono1081
Jun 12, 2012, 05:21 PM
How dopey has this company become?

C'mon Apple!!....Just use the same cheese grater and update the internals to the latest and greatest!!!

How can you think that 3 years is an acceptable turn around for a workstation?

Anyway, I just ordered an HP Z820... that money could have been yours and all other future workstations I Might buy.. to hell with you apple!

Actually most companies don't upgrade workstations that fast. They buy a bunch in bulk one year, then keep em for awhile and upgrade internals.

I have yet to see a single company (even media heavy companies) upgrade computers yearly.

sbrage2000
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, five, thirty times... I must be a Mac Pro user :rolleyes:

daddywags214
I don't currently have a ML ready Mac, so I was looking to upgrade when ML drops, but since I am in the market for a desktop, I may wait until next year. Or I may consider a used Mac for the first time. I guess I'll use the next month to think it over.

Yes, I'm in the same boat. My 2006 Mac Pro is due to be replaced, and I think I can get a decent deal on a used 12-core.

needfx
Jun 12, 2012, 05:23 PM
This being the single most unusual product update and release day official comment ever, I wonder how cool the update will have to be to appease their pro users.

And for the over-whiners, a MacPro is just as Pro now as it was 1.5 years ago and as it will be 0.5 years in the future. It's all about the software and the user productivity. A Mac is just a tool.

And so is Apple PR and web services. :D

Just Rocketman

Image (http://freemac.net/image/image_cooling.jpg)

Image (http://freemac.net/image/virginiatech.jpg)

Always spot on, but people can't handle it
they have hexacors ffs, ooh my creativity cannot flourish in such a restrained environment.
yes, if you want to buy an MP, you want the latest and fastest gear around, but if you need it, you just buy it. TB or not TB

entatlrg

And hopefully it will get their asses in gear to bring them to market sooner. 2013 is a long ways away in computer years ....

peb123
I wonder what kind of a case redesign they can pull off with the Mac Pro. It's aluminum...competing towers like Dells have some plastic worked in there, so they have room to change designs. Hm. We'll see I suppose. I'm mostly excited about the (hopefully) new graphics options that should come out as well since they'll most likely be compatible with my early 2009 Pro. Even the Mac Pro 1.1's will run the 5870 after all.

The fact they did not just upgrade the internals of the current design, and are alluding to a new model a year from now makes me think they are designing a workstation that is completely different and probably relies on new tech still in the works.

Apple is obsessed with small and sleek, so I'm thinking a new mac pro will be more like a mac mini on steroids with expansion via a faster thunderbolt port. Maybe the graphics processors will be built into the monitors...

Liquinn
I don't get why they won't update the Mac Pro with USB3/Thunderbolt this year...

Flood123
Jun 12, 2012, 05:24 PM
I was replying to the comment that they did it due to peer pressure. I don't think so. It's obvious to everyone, including macrumors, that this "update" is nonsense.

Well regardless I am happy everyone seems to be on the same page. The solidarity makes the bitter pill a bit easier to swallow. The sense of community is nice.

QCassidy352
Jun 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
Actually most companies don't upgrade workstations that fast. They buy a bunch in bulk one year, then keep em for awhile and upgrade internals.

I have yet to see a single company (even media heavy companies) upgrade computers yearly.

That's ok for companies that bought in bulk with the 2010 refresh, but what about a company that last bought in 2008 or 09? Their choices are delay the upgrade cycle (maybe by a lot) or pay top dollar for way outdated tech.

I usually don't whine too much about apple's perceived failings, but this Mac pro fiasco is really too much.

theelysium
Jun 12, 2012, 05:29 PM
Apple better be taking so long, because they are trying to make the display and the Mac Pro into a Retina Display computer.

I've been waiting for 2 years... hurry the F up! :mad:

----------

The lease Apple could do is provide a Thunderbolt PCI Card option.... geez.

tmroper
Jun 12, 2012, 05:30 PM
There goes the "just buy an iMac, it's current and does all you need" response to people wanting an updated Pro. It sounds like we might be all one, big, disgruntled desktop family now, following a murky roadmap into the future.

HurtinMinorKey
Jun 12, 2012, 05:31 PM
As far as internals, neither the pros nor the i-macs have been "cutting edge" for a long time, if ever. Maybe Cook decided that they both needed to be more competitive, and thus is taking their time with a revolutionary update.

2LMedia
My clients are already starting to migrate to PC workstations. We can't be held back by empty promises like "Oh they're coming....in the next year or so...maybe." They told us that when they were building the new Final Cut, and a lot of my clients got burned by that one.

xVeinx
The fact that both are scheduled for redesigns next year, and the comment about exciting new designs by Tim Cook would seem to suggest major changes to the desktop line next year. We might see the lines combined, or more likely some changes to the form factor and variety of components. Pretty open ended, but I'm cautiously optimistic (though I don't depend on a Mac Pro for my living either). Assuming the changes are big enough, they may have decided that putting their effort in the new designs is better than releasing more minimal updates to the current generation. Two years not withstanding...

cgk.emu
Jun 12, 2012, 05:34 PM
The fact they did not just upgrade the internals of the current design, and are alluding to a new model a year from now makes me think they are designing a workstation that is completely different and probably relies on new tech still in the works.

Apple is obsessed with small and sleek, so I'm thinking a new mac pro will be more like a mac mini on steroids with expansion via a faster thunderbolt port. Maybe the graphics processors will be built into the monitors...

Hm, possibly, I've been wrong before. But, the Mac Pro is designed to be upgradeable and expandable. Making it a Mini on steroids wouldn't make much sense to the Pro market in my view.

quaternio
Jun 12, 2012, 05:36 PM
I'm glad they told us. I was hoping for an iMac refresh, I've been holding out for months. Now I know that I should just make a decision, either with the old iMacs or the new retina MacBook Pros. I hope in the future they will continue to be at least this transparent.

Liquinn
Jun 12, 2012, 05:36 PM
I'm glad they told us. I was hoping for an iMac refresh, I've been holding out for months. Now I know that should just make a decision, either with the old iMacs or the new retina MacBook Pros. I hope in the future they will continue to be at least this transparent.
Atleast they didn't kill the Mac Pro; which is good.

peb123
Jun 12, 2012, 05:37 PM
Hm, possibly, I've been wrong before. But, the Mac Pro is designed to be upgradeable and expandable. Making it a Mini on steroids wouldn't make much sense to the Pro market in my view.

Thunderbolt is basically an external PCIExpress bus. Currently its only 10Gbps but if a newer version was increased to full PCIExpress 3.0 speeds their would be no need for a large computer case to make room for PCIExpress expansion cards.

entropyfl
Jun 12, 2012, 05:41 PM
I'm new to this Mac pro news ( i don't own one) but due to the cost of them maybe Apple don't expect people to upgrading to the latest and greatest all the time and give them a longer shelf life.

A lot of the mac pro posts on this site indicate people are spending 3-4k and to me is something that you don't need to be changing every 2 years.

am very surprised about lack of iMac.. that would be 2 yrs if they only update next year

MacAddict1978
Jun 12, 2012, 05:42 PM

I think they would still fill order books on pre orders if they announced an updated iMac ith a shipping date of 6 to 8 weeks

the iMac will get a refresh I bet around back to school. I think it was after laptops last year?? Not sure.

I say spec bump coming, redesign after new years

Lestdog
Jun 12, 2012, 05:43 PM

But that's precisely what I'm saying. They've been using this particular design for what? 5 years now? And this cheese grater tower design dates back to the G5... still all we want is an interernal update.

The only real expectation was to install the Sandy Bridge chips and the level of protests would have been significantly lower.. of course there would be those who would have complained about lack of thunderbolt and usb 3.0...

But who's going to buy this thing now when it really hasn't been updated?

Rocketman
Jun 12, 2012, 05:43 PM
This doesn't really matter. Its far to little to late. Apple has offered no real update for two years now, anyone needing a decent amount of power and REAL GPU support is already jumping ship to PC's.

No decent GPU support
no Dual GPU support
No USB 3
No SATA IIIYet all of that and more is available on external boxes on a low end MacBook Air for $950 brand new. Thunderbolt.

http://www.magma.com/

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27215765-Can-I-do-this-External-Drives-USB-3-Thunderbolt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

snberk103
Jun 12, 2012, 05:45 PM
No one is going to buy because there is nothing new. They had to not be expecting anyone to buy other than business that was holding off for new tech anyway. Osbourne Effect not relevant. What they will see is market share leaving for the box's that continue to use parts that are current.

Actually.... I may buy. I have a 2008 Octocore. With this announcement, it is still worth something if I sold it (because it still compares favourably with the "current" models available.)

One of the big "features" that the current MacPros have is a warranty, 3 years of warranty with AppleCare.

I can sell the 2008 for about $1000, and that pays for a good chunk of new MacPro that is faster than my current MacPro, and then I can wait for 3 years to see what Apple has on offer then. In 3 years what this "New" and "Improved" MacPro ends up being will only be 1.5 years old... just long enough for the early adopters to iron out the version 1 bugs (Thanks in advance!).

If I wait it out, then if the 2008 needs any repairs at all... it may not be worth repairing... and I'm buying a current MacPro in any case.

I'm going to be seriously looking at one of these machines in the fall (my new fiscal year) and see what I can pick up on the refurbished store. Three years of warranty is an important feature for me.

Porco
Jun 12, 2012, 05:45 PM
I slammed them for the upgrade and calling it new yesterday, so I'm going to eat humble pie a bit now and say good on 'em for actually officially commenting on this and throwing a few crumbs out there. I have to think they've had a big (negative) response via email (and reading forums like theses, and various websites out there probably), and they've responded about as much as I think we could expect them to.

I'm guessing that really the vast majority of people that would have been buying yesterday's minimal tweak of the 2010 Mac Pros would be people who really need to buy Mac Pros anyway, and now will be getting more stock RAM and better CPUs as standard, instead of having to add those things themselves. For people like that, who absolutely need a Mac Pro (maybe to replace a heavily used older model in a production environment of some kind, for instance), this won't make any difference.

Apple are giving a clear 6 months+ notice that this is it for now, so if you absolutely need one, buy it. It you don't, and you can wait to see what they do next year, great.

Also perhaps worth mentioning is the period AppleCare lasts - 3 years. (Edit: as snberk103 did in fact do right before me by mere seconds!) It would perhaps be unsurprising to see an all-new Mac Pro in the period where a lot (possibly a majority even?) of AppleCare agreements are coming up to the end of their service period. I imagine Apple sell more Mac Pros when they're quite new, and I'd speculate the people waiting to upgrade the day they go on sale are also more likely to be the AppleCare purchasers.

Rocketman
Jun 12, 2012, 05:48 PM
Always spot on, but people can't handle it
they have hexacors ffs, ooh my creativity cannot flourish in such a restrained environment.
yes, if you want to buy an MP, you want the latest and fastest gear around, but if you need it, you just buy it. TB or not TBThanks and phunnie.

http://www.powermax.com/parts/code/PM_CU_XS

http://images.csnw.com/med/appl_xserve.jpg

$1189.00

Why pay less?

$1539.00

Quantity Available: 10+
Item Number: POW-P37787
Vendor: PowerMax

Used XServe Intel Dual Processor, Quad Core/3.0 GHz, 4 GB of RAM, 80 GB internal drive, internal SuperDrive, no keyboard, ATI Radeon x1300 Video, Certified Pre-Owned Mac with 90 day warranty, OS CD is not included, OS Server 10.5

Just Rocketman

CIA
Jun 12, 2012, 05:48 PM
I don't care that the MacPro didn't get USB3. Now that Apple is supporting the standard we hopefully can buy a USB 3 PCIe card super cheap and plug it in. That's why we own MacPro's right? Expandability. Same goes for Thunderbolt. I don't really need it on my MacPro as I already have PCIe cards for my needs (eSATA, Fibre channel etc) Already got built in dual Gig Ethernet etc etc... Both USB 3 and TB would have been nice but since Intel is slacking on the processor/Motherboard front there wasn't much to offer really. The graphics card is the slap in the face. How much engineering does it take to at least give us a 7000 series card?

Marx55
Jun 12, 2012, 05:50 PM
Hopefully with matte displays, at least as an option, even if more expensive:
MacMatte (matte petition)
http://macmatte.wordpress.com

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 12, 2012, 05:52 PM
This could center around the fact that they will need larger Retna panels for the iMac and the Tunderbolt Display.

Wonder if the Mac Pro will see a radical shift in design around Thunderbolt.
(Think Mac Mini + Blade Server + Thunderbolt = Mac Pro "Grid")

Eidorian
Jun 12, 2012, 05:55 PM
Intel isn't releasing Ivy Bridge E. It got called off.I recall it being delayed into 2013 instead of Late 2012 given the lack of competition and Sandy Bridge-E only came out a few months ago. Intel gives at least of year of padding between releases.

So I expect to see desktop Haswell alongside 8/10 core Ivy Bridge-E next year. Do you have any proof?

freddiecable
Jun 12, 2012, 06:00 PM
isn't it quite obvious that new iMacs will arrive before 2013?

chill

QCassidy352
Jun 12, 2012, 06:01 PM
Ok, so not the iMac. I'm less annoyed. Still ridiculous for the pro market, but it restores my faith that they haven't completely abandoned the desktop.

G5isAlive
If a shop needs a machine. They'll buy a machine. It's individual users who will be forced to hold on for another year.

This individual voted with his wallet. I bought a 2010 MP on ebay this morning to replace my aging 1.1. For almost $1,000 less I got a machine just about as fast, same graphics card, same hard drive, twice the memory... and unlike my 1.1 it will run mountain lion when it comes out. With the money saved I bought another 4 gb of ram and a wicked fast OWC Mercury Accelsior SSD that boots from the PCI slot so day to day the system will be FASTER than apple's 'upgrade' and I STILL have beer money in my pocket.

IF apple comes out with something new next year I will think about it, but won't be desperate like I was yesterday.

jazzkids
taking into account Moore's law, what will this processor bump be then with a year and a half before the next update? Seems an awful long time and plenty of time for many pro users to jump ship, making the next release low sales...thus finally putting the nail in the mac pro coffin.

Swordylove
Jun 12, 2012, 06:03 PM
LOL @ "the just-updated but still outdated Mac Pro models" :D
But I don't think Mac Pro fans find it funny though.

The company had no comment about the iMac, which perhaps means that the iMac could see updates earlier than next year.

Oh phew... I sure hope this is right! :rolleyes:

MacVault
Jun 12, 2012, 06:04 PM
Wow, I sure hope I don't have to wait til 2013 for a new iMac. I'm ready to buy now but refuse to buy the ~400-day-old model.

ECUpirate44
Jun 12, 2012, 06:06 PM
Apple PR actually confirmed something? Wow.

champ01
Hahaha finally news we wanna hear.

New Mac Pro confirmed by Apple. check √

Coming 2013 check √

This leaves us between 01-01-2013 and 12-31-2013

Damn Apple they did it again. It better be one awesome Mac Pro! :D

http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/166799/width/557/height/700/flags/LL

Cole Slaw
I'm happy to hear that Apple has at least responded to the dismay, even anger, many were feeling.
Apple really ought to be more open about their future plans when it comes to their more professional oriented hardware and software.
I admit the secrecy and hype that surrounds the release of new consumer products (iPhones, iPads, etc.) works great for the company, but with something like the Mac Pro or higher end software, professionals/businesses need to have some idea of future plans in order to be able to plan their future purchases and upgrades.

G5isAlive
Jun 12, 2012, 06:08 PM
Atleast they didn't kill the Mac Pro; which is good.

at least not yet. a lot (bad) can happen in a year. of course, we can hope that THIS year will be different than the last two.

Ljohnson72
Jun 12, 2012, 06:09 PM
Mac Pro doesn't need a redesign; just give me new internals, PLEASE.

ddarko
Jun 12, 2012, 06:10 PM
Intel introduced Sandy Bridge in January 2011. Apple waited five months until June 2011 to move the iMac line to Sandy Bridge. Intel introduced Ivy Bridge in April 2012. It's still within that 5-month window. Plus, Apple has been known to update its iMac lineup late in the year, right before the holiday shopping season, such as in October 2009. Combined with the Apple PR clarification that that the "wait till 2013" applies to the Mac Pro and not iMac and I think we can expect Ivy Bridge iMacs in October 2012.

Jiz
Jun 12, 2012, 06:10 PM
A super thin iMac coming this fall I predict.

Icaras
Jun 12, 2012, 06:11 PM
Great news will chug along with my 2011 iMac and upgrade on new design, glad i bought in feb. See you in 2013.

Couldn't agree more. Going to enjoy my '11 iMac till then as well. Looks like 2013 will be the year to upgrade.

trims
Jun 12, 2012, 06:12 PM
I find it astonishing that a technology company with income >$25bn and assets >$100bn is unable to at least upgrade its current desktop computer even to existing hardware specs - USB3 etc.

ObjectiveV
Jun 12, 2012, 06:12 PM

foodog
Jun 12, 2012, 06:13 PM

Businesses don't wait for the next model typically. If they need a new machine they buy one.

Liquinn
Jun 12, 2012, 06:13 PM
I find it astonishing that a technology company with income >$25bn and assets >$100bn is unable to at least upgrade its current desktop computer even to existing hardware specs - USB3 etc.
Hmmm... something not quite right here =[

Icaras
Jun 12, 2012, 06:15 PM

Yea, totally hoping for that. Seriously can't wait to see what Ives will have in store for us next year. :)

Edit: Oops, just read you think it will be Fall instead of 2013. Well, whenever it comes, just can't wait to see the new design.

gugy
Jun 12, 2012, 06:16 PM
It's good to see Apple being upfront about it.
So, I guess we just need to wait.
Hopefully when they figure out ThunderBolt on the MacPro they can release a ACD Retina Display 30" +! NIce! :D

TheNorthWaves
Jun 12, 2012, 06:16 PM
Don't worry... Probably... 2013.
Oh yeah, that's reassuring.

Poketmouse
Jun 12, 2012, 06:17 PM
I think somebody mentioned it earlier and i may be echoing but meh...

when you think about it, Apple will be releasing ML next month, so its possible, especially with the iMac that they may release an update to the specs then. I agree that there is no logical reason not to release a new spec machine this year since everything they would need to put in it is available. Im holding out for a new iMac over the next few months to replace my current one (2009 model). But if it doesn't happen i may even look into the whole hackintosh thing

NY Guitarist
Jun 12, 2012, 06:19 PM

Really? I was using PowerMac towers in the mid-90's for AVID Media Composer and Digidesign Pro Tools systems. Let's see, before that was Affinity Stratosphere, Turbo Cubes...

needfx
Jun 12, 2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks and phunnie.

http://www.powermax.com/parts/code/PM_CU_XS

Image (http://images.csnw.com/med/appl_xserve.jpg)

$1189.00

Why pay less?

$1539.00

Quantity Available: 10+
Item Number: POW-P37787
Vendor: PowerMax

Used XServe Intel Dual Processor, Quad Core/3.0 GHz, 4 GB of RAM, 80 GB internal drive, internal SuperDrive, no keyboard, ATI Radeon x1300 Video, Certified Pre-Owned Mac with 90 day warranty, OS CD is not included, OS Server 10.5

Just Rocketman

Not all scientists bother with the latest and fastest apple & intel throw into the market, they have even clustered n number of PS3s as an alternative solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster

Quote: Dubbed as the "PS3 Gravity Grid", this PS3 cluster performs astrophysical simulations of large supermassive black holes capturing smaller compact objects. Khanna claims that the cluster's performance exceeds that of a 100+ Intel Xeon core based traditional Linux cluster on his simulations. The PS3 Gravity Grid gathered significant media attention through 2007,[11][12] 2008,[13][14] 2009[15][16][17] and 2010.[18][19] Khanna also created a DIY website[20] on how to build such clusters, accessible to the general public.

It's never lupus, so quit simulating

relimw
Jun 12, 2012, 06:21 PM

100% Smoked Gorilla Glass case, lol :D

Xtremehkr
Jun 12, 2012, 06:26 PM
The new iMac would benefit from better thermal management, my iMac runs pretty hot sometimes. It seems like if there were better internal design it wouldn't need to work so hard to cool itself when it really needs to.

MOFS
Jun 12, 2012, 06:27 PM

The simple answer could be that they have be unable to find a solution in order to package what they want to put into the new Mac Pro. The use of the new processors may include difficult cooling problems for example that produce unacceptable effects (e.g. cooling problems, loud fan noises etc) and therefore require a complicated reworking of the case. Most people on the forum are probably not aware of the problems of the PowerMac G5 (Wiki link) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G5) and it's own cooling problems., causing much embarrassment to the company at the time.

Some 2.5GHz dual processor and all 2.7 dual processor and 2.5 Quads were cooled by a liquid cooling system (LCS) that consisted of a radiator, coolant pump, and heat exchangers that were bolted to the processors. The cooling system was made by Delphi, a former Harrison Radiator Division of General Motors. This was a bold step for Apple, and should have allowed the use of very fast processors, giving Apple an advantage in both the horsepower and reliability race, but the LCS turned out to be subject to coolant leakage. If not caught in time, the leakage can destroy the processors, logic board, and even corrode the aluminum casing itself. While leakage was sometimes detectable by drops of green coolant in or beneath the machine, in many machines the seepage is so slight that it was almost impossible to detect without dismantling the entire computer.

Cybbe
Jun 12, 2012, 06:27 PM

It's not that hard to believe. Apple as any other company has limited engineering resources. I can't imagine they have a permanent Mac Pro hardware engineer team assembled. A redesign of the workstation would take engineering resources away from other teams. They decided to prioritize other projects.

How much it would take to sort out some of the most glaring problems, such as USB3? I have no clue. But I assume they decided it wasn't worth it until other projects finished, and that's why we're looking at 2013. They aren't waiting for technology to come ripe, they are waiting for other Apple projects to finish.

..and they are likely to loose boatloads of professional users while it happens.

pdadoc
Jun 12, 2012, 06:32 PM
Like many, bummed out this update appears to not be happening for awhile. Aside from just spec upgrades, was really looking to a 512 gb SSD drive, and having ONLY that drive in the iMac. The "hybrid" of having a 256 gb SSD drive (which would not be large enough) and regular HD just seems to be asking for trouble.... But I guess am reconsidering (was also looking at OWC upgrade to 480 gb SSD, but seems like a major hassle, warranty issues, etc).

Anyone have good (or bad) experience with using hybrid SSD/HD drives on iMac? Even just thinking about using migration assistant to move everything (currently about 320 gb) seems like could cause problems with successful migration (going from 2010 MB Pro hooked up to 24" monitor, with way too many spinning balls for what I do).

Macclone
Jun 12, 2012, 06:34 PM
My 2006 iMac is still chugging along now that I am running fan control to keep her cool.

AppleDApp
Jun 12, 2012, 06:36 PM
New design or not I really want to see an iMac with updated hardware ASAP.

Lancer
Jun 12, 2012, 06:37 PM
Finally some iMac news, if we can call it that LOL

I'm not dropping $2k on an iMac at this stage without USB3 or Ivy Bridge CPUs, still hoping these will come with the next OS X ML in late summer. Personally I'd love a new design iMac but can live with the current one, if it have USB3!

BTW still no news on the Mac Mini?

lordonuthin
Jun 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
I have a 2009 MP so I was planning to wait anyway. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I can't imagine a better case design than what we have now though... hmm.

Yebubbleman
Jun 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
The simple answer could be that they have be unable to find a solution in order to package what they want to put into the new Mac Pro. The use of the new processors may include difficult cooling problems for example that produce unacceptable effects (e.g. cooling problems, loud fan noises etc) and therefore require a complicated reworking of the case. Most people on the forum are probably not aware of the problems of the PowerMac G5 (Wiki link) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G5) and it's own cooling problems., causing much embarrassment to the company at the time.

Sandy Bridge E uses a new socket; Socket 2011. Otherwise, it's not THAT different in terms of what could possibly be needed in terms of chassis modification. It also doesn't run THAT much hotter. I remember the liquid cooled Power Mac G5s. I needed to study the many failures that machine had to prepare for my Apple Certified Macintosh Technician certification. I don't think the same applies here.

Rocketman
Jun 12, 2012, 06:43 PM
A super thin iMac coming this fall I predict.Convergence with ATV? :D

Not all scientists bother with the latest and fastest apple & intel throw into the market, they have even clustered n number of PS3s as an alternative solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster

Quote: Dubbed as the "PS3 Gravity Grid", this PS3 cluster performs astrophysical simulationsG4 continues to rock. Apple had x-grid which still runs on commodity G4 Macs and PCs. (and PS)

http://v-serv.com/-upload/Picture%2030.jpg

The MagSafe 2 should be replaced by the new iPod 30 pin connector replacement as both thinner and FAR more capable (TB/PCI4/HDMI/USB3/POWER).

The headphone jack I believe is also the unmarked microphone jack. In a future world it will also be TB optical at 500 GB/s in the center of the 40 year old 1/8" audio jack. :D

Rocketman

Apple intends to make the audio jack last even longer than the Ethernet plug. :(

badNameErr
Jun 12, 2012, 06:43 PM
Ok, here's my theory. Keep in mind that I have zero supporting evidence for this. :-)

18 month(ish) ago, for whatever reasons, Apple decided they wouldn't make any new Mac Pros.
Now, they have decided to reverse this decision and make a Pro Mac again. This maybe due to management changes at the top of Apple. However, since they didn't do any engineering work on a Pro Mac for 18 months it's going to take a while get the wheels turning again - hence the delay in getting a new product out.

Shaun, UK
Jun 12, 2012, 06:47 PM
I don't think it matters to the average consumer. I went to my local Apple store today in the hope of checking out the new MBP. They had the old MBPs and MBAs and not even a mention anywhere that they had just been refreshed. People were still buying them along with iMacs.

I had the same experience. Not even a sign to say updated MBPs and MBAs. It was like WWDC never happened. It was the same when I went in the day after the new iPad was launched - there was nothing. No new signs in the store. In fact they still had the giant illuminated sign on the side with iPad 2 on it for weeks afterwards. The Apple Stores seem like they are on a time delay of about a month from the rest of Apple. Very odd.

Shacklebolt
Jun 12, 2012, 06:48 PM
Very silly question but, uh, what updates are absolutely necessary in a new Mac Pro? Yeah, USB 3 (definitely take or leave Thunderbolt, at this point, but fine, for the monitor), but Mac Pros are still, by far, the most powerful computer Apple produces, latest processors notwithstanding. They'll remain the most powerful computer Apple produces until Apple updates them again.

Not saying they shouldn't update the Mac Pro -- of course they should. I'm just saying, what's the rush? I mean that non-rhetorically... and chances are that a bunch of Apple marketing execs + engineers said the same thing.

sunspot42
Jun 12, 2012, 06:51 PM

32", in a case that looks a lot like a giant iPhone. Glass front and back, metal sides. Perhaps available in white or black.

apolloa
Jun 12, 2012, 06:53 PM
Now then, as Apple has CONFIRMED NEW DESIGN MAC PRO'S NEXT YEAR, are the pro's happy?
I mean, when was the last time Apple confirmed anything a year in advance?

As for the iMac I think they are still going to wait for reaction to the new MacBook Pro Retina before releasing it's update as it too will have a stupid resolution screen considering they are up to 27", OR will Apple update the current range AND release a new design iMac with Retina too?

Grimace
Jun 12, 2012, 06:54 PM
Like the design of the new MBP, a Retina iMac with the screen built into the unibody will be less reflective and thinner overall -- just expensive as :eek: since no one else besides Apple is ordering them.

You don't put off upgrading the Pro this much unless you have a major redesign in hand waiting for the technology to mature and become cost effective. They're up to something, and I'll happily wait for it with my aging (yet super fast!) 2009 Mac Pro.

Shaun, UK
Jun 12, 2012, 06:55 PM
It's not that hard to believe. Apple as any other company has limited engineering resources. I can't imagine they have a permanent Mac Pro hardware engineer team assembled. A redesign of the workstation would take engineering resources away from other teams. They decided to prioritize other projects.

How much it would take to sort out some of the most glaring problems, such as USB3? I have no clue. But I assume they decided it wasn't worth it until other projects finished, and that's why we're looking at 2013. They aren't waiting for technology to come ripe, they are waiting for other Apple projects to finish.

..and they are likely to loose boatloads of professional users while it happens.

With a $100 Billion in the bank they have no excuse for limited engineering resources. Just go hire some more people if needs be.

This is a big problem with Apple in my view. They still act like a start up who can move engineering and software development resources from one project to another rather than hire more people. They took software developers off iWork to build an iOS version, the result being that we haven't had a new version of iWork for OSX for 4 years. That was tolerated in the old days when Apple was a small company but not anymore.

DakotaGuy
Jun 12, 2012, 06:56 PM
I was just looking at the updated story and I never realized that Mac sales only account for 13% of their revenue. By the time you pull out the notebooks and iMac I can see why the Mac Pro isn't a big concern. However, I noticed that desktops still had nice growth (I'd guess mostly iMacs) so I think it's way too soon to leave this market.

Considering that Mac sales are only 13% of their revenue it's easy to see why the iDevices have become their main priority.

The company is living on the iPhone and iPad. There isn't anything wrong with that, however it remains to be seen if customers of these mobile devices will stick with Apple for good or jump on something else in a few years.

Atlantico
Jun 12, 2012, 07:01 PM

LOL as if there was any movement on the Mac Pros today and with the «revision» people got so insulted that the general feeling was to ditch the platform altogether or make preparations to do so.

The Osbourne effect is history: now meet the Apple Mac Pro effect, where immense secrecy and lame/slow revisions lead to people just giving up on the platform and going elsewhere.

Nobody buys a Mac Pro on a whim anyway, people buy a Mac Pro when they *need* a Mac Pro. Knowing that a Mac Pro is to be released next year would usually have 0% effect on the professional buying decision, *especially* since a yearly revision is the absolute minimum anyway.

But also because a Mac Pro in the future doesn't make any money, but a Mac Pro today *does*.

Regardless, the Osbourne effect could only apply to a product that is actually selling anything. One can't sell less than 0 units a day, but one can lose customers really fast to other vendors: the Apple Mac Pro effect. :cool:

Rodimus Prime
Jun 12, 2012, 07:03 PM

Most companies I know stagger their upgrades. They replace say 25-33% of their computers every year to prevent things from getting to outdated and to prevent massive 1 time charges from happening.

Atlantico
Jun 12, 2012, 07:06 PM

Yes Apple got «scared» or at least apprehensive, but it wasn't internet bitching that delivered this result, it was influential people contacting Apple.

Anything you write here is still irrelevant to Apple :D;)

iLilana
Jun 12, 2012, 07:06 PM
Not sure why they had to wait almost 3 years to update the pro tower. Maybe they had plans they didn't was Steve to see. I would love to see something rack-mountable again. They are obviously moving away from standard parts again which is going to frustrate a lot of people. I think the only thing I don't like about the new MacBookPro is the lack of ability to swap out Memory. Considering the life span (from what I have been told) of flash based storage its not going to last as long as platter drives. MAkes me weary of the update. Don't get me wrong... I WANT the new MBP!

noty
Jun 12, 2012, 07:12 PM
I don't care about the Mac Pro but I hope the iMac gets an update soon. The Retina MacBook Pro is tempting though.

mdntcallr
Jun 12, 2012, 07:20 PM
Lets hope apple doesn't come with an Mac Pro Nano.

with laptop chips and GPU.

with all the disappointment going around, i don't have faith that they won't screw up the professional/expandable side of the needs.

blinkin182
Jun 12, 2012, 07:21 PM
I don't care about the Mac Pro but I hope the iMac gets an update soon. The Retina MacBook Pro is tempting though.

I was so reassured to see that Pogue's information was wrong about the iMac. I am planning on buying one soon and not ready to wait until next year!

let's hope they will be coming same time as Mountain Lion, or this fall at the latest!

Mundty
Jun 12, 2012, 07:22 PM
If we're waiting until 2013 now, this upgrade better be significant. I've wanted to buy one for a while, but refused to pay a premium for stale hardware.

AppleDApp
Jun 12, 2012, 07:29 PM
Ok, here's my theory. Keep in mind that I have zero supporting evidence for this. :-)

18 month(ish) ago, for whatever reasons, Apple decided they wouldn't make any new Mac Pros.
Now, they have decided to reverse this decision and make a Pro Mac again. This maybe due to management changes at the top of Apple. However, since they didn't do any engineering work on a Pro Mac for 18 months it's going to take a while get the wheels turning again - hence the delay in getting a new product out.

The mac pro were "updated" because They didn't have any of the older intel chips.

hexor
Jun 12, 2012, 07:30 PM
Why in the world does Apple act like they can't "afford" to update more then what is making the most money at the time? They say they believe in making the best products possible but what they really mean is making the best products possible with the highest profit margins. How in the world is updating the iMac or Mac Pro detrimental to them even if it is only for their "hard core" mac users? These "hard core" Mac users are the ones that kept them alive before the iPhone and iPod.

zimv20
Jun 12, 2012, 07:37 PM
Are you guys working with the TDM or the HDX? I'm right behind you in the plunge to upgrade my Pro Tools HD TDM Rig. :D

i have a PT Native card sitting in a box. i may be picking up the cheaper 12-core soon -- i've got work to do.

AidenShaw
Jun 12, 2012, 07:38 PM

The "the just-updated but still outdated Mac Pro" - thank you for the reasonable, non-fan, interpretation of the non-update.

If your Dell is running Windows 7 or Windows Vista or Windows XP and is blue-screening - you have one or more of
defective hardware (usually bad RAM, but could be a device controller)
out-of-date firmware/drivers
bad 3rd party hardware/drivers

Windows systems are not "BSOD-prone" unless one or more of these is true.

davester
Jun 12, 2012, 07:39 PM
September then...

Macclone
Jun 12, 2012, 07:40 PM
I had the same experience. Not even a sign to say updated MBPs and MBAs. It was like WWDC never happened. It was the same when I went in the day after the new iPad was launched - there was nothing. No new signs in the store. In fact they still had the giant illuminated sign on the side with iPad 2 on it for weeks afterwards. The Apple Stores seem like they are on a time delay of about a month from the rest of Apple. Very odd.

95 percent of the population didn't know WWDC was taking place and don't monitor product cycles. they walk in to the store and buy what is there. I saw people buying iPad 2s a couple days before the new iPad came out.

AppleDApp
Jun 12, 2012, 07:41 PM
Just release imac's and mac mini before the back to school promo is done

djbarona
Jun 12, 2012, 07:44 PM
I am so disappointed with the Apple WWDC. Especially the lack of attention they are paying to the Pro consumer. It has been more than 2 years since the Mac Pro has received any updates and its just so sad to see the company focused on the corporate (sales whores) selling iPhones and iPads and not paying attention to the consumer who made them so sought after.

NOTE TO TIM COOK.. YOU GAVE IN ON USB 3 INSTEAD OF LEADING THE WAY WITH THUNDERBOLT AS A STANDARD. STEVE WOULD HAVE NEVER STOOD FOR THAT. YOU CONTINUE TO IGNORE THE PRO CONSUMER AND OUR LINES ARE OLD AND OUTDATED. EVEN THE WEBSITE HAD ERRORS ON THE PRO LINE LISTING "NEW" OUTDATED ARCHAIC 12 CORE MACS WHEN THE PC MARKET IS ALREADY ON BOARD WITH THE SANDY BRIDGE PROCESSORS. WAKE UP AND GET WITH IT..!

Macclone
Jun 12, 2012, 07:47 PM
Just release imac's and mac mini before the back to school promo is done

Nope. Students only buy laptops.

AppleDApp
Jun 12, 2012, 07:50 PM
Nope. Students only buy laptops.

I am prove that this is not true. I probably am a minority but if you look at previous years, Apple updated the whole lineup before or during the back to school promo.

Ryth
Jun 12, 2012, 07:50 PM
I was so reassured to see that Pogue's information was wrong about the iMac. I am planning on buying one soon and not ready to wait until next year!

I knew his information wasn't correct on the iMac. There would be no way Apple would let the iMac linger that long.

The iMac isn't considered a 'Pro' device even though many of us use the top of the line one.

So I'm glad at least they clarified it...but I definitely knew they were only talking about the Mac Pro.

Now...WTF is the Mac Pro going to have :D

AppleDApp
Jun 12, 2012, 07:58 PM
I knew his information wasn't correct on the iMac. There would be no way Apple would let the iMac linger that long.

The iMac isn't considered a 'Pro' device even though many of us use the top of the line one.

So I'm glad at least they clarified it...but I definitely knew they were only talking about the Mac Pro.

Now...WTF is the Mac Pro going to have :D

Retina 96gb of ram, 4tb of SSD goodness new toy-like design

jouster
Jun 12, 2012, 07:59 PM

Well, they have old stock to sell.

----------

32", in a case that looks a lot like a giant iPhone. Glass front and back, metal sides. Perhaps available in white or black.

Why a glass back?

neverni
Jun 12, 2012, 08:01 PM
Mac Pro doesn't need a redesign; just give me new internals, PLEASE.

Exactly. I like the cheese grader. It is heavy and very uncomfortable to carry, but design wise it is great! Internal updates please, keep the box.

Jbach67
Jun 12, 2012, 08:03 PM

Why? A design change isn't warranted by ivy bridge. Maybe when Haslam comes out next year. Still why does the iMac need to be any thinner? And how....why get rid of an optical drive in an all in one desktop this year? They might do a macpro like screen that would reduce glare and make it thinner, and that could happen this year based on the April rumors.

The other change might be combo ssd and hard drives that might imdeed require dumping optical. But I doubt if they go to retinal displays this year for iMac. They would cost way more than the full BTO MacBook pro. Prices for 'retinal' will decline, but until they do, I doubt too much tinkering with the current iMac design.

But I agree we'll probably see spec bumped iMac in the next few months. Nothing magic about October or any other particular month as it will be silent. When they are ready to go. In apples interest to be before school and Xmas.

ralphthemagi
Jun 12, 2012, 08:15 PM
The Mac Pro and the iMac are approaching EOL. The desktop itself is approaching EOL. They don't get frequent design updates because there isn't that much you can do on the desktop that will actually drive sales. Bigger screen, faster processor, faster graphics—but the average iMac consumer just doesn't care about what "generation" of hardware is inside. The iMac hasn't changed much since 2005. Plastic to metal and a bigger screen. While they've stolen away PC sales for all-in-ones, the category isn't booming the way notebook sales are YOY. All the growth is in notebook and device sales.

The more interesting thing is what happens when the desktop is no longer necessary. When a notebook becomes the primary device for everyone. When you need better graphics and you pick up an external graphics card that sits between your notebook and the display, or is built into the display. Not maintaining this idea of we have of a "desktop".

I would hope that the next Apple product that sits on a desk is neither an iMac nor a Mac Pro. The concept is just so dated. We're already starting to see third party hardware for Thunderbolt that used to only exist in the internal PCI/PCI-E form factor. Fibre channel, RAID, encoding/transcoding hardware, audio interfaces cards…all of this already exists for Thunderbolt.

kfscoll
Jun 12, 2012, 08:17 PM
Like many, bummed out this update appears to not be happening for awhile. Aside from just spec upgrades, was really looking to a 512 gb SSD drive, and having ONLY that drive in the iMac. The "hybrid" of having a 256 gb SSD drive (which would not be large enough) and regular HD just seems to be asking for trouble.... But I guess am reconsidering (was also looking at OWC upgrade to 480 gb SSD, but seems like a major hassle, warranty issues, etc).

Anyone have good (or bad) experience with using hybrid SSD/HD drives on iMac? Even just thinking about using migration assistant to move everything (currently about 320 gb) seems like could cause problems with successful migration (going from 2010 MB Pro hooked up to 24" monitor, with way too many spinning balls for what I do).
I have a BTO 2011 3.4GHz i7 iMac with a 256GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. It's not a "hybrid" setup -- hybrid implies that the OS sees both drives as one volume. My two drives are seen as two distinct volumes. That said, the configuration works great. The OS and apps are all on the SSD and my home folder (media, settings, etc) and other data is on the HDD. The computer screams.

That said, my iMac is now my one and only computer (gave my wife my i7 MBP and am selling the C2D MBP -- just don't need anything portable that's more powerful than my iPad), so I'll likely upgrade to the newest iMac when it's released (faster SSDs, USB 3, and a faster GPU are all selling points). I was really looking forward to stepping up to the Mac Pro in the next few weeks, but it looks like that won't be a possibility for quite some time. Oh well, maybe I'll dump my '12 iMac for a '13 MP when the time comes...fortunately Apple desktops hold their values astonishingly well.

DaBlakkBear
Jun 12, 2012, 08:18 PM
i have a PT Native card sitting in a box. i may be picking up the cheaper 12-core soon -- i've got work to do.

Good investment bro......:D

Macclone
Jun 12, 2012, 08:22 PM
I am prove that this is not true. I probably am a minority but if you look at previous years, Apple updated the whole lineup before or during the back to school promo.

You mean proof, not prove. Are you using a Windows PC?:)

Ryth
Jun 12, 2012, 08:25 PM
Why? A design change isn't warranted by ivy bridge. Maybe when Haslam comes out next year. Still why does the iMac need to be any thinner? And how....why get rid of an optical drive in an all in one desktop this year? They might do a macpro like screen that would reduce glare and make it thinner, and that could happen this year based on the April rumors.

The other change might be combo ssd and hard drives that might imdeed require dumping optical. But I doubt if they go to retinal displays this year for iMac. They would cost way more than the full BTO MacBook pro. Prices for 'retinal' will decline, but until they do, I doubt too much tinkering with the current iMac design.

But I agree we'll probably see spec bumped iMac in the next few months. Nothing magic about October or any other particular month as it will be silent. When they are ready to go. In apples interest to be before school and Xmas.

We could see Retina iMacs...don't be surprised...Apple could literally put most of the other desktop makers in the grave if they come out with something amazing.

I'd love to see Apple do something like the HP-Z1. That is exactly what an iMac should be...but alas we'll never get that.

tonydickinson
Jun 12, 2012, 08:26 PM
Certainly a first I have seen apple show a "new" on their store sites only to remove it within 24 hours.

They really could be innovative and come up with a new Pro Desktop using thunderbolt technology so people could use different modules to achieve whatever power CPU/Graphics suits their pockets, or their business.

The late great SJ was very open regarding the demise of xserve, they did not sell enough of them, and I hope that Apple will use their own genius to come up with something new for those who prefer more powerful machines. The iMac to me who lives in Singapore is an unwelcome room heater, and it is too difficult to upgrade.

Since the introduction of thunderbolt, Tim Cook has lost a great opportunity to show that apple will continue to set new trends in the future rather than continue with pointless law suits that only lawyers gain from.

Come on Apple - you need to do better - your fanboyz are your greatest strength - do not be complacent.

moethebartender
Jun 12, 2012, 08:32 PM
I use the current iMac model, and I absolutely love it. 21-inch screen, Core i5, SuperDrive, and (gasp) SNOW LEOPARD! It starts up every time, runs like a dream, and does absolutely everything I need it to.

That said, though the current iMac meets my needs, it may not meet yours. I'm a believer in making technology purchase decisions based on your needs. If the current iMac meets your needs, I say by all means get one. It's been almost a year since the last upgrade, but one advantage of this is that you can get a used one in excellent condition, and save a fair amount of money.

Oh, and I knew as soon as I saw the headline for this post, the reaction to the iMac news would range from "Oh noes, they're ignoring the iMac" to "Yay, down with outdated desktops".

cgk.emu
Jun 12, 2012, 08:34 PM
Thunderbolt is basically an external PCIExpress bus. Currently its only 10Gbps but if a newer version was increased to full PCIExpress 3.0 speeds their would be no need for a large computer case to make room for PCIExpress expansion cards.

I suppose they could make the case nearly half the size. I use all 4 drive bays, but even that doesn't take up much room. The biggest card I have in my Pro is the 5870 card, and how tall is that...maybe 2 inches?

Macclone
Jun 12, 2012, 08:34 PM
I wonder if the next IMac wil be a touch device that can be used in a conventional manner or fold down like a big iPad. Almost no bezel and black frame around a retina screen.

I bet they move to the same high speed ram and SSD with ivy bridge, multiple TB and USB 3 ports.

Wild-Bill
Jun 12, 2012, 08:39 PM
It's good to see Apple being upfront about it.
So, I guess we just need to wait.
Hopefully when they figure out ThunderBolt on the MacPro they can release a ACD Retina Display 30" +! NIce! :D

What???

The ONLY reason they are being "up front" about it is/was because of all the negative press they received yesterday along with consumer backlash.

Regardless, 2013 is WAY TOO LONG TO WAIT. There is no excuse for what happened yesterday.

Atlantico
Jun 12, 2012, 08:49 PM

That's «basically» correct, except for the minor detail that internal PCIe bus is x16 (PCIe 2.0) and TB is what? x4? x1? I forget, but it at best 25% of today's PCIe speed.

So basically it is no replacement for internal PCIe. That's just Apple PR speak. ;)

puckhead193
Jun 12, 2012, 08:51 PM
2013 is a long way off even if you consider January.. which I highly doubt will happen. I don't think Pro's who are looking to buy want something totally out of the cards. Most want thunderbolt/USB 3.0, new graphic cards, and the new intel chip; nothing too-too crazy. Am I wrong?

I don't care what the hell the computer looks like, I want the fastest it can be.

Atlantico
Jun 12, 2012, 08:51 PM
Yet all of that and more is available on external boxes on a low end MacBook Air for $950 brand new. Thunderbolt.

http://www.magma.com/

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27215765-Can-I-do-this-External-Drives-USB-3-Thunderbolt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

Thunderbolt, a quarter of PCIe 2.0 speed.

Where do I plug in the eight core E5? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

FrankHahn
Jun 12, 2012, 08:52 PM
I have no complaints with a 2013 redesign since I probably upgrade my 2010 Mac Pro in 2014. However, if the new design is really attractive, I may end up upgrading in 2013.

On the second thought, if people complain really loudly, is it possible for Apple to bring out another minor upgrade with the SB Xeon, Thunderbolt, SATA 3, and USB3.0 to the Mac Pro line?

Cygnus311
Jun 12, 2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the confirmation Apple. Now I can go build my Windows PC. Adios.

Battlefield Fan
Jun 12, 2012, 08:59 PM
I recall it being delayed into 2013 instead of Late 2012 given the lack of competition and Sandy Bridge-E only came out a few months ago. Intel gives at least of year of padding between releases.

So I expect to see desktop Haswell alongside 8/10 core Ivy Bridge-E next year. Do you have any proof?

Delayed until the second half of 2013. Almost makes you wonder if Haswell-E will just become the next step.

kalsta
Jun 12, 2012, 09:03 PM

That's good! :) Deserves more than 3 up votes.

I had wondered that too.

Thex1138
Jun 12, 2012, 09:15 PM
Nuthin' or double Jack...? :cool:

Thunderbird
Jun 12, 2012, 09:20 PM
"Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year." - Tim

Hmm..that sounds awfully familiar:

"....Not to worry." -- Steve