PDA

View Full Version : [mobile OSs] Google Navigation just got clapped!!

Bobby Corwen
Jun 12, 2012, 04:37 PM
Brb flyover and superior vector based maps with traffic approximators.

Good night google...

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 12, 2012, 04:39 PM
One less thing for android trolls to come and try and justify their purchase with.

lordofthereef
Jun 12, 2012, 04:42 PM
No transit directions... that's huge.

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 04:42 PM
Catching up to a competitor is nothing to celebrate about.

Do you guys laugh at the 1st place runner when you come in 2nd place? :rolleyes:

lordofthereef
Jun 12, 2012, 04:45 PM

Do you guys laugh at the 1st place runner when you come in 2nd place? :rolleyes:

I would say catching up to a competitor is plenty to celebrate about... I did find humor in your runner analogy though.

SurferMan
Jun 12, 2012, 04:47 PM
GMaps was already updated to real time traffic data few months ago and is vector based as well, actually was vector based 2 years ago. Think next week or so or soon their releasing the update to download to the phone to run offline like 3rd party apps and standalone units, that doesn't mean much to me but cool for those in sketchy cellular data areas. And Google is already updating with their own fly over 3d (with real images, Apples is said to be computer generated but not sure there) for those that care (personally doesn't mean much to me). And looks like it's missing street view.

Don't exactly see how they got "clapped", they finally caught up to GMaps Nav which is a good thing for iOS users, however they still have a long way to go, just look at recent pic comparisons. Hopefully they have most of the bugs worked out by release as it's said to be very buggy right now.

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 12, 2012, 04:47 PM

You are out of your mind to believe this.

b24pgg
Jun 12, 2012, 04:48 PM
Good night google...
Haha. That's funny OP.

http://i.imgur.com/EotCB.gif http://i.imgur.com/6hWW5.gif
http://i.imgur.com/QakNA.jpg http://i.imgur.com/tlsYE.jpg

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 04:50 PM
You are out of your mind if you actually believe this and it's not some lame apple hating attempt to rile people up (which it probably is)
If a competitor accomplishes something first, you're just a copycat to the public. Getting there first is a huge deal. Don't act like you guys wouldn't make fun of Google if Apple did built-in turn-by-turn directions first and Google came in 2nd a year later.

tomtom101
Jun 12, 2012, 04:54 PM
No street view, no public transportation routes/schedules, no offline mapping (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/google-announces-full-offline-mapping-mode-for-android-smartphones/7744), and this:

Image (http://i.imgur.com/tXaQQ.png)

Google definitely still wins the Maps battle, for now.

Please tell me Google will be aloud to release a maps app for the iphone - seriously gonna miss google maps - I personally think its replaceable in mapping terms!... They'll have to let google have a maps app right, because of the whole ' fair competition thing'?

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 12, 2012, 04:54 PM
If a competitor accomplishes something first, you're just a copycat to the public. Getting there first is a huge deal.

For you this might be true. Me personally I don't care.

Don't act like you guys wouldn't make fun of Google if Apple did built-in turn-by-turn directions first and Google came in 2nd a year later.

Don't act like you know what we would do.

taedouni
Jun 12, 2012, 04:58 PM
Google is a software program that has invested billions of dollars in certain fields such as mapping. Apple designs, develops hardware, and software for their products. Until Google does what Apple does then it's catching up.

matttye
Jun 12, 2012, 04:58 PM
Superior maps? I lol'd.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2hckx36.png

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 12, 2012, 05:02 PM
I'm really happy that we now have turn-by-turn navigation with siri integration.

matttye
Jun 12, 2012, 05:03 PM
That image comparison is b.s.

The right picture is cut off so you don't know where the person is originating from.

What? It's two screenshots of the same area? It's not B.S.

nfl46
Jun 12, 2012, 05:04 PM
That image comparison is b.s.

The right picture is cut off so you don't know where the person is originating from.

Its real. I tried it in my iPhone earlier. It was from a thread in the iOS 6 section.

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 05:08 PM
Superior maps? I lol'd.

Image (http://i47.tinypic.com/2hckx36.png)
New for 2012: Apple wows the public with maps from 1980!

matttye
Jun 12, 2012, 05:12 PM

It's okay though because you can see the roofs of buildings! Who needs street names and points of interest? That crap is OLD!

:D

----------

Another comparison:

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=342727&d=1339462286 http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=342728&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1339462286

cyks
Jun 12, 2012, 05:15 PM
Can only hope that Apple is listening to the comments regarding their maps and adds a lot more to them in the coming months.

It would be sad if they actually release them like that.

nuckinfutz
Jun 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
You are out of your mind to believe this.

You should read some of his other threads. That'll give you all the confirmation you need.

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
Can only hope that Apple is listening to the comments regarding their maps and adds a lot more to them in the coming months.

It would be sad if they actually release them like that.
There's iPhone adherents here who would find a way to say the new maps are somehow better.

matttye
Jun 12, 2012, 05:20 PM
There's iPhone adherents here who would find a way to say the new maps are somehow better.

It might be better in terms of features, but what good are features when the actual maps just aren't there yet?

The thing is, Google has been in the mapping business for a long time. Apple is only just coming into it. There's nothing wrong with Apple's maps not being as fined tuned or as good as Google's yet, but people shouldn't try to act like they are.

This thread is embarrassing.

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
It might be better in terms of features, but what good are features when the actual maps just aren't there yet?
I meant Applefans will say the Apple-bought maps are better than the Google-drawn maps. You just know those people are out there, waiting to unleash their delusions.

Yeah, its chilling how people live in their own little world and act like Apple is their god.

0m3ga
Jun 12, 2012, 05:29 PM

Good night google...

Well, Demo's are great and all, because they are in a controlled environment for that demonstration.

I think I'll hold my judgement on it until it is actually being used by millions of iphone users.

Oh and by the way, you do know Apple is dependent upon TomTom? I had a top of the line TomTom 930T and there have been a few instances where it sent me in either the wrong direction or the long way around, whereas my Google Nav app was perfect. I knew where I was going luckily and was just doing a comparison. Ironically, I was on my way to Apple HQ in Cupertino via Stanford University.

matttye
Jun 12, 2012, 05:29 PM
I meant Applefans will say the Apple-bought maps are better than the Google-drawn maps. You just know those people are out there, waiting to unleash their delusions.

Yeah, its chilling how people live in their own little world and act like Apple is their god.

I know, I was just saying that Apple's maps might have more features (I don't think they do though, as Google has public transport/transit navigation, street view and indoor maps too), but the actual maps aren't there yet, so I don't think anyone can realistically claim that Apple's maps are "better" yet, as the most important aspect is not yet there - the actual maps!

It's like.. imagine a powerhouse phone with the best specs in the world, but no screen to actually be able to use them. Useless!

0m3ga
Jun 12, 2012, 05:34 PM
I know, I was just saying that Apple's maps might have more features (I don't think they do though, as Google has public transport/transit navigation, street view and indoor maps too), but the actual maps aren't there yet, so I don't think anyone can realistically claim that Apple's maps are "better" yet, as the most important aspect is not yet there - the actual maps!

It's like.. imagine a powerhouse phone with the best specs in the world, but no screen to actually be able to use them. Useless!

Good point about Street View. I forgot about that feature (which is awesome, by the way). I don't remember seeing this feature with Apple's new gps/nav app? I do love how Google nav auto zoom's in and out as you reach your destination, and then as you approach the place you are going it auto initiates street view.

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 12, 2012, 05:37 PM

It's chilling how people live in their own little world and act like anything besides Apple is their god.

SurferMan
Jun 12, 2012, 05:37 PM
Well, Demo's are great and all, because they are in a controlled environment for that demonstration.

I think I'll hold my judgement on it until it is actually being used by millions of iphone users.

Oh and by the way, you do know Apple is dependent upon TomTom? I had a top of the line TomTom 930T and there have been a few instances where it sent me in either the wrong direction or the long way around, whereas my Google Nav app was perfect. I knew where I was going luckily and was just doing a comparison. Ironically, I was on my way to Apple HQ in Cupertino via Stanford University.TomTom app on iPhone has done that to me a few times before, Navigon never did. No issues with Google Map/Nav either. I remember TomTom once taking me to a family members house and it routed me to not only the next community, but to the back side where it acted like there was an entrance when it was nothing but tree's and a canal lol. Quick check on Google and it took me to where I was supposed to be.

0m3ga
Jun 12, 2012, 05:45 PM
TomTom app on iPhone has done that to me a few times before, Navigon never did. No issues with Google Map/Nav either. I remember TomTom once taking me to a family members house and it routed me to not only the next community, but to the back side where it acted like there was an entrance when it was nothing but tree's and a canal lol. Quick check on Google and it took me to where I was supposed to be.

I know what you mean. I retired that TomTom gps unit, because I simply don't trust tomtom anymore. And they used to be the numero uno nav device too!

I kinda feel sorry for those that will be using this app and get sent to the wrong place. But then again, Apple may have made this app perfect and fixed TomTom's flaws. Gonna have to wait and see.

lordofthereef
Jun 12, 2012, 05:57 PM
I know what you mean. I retired that TomTom gps unit, because I simply don't trust tomtom anymore. And they used to be the numero uno nav device too!

I kinda feel sorry for those that will be using this app and get sent to the wrong place. But then again, Apple may have made this app perfect and fixed TomTom's flaws. Gonna have to wait and see.

I have been sent down pointless detours with just about every GPS app out there, including Google Nav. I am no fan of Tom Tom, and I am also not here to defend Apple, but all apps have the tendency to slip. I am sure Apple's answer is not immune to this. I will reserve final judgement until I use it.

Bobby Corwen
Jun 12, 2012, 08:04 PM

Kinda like when Google copied the iPhone and Android owes its entire existance to Steve Jos? Kinda like they caught up then? Oh wait they never did.

Apple just chopped off one of Googles arms with a Katana today.

Sensamic
Jun 12, 2012, 08:16 PM

Good night google...

Let me guess... You are 14 years old right? Only that can explain such stupid comment.

Fanboys are so iiritating.

Next time try to make a serious and mature argument. If you cant then dont post childish nonsense.

Bobby Corwen
Jun 12, 2012, 08:17 PM
Let me guess... You are 14 years old right? Only that can explain such stupid comment.

What a childish response...

DodgeV83
Jun 12, 2012, 08:45 PM
In 100% of my tests of the TomTom iPhone app vs Google Nav, the TomTom app won. In one case Google Nav took him off the wrong exit, and increased the trip by 30 minutes. In another case, the TomTom iPhone (where I'm paying for HD Traffic), got me off the highway right before traffic started, where my friend stayed on. I again beat him by a significant margin.

b166er
Jun 12, 2012, 09:17 PM
I don't care how many POI's are on the map or even how detailed the overhead view is. What I want is a turn by turn program that gets me to my destination in the most efficient way possible and doesn't get me lost. If apple can do that for me then I'll never use google maps again. If they can't then it's no big thing because I didn't invest any money in it.

If a GPS app really works well I shouldn't even have to look at it that much.

Bobby Corwen
Jun 12, 2012, 09:37 PM
I don't care how many POI's are on the map or even how detailed the overhead view is. What I want is a turn by turn program that gets me to my destination in the most efficient way possible and doesn't get me lost. If apple can do that for me then I'll never use google maps again. If they can't then it's no big thing because I didn't invest any money in it.

If a GPS app really works well I shouldn't even have to look at it that much.

I'm pretty sure most reasonable quality map databases will do the job. This isn't 2004.

None are flawless, but none are unusable either. Anecdotal stories don't mean much. They all get you from A to B in 2012.

DanteMann
Jun 12, 2012, 09:39 PM

Good night google...

I vote this the most hilarious an kool aid approved post of alllllll Timmmmmme!!!

ChazUK
Jun 12, 2012, 09:39 PM
Superior maps? I lol'd.

Image (http://i47.tinypic.com/2hckx36.png)

That map looks fantastic. Google playing catchup again. :(

Apple...
Jun 12, 2012, 09:40 PM

The thing is, Google has been in the mapping business for a long time. Apple is only just coming into it. There's nothing wrong with Apple's maps not being as fined tuned or as good as Google's yet, but people shouldn't try to act like they are.

This is honestly the only sensible post in this thread. Google has been doing this for years...Apple just entered this sector. Plus, this is only the first beta.

AbyssImpact
Jun 12, 2012, 09:46 PM
iMaps > Google Maps. If you disagree, you are an android fanboy.

ebolamonkey3
Jun 12, 2012, 09:49 PM
Apple just caught up to Google, and I'm not sure they have as much map data. I don't understand all this talk about Google Maps being screwed.

ChazUK
Jun 12, 2012, 09:49 PM

If this is as far as the intelligent discussion goes, we've all lost. :(

Apple...
Jun 12, 2012, 09:53 PM
Is it okay if I say Apple's solution (while really impressive for being just introduced), is not quite on par with Google yet? Apple just entered mapping - Google has been doing this for years.

Apple just caught up to Google, and I'm not sure they have as much map data. I don't understand all this talk about Google Maps being screwed.
Compared side by side, Google Maps is not "screwed" by Apple's solution currently, but for being kicked off the iPhone, they definitely are (http://gizmodo.com/5897457/google-makes-four-times-more-money-from-ios-than-android).

If this is as far as the intelligent discussion goes, we've all lost. :(
Sadly, yes. :(

jazzneel
Jun 12, 2012, 09:59 PM
Hopefully google maps is still an option in the app store, as it's the most mature map application so far.

I wonder what apple will use for transit information, and if they are actually pulling every cities bus/subway/train schedules and compiling it in the app?

If they let google maps in the app store, it will be awesome, turn by turn from the apple maps, and google maps for everything else (for me personally).

Apple...
Jun 12, 2012, 10:03 PM
Hopefully google maps is still an option in the app store, as it's the most mature map application so far.

I wonder what apple will use for transit information, and if they are actually pulling every cities bus/subway/train schedules and compiling it in the app?

If they let google maps in the app store, it will be awesome, turn by turn from the apple maps, and google maps for everything else (for me personally).
With the scrutiny Apple got for rejecting Google Voice, they have to. I imagine Google will release an app - I see no reason why they wouldn't.

Vegastouch
Jun 12, 2012, 10:57 PM

Fanboys are so iiritating.

Next time try to make a serious and mature argument. If you cant then dont post childish nonsense.

He always does. Nobody rides Apple as hard as Bobby Corwin. Dont think ive ever seen him have possitive rep votes to any of his posts. Looks like Big.Mac.Daddy is going to follow that same path...lol

onthecouchagain
Jun 12, 2012, 11:27 PM
iPhone/iOS loyals who go crazy over things like Apple Maps - that Google does better and has been doing longer - aren't looking for a phone that does those things. They are looking for their iPhone to do those things.

It really is true, and there isn't necessarily anything wrong with this. If people like their iPhone that much, it's great for them that the iPhone can finally do things that the competition can do.

The difference, I think, comes from how these loyalist act about it. There's certainly a double standard and a ridiculous tinge of irony to say that when Apple copies the competition, they're just "matching industry standards," but if competitors copy Apple, then they're just copycats.

The Samsung Galaxy SIII comes to mind. All everyone could talk about was how S-Voice was like Siri, but failed to notice Smart Stay, or wireless charging, or direct dial via proximity sensor, or pop-up play, or gestures, tilt-to-scroll, etc.--all of which are novel or at the very least not copying Apple. If Apple had introduced these features first, we'd all be in an uproar over how Apple is pushing the frontiers again. But not Samsung.

I think that's when people get tired of iOS/Android argument. Otherwise, kudos for iPhone loyalists. I, for one, wish Apple would adopt even more features from Android. Quick toggles, a better keyboard, better browser, better mail... iOS could use more than just maps/navigation. I'm personally still stunned that there is no sign of an improved keyboard to iOS. Apple must be on something else if they think their keyboard still suffices.

(I'm sitting on a bricked Galaxy Nexus after owning a 4S, and while I think ICS is the superior operating system, I'm going to wait to see what the next gen iPhone brings before committing to any new phone. A dumbphone will do for now...)

----------

It's chilling how people live in their own little world and act like anything besides Apple is their god.

I find Android users are far more honest about Android's shortcomings, than iOS users about iOS' shortcomings. I shudder every time someone utters "it just works" -- you just don't get this sort of intellectual dishonesty as often or as fervently with Android users.

xAnthony
Jun 12, 2012, 11:31 PM

I thought you bought an Android phone? Why are you still here? Trying to justify your purchase?

b24pgg
Jun 12, 2012, 11:35 PM
All everyone could talk about was how S-Voice was like Siri
Not to mention that Google Voice Actions (http://www.google.com/mobile/voice-actions/) existed two years before Siri, which is practically identical in functionality.

AbyssImpact
Jun 12, 2012, 11:36 PM
Is it okay if I say Apple's solution (while really impressive for being just introduced), is not quite on par with Google yet? Apple just entered mapping - Google has been doing this for years.

No, because I'm pretty sure iMaps will be more simplistic to use.

ChazUK
Jun 13, 2012, 01:12 AM

How so?

Voice actions: "Navigate to Westminster, London" Or "Navigate to postcode"
Contacts: Tap on contact, tap their their saved address and open in Google Maps.
Latitude: Tap on friends avatar in Maps, get directions,
SMS: Share your current location via SMS from maps, friend has your exact location and navigates to you.

Then there is good old simple name search. Search for McDonalds in browser, tap on Google maps link in browser which can open Google Maps and navigate to McDonalds

I can't think of many more integrated simple ways of navigation myself.

Lara F
Jun 13, 2012, 01:24 AM
I can't believe Apple's NYC map doesn't even show the subways. Wow. :(

matttye
Jun 13, 2012, 01:32 AM
In 100% of my tests of the TomTom iPhone app vs Google Nav, the TomTom app won. In one case Google Nav took him off the wrong exit, and increased the trip by 30 minutes. In another case, the TomTom iPhone (where I'm paying for HD Traffic), got me off the highway right before traffic started, where my friend stayed on. I again beat him by a significant margin.

I don't believe for one minute that you and your friend drive around testing different sat navs against each other; why would anyone do that? But even on the offchance that you actually do, not everyone gets the same results. You will see that Tom Tom has been criticized in this thread.

I too have had bad results with Tom Tom.

----------

How so?

Voice actions: "Navigate to Westminster, London" Or "Navigate to postcode"
Contacts: Tap on contact, tap their their saved address and open in Google Maps.
Latitude: Tap on friends avatar in Maps, get directions,
SMS: Share your current location via SMS from maps, friend has your exact location and navigates to you.

Then there is good old simple name search. Search for McDonalds in browser, tap on Google maps link in browser which can open Google Maps and navigate to McDonalds

I can't think of many more integrated simple ways of navigation myself.

You can also just say "navigate to mcdonalds" into voice actions and it'll give you a list to choose from.

DodgeV83
Jun 13, 2012, 01:52 AM
I don't believe for one minute that you and your friend drive around testing different sat navs against each other; why would anyone do that?

Never said I did.

mrsir2009
Jun 13, 2012, 02:03 AM
If a competitor accomplishes something first, you're just a copycat to the public. Getting there first is a huge deal. Don't act like you guys wouldn't make fun of Google if Apple did built-in turn-by-turn directions first and Google came in 2nd a year later.

I have to agree that if it was Google that came in second everyone would be going "Oooh they copied Apple straight up!"

matttye
Jun 13, 2012, 02:32 AM
Never said I did.

That proves it. You can't even remember what you typed so it was quite obviously a fib. ;)

b166er
Jun 13, 2012, 02:37 AM
I'm pretty sure most reasonable quality map databases will do the job. This isn't 2004.

None are flawless, but none are unusable either. Anecdotal stories don't mean much. They all get you from A to B in 2012.

In my experience they all kind of suck. I've had 3 stand alone units over the years and ive used several different apps since I've owned an iPhone. Maybe it's just the area I live in. I've had some insane routes pop up. It's at a point now where if it's important for me to be somewhere I've never been at a certain time I either have to give myself an extra hour or do a trial run ahead of time. I'd like an app that works well enough to avoid that stuff.

nuckinfutz
Jun 13, 2012, 02:44 AM

Did you not watch the keynote? There's a Transit App API for developers to plug in data like this. Apple doesn't want to recreate the wheel when other's have already done a great job.

Apple4Ever&Ever
Jun 13, 2012, 02:45 AM
This is iPhone forum, if you self-heaters love crappy Google map so much, go and buy one of those cheaply made and poorly run spyware android phones.
Otherwise shutup and fell grateful to use the best piece of electronic on the planet!

matttye
Jun 13, 2012, 02:54 AM
This is iPhone forum, if you self-heaters love crappy Google map so much, go and buy one of those cheaply made and poorly run spyware android phones.
Otherwise shutup and fell grateful to use the best piece of electronic on the planet!

The maps suck though. Half of the street names aren't on them :(

Google maps are very mature.

iammike1
Jun 13, 2012, 07:00 AM
Not to mention that Google Voice Actions (http://www.google.com/mobile/voice-actions/) existed two years before Siri, which is practically identical in functionality.

Let's be real here. You can search my recent post and know I'm kinda having a love affair with my Galaxy Nexus right now. While Voice Actions can do some things Siri can't, it lacks the full automation that Siri has for things like composing a text or anything like that.

Both systems (Siri vs Google VA) have advantages and disadvantages right now. I hope they learn from each other and both advance. Me, I'll be happy when I can at least call up Google VA from anywhere in Android without having to drop out to the home screen.

Now, on the subject of maps. Here's my hopes and I've not heard anyone say this before. I think it's obvious that Google will bring a Maps app to the iPhone App Store. I believe they have said as much already.

I'm hoping that being forced to compete directly with built in Nav on the iPhone now will make them bring over their Google Maps Nav that they have kept to Android all this time.

For all I care, the new Apple Maps could be a pile of poo and I would consider it a win if it gets Google to bring over one of Androids best features just to try and keep a good foothold on iOS.

iOS is important to Google. They make quite a bit of their buck off of the iOS platform. If they bring over a Google Maps app like what we currently have built into iOS, why on earth would ANYONE use it?

iOS gets built in Nav and a full featured Google Maps Nav in the process? I consider that a win.

woodekm
Jun 13, 2012, 07:05 AM
Street view is one of my favorite google features.

cynics
Jun 13, 2012, 07:35 AM
Tomtom is the worst!! I heard good things about it in the UK but here in the states it's by far the worst stand alone I used. I had a map subscription and on every update I'd edit errors and upload them and they never got fixed. There maps where up to date just PACKED with errors. I mentioned in another thread that tomtom has railroad tracks running directly through my house. I had to do research to find out there used to be tracks here but weren't used and later torn up to help build tanks in WW2. So where in the hell is tomtom getting this info?!?!

Once I got an android smart phone I realized that not all gps's are that bad. Did some research and got a Garmin with lifetime maps since I used a gps 8-10 hours daily.

It's going to take a lot for apple to impress me when it comes to nav. I feel bad for you ip4 guys. Of all my friends with iPhones (15 or so) only 1 other has a 4S.

b24pgg
Jun 13, 2012, 07:41 AM
While Voice Actions can do some things Siri can't, it lacks the full automation that Siri has for things like composing a text
http://i.imgur.com/yW35M.jpg

newagemac
Jun 13, 2012, 07:47 AM

The problem with your reasoning is that the companies Apple is partnering with (like TomTom) have been in the mapping business for way longer than Google. And some are so far ahead of Google it is embarrassing for Google like the declassified military technology used in the 3D maps by the C3 company Apple purchased.

Iphonerookie84
Jun 13, 2012, 07:55 AM
The only thing that makes me mad about the new maps app for ios,is the fact that theirs no voice directions for iPhone 4 and 3Gs,but android has turn by turn voice activate directions for all android devices,that sucks!

iammike1
Jun 13, 2012, 08:00 AM
Image (http://i.imgur.com/yW35M.jpg)

I also have to remember to say exactly what Google VA expects me to say, in the order it expects me to say it, and in it's entirety in one go. That is not automation...at the very least, not what I meant by it.

With Siri it attempt to understand natural variances in how people ask for things. It also attempts to understand what you want and what information it might still need to complete your request...ask you for that information, etc.

If I use Google VA and just say I want to send a text to so-and-so. I'm going to get a window with the To: filled in and it'll be sitting there waiting for me to type unless I hit the dictation button on the keyboard.

Siri will ask me what I want the message to say.

That is what I mean by automation. Ideally, once I hit one button to start a Siri request, I wouldn't have to hit another button or look at the screen to be able to complete my request. Siri isn't quite that far along yet but much further along in that regard than Google VA.

Tarzanman
Jun 13, 2012, 10:53 AM
I also have to remember to say exactly what Google VA expects me to say, in the order it expects me to say it, and in it's entirety in one go. That is not automation...at the very least, not what I meant by it.

You're not making any sense.

You also have to remember what to say in your text messages, or when talking to people to make sure that you aren't misunderstood.

Also, you have to remember which buttons to press in which order or else your device won't work properly.

If you are trying to say that google voice actions are not idiot proof, then I will agree.... but it is every bit as robust as Siri.

BTW, reviewing the message before you send it is a pretty good idea to avoid problems that can arise.

What if your boss/employee and your girlfriend have the same first name and the phone screws up the message recipient? Might find yourself without a job just because you were too lazy to read the screen before hitting the send button

matttye
Jun 13, 2012, 11:50 AM
The problem with your reasoning is that the companies Apple is partnering with (like TomTom) have been in the mapping business for way longer than Google. And some are so far ahead of Google it is embarrassing for Google like the declassified military technology used in the 3D maps by the C3 company Apple purchased.

I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't show. Half of the street names are missing and the maps Apple have decided to go with don't include anywhere near as many points of interest, and there's no transit navigation, indoor navigation or street views of roads.

At this moment in time (note I'm NOT saying Apple won't one day be ahead of Google), the maps are not as mature as Google maps.

Dkorda
Jun 13, 2012, 12:11 PM
Google Navigation is a kick ass free turn by turn. When I had my EVO (what a pile) it was the best thing Android offered.

With that said, let's hope iMaps is as good.. Maybe Google will release Nanigation for iOS.

mbell1975
Jun 13, 2012, 12:31 PM

Yes and maybe one day, they will get this brand new technology called "4G". Its supposed to be the next big thing!

Zaft
Jun 13, 2012, 12:54 PM

Good night google...

at what cost? how come walking and transit directions taken out?

Bobby Corwen
Jun 13, 2012, 01:19 PM
at what cost? how come walking and transit directions taken out?

I dunno lol

I would never use public transportation anyway, nor do I take extensive walks for no reason just to see how long it would take me to walk somewhere.

I do know that I'm gonna be using that 3D view though.

iMaps didnt just catch up to Google Nav, it leaped over it.

In Google if you rotate the landscape, it looks like a flat 2D world on a 3D plane.

With Apple they come to life right before your eyes. I can't wait to re-visit places I lived in my childhood in flyover and see my old neighborhoods again. It's gonna be a rich experience.

matttye
Jun 13, 2012, 01:26 PM
I dunno lol

I would never use public transportation anyway, nor do I take extensive walks for no reason just to see how long it would take me to walk somewhere.

In Google if you rotate the landscape, it looks like a flat 2D world on a 3D plane.

With Apple they come to life right before your eyes. I can't wait to re-visit places I lived in my childhood in flyover and see my old neighborhoods again. It's gonna be a rich experience.

So you won't use walking directions, but you'll use flyovers?

You've GOT to be trolling. :(

cynics
Jun 13, 2012, 01:42 PM
I dunno lol

You say you don't take extensive walks as if that's useless and not something millions of people esp tourist do every year in pretty much any major city.

Then explain how you can't wait to virtually fly over your childhood stomping grounds.

One of those is useless I agree.

Apple will get there one day no doubt but it's going to take awhile. Just too many mapping errors from what I've seen. Like I mentioned earlier IN MY AREA (northern east MD) tomtom maps are terrible! Teleatlas specifically, didn't hold a candle to google and navteq.

It's been a year since I used tomtom maps but I seriously doubt they've caught up. Worst and most dangerous thing it would always try to do is send you the wrong way on a one way in crowded city streets. Had to really pay attention for that then wait for it to recalculate.

Sensamic
Jun 13, 2012, 01:45 PM
So you won't use walking directions, but you'll use flyovers?

You've GOT to be trolling. :(

Im sure he has not even used Google Maps ever...

You want to see you "childhood" neighbourhood? Theres an app called Google Earth already available...

And the flyover is just for BIG cities!

matttye
Jun 13, 2012, 01:54 PM

You want to see you "childhood" neighbourhood? Theres an app called Google Earth already available...

I think he's trolling.. just like the owner of BGR :D

walie
Jun 13, 2012, 02:07 PM
What i find amusing is people saying "Oh Apple just got into the map app field, so its ok that everything about it still needs work". This is Apple we're talking about here, they don't start on a project and immediately show it off to the world. They've definitely been working on this for a few years ever since they acquired those mapping companies, possibly even before that. Does everyone expect that hundreds of cities will be added to support 3D flyover between now and the fall? I wouldn't expect a major improvement from now until release.

Oh and Bobby, a little off topic, but care to comment on this??:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1368647

matttye
Jun 13, 2012, 02:13 PM
What i find amusing is people saying "Oh Apple just got into the map app field, so its ok that everything about it still needs work". This is Apple we're talking about here, they don't start on a project and immediately show it off to the world. They've definitely been working on this for a few years ever since they acquired those mapping companies, possibly even before that. Does everyone expect that hundreds of cities will be added to support 3D flyover between now and the fall? I wouldn't expect a major improvement from now until release.

Oh and Bobby, a little off topic, but care to comment on this??:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1368647

Google doesn't do that either.. Google probably had their maps in the worlds a few years before the release. Google's maps have been out and in customers hands for a long time, so they've had lots of time to listen to user feedback and expand.

Apple is still new in the mapping business, hence why they're not as good (yet).

Internaut
Jun 13, 2012, 02:26 PM
This is a bold move for Apple and logical, bearing in mind:

-Google are not above keeping (or at least delaying) new features for Android product differentiation
-Siri integration would likely never have happened with Google Maps.

However, it is wholly unrealistic to expect the Apple product to be better out of the door. Make no mistake; Google Maps is a very solid product that supports driving, walking and public transport. Which would you want with you for that city break? Also, I would question moving into the mapping business at all, unless Apple plans to go the whole hog and have Apple powered cars that drive themselves. Time will tell but Apple are starting from a long way behind.

Personally, I'm surprised Apple didn't simply buy someone like TomTom who already had the cartography side sorted out.

Consultant
Jun 13, 2012, 02:37 PM

TomTom has been in business since the 90s, before Google was founded, and way before Google Maps.

And Google prevents Apple from having turn-by-turn navigation:
http://obamapacman.com/2012/01/why-iphone-doesnt-have-real-time-navigation-with-google-maps/

You can use Google Maps on iPhone with browsers such as Safari.

woodekm
Jun 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
Id laugh if Google sued Apple for using any of their maps to create anything.

I believe google initially bought Keyhole which was the first satellite imagery for land and google added their road images on top. Thought it was about 10 years ago. I loved those older - but quite outdated - images and google took them to another level..

ct2k7
Jun 13, 2012, 03:00 PM
I personally feel that the current iteration of Maps in iOS 6, using OSM, TomTom etc is lacking compared to the same by Google.

On the subject of images, the resolution and data is behind what is currently available, however, I have noticed that there are some good ones provided by Bing.

Bobby Corwen
Jun 13, 2012, 04:04 PM

Google Earth doesn't have Flyover-style buildings, they are instead flat 2D terrain objects that you can only view from the top down.

It's nothing like Flyover.

And if I ever need street view for some odd reason I can still use google maps in safari.

But 99% of my navigation will be done in iMaps because it handles all my typical needs perfectly and beautifully elegantly.

matttye
Jun 13, 2012, 04:14 PM
Google Earth doesn't have Flyover-style buildings, they are instead flat 2D terrain objects that you can only view from the top down.

And if I ever need street view for some odd reason I can still use google maps in safari.

But 99% of my navigation will be done in iMaps because it handles all my typical needs perfectly and beautifully elegantly.

So you might not ever need street view, but you need flyover to browse around your old haunts? You could browse around your old haunts with street view.

Typical unthought-through fanboy argument. :rolleyes:

chiefpavvy
Jun 13, 2012, 04:21 PM
They were "clapped" in the sense that they will lose (Google) a *LOT* of revenue. Google makes more from iOS than it does from Android and that's a fact.

I'm fine with the improvements but don't see them as a killer or must-have feature. My navigation will continue to be through a third party (Navigon) because I prefer having everything available offline when no cellular data is available. For folks in the big metro, it may suffice. Now if they would add the option to cache the entire map database and POI list I might take another look...

As for stopping fAndroid trolls, nothing will. Now the moniker is "But only certain devices can use Flyover..." and "Wow welcome to what we had years ago!"

Apple was smart to add it though, the number one response from an Android fan is "But I would miss Google Navigation" and this will mitigate that--of course they will find something else.

iammike1
Jun 13, 2012, 04:35 PM
You're not making any sense.

You also have to remember what to say in your text messages, or when talking to people to make sure that you aren't misunderstood.

Also, you have to remember which buttons to press in which order or else your device won't work properly.

If you are trying to say that google voice actions are not idiot proof, then I will agree.... but it is every bit as robust as Siri.

BTW, reviewing the message before you send it is a pretty good idea to avoid problems that can arise.

What if your boss/employee and your girlfriend have the same first name and the phone screws up the message recipient? Might find yourself without a job just because you were too lazy to read the screen before hitting the send button

*sigh*

1. GVA you have a specific command you have to give it to get a specific action. It does not try to interpret what you wanted. There are hundereds of ways to ask for the same thing...Siri is one step further along on trying to understand all those ways of asking so it can give you what you want. GVA expects you to say "send text "name" "message". With Siri I can say "send text", or "send sms", or even "tell "so-and-so" that "message". That is the difference between a Voice Assistant and Voice Control, or as Google calls it, Voice Actions.

2. As far as pushing buttons, no, it's not a big deal if I'm using Siri or GVA at my desk...but if I'm driving it's certainly more beneficial for Siri to ask me if I want to confirm or cancel something rather than trying to hit the touch button to confirm or cancel while driving down the interstate at 70MPH.

3. Reviewing the message. GVA I must take my eyes off the road, for example, and read the message then press Send. Siri I can say "review the message" and it will read the message back to me, then I can say "send it" and off it goes all without looking away from the road.

These are all the kinds of things I mean when I say Siri is more autonomous. I did not say Siri was more robust. GVA is more robust as I can do more things with it...but it's not at autonomous as Siri.

kdarling
Jun 13, 2012, 04:51 PM
TomTom has been in business since the 90s, before Google was founded, and way before Google Maps.

Sure, that's why companies use their data for road maps.

However, TomTom never tried taking global street views or mapping cell towers and hotspots.

Google has also spent a lot of effort creating really nice terrain overlays from a variety of global information.

Then there's all the public transit integration.

http://obamapacman.com/2012/01/why-iphone-doesnt-have-real-time-navigation-with-google-maps/

That article says, "In reality, the reason iPhone doesn’t have real time navigation is because Google placed all kinds of restrictions on Google Maps use. Here’s the current Google Maps/Earth Terms of Service."

What the author of that article totally misses, is that Google has no choice in the matter. The providers of road data (e.g. TeleAtlas) are the ones whose rules do not allow using their map info for realtime navigation unless you pay them for that use.

The reason is, they sell their navigation data to standalone GPS makers, automobile GPS manufacturers, and so forth.

SurferMan
Jun 13, 2012, 09:28 PM

But 99% of my navigation will be done in iMaps because it handles all my typical needs perfectly and beautifully elegantly.You must have missed that Google is/was already working on it's 3D update for images, ala "flyover", using real images... Apples are computer generated. Either way, whose going to honestly use it on either iOS or Android..... are you really going to sit there on your phone and view it? I mean for what? That goes for Google as well, I guess some people will like it for whatever reason... just a gimmick to me.

And how is it "beautifully elegant", hell you can't even use it right now in almost any area especially foreign. Even in the states it's totally buggy as it's not near completed and more like barely into alpha stage. But you already know how it's going to 100% look at operate?

danahn17
Jun 13, 2012, 09:52 PM
And how is it "beautifully elegant", hell you can't even use it right now in almost any area especially foreign. Even in the states it's totally buggy as it's not near completed and more like barely into alpha stage. But you already know how it's going to 100% look at operate?

Oh come on... we know that it's going to be beautifully elegant because "it just works."

;) :p :rolleyes:

Sarcasm aside though.... this thread was a bad idea from the start. I hate how over here, if a competitor catches up to Apple, it's copying and anti-innovation... but when Apple catches up to a competitor, it's an amazing benefit Apple is giving all mankind and that the competitor is doomed to failure. People trying to have their cake and eat it too. :rolleyes:

Jagardn
Jun 13, 2012, 10:04 PM

And it's amazing how some people spend a good part of their day trolling in a forum instead of doing something productive.:rolleyes:

onthecouchagain
Jun 13, 2012, 10:35 PM
Google Maps vs Apple Maps:

http://gizmodo.com/5918176/google-maps-vs-apple-maps-a-side-by-side-comparison

If the maps were reversed, and that was Apple's Map on the left side, people would give Google hell for such a crummy, information-less map system, and praise how Apple has street view, better traffic info, bus routes, way more street and store information, etc., and that no one can match up in competition.

JAT
Jun 14, 2012, 12:22 AM
I don't believe for one minute that you and your friend drive around testing different sat navs against each other; why would anyone do that? But even on the offchance that you actually do, not everyone gets the same results. You will see that Tom Tom has been criticized in this thread.

I too have had bad results with Tom Tom.
Well, I have tested them thusly, and read extensive reviews by others that have, as well. The reason is to find out which is best. You couldn't guess that reason? And you all keep arguing 2 different topics interchangeably, which doesn't work. Let's separate them.

Maps:
NONE of them have perfect maps. I carry a paper map, Garmin standalone, and iPhone with many options for my delivery job. I have had destinations that were on zero of these maps and I had to figure it out myself once I got close. The newest map is not even always the best, but I do find online maps to be a bit more accurate more of the time, presumably because they are more quickly updated.

Routing:
TT is superior for its routing. This has little to do with maps, it is the routing software that is great, and importantly, adaptable. That said, I can find routing errors with all of them, as well. None of them are perfect for routing, either. Knocking just one for imperfection is silly, esp if it happens to have more success more of the time. Garmin claims to have a system similar to TT's IQ routing, now. I haven't tried that one, yet.

The routing is most important if you are using a gps frequently. If you use one only occasionally, random positive/negative results for either mapping or routing will occur and frankly, any such reports are useless. Seldom does a non-updated map affect me as much as a poor routing choice.

realeric
Jun 14, 2012, 12:23 AM
There are three major maps in the world.

NAVTEQ (owned and operated by Nokia)
TeleAtlas (owned and operated by TomTom)
Google (owned and operated by Google)

Microsoft's Bing uses NAVTEQ maps. Garmin also uses NAVTEQ maps. TomTom uses TeleAtlas maps. Google uses Google maps. Both Microsoft and Google purchase satellite photos from 3rd party companies, DigitalGlobe.

When Google launched their own maps on 2005, TeleAtlas had been doing mapping services for more than 20 years. Do you really think Google shouldn't have done it because TeleAtlas was far better then Google's on 2005?

Apple will get better maps and turn-by-turn navigation one day. They have technology(C3), experience(TomTom), maps (TeleAtlas), and money !!! This is the only way you can get a free turn-by-turn navigation in your iPhone. Google will NEVER EVER develop it for you NOR allow Apple to do it for you as long as Apple uses Google maps.

Ryan658
Jun 14, 2012, 12:30 AM
Android or Apple. which one is the best ?

Seiga
Jun 14, 2012, 12:42 AM
Honestly this is no contest. Unless the iPhone has built in GPS and doesn't use triangulation, Google and Android will be far superior in the map category.

cyks
Jun 14, 2012, 12:47 AM
Honestly this is no contest. Unless the iPhone has built in GPS and doesn't use triangulation, Google and Android will be far superior in the map category.

You do realize that practically ALL new cell phones (for the past few years) have built in GPS, right?

Seiga
Jun 14, 2012, 12:56 AM
You do realize that practically ALL new cell phones (for the past few years) have built in GPS, right?

But notice I said the iPhone doesn't. Yeah, all new cell phones have it, but the iPhone for 5 years has never implemented a GPS chip.

iammike1
Jun 14, 2012, 01:17 AM
But notice I said the iPhone doesn't. Yeah, all new cell phones have it, but the iPhone for 5 years has never implemented a GPS chip.

You have GOT to be trolling. LOL

Seiga
Jun 14, 2012, 01:33 AM
You have GOT to be trolling. LOL

Not trolling, just stating a fact. Where does it say on the iPhone that it contains a GPS chip? Android phones contain them, but iPhones don't. The OG droid had a GPS chip built in. Google maps and navigation is much more accurate than iPhones triangulation of the cell towers.

Apple can have all the fancy stuff added, but if it stinks at directions, then their software is no good.

Prove me wrong.

cyks
Jun 14, 2012, 01:40 AM
Not trolling, just stating a fact. Where does it say on the iPhone that it contains a GPS chip? Android phones contain them, but iPhones don't. The OG droid had a GPS chip built in. Google maps and navigation is much more accurate than iPhones triangulation of the cell towers.

Apple can have all the fancy stuff added, but if it stinks at directions, then their software is no good.

Prove me wrong.

Like I said, nearly ALL cell phones in recent years have GSP chips included... and yes, the iPhone is certainly on that list.

Please do a little research before stating your 'facts' (Google can be your friend here)...especially if your only proof is because Apple chooses not to print it on the back of the case.

Seiga
Jun 14, 2012, 01:47 AM
Like I said, nearly ALL cell phones in recent years have GSP chips included... and yes, the iPhone is certainly on that list.

Please do a little research before stating your 'facts' (Google can be your friend here)...especially if your only proof is because Apple chooses not to print it on the back of the case.

Using cell tower triangulation is not the same as a Global Positioning Satellite. Yes, Google is my friend. This is the single reason why iPhone "GPS" is not as quick as Android.

Xian Zhu Xuande
Jun 14, 2012, 01:52 AM
Prove me wrong.
How do you think it gets precise GPS data? From RDF fields emanating from the Apple Mothership? It has had a GPS for a long time as you would know if you put even a half hearted effort into researching it.

Here's some tech specs grabbed for the 4.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-4/specs.html

Don't be a troll.

nuckinfutz
Jun 14, 2012, 02:00 AM
http://www4.anandtech.com/Show/Index/4971?cPage=2&all=False&sort=0&page=9&slug=apple-iphone-4s-review-att-verizon

The iPhone 4 previously used a BCM4750 single chip GPS receiver, and shared the 2.4 GHz WiFi antenna as shown many times in diagrams. We reported with the CDMA iPhone 4 that Qualcomm’s GPS inside MDM6600 was being used in place of some discrete solution, and showed a video demonstrating its improved GPS fix. I suspected at the time that the CDMA iPhone 4 might be using GLONASS from MDM6600 (in fact, the MDM6600 amss actually flashed onto the CDMA iPhone 4 includes many GLONASS references), but never was able to concretely confirm it was actually being used.

MDM6610 inside the 4S inherits the same Qualcomm GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) Gen8 support, namely GPS and its Russian equivalent, GLONASS. The two can be used in conjunction at the same time and deliver a more reliable 3D fix onboad MDM6610, which is what the 4S does indeed appear to be using. GPS and GLONASS are functionally very similar, and combined support for GPS and GLONASS at the same time is something most modern receivers do now. There are even receivers which support the EU’s standard, Galileo, though it isn’t completed yet. This time around, Apple is being direct about its inclusion of GLONASS. The GPS inside MDM6610 fully supports standalone mode, and assisted mode from UMTS, GSM, OMA, and gpsOneXTRA.

Sheesh

iammike1
Jun 14, 2012, 02:01 AM
iPhone 3GS included GPS with A-GPS support.

http://m.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_3gs-2826.php

Now stop trolling.

onthecouchagain
Jun 14, 2012, 08:30 AM

Google Maps is not complicated to use.

At all.

Lindenhurst
Jun 14, 2012, 08:36 AM

At all.

You watch. In 1 year, Apple will be credited with making Navigation..."just work"...

Never fails.

Netherscourge
Jun 14, 2012, 08:44 AM
Google was already looking into adding turn-by-turn to their iOS map APP. In fact, right now all that stands in their way is Apple's iTunes app screeners.

(It'll just be an APP when Apple's Maps comes out in iOS 6, but rest assured, Google Maps will STILL be on our iOS devices - just as APPS)

And chances are, most of us will still use it a lot more than Apple's maps.

iammike1
Jun 14, 2012, 08:49 AM
Google was already looking into adding turn-by-turn to their iOS map APP.

Source? I'm genuinely interested in this as I love Google Nav on my GNex.

b24pgg
Jun 14, 2012, 08:53 AM
Source? I'm genuinely interested in this as I love Google Nav on my GNex.
Google wanted to add turn-by-turn to iOS back in 2009 but Apple rejected it.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/28/google_says_its_navigation_will_come_to_iphone_if_apple_approves.html

surma884
Jun 14, 2012, 09:08 AM

THIS. Google came out with turn by turn navigation at the end of 2009. 2.5 years later Apple gets rid of Google for its maps. A little bit late, but not too late.

vastoholic
Jun 14, 2012, 09:11 AM
I bought Navigon about 3 or 4 years ago anyway. I don't need 3D view or fly over. The turn by turn was my most intriguing feature, but if those bugs exists in the final version and the maps aren't as detailed, then I'll keep using Navigon.

kevinof
Jun 14, 2012, 09:13 AM
that's what fan-boys will have you believe.

You watch. In 1 year, Apple will be credited with making Navigation..."just work"...

Never fails.

iammike1
Jun 14, 2012, 09:22 AM
Google wanted to add turn-by-turn to iOS back in 2009 but Apple rejected it.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/28/google_says_its_navigation_will_come_to_iphone_if_apple_approves.html

Now THAT to me is interesting.

B777Forevar
Jun 14, 2012, 10:08 AM
lol Arctic Ocean.

Looks like Santa relocated to New Delhi

http://i.imgur.com/NcuSY.jpg

Bobby Corwen
Jun 14, 2012, 12:17 PM
lol Arctic Ocean.

Looks like Santa relocated to New Delhi

Image (http://i.imgur.com/NcuSY.jpg)

Oh yeah, that's really gonna affect my day-to-day commutting and errands...

Youre talking to a guy who was happy when Mapquest came out. It did the job.

To me all that matters is that it is all integrated and works smoothly.

In Google maps when you zoom, there is a moment where the whole system loads the next level of resolution. In the iMaps demo at WWDC, the zooming seemed to be on another lever of vectorness. And if it can deliver that; smoothness and coolness, it is already better than Google Nav. Everything else is unnecessary extras.

The maps on Google seem to be more color coded for major and minor roads vs a more cleaner look on iMaps so far. I dunno about that or how important it is. But in the big picture, I think it's a non-issue. Again, I will have to test this in real life conditions if I feel I miss the Google Map style.

I think not.

One day all major cities will be a recreated 3D model that you can fly around in like spiderman with 1:1 real life accuracy.

Apple has moved us one step closer to that with Flyover, and have made Navigation that much smoother and integrated.

Google will rue the day that they didn't heed Steve's warnings.

Axne1
Jun 14, 2012, 12:21 PM
All of this is just extra as fat as maps go. I'm using Waze for my nav and it works great.

walie
Jun 14, 2012, 12:54 PM

In Google maps when you zoom, there is a moment where the whole system loads the next level of resolution. In the iMaps demo at WWDC, the zooming seemed to be on another lever of vectorness. And if it can deliver that; smoothness and coolness, it is already better than Google Nav. Everything else is unnecessary extras.

The maps on Google seem to be more color coded for major and minor roads vs a more cleaner look on iMaps so far. I dunno about that or how important it is. But in the big picture, I think it's a non-issue. Again, I will have to test this in real life conditions if I feel I miss the Google Map style.

I think not.

One day all major cities will be a recreated 3D model that you can fly around in like spiderman with 1:1 real life accuracy.

Apple has moved us one step closer to that with Flyover, and have made Navigation that much smoother and integrated.

You do know that the android version of googlemaps used vector based maps in 2010 right?

You do know that as you say "one day all major cities will be a recreated 3D model...blah blah" googlemaps will have the same things right? In fact, they already have a head start on it

Or are you too busy buying the new 17" macbook pro to realize all this? Oh wait....

Bobby Corwen
Jun 14, 2012, 03:23 PM
You do know that the android version of googlemaps used vector based maps in 2010 right?

You do know that as you say "one day all major cities will be a recreated 3D model...blah blah" googlemaps will have the same things right? In fact, they already have a head start on it

Or are you too busy buying the new 17" macbook pro to realize all this? Oh wait....

Yes "walie" in all good faith, I understand that.

When I said superior vector based maps, I meant that they seem to zoom in and out faster. I never said that they were the only ones with vector technology.

In the demo it looked like the zooming in and out of resolutions seemed to be more dynamic and responsive than anything I have experienced in Google Earth or maps.

Are you saying Google Nav is that responsive when going from city view to block view?

I understand it has vector technology as well, but how responsive is it?

As for the future, we shall see about that.

As for the 17, we shall see about that too, but when I noticed that they don't even sell the old MBPs in 17 anymore, that was not a good sign. It's still not set in stone that 17 is extinct tho. But it's also looking scary.

chakraj
Jun 14, 2012, 03:27 PM
Finally I will be able to have free Navigation on my iphone 4. I cant wait for IOS 6 to hit andf get the Navigation and Siri on my 4... Oh Ya!

All of you fragmented androids can kiss it, now that the iphone has some of the new features, you guys are so in the past.

Now that all IOS products will have the same features, un like you fragmented android people... In your face! :apple:

I am of course being facetiouse as the iPhone 4 won't have that function.

nickchallis92
Jun 14, 2012, 04:00 PM
I don't think anyone using android is jealous that they don't have iMaps.

not anyone,

nobody.:o

takeshi74
Jun 14, 2012, 07:15 PM
Using cell tower triangulation is not the same as a Global Positioning Satellite. Yes, Google is my friend. This is the single reason why iPhone "GPS" is not as quick as Android.
Your first sentence is the only correct statement. However, the rest is completely incorrect. If you can Google then you can find the iPhone's specs. Even if you can't they've been linked here for you. The iPhone's GPS receiver is a GPS receiver. You can't call something GPS if it doesn't use the GPS satellites for positioning.

You might be thinking that aGPS is tower triangulation but that's a common misconception. Again, you can't call it GPS if it doesn't use the GPS satellites. Again, learn to use Google and read up. Even your beloved OG Droid had aGPS and I quite found often found mine unable to get a fix because of its poor aGPS implementation.

The iPhone GPS is certainly quick.

Not trolling, just stating a fact.
If you're not trolling then you're hopelessly ignorant. You certainly don't know what fact means.

Dkorda
Jun 14, 2012, 08:15 PM

Wow some people need to do some research before they post.

iPhone and iPads with cellular radios (3G antenna) have GPS. WiFi only iPads DO NOT have GPS chips. What makes an iPhone/iPad find its location quicker is WiFi.. That's why it suggests you turn on your WiFi for better location information.

Thus the entire debate over location gate. All Apple was trying to do was locate you faster.. The only reason why your WiFi locations were stored on your device.

lordofthereef
Jun 14, 2012, 08:29 PM

You are shown concrete evidence of where your "superior vector based maps" contain erroneous information (and a pretty big mistake, at that) and you basically say "that doesn't bother me". :confused:

If something as huge as the Arctic Ocean is mislabeled, what makes you think all the "little things" are all properly labeled? I am literally... baffled.

AbyssImpact
Jun 14, 2012, 08:38 PM

At all.

Sorry but anything Apple makes is more simplistic than it's competitor. And yes, Google maps is very hard to use according to my grandparents.

lordofthereef
Jun 14, 2012, 08:39 PM
Sorry but anything Apple makes is more simplistic than it's competitor. And yes, Google maps is very hard to use according to my grandparents.

Have you used Apple's maps? They aren't any simpler to use than the google maps were previously. Well, unless you like not getting transit directions (one less thing to get confused about). ;)

Vegastouch
Jun 14, 2012, 08:48 PM

http://www.thenflforum.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/laugh.gif

iammike1
Jun 14, 2012, 08:57 PM
Have you used Apple's maps? They aren't any simpler to use than the google maps were previously. Well, unless you like not getting transit directions (one less thing to get confused about). ;)

Transit directions will be there, just not provided natively by Apple. Third party will be able to tie this into the Maps app from what I'm reading.

Bobby Corwen
Jun 14, 2012, 09:53 PM
You are shown concrete evidence of where your "superior vector based maps" contain erroneous information (and a pretty big mistake, at that) and you basically say "that doesn't bother me". :confused:

If something as huge as the Arctic Ocean is mislabeled, what makes you think all the "little things" are all properly labeled? I am literally... baffled.

Don't be so baffled.

Think about it.

Those errors will most likely be fixed. It's Apple.

oooooooooooooooooohh

Checkmate.

ct2k7
Jun 14, 2012, 11:42 PM
Don't be so baffled.

Think about it.

oooooooooooooooooohh

Checkmate.

My parents thing Google Maps is hard, but when they tried Apple Maps, they didn't fare any better, in fact, they fared worse - they didn't know they had to zoom in to get more information - they thought the maps was lacking.

Checkmate.

stevemiller
Jun 14, 2012, 11:45 PM

I think not.

I have some important life advice for you:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WHBO_Qc-Q

lordofthereef
Jun 15, 2012, 10:06 AM
Don't be so baffled.

Think about it.

Do I think they will be fixed? Of course. But you are sitting here boasting that Apple's maps are better. Well, right now, they are decidedly not. To put it more simply, you are boasting over something that might could be, but isn't yet. THAT, sir, is what baffles me. Because Google Maps most certainly did not get "clapped" as you put it. Not by what we have seen so far in real world use, anyway.

There is also something to be said for Apple's failure thus far to fix Siri, Photostream syncing, iMessages send/receive errors, and probably a few other things. Remember, this is Apple, not God. There is a huge difference.

----------

Transit directions will be there, just not provided natively by Apple. Third party will be able to tie this into the Maps app from what I'm reading.

So third parties will have direct access to the maps app? Or will we need to install a transit app that we launch that then in turn launches the maps app and gives us these transit directions? The first I can certainly live with. The latter is pretty inelegant.

Also, where did you read this? I woud be interested to have a read myself (not because I don't believe you, but because I am generally interested).

sulpfiction
Jun 15, 2012, 10:26 AM

Wow! It's amazing how such a short statement could say so much about the author. :o4u

RMferrer
Jun 15, 2012, 11:38 AM
Don't be so baffled.

Think about it.

oooooooooooooooooohh

Checkmate.

like siri?;)

Bobby Corwen
Jun 15, 2012, 02:53 PM
Do I think they will be fixed? Of course. But you are sitting here boasting that Apple's maps are better. Well, right now, they are decidedly not. To put it more simply, you are boasting over something that might could be, but isn't yet. THAT, sir, is what baffles me. Because Google Maps most certainly did not get "clapped" as you put it. Not by what we have seen so far in real world use, anyway.

Oh they got clapped alright.

Look at these two photos. Tell me which one is cooler. Be honest with yourself.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/dontcallmejerome/c9130849.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/dontcallmejerome/1c8fd425.jpg

The way you can tell there is tall buildings in exhibit B is by how much shade there is near them...

Can you figure out which one is better than the other?

Electric turd
Jun 15, 2012, 02:57 PM

Image (http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/dontcallmejerome/c9130849.jpg)

Image (http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/dontcallmejerome/1c8fd425.jpg)

The way you can tell there is tall buildings in exhibit B is by how much shade there is near them...

Guess you missed the google maps keynote 2 weeks ago? they have the exact same technology that apple bought from c3 mapping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Douyfa7l8&feature=player_embedded

Bobby Corwen
Jun 15, 2012, 03:06 PM
Guess you missed the google maps keynote 2 weeks ago? they have the exact same technology that apple bought from c3 mapping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Douyfa7l8&feature=player_embedded

That will be nice to play around with on Google Earth, but I didn't see anywhere it says it will be on Google Navigation for Android....

ChazUK
Jun 15, 2012, 03:07 PM
TBH, this one looks pretty cool to me.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02240/maps_2240817b.jpg

Electric turd
Jun 15, 2012, 03:08 PM
Is the 3d mode in navigation or just flyover??? From what we were shown at WWDC navigation was only in the simple map view

cyks
Jun 15, 2012, 03:14 PM
That will be nice to play around with on Google Earth, but I didn't see anywhere it says it will be on Google Navigation for Android....

As posted in the video's info... posted by Google:
"Since 2006, we've had textured 3D buildings in Google Earth, and we're excited to announce that we'll begin adding 3D models to entire metropolitan areas to Google Earth on mobile devices in the near future."

Bobby Corwen
Jun 15, 2012, 03:19 PM
As posted in the video's info... posted by Google:

walie
Jun 15, 2012, 03:21 PM

This quote shows that you have no idea how googlemaps works on android

Bobby Corwen
Jun 15, 2012, 03:23 PM
This quote shows that you have no idea how googlemaps works on android

Ok?

Aware me.

Electric turd
Jun 15, 2012, 03:29 PM

really? I didnt see where 3d was available for apple navigation either

lordofthereef
Jun 15, 2012, 03:39 PM

Apple's picture is cooler. But what looks cooler doesn't necessarily translate to more useful. Until this is available in more than 5 cities (I picked a random number... but I KNOW most large cities, London being one of them still don't have this feature) I am not going to pass judgement. It certainly has the potential to be better. As it stands, it certainly is not.

As mentioned in the other areas Apple has failed to deliver, namely Siri, I don't expect the image you showed to be an accurate representation of the cities that most Americans, let alone the world, lives in for year(s) to come.

Anyway, you are obviously blinded. This is fine. But I am also obviously wasting my time here. The plethora of down votes on every one of your posts speaks for itself btw. :rolleyes:

Eddie Bombay
Jun 15, 2012, 03:45 PM
About time Apple catches up to their competitors.

Meanee
Jun 15, 2012, 03:48 PM

Great comparison. Probably pre-rendered image vs older version, not fully loaded image. :rolleyes: A real argument winner right there. Case closed. We can all go home now.

macMD
Jun 15, 2012, 03:58 PM
I'm sure I will use the new Maps app, and will add Google Maps as well along with the other numerous GPS related apps I carry on my iDevices. Why would I settle for just one so, so app when none are totally perfect. Of course now that Google Maps has to be separate we can likely see all of those features Google didn't want to give Apple included at no charge.

Bobby Corwen
Jun 15, 2012, 03:59 PM
really? I didnt see where 3d was available for apple navigation either

Look at these two videos. Tell me which one is cooler.

-Z2uiDo_SaM

Vs

Skip to 3:00
Mrl14SrhaUM

Can you figure out which one is better than the other??

Electric turd
Jun 15, 2012, 04:04 PM
I'm sure I will use the new Maps app, and will add Google Maps as well along with the other numerous GPS related apps I carry on my iDevices. Why would I settle for just one so, so app when none are totally perfect. Of course now that Google Maps has to be separate we can likely see all of those features Google didn't want to give Apple included at no charge.

He speaks the truth

----------

Look at these two videos. Tell me which one is cooler.

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Z2uiDo_SaM)

Vs

Skip to 3:00
YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mrl14SrhaUM)

Can you figure out which one is better than the other??

Again....you are comparing the navigation part of google to a GIMMICK "flyover", google has that too. I dont understand why you cant figure that out!!

You really are a blind fanboy arent you?

Bobby Corwen
Jun 15, 2012, 04:06 PM
TBH, this one looks pretty cool to me.

Image (http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02240/maps_2240817b.jpg)

Except your photo is from the future and doesn't exist yet.

Great comparison. Probably pre-rendered image vs older version, not fully loaded image. :rolleyes: A real argument winner right there. Case closed. We can all go home now.

My photo was screen capped less than an hour ago on a fully updated current copy of Google Earth.

They might be coming out with 3D models in the future, but they don't have it yet, and they are starting with San Fran only it seems in the future.

I don't see how it compares. I also don't see how google Nav has anything to do with the Google Earth app. They are two separate apps even on Android

iMaps will have Flyover, turn by turn directions, and a cooler "feel" to it, -all in one free super-app.

Google will have flyover and turn by turn in two separate apps.

I'm pretty sure that's how it is...

Don't try to confuse me.

Electric turd
Jun 15, 2012, 04:18 PM

My photo was screen capped less than an hour ago on a fully updated current copy of Google Earth.

They might be coming out with 3D models in the future, but they don't have it yet, and they are starting with San Fran only it seems in the future.

I don't see how it compares. I also don't see how google Nav has anything to do with the Google Earth app. They are two separate apps even on Android

iMaps will have Flyover, turn by turn directions, and a cooler "feel" to it, -all in one free super-app.

Don't try to confuse me.

Apples isnt out yet EITHER!!!!!
Dont confuse you? You are confusing everybody on here!!!

----------

.....One more thing, Go here Bob http://maps.nokia.com/51.8772465,14.3453293,3,0,0,3d.day

That so called "APPLE" technology for maps....yeah nokia uses the same mapping company. Its called C3. You can install it on your pc and look around. Apple didnt invent it like im sure you believe. My point is with that is, the same cities you can look at now are the same ones thats been there for years. Nothing new. C3 may never go beyond what you see now....sorry

Bobby Corwen
Jun 15, 2012, 04:20 PM
Apples isnt out yet EITHER!!!!!
Dont confuse you? You are confusing everybody on here!!!

----------

.....One more thing, Go here Bob http://maps.nokia.com/51.8772465,14.3453293,3,0,0,3d.day

That so called "APPLE" technology for maps....yeah nokia uses the same mapping company. Its called C3. You can install it on your pc and look around. Apple didnt invent it like im sure you believe.

I'm not trying to!!!!! Im just trying to figure it out myself!!!

And oh ok... I'll switch to a Nokia now just because they invented the tech.

lordofthereef
Jun 15, 2012, 04:22 PM
Please pass the popcorn...

SurferMan
Jun 15, 2012, 04:24 PM

Don't try to confuse me.http://yipcanjo.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/stevejobs_koolaid.jpg

Are you serious lol? they already announced it before and have already been working on it for awhile...iOS Maps isn't even near functional right now but b/c it's Apple it's ok? lol. Their bringing 3D to earth and updated views on Nav/Maps, and the "flyover" you like to brag about is not for Navigation on either, it'll be for looking around for whatever reason no different then an updated version of Earth on either OS.

Plus their making it for offline use downloaded to the phone just like standalone units or 3rd party apps. iOS6 Maps will need data, not a problem for me, but there are a ton of people even on this forum that have complained about having a hard time using Google Nav if their in a bad connection area, what do you think will happen on iOS for them? Same problem.

Nobody is confusing you, your confusing yourself :rolleyes:

Electric turd
Jun 15, 2012, 04:26 PM
Please pass the popcorn...

Yes please

Bobby Corwen
Jun 15, 2012, 05:27 PM
GMaps was already updated to real time traffic data few months ago and is vector based as well, actually was vector based 2 years ago. Think next week or so or soon their releasing the update to download to the phone to run offline like 3rd party apps and standalone units, that doesn't mean much to me but cool for those in sketchy cellular data areas. And Google is already updating with their own fly over 3d (with real images, Apples is said to be computer generated but not sure there) for those that care (personally doesn't mean much to me). And looks like it's missing street view.

Don't exactly see how they got "clapped", they finally caught up to GMaps Nav which is a good thing for iOS users, however they still have a long way to go, just look at recent pic comparisons. Hopefully they have most of the bugs worked out by release as it's said to be very buggy right now.

LlImage (http://yipcanjo.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/stevejobs_koolaid.jpg)
Are you serious lol? they already announced it before and have already been working on it for awhile...iOS Maps isn't even near functional right now but b/c it's Apple it's ok? lol. Their bringing 3D to earth and updated views on Nav/Maps,and the "flyover" you like to brag about is not for Navigation on either, it'll be for looking around for whatever reason no different then an updated version of Earth on either OS.

Plus their making it for offline use downloaded to the phone just like standalone units or 3rd party apps. iOS6 Maps will need data, not a problem for me, but there are a ton of people even on this forum that have complained about having a hard time using Google Nav if their in a bad connection area, what do you think will happen on iOS for them? Same problem.

Nobody is confusing you, your confusing yourself :rolleyes:

See??

This guy knows what he's talking about! ^

What do you mean by the bolded highlight and can you please elaborate? What type of view is that specifically?

Electric turd
Jun 15, 2012, 05:42 PM
um, he was directing that at you Bobby!!!

Bobby Corwen
Jun 15, 2012, 06:22 PM
um, he was directing that at you Bobby!!!

I am aware of that. Thank you kind sir.

onthecouchagain
Jun 16, 2012, 01:08 AM

That's Apple's problem, don't you see? By catering to the tech-illiterate, we lose out on features that any smartphone should have. This goes beyond maps.

Things like attaching files to a mail... It's not that Apple can't do it, they don't want to incorporate a menu system because they think that's too complicated.

There's no secret that Apple caters to the lowest denominator, and the users who would like more are the ones that suffer from this. Maybe it's time Apple stopped worrying about whether grandparents can use Maps or not (and I'm not familiar with Apple Maps, but how different or more simple is it to input an address than it is to do it in Google Maps? I can't imagine it being that great of a difference).

tigress666
Jun 16, 2012, 01:25 AM
I have been sent down pointless detours with just about every GPS app out there, including Google Nav. I am no fan of Tom Tom, and I am also not here to defend Apple, but all apps have the tendency to slip. I am sure Apple's answer is not immune to this. I will reserve final judgement until I use it.

My favorite one that Navigon did to me (I wasn't in a hurry and was still in an area I knew so I just found it funny) was it routed me off a road that I was going North on, to get onto a side road so I could get on a highway so I could exit back on the road I was initially on but going South, only to do a u-turn to go north again (and there was an exit to go north from the highway on that road too and there was no reason I needed to go off the road).

Otherwise Navigon hasn't been too bad, except for when I forgot to take it off motorcyle mode which apparently means avoid the highways like the plague even if it means just taking the access road, and jumping on the highway for the short bit there isn't one to jump off it again to go on the access road.

Anyways, just for the map view (though I usually have it on satellite view honesty), those Apple maps (at least from the pictures people are posting) look far worse than the Google maps. First of all I like the color coding on the google maps so it's easy to get a glance and see what are major roads (plus easier to just look at the layout at a glance, the apple maps the roads blend in too much on the background) and secondly apparently Apple doesn't think people need most of the roads labelled (really, Apple?). I really hope those are beta and they are planning on refining them. Cause if not ... wow... yeah, I foresee people either saying how badly Apple's maps are (I would prefer not having turn by turn and having my google maps back cause I have Navigon but google maps were still useful) if they don't know how to get another mapping app, or just not using the maps at all (I should have foreseen this, I find apple's apps are overly basic to be all that useful. I mean don't get me started on the stupidity of their damned clock or ical <- which at least I found a good third party vendor that synchs with it so I can still take advantage of icloud synching. I guess contacts are ok).

marksman
Jun 16, 2012, 09:44 AM
One less thing for android trolls to come and try and justify their purchase with.

It is unfortunate the only thing they could really claim as better is going away. Well I guess they still have openness mushuahua!

----------

Id laugh if Google sued Apple for using any of their maps to create anything.

I believe google initially bought Keyhole which was the first satellite imagery for land and google added their road images on top. Thought it was about 10 years ago. I loved those older - but quite outdated - images and google took them to another level..

I like looking at my car I had in 2005 in google earth.

I.Love.Apple
Jun 16, 2012, 07:04 PM
It is unfortunate the only thing they could really claim as better is going away. Well I guess they still have openness mushuahua.

iOS getting new but inferior Maps app, if anything, the advantage that Android has with Google Maps compared to iOS has just grown larger.

Frankied22
Jun 16, 2012, 07:19 PM
iOS getting new but inferior Maps app, if anything, the advantage that Android has with Google Maps compared to iOS has just grown larger.

I have to agree unfortunately.

iammike1
Jun 16, 2012, 07:59 PM
It's freaking Beta 1 people. Stop acting like you have any damn clue what will be 6 months from now.

Technarchy
Jun 16, 2012, 08:06 PM
Good. Apple needs to starve Google every way possible.

I.Love.Apple
Jun 17, 2012, 10:37 PM
Good. Apple needs to starve Google every way possible.

I am not sure Google will even notice anything. iPhone users will be the real victims.

Rajani Isa
Jun 18, 2012, 11:49 AM

I found it kinda odd it wouldn't even call out Times Square.

cynics
Jun 18, 2012, 12:27 PM
It's freaking Beta 1 people. Stop acting like you have any damn clue what will be 6 months from now.

Hmmm and I thought it was just Android users that were beta testers.

If iMaps beta is as good as Siri beta then I'll have an excuse for constantly being late to everything.

Meanee
Jun 18, 2012, 12:58 PM

So, you on purpose dumbed down the graphics on Google Earth and disabled 3D buildings just to make yourself and others believe that Google product is inferior? Attached is a screenshot, not fully loaded, mind you, of Manhattan, from Google Earth. And this is the same area that you so conveniently tuned down. You can also note how tall buildings are by shadow and by seeing how tall the 3D model of the building is. You know, the thing that you disabled.

And this is something that was available for years.

iphone1105
Jun 18, 2012, 01:05 PM
If iMaps beta is as good as Siri beta then I'll have an excuse for constantly being late to everything.

And maps on your iphone is the only thing that can give your directions to avoid being late? I mean you can get free maps for subways, busses, even pocket sized ones. Hell you can get states maps and fold them to any size and carry them in the car, anywhere! It won't be the end of your world

Bobby Corwen
Jun 18, 2012, 01:21 PM
So, you on purpose dumbed down the graphics on Google Earth and disabled 3D buildings just to make yourself and others believe that Google product is inferior? Attached is a screenshot, not fully loaded, mind you, of Manhattan, from Google Earth. And this is the same area that you so conveniently tuned down. You can also note how tall buildings are by shadow and by seeing how tall the 3D model of the building is. You know, the thing that you disabled.

And this is something that was available for years.

No I never turned off any 3D models option and I looked for one and there is nothing.

Are you telling me Google Earth on Android has that feature and iPhone doesn't?

If so.

Google will regret these transgressions. It's pretty much an act of war.

Meanee
Jun 18, 2012, 01:26 PM
It's pretty much an act of war.

:D :D :D Madness? It's not madness. THIS. IS. MOBILE OS WAR!

Oh god... thanks for the laugh.

Hey, Apple, release iTunes for Android! You won't? It's pretty much an act of war!

Hey, Microsoft! Release Metro Interface on Android. You won't? It's pretty much an act of war!

Sensamic
Jun 18, 2012, 04:36 PM
No I never turned off any 3D models option and I looked for one and there is nothing.

Are you telling me Google Earth on Android has that feature and iPhone doesn't?

If so.

Google will regret these transgressions. It's pretty much an act of war.

What is blocking you from seeing Google Maps is simply better?

Bobby Corwen
Jun 18, 2012, 08:24 PM
What is blocking you from seeing Google Maps is simply better?

Bro Google Maps doesn't even have the "Adaptive Cinemaic Camera Angles" when if goes through corners.

Electric turd
Jun 18, 2012, 08:27 PM
Bro Google Maps doesn't even have the "Adaptive Cinemaic Camera Angles" when if goes through corners.

What are you talking about now?

Meanee
Jun 18, 2012, 08:31 PM

A real killer right here. That's it. Product is junk. Time to scrap it completely. What will I ever do without "Adaptic Cinematic Camera Angle" on a feature that's widely recognized as a gimmick? Gimmick on a gimmick. Double stacking gimmicks!

cynics
Jun 18, 2012, 09:09 PM
I'm confused. I'm playing around with 3D maps on my tablet.

http://img.tapatalk.com/6c03d305-deaf-83b0.jpg

I want to compare the smoothness of scrolling vs on iOS but the iOS version doesn't have 3D? Or am I missing something?

Bobby Corwen
Jun 18, 2012, 09:13 PM
A real killer right here. That's it. Product is junk. Time to scrap it completely. What will I ever do without "Adaptic Cinematic Camera Angle" on a feature that's widely recognized as a gimmick? Gimmick on a gimmick. Double stacking gimmicks!

Oh like I won't be able to go from here to the mall using iMaps now. Oooh Google Maps is sooooooo much better!!

I'm confused. I'm playing around with 3D maps on my tablet.

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/6c03d305-deaf-83b0.jpg)

I want to compare the smoothness of scrolling vs on iOS but the iOS version doesn't have 3D? Or am I missing something?

Yeah they neutered it on the iOS version.

What a petty, petty thing to do...

cynics
Jun 18, 2012, 09:35 PM
Oh like I won't be able to go from here to the mall using iMaps now. Oooh Google Maps is sooooooo much better!!

Does Apple have anything out yet to compare or am I waiting for iOS6?

I don't blame Google if they were the ones to "neuter" it and not like a feature cut so only new iPhones get it in imap's. They are the competition...lol. I use both Android and iOS with my tablet I'm never running Apple stuff, with my iPhone everything is pushing me toward google (siri, maps, internet search, spotlight search, then my personal email which is my choice).

Meanee
Jun 18, 2012, 09:52 PM

Quick, name 2 pieces of software that Apple wrote for any OS other than OSX or iOS. iTunes and MobileMe control panel doesn't count.

Who would've thought that Apple wouldn't want to write anything for other operating systems. What a petty, petty thing to do...

walie
Jun 18, 2012, 11:17 PM

Bobby baby!! Did you buy your NEW 17-inch Macbook Pro yet?? You know, the one that you insist that everyone should get?? Oh wait... :D:D:D

Bobby Baby!! Do you remember this beauty thread of yours??
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1290077

Did apple ever contact you about this issue??

ChazUK
Jun 18, 2012, 11:30 PM

Is that like Apple neutering Maps in anything but the iPhone 4s?

Bobby Corwen
Jun 19, 2012, 12:32 AM
Quick, name 2 pieces of software that Apple wrote for any OS other than OSX or iOS. iTunes and MobileMe control panel doesn't count.

Who would've thought that Apple wouldn't want to write anything for other operating systems. What a petty, petty thing to do...

Yeah because it would have been so hard to let ios GEarth have the 3D model slider in the options...

Fine they can take Google Earth out of the app store then.

And we will switch the default search on safari to Bing.

Everyone will switch from Gmail to Me.com.

Samsung and Google are playing with fire. If they want a war we will give them a war.

lordofthereef
Jun 19, 2012, 12:35 AM
Yeah because it would have been so hard to leave it in.

Samsung and Google are playing with fire. If they want a war we will give them a war.

Are you aware that you is not the same as we? Just checking, seriously, because the way you talk it doesn't seem to be so. You are either pretty ignorant in the ways of... everything, or have lead us to believe that to be the case so you can perpetuate this never ending troll, in which case bravo, the thread has yet to be locked and it's still going 8+ pages later.

Bobby Corwen
Jun 19, 2012, 12:39 AM
Are you aware that you is not the same as we? Just checking, seriously, because the way you talk it doesn't seem to be so. You are either pretty ignorant in the ways of... everything, or have lead us to believe that to be the case so you can perpetuate this never ending troll, in which case bravo, the thread has yet to be locked and it's still going 8+ pages later.

Shhhhhh shhhh it's ok buddy....

No tears... Only dreams now...

Vegastouch
Jun 19, 2012, 06:44 AM
Yeah because it would have been so hard to let ios GEarth have the 3D model slider in the options...

Who is "we"? Certainly isn't going to be you. Your just some ignorant kid ranting about anything you can. Your not spending any if your money fighting for anything. Just posting in a forum sounding more and more the Appleseed swallower.

SurferMan
Jun 19, 2012, 10:12 AM
Who is "we"? Certainly isn't going to be you. Your just some ignorant kid ranting about anything you can. Your not spending any if your money fighting for anything. Just posting in a forum sounding more and more the Appleseed swallower.More like a kid whose been dropped on his head a few times judging by his other threads and post in this forum lol. None of what he post makes any sense.

wkdtime
Jun 19, 2012, 10:21 AM
For those of you who can actually think for yourselves in this thread, I'd quit trying to explain anything to the OP, its alot like trying to ice skate up hill.

Bobby Crowen on the left.

http://wirawanweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/apple-fanboy.jpg

iphone1105
Jun 19, 2012, 10:45 AM
For those of you who can actually think for yourselves in this thread, I'd quit trying to explain anything to the OP, its alot like trying to ice skate up hill.

Bobby Crowen on the left.

Image (http://wirawanweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/apple-fanboy.jpg)

Those two strike a real resemblence to Mitchell and Cameron from Modern Family, just sayin.....

Bobby Corwen
Jun 19, 2012, 11:11 AM
Please stop acting like I'm not one of the smartest and most perceptice, self aware humans alive on Earth today. Thank you.

Also despite how you may want to picture me as an obese nerdy fanboy, I am actually a fitness model that looks like I walked straight out of an Abercrombie catalog in real life.

Please tone down the jealousy overall. And if you don't like my discussions you don't have to come here and post VegasTouch and LordoftheReef. My threads are rare and one of many you can participate in. This is a place for Apple fans so the haters need to stop being so arrogant and aggressive.

In a nutshell, you guys are just mad the one advantage Google had as a major selling point for Android fans to argue over has been made obsolete.

iMaps doesn't have to be better to be better because its better simply since its on iOS--which is Way better.

dgree03
Jun 19, 2012, 11:14 AM
Please stop acting like I'm not one of the smartest and most perceptice, self aware humans alive on Earth today. Thank you.

Also despite how you may want to picture me as an obese nerdy fanboy, I am actually a fitness model that looks like I walked straight out of an Abercrombie catalog in real life.

Please tone down the jealousy overall. And if you don't like my discussions you don't have to come here and post VegasTouch and LordoftheReef. My threads are rare and one of many you can participate in. This is a place for Apple fans so the haters need to stop being so arrogant and aggressive.

In a nutshell, you guys are just mad the one advantage Google had as a major selling point for Android fans to argue over has been made obsolete.

iMaps doesn't have to be better to be better because its better simply since its on iOS--which is Way better.

Care to give everyone 5 specific things that makes iMaps better than GMaps? I won't hold my breath...

Bobby Corwen
Jun 19, 2012, 11:20 AM
Care to give everyone 5 specific things that makes iMaps better than GMaps? I won't hold my breath...

1. iOS
2. iOS
3. iOS
4. iOS
5. Adaptive Cinematic Camera Angles when it goes through corners.

Meanee
Jun 19, 2012, 11:43 AM

Ok, there's NO WAY this is not a troll. I've yet to discover a person this stupid, self centered, and obnoxious.

If you are trolling, great job. Hats off to you.
If you are not trolling, please do not breed.

sakau2007
Jun 19, 2012, 12:06 PM
wow... just read through the first 20 or 30 posts of this thread.

must say that these new maps look VERY disappointing.

the maps app is probably one of the most useful apps on my phone and while i welcome turn by turn navigation, this overall looks like a huge step backward.

kevinof
Jun 19, 2012, 01:46 PM
If you are trolling, great job. Hats off to you.
If you are not trolling, please do not breed.

That made me laugh. Nice.

cynics
Jun 19, 2012, 02:05 PM
And maps on your iphone is the only thing that can give your directions to avoid being late? I mean you can get free maps for subways, busses, even pocket sized ones. Hell you can get states maps and fold them to any size and carry them in the car, anywhere! It won't be the end of your world

Come on, it was obvious sarcasm. If the feature doesn't currently exist then I'm obviously using a 3rd party app. :)

walie
Jun 19, 2012, 02:40 PM
1. iOS
2. iOS
3. iOS
4. iOS
5. Adaptive Cinematic Camera Angles when it goes through corners.

Are you typing all this on your 17-inch macbook? You know, the one Apple discontinued right?? I thought you said Apple would be nuts to cut that model :D:D

matttye
Jun 19, 2012, 02:41 PM
Are you typing all this on your 17-inch macbook? You know, the one Apple discontinued right?? I thought you said Apple would be nuts to cut that model :D:D

Stop getting trolled. His posts are dripping with sarcasm.

Seiga
Jun 19, 2012, 02:54 PM

Someone that has to state the above has some real self-esteem issues.

Oh wait.. i can play this too....

I'm a supermodel for GQ, beat that!!!! Yah!!!

burnside
Jun 19, 2012, 02:58 PM

Did your mom tell you that?

walie
Jun 19, 2012, 02:58 PM

Would you rather be pictured as this? Remember, the files are in the computer!

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/851/33535872.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/205/33535872.png/)

Meanee
Jun 19, 2012, 03:01 PM
Someone that has to state the above has some real self-esteem issues.

Oh wait.. i can play this too....

I'm a supermodel for GQ, beat that!!!! Yah!!!

I would beat that, but I am late for CK commercial shoot.

cynics
Jun 19, 2012, 03:52 PM
I would beat that, but I am late for CK commercial shoot.

I'm all the guys in that Ketel One Vodka commercial. I play them all like Eddie Murphy in Big Mamma's House. My good looks know no bounds.

iPhoneApple
Jun 19, 2012, 03:54 PM
No transit directions... that's huge.

Does Apple really plan to get rid of transit directions? Shouldn't they at least integrate an app that does this like they did with Yelp.

ChazUK
Sep 20, 2012, 01:05 PM
"It's a beta" people cried. "Wait for the final version".

Then the final hit and this happened. (http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/post/31929650562/cross-that-bridge-before-one-comes-to-it)

Oops!

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/
:p

Faux Carnival
Sep 20, 2012, 02:37 PM
FAIL: http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/20/3363914/wrong-turn-apple-ios-6-maps-phone-5-buggy-complaints

onthecouchagain
Sep 20, 2012, 02:46 PM
This is the new "Damn You iPhone Auto Correction" for Apple.

"Damn You iPhone Maps"

Mac.World
Sep 20, 2012, 03:04 PM
This is the new "Damn You iPhone Auto Correction" for Apple.

"Damn You iPhone Maps"

I was just playing with a friend's ipad3 using ios6 maps and sure enough, many buildings in downtown LA have melted to some extent, while others look amazing in detail. It also takes a long, long, long time to load the map data if you are on 3G or slower. I compared the ipad 3's 3d maps to that on my Nex7 (which loaded extremely fast), and even with the melting, the ipad's 3d fly over views had better images when zoomed in, at least for LA. How useful flying view will be for people trying to use this as a gps navigation system will likely be nil to not at all. Google's Street View is much better, more accurate and actually useful.

It's a good start for Apple, and ios users, if you live in the US that is. Live anywhere else and this service is near useless. I do love cloud covered imagery in Europe. So helpful when you can't see anything, lol

onthecouchagain
Sep 20, 2012, 03:09 PM
I do love cloud covered imagery in Europe. So helpful when you can't see anything, lol

iCloud, "Automatic and effortless, seamlessly integrated into your apps."

ReallyBigFeet
Sep 20, 2012, 03:16 PM

Android Users laugh at iOS all the time so I'm guessing the answer is yes?

ChazUK
Sep 20, 2012, 03:21 PM

Good night google...

IRL:

Brb mushy building flyover and inferior vector based maps with location approximators.

Good night google...

Time to fix the original post of this thread. :D

----------

Android Users laugh at iOS all the time so I'm guessing the answer is yes?

So Mac users laughing at the PC has historically been an inferiority thing? :confused:

Oohara
Sep 20, 2012, 03:30 PM
^ LOL yeah, and some of the following posts too :D

One more thing for android trolls to come and try and justify their purchase with.

cynics
Sep 20, 2012, 04:27 PM
iCloud, "Automatic and effortless, seamlessly integrated into your apps."

Hahaha.

Oh those? Those are iClouds...

Stropaganda
Sep 20, 2012, 06:56 PM
This entire fiasco has been very entertaining. Is this just a bug or is this something more serious? How long would it take to fix? How much is this going to cost Apple to fix?

Mac.World
Sep 20, 2012, 07:18 PM
This entire fiasco has been very entertaining. Is this just a bug or is this something more serious? How long would it take to fix? How much is this going to cost Apple to fix?

Don't expect a fix anytime soon in the US, and if you live outside the US, don't ever expect a fix. Apple has had to basically cut and paste imagery from various sources. And it would take years and years and billions of dollars to get 3d and ground imagery from around the world.

Apple wanted Google off their phones and now the customer gets to pay the price with inferior products or have to pay for 3rd party apps. But as they say, 'it just works', except when it doesn't. :D

Vegastouch
Sep 20, 2012, 09:03 PM
Wow, pretty embarrassing for Apple. So much for quality. Hope those waiting in line dont mind having a lousy Maps app. Looks pretty useless to me. Wonder what Steve would say?

Technarchy
Sep 20, 2012, 09:12 PM
Wow, pretty embarrassing for Apple. So much for quality. Hope those waiting in line dont mind having a lousy Maps app. Looks pretty useless to me. Wonder what Steve would say?

Steve wouldn't be saying anything...

...he would go right to decapitations and put the heads on pikes around Cupertino.

Mac.World
Sep 20, 2012, 09:13 PM

It's just like Siri. It will always be a beta. And there are always 3rd party apps that ios users can pay for. Of course, this shows you exactly what Apple thinks about the rest of the world, when they don't put much effort into an integrated app like this, or Siri.

When this is on your homepage, it's like telling the world, 'Sorry, if you aren't in the US, we don't care.'
http://screenshots.en.sftcdn.net/blog/en/2012/09/iOS-6-feature-availability.jpg

Vegastouch
Sep 20, 2012, 09:42 PM
I have to say, this is really too bad. How can Apple release crap like that and leave out other countries? I love the competition between phone makers but the arrow for Apple is pointing down which isnt a good thing.

Wont stop the fanboys but even they have to be frustrated. i guess there is always the $50 Tom Tom app

Sensamic
Sep 20, 2012, 09:55 PM
Bobby?

Are you still there?

I think he's out of the country...

I almost forgot about this thread, but now it's more funny than ever, and Bobby has been ridiculed by it's own great Apple.

Stropaganda
Sep 20, 2012, 09:58 PM
I have to say, this is really too bad. How can Apple release crap like that and leave out other countries? I love the competition between phone makers but the arrow for Apple is pointing down which isnt a good thing.

Wont stop the fanboys but even they have to be frustrated. i guess there is always the $50 Tom Tom app

Jesus. $50?

Wait for Google. They will rise to the occasion if Apple will let them. The data is just too valuable to skip out of.

You still won't be able to set them as your default map app though, right? That would be very, very, very annoying.

Bobby?

Are you still there?

I almost forgot about this thread, but now it's more funny than ever, and Bobby has been ridiculed by it's own great Apple.
Yeah, this has got to be embarrassing. One of the most ironically named threads I've ever seen.

Mac.World
Sep 20, 2012, 10:11 PM
Bobby?

Are you still there?

He's been silent since the Sept 12 announcement. Must be embarrassing with this being his last post on the subject:
Two words: flyover.

Navi"gone" doesn't hav that. That's why it's getting deleted come ios 6.

Kinda funny. Guess he might be keeping those other apps now? ;-]

flameproof
Sep 20, 2012, 10:44 PM
So this is the 'thermonuclear' Steve Jobs talked about?

Calidude
Sep 20, 2012, 11:43 PM
It's really depressing that Bobby would go so far as to defend Apple's corporate bickering that resulted in a degraded customer experience for him and all of those loyal iOS users.

Vegastouch
Sep 20, 2012, 11:48 PM
It's really depressing that Bobby would go so far as to defend Apple's corporate bickering that resulted in a degraded customer experience for him and all of those loyal iOS users.

Bobby has no rational arguments. It is all based on fanboyism.

lazard
Sep 20, 2012, 11:51 PM
So this is the 'thermonuclear' Steve Jobs talked about?

just the beginning

Oohara
Sep 21, 2012, 12:24 AM
I just have to repost this from the comments under the review on The Verge

http://i49.tinypic.com/10ruxl5.jpg

matttye
Sep 21, 2012, 01:38 AM

I've seen a number of the usual sworn Apple defenders saying that maps aren't that bad.

Calidude
Sep 21, 2012, 01:54 AM
I've seen a number of the usual sworn Apple defenders saying that maps aren't that bad.
I'd go so far as to say that a person's opinion of iOS maps serves as a litmus test as to whether they can be taken seriously or not.

matttye
Sep 21, 2012, 02:02 AM
I just have to repost this from the comments under the review on The Verge

Image (http://i49.tinypic.com/10ruxl5.jpg)

Is that real? :D

---

"The new map app for iOS 6 is a whole lot of fun -- unless you want to use it for directions. Or to find a bridge that looks crossable."

Apple is getting scathing reviews everywhere; their reputation has taken a bit of a battering ATM.

kevinof
Sep 21, 2012, 02:18 AM
I hope all those apple fans queuing today for their new iphones check a paper map just in case Apple have got the locations wrong :)

VulchR
Sep 21, 2012, 05:16 AM
Haha. That's funny OP.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/QakNA.jpg) Image (http://i.imgur.com/tlsYE.jpg)

Funny - the ocean label errors you showed in these images don't appear when I try to recreate them. Somebody appears to have done some nice Photoshopping or perhaps it the errors arose from slow update of the different map drawing layers due to a poor network connection... :rolleyes: Where I am in Scotland, the new map app is more accurate than the old one and, in contrast to some reports, the satellite views don't show clouds. No doubt the accuracy varies by location due to variation in the quality of the data Apple was able to buy, but the new app suits my needs very well.

Having said that, of course if Google offered a free map app I would also download that. What is it that people on this subforum always say - oh yes, now I remember - competition is good. The more Apple succeeds, the higher the bar for maps apps will go on all mobile OS's.

matttye
Sep 21, 2012, 06:14 AM
Funny - the ocean label errors you showed in these images don't appear when I try to recreate them. Somebody appears to have done some nice Photoshopping or perhaps it the errors arose from slow update of the different map drawing layers due to a poor network connection... :rolleyes: Where I am in Scotland, the new map app is more accurate than the old one and, in contrast to some reports, the satellite views don't show clouds. No doubt the accuracy varies by location due to variation in the quality of the data Apple was able to buy, but the new app suits my needs very well.

Having said that, of course if Google offered a free map app I would also download that. What is it that people on this subforum always say - oh yes, now I remember - competition is good. The more Apple succeeds, the higher the bar for maps apps will go on all mobile OS's.

The maps are so random that when different people do the same searches, they get different results.

OllyW
Sep 21, 2012, 06:21 AM
Funny - the ocean label errors you showed in these images don't appear when I try to recreate them.

The post you quoted was made 3 months ago so there's a good chance the data could have been updated.

nba1341
Sep 21, 2012, 06:50 AM
http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

Fanboys still gonna defend the ****** app?

b24pgg
Sep 21, 2012, 06:58 AM
Funny - the ocean label errors you showed in these images don't appear when I try to recreate them.
LOL. I posted those over three months ago. I would hope Apple had fixed something that atrocious by now.

DanteMann
Sep 21, 2012, 10:03 AM

Good night google...

LOL....Bobby where are you? I think this one is even too big of a fk up for even you to spin. Oh wait, maybe you got lost using the new "superior victor based maps with traffic approximators." HAHAAAAAA.....luuuuuuurves it!

ChazUK
Sep 21, 2012, 10:31 AM
LOL....Bobby where are you? I think this one is even too big of a fk up for even you to spin. Oh wait, maybe you got lost using the new "superior victor based maps with traffic approximators." HAHAAAAAA.....luuuuuuurves it!

Bobby would respond but he's gotten lost in some city with melting buildings and rugged bridges.

At least, that's where his phone thinks he is...... :p

onthecouchagain
Sep 21, 2012, 10:37 AM
Apple Maps, the new "Damn You iPhone Auto Correction".

There are reports that it's already led people astray and gotten them lost.

blackhand1001
Sep 21, 2012, 10:49 AM
Let's be real here. You can search my recent post and know I'm kinda having a love affair with my Galaxy Nexus right now. While Voice Actions can do some things Siri can't, it lacks the full automation that Siri has for things like composing a text or anything like that.

Both systems (Siri vs Google VA) have advantages and disadvantages right now. I hope they learn from each other and both advance. Me, I'll be happy when I can at least call up Google VA from anywhere in Android without having to drop out to the home screen.

Now, on the subject of maps. Here's my hopes and I've not heard anyone say this before. I think it's obvious that Google will bring a Maps app to the iPhone App Store. I believe they have said as much already.

I'm hoping that being forced to compete directly with built in Nav on the iPhone now will make them bring over their Google Maps Nav that they have kept to Android all this time.

For all I care, the new Apple Maps could be a pile of poo and I would consider it a win if it gets Google to bring over one of Androids best features just to try and keep a good foothold on iOS.

iOS is important to Google. They make quite a bit of their buck off of the iOS platform. If they bring over a Google Maps app like what we currently have built into iOS, why on earth would ANYONE use it?

iOS gets built in Nav and a full featured Google Maps Nav in the process? I consider that a win.

You could compose texts with voice search before Google now. I did it all the time when I had my incredible.

Wrathwitch
Sep 21, 2012, 11:06 AM
Bobby would respond but he's gotten lost in some city with melting buildings and rugged bridges.

At least, that's where his phone thinks he is...... :p

I LOL'd

:D

Ever watch Eric the Viking where Atlantis is sinking and even as it's happening they are ignoring it and refuse to see it? and NO I am NOT saying Apple is sinking. I am just stating how even when presented with the obvious, some people refuse to see it.

Sensamic
Sep 21, 2012, 11:29 AM
It's not fair Bobby has left us...

Now is when all the fun is starting :D:D:D

Oohara
Sep 21, 2012, 11:46 AM
Can someone please look up Apple HQ in Cupertino? Might have the fail pic of the year right there :cool:

Edit: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand here's the tumblr blog: http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/ :D

VulchR
Sep 21, 2012, 12:53 PM
LOL. I posted those over three months ago. I would hope Apple had fixed something that atrocious by now.

The post you quoted was made 3 months ago so there's a good chance the data could have been updated.

Oops. :o At least we know Apple is trying to fix inaccuracies....

McCool71
Sep 21, 2012, 02:43 PM
It is quite clear that the standard way of simplifying and removing 'unnecessary info and confusing options' that works well and makes iOS easy to use for most people is not a great way to build a map service... :cool:

Wrathwitch
Sep 22, 2012, 09:40 PM

Photos or it ain't real!

I have left off arguing with Mr Corwen, but I love his posts. The feeling of them is much akin to studying Russian writing/lessons for 2 hours (after having attended 6.5 hours of Russian language classes that day). It leaves you feeling baked and amazed that there are such amazing things in the world.