PDA

View Full Version : [phones] Samsung galaxy note 2, specs leak

Twixt
Jun 12, 2012, 05:24 PM
In case you guys did not notice, I am between iPhone 5 or this Note 2

Samsung Galaxy Note has been released half a year ago and it proved to be a very successful device. Samsung plans to sell over 10 million units and it seems like it’s able to, considering 7 million units have already been shipped.
A newer Galaxy Note version was to be expected and we now have some rumors about it. It seems like Samsung will inspire from the Galaxy S3, so the Note will look very much like it, though it will be bigger. According to our sources it will also come with Galaxy S3′s new features, like the Smart Stay, S Voice, and S Beam.
It seems like the Galaxy Note will have an even bigger display and a really attractive resolution. It’s 5.5-inch WSXGA+ display with 1680×1050 pixels resolution will feature a 360 pixels density, though it will not be full HD, like some expected. Unfortunately it will be Pentile, just like the one present in the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note.
Maybe you know that some rumors said the Galaxy S3 will come with a new Exynos 5250 processor, though it didn’t prove to be true. But it seems like Samsung is preparing that processor for the Galaxy Note 2. The Exynos 5250 is going to be built on the ARM Cortex-A15 CPU, which should be much faster and battery-friendly.
It’s camera will probably the same one from the Galaxy S3, while it will come with 1.5GB of RAM and 4G LTE. Rumors also say the release date is set for October 2012, when it should hit Europe, while the rest of the world should follow a few weeks later.
The new Galaxy Note 2 should be priced just like the Galaxy Note and Galaxy S3, once it hits the stores.

Orange Furball
Jun 12, 2012, 05:55 PM
They really need to wow me with this one. I hope they fix the pen. On mine now it isn't totally accurate. Still a great device.

its93rc
Jun 12, 2012, 06:02 PM
I honestly thought the Note was going to be an epic fail; I see people everywhere with their Note, which irritates me a bit, but I'm glad there's diversity on the phone market -- I guess.

Personally, I don't like it. It's just too big.
I'll keep my eye out for the 2 just for the heck of it :)

Sangdushi
Jun 12, 2012, 06:10 PM
I honestly thought the Note was going to be an epic fail; I see people everywhere with their Note, which irritates me a bit, but I'm glad there's diversity on the phone market -- I guess.

I'm seeing it a lot too. I find that it's very popular among women. I guess it's not to big when you carry a purse as well :confused

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 12, 2012, 06:10 PM
Not interested in talking on a 5.5 inch mutant of a phone much. I'll stick with the iPhone.

http://www.technoflames.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/huge-phone.jpg

Sangdushi
Jun 12, 2012, 06:13 PM
Not interested in talking on a 5.5 inch mutant of a phone much. I'll stick with the iPhone.

That's an iPad.

rman726
Jun 12, 2012, 06:13 PM
I'm seeing it a lot too. I find that it's very popular among women. I guess it's not to big when you carry a purse as well :confused

I think that's it. I personally have yet to see one (outside of the store) so I'm surprised you report seeing a lot of them. Maybe it's because I'm an engineer and not around enough women. :p

Twixt
Jun 12, 2012, 06:15 PM

Interesting point.
I guess it also depends on usage as some people only use phoning features vs others mostly gaming and browsing... I suppose women are part of first group though

----------

I wish iPad could embed phone features... And for your information some people do use hands free kits ;)

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 12, 2012, 06:22 PM
That's an iPad.

Still looks like an idiot talking on something that big ;)

w00t951
Jun 12, 2012, 06:34 PM
I think it was just a passing fad, especially since the majority of those sales appeared to be from the first couple months.

Here in South Korea, there are tons of people who have Notes... It's generally young women who have space in their handbags for such a huge device.

SurferMan
Jun 12, 2012, 06:45 PM

I didn't think it would be a fail, but its still surprising how many I've seen out and about or especially in business. Gotta hand it to Samsung as they targeted a specific market and niche perfectly and the AT&T stores here could barely keep them in stock. It's still too big for me, but obviously there are a lot of people that love it and it's size.

I'm curious what the next Nexus will be like as I preferred my GSII over the current one.

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 12, 2012, 06:48 PM
It's still too big for me, but obviously there are a lot of people that love it and it's size.

Must... resist...

SurferMan
Jun 12, 2012, 07:14 PM
Must... resist...touché... lol

wx4olf
Jun 12, 2012, 07:23 PM
They really need to wow me with this one. I hope they fix the pen. On mine now it isn't totally accurate. Still a great device.

I'm running the latest leaked build of ICS on mine and the s pen works pretty good after I configure it for lefties. It even does a pretty good job of converting my chicken scratch to text. Note that I am using the s pen holder accessory that makes it more like holding a regular pen.

Overall, I love the screen size for reading and surfing the web but the sheer size of the Note makes it a little unwieldy at times. At least for me it is more of a two handed device so I find that I am drifting more towards using the Note as a mini tablet while relying on my GSII or 3GS for my primary phone. One things for sure, going back to my 3GS to play with the latest iOS updates is jarring. :eek:

cynics
Jun 12, 2012, 07:30 PM

Its not that big.

onthecouchagain
Jun 12, 2012, 08:02 PM

I think the Note is too big too, but this is just about as uneducated and unfunny a post can get.

BiggAW
Jun 12, 2012, 10:12 PM

Agreed. The iPhone feels just right. The Note is hideous. I find it amusing that of all the Android phones out there, this forum is utterly obsessed with the GNote. You'd think they would be obsessed with finding a small one to compete with the iPhone or something.

kiznar
Jun 12, 2012, 10:32 PM
Love my note even put a otter box even bigger lol. Flash is amazing on 4g lte.

DeathChill
Jun 12, 2012, 10:43 PM
Its not that big.

That's what she said.

kdarling
Jun 12, 2012, 11:01 PM
Seven million sold so far; ten million total expected this year.

Not a huge number, but unexpectedly good for a niche item that created its own category, the phablet.

Would've sold even more if darned Verizon had picked it up. Grrr.

Twixt
Jun 13, 2012, 03:45 AM
Agreed. The iPhone feels just right. The Note is hideous. I find it amusing that of all the Android phones out there, this forum is utterly obsessed with the GNote. You'd think they would be obsessed with finding a small one to compete with the iPhone or something.

It s actually not that I want to bring competition at any cost!
I am quite disappointed by last AAPL developments, skipped 4 and 4s I did not like and am expecting a blast for number 5. Otherwise I will go for another brand and model, and this Note 2 might be the one having my money on...
I am sure I am not alone here having exactly same process in mind, it is "almost" do or die for AAPL in October...

Yumunum
Jun 13, 2012, 03:48 AM
Can't wait... I like the GS3. But a Note with similar (or maybe better specs, like a higher clocked processor) would be amazing. iOS 6 disappointed me.

adildacoolset
Jun 13, 2012, 04:00 AM
You come here to post samsung rumors on macrumors. Away with you!

macingman
Jun 13, 2012, 04:27 AM
I am quite disappointed by last AAPL developments, skipped 4 and 4s I did not like and am expecting a blast for number 5. Otherwise I will go for another brand and model, and this Note 2 might be the one having my money on...
I am sure I am not alone here having exactly same process in mind, it is "almost" do or die for AAPL in October...

Can I ask what features you actually want?

BiggAW
Jun 13, 2012, 07:50 AM

Why? I consider myself quite the geek, I have a number of gadgets (MBP, Kindle Fire, Kindle Keyboard, iPad 3, iPhone 4S), and I think the iPhone is the premier smartphone experience for AT&T customers. I'm rather happy with the 4S, the only big thing I'm wishing it had was LTE, but that's not because of the feature of LTE itself, but rather AT&T's incompetence at managing it's HSPA+ network in some places, like NYC. I love the form factor, the software is good, and one of my main complaints, lack of turn-by-turn other than TomTom will be rectified soon.

cynics
Jun 13, 2012, 08:04 AM
Why? I consider myself quite the geek, I have a number of gadgets (MBP, Kindle Fire, Kindle Keyboard, iPad 3, iPhone 4S), and I think the iPhone is the premier smartphone experience for AT&T customers. I'm rather happy with the 4S, the only big thing I'm wishing it had was LTE, but that's not because of the feature of LTE itself, but rather AT&T's incompetence at managing it's HSPA+ network in some places, like NYC. I love the form factor, the software is good, and one of my main complaints, lack of turn-by-turn other than TomTom will be rectified soon.

Did you ask him why he'd consider the note then proceed to say you wish the iPhone had LTE and turn by turn like the competition he is considering has had forever? Or am I misunderstanding?

ChrisTX
Jun 13, 2012, 09:26 AM
Seven million sold so far; ten million total expected this year.

Not a huge number, but unexpectedly good for a niche item that created its own category, the phablet.

Would've sold even more if darned Verizon had picked it up. Grrr.

And to think everyone(myself included) laughed at the Dell Streak, and now that size is becoiming the norm. *sigh*

BiggAW
Jun 13, 2012, 10:00 AM
Did you ask him why he'd consider the note then proceed to say you wish the iPhone had LTE and turn by turn like the competition he is considering has had forever? Or am I misunderstanding?

LTE is more of an upgrade issue. If AT&T knew how to maintain HSPA+ to pull 1mbps, LTE would be irrelevant. I have turn-by-turn. It is one thing I miss about Android, but one small thing, compared to a lot of good things on the iPhone.

Tarzanman
Jun 13, 2012, 10:35 AM

Why should that annoy you? Its a good device. Is some stranger owning a Galaxy Note inconveniencing you somehow?

Some of you folks seriously need to get your minds right. There is a reason people refer to apple fandom as a cult

Twixt
Jun 13, 2012, 12:36 PM
Why should that annoy you? Its a good device. Is some stranger owning a Galaxy Note inconveniencing you somehow?

Some of you folks seriously need to get your minds right. There is a reason people refer to apple fandom as a cult

I fully agree. It is troubling how people are devoted whereas they barely understand industry and dynamics...
AAPL employees better than people here know that iphone 5 is much much more important than just a simple specs bump...

omgitswes
Jun 13, 2012, 01:00 PM
Bring it to Verizon! We miss out on so many good phones.
Still holding onto my incredible because there's nothing good out.

Spectrum Abuser
Jun 13, 2012, 01:34 PM
5.5 inches! My tablet is 7.0 inches for goodness sake. If the rumors are true this will defiantly be a phone that you'll have to try out at the store before purchasing.

cynics
Jun 13, 2012, 03:07 PM
That's what she said.

Lol I was thinking that when I posted that.

samsunggalaxy
Jun 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
I have bought Iphone first edition ever and I was pleased but after a year I bough HTC HD2 PRO because it has bigger touch screen. Actually I was forced to buy samsung galaxy 2 (http://ipadiii.info/samsunggalaxy.php) . I am not saying is better than Apple Ipad but I managed to get it cheap enough.

Lindenhurst
Jun 13, 2012, 04:55 PM
I'm running the latest leaked build of ICS on mine and the s pen works pretty good after I configure it for lefties. It even does a pretty good job of converting my chicken scratch to text. Note that I am using the s pen holder accessory that makes it more like holding a regular pen.

Overall, I love the screen size for reading and surfing the web but the sheer size of the Note makes it a little unwieldy at times. At least for me it is more of a two handed device so I find that I am drifting more towards using the Note as a mini tablet while relying on my GSII or 3GS for my primary phone. One things for sure, going back to my 3GS to play with the latest iOS updates is jarring. :eek:

I Too have the note and find it excellent for surfing the Web and watching videos.it really is a two handed device though. I can't imagine the new note being even bigger than mine, but I guess things just keep getting bigger as long as people buy them.

Twixt
Jun 13, 2012, 05:20 PM
I Too have the note and find it excellent for surfing the Web and watching videos.it really is a two handed device though. I can't imagine the new note being even bigger than mine, but I guess things just keep getting bigger as long as people buy them.

I guess new SG III with 4.8 inches was too close to original 5.3 inches of Note 1.
5.5 should not make such a difference though.

BiggAW
Jun 13, 2012, 07:23 PM
I guess new SG III with 4.8 inches was too close to original 5.3 inches of Note 1.
5.5 should not make such a difference though.

How far is this going to go? We all know that 3.5" is the one correct size for a smartphone. So Verizon stretched it a little to 3.7". And then Somebody went to 4". Well, 4.3" is only a little bigger than 4". Using this same flawed thinking through 4.5", 4.65", 4.7", 4.8", all of the sudden 5.3" is apparently just a little bigger than 3.5". Something went wrong somewhere. And now We're supposed to believe that 5.5" is basically the same as 5.3"???

Sensamic
Jun 13, 2012, 09:11 PM
I saw the Note last week for the first time and... it was way way too big. It was so big that it would not fit on my pockets. When I was younger I would have had no problems buying one and taking it with me everywhere, but now it would be impossible.

On the other hand I really really liked the HTC One X and Galaxy Nexus, specially because they were so thin! It was amazing. The Galaxy Nexus has the perfect size. It did not seem too big for that 4.6 inch display.

mbell1975
Jun 13, 2012, 11:34 PM
How far is this going to go? We all know that 3.5" is the one correct size for a smartphone.

Are you high? LOL. "One correct size?" Thats hysterical. So what is the "one correct size" for a car? a house? an airplane? I mean surely there must be "one correct size" for everything and everyone must conform to that size right? :rolleyes:

xnickitynickx
Jun 13, 2012, 11:36 PM
my grandmother even said that the note looked like a book.
that is practically a kindle fire with a phone stuffed in it

jerrykim16
Jun 14, 2012, 02:50 AM
i have personally used both devices... i'm a korean that likes apple and is proud of samsung so i'm not biased about samsung either apple.

i personally thought that the galaxy note was too big.. for my daily use.. it couldn't fit in my pocket.. which was a bummer.. i think i'd stick with a smaller phone thats 4 inches

Twixt
Jun 14, 2012, 03:11 AM
How far is this going to go? We all know that 3.5" is the one correct size for a smartphone. So Verizon stretched it a little to 3.7". And then Somebody went to 4". Well, 4.3" is only a little bigger than 4". Using this same flawed thinking through 4.5", 4.65", 4.7", 4.8", all of the sudden 5.3" is apparently just a little bigger than 3.5". Something went wrong somewhere. And now We're supposed to believe that 5.5" is basically the same as 5.3"???

I can not disagree more!

If your usage is phoning only it is perfect at 3.5, probably.
I barely use these 100 minutes of airtime I have per month, but keep sending emails, playing, listening to music, browsing etc. So for 99% of my usage this iPhone at 3.5 is way to small (i have an ipad but it stays at home for my wife, I really want one device, sad that ipad does not have phoning feature)

----------

my grandmother even said that the note looked like a book.
that is practically a kindle fire with a phone stuffed in it

Which does not sound bad!

B777Forevar
Jun 14, 2012, 03:24 AM
We all know that 3.5" is the one correct size for a smartphone.

And just watch, when/if Apple announces a 4" iPhone, you will probably be one of the first to order one.

Technarchy
Jun 14, 2012, 03:25 AM
I know it will be a turd because people feel the need to pimp it in the iPhone section.

Stinks of insecurity.

And the Note as is might be the most obnoxious phone ever made...now there is an even more ignorant sequel...Yay?

Twixt
Jun 14, 2012, 03:28 AM
I know it will be a turd because people feel the need to pimp it in the iPhone section.

Stinks of insecurity.

And the Note as is might be the most obnoxious phone ever made...now there is an even more ignorant sequel...Yay?

Why obnoxious ?
Did you already forget phones in the 90s?

monkeylui
Jun 14, 2012, 03:31 AM
I'm ready for a bigger phone. If apple doesn't release a bigger phone then I'm jumping ship. The SGS3 would be my choice. I think the Note2 would be a tad to big.

BiggAW
Jun 14, 2012, 08:55 AM
Are you high? LOL. "One correct size?" Thats hysterical. So what is the "one correct size" for a car?

Yes. One correct size. Anatomically correct. A car, depends on how many people. For one or two people, about the size of a Civic/Focus/Imprezza is optimal because of fuel economy.

a house? an airplane? I mean surely there must be "one correct size" for everything and everyone must conform to that size right? :rolleyes:

All airplane seats are just about the same size, because they are the optimal size for efficiency. And Southwest is ahead of the curve by eliminating space-wasting and inefficient 1st class seats, which all the other carriers should do as we enter an oil- and emissions- constrained world with limited runway capacity at major airports.

I can not disagree more! If your usage is phoning only it is perfect at 3.5, probably.
I barely use these 100 minutes of airtime I have per month, but keep sending emails, playing, listening to music, browsing etc.

I use it mostly for data and texting, and 3.5" is anatomically optimal, even for an above-average sized person like me.

And just watch, when/if Apple announces a 4" iPhone, you will probably be one of the first to order one.

I'll b*tch about it for a year or two, and then, when, at a certain point, AT&T's incompetent mismanagement of their HSPA+ network in some markets (NYC) will get so bad that I will have to suck it up and get one for the LTE. However, the width is going to be unchanged, so it won't be as fat as the 4" Android phones, so it won't really be that bad. I was OK with my 4" Android phone, even though the screen size is a bit over optimal.

Twixt
Jun 14, 2012, 12:03 PM
Yes. One correct size. Anatomically correct. A car, depends on how many people. For one or two people, about the size of a Civic/Focus/Imprezza is optimal because of fuel economy.

All airplane seats are just about the same size, because they are the optimal size for efficiency. And Southwest is ahead of the curve by eliminating space-wasting and inefficient 1st class seats, which all the other carriers should do as we enter an oil- and emissions- constrained world with limited runway capacity at major airports.

I use it mostly for data and texting, and 3.5" is anatomically optimal, even for an above-average sized person like me.

I'll b*tch about it for a year or two, and then, when, at a certain point, AT&T's incompetent mismanagement of their HSPA+ network in some markets (NYC) will get so bad that I will have to suck it up and get one for the LTE. However, the width is going to be unchanged, so it won't be as fat as the 4" Android phones, so it won't really be that bad. I was OK with my 4" Android phone, even though the screen size is a bit over optimal.

Maybe you forgot that some people dont mind using their phone with two hands rather than just one. I can not anatomically manage 5 inch device with one hand but would that be a problem, I guess no...

BiggAW
Jun 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
Maybe you forgot that some people dont mind using their phone with two hands rather than just one. I can not anatomically manage 5 inch device with one hand but would that be a problem, I guess no...

Smartphones are rather useless if you need both hands. What if you're holding a bunch of crap walking down the street or out of a store or something? I can type, not fast, but I can type on the iPhone with one hand.

SurferMan
Jun 14, 2012, 04:58 PM
I can not disagree more!

If your usage is phoning only it is perfect at 3.5, probably.
I barely use these 100 minutes of airtime I have per month, but keep sending emails, playing, listening to music, browsing etc. So for 99% of my usage this iPhone at 3.5 is way to small (i have an ipad but it stays at home for my wife, I really want one device, sad that ipad does not have phoning feature)I agree, I never actually had an issue or problem with the iPhone screen.... until I got my GSII. Then realized how much a difference it makes for everything from browsing to emails, I do a ton of both on this phone, night and day better. With that said I'm kinda put off by the larger size Android devices as I personally feel this one is the perfect size for me at 4.3" as the thin factor and small case relative to the screen make it feel barely bigger than an iPhone. Using some of the other Android devices they felt noticeably larger to me (still useable and fit in a pocket no prob, just like the GSII form better), haven't used the GSIII though yet.

sentinelsx
Jun 14, 2012, 10:03 PM

Because 5 = 10 right?

BiggAW
Jun 15, 2012, 09:46 AM
I agree, I never actually had an issue or problem with the iPhone screen.... until I got my GSII. Then realized how much a difference it makes for everything from browsing to emails, I do a ton of both on this phone, night and day better. With that said I'm kinda put off by the larger size Android devices as I personally feel this one is the perfect size for me at 4.3" as the thin factor and small case relative to the screen make it feel barely bigger than an iPhone. Using some of the other Android devices they felt noticeably larger to me (still useable and fit in a pocket no prob, just like the GSII form better), haven't used the GSIII though yet.

I went from the 4" SGS to the 3.5" iPhone, and the iPhone just fits so much better in my hand... even with OtterBox case on it... I could deal with a 4.3", but I doubt I could really deal with anything larger.

I would think that Samsung would come out with a smaller high-end phone, even if it is a bit of a brick to hold the battery, just to have an option to the SGS III and it's gargantuan 4.8" screen.

macMD
Jun 15, 2012, 04:00 PM
Samsung should just get thew new 5" Retina LG display that was announced a short while ago with a 440ppi resolution @ 1080p, that would kick Apple where it counts in the resolution dept.

SurferMan
Jun 15, 2012, 04:35 PM
I went from the 4" SGS to the 3.5" iPhone, and the iPhone just fits so much better in my hand... even with OtterBox case on it... I could deal with a 4.3", but I doubt I could really deal with anything larger.

I would think that Samsung would come out with a smaller high-end phone, even if it is a bit of a brick to hold the battery, just to have an option to the SGS III and it's gargantuan 4.8" screen.They had different sizes before, so I too was hoping there would be a 4.3" S3 model, but looks like I was wrong lol.

This phone runs so fast and smooth with crazy good battery life on this ICS Rom I'm using though that I'll be fine not upgrading later this year, maybe next year we'll see some nice 4.3" models again lol :D

BiggAW
Jun 15, 2012, 06:05 PM
They had different sizes before, so I too was hoping there would be a 4.3" S3 model, but looks like I was wrong lol.

This phone runs so fast and smooth with crazy good battery life on this ICS Rom I'm using though that I'll be fine not upgrading later this year, maybe next year we'll see some nice 4.3" models again lol :D

They really don't. The smaller sizes pretty much always have significantly lower specs.

areyes163
Jun 15, 2012, 08:32 PM
The note is far to big for me. I understand why some may like it but for me it's too big. I'll stick with my 4s for a while. Then pickup the new iPhone off contract.

Lindenhurst
Jun 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
As much as I love my note, there are times the larger size is a pain in the ass, especially when I'm in the car and need to use it one handed.

Twixt
Jun 17, 2012, 01:01 PM
As much as I love my note, there are times the larger size is a pain in the ass, especially when I'm in the car and need to use it one handed.

Kinda agree on that, though using in a car is not recommended...

AbyssImpact
Jun 17, 2012, 01:58 PM

Why do you need to use it in the car one handed? Because your other hand is on the wheel? I hope you don't crash your car using the phone one handed then.

Twixt
Jun 24, 2012, 03:58 PM
Some more news:
http://news.mk.co.kr/english/newsRead.php?rss=Y&sc=30800011&year=2012&no=360619

Launch of Note 2 is for October, competing head to head with upcoming iPhone 5

BiggAW
Jun 24, 2012, 07:34 PM
Some more news:
http://news.mk.co.kr/english/newsRead.php?rss=Y&sc=30800011&year=2012&no=360619

Launch of Note 2 is for October, competing head to head with upcoming iPhone 5

I don't think it's competing head to head with anything. It's so bizarre and hideous that it's in a league of it's own.

Twixt
Jun 25, 2012, 03:05 AM
I don't think it's competing head to head with anything. It's so bizarre and hideous that it's in a league of it's own.

I agree with you. My point about competition was referring to launch date. No doubt that iphone 5 sales will outnumber Note 2 ones...
But NO Galaxy note is not bizarre and hideous, my father has one and this real estate totally changes browsing experience on a "phone". I hate browsing on my phone as I can not read anything unless pinching and resizing all the time...

bembol
Jun 25, 2012, 03:11 PM
5.5 inches! My tablet is 7.0 inches for goodness sake. If the rumors are true this will defiantly be a phone that you'll have to try out at the store before purchasing.

Exactly.

That iPad pic that keeps getting posted in every Galaxy Note thread/discussion is played out.

First. TEXTING is so popular that I rarely see people using their Smart Phones to TALK.

Second. Who says you have to hold it up when there's Bluetooth (In-Ear or Handsfree for the Car) or using the Headset. I also have Bose AE2i Headphones with Inline Remote.

Lindenhurst
Jun 25, 2012, 05:14 PM
Smartphones are rather useless if you need both hands. What if you're holding a bunch of crap walking down the street or out of a store or something? I can type, not fast, but I can type on the iPhone with one hand.

I have a Galaxy Note and agree that it is a bit big to use one handed, but with the voice options available, and bluetooth sets available, I don't mind the larger size. I use my phone 99% of the time for things other than making or receiving calls, so the larger screen was the deciding factor for me.
Also, I try not to be one of those people talking on the phone while in a store. Man that is annoying!

With that said, I did use my wifes iPhone today, and totally forgot just how usable that thing is with one hand!

Twixt
Jun 25, 2012, 06:56 PM
Exactly.

That iPad pic that keeps getting posted in every Galaxy Note thread/discussion is played out.

First. TEXTING is so popular that I rarely see people using their Smart Phones to TALK.

Second. Who says you have to hold it up when there's Bluetooth (In-Ear or Handsfree for the Car) or using the Headset. I also have Bose AE2i Headphones with Inline Remote.

+1
I don't remember when having to manage a call without any handfree kit...

Twixt
Jul 2, 2012, 06:12 PM
Galaxy Note 2 launch is for next September:

http://www.unwiredview.com/2012/06/28/samsung-galaxy-note-2-could-be-launched-in-september/

AFDoc
Jul 2, 2012, 07:46 PM
I stumbled upon macrumors by accident but have been noticing a trend among some of its members. Drama! I am in no way what I've seen others called a "fan boy" but saying the next iPhone is "almost" do or die for apple seems like you are crying out for attention or suffering from some kind of dillusional state. I'm not really sure what would be do or die about it as I've been checking the sales numbers as of late for their phones and they seem pretty robust to me. I frequent many tech sites including other iPhone leaning sites and have never seen the level of drama that I have seen here on Mac rumors. I'm sure what ever apple decides to put out next will be a great product as much as I'm sure other companies will continue to put out great products. Just like in my own home, there is enough room for many phones produced by many manufacturers. So how about dropping the hyperbole
and simply discuss the strengths and weaknesses of any given device when compared to one another. Of course while remembering that most people buy the device that best suits their need which of course makes that device the best device for them. Just a new members observation and suggestion. Partly directed towards you Twixt but your post was mostly the catalyst for an overall observation.

mbell1975
Jul 2, 2012, 08:09 PM

http://www.unwiredview.com/2012/06/28/samsung-galaxy-note-2-could-be-launched-in-september/

Nice! Damn, a 1680x1050 display is higher res then any 7 inch tablet out there but in a phone.

BiggAW
Jul 4, 2012, 08:12 AM

GEEZ. 5.5" When is the madness going to stop?

thewaffle
Jul 4, 2012, 08:30 AM
4.3 to me is the sweet spot as was my Droid X. I could do everything one handed and the screen size was perfect for reading. 5'3 is nice if you use your phone mainly for consuming media and reading but on a daily basis that's a basketball players one handed device. Why do they need to go to 5'5? I could actually put the not in my gym pants pockets but it was tight in my jeans.

Frankied22
Jul 4, 2012, 08:31 AM
Let's hope Apple doesn't try to ban this one as well.

Twixt
Jul 4, 2012, 08:53 AM
GEEZ. 5.5" When is the madness going to stop?

I have to agree it is quite large! But with previous at 5.3" and SG3 at 4.8" they had to make it significantly bigger...
At least you can eventually browse and read with this kind of display screen!

404 tech junkie
Jul 4, 2012, 09:12 PM
4.3 to me is the sweet spot as was my Droid X. I could do everything one handed and the screen size was perfect for reading. 5'3 is nice if you use your phone mainly for consuming media and reading but on a daily basis that's a basketball players one handed device. Why do they need to go to 5'5? I could actually put the not in my gym pants pockets but it was tight in my jeans.

The Galaxy Note 2, like the Galaxy Note, is not aimed at every single consumer. It is a niche item, aimed at a niche market that wants a smartphone built like a tablet. It is a convergent device, combining a tablet and a phone. It isn't made to be everyone's smartphone, just the people that are looking for a "phablet". For those looking for something a bit more like a smartphone, they sell the Galaxy S3. Contrary to what many may think, the Galaxy S3 isn't a massive phone. It's only slightly larger than 4.3" phones. For example, the HTC Amaze is 5.12" in length, compared to the Galaxy S3 being 5.38. In width, the Amaze is 2.58", while the Galaxy S3 is 2.78". That means the S3 is .25" longer, and .2" wider than the Amaze (which is a 4.3" screen device). That isn't very much device size difference at all, yet the screen size difference is very noticeable.

BiggAW
Jul 5, 2012, 07:23 PM
I have to agree it is quite large! But with previous at 5.3" and SG3 at 4.8" they had to make it significantly bigger...
At least you can eventually browse and read with this kind of display screen!

4.8" is WAY too big. 4.3" is tolerably large, but that's about it. Anything past that is just mental.

----------

That's also from a large-handed and large-boned person, so for many people, 4.3" is just too big, and 4" or smaller would be tops.

sixteen12
Jul 5, 2012, 08:07 PM
4.3 is tolerably large, but its still really big. I can't one hand nearly as much with my GS2 as I can with my iPhone. I don't have small hands, its just not as effortless so I don't do it.

Twixt
Jul 6, 2012, 07:21 AM
4.3 is tolerably large, but its still really big. I can't one hand nearly as much with my GS2 as I can with my iPhone. I don't have small hands, its just not as effortless so I don't do it.

Sure that 5.5" would require using both hands...

ajvizzgamer101
Jul 6, 2012, 08:16 AM
Each year, Galaxy Note will get bigger and bigger until Samsung tricks you into buying an Android tablet.

blackhand1001
Jul 6, 2012, 09:18 AM

It could be essentially the same size if they do nexus like onscreen buttons.

Twixt
Jul 11, 2012, 06:16 PM
Official unveiling end of upcoming August, one year after Note 1:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-galaxy-note-2-launch-date-set-for-august

adnbek
Jul 11, 2012, 06:17 PM
That's an iPad.

Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't sure.

Jb07
Jul 11, 2012, 07:35 PM
Sure that 5.5" would require using both hands...

This is such a naughty thread.;)

BiggAW
Jul 11, 2012, 08:46 PM
It could be essentially the same size if they do nexus like onscreen buttons.

It's still WAY too big.

Jb07
Jul 11, 2012, 08:53 PM
It's still WAY too big.

That may be your opinion, but some people like the size of the Note. Just because you think it is way to big, doesn't mean there aren't people who think differently.

BiggAW
Jul 12, 2012, 05:56 PM
That may be your opinion, but some people like the size of the Note. Just because you think it is way to big, doesn't mean there aren't people who think differently.

It is physically, anatomically too large for a human being to use. And I have large hands. It would be even worse for someone with more average sized hands.

Jb07
Jul 12, 2012, 08:37 PM
It is physically, anatomically too large for a human being to use. And I have large hands. It would be even worse for someone with more average sized hands.

It's too large to use one handed, maybe. But it's not "anatomically too large for a human being to use." In that case, an iPad is also too large for a human to use.

KnightWRX
Jul 13, 2012, 04:21 AM

Don't mistake your opinion for a fact. You get harping on and on about how "too big" it is, but some people might not think so. We have this skinny guy at work, asian with a typical asian build, who has the original Note and likes it to death.

Dr McKay
Jul 13, 2012, 04:03 PM
Agreed. The iPhone feels just right.

Having had various iPhones over the past 5 years, one of the biggest reasons I left and got a Windows Phone was being fed up with what increasingly felt like a tiny screen.

cube
Jul 13, 2012, 04:13 PM
We'll see. If it doesn't fit in a standard shirt pocket like the current one, it will be FAIL.

BiggAW
Jul 14, 2012, 10:30 AM
It's too large to use one handed, maybe. But it's not "anatomically too large for a human being to use." In that case, an iPad is also too large for a human to use.

That's a different use case. A phone needs to be able to be used one-handed for walking down a street or while carrying stuff, etc.

Don't mistake your opinion for a fact. You get harping on and on about how "too big" it is, but some people might not think so. We have this skinny guy at work, asian with a typical asian build, who has the original Note and likes it to death.

It is a fact that my hands are larger than average. It is also a fact that the Galaxy note is a good inch too large for my hands. Hence, it is a fact that it is too large for the vast majority of the population, unless they have highly atypically-sized hands.

Having had various iPhones over the past 5 years, one of the biggest reasons I left and got a Windows Phone was being fed up with what increasingly felt like a tiny screen.

The 3.5" screen is perfect.

Zombie Acorn
Jul 14, 2012, 10:42 AM
http://cdn.androidcommunity.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Galaxy-Note-as-phone1-540x441.jpg

Doesn't look too goofy, but I don't know if it would fit in my pocket.

Dr McKay
Jul 14, 2012, 12:35 PM

For you maybe, I got fed up with it feeling too small. My current phone has a 4.3inch screen and it feels much better.

Jb07
Jul 14, 2012, 03:34 PM

That's your opinion. I have relatively small hands and I have a Skyrocket which has a 4.5" screen, and I can use it one handed, although any bigger might be a little cumbersome for me.
The Note is a wonderful phone for people who want a larger screen and don't care about one handed use. They know what they are getting themselves into when they are buying it and it works for them, which is all that matters.

Rennir
Jul 14, 2012, 03:36 PM
I think it was just a passing fad, especially since the majority of those sales appeared to be from the first couple months.

Here in South Korea, there are tons of people who have Notes... It's generally young women who have space in their handbags for such a huge device.

Yeah I'm seeing all Galaxy Notes on korean dramas :p

It is a fact that my hands are larger than average. It is also a fact that the Galaxy note is a good inch too large for my hands. Hence, it is a fact that it is too large for the vast majority of the population, unless they have highly atypically-sized hands.

Where are you getting your data from? And you can't post such unspecified facts :p How do you define large? Is it with one hand or two? Using a phone has more dimensions to it than just hand-size. Perhaps you find it uncomfortable to put your fingers/hands in certain positions that would make it easier to use the Note.

boss.king
Jul 14, 2012, 04:12 PM

My hands are probably a similar size to yours and I find 4.7" fine to use one handed. Your opinion of the best size isn't a fact.

BiggAW
Jul 15, 2012, 08:11 AM
Where are you getting your data from? And you can't post such unspecified facts :p How do you define large? Is it with one hand or two? Using a phone has more dimensions to it than just hand-size. Perhaps you find it uncomfortable to put your fingers/hands in certain positions that would make it easier to use the Note.

I have done many hand and foot comparisons with other people, and my hands and feet are well above average. I'm also a 6'3" 250lb (and working to reduce the lb) male. Combine that with an occasional gander in the AT&T store, and you have some reality. I laugh at the Note every time I see it in the store.

My hands are probably a similar size to yours and I find 4.7" fine to use one handed. Your opinion of the best size isn't a fact.

It's based on anatomy.

annk
Jul 15, 2012, 08:43 AM
I have the Note, and while I'm enjoying it, I'm still a bit on the fence about whether or not I would go with an upgrade of the same or go over to another phone.

I found it to be too big to use with one hand until I discovered I could shrink the keyboard size and move it over to one side or the other (left- or right-handed). Now I can text again with one hand.
It's too big for my pockets, but to my surprise most of the bags I use have some pocket that's big enough.
I like being able to take simple notes on it at meetings with the pen and have them be transferred to computer-editable type. I use Evernote, and if the notes aren't too complicated it's great not to have to take my MBA or tablet with me.
The sound quality is good, and even better with the provided handsfree. I have an Etymotic BT speaker/mike, but BT drains phone batteries too fast for my taste.
Good screen size for surfing and reading Kindle books. I use it a lot for reading on the way to and from work. My tablet now stays home a lot of the time.

Basically I like to try stuff out, and am enjoying getting to know the device. But it is BIG for a phone. :p

gto55
Jul 23, 2012, 02:00 PM
More infos abote the note 2, could be announced on August the 15th
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-note-2-could-beat-galaxy-s3-quad-core-power-1089856#article-comments

So no ARM15 as the rumors were expecting :confused:
http://ubuntulife.net/samsung-galaxy-note-2-release-date/
http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-2-launch-date-october-display-specs-92780/

Toltepeceno
Jul 23, 2012, 02:27 PM
Why do people get so upset over what someone else uses? Why be so insecure?

bembol
Jul 23, 2012, 08:47 PM
I don't get it either. It's not like Apple or Google are paying you.

I'm currently using Samsung Galaxy S3 and replying with my BlackBerry PlayBook. In a few minutes I'm going out to buy the new 13" MacBook Air. IMO all are the best in their class.

alex2792
Jul 25, 2012, 08:44 PM
If this beast comes to Verizon I will be trading my S3 for the note 2 ASAP.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jul 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
Does this come with a car dash kit? :eek:

Oohara
Jul 28, 2012, 04:35 PM
I wish they could make a Nexus version of this thing, just all black on the front. That Samsung logo is unbearable.

Jb07
Jul 28, 2012, 11:44 PM
I'd like to get this rather than a GS3, but if the resolution is only going to be 720*1280 (as rumors suggest), I might just get the GS3. That's just such a big drop in PPI.