Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple claims that iOS 6, the next version of its iPhone and iPad operating system, is "compatible" with devices as old as the iPhone 3GS. The 3GS was originally released nearly three years ago in June 2009 -- an eternity in gadget time.

However, at the bottom of Apple's iOS 6 info page lies a small disclaimer: "Not all features are available on all devices." This is followed by eight footnotes detailing exactly which features work on which devices.

ios6-feature-chart.png

Some features, like the VIP List for email, the Offline Reading List, and Shared Photo Stream won't work on the iPhone 3GS. Even flagship iOS features like Siri and FaceTime over cellular won't work on recent devices like the iPhone 4 or the iPad 2 -- not to mention the iPhone 3GS.

All that said, however, iPhone 3GS owners will receive iOS 6 features like redesigned App and Music Stores, Cloud Tabs in Safari, Facebook integration, and other improvements -- it just won't include nearly the same number of features as the owners of Apple's latest and greatest gadgets.

Article Link: New Features in iOS 6 Receive Spotty Support from Older Devices

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
"Android is fragmented. But iOS isn't." Where's the sandbox so I can put my head in there with all the other people claiming this ?

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
And this isn't fragmentation? How funny that Apple of all companies, who rips on Android for be fragmented, goes and fragments the whole OS. Again, people, Apple doesn't care about the consumer. What reason is there for not enabling Face time over 3G on the iPhone 4? Skype can do it fine, and so can jailbroken handsets. Apple doesn't care about you, they simply care about bilking more money out of everyone!

Last edited:

squirekyle

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2010
No FaceTime over 3G for iPhone 4? :mad:
No Siri support for iPod or iPhone 4? :mad:
No Turn by Turn Directions for iPhone 4? :mad:

:apple: Is it still magical?:apple: :p

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
"Android is fragmented. But iOS isn't." Where's the sandbox so I can put my head in there with all the other people claiming this ?

Because the android version of this chart would have over 2000 devices?

arn

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Welcome to having hardware dictate what you can do with your software. If it doesn't perform really well in testing, Apple won't let it out in the wild or else you'll have X million complainers. [Begin rants on "Apple updates its products too fast!"]

MacintoshUser86

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
Primos, PA
Is it just me or does anyone find it odd that the iPhone 4 is getting lack of support? The difference from the 4 and 4S aren't that huge. With the exception of Siri (and I still think Siri should of been added on the iPhone 4) this is ridiculous.

I can understand the 3GS completely but not the iPhone 4.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Where's the sandbox so I can put my head in there[...]?

The Mac App Store's apps. ;)

Also, iPhone 4 users are getting this ill treatment to excite them for the next iPhone, which Apple would really like them to buy. Most of the iPhone 4 contracts are probably expiring soon.

Edit:

In all seriousness though, this isn't at all what Apple is talking about. When Apple talks about fragmentation, they're referring to the fact that developers have to make multiple versions of their apps to support all the Android devices. The fact that Siri isn't on the iPhone 4 doesn't require me to make a separate version of my app, nor do any of those other neglected features.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I know this is par for Apple's course, but as an iPhone 4 owner, I still say "Ugh!"

i agree. I hate when apple release cool new features which could perfectly run on a device and simply disable it. There is really no reason why turn by turn navigation, FaceTime over 3G could not work on the iPhone 4.

I can understand why flyover is not available, due to the rendering requiring faster processor speed. Apple is not doing that bad that they need everyone to upgrade their iPhone every 12-24 months to get all the latest software features.

devinher

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
This doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I have a 4, and am a little disappointed but Apple protects the user experience and it makes sense to me that some features, if they are to keep innovating, won't be available on all handsets.

I'd honestly rather miss out on a couple of features than have my phone's performance degraded by functions better suited to more powerful hardware. Apple's earned a little trust in this regard, in my opinion.

richphoto

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Beta

Still in beta

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple claims that iOS 6, the next version of its iPhone and iPad operating system, is "compatible" with devices as old as the iPhone 3GS. The 3GS was originally released nearly three years ago in June 2009 -- an eternity in gadget time.

However, at the bottom of Apple's iOS 6 info page lies a small disclaimer: "Not all features are available on all devices." This is followed by 8 footnotes detailing exactly what features work on what device.

Some features, like the VIP List for email, the Offline Reading List, and Shared Photo Stream won't work on the iPhone 3GS. Even flagship iOS features like Flyover, turn-by-turn navigation, and FaceTime over cellular won't work on recent devices like the iPhone 4 or the iPad 2 -- not to mention the iPhone 3GS.

All that said, however, iPhone 3GS owners will receive iOS 6 features like redesigned App and Music Stores, Cloud Tabs in Safari, Facebook integration, and other improvements -- it just won't include nearly the same number of features as the owners of Apple's latest and greatest gadgets.

Article Link: New Features in iOS 6 Receive Spotty Support from Older Devices

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.