PDA

View Full Version : IOS6 Maps installed on phone(tomtom)? or downloaded as you go (googlemaps)

al82
Jun 12, 2012, 06:58 PM
I have the Tomtom app on my phone at the moment, problem i had with the free maps that comes with ios 5 is that it uses data to download maps as you go along, so in a rural area it would not load fast enough. With Tomtom the maps are installed on the phone itself.

Can someone tell me if with ios6 you have the options to install the maps on the phone instead of relying on a data connection???

jfrancis04
Jun 12, 2012, 08:09 PM
This is a good question and I've been wondering as well.

Need to know how much this will eat away at my data plan. Seems like less data will be used if the maps are pre-installed.

Tinmania
Jun 12, 2012, 08:18 PM
I have the Tomtom app on my phone at the moment, problem i had with the free maps that comes with ios 5 is that it uses data to download maps as you go along, so in a rural area it would not load fast enough. With Tomtom the maps are installed on the phone itself.

Can someone tell me if with ios6 you have the options to install the maps on the phone instead of relying on a data connection???
No such option: you need Internet.

The map apps that allow on-board maps, such as TomTom are still going to be useful on iOS 6.

The new Maps app, while nice, is still a download-as-you go solution. And, no data, no maps. It's like MapQuest, etc., that are very good nav apps, but need Internet to work.

So I would still leave TomTom installed. The reason you pay more for apps like that is exactly because you can have all the maps stored on the device.

I have Navigon, which I will also continue to use on 6.0. What I like about Navigon is you can download only the areas you want. I really only Need Arizona, California, and Nevada so my whole Navigon installation is around 300-400 megabytes (vs. 2 gigabytes when the only option was to load everything).

Michael

ZeRoLiMiT
Jun 13, 2012, 12:48 AM
No such option: you need Internet.

The map apps that allow on-board maps, such as TomTom are still going to be useful on iOS 6.

The new Maps app, while nice, is still a download-as-you go solution. And, no data, no maps. It's like MapQuest, etc., that are very good nav apps, but need Internet to work.

So I would still leave TomTom installed. The reason you pay more for apps like that is exactly because you can have all the maps stored on the device.

I have Navigon, which I will also continue to use on 6.0. What I like about Navigon is you can download only the areas you want. I really only Need Arizona, California, and Nevada so my whole Navigon installation is around 300-400 megabytes (vs. 2 gigabytes when the only option was to load everything).

Michael

very true! hope that with the new updates we can downloadsome maps ;) keep in mind its beta so we got more things to come