Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomhwcheung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Hep !! Does iOS6 map have Offline navigation?? No Data Plan! :mad::mad:

I know the 3d map is gorgeous, but does it come with offline mode??
Can i preload the map data ??

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Wait for iOS 7 for Apple to copy that feature from Android. ;)

(to those of you getting angry, that was a joke)

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
I tried this briefly today. Although you need data to find your destination, once you hit route you can turn off data and the route will be cached. All turns will be called out by Siri and it'll tell you exactly how to get there. However, you still need the data just to plan the route.

I tried this briefly today. Although you need data to find your destination, once you hit route you can turn off data and the route will be cached. All turns will be called out by Siri and it'll tell you exactly how to get there. However, you still need the data just to plan the route.

That's good. Next test, what happens if you go off route? is there a buffered region around which can still reroute you? It would be good to see how wide an area that encompassed

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
I'm afraid I can't conduct any more tests on this - my data usage went through the roof, and it was downloading something constantly, so I've rolled back to 5.1.1.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

You'll have the route and the turn by turn but you won't have the actual maps. Those are downloaded on the fly.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
You'll have the route and the turn by turn but you won't have the actual maps. Those are downloaded on the fly.

I'm not sure when this is correct. I took a short detour from the route that Siri had given me and it still displayed other streets nearby that weren't on my original route.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
After just a short bit of experimentation, my experience has been that where the mobile signal drops out, the map itself is no longer shown (i.e. no roads), but the route is still displayed. The attached pic shows what I mean - see how to motorway disappears, but the blue line marking the route is still there. It's also good to see that Siri obviously doesn't realise we drive on the left in the UK; exiting to the right as it suggests could have fairly fatal consequences!

Attachments

• M4.png
    M4.png
    608.4 KB · Views: 176

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
useless features unless data plans will include roaming.

because for Europe, it is out of question. Even the most expensive data plans do not include Europe international cell call Roaming and Apple wants us to use data ?? :eek:

Friend of mine had to pay 600 Eur, reduced from 6000 Eur, and he even did not leave the country. (they call it 25GB fair usage... written with tiny letters under unlimited XXL Plan ) :(

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
because for Europe, it is out of question. Even the most expensive data plans do not include Europe international cell call Roaming and Apple wants us to use data ?? :eek:

Friend of mine had to pay 600 Eur, reduced from 6000 Eur, and he even did not leave the country. (they call it 25GB fair usage... written with tiny letters under unlimited XXL Plan ) :(

It works on wifi.

Or just use tomtom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.