PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases 'Every Dimension' TV Commercial for Retina MacBook Pro

MacRumors
Jun 12, 2012, 09:52 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/apple-releases-every-dimension-tv-commercial-for-retina-macbook-pro/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/macbook_pro_retina_hand.jpg

Apple has just released a new TV ad for the Retina MacBook Pro, naturally focusing on the breakthrough Retina display included in the machine unveiled yesterday.The radical new MacBook Pro with Retina display. Innovation in every dimension.AFUW7GcHsLQ
While Apple has had several high-profile Mac ad campaigns such as "Get a Mac" and "Switch" , the company only rarely advertises specific Mac products in television commercials. But with the revolutionary new form factor and Retina display in the new MacBook Pro, Apple is clearly interested in drawing widespread attention to the product.

Article Link: Apple Releases 'Every Dimension' TV Commercial for Retina MacBook Pro (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/apple-releases-every-dimension-tv-commercial-for-retina-macbook-pro/)

ECUpirate44
Jun 12, 2012, 09:53 PM
First Mac commercial i've seen in years. Rejoice!

Ljohnson72
Jun 12, 2012, 09:53 PM
Love it!

gregwyattjr
Jun 12, 2012, 09:55 PM
Does anyone have any idea as to why Apple only released one of these models instead up just updating the whole MacBook Pro lineup to this new form factor and retina display? Does it have anything to do with price discrimination in order to get the most money out of it or did they actually have a reason for only releasing it in one 15" model?

AustinIllini
Jun 12, 2012, 09:57 PM
Too expensive for my taste, but it's good Apple can flex its muscles a bit.

Chrisg2014
Jun 12, 2012, 09:57 PM
I want it..

HAHA wish I could afford it...

ECUpirate44
Jun 12, 2012, 09:58 PM
Does anyone have any idea as to why Apple only released one of these models instead up just updating the whole MacBook Pro lineup to this new form factor and retina display? Does it have anything to do with price discrimination in order to get the most money out of it or did they actually have a reason for only releasing it in one 15" model?

The ODD is dying a slow death and SSD's are still too expensive for large capacities, something a pro user needs.

Michael Scrip
Jun 12, 2012, 09:58 PM

I think $1199 would be hard to reach with a Retina display.

AustinIllini
Jun 12, 2012, 09:59 PM

I'm not sure it's related to the number of pixels or if statistically Apple determined it wasn't to their advantage to create a 17" model.

Hakone
Jun 12, 2012, 10:00 PM
I hope it's as awesome in person. Checkin' it out this weekend.

troop231
Insanely great commercial :)

Xtremehkr
It's too bad there are no televisions available with the resolution to show how good the retina display resolution is. I wonder if this will increase traffic to Apple Stores because that's the only way to see how good the new display is.

Winni
Jun 12, 2012, 10:01 PM
I really, really like this new machine. Yve and his team once again did an awesome job. It was the only highlight of a rather uninteresting keynote.

The Monkey
Are new commercials for Apple products really worth a page 1 post? Isn't that just an advertisement, too?

thelonelylimo
Incredible.

Macrolido
Jun 12, 2012, 10:02 PM
It looks as thin as the MacBook Air...

cycomiko
Jun 12, 2012, 10:02 PM

yet they can fit a fairly complex high res screen in an ipad, and a much larger battery, than hte previous year, and keep it at the same price.

Sure the ipad may have had a larger margin to play with, but between the larger SSD and the retna display, i suspect apple have a fair bit of margin buffer added into this product.

winterlocked
Jun 12, 2012, 10:04 PM
HEY... this is the same music that Ford's been using in their commercials for a while.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCXPgLlmW9I
http://vimeo.com/3546347

Admittedly, this is a much, much better ad. The Ford ones are basically a bunch of talking heads saying "hey, we're pretty sure these cars aren't terrible!"

Anyone know where to get that trees-in-water image they're using as a background?

Love
Jun 12, 2012, 10:05 PM
Music reminds one of a Ford commercial of but a few fortnights ago, but an excellent commercial indeed.

Yamcha
Jun 12, 2012, 10:06 PM
I love the ad..

DrJohnnyN
Jun 12, 2012, 10:06 PM
Beautiful.

realeric
Jun 12, 2012, 10:09 PM
I tell you the truth: It's too expensive.

typecase
Jun 12, 2012, 10:09 PM
I love that wave video. Anyone know it where to get it?

charlituna
Jun 12, 2012, 10:10 PM
It's too bad there are no televisions available with the resolution to show how good the retina display resolution is.

You mean not until Apple releases there. :D:D

Seriously though, if they did a Retina Cinema Display in like a 40 inch with HDMI input I'd be all over it. Put it right next to my ODD list, slimmed up 30 inch retina iMac.

kustardking
Jun 12, 2012, 10:13 PM
Are new commercials for Apple products really worth a page 1 post? Isn't that just an advertisement, too?

Well, 99% of the articles will be about Apple; note the "macrumors" domain name. Anyone coming to the forum is looking for Apple info, so it's not like a soda ad placement or something. It's legitimate news in that it shows what Apple's focus is, relevant for both investors and consumers alike. I for one do not watch TV, so I don't see popular-culture ads. Furthermore, if these forums don't constantly post fresh articles, people will stop visiting.

Xtremehkr
Jun 12, 2012, 10:16 PM

Seriously though, if they did a Retina Cinema Display in like a 40 inch with HDMI input I'd be all over it. Put it right next to my ODD list, slimmed up 30 inch retina iMac.

That would be great but there's no content to show on a screen that good, yet. Outside of using it as a giant external monitor there's really nothing to play that would take advantage of the resolution.

Hopefully the arrival of these screens will lead to higher standards arriving sooner than later.

Hastings101
Jun 12, 2012, 10:19 PM
I'm curious how well games will run on such a high resolution on a notebook computer.

ericinboston
Widespread attention for a $2200 Retina laptop...yeah...Apple will get widespread attention alright.

The Monkey
Well, 99% of the articles will be about Apple; note the "macrumors" domain name. Anyone coming to the forum is looking for Apple info, so it's not like a soda ad placement or something. It's legitimate news in that it shows what Apple's focus is, relevant for both investors and consumers alike. I for one do not watch TV, so I don't see popular-culture ads. Furthermore, if these forums don't constantly post fresh articles, people will stop visiting.

Understood and I respect your points, but jesus, I mean tv commercials. I think a dedicated "Apple ads" page or subforum would be more appropriate.

dagamer34
Jun 12, 2012, 10:20 PM
HEY.. this is the same music that Ford's been using in their commercials for several years.

Wow, that song is amazing...

Steve~Jobs
Jun 12, 2012, 10:21 PM
I forget the name of the advertising company that Apple uses (it was mentioned the Steve Jobs book, I'm guessing they still use the same company) But anyway the security level at that company has to rival Apple since a comercial produced like this would take bare minium a couple days to put together. Which means that at least a dozen people filming, editing, voiceovers, etc... would know the details about this new product. It's amazing that those people can keep a secret. Unless of course the ad is filmed and edited in less then 24 hours, which is doubtful.

WilliamG
Jun 12, 2012, 10:23 PM
What is that person's finger doing at the end? It's like it's tapping somewhere in the middle of the keyboard? Like... wha? :confused:

Nice ad, but the ending for me kills it. Just doesn't make any sense, unless I'm being dense...

dagamer34
Jun 12, 2012, 10:24 PM
Widespread attention for a $2200 Retina laptop...yeah...Apple will get widespread attention alright.

I don't particularly care about the cost. I care about pushing the industry forward, because sadly, most PC OEMs could care less about making better computers until Apple basically makes them look like total ****. Without OS X, we wouldn't have the polished performance of Windows 7 after the horrendous start of Windows Vista. Without iOS, we wouldn't have the diversity of Android and the forced rebirth of Windows Mobile into Windows Phone 7.

Competition is the only thing that causes companies to push the boundaries of what they can do.

Michael Scrip
Jun 12, 2012, 10:24 PM
yet they can fit a fairly complex high res screen in an ipad, and a much larger battery, than hte previous year, and keep it at the same price.

Sure the ipad may have had a larger margin to play with, but between the larger SSD and the retna display, i suspect apple have a fair bit of margin buffer added into this product.

Good point.

But... Apple buys iPad screens by the tens of millions. I'm sure they get a damn good price for them. Bulk pricing, economies of scale, all that jazz.

Tim Cook is the supply chain guy. He probably crunched the numbers and decided it wasn't feasible to roll out Retina screens to the entire Macbook line.

All we can do is speculate.

FloatingBones
Jun 12, 2012, 10:25 PM
When Phil introduced the machine in the WWDC keynote, they had it on a turntable. They continue using the turntable in their TV ad campaign. Cool.

berkleeboy210
Jun 12, 2012, 10:26 PM
Makes me want one even more! Sooner or later I think I'll cave in and buy one. :apple:

dank414
Jun 12, 2012, 10:30 PM

I agree. I was hoping the New Macbook Pro with the tune of $1799 original price. While I love the retina screen, if the price could be reduced by using the older 1680x1050 hi-res display panel; I would choose that instead. It's just difficult to justify the $2200 price tag.

lamina
Jun 12, 2012, 10:31 PM
I think that this commercial is more about what Apple is, rather than that product. I love the touch at the end. It drives home Apple's innovative use of touch. There's something so 'human' about that.

reginaldfortuna
Jun 12, 2012, 10:31 PM
HEY.. this is the same music that Ford's been using in their commercials for several years.

I think it was only Ford commericals in Canada..

chuckles:)
Jun 12, 2012, 10:32 PM
I forget the name of the advertising company that Apple uses (it was mentioned the Steve Jobs book, I'm guessing they still use the same company) But anyway the security level at that company has to rival Apple since a comercial produced like this would take bare minium a couple days to put together. Which means that at least a dozen people filming, editing, voiceovers, etc... would know the details about this new product. It's amazing that those people can keep a secret. Unless of course the ad is filmed and edited in less then 24 hours, which is doubtful.

Not to mention the hundreds of people who were involved in its development. It's amazing what an NDA and threats of legal action can do.

Epic Xbox Revie
Jun 12, 2012, 10:34 PM
The last time Apple had a brand new design, was the Macbook Air. Back in 2008 the entry air was something like $1600, it's come down nearly half that. Hopefully the next iteration in 2013 will feature a price drop. THEN, I will jump onboard.

twoodcc
Jun 12, 2012, 10:34 PM
Nice commercial. Saw it during nba finals

ohbrilliance
Jun 12, 2012, 10:38 PM
I forget the name of the advertising company that Apple uses (it was mentioned the Steve Jobs book, I'm guessing they still use the same company)

The agency is TBWA\Chiat\Day. They had a very strong relationship with Steve Jobs, who would attend the weekly WIP meetings.

ObjectiveV
Jun 12, 2012, 10:39 PM
I like how they show the machine doing real pro level work since that is their market.

Don't really care for the voice work though.

rei101
Jun 12, 2012, 10:39 PM
There was not wow effect in that commercial, was neither fun or had any "spirit".

The lack of Steve Jobs and his approach is dissolving. I see selling features, not an experience.

ghostface147
Jun 12, 2012, 10:40 PM
They sure do like Peter Coyote.

TheStonepedo
Jun 12, 2012, 10:41 PM
It's too bad there are no televisions available with the resolution to show how good the retina display resolution is. I wonder if this will increase traffic to Apple Stores because that's the only way to see how good the new display is.
It's like watching an ad for Blu-Ray full of supposedly-amazing video and sound effects being played as a trailer on a DVD on a CRT TV.
It should be fun to test-fire one at a brick and mortar store.

jwhite878
Jun 12, 2012, 10:41 PM
Mac is back!

stagi
Jun 12, 2012, 10:42 PM
still have to see this in person, might have to head out to the apple store tomorrow :)

charlituna
Jun 12, 2012, 10:44 PM
What is that person's finger doing at the end? It's like it's tapping somewhere in the middle of the keyboard? Like... wha? :confused:

Nice ad, but the ending for me kills it. Just doesn't make any sense, unless I'm being dense...

doesn't matter what they are doing. the finger is there as a visual reference for just how thin it is. Phil did the same thing at the Keynote

Ecnal7
Jun 12, 2012, 10:46 PM
15" is too big. Give me the 13" and we'll talk. ;)

NinjaKid
Jun 12, 2012, 10:48 PM
Nice screen, nice size but no DVD, no HD option, they can keep it.

ghettochris
Jun 12, 2012, 10:52 PM
In every dimension except the 3rd dimension maybe. Too bad apple can't make a good 3d screen. Or anyone else pretty much for that matter.

Best option out there since all the glasses displays/tv's have ghosting:

Sony HMZ-T1 (http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=HMZT1)

----------

I like how they have some of the aurora from the space station timelapse being worked on in final cut.

I love the guys up there in the ISS pointing a nice nikon out the window at night taking a picuture every second.

http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/Videos/CrewEarthObservationsVideos/

Zaqfalcon
Jun 12, 2012, 10:54 PM
Boring ad. Nice computer though. Tricky to make a laptop advert interesting I suppose.

Not sure who the ad is aimed at? Pros/serious amateurs who need the grunt and use it as a tool will be more interested in the completely unmentioned specs I would think, people who are into the style will realise it's overpowered and too pricey, fanboys will cream their pants whatever the ad's like; must be for the rich and aspirational buyers to get people in the door.

How much would I get for a 2 year old 15" MBP, 2.66 i7, 8GB, 500GB 720rpm, Hi Res Antiglare? :p

So Random
Jun 12, 2012, 10:57 PM
Not sure who the ad is aimed at?

Same as all their other ads: the biggest segment of the market. But really, everyone.

greytmom
Jun 12, 2012, 10:59 PM
Ghost hands. Love it.

JeffLubowski
Jun 12, 2012, 11:01 PM

There are probably several reasons. Lots of space is needed for the battery so the Airs were out. Also, a dedicated video card was needed so the 13" didn't make sense. Plus, a 13" version would have meant another redesigned form factor and different display resolution. There will probably be a 13" version next year but it won't be appearing in the Airs for a long time. Also, lots of people value cheap, massive HDDs over expensive, fast flash storage.

Storage cost is a big issue. HDDs are way cheaper than blade SSDs. In fact, the retina display is actually priced less that the regular MBP. Upgrade the low end 15" to a 256 SSD and 8GB RAM and it is actually $200 more than the low end retina MBP. Either Apple is selling the retinas at a very good price or they overcharge for upgrades.

The profit margin on the retina MBPs must be fairly low. Apple is probably more interested in creating buzz and adding to their mystique than they are in selling mass quantities of the thing.

goobot
Jun 12, 2012, 11:02 PM
I hope my apple store has some in stock tomorrow!

hydr
Jun 12, 2012, 11:06 PM
They use clips from "The Aurora" seen here:
http://vimeo.com/21294655

drewisanapple
Jun 12, 2012, 11:12 PM
In 2010, people Thought the iPad would cannibalize the need for pcs. This just shows that people need the computer to be the best for what it needs to do. And it accomplishes that in stride.

SvK
Jun 12, 2012, 11:12 PM
it can not house 32 gig of ram and can only house 1 drive.....

yet it is marketed towards editors, composers, creatives

hmmmmmmm
not smart

redmac
Jun 12, 2012, 11:13 PM
The last time Apple had a brand new design, was the Macbook Air. Back in 2008 the entry air was something like $1600, it's come down nearly half that. Hopefully the next iteration in 2013 will feature a price drop. THEN, I will jump onboard.

The last time Macs had a brand new design, was the third generation MacBook Air in October 2010.

aristotle
Jun 12, 2012, 11:16 PM
Link to even a desktop LCD with equal or better resolution? Link to any laptop with resolution even close to it? Link to a laptop with a 1920x1200 or greater resolution + 8 GB ram + 512GB SSD + i7 + Dedicated Nvidia for a lot less while being anywhere close to as thin and light?
:rolleyes:

walex19
Jun 12, 2012, 11:19 PM

Is this guy serious?

Buckeyestar
Jun 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
Link to even a desktop LCD with equal or better resolution? Link to any laptop with resolution even close to it? Link to a laptop with a 1920x1200 or greater resolution + 8 GB ram + 512GB SSD + i7 + Dedicated Nvidia for a lot less while being anywhere close to as thin and light?
:rolleyes:

And that makes it inexpensive? :rolleyes:

WestonHarvey1
Jun 12, 2012, 11:20 PM

It's a period of transition. It's a good model for early adopters but some pros still need the larger storage and aren't quite ready to ditch the optical drive.

Also, a "hi res" option (for lack of a better term) isn't available yet. A 3360x2100 Retina display is needed to match the screen real estate of the current "Hi-Res" screen upgrade on the standard MBPs.

Mak47
Jun 12, 2012, 11:20 PM

It likely has more to do with the supply chain than anything. When Apple first launched the MacBook Air it was significantly more expensive than it is now and only came in one size. As they start churning out machines, they'll be able to build out the supply chain more efficiently. This means in the long term the price will go down and allow for more options if appropriate.

It's pretty clear why they didn't do it with the entire Pro lineup, meaning the 13". First, they would've had to jack the price way up. This would have priced it out of the range of most people. By retaining the existing lineup for at least one more generation they avoided whining about the ODD and still had some lower priced options available.

The other reason is that doing this with the 13" Pro doesn't make sense. It doesn't have discrete graphics, it doesn't do quad-core. This means it'll be tough to power the retina display, and it's really nothing more than a slightly more powerful, slightly less mobile MacBook Air. The 15" is a true Pro level machine.

Abazigal
Jun 12, 2012, 11:21 PM

It's probably an issue of price discrimination.

The retina MBP isn't cheap, and not everyone is able or willing to blow $2k+ on a high end laptop. They likely still want to keep the entry lv MBPs and MBAs around to cater to more price-conscious consumers.

Though it seems that if you want performance, it is still quite affordable to install your own 16gb of ram and SSD in your existing MBP.

Another issue could be battery life for the airs. They are already so slimmed down, there is literally nothing left that they can take out to make way for a bigger battery. So sadly, I don't see a retina air in the near future unless some massive breakthrough in battery tech is made. :(

Then again, if / when they do come out with a retina 13" MBP, there may not be any reason to go for the 13" MBA.

The Monkey
Jun 12, 2012, 11:24 PM
Is this guy serious?

Of course I am.

knewsom
Jun 12, 2012, 11:25 PM

I believe this was probably done on purpose... They let everyone forget they ever made computers... all while they fell in love with their iPhones and iPads. Then.... BLAMO!

Mak47
Jun 12, 2012, 11:26 PM

hmmmmmmm
not smart

Seriously? It's a laptop. There are compromises. It can do 16GB of RAM. That's ample for audio, image editing and even a lot of video work.

Are more RAM and additional drives better? Sure. That's what desktops are for. Laptops don't replace desktops for most pros, they compliment them. Machines like this allow us to take our work out of the studio when we need to. It's a huge benefit. When we're done, we bring it back, dump it to the main workstation and finish the job.

Portable computers are an exercise in compromise, they always have been and likely always will be.

Cory Bauer
Jun 12, 2012, 11:29 PM
In fact, the retina display is actually priced less that the regular MBP. Upgrade the low end 15" to a 256 SSD and 8GB RAM and it is actually $200 more than the low end retina MBP. Either Apple is selling the retinas at a very good price or they overcharge for upgrades.
Yup, I noticed that too. The new Macbook Pro is $200 cheaper than an equally configured legacy MacBook Pro, and even then has double the VRAM and of course the retina display.

Geolink
Jun 12, 2012, 11:49 PM
Except film editors most likely like to edit on desktops... you know Apple, the iMac... :rolleyes:

mosx
Jun 12, 2012, 11:50 PM
lol @ GT 650M GPU pushing 5 million pixels. The performance of that MacBook "Pro" is going to absolutely CHUG when it comes to any GPU related functionality that isn't basic UI functions.

Asking a GT 650M to push 5 million pixels on screen is sort of like asking a Corvette to pull a fully loaded 18 wheeler trailer. Stupid stupid stupid combination.

JS3
Jun 12, 2012, 11:51 PM
I'm gonna hook a keyboard to my ipad 3 and imagine its a 10" macbook pro/air with retina.lol.

PlutoPrime
Jun 12, 2012, 11:53 PM

Yes.

It's because this is a product that's meant to set the stage for a transition. Transitioning away from not having optical drives, no ethernet port, thinner profile. And the screen is new so it's expensive.

Apple wants the prices to drop for the screen production, so they can replace their existing lineup, not augment it. Maintaining a product-line that has two symmetric sets of Mac book pros (2 13" models and 2 15" models) is more expensive and in-efficient for Apple's focus and desire for having quickly moving inventory. The more variations you have of a product the more complex and greater the in-efficiencies.

This laptop allows a platform and runway for the software to catchup to retina screens and for ethernet and optical to have time to become even more irrelevant. In about 1-2 years apple will discontinue the thicker MacBooks and replace the line completely with the new thinner model at a better price point.

bjm2660
Jun 12, 2012, 11:57 PM
I believe this was probably done on purpose... They let everyone forget they ever made computers... all while they fell in love with their iPhones and iPads. Then.... BLAMO!

I like the way you think. This is how I feel about all of apple's products. "Yes. They make a router. Yes. They make a fine notebook." Etc. I was just reading on another thread where some guy didn't realize that the Airport Express could be used as the primary wifi router (not just an extender) and always has had this functionality! Am I a fanboy? Yes. Apple tends to do a very nice job when they set out to tackle a perceived problem and create a superior user experience.

deannnnn
Jun 13, 2012, 12:01 AM
Saw this on the NBA Finals tonight. It was a great reminder that my new MBP is coming in a few days! But then the game came back on and my Miami Heat lost so... moment ruined.

AF08
Jun 13, 2012, 12:05 AM
Good to see a Mac ad once again, maybe Apple hasn't completely forgotten about the Mac :D

doelcm82
Jun 13, 2012, 12:07 AM

hmmmmmmm
not smart

You're a comedian!:D

It's a slim, extremely portable notebook marketed toward editors, composers, creatives.

And it will sell.

Smart.

Lynn Belvedere
Jun 13, 2012, 12:13 AM

It will be a niche product for sure, unless I'm way off on the state of the American economy. $2200 is absolutely crazy.

----------

Saw this on the NBA Finals tonight. It was a great reminder that my new MBP is coming in a few days! But then the game came back on and my Miami Heat lost so... moment ruined.

The Heat are the only team in pro sports that deserve to be booed in their home building. How can you cheer for those jackasses?

vikpt
Jun 13, 2012, 12:14 AM
I hope Apple will release a 13 in. version of this next year or soon! :(

SvK
Jun 13, 2012, 12:28 AM
Seriously? It's a laptop. There are compromises. It can do 16GB of RAM. That's ample for audio, image editing and even a lot of video work.

Are more RAM and additional drives better? Sure. That's what desktops are for. Laptops don't replace desktops for most pros, they compliment them. Machines like this allow us to take our work out of the studio when we need to. It's a huge benefit. When we're done, we bring it back, dump it to the main workstation and finish the job.

Portable computers are an exercise in compromise, they always have been and likely always will be.

I agree which is precisely why a powerhouse laptop with a system drive SSD and a 2nd internal project SSD + 32 gig RAM is appealling.

best,
SvK

----------

You're a comedian!:D

It's a slim, extremely portable notebook marketed toward editors, composers, creatives.

And it will sell.

Smart.

rule number 1.
Don't stream of your system drive when editing, composing if you can help it.

Abazigal
Jun 13, 2012, 12:30 AM
It will be a niche product for sure, unless I'm way off on the state of the American economy. $2200 is absolutely crazy.

----------

The Heat are the only team in pro sports that deserve to be booed in their home building. How can you cheer for those jackasses?

Niche perhaps, but it sure reminds people that Apple is still actively involved in the professional market. It may possibly be the next Apple status symbol, considering that ios devices are becoming extremely mainstream. :D

orfeas0
Jun 13, 2012, 12:34 AM
Niche perhaps, but it sure reminds people that Apple is still actively involved in the professional market. It may possibly be the next Apple status symbol, considering that ios devices are becoming extremely mainstream. :D

Status symbol?

I'm glad apple made such a great professional product, but it's not a money maker like their other products.
It's too expensive for most people...
I think they should reduce all their laptop's prices by 100$.
Didn't they say they reduced the macbook air's price by 100$ in WWDC? It doesn't seem so...

petsounds
Jun 13, 2012, 12:45 AM

I agree, this is really nice to see!

But I'm not sure they've really said anything with this. Yes, they show its svelte qualities, but most people have seen the Air before. The big feature on this is the Retina display and they only throw the word out, as if your average person knows a what Retina display is. Of course Apple's agency runs into the classic HDTV problem -- how do you show how high-res the screen is when they're watching it on a low-res screen. But this isn't Samsung, this is Apple. I expect something more creative to get people to understand what the Retina display means.

28monkeys
Jun 13, 2012, 12:56 AM
"Innovation in every dimension"...wow, i really want to be part of that.

PeterQVenkman
Jun 13, 2012, 01:02 AM

Wow, you're right. It's a relief to see a computer - a bad ass computer - rather than an iDevice.

bketchum
Jun 13, 2012, 01:03 AM

That's what Steve Jobs would say, then make them take it out.

mattkilla420
Jun 13, 2012, 01:08 AM

i would say it is because of the price. if they had upgraded the 13 and 15 with retina display, it would cripple sales since most people are not going to spend 2200 on a notebook. the 13 would be cheaper but would not have the graphics, only the intel 4000 inside because of size that would probably put the price at 1600-1700 on base model if they just had a 128ssd. and idk if it could handle the display. if it could not handle the display, that just would make it a mac air.

so the 13inch can not handle the retina display at this time and 2200+ is too much for majority of people buying a 15 notbook.

holmesf
Jun 13, 2012, 01:13 AM
lol @ GT 650M GPU pushing 5 million pixels. The performance of that MacBook "Pro" is going to absolutely CHUG when it comes to any GPU related functionality that isn't basic UI functions.

Asking a GT 650M to push 5 million pixels on screen is sort of like asking a Corvette to pull a fully loaded 18 wheeler trailer. Stupid stupid stupid combination.

My 2009 Macbook Pro with a Geforce 9400M pushes my 1.2 million pixels just fine. The 650M has 24x the number of shading units, or about 6x as many per pixel. I think it'll handle 5 million pixels just fine. And games can always run below the full resolution of the display anyway. Though frankly I doubt you'll need to.

knewsom
Jun 13, 2012, 01:14 AM
I agree which is precisely why a powerhouse laptop with a system drive SSD and a 2nd internal project SSD + 32 gig RAM is appealling.

best,
SvK

----------

rule number 1.

I'm an editor and a colorist. I almost never use internal drives for anything except launching applications. Ever. External RAID enclosures are affordable and dramatically advantageous. With USB 3 and 2 TB ports, this lil' fella is capable of darn near anything you can throw at it. I reckon I could completely finish a feature film in stereoscopic 4k with one of these. One of the great advantages of an SSD is that even if you don't have gobs of RAM, page-ins and page-outs take no time at all.

mattkilla420
Jun 13, 2012, 01:21 AM
There was not wow effect in that commercial, was neither fun or had any "spirit".

The lack of Steve Jobs and his approach is dissolving. I see selling features, not an experience.

i completely disagree, thought it was a great commercial and had 'spirit.' i like it better than their mac air ads they had years ago.

Supa_Fly
Jun 13, 2012, 01:34 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself!!
:apple: Mac is :cool: again!

Haven't seen this much excitement & conversations JUST in the interest of an Apple laptop since the TiBook!

----------

I LOVED the ending!

Apple is beginning to realize all this time their commercials on laptop ads hardly showed ppl using them vs the iOS devices where hands & fingers were all over them! They want their target market to not only see the beauty but to see just how well it remains beautiful in use.

----------

I agree. I was hoping the New Macbook Pro with the tune of $1799 original price. While I love the retina screen, if the price could be reduced by using the older 1680x1050 hi-res display panel; I would choose that instead. It's just difficult to justify the $2200 price tag.

So you don't want to power 4 monitors (2xTB - one daisy to 2 monitors, hdmi)? Oh you wanted the price to be lower with this kind of innovation yet with an LCD compromise. I understand and I too want it to be cheaper but we'll have to wait till revision B spec bump, and when the original Pro lineup becomes an option or maybe rev C.

thleeal
Jun 13, 2012, 01:47 AM

try taking the baseline 15" pro, and adding ram and a 256GB SSD and the high res option,

but i agree £1800 is entirely too expense for a computer.

TheSlush
Jun 13, 2012, 01:52 AM
Love that commercial!

k995
Jun 13, 2012, 01:59 AM
Better then the siri adds who at times seemed to make siri into a companion for the elderly.

----------

So you don't want to power 4 monitors (2xTB - one daisy to 2 monitors, hdmi)?
Who has 4 monitors and TB capable ?

You can count the people who have that now on 1 hand, it also isnt going to increase suddenly. Its something that might be handy for some, but useless for most.

Oh you wanted the price to be lower with this kind of innovation yet with an LCD compromise. I understand and I too want it to be cheaper but we'll have to wait till revision B spec bump, and when the original Pro lineup becomes an option or maybe rev C.

Yes people want more choice, and the apple solution as ever is "pray for the next release"

chatin
Jun 13, 2012, 02:05 AM
Radical because this Mac is a throwaway like the iPad. Bring it back to the corporation when the battery is done for recycling. Don't get too emotionally attached because it is only a machine.

Dangerous Theory
Jun 13, 2012, 02:25 AM

oh yeah, you're so right - they must have completely forgotten to check how it runs! :rolleyes:

considering they mentioned that it will play diablo 3 at native res, I'm sure it does a fine job..

awesomator
Jun 13, 2012, 02:45 AM

hmmmmmmm
not smart

WHo actually needs 32 gb of ram in a laptop. Are people insane. If you are doing projects that require 32 gb of ram you should be doing your project on a desktop powerhouse not a laptop.

----------

A gt 650m is a much more powerful card than most people seem to realize. I mean gaming wise it will definitely be able to run games smoother at higher graphics settings than an xbox 360 and if you are looking for more than that you shouldn't be looking at a mac. Heck you probably shouldn't even me looking at a laptop.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html

faroZ06
Jun 13, 2012, 02:47 AM

What channel do they even show these on? I've actually never seen a Mac ad on real TV before.

Also, I hate to be the critic, but "innovation" is an overused noun.

----------

You mean making all of them retina? Not all people can afford that. Retina displays are very expensive. Have you seen the price of the retina MBP?

ghettochris
Jun 13, 2012, 02:48 AM

best,
SvK

----------

rule number 1.

Rule #1 doesn't apply when your system drive is a 500 MB/s SSD

faroZ06
Jun 13, 2012, 02:54 AM

Could HDMI even support the resolution required for that? Remember that computer monitors have close viewing distance, and 40" is big. I think Thunderbolt would be required for that massive thing.

Also, HDMI sucks anyway. Its HDCP always gets messed up.

----------

Yep, that's the only reason I ever go there: to see the retina displays. Well, for a change, I AM taking my mom's 200 MBP to ask why the @#$% its CPU goes above boiling point when using 90% of the CPU.

----------

MR always makes a post about Apple ads. Hey, people want to see them, and they're rare!

Also, the very name "MacRumors" is an ad.

----------

Rule #1 doesn't apply when your system drive is a 500 MB/s SSD

It still does. If you used a different SSD just for editing, you'd get to take full advantage of the speed. My iMac can't fully handle importing video from an HDV camera and typically has a small lag time if I am only doing that.

steve-p
Jun 13, 2012, 03:07 AM

15" is too small. Give me the 17" and we'll talk. ;)

kalsta
Jun 13, 2012, 03:12 AM
It looks as thin as the MacBook Air...

The dim lighting and black background certainly help. ;)

Great to see Apple spending advertising dollars on the Mac again. Might silence the 'Mac is dead' brigade for a little bit.

macnerd93
Jun 13, 2012, 03:13 AM

I'd say this new MBP is like a Concorde or Buggati Veyron moment. In that both those projects the engineers went crazy and and were told to go wild and express themselves, this macbook pro is that the Concorde moment in computers. Outrageously epic.

haravikk
Jun 13, 2012, 03:18 AM
I'm curious what this will mean for the regular Air and Pro lines; if this new model can steadily go down in price as the hardware gets cheaper, it might indicate that the standard Air and Pro will eventually be discontinued in favour of a single Mac laptop.

Not that that's a bad thing, as the new model seems to combine the best of both (other than price). The problem is that Apple's laptop lineup still doesn't have any kind of decent entry-level model, as the low-end Air isn't exactly cheap.

ghettochris
Jun 13, 2012, 03:20 AM
lol at everyone saying "$2200 is too expensive for a computer"

Have you looked at the price for high end macbook pros over the last 10 years? I have gotten a high end MBP 15" every 3 years, and They usually start at 2500 and get up to 3500 or so maxed out graphics and chip, and do it yourself ram upgrade to keep it under 4k.

This one starts less and is less maxed out than top of the line macbook pros of the past decade.

Also, people will find a way to afford things that are important to them or they really in whatever economy.

I heard $2200 and was like "damn, that's cheap." I'll likely get the $3750 maxed version and be happy for 2-3 years, then sell it for 500-1500, depending on how long I kept it and how much I abused it.

Even going top of the line for 2 years after considering resale, it's only about $100/month. And that's for the maxed version. The $2200 version could be closer to only $50 per month! Upgrading every year might not actually cost you much more since you'll get more resale value. If you can't justify $100 a month on a computer, only $3 per day, computing nirvana just isn't for you. Most people pay that much for cable tv these days lol.

for those people that eat lunch out every day or have starbucks each morning or even smoke cigarettes could have one of these babies if they just ditched a $3 a day bad habit. Most people who have an iphone spend $3/day on the service alone.

Iphone-$3/day
Pimped MBP-$3/day

compared to:

food $10-20/day
rent $10-20/day
car insurance $2/day
car itself (15k car, 10 year life) $4/day+gas!

8 hr day of minimum wage work gets you~$50/day

computing is important to my life, seeing the list above $5-10/day tech budget seems reasonable and lets you play with nice fast toys all the time. Life is too short to waste time waiting for slow computers.

kalsta
Jun 13, 2012, 03:26 AM
lol at everyone saying "$2200 is too expensive for a computer"

Have you looked at the price for high end macbook pros over the last 10 years? I have gotten a high end MBP 15" every 3 years, and They usually start at 2500 and get up to 3500 or so maxed out graphics and chip, and do it yourself ram upgrade to keep it under 4k.

This one starts less and is less maxed out than top of the line macbook pros of the past decade.

Also, people will find a way to afford things that are important to them or they really in whatever economy.

I heard $2200 and was like "damn, that's cheap." …

I'm with you! But I already upgraded in 2011, so I'll have to wait… And yeah, my BTO 2011 MBP cost me close to $3000, for less than this one has off the shelf (if you include a SuperDrive and ethernet adapter).

ghettochris
Jun 13, 2012, 03:37 AM
I'm with you! But I already upgraded in 2011, so I'll have to wait… And yeah, my BTO 2011 MBP cost me close to $3000, for less than this one has off the shelf (if you include a SuperDrive and ethernet adapter).

Yeah, that's rough. Upgrading to the best MBP every year is probably a $2000/year habit. but even that's only $5.50 per day. :p

I last upgraded in fall 2008 so my computer is 3.5 years old and got me more life than usual and past due for an upgrade. I was waiting for something like this :D

lukarak
Jun 13, 2012, 03:45 AM

It is not.

For the $1800 machine you get 512 MB of video memory, 4 GB of RAM, HDD
If you consider that you can buy an aftermarket SSD and RAM (256 GB and 8 GB), that will set you back somewhere in the neighbourhood of $300. So you are already at $2100. If you consider that 1440x900 is not that great, and that you should go for the highres option, you are already at the same pricepoint of $2200 and you don't have an ips screen which you can run in a 1920x1200 mode, you don't have an additional 512 MB of video memory, and you don't have the "thinness".

Ok, you can argue that you need to buy a superdrive, and an ehternet and firewire adapter. That puts some more pressure on the price of the new macbook, but still, not all people will need that.

And the screen has to be worth something.

beowulf70
Jun 13, 2012, 03:46 AM
*ahem* back on topic...
Love the new ad. Love the new MBP. Love that I've one on order too... :rolleyes:
Smug, moi?

RocaWear12
Jun 13, 2012, 03:50 AM
Do anybody think it's worth going to the apple store 3 hours befor the open today just to insure to get one today?

Jamieserg
Jun 13, 2012, 03:54 AM
great advert I was going to buy one of these but the base models only 250gb which for someone who works with video is not enough. But once the flash prices get cheaper and capacity goes up all mac laptops will be like this :)

olowott
Jun 13, 2012, 04:02 AM
:apple: Adverts are just too Cool,

One Focus
One App just be used

*** AWESOME**

unlike some
that will say its 16gb ram, its very thin, hmmm, SSD, HDMI will try to name everything within 30 secs or more.

U see an :apple: AD ................the difference is what makes u wanna own one

ghettochris
Jun 13, 2012, 04:13 AM

I think he hit the spacebar to play his finished movie.

marksman
Jun 13, 2012, 04:26 AM
Understood and I respect your points, but jesus, I mean tv commercials. I think a dedicated "Apple ads" page or subforum would be more appropriate.

If you can't figure out why this story is of interest I don't think you get this site at all. Apple has had some iconic ads and campaigns over the years and their marketing is fundamental to who they are.

If you don't care about the commercials skip the post. To suggest it belongs buried somewhere else because you don't understand is just ignorant.

marksman
Jun 13, 2012, 04:38 AM
There are probably several reasons. Lots of space is needed for the battery so the Airs were out. Also, a dedicated video card was needed so the 13" didn't make sense. Plus, a 13" version would have meant another redesigned form factor and different display resolution. There will probably be a 13" version next year but it won't be appearing in the Airs for a long time. Also, lots of people value cheap, massive HDDs over expensive, fast flash storage.

Storage cost is a big issue. HDDs are way cheaper than blade SSDs. In fact, the retina display is actually priced less that the regular MBP. Upgrade the low end 15" to a 256 SSD and 8GB RAM and it is actually $200 more than the low end retina MBP. Either Apple is selling the retinas at a very good price or they overcharge for upgrades.

The profit margin on the retina MBPs must be fairly low. Apple is probably more interested in creating buzz and adding to their mystique than they are in selling mass quantities of the thing.

Yeah Apple is trailblazing the market. This is the computer of tomorrow. That means it is not the perfect fit for everyone today. When tomorrow comes though apple will be so far ahead in experience that the others will just be chasing them.

People are bummed about 2013 for the desktops but I think apple plans to do something then to reinvigorate the desktop market. Apple has never really been a leader in desktops for a very long time.

They are staking their claim in mobile and laptops and leading the way.

People talking Bout optical drives, Ethernet ports and traditional hard drives will look back five years from now and chuckle.

Many don't realize that apple is taking the lessons learned from creating the modern smartphone and tablet markets and applying them to their desktops and laptops.

Things are too expensive now but Apple wants to go to the future. This is why the desktops are delayed. They would be completely outdated in twelve months. Laptop prices and options will come down, but the fundamentals apple have instilled in the laptop line now will be what all but bargain basement laptops have in five years.

sartios
Jun 13, 2012, 04:55 AM

Not for long.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/28/lg-unveils-84-inch-ultra-definition-4k-tv-its-bringing-to-ces/

Steve121178
Jun 13, 2012, 04:56 AM
I'd buy a 13" version in a heartbeat. I hope they come in the next refresh, whenever that may be.

steve-p
Jun 13, 2012, 04:57 AM
Not for long.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/28/lg-unveils-84-inch-ultra-definition-4k-tv-its-bringing-to-ces/
Wow, older 4:3 material would really suck on that TV :)

vikpt
Jun 13, 2012, 04:58 AM

Agree! I'd also like a thinner 13 in MBP with Retina!

foodog
Jun 13, 2012, 05:03 AM

I hope not it sucks going to the Apple store now because of the crowds.

vikpt
Jun 13, 2012, 05:09 AM
Yes.

It's because this is a product that's meant to set the stage for a transition. Transitioning away from not having optical drives, no ethernet port, thinner profile. And the screen is new so it's expensive.

Apple wants the prices to drop for the screen production, so they can replace their existing lineup, not augment it. Maintaining a product-line that has two symmetric sets of Mac book pros (2 13" models and 2 15" models) is more expensive and in-efficient for Apple's focus and desire for having quickly moving inventory. The more variations you have of a product the more complex and greater the in-efficiencies.

This laptop allows a platform and runway for the software to catchup to retina screens and for ethernet and optical to have time to become even more irrelevant. In about 1-2 years apple will discontinue the thicker MacBooks and replace the line completely with the new thinner model at a better price point.

I really hope you're right! I really want a 13 in. thinner, retina MBP!

wayoutnorth
Jun 13, 2012, 05:13 AM
Not a big fan of the black background (video) :/

ChrisTX
Jun 13, 2012, 05:19 AM

YAY, the Mac is back!!! :D

DeeEss
Jun 13, 2012, 05:22 AM
Great .TV Adverts, yeah yeah yeah. But where the hell are the computers in store?! Stop playing ridiculous marketing games and supply us already!

Konrad
Jun 13, 2012, 05:43 AM
I hope not it sucks going to the Apple store now because of the crowds.

LOL. That's funny. Here in Europe the apple stores are empty. It's summer vacations, nobody cares about a new laptop, people are more interested in ....life.

Rafterman
Jun 13, 2012, 05:45 AM
The Retina Macbook looks pretty freakin' awesome. But since its cheapest version is $2200 and out of the price range for 90 percent of Macbook customers, I hope the "90 percenters" don't get their own regular Mac experience hosed over by Apple and application makers by trying to appease two masters.

For example, I see a report that the Google Chrome browser looks like doodoo with pixel doubling on a Macbook Retina. What I don't want to see is Google try to "fix" its app for Macbook Retina and then turn it into a doodoo experience for regular Mac users.

Normally, that hasn't usually been a problem in the past since we've had resolutions of monitors supported by apps on Macs from 640/480 to large 2500/1600 external monitors with little problems. But since Retina is a whole new DPI game in town, I just don't want Apple and other app developers to ignore the 90 percent to satisfy the other 10.

adildacoolset
Jun 13, 2012, 05:48 AM
15" is too small. Give me the 17" and we'll talk. ;)

[Insert overused "That's what she said" joke]

Michaelgtrusa
Jun 13, 2012, 06:02 AM
Good to see.

Thunderhawks
Jun 13, 2012, 06:08 AM

Business 101.

At this point Retina displays are not available in large scale production yet, same as SSDs.

As ALL manufacturers switch to these displays factories will abandon the older technologies and increase capacities for these displays.

Only then will things get cheaper.

KingKongUser
Jun 13, 2012, 06:21 AM
[Insert overused "That's what she said" joke]

Overused? ha, every second sentence during my day..

DeadeyeM
Jun 13, 2012, 06:23 AM
I "love" these adds when it want to show ho thin it is by not lighting the bottom part of MacBook :)

adder7712
Jun 13, 2012, 06:28 AM
It's awesome laptop but a bit too expensive for my taste.

And hats off to Apple for including an HDMI port! :D

shompa
Jun 13, 2012, 06:30 AM

The retina screen costs Apple about 160 dollars. Ordinary screens costs about 60 dollars.

Apple can charge high price since there is no competition if you want a high resolution display.

And to the people who complain about the price: Remember the original Air? It was also expensive. It takes time to make tooling and parts cheap. Give it some time and we will see retina thru the entire Apple computer lines.

For me: Computers have been fast enough since Core duo. Today CPU performance is not a reason to upgrade your computer. You need a new experience to sell a new computer. The retina display is that feature.

Resolution independence is a huge leap in computers. Probably the biggest leap since 3DFX graphics cards in 1997.

KingKongUser
Jun 13, 2012, 06:31 AM
Some people are of the school of thought that you shouldn't buy revA. My question would be

1. What other RevA MBP's have had issues?
2. When is RevB usually released?
3. Assume it's worth waiting for release of Mountain Lion, so it ships with it?

kiljoy616
Jun 13, 2012, 06:38 AM

Good question, unlike the fangirls I think they are been smart about it. Taking their time to see what is in demand and what no one cares any more to have. Depending on sales of the older model no Retina Apple will kill off those in the coming months if no one really wants them.

----------

LOL. That's funny. Here in Europe the apple stores are empty. It's summer vacations, nobody cares about a new laptop, people are more interested in ....life.

Or they have run out of money from what I have been reading?:rolleyes:

----------

The Retina Macbook looks pretty freakin' awesome. But since its cheapest version is $2200 and out of the price range for 90 percent of Macbook customers, I hope the "90 percenters" don't get their own regular Mac experience hosed over by Apple and application makers by trying to appease two masters.

For example, I see a report that the Google Chrome browser looks like doodoo with pixel doubling on a Macbook Retina. What I don't want to see is Google try to "fix" its app for Macbook Retina and then turn it into a doodoo experience for regular Mac users.

Normally, that hasn't usually been a problem in the past since we've had resolutions of monitors supported by apps on Macs from 640/480 to large 2500/1600 external monitors with little problems. But since Retina is a whole new DPI game in town, I just don't want Apple and other app developers to ignore the 90 percent to satisfy the other 10.

Google looks like doodoo because they are not compliant with Apple OS X. So they will need to update or get compliance. That Googles issue, I use safari so I will not have that issue. Neither will anyone not using Chrome.:D

Mundty
Jun 13, 2012, 06:43 AM

They would have had to increase the price of the whole line in order to do that. The SSD and new Display are too expensive to keep the current pricing model of the regular MacBook Pro lineup.

That said, the retina MacBook Pro likely has a huge markup on it right now, Apple wants to see exactly how much it's customers are willing to shell out for the new shiny MacBook Pro. Give it 6-months to a year, and Apple will hit a wall where they aren't selling many units as they'd like because of the price. At that point, you'll see the price come down. They've done this with the iPhone, iMac, etc.

Remember, they've marketed this as the next generation MacBook Pro which infers that this new design is intended to replace the current models. Since they can't match the price of the current models yet, it's going to be a slow transition.

newdeal
Jun 13, 2012, 06:43 AM
Not many people who are watching that commercial are going to want to blow $2199 on a 15" laptop

seinman
Jun 13, 2012, 06:52 AM
Unless of course the ad is filmed and edited in less then 24 hours, which is doubtful.

If by doubtful, you mean easy and likely. I work in video production so I know how these things go... Apple probably told them "hey, we're going to have updated Macbook Pros, and will be doing a commercial quickly. Be ready to shoot one." Then Apple does the on-screen demo ahead of time. All they have to do is show up with the video of the demo and the laptop, it would take maybe 30 minutes to shoot, 6 or so hours to do the compositing/editing/voiceover/color correction/etc, a few hours to render all the necessary formats, a few hours to transfer to the TV networks for broadcast... I could see this commercial being turned around in 12 hours or so, by a team of 5 people or fewer. Easily.

koolmagicguy
Jun 13, 2012, 07:04 AM
HEY... this is the same music that Ford's been using in their commercials for a while.

Admittedly, this is a much, much better ad. The Ford ones are basically a bunch of talking heads saying "hey, we're pretty sure these cars aren't terrible!"

Anyone know where to get that trees-in-water image they're using as a background?

http://i.imgur.com/SBhrN.jpg

manu chao
Jun 13, 2012, 07:15 AM
In fact, the retina display is actually priced less that the regular MBP. Upgrade the low end 15" to a 256 SSD and 8GB RAM and it is actually $200 more than the low end retina MBP. Either Apple is selling the retinas at a very good price or they overcharge for upgrades.

If you upgrade the RAM and add the SSD from a reputable third-party, the conventional MBP is still $100 cheaper than the retina MBP.

Digital Skunk
Jun 13, 2012, 07:17 AM

I have no idea, but I know that I would've bought a 13" version of this in a heartbeat. Not that the Air isn't suitable, but I'd love to see a more powerful 13" version of the Air with a Retina display.

Not with a 13" at all.

I'm not sure it's related to the number of pixels or if statistically Apple determined it wasn't to their advantage to create a 17" model.

I think Apple is just going to hold off on the 17" like they did when they moved to Intel and again when they moved to the unibody design. The 17" always gave us a port or two more, better cooling, and was just all around a faster machine even compared to it's 15" counterpart.

Apple could do so much with that space and still make it thin. A Retina 17 MBP would be FREAKING AMAZING with 17" of high resolution glory. Users would get the screen size, AND the resolution to boot. Not to mention it would be the lightest 17" on the market still.

I'd pay $2999 starting price for that in a heartbeat.

CausticPuppy
Jun 13, 2012, 07:23 AM

If you configure the base macbook pro (non-retina) to match the standard specs of the retina version (8GB memory, 256GB SSD), it's actually $200 more than the retina version.

So Apple isn't making much money at all on the display. Apple charges ridiculous amounts for memory and SSD upgrades, so it's basically a wash.

ctdonath
Jun 13, 2012, 07:24 AM
why Apple only released one of these models instead up just updating the whole MacBook Pro lineup to this new form factor and retina display?

I'm thinking Apple wants to split each line into new & old models. Customers unwilling to pay a premium for latest tech will have the option of 1 year older hardware. Obvious example: iPad 2 is still around, at $100 off. This better covers the "I just want a ___" vs "shut up and take my money" disparity of customers.

That said, an otherwise equivalent MBP non-retina costs $200 more than a MBP Retina. So I'm confused.

CausticPuppy
Jun 13, 2012, 07:26 AM
If you upgrade the RAM and add the SSD from a reputable third-party, the conventional MBP is still $100 cheaper than the retina MBP.

That's a hell of a display upgrade for only $100.

Thunderhawks
Jun 13, 2012, 07:30 AM
Not many people who are watching that commercial are going to want to blow $2199 on a 15" laptop

Your personal research is flawed. You must be an analyst.

The availability just went from a few days to 2-3 weeks.

LaWally
Jun 13, 2012, 07:31 AM

Don't forget the extra $350 for AppleCare.

LaWally
Jun 13, 2012, 07:44 AM
Yes.

While I agree the product line is in transition, it creates a problem for the knowledgable Mac consumer. What will the final Macbook Pro options be? Will we see a 17" Retina MacBook Pro? A 13"? Something else entirely?

I'm not buying until I know what all my options are. I'm willing to wait, especially if I have to shell out that kind of dough to get one of these.

Digital Skunk
Jun 13, 2012, 07:51 AM
While I agree the product line is in transition, it creates a problem for the knowledgable Mac consumer. What will the final Macbook Pro options be? Will we see a 17" Retina MacBook Pro? A 13"? Something else entirely?

I'm not buying until I know what all my options are. I'm willing to wait, especially if I have to shell out that kind of dough to get one of these.

You hit the nail on the head when it comes to what a lot of user may be feeling. Excited for the new machine but, as Apple has done in the past, will they give us back the features that we actually loved and appreciated?

The Macbook Air's backlit keyboard
FW800 on the initial Macbook Pro
The almost 5 month+ wait for the unibody 17" MBP

I am by no means saying that the RMBP isn't a step in the right direction, again, I am very excited and eager to get my hands on one, but before I put my cash on the table I do want to see if Apple has plans on giving us user upgradeable RAM at the very least . . . . with a 17" RMBP with upgradeable RAM at the most.

Ping Guo
Jun 13, 2012, 08:00 AM
Gorgeous screen, but I wouldn't call the form factor revolutionary. It's just a thinner unibody.

The Mercurian
Jun 13, 2012, 08:01 AM
This ad needs to be watched on an ipad3 to be properly appreciated. I've watched it on both a 2011 "hi"-"res" screen and a retina ipad screen and its simply not comparable.

smiddlehurst
Jun 13, 2012, 08:02 AM

I think I can give you several reasons:

1) Cost. No, not to maximise profit as you're suggesting but this is likely to be a VERY expensive machine to build with pretty much everything right down to the case being new. They probably couldn't bring in a cheaper model without killing their margins.

2) Availability. Presumably Apple are still limited to the number of retina-screens (and for that matter all the other bespoke components) they can churn out. No good making this available at other price points if you can't meet demand.

3) Support. I really think this is the big one. Most applications will need to be redesigned to take advantage of the retina display. By introducing it at the high end you get the display itself out there and start developers moving in the right direction. By the time retina-support is widespread Apple should be in a position to introduce additional retina-equipped models (both laptop and desktop) targeted more at the mass market.

eliamx
Jun 13, 2012, 08:14 AM
I think it's Peter Coyote. Sounds like him. :confused:

Ping Guo
Jun 13, 2012, 08:16 AM

So why are you here? ;)

JHankwitz
Jun 13, 2012, 08:19 AM
Does anyone have any idea as to why Apple only released one of these models instead up just updating the whole MacBook Pro lineup to this new form factor and retina display?

Cost would be the key factor. Why sock consumers for a retina display when it's not needed. It looks nice, but is expensive to make, needs a larger battery, adds unnecessary weight, etc. Consumers are already complaining about cost, size and weight.

It's certainly not needed in most cases because the existing displays are already more than adequate to make the computers very useable.

notabadname
Jun 13, 2012, 08:19 AM
I love it, I want one. Great reviews on it thus far, including USAToday. Of course, many comments on screen, including it's low glare glass. Can't wait to see in person to compare.

iPastor
Jun 13, 2012, 08:24 AM
$2199 price point seems to be a deal-killer for most. However, I didn't hear complaints of $1799 for entry-level 15" MacBook Pro, which has same 2.3GHz processor as Retina MBP, 4GB vs. 8GB, and a platter HD.

Both stock, there is a price difference of $400. If you did a custom order through Apple, upgrading the base 15" MBP to 8GB ($100) and a 256GB SSD ($500), you would be at $2399 for the low-end 15" MBP. If you went third-party for the RAM and SSD, you'd add about $300 to the $1799 price, giving a gap of only $100 between the two for comparable specs.

What do you get for $100?

1. A machine totally redesigned internally.

2. Lighter and slimmer.

3. Incredible Retina Display.

When you step back and analyze briefly how Apple has priced it, and compare to other MacBook Pros in the line-up, it doesn't seem as expensive and unreasonable as many suggest. It comes down to what you need, and if you are willing to pay for that need.

All said and done, I believe the Retina Display MBP to be an incredible first step into a new future for the professional line of notebooks.

Anthony0224
Jun 13, 2012, 08:33 AM
Anyone that says the retina screens aren't a big deal or aren't noticable or anything like that haven't spent any time at all on the new iPad. If you have an iPad 2 and use an iPad 3 for 5 minutes you may not see much of a difference. But once you use and iPad 3 for a while and try to go back to an iPad 2 it looks like you're watching a YouTube video in full screen on 240p. :D

This screen, combined with the flash storage, cooling system, usb 3, 8gb ram, and Ivy Bridge processors are well worth the 2k-3k range. :apple:

Codyak
Jun 13, 2012, 09:01 AM
Anyone that says the retina screens aren't a big deal or aren't noticable or anything like that haven't spent any time at all on the new iPad. If you have an iPad 2 and use an iPad 3 for 5 minutes you may not see much of a difference. But once you use and iPad 3 for a while and try to go back to an iPad 2 it looks like you're watching a YouTube video in full screen on 240p. :D

This screen, combined with the flash storage, cooling system, usb 3, 8gb ram, and Ivy Bridge processors are well worth the 2k-3k range. :apple:

I had the exact same feeling with the 3GS/4S. At first I was like, "Oh, that's kinda cool", but now whenever I look at the 3GS, its unbelievable how much the difference is.

zoetmb
Jun 13, 2012, 09:06 AM

I paid around $2200 for my 15" Mac Pro several years ago (including a HDD upgrade and memory upgrade). So one can argue that $2200 with the retina display is actually an okay deal. If you want a really cheap laptop, go buy a Dell. You'll probably be replacing it every year.

Also, it had looked like Apple was going to give up on the high-end market in pursuit of the masses. The rumors (and apparent reality) of no more 17" laptop as well as the lack of an MacPro update and the disasterous first release of the new Final Cut all led in that direction. So I'm actually glad to see that Apple is releasing something for the high end, which by definition is not going to sell in vast quantities.

Having said that, this business of pursuing "thinness" with disregard to everything else by removing the HDD in favor of SSDs, when SSDs are still priced about four times higher for the same capacity, as well as the removal of the optical drive, which I happen to still want and need, is a mistake, IMO. Sure, I can buy an external SuperDrive, but the point of a laptop is to have everything in the laptop. Last year I upgraded my MacPro 15" with a new 768MB HDD (which also has a small embedded flash drive which I believe it uses as a cache). I think I paid $200 for it. A 768MB SSD is what - a $1000? I think Apple should have provided a choice: they could have offered the traditional MacBook Pro form factor, but with a Retina display.

I'm also not happy with the removal of the Ethernet port because I really don't want to go back to the days when I had to carry dongles everywhere. Many of my clients and potential clients don't let you use their WiFi, but do let you use their Ethernet, although usually with decreased capability. If I had this machine and lost or broke the Thunderbolt to Ethernet dongle, I'd be screwed.

Since my 15" MBP actually still works quite well, I have no reason to upgrade, even though I'm very excited about the Retina display. I think the only reason to upgrade at this point would be only if I got heavy into video editing. But I still think Apple did the right thing but releasing a supposedly state of the art, high-end laptop.

foodog
Jun 13, 2012, 09:36 AM

or it could be the economic climate in Europe.... not that it is much better here.

----------

I paid around $2200 for my 15" Mac Pro several years ago (including a HDD upgrade and memory upgrade). So one can argue that $2200 with the retina display is actually an okay deal. If you want a really cheap laptop, go buy a Dell. You'll probably be replacing it every year.

Also, it had looked like Apple was going to give up on the high-end market in pursuit of the masses. The rumors (and apparent reality) of no more 17" laptop as well as the lack of an MacPro update and the disasterous first release of the new Final Cut all led in that direction. So I'm actually glad to see that Apple is releasing something for the high end, which by definition is not going to sell in vast quantities.

Having said that, this business of pursuing "thinness" with disregard to everything else by removing the HDD in favor of SSDs, when SSDs are still priced about four times higher for the same capacity, as well as the removal of the optical drive, which I happen to still want and need, is a mistake, IMO. Sure, I can buy an external SuperDrive, but the point of a laptop is to have everything in the laptop. Last year I upgraded my MacPro 15" with a new 768MB HDD (which also has a small embedded flash drive which I believe it uses as a cache). I think I paid $200 for it. A 768MB SSD is what - a $1000? I think Apple should have provided a choice: they could have offered the traditional MacBook Pro form factor, but with a Retina display.

I'm also not happy with the removal of the Ethernet port because I really don't want to go back to the days when I had to carry dongles everywhere. Many of my clients and potential clients don't let you use their WiFi, but do let you use their Ethernet, although usually with decreased capability. If I had this machine and lost or broke the Thunderbolt to Ethernet dongle, I'd be screwed.

Since my 15" MBP actually still works quite well, I have no reason to upgrade, even though I'm very excited about the Retina display. I think the only reason to upgrade at this point would be only if I got heavy into video editing. But I still think Apple did the right thing but releasing a supposedly state of the art, high-end laptop.

My guess is the traditional MPB is gone next release cycle.

Alchemis
Jun 13, 2012, 09:36 AM
Completley agree with the above poster. Paid well over 2400 for my current MBP two years ago in November and it was on sale. That included an upgrade to the screen and HDD for 7200 RPM. So I'd argue 2200 is fair in the US. Is 2500 in Australia, but I'd get a discount on that for education so that would make it a tad more bearable.

Apple is one of the cleverest companies in the world in terms of marketing, and unfortunately, even the most educated of us are normally suckers for it. I can see to that this new "Retina" model will likely see the 13" and 15" standard thickness models phased out over a 2 year period as Apple try to move away from any disc based media and to more portable higher-markup machines.

The reality in simple terms is that something that I've heard on numerous occasions. Apple use the same basic ideas in terms of hardware as their competitors, but the styling and software are the difference behind their technologies, as well as the discrete marketing making us all want to own an Apple product.

I look forward to seeing what they come out with next.

waterman
Jun 13, 2012, 09:42 AM

Realize that the RMBP is not a computer for the rest of us. It is a high end user MacBook. It is a replacement for the 17-inch MacBook and for high end users who would use a decked-out 15-inch MacBook.

If my son was just starting his Architecture program (instead of in his last year), I would buy this for him instead of the 17-inch macbook that he got as a freshman and that I replaced at the 2 1/2 year mark of the five year program. It is an appropriate and a great macbook for this type of high end graphics usage.

This is not expensive for this level macbook. It is very expensive if you compare it to a entry level macbook air or the old white plastic macbook

ryckmonster
Jun 13, 2012, 09:50 AM
Wow, that song is amazing...

Here's the stand alone version of the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPP9nMdE_Ks&feature=youtube_gdata

waterman
Jun 13, 2012, 09:51 AM
Gorgeous screen, but I wouldn't call the form factor revolutionary. It's just a thinner unibody.

Watch the keynote or the movie (http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/#macbookpro) about the Retina macbook pro and get an appreciation for the whole package it is NOT just about the display or a thin unibody. What is packed into the RMP is amazing and perhaps revolutionary (we will see).

surma884
Jun 13, 2012, 10:01 AM
Now we'll see the PC market follow. ASUS will come out with a retina screen, they will price it less than Apple. Why can't the PC market lead? Apple added the Retina display on their iPhone and then everyone else follows.

Digital Skunk
Jun 13, 2012, 10:46 AM
Now we'll see the PC market follow. ASUS will come out with a retina screen, they will price it less than Apple. Why can't the PC market lead? Apple added the Retina display on their iPhone and then everyone else follows.

Actually the new RMBP scores just under a few other PC panels (http://www.anandtech.com/show/5998/macbook-pro-retina-display-analysis). While they are spread across different models, the RMBP isn't the first to offer that kind of quality. Resolution, yes, quality no.

Same thing for the quality and resolution in phones. Retina was the answer to the high resolution screens that were coming out in many Android and Windows Mobile devices. Retina beat them out, but then they came back with Super AMOLED and other technologies. The leapfrogging continues.

Konrad
Jun 13, 2012, 11:54 AM
Or they have run out of money from what I have been reading?:rolleyes:[COLOR="#808080"]

I know what you mean. Sort like in CA.

----------

So why are you here? ;)

Because its more fun here in Europe.

----------

or it could be the economic climate in Europe.... not that it is much better here.[COLOR="#808080"]

Economic climate is global now. But the social climate!

mosx
Jun 13, 2012, 11:57 AM
My 2009 Macbook Pro with a Geforce 9400M pushes my 1.2 million pixels just fine. The 650M has 24x the number of shading units, or about 6x as many per pixel. I think it'll handle 5 million pixels just fine. And games can always run below the full resolution of the display anyway. Though frankly I doubt you'll need to.

Not to sound like a jerk, but people need to stop using Apple's means of measuring "power" in hardware. To go above 1080p and get playable frame-rates with high detail settings, you need a VERY powerful GPU. The GT 650m is supposedly around the same level as a GTX 460m, which makes it half as fast as a desktop GTX 460. So a game that runs at 60 frames per second at highest settings at 1080p on a desktop GTX 460 will run at about 30 frames per second on the GT 650M. 1080p is a little over 2 million pixels. If you more than double that, your frame-rate is going to drop from around 30 frames per second at those same settings down to under 15, probably closer to 10 frames per second.

Something people need to learn is that pixel fill-rate is the absolute final word on how well a GPU can run games. It doesn't matter how powerful everything else in the chain of power is if the pixel fill-rate just isn't there. The PS3 is a perfect example of this. Under certain circumstances, it is only capable of pushing half the amount of pixels on screen that the Xbox 360 can. Thats why you see certain games that run at the same resolution and quality dropping to half the frame-rate on the PS3 (like Call of Duty) or other games, like Red Dead Redemption, that run at a significantly higher resolution and with actual MSAA on the Xbox 360.

So, again, that GT 650M just doesn't have the pixel pushing power. A game that runs at 60 frames per second at 1080p on a desktop GTX 460 is only going to run at 10-15 frames per second at native resolution on the new MacBook "Pro". Running at lower than native resolution is just an absolute fail. The only way to get modern games to run at that high of a resolution with high detail settings is to have a desktop GTX 580 or similar.

considering they mentioned that it will play diablo 3 at native res, I'm sure it does a fine job..

Diablo 3? Heh. Let me know when it can run Crysis at highest settings at native resolution running at least 30 frames per second ;)

A gt 650m is a much more powerful card than most people seem to realize. I mean gaming wise it will definitely be able to run games smoother at higher graphics settings than an xbox 360 and if you are looking for more than that you shouldn't be looking at a mac. Heck you probably shouldn't even me looking at a laptop.

Like I said earlier in my post, the GT 650M is around the GTX 460M, which makes it half as fast as a two year old GTX 460 desktop GPU. Which means a game that runs at 60 frames per second at 1080p on that desktop part is only going to run at around 30 frames per second on the GT 650M. Which means running games or anything other than basic UI functions at that resolution will run in the low 10s or even single digit frame-rates. The GT 650M and even the desktop GTX 460 just don't have the pixel fill rate to go above 1080p.

In a real world situation, a GT 650M is about the same as running the Xbox 360 at native 1080p. heh.

Also, HDMI sucks anyway. Its HDCP always gets messed up.

You realize Apple has been using HDCP in their versions of DisplayPort for about 4 years, right? HDCP is a non issue.

840quadra
Jun 13, 2012, 12:00 PM
<snip> Retina was the answer to the high resolution screens that were coming out in many Android and Windows Mobile devices. Retina beat them out, but then they came back with Super AMOLED and other technologies. The leapfrogging continues.

Has color accuracy improved for Super AMOLED displays over the years? I remember having a hard Red hue on many early AMOLED displays I looked at, made me happy the iPad was iPS.

But curious if things have changed overall. I show off a lot of my photography trackside on my iPad, so having something that looks similar to what I will print is important to me.

Digital Skunk
Jun 13, 2012, 12:16 PM
Has color accuracy improved for Super AMOLED displays over the years? I remember having a hard Red hue on many early AMOLED displays I looked at, made me happy the iPad was iPS.

But curious if things have changed overall. I show off a lot of my photography trackside on my iPad, so having something that looks similar to what I will print is important to me.

Much of the debates center around personal preference, with the Retina winning out in PPI.

Rocketman
Jun 13, 2012, 12:24 PM
Sure the ipad may have had a larger margin to play with, but between the larger SSD and the retna display, i suspect apple have a fair bit of margin buffer added into this product.The difficulty of making a high res display goes up non-linearly with size. The fact they can now do it at all is interesting and special, but to do it in mass volume is the problem they are managing with a limited initial release. I suspect when it gets near supply-demand balance, they will then consider the retina iMac.

Apple has been releasing products for the past 5 years or more based on when the components become available not firm annual product launch dates. So when Intel is slow to ramp Core v3 Apple is slow to ramp Macs with them in it.

On the other hand as display production rates ramp and the development and manufacturing capital is recouped, the price will be able to drop. The same is true with the flash memory and new higher speed system memory. So if anything this product has more capacity than most to drop in price over time. Almost the entire cost basis is some form of solid state.

Rocketman

12dylan34
Jun 13, 2012, 12:32 PM

hmmmmmmm
not smart

Real creative work is done on desktops like the Mac Pro (which I believe takes up to 64 GB RAM). It's still nice to be able to bring along a powerful laptop to show a client edits or whatever though. This is as good as a portable pro machine gets is the point.

Epic Xbox Revie
Jun 13, 2012, 12:41 PM
The last time Macs had a brand new design, was the third generation MacBook Air in October 2010. Calm down

Madhawk
Jun 13, 2012, 12:43 PM
Too rich for my blood, but nice ad nonetheless.

glassgriffin
Jun 13, 2012, 01:22 PM
I like how they show the machine doing real pro level work since that is their market.

Don't really care for the voice work though.

Peter Coyote (actor, author and counter-culture activist 60s hippie) has won an Emmy for narration for something or other a while back. He narrates a lot of documentaries and Apple's been using him for quite a while.

Michael Scrip
Jun 13, 2012, 03:07 PM
The retina screen costs Apple about 160 dollars. Ordinary screens costs about 60 dollars.

Apple can charge high price since there is no competition if you want a high resolution display.

And to the people who complain about the price: Remember the original Air? It was also expensive. It takes time to make tooling and parts cheap. Give it some time and we will see retina thru the entire Apple computer lines.

Not with a 13" at all.

Good points. It would be nice if there was at least an option for Retina across all Macbook lines. I guess we have something to look forward to next year :)

Quick question: Would they also need to add a dedicated graphics card to the Air and 13" Macbook Pros?

Or would the Intel 4000 series integrated chips handle Retina resolutions? And handle them well?

alternateroute
Jun 13, 2012, 08:21 PM
The link now points to a private video. Does YouTube block by region or is this happening for everyone?

hokka
Jun 13, 2012, 10:19 PM
The link now points to a private video. Does YouTube block by region or is this happening for everyone?

Here you go son http://youtu.be/U9z3RWmZEjs

nec207
Jun 14, 2012, 03:13 AM

Not sure may be there is engineering problem where the 13 inch is not powerful enough or getting very hot do to it so small. I'm sure a ratina screen is going to make more heat and use more power.

It is highly unlikely by next year the 13 inch will not be ratina screen .

newdeal
Jun 15, 2012, 11:10 PM
Your personal research is flawed. You must be an analyst.

The availability just went from a few days to 2-3 weeks.

Of course that means nothing they could have had very few ready to ship at launch. If they only had 100,000 built the wait could go like that quickly. Its safe to say they didnt have 10 million of them shipping and the wait is that long anyway

winterlocked
Jun 17, 2012, 06:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/SBhrN.jpg

Thanks!