Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Hello. Tomorrow I will getting my PowerMac G5. I bought it because I needed a low cost computer good for storage and in a desktop form factor. Oh, and I needed os x.

Now.. I cannot figure out how to have part of my computer be available as a server, if that is the correct term for what I need. Currently I use Google Play music manager on my MacBook so I can play all of my music without having any locally on my Android phone and tablet. The program is unfortunately not compatible with PPC. I need to be able to have a dedicated music folder on my Mac that I can access from another computer or my phone/tablet for streaming. Is it possible? Keeping the music on my phone and tablet is not an option. There is way to much.

My less important issue is that I need to have part of my hard drive (maybe one folder?) That I can have be visible from my devices and that I can download files to my laptop or tablet while I'm on vacation. I have dropbox but I would rather not pay for the storage if I can simply have it free on my PowerMac.

I hope I gave enough information. Thanks!

Aameiel

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
Cape Coral, FL
dropbox is a cross platform cloud app u can put all your mp's on it and access them from any machine that u have drop box installed on .. and dropbox works on PPC and also on android. hope this helps

rossmosis

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
Unless I'm misinterpreting what you are saying, you can just go to music.google.com to play all the music you have uploaded to Google. I have the max (that was the max when I uploaded most of my music last fall, not sure if it has changed) 20,000 songs uploaded right now and it works flawlessly in TenFourFox. I'm only doing it until I buy a 2+TB hard drive for my G5 though.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Unless I'm misinterpreting what you are saying, you can just go to music.google.com to play all the music you have uploaded to Google. I have the max (that was the max when I uploaded most of my music last fall, not sure if it has changed) 20,000 songs uploaded right now and it works flawlessly in TenFourFox. I'm only doing it until I buy a 2+TB hard drive for my G5 though.

I want to store my music on my powermac so that won't work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.