PDA

View Full Version : Retina MacBook Pro Shipping Estimates Slip to 3-4 Weeks as Initial Shipments Begin

MacRumors
Jun 13, 2012, 08:52 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/13/retina-macbook-pro-shipping-estimates-slip-to-3-4-weeks-as-initial-shipments-begin/)

Shipping estimates for the Retina MacBook Pro continue to slip, with new orders now estimated to ship in 3-4 weeks across Apple's online stores. The slip to 3-4 weeks comes roughly 24 hours after they slipped to 2-3 weeks (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/shipping-estimates-on-new-retina-macbook-pro-slip-to-2-3-weeks/).

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/retina_macbook_pro_3_4_weeks.jpg

But while new orders will take some time to arrive, some of those who were able to order their machines soon after the online store came back up on Monday are beginning to see their orders ship. One MacRumors reader passed along his tracking information showing that FedEx has picked up his shipment in Shanghai as it heads for the United States with an estimated delivery date of June 18.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/retina_macbook_pro_shipping.jpg

Apple retail stores have reportedly begun receiving display models of the new Retina MacBook Pro, but stock remains in flux. Most stores have yet to receive their shipments and are unsure how many and which models they will be receiving. Supplies will undoubtedly be tight in the early days, but should ease as Apple ramps up production and moves its stocks out to the stores for distribution.

Article Link: Retina MacBook Pro Shipping Estimates Slip to 3-4 Weeks as Initial Shipments Begin (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/13/retina-macbook-pro-shipping-estimates-slip-to-3-4-weeks-as-initial-shipments-begin/)

Anki
Jun 13, 2012, 08:54 AM
I expect mine to come in 2013-2014. :(

DrJohnnyN
Jun 13, 2012, 08:54 AM
Can't wait to check it out in person!

Navdakilla
Jun 13, 2012, 08:56 AM
Just flying off the shelves!

I still want 13", hopefully next year

AustinIllini
Jun 13, 2012, 08:57 AM
That's quite a performance for a $2200 piece of machinery. I wish I had that kind of money.

spazzcat
Jun 13, 2012, 09:00 AM
We went to the Apple Store yesterday to check them out and see which model we wanted to get, and they didn't have them out yet!

DrJohnnyN
Jun 13, 2012, 09:02 AM
We went to the Apple Store yesterday to check them out and see which model we wanted to get, and they didn't have them out yet!

I'll go to my local Apple Store this weekend -- hopefully they will have both models avaliable to demo.

gregwyattjr
Jun 13, 2012, 09:03 AM
Can't wait to see all the YouTube unboxing and review videos!

2crazy
Jun 13, 2012, 09:04 AM
When I ordered shipping time was at 5-7 days. The wait is killing me! :)

ChrisTX
Jun 13, 2012, 09:09 AM
Had I not purchased an early 2011 MacBook Pro I would be buying one of these bad boys! :D

Madmats
Jun 13, 2012, 09:10 AM
When I ordered shipping time was at 5-7 days. The wait is killing me! :)

Me too. I hope it ships within 4 days instead. On Friday perhaps? Hehe. Not sure how these estimated shipping times are handled by Apple though.

bushido
Jun 13, 2012, 09:11 AM
Can't wait to see all the YouTube unboxing and review videos!

http://i46.tinypic.com/2ujtxfc.png http://i47.tinypic.com/x0yyy0.png http://i48.tinypic.com/2ih3p.png http://i49.tinypic.com/2dvv9kz.png

no more "macbook pro" logo on the display

daneoni
Jun 13, 2012, 09:12 AM
Ships today my a s s

zoetmb
Jun 13, 2012, 09:14 AM
I really have to wonder whether this drop shipping from China business really makes economic sense for Apple. I bought an Apple Express last year from Apple and I was shocked that it was drop shipped from China. Since they have to be individually packaged, I find it hard to imagine that it wouldn't be more effecient to ship to the U.S. in bulk and then drop ship from here, regardless of whether Apple does it themselves or has FedEx/UPS do it. I wonder how much of the price is shipping cost.

I can understand Apple needing to air freight units to the U.S. at the beginning of a run, when the products are in high demand, but does that make sense when Apple has an ample supply of inventory?

beowulf70
Jun 13, 2012, 09:16 AM
tell me about it!

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 13, 2012, 09:18 AM
I know this kind of story is common with iOS devices, but I can't recall it ever occurring with a Mac... Is it just me, or has Apple just used a trick they learned with ~$600 products and applied it to a ~$2K product?

Kaibelf
Jun 13, 2012, 09:20 AM
I really have to wonder whether this drop shipping from China business really makes economic sense for Apple. I bought an Apple Express last year from Apple and I was shocked that it was drop shipped from China. Since they have to be individually packaged, I find it hard to imagine that it wouldn't be more effecient to ship to the U.S. in bulk and then drop ship from here, regardless of whether Apple does it themselves or has FedEx/UPS do it. I wonder how much of the price is shipping cost.

I can understand Apple needing to air freight units to the U.S. at the beginning of a run, when the products are in high demand, but does that make sense when Apple has an ample supply of inventory?

No offense, but something tells me that Tim Cook, master of global supply chains, clearly has a better idea of what makes economic sense for Apple than anyone on web forums, considering the company's success/margins, largely driven by his work.

Codyak
Jun 13, 2012, 09:20 AM
Mine says 7-10 days, even that seems long...

spazmonaught
Jun 13, 2012, 09:21 AM
I ordered mine at 5:30pm ET after the announcement.

Still processing.

Arrrrh the agony of anticipation. (yes - boohoo life is so hard :))

http://ngmicro.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/beachball.jpg?w=180&h=160

mobi
Jun 13, 2012, 09:22 AM
Unaccounted pent up demand?

MasterHowl
Jun 13, 2012, 09:23 AM
This bad boy really makes my mid-2009 MacBook Pro look ancient :(

CorporateFelon
Jun 13, 2012, 09:25 AM
Ships today my a s s

Today is a relative term.

brueck
Jun 13, 2012, 09:26 AM
Just woke up to the best email ever! My MBPR is delivering on the 18th as well. The original shipping estimate said "delivers by june 21-june 25." Apples inititial shipping estimates seem to be conservative.

Madmats
Jun 13, 2012, 09:28 AM
Just woke up to the best email ever! My MBPR is delivering on the 18th as well. The original shipping estimate said "delivers by june 21-june 25." Apples inititial shipping estimates seem to be conservative.

How many days was it when you ordered? 1-3?

paulsquyres
Jun 13, 2012, 09:29 AM
My shipping status shows delivery for tomorrow, 6-14 at 10:30! Woo Hoo!!!!!
:):):):):):):)

pgre
Jun 13, 2012, 09:30 AM
Basingstoke UK store have one in.. they literally just got it out the box.

I have to say its reallllly nice !
Will be ordering one as soon as they wait time comes down.

I do wish the memory was cheaper though !!
Apple.. come on RAM doesn't cost that much any more and you make plenty of profit on the machine anyway.

JHankwitz
Jun 13, 2012, 09:31 AM
That's quite a performance for a $2200 piece of machinery. I wish I had that kind of money.

My first Apple was an Apple III with 512K of memory and an external Profile 5MB hard drive. I paid over $9,000 for it. New Macs are relatively very powerful and very innexpensive.

AppleGuesser
Jun 13, 2012, 09:34 AM
I initially got the 7-10 business day shipping. But i checked the tracking and its scheduled to come in saturday or monday of this week. Pretty excited! Maybe others are the same way :D

CJJflag
Jun 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
I waited 5 months for this laptop to come out.

There is no denying its amazing, but it still think its just a little too much for what you actually get.

I finally made the decision to grab a refurbed 17" top of the range pro (from the apple store) with a 7200 RPM drive for only £1600.

Really dissapointed to not have the SSD or the retina screen, but I think the one thing you can always guarantee with a mac, is it will stand the test of time and last you a good few years.

Be nice to have picked up a 17 inch before the dissapear for good! (and at a hugely discounted price as well!)

minimac93
Jun 13, 2012, 09:36 AM
I ordered a new MBP w/Retina last night (as in the 12th) when shipping estimates were 3-4 weeks. However, I got an email today saying that the computer has shipped from China and is expected to arrive on the 18th. Strange... at first I thought it was a typo and the Back to School credit was instead shipped, but the email said the MBP, not the credit, and it's shipping from Shanghai as well. So, I guess I got lucky and got priority for some reason. Anywho, I'm certainly not complaining!

Thunderhawks
Jun 13, 2012, 09:37 AM

Yes, they have negotiated rates with FEDEX et al, which nobody else gets because of their sheer volume.

The products are dense (as in not taking a lot of space) and not super heavy, so they can fit a lot into a plane.

Since many of the orders are customized, they don't want to do this in the US. Requires a factory, logistics and the machines are already open and somebody is handling them. Why unpack and touch them again?

Also, because of the high retail price the freight charge on a percentage base is probably under 5% per item. (If even that)

They bulk ship all daily orders, so it's not just one piece of freight coming.

Be assured this is all well thought out and has been calculated to the umpteenths degree.

Not only by Apple, but also by all other companies who do business oversees.

FancySauceRules
Jun 13, 2012, 09:38 AM
Walked into Bridgeport Village store in Oregon yesterday to get a look at it....they had a few for sale but none for display. I got their last one for sale. Never heard of such a thing.

yg17
Jun 13, 2012, 09:39 AM
I ordered a new MBP w/Retina last night (as in the 12th) when shipping estimates were 3-4 weeks. However, I got an email today saying that the computer has shipped from China and is expected to arrive on the 18th. Strange... at first I thought it was a typo and the Back to School credit was instead shipped, but the email said the MBP, not the credit, and it's shipping from Shanghai as well. So, I guess I got lucky and got priority for some reason. Anywho, I'm certainly not complaining!

The hell?

I ordered Monday afternoon and mine still hasn't shipped.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 13, 2012, 09:40 AM
I waited 5 months for this laptop to come out.

There is no denying its amazing, but it still think its just a little too much for what you actually get.

I finally made the decision to grab a refurbed 17" top of the range pro (from the apple store) with a 7200 RPM drive for only £1600.

Really dissapointed to not have the SSD or the retina screen, but I think the one thing you can always guarantee with a mac, is it will stand the test of time and last you a good few years.

Be nice to have picked up a 17 inch before the dissapear for good! (and at a hugely discounted price as well!)

Easy to install one, or if willing to remove optical, even two SSDs. As a bonus w/o the optical your 17" will be about a .4 kg lighter too.

The hell?

Par for course. Apple ships orders out randomly. There is no rhyme or reason except that it will ship out no later than date promised.

CJJflag
Jun 13, 2012, 09:43 AM
Easy to install one, or if willing to remove optical, even two SSDs. As a bonus w/o the optical your 17" will be about a .4 kg lighter too.

Yeah, I read up on that and the two drives was the selling point.

Once I've got a few more pennies in the bank, the SSDs will be going in and the extra ram.

Hell of a machine. Don't think logic pro would have sounded much better with the Retina Screen anyway... :)

dominicdiep
Jun 13, 2012, 09:44 AM
This makes me chuckle evily :p

iceykola
Jun 13, 2012, 09:47 AM
I ordered mine a couple hours after the keynote, and the 768GB flash versions already said 3-5 weeks for shipping. My guess is the 768GB flash modules weren't ready yet, or they only made a few and they already sold out.

macbook123
Jun 13, 2012, 09:49 AM
I was given the exact same tracking information as the guy in the original post, left Shanghai at 7:51 PM June 13. Is there any chance I will get it before or on the weekend (do they do Sat deliveries)? Does this depend on what shipping I chose? Mine currently indicates arrival on June 18.

trevorsheridan
Jun 13, 2012, 09:50 AM
My machine was shipped on the 12th and will be here tomorrow before 10:30am MST!

Winter Charm
Jun 13, 2012, 09:58 AM
I know this kind of story is common with iOS devices, but I can't recall it ever occurring with a Mac... Is it just me, or has Apple just used a trick they learned with ~$600 products and applied it to a ~$2K product?

Tim Cook's reality distortion field? ;)

----------

My first Apple was an Apple III with 512K of memory and an external Profile 5MB hard drive. I paid over $9,000 for it. New Macs are relatively very powerful and very innexpensive.

Its ooovvveeerrrr niiiinnneeee thouuuuuusaaaaannnnnnnddd! :D

CobraPA
Jun 13, 2012, 10:06 AM
That Fedex is amazing... Mine showed 5-7 days when I ordered Mon. I just checked the order and discovered it shipped yesterday from China and they attempted delivery this morning. :eek:

How do they pull off overnight from China? It's amazing.

mrgraff
Jun 13, 2012, 10:13 AM
That Fedex is amazing... Mine showed 5-7 days when I ordered Mon. I just checked the order and discovered it shipped yesterday from China and they attempted delivery this morning. :eek:

Transporter-based shipping.

orthorim
Jun 13, 2012, 10:14 AM
Mine says 7-10 days, even that seems long...

dude, I ordered here in Thailand, shipping is 3-5 weeks :mad::eek:

ronwasserman
Jun 13, 2012, 10:15 AM
I sure hope the 1st gen retina MacBooks work correctly. It would be great if there we're no 'complaint' threads after the release.

Hoping QC standards are higher under Mr. Cooks watch.

David N
Jun 13, 2012, 10:23 AM
When will everyone realize that they always do this...

They say shipping is 2-3 weeks, people get all excited thinking "Oh my gosh, it must be so amazing if that many people are already ordering it! I better get mine before it's too late! *Impulse Buy*"

Next thing you know, it ships two days later and is on your door within a week ;)

It's all marketing folks, I would be very very surprised if anyone actually gets their machine more towards the end of the originally quoted timeline...

sinisterdesign
5 days until new hardware!! stock retina display pro on its way.

spazzcat

There is a lot of people that were waiting for these updates... We been wait since November!

Inv
Jun 13, 2012, 10:29 AM
The hell?

Yeah, what the hell....I ordered mine literaly within five minutes of the online store returning and it still has not shipped. Thats f..in annoying. Stock 2,3/256/8 item with an adittional magsafe and ethernetadaptor.

AustinIllini
Jun 13, 2012, 10:31 AM

Not trying to start an argument, but you paid $9000 for a computer that the average consumer did not have to have. Compared to their current equivalent, Macs are expensive, but, in accordance with my experience, worth every penny.

chrmjenkins
Jun 13, 2012, 10:34 AM

It's on the posterior now. Even more minimalistic and looks great.

funnyfish7
Jun 13, 2012, 11:00 AM
Yeah, what the hell....I ordered mine literaly within five minutes of the online store returning and it still has not shipped. Thats f..in annoying. Stock 2,3/256/8 item with an adittional magsafe and ethernetadaptor.

I ordered my 2.6/512/8 like 2 hours after the stored reopened and it still says June 22 - June 26. I am going to keel over if I don't get this thing next week. After having the iPad new I just can't bear to look at any other screen. :p

I can't wait to get rid of this 17" MBP from 2007! God forbid I try to do photoshop and google chrome at the same time

dkersten
Jun 13, 2012, 11:04 AM
I expect mine to come in 2013-2014. :(

You might as well wait for the new Mac Pro then :p

Habakuk
Jun 13, 2012, 11:07 AM
Confirmed. Must sell good.

After exactly five years of switching to MBP 15" (the first one with LED backlit, matte) I ordered the new RMBP (the lower powered one but with 16 GB RAM) for 2.065,84 EUR + Tax (MWSt. 20 %) = 2.479,01 EUR. :eek: Shipment 3-4 weeks.

Made average experiences with MBP hardware. The optical drive of my mid '07 MBP doesn't play DVDs any more and records nothing. The battery is dead (but still changeable). I bought 3rd party RAM but it accepts only 3 GB. Then I had the logic board replacement because of the well-known Nvidia damage (the repair was free although the device was out of warranty). Made good experiences with Apple service. Otherwise the old MBP still works fine and looks very good.

Made excellent experiences with software and the combo hard- and software. With such confidence I own two iPhones (3, 4) and two iPads (orig., 3rd gen. 64/4G, had iPad 2 and sold it for a very good price) and some more Apple peripherals (Apple TV 2, newest AirPort Extreme…).

I didn't buy Apple care for my first MBP and didn't regret it.

areed
Jun 13, 2012, 11:21 AM
Just got my shipping info/tracking number this morning. Ordered about 10 minutes after the store re-opened.

Originally 5-7 days with an estimate date of Jun 22-26.
Shipping info tells me it went out today and will arrive on the 18th!

MehApple
Jun 13, 2012, 11:35 AM

Good point and that isn't an apples to apples comparison unless you have adjusted for inflation. Pun intended.

brueck
Jun 13, 2012, 11:38 AM
How many days was it when you ordered? 1-3?

No, 5-7 days to ship with 2-3 day shipping.

AppleInMyBlood
Jun 13, 2012, 11:40 AM
Image (http://i46.tinypic.com/2ujtxfc.png) Image (http://i47.tinypic.com/x0yyy0.png) Image (http://i48.tinypic.com/2ih3p.png) Image (http://i49.tinypic.com/2dvv9kz.png)

Stop it! You're making me drool! ;)

parish
Jun 13, 2012, 11:40 AM
Sadly I hesitated placing my order as I need the 512GB SSD which meant I had to buy the 2.6GHz model and was unsure about spending over £2k

By the time I ordered on Tues the shipping had gone out to 2-3 weeks so delivery is expected 4 Jul - 10 Jul :( - but hopefully they can improve on that. My birthday is 2 Jul so it could be a nice birthday present :)

I just find it hard to believe that Apple didn't predict the obviously high demand and have plenty of stock

Anki
Jun 13, 2012, 12:12 PM
You might as well wait for the new Mac Pro then :p

Touché! ;) They're in the same price range so. :o

areed
Jun 13, 2012, 12:36 PM
I just find it hard to believe that Apple didn't predict the obviously high demand and have plenty of stock

I think they did predict well (they've know crazy demand since 2007), and that is emphasized by the fact that the website was snappy even during the mass rush for products.

I think at the demand level for Apple products, you just can't make enough without delaying your launch date for a year (meanwhile not making any money off of orders).

leroypants
Jun 13, 2012, 12:50 PM

Don't forget sales tax and apple care...

rellimie
Jun 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
Ordered mine yesterday afternoon:

2.7/768/16 :)

Yeah, that's right...maxed out. :D

Shipping date....2 to 3 weeks :(

2Turbo
Jun 13, 2012, 12:53 PM
Do you guys think if I don't order right now, it could get even worse and take like 2 months to receive it?

NewbieCanada
Jun 13, 2012, 01:01 PM
Do you guys think if I don't order right now, it could get even worse and take like 2 months to receive it?

I think (no promises) it will stay like this for 2-3 weeks, then start shrinking to reach 2-3 days, then turn to "in stock" in a couple of months.

So I think if you order it in a week you'll get it a week later than if you order it today, but not worse than that.

I just did my regular half-hourly check of my order status page and my stomach flipped when I saw "Processing" turn to "Shipped" :D

And then I saw it was just my student card. :(

So tomorrow I'll have my $100 card, my T-bolt->gigabit adapter and my Magsafe 2 adapter.

URFloorMatt
Jun 13, 2012, 01:05 PM
no more "macbook pro" logo on the displayNow that is very interesting, and certainly supports the speculation that the line will be reorganized in the near future.

My estimated arrival is June 23-26. Mine slipped to 7-10 days before I got the order in. Here's hoping they beat estimates.

killmoms
Jun 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
Mine is also marked as having shipped, same details as the news story poster, target delivery is Monday. FedEx is pretty good about those estimates though, so as much as I'd like it to get here sooner, I'm thinking it's unlikely.

cube
Jun 13, 2012, 01:11 PM

Well, it is not an MBP.

Without Ethernet, it would actually be "macbook über-consumer"

Madmats
Jun 13, 2012, 01:13 PM
No, 5-7 days to ship with 2-3 day shipping.

Oh. For me too. Well, I guess I have to wait a little longer. :)

Maybe it's because I went with 16 GB RAM?

randomnut
Jun 13, 2012, 01:19 PM
Basingstoke UK store have one in.. they literally just got it out the box.

I have to say its reallllly nice !
Will be ordering one as soon as they wait time comes down.

I do wish the memory was cheaper though !!
Apple.. come on RAM doesn't cost that much any more and you make plenty of profit on the machine anyway.

Really? I called them and asked if they had any, and they just said no they do not know when they are getting stock. Even any display models. Maybe they lied to me :(

DeeEss
Jun 13, 2012, 01:25 PM

New Retina Macbook Pro Teleport edition

----------

This is what I fear also. I'm going to hedge my bets and try get one instore.

TJC PE
Jun 13, 2012, 01:26 PM
There is no white lettering on the face of my iPad either. It's a much cleaner look.

Feeling Sir Johnny:
"To create something that is genuinely new, you have to start again."
From the video

DeeEss
Jun 13, 2012, 01:27 PM
Really? I called them and asked if they had any, and they just said no they do not know when they are getting stock. Even any display models. Maybe they lied to me :(

It seems they tell you what ever pops into their mind at the time. The first word that pops into my mind is Useless.

musukosan
Jun 13, 2012, 01:31 PM
There is no white lettering on the face of my iPad either. It's a much cleaner look.

Feeling Sir Johnny:
"To create something that is genuinely new, you have to start again."
From the video

He says that in almost every video! :apple:

macbook123
Jun 13, 2012, 01:31 PM
Crap, mine's been sitting at Fedex Shanghai for two days now. I guess they're only doing this because I didn't pay for the express shipping.

fikonhjul
Jun 13, 2012, 01:45 PM
Ordered one MBP Retina a few hours after the keynote. Choosing 768 GB SSD bumped the shipping estimate to 3-5 weeks, and that hasn't changed yet.

But Apple has already drawn the full amount from my credit card. They only do that when they ship, don't they? At least that's my experience. And it's not a "reservation" as merchants sometimes do, it's a proper transfer, my credit card company says.

Can only mean three things: they messed up and billed me too soon, or I'm wrong about their billing procedure, or the thing is actually about to go (but not showing yet when tracking the order).

areed
Jun 13, 2012, 01:53 PM
Ordered one MBP Retina a few hours after the keynote. Choosing 768 GB SSD bumped the shipping estimate to 3-5 weeks, and that hasn't changed yet.

But Apple has already drawn the full amount from my credit card. They only do that when they ship, don't they? At least that's my experience. And it's not a "reservation" as merchants sometimes do, it's a proper transfer, my credit card company says.

Can only mean three things: they messed up and billed me too soon, or I'm wrong about their billing procedure, or the thing is actually about to go (but not showing yet when tracking the order).

Yep - I wasn't billed until this morning, right before I received the Tracking #.

Has anyone seen the FW to TB adapters yet? I really want one for my audio interface.

Anthony0224
Jun 13, 2012, 02:15 PM
Spoke with my local Apple store (Florida Mall Apple store) and they said they are receiving shipments daily of new macbooks but they aren't told how many of each they are getting. As of today, they've sold out of the retinas.... can't wait to get mine though :D

uaecasher
Jun 13, 2012, 02:16 PM
I've ordered mine yesterday when it was showing 2-3 weeks, i hope i get it sooner...

coldpower27
Jun 13, 2012, 02:16 PM
This bad boy really makes my mid-2009 MacBook Pro look ancient :(

Yeah, i want to upgrade now...not that i absolutely need one. :p

lockerc18
Jun 13, 2012, 02:23 PM
I think they did predict well (they've know crazy demand since 2007), and that is emphasized by the fact that the website was snappy even during the mass rush for products.

I think at the demand level for Apple products, you just can't make enough without delaying your launch date for a year (meanwhile not making any money off of orders).

"I think they did predict well"

No way. Apple dropped the ball with this. Demand might be a little higher than what they predicted, but this kind of stupidity about stretching shipments out like this is just plain bad business.

I was on the fence about getting one. The technology looks fantastic, but the price is ridiculously high compared to the competition. Even so, I might have jumped, but with this delay nonsense, no way now. I just don't like being strung along.

Codyak
Jun 13, 2012, 02:26 PM
dude, I ordered here in Thailand, shipping is 3-5 weeks :mad::eek:

I ordered it pretty fast after the keynote, China to east coast USA does seem like a long way though...

areed
Jun 13, 2012, 03:03 PM
"I think they did predict well"

No way. Apple dropped the ball with this. Demand might be a little higher than what they predicted, but this kind of stupidity about stretching shipments out like this is just plain bad business.

I was on the fence about getting one. The technology looks fantastic, but the price is ridiculously high compared to the competition. Even so, I might have jumped, but with this delay nonsense, no way now. I just don't like being strung along.

lol

Inv
Jun 13, 2012, 03:22 PM
Shipped!

uaecasher
Jun 13, 2012, 03:43 PM
Shipped!

lucky you...

ekovalsky
Jun 13, 2012, 04:06 PM
Ordered mine (2.6Ghz i7-3720, 8Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD) as soon as the Apple Store reopened on Monday, with shipping time of 5-7 days. As of now it is still processing... Hopefully it will ship soon since it seems orders placed after mine are already en route. I paid $15 extra for 2-3 day shipping so once it is dispatched it should get here fairly quick.

Only accessory I ordered was the Magsafe 1>2 adapter, since I have a 27" Apple Cinema Display. It has already shipped and is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I regret not opting for 16Gb, didn't realize when I ordered that the RAM was soldered to the mainboard :mad:

This is replacing a 3-yr old Dell XPS 1640 with RGD-LED 1080p screen. It has been quite a good machine, but the CPU and GPU are showing their age. I tried an Envy 15 earlier this year but sent it back because of the defective (orange instead of red) IPS screen. Glad I didn't keep it, after seeing the RMBP!

Rodimus Prime
Jun 13, 2012, 04:47 PM

Chances are Apple is doing "bulk" shipments from China. Just your item is dropped ship along with others.
Dell for example has like 2 cargo jets that just fly 2 and from china with their drop shipments. The jets are always full. I am willing to bet Apple has at least 1 and chances are a few dedicated planes for large shipments to the US which are then broken up into smaller shipments.

agenda893
Jun 13, 2012, 05:28 PM
I ordered a 2.6GHz model with 16GB Ram and a 512GB SSD within an hour of the store opening back up after the WWDC. The laptop is still showing as processing. The MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter I ordered at the same time shipped and should be here tomorrow, but somehow apple tacked on an extra $15 for expedited shipping of a $9 magnet. :mad:

macbook123
Jun 13, 2012, 05:45 PM
I learned my lesson about which shipping option to choose...I ordered standard shipping within the very minute the store opened up, and as a result had the laptop picked up only late yesterday, and now have had it sitting at Shanghai Fedex for a day without anything happening. I hate when these companies do this artificial and indirect justifying of the higher shipping costs. If my laptop is there, why not put it on the next plane? I guess I would understand it if the plane is filled to the bring with expedited shipping orders. But not sure that's the reason.

Glideslope
Jun 13, 2012, 06:13 PM
macproupdate.APPLE :mad:

coolguy$$$
Jun 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
What are the chances of these estimated times go down significantly within next week?

mavfan11
Jun 14, 2012, 02:49 AM
I learned my lesson about which shipping option to choose...I ordered standard shipping within the very minute the store opened up, and as a result had the laptop picked up only late yesterday, and now have had it sitting at Shanghai Fedex for a day without anything happening. I hate when these companies do this artificial and indirect justifying of the higher shipping costs. If my laptop is there, why not put it on the next plane? I guess I would understand it if the plane is filled to the bring with expedited shipping orders. But not sure that's the reason.
First, it could be that Apple or Fed Ex did indeed dedicate just so much space for their shipments at this time. However, I have ordered through FedEx from China before and something appeared to sit in China forever then received multiple updates simultaneously and was out on a truck for delivery. Either way the earliest orders I've heard of had the "shipping in 5-7 days". What is your estimated date of arrival?

uaecasher
Jun 14, 2012, 03:05 AM
anyone who ordered in 2-3 weeks timeframe, did you get any updates?

kuito
Jun 14, 2012, 03:44 AM
i ordered a 2.7/512/16 soon after the keynote and had 7-whatever days to ship etc..got email confirmation with delivery set for next thursday got shipment tracking number that same night and tracking shows it making it's way to denver this am and delivery by 10:30a..

pretty stoked :)

Uplift
Jun 14, 2012, 08:12 AM
Anyone in the UK had any luck?

Mine said 'we received your order' for a while with 5-7 days shipping.

Today it's updated to 'Processing Dispatched: 3 - 4 Weeks Delivers 13 Jul, 2012 - 19 Jul, 2012" .. if it delivers at the later time on 19th then this is almost 5 weeks.

..which makes me sick, i want it NAOOOWWWW!!!!!:mad:

I've never ordered anything so soon off the Apple store so i've never had to deal with this, do these times usually hold out or will it drop over time?

Speedymagoo
Jun 14, 2012, 08:34 AM
Mine at one stage today said 13th to 19th Jul, now has gone to 2nd to 6th Jul which it was initially when I first ordered it on the 12/06. :S Could be a generous estimate not sure first time buying anything from apple.

I bought the new smart case for the iPad that orginally said it would be arriving on the 25th of June and has since shipped with an estimate arrival of monday the 18th :)

88 King
Jun 14, 2012, 09:23 AM
Anyone in the UK had any luck?

Mine said 'we received your order' for a while with 5-7 days shipping.

Today it's updated to 'Processing Dispatched: 3 - 4 Weeks Delivers 13 Jul, 2012 - 19 Jul, 2012" .. if it delivers at the later time on 19th then this is almost 5 weeks.

..which makes me sick, i want it NAOOOWWWW!!!!!:mad:

I've never ordered anything so soon off the Apple store so i've never had to deal with this, do these times usually hold out or will it drop over time?

Same here, I ordered a baseline and high end new mbp on Tuesday morning with dispatch date between 2 to 3 weeks. I did not receive the order confirmation emails until yesterday afternoon, and now I'm looking at dispatch date between 3 to 4 weeks. adding 1 week shipping date, I'm looking between 12/7 to 19/7 for those mbp to get to me.

However, all my mac online orders have arrive before the estimate date, so there is hope yet.

2crazy
Jun 14, 2012, 10:26 AM
Woohoo! Mine has shipped! ETA Monday 18th, by 10:30 AM :D

uaecasher
Jun 14, 2012, 10:32 AM
Woohoo! Mine has shipped! ETA Monday 18th, by 10:30 AM :D

when did you order it?

2crazy
Jun 14, 2012, 10:35 AM
when did you order it?

About 40 minutes after the keynote ended. It said shipping in 5-7 days, so they are 2 days ahead of schedule. I ordered the base model with 16GB RAM.

Demosthenes X
Jun 14, 2012, 10:38 AM

Yes. Companies don't want to hold inventory, they want to be producing and selling in equal proportions. Holding inventory is expensive, logistically challenging, and presents a huge problem if/when for some reason sales fall.

Getting production in line to reduce the amount of inventory Apple holds was one of Cook's major achievements when he joined Apple. The man is an expert at making supply chains run efficiently.

manuelwenger
Jun 14, 2012, 10:41 AM
Ordered quite soon after the keynote ended, and got my delivery confirmation today :)

Original order said 21st to 25th June delivery,
UPS Tracking now says 19th of June (delivery is to Germany)

Damn i need to shift some meetings to have time to play with that batboy :)

macbook123
Jun 14, 2012, 11:09 AM
Mine is in Japan now, after 2 days of sitting in Shanghai. I live in the US.

Baadshah
Jun 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
I ordered mine today, it says 18 july, thats too long:(

Tbperry
Jun 14, 2012, 12:32 PM
mine is still processing - delivery jun 25-27 - way to far away!!! I check every hour to see if by some chance it has shipped!

leftroom
Jun 14, 2012, 12:53 PM
Ordered mine yesterday :( So. 18-24th July it says. And it's going all the way to Sweden ;)

ekovalsky
Jun 14, 2012, 01:11 PM
Darn these forums! Ordered mine (2.6/512/8) right after the store opened on Monday, it's still "Processing" as of this morning. Ship time was specified at 5-7 days so Apple is well within their promised window, but it's frustrating to see other orders placed after mine already on the truck for delivery :confused:

CigarB
Jun 14, 2012, 02:05 PM
This is good news!:D

About 40 minutes after the keynote ended. It said shipping in 5-7 days, so they are 2 days ahead of schedule. I ordered the base model with 16GB RAM.

AppleDude
Jun 14, 2012, 03:32 PM
I ordered mine today, it says 18 july, thats too long:(

I ordered mine three days before you and have a delivery estimate of July 14-20:confused: I ordered the 2.6 GHz model with 16 MB and the 768 SDD (or whatever the upgraded size was). FYI, I ordered from the USA store for USA delivery.

Baadshah
Jun 14, 2012, 04:00 PM
I ordered mine three days before you and have a delivery estimate of July 14-20:confused: I ordered the 2.6 GHz model with 16 MB and the 768 SDD (or whatever the upgraded size was). FYI, I ordered from the USA store for USA delivery.

I ordered the standard 8 gb ram and 256 ssd, maybe that's the reason mine is coming a bit faster, but I hear from a few people, that they are changing the delivery date after a few days, so let's hope for that :)

CigarB
Jun 14, 2012, 07:05 PM
I am checking hourly as well...Hoping it updates:(

mine is still processing - delivery jun 25-27 - way to far away!!! I check every hour to see if by some chance it has shipped!

twoodcc
Jun 14, 2012, 07:36 PM
i'm surprised to see these sell like this, considering the starting price.

AidenShaw
Jun 14, 2012, 08:39 PM
i'm surprised to see these sell like this, considering the starting price.

...but we have no idea how many are being sold - we only know that Apple didn't stockpile enough before the announcement to prevent early shortages.

The "Cube" was hard to get at first, yet we all know how that launch fizzled....

mdelaney123
Jun 14, 2012, 08:47 PM
Darn these forums! Ordered mine (2.6/512/8) right after the store opened on Monday, it's still "Processing" as of this morning. Ship time was specified at 5-7 days so Apple is well within their promised window, but it's frustrating to see other orders placed after mine already on the truck for delivery :confused:

I ordered the same. 2.6/512/8. I think it might be the something with that config that is delaying it.

orthorim
Jun 14, 2012, 11:44 PM

As much as it sucks for all of us, I am kind of happy US customers don't get special treatment.... :) mine is promised for July 9 - 20.

Does anyone think they'll expedite shipments where the buyer checks the order page every 5 minutes :D :D ???

Ordered a 512GB/2.6/16GB...

And yeah even though it looks like a drop shipment just for you, clearly Apple will have special deals and dedicated planes with FedEx/UPS/etc.

areed
Jun 15, 2012, 09:16 AM
And yeah even though it looks like a drop shipment just for you, clearly Apple will have special deals and dedicated planes with FedEx/UPS/etc.

Yes, yes they do. My delivery date was the 18th (Texas), and it was in Indiana four hours ago. It's now on a truck out for delivery!

I ordered the same. 2.6/512/8. I think it might be the something with that config that is delaying it.

I ordered the same, but I did it about 5 minutes after the store opened up. Original estimate 5-7 days. Maybe after the first batch there was a supply issue with that config, but they left pretty quickly.

samuelabrooks
Jun 15, 2012, 09:26 AM
I ordered my custom Macbook Pro fully upgraded except for the extra drive space a few hours after the keynote ended (luckily:rolleyes: ) but sadly I am leaving on the 27th of June and the estimated delivery is from the 25 to the 29th of this month :(.

My order is still processing and it's estimated completion time till being shipped is 7-10 business days. The mail service is TNT Express from the Sydney Depot to Cairns.

I ordered a USB SuperDrive due to the lack of it in the new macbook which to my suprise arrived the day after.

Can I expect the same speed of delivery for the macbook?

inetd
Jun 15, 2012, 09:47 AM
Ordered at noon Monday, it shipped Wednesday, now it's hung up with FedEx. It's sitting on the ramp at the local airport, about 4 miles from my house. Fedex said they "don't have time to sort the container" until next Monday morning. So it will sit out in the sun, in an ignored container until they feel like delivering it. I even offered to dig through myself for them - nope. "you'll just have to wait another 4 days because we're Fedex" I was told. Apple - you DO know FedEx has lots of competition don't you?

inetd
Jun 15, 2012, 11:42 AM
Update - went over there and got it. Now doing a xfer, says 5 hrs plus to xfer 120g because it's running over 802.11 - no other compatible ports and ethernet missing. So ran old one through ethernet, and new one via wifi and got it down to 2 hrs. Ain't even out of the box yet and already miss ethernet. Adapter not available yet, and also requires driver so I couldn't have used it anyway.

Seems nice, much thinner than I thought. Display is NOT knocking me over yet, but you can tell rez is much higher. Hard to explain, just a lot cleaner looking. Strange new power adapter, incompatible with all others.

No boot usb drive in box like on Airs. In fact nothing in box at all except machine and power. And the usual little book from the lawyers.

Mfg date listed as Apr 2012, so must have been canned. 512gb, 16gb ram, retina.

More later

hantsbay
Jun 15, 2012, 12:03 PM
Ordered the standard MBPR 2.3GHz on Tuesday evening (UK Time).

Dispatch 2-3 weeks, delivery 3rd-9th July. Still processing...

Time to start clearing out and cleaning up my Black Macbook ready for eBay!

parish
Jun 15, 2012, 12:26 PM
Ordered the standard MBPR 2.3GHz on Tuesday evening (UK Time).

Dispatch 2-3 weeks, delivery 3rd-9th July. Still processing...

Time to start clearing out and cleaning up my Black Macbook ready for eBay!

UK here too and I ordered mine the same time as you but mine is slated for delivery 4th-10th July :confused: - maybe there's just one van driving round the whole of the UK delivering new MBPs? :p

----------

SWMBO passed the Apple Store in Bath today. She said to me, "I've seen your new laptop; it's very thin" :D

hantsbay
Jun 15, 2012, 12:30 PM
UK here too and I ordered mine the same as you but mine is slated for delivery 4th-10th July :confused: - maybe there's just one van driving round the whole of the UK delivering new MBPs?

Haha - perhaps I pipped you to the post by a few minutes!

I'd be surprised if I get mine exactly one day before you :p

parish
Jun 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
Adapter not available yet, and also requires driver so I couldn't have used it anyway.

you mean that the TB->Ethernet won't work without a driver? So you can't run Migration Assistant over Ethernet?

If so, then that's seriously dumb on Apple's part. Why isn't the driver part of OS X, or at least per-installed? :confused:

CigarB
Jun 16, 2012, 02:10 PM
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/MrBee718/shipped.jpg

NewbieCanada
Jun 16, 2012, 02:15 PM
Update - went over there and got it. Now doing a xfer, says 5 hrs plus to xfer 120g because it's running over 802.11 - no other compatible ports and ethernet missing. So ran old one through ethernet, and new one via wifi and got it down to 2 hrs. Ain't even out of the box yet and already miss ethernet. Adapter not available yet, and also requires driver so I couldn't have used it anyway.

What do you mean not available yet? Mine arrived on Thursday (ordered Monday)

inetd
Jun 16, 2012, 10:45 PM
You're right - got mine late Friday. Prob I heard was the driver had a big issue, but that's fixed too (v1. 2). Anybody done any speed tests on it yet?

I've got an old usb2 unit i bought with an old Air, and was getting about 150mb from that one if my math/method is correct

fikonhjul
Jun 25, 2012, 10:32 AM
Turns out Apple actually just reserved the amount after all, so there's nothing shipping yet.

The other day, I cancelled additional items ordered at the same time (a MagSafe-to-MagSafe 2 adapter and a Thunderbolt cable). This shaved six days off the shipping estimate, giving me a new expected arrival between July 10 and July 16.

I guess those items might very well be in stock, but at different locations and that means extra time for putting it all together at some shipping hub somewhere. Could be worth a try to anyone who wants their 768 GB SSD Retina as fast as possible.

orthorim
Jun 26, 2012, 09:45 PM
To all those who're waiting, take heard, apparently the new MBP retina will only really be good on Mountain Lion

Anandtech has the review to beat all other reviews, real insight there:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review

Basically pushing all those pixels requires some custom hacks to the gfx hardware, something I wasn't' aware of, and Apple does this with custom code which is slow on OS X Lion. Will only really get fast in 10.8.