PDA

View Full Version : Apple Retail Stores Rolling Out New Retina MacBook Pro Window Displays

MacRumors
Jun 13, 2012, 09:59 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/13/apple-retail-stores-rolling-out-new-retina-macbook-pro-window-displays/)

As noted by 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/13/giant-retina-macbook-pro-window-display-goes-up-at-apple-store/), Apple's retail stores have begun installing new window displays showing off the new Retina MacBook Pro mounted on a pedestal with a massive model of the machine as a background.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/retina_macbook_pro_window_display.jpg

As we reported earlier today (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/13/retina-macbook-pro-shipping-estimates-slip-to-3-4-weeks-as-initial-shipments-begin/), Apple retail stores have been receiving display models of the new Retina MacBook Pro, but shipments of stock are just starting to trickle in. Those looking for a stock model may be interested in stalking their local stores to try to obtain one, as new online orders are currently seeing shipping estimates of 3-4 weeks.

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores Rolling Out New Retina MacBook Pro Window Displays (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/13/apple-retail-stores-rolling-out-new-retina-macbook-pro-window-displays/)

mKizzo
Jun 13, 2012, 10:00 AM
probably an accurate representation of the glare on this screen :p

JS77
Jun 13, 2012, 10:02 AM
For those who were upset that Apple dropped the 17"...

:p

Bubba Satori
Nice mirror.

Looking forward to the models with the 90% glare reduction. :p

SSDGUY
For a split second I didn't notice it was behind a store window. Just about freaked by by all that glare. ;) Has anyone seen the real deal yet? How do they compare with a matte screen?

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 13, 2012, 10:04 AM
I want to go see one!!!

Dades
Jun 13, 2012, 10:05 AM
Man, I want that 2,500" retina display behind it.

ThunderSkunk
I'm still not sure what to think about them replacing the 17" MBP workhorse with a non-upgradable high-res 15" Macbook Air. Skinny is neat, but not really the #1 priority of the "pro" set.

iamdavekennedy
If anyone is interested, both Regent Street and Covent Garden stores in London still have stock of the Retina model, just been in there and was about to buy one but left with a 13" and 21.5" iMac instead after deciding that I value removeable/replaceable storage and RAM much more!

I may come to regret it but my new home office set up is making me grin so far!

AppleGuesser
So ready for this Macbook to arrive at my house. Should be very soon :D

Sylon
Not gonna lie, that would make for a pretty sweet game room decoration, lol. Make it a white screen and shine an HD projector on it, that would look pretty awesome!

Unless thats an actual moving screen, then even better!

b11051973
Jun 13, 2012, 10:07 AM
I played around with one at the Mall of American Apple Store yesterday. Looked pretty good.

jamesryanbell
Jun 13, 2012, 10:07 AM
I want the massive macbook to be the HD TV in my game room.

gjwfoasfsaevg
Jun 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
The display looks really stupid, at least on the photos.

iReality85
Jun 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
I like the window display. What you don't see: the large scale mock up behind it also has a retina display... they sneaked in an Apple 4K TV as the 'screen' ;)

Rudy69
Jun 13, 2012, 10:11 AM
I canceled my online order that I had ordered when the window was 7-10 days. I'll take my chances that the local Apple store will have stock before then (it said I should receive it by July :eek:)

Tea-Aholic
Jun 13, 2012, 10:13 AM
Where can I get that Zebra wallpaper?

adildacoolset
Jun 13, 2012, 10:14 AM
what on earth can the resolution be with that gigantic model for it to be retina?? :p

mrmarts
Jun 13, 2012, 10:14 AM
I want the massive macbook to be the HD TV in my game room.

If apple gets into the tv market I will throw away my crappy lg led tv for a 4k retina display, who knows maybe the next iMac will be 4k but i would hate to see the cost.

Chumburro2U
Jun 13, 2012, 10:15 AM
Where can I get that Zebra wallpaper?

Hopefully it will be one of the stock wallpapers. :apple:

MOKHAN
Jun 13, 2012, 10:19 AM
Haha, aw, the little one is so cute!

chrmjenkins
Jun 13, 2012, 10:30 AM
For a split second I didn't notice it was behind a store window. Just about freaked by by all that glare. ;) Has anyone seen the real deal yet? How do they compare with a matte screen?

I believe it was anandtech who said it was pretty close to last-gen matte displays on the MBP.

Ryan Frank
Jun 13, 2012, 10:31 AM
Totally Ordering one for High School this thing is amazing.

justperry
Jun 13, 2012, 10:31 AM
All very nice,

until you find out it got a 1 on a scale of 10 repairability on ifixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/1):eek:

Even the battery is glued to the body.

"Old" MacbookPro is still better minus the retina screen.

OtherJesus
Jun 13, 2012, 10:34 AM
They are stunning in person. For anyone doing video, photo or graphics, it may be a religious experience for them. As for the glare, it's night and day compared to the MBP. For those of us doing serious work, you're gonna be blown away.

Bubba Satori
Jun 13, 2012, 10:35 AM
I believe it was anandtech who said it was pretty close to last-gen matte displays on the MBP.

If they can do that, it might be my next computer.
A 680M would be nice, though. :D

Ryth
Jun 13, 2012, 10:37 AM
Already went into mine this morning when they opened and messed around with one.

The MBP R-Type is AMAZING. Everything on the screen looks so sharp and images/video just pops.

For those talking about glare, you have no clue what you are talking about. Go inside and see one in person. Then come back and comment.

Bubba Satori
Jun 13, 2012, 10:40 AM
Already went into mine this morning when they opened and messed around with one.

The MBP R-Type is AMAZING. Everything on the screen looks so sharp and images/video just pops.

For those talking about glare, you have no clue what you are talking about. Go inside and see one in person. Then come back and comment.

Calm down, we're just joking. Miss the SOT smilies?

Did you rotate the the screen around at different angles to the lighting?
Were you able to compare glare to non-retina models?

Imhotep397
Jun 13, 2012, 10:41 AM
I would have liked to have seen the 17" upgraded rather that the giant fake window display unit.

charlituna
Jun 13, 2012, 10:43 AM
I'm still not sure what to think about them replacing the 17" MBP workhorse with a non-upgradable high-res 15" Macbook Air. Skinny is neat, but not really the #1 priority of the "pro" set.

How many folks in the pro set did you talk to before stating that 'fact'. Because you might find, if you did actually talk to a vast majority and variety of pros that they are fine with not being about to rip it apart themselves.b

Ryth
Jun 13, 2012, 10:45 AM
Calm down, we're just joking. Miss the SOT smilies?

Did you rotate the the screen around at different angles to the lighting?
Were you able to compare glare to non-retina models?

Yah I moved the screen around and my store has giant windows in the front. The glare is minimal at that.

You couldn't compare side by side because they are obviously locked down and the Retinas have their own table right as you walk in. But you can compare quality to an older screen...it's pretty obvious in the contrast/black levels/saturation.

Like the one poster above said, it's really eye opening when you see it. I suggest everyone head over to their stores and take a peek.

:)

leesmith2
Jun 13, 2012, 10:45 AM
All very nice,

until you find out it got a 1 on a scale of 10 repairability on ifixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/1):eek:

So what you're suggesting is that if I buy AppleCare, they won't be able to repair it, they'll have to give me a new one? ;)

charlituna
Jun 13, 2012, 10:47 AM
All very nice,

until you find out it got a 1 on a scale of 10 repairability on ifixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/1).

a huge part of their business is making guides for folks to do their own repairs and upgrades. Of course they are going to downrank this machine. All because they can't screw with it all they want

----------

So what you're suggesting is that if I buy AppleCare, they won't be able to repair it, they'll have to give me a new one? ;)

They can remove the board, battery etc.

Ryth
Jun 13, 2012, 10:49 AM
All very nice,

Who cares? Do you repair your TV, Refrigerator, Washer and Dryer, etc when they have issues?

If people want superior products and new designs, then certain things will have to be sacrificed. Components that you can just swap and remove and repair yourselves is one of them.

lloyddean
Jun 13, 2012, 10:50 AM
The origin of "Apple TV" rumors

PeopleTheseDays
Jun 13, 2012, 10:50 AM
a huge part of their business is making guides for folks to do their own repairs and upgrades. Of course they are going to downrank this machine. All because they can't screw with it all they want

----------

They can remove the board, battery etc.

I don't think you understand what the repairability score is. "Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)."

MattUK
Jun 13, 2012, 10:51 AM
If anyone is interested, both Regent Street and Covent Garden stores in London still have stock of the Retina model, just been in there and was about to buy one but left with a 13" and 21.5" iMac instead after deciding that I value removeable/replaceable storage and RAM much more!

Do they offer a discount for that new retina 15.4" mac book pro ???
please say YES !:D

NewbieCanada
Jun 13, 2012, 10:51 AM

If a 17" workhorse was their priority, maybe they should have, you know, actually BOUGHT SOME.

The only reason it was discontinued is that the bloody thing didn't sell. Let's stop pretending it did, 'kay?

Radio
Jun 13, 2012, 11:00 AM
Must be nice

U guys feel in a year the prices will come down?

RichBoi99
Jun 13, 2012, 11:05 AM
did anyone ever think about the scared zebras on the wallpaper trying to get away from the helicopter thats touring over them, bet you never thought about that:apple:;):D

chrmjenkins
Jun 13, 2012, 11:06 AM
If they can do that, it might be my next computer.
A 680M would be nice, though. :D

What it takes to cool a 100W GPU.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/E/B/279155/original/malibal_p150hm_bottom.jpg

Bubba Satori
Jun 13, 2012, 11:07 AM
Yah I moved the screen around and my store has giant windows in the front. The glare is minimal at that.

You couldn't compare side by side because they are obviously locked down and the Retinas have their own table right as you walk in. But you can compare quality to an older screen...it's pretty obvious in the contrast/black levels/saturation.

Like the one poster above said, it's really eye opening when you see it. I suggest everyone head over to their stores and take a peek.

:)

Thanks for the feedback.
So you and Anand seem to agree that the glare is greatly reduced.
I'll pop into the store Friday and check it out 'cause I know everybody will be waiting on my opinion. :D

----------

What it takes to cool a 100W GPU.

Image (http://media.bestofmicro.com/E/B/279155/original/malibal_p150hm_bottom.jpg)

Cool. It's nice to know it can be done.
It's a toss up between the MBP-R and the Clevo for me.
I posted somewhere else that I wish Apple would buy Clevo
and offer an OSX line of very high performance laptops for folks
who don't need light and skinny at the expense of maximum performance.
I wonder if anybody has hackintoshed a recent Clevo?
Going to have to look into that.

pgiguere1
Jun 13, 2012, 11:08 AM

I was agreeing with you until you called it a MacBook Air. Sure it's not upgradeable, but it's not like they made sacrifices on performance. It would have deserved that nickname if they had used integrated graphics and a dual-core CPU (basically 13" MBP internals in a bigger slimmer shell), but that's not what happened. Lack of upgradability sucks but it's not like the Retina Display is useless for multimedia professionals.

If you accept that you won't ever be able to upgrade it, right now it's a more appropriate machine than the old MBP for a lot of multimedia professionals. Not everyone burns/reads DVDs on the go, but everybody can enjoy the extra picture detail and color accuracy while editing videos / photos.

justperry
Jun 13, 2012, 11:08 AM

There is an idea.:)

Who cares? Do you repair your TV, Refrigerator, Washer and Dryer, etc when they have issues?

If people want superior products and new designs, then certain things will have to be sacrificed. Components that you can just swap and remove and repair yourselves is one of them.

Actually I do repair many things myself, I am an allround Electrical and electronics maintenance engineer.

Relax, I think it's a very nice machine but if I have the choice I will buy the normal MacbookPro, easy to upgrade RAM and replace (ODD) disk with SSD and replace battery if needed.

Ryth
Jun 13, 2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the feedback.
So you and Anand seem to agree that the glare is greatly reduced.
I'll pop into the store Friday and check it out 'cause I know everybody will be waiting on my opinion. :D

----------

Cool. It's nice to know it can be done.

if I have time, I'll see if I can go back over and get some shots of the screen if they'll let me

Ubuntu
Jun 13, 2012, 11:13 AM

I'd have been so tempted to get the 27 inch, instead, but that's a nice set up.

JayLenochiniMac
Jun 13, 2012, 11:15 AM
They wanted to make absolutely sure nobody walks through the glass.

Ryth
Jun 13, 2012, 11:15 AM

The iMac will be getting an update to at least Ivy Bridge/and or a whole refresh soon...hold out!

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 13, 2012, 11:19 AM

Ah high school... The time when school was free and my money went to buying new toys.

Entering college with four year old computers kind of sucks... I don't think I'll be out of debt and able to upgrade until when I finish school... By then my set up will be eight years old! I wonder when the new versions of Mac OS will stop supporting my original MBA or original Al iMac...

Scarpad
Jun 13, 2012, 11:20 AM

Maybe I'm crazy but should'nt a laptop be usable outside? This looks about as usable as my Ipad in Direct Light, meaning Not at all.

h1r0ll3r
Jun 13, 2012, 11:22 AM
I....WANT....that....display unit.....:p

G5isAlive
Jun 13, 2012, 11:28 AM

Had the chance to play with them this morning at the Apple Store... matte is matte...yes the glare is considerably less in the retna then recent models, but retna's are still glossy (that makes sense yes?) so they don't look like mattes (or johns.. sorry bad joke). Point is, less glare yes. Definitely.

pgiguere1
Jun 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
Maybe I'm crazy but should'nt a laptop be usable outside? This looks about as usable as my Ipad in Direct Light, meaning Not at all.

"This" referring to what? The image on the article shows no glare on the actual MBP and the glare over the giant fake MBP is clearly from the Apple store's glass window, not from the screen itself. They probably just put a regular HDTV in there and TVs usually don't have glass covering them.

G5isAlive
Jun 13, 2012, 11:35 AM

How many laptops have e-ink (the technology that works great in e-readers outside)? Or work well in direct sunlight?

Pretty close to zippo. nil. nadda. which might not make you crazy but ...

The point is what renders LCD's not terribly effective in direct sunlight is not just glare but backlighting.

jonnysods
Jun 13, 2012, 11:40 AM
Dang no apple stores near me!

MehApple
Jun 13, 2012, 11:41 AM

Apple is going to be selling more cinematic displays to "pros." 2 side by side thunderbolt ports! I still want one.

Lagmonster
Jun 13, 2012, 11:43 AM
I just got back from playing with the new MBP. I was surprised - the glare was not even close to what I thought it would be. Worth checking out at your Apple store. But be warned, you will want one!

paradox00
Jun 13, 2012, 11:44 AM

Are you referring to the glare from the store glass in front of the giant, person sized Macbook Pro display?

MehApple
Jun 13, 2012, 11:45 AM

They are fitting a ton of hardware/components into a small space. Increased portability and performance come at the expense of easy modification and do it yourself upgrades. The majority of buyers probably don't care about the tradeoff.

FakeWozniak
Jun 13, 2012, 11:59 AM
Wow, look at that tiny MacBook Pro in the middle of the picture next to the larger 13" that fills the screen. That has to be like a MacBook Pro 2" model. It'd fit in my pocket for sure.

theOtherGeoff
Jun 13, 2012, 12:00 PM

Especially when the Mac Pro is being given 'Wait until next year' sort of treatment. as much as I trust Tim Cook, I grok corporate speak, and that means, "with what we know today, upgrading the Mac Pro at this time doesn't maximize the bottom line." To which I say... "If not now, when?"

The 17" was the 'portable Mac Pro.' Now you don't have a Portable version, nor do you have a future compliant top end desktop (thunderbolt, USB3.0, 1600MHz memory, Nvidia as base product, PCI 3.0).

Since I've 'devolved' from a power user to a normal user (alas... I'm management now... I just need lots of VMs... but horsepower is secondary to stability), but I like 'big iron' (I'm old... humor me), so without modern flagship, you end up starting to look like a 2nd rate fleet.

JayLenochiniMac
Jun 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
The 17" was the 'portable Mac Pro.' Now you don't have a Portable version, .......

So it's no longer portable because it's 15" instead of 17"?

cowtownapple
Jun 13, 2012, 12:10 PM
Well, I 'pre-ordered' on Amazon (using Prime) to save tax and burn up some Amex points (total of $750 saved on the base retina unit)...that's the good news.

Bad news is I have no idea as to when I can expect my nice, white box to arrive. I assume that Apple will not ship to 3rd party resellers (amazon, Best Buy) until this initial batch is sold out (which it obviously is), and even at that point there's no telling where I stand in the pecking-order on Amazon shipments.

Long question short: is there a history of long (3-4 week) shipping estimates changing/being updated to shorter intervals. Or in other words, is Apple known to give the 'worst case' date and then modify as supplies become more certain?

I am typically a 'custom-order a MBP mid-cycle/wait in line for an iPhone/iPad' type of guy, and not accustomed to their shipping methodology.

Jiten
Jun 13, 2012, 12:10 PM

Unless you parents are paying for your education it's probably wiser to save your money for collage.

MTShipp
Jun 13, 2012, 12:11 PM
If a 17" workhorse was their priority, maybe they should have, you know, actually BOUGHT SOME.

The only reason it was discontinued is that the bloody thing didn't sell. Let's stop pretending it did, 'kay?

I can take partial blame for that. I have been saving up for a year to get "the new MBP" and wanted the 17". To my chagrin, now that the 17" is gone and the 15" MBP-R is out, that is what I sepnt my money on. So by holding out for a new 17", I ended up getting the 15".

theOtherGeoff
Jun 13, 2012, 12:11 PM

I agree to this to some extent... but this is the Fleet Flagship (at the moment, since the Mac Pro Motherboard wasn't upgraded to support the latest greatest stuff, eg PCI 3.0, thunderbolt, USB3.0), one would argue that general futureproofing for the 'fleet leader' is a good thing.

However, I think we are starting to sense that 'professional' people are treating laptops like cars... 'lease them' for 2 years, then upgrade in whole. who modifies a BMW with aftermarket parts? puts a new Engine in? New Transmission? larger gas tank?

The 'hacker' laptop owner... well, if you're a true hacker... time to get the solvents and the soldering irons out;-)

MTShipp
Jun 13, 2012, 12:14 PM
Long question short: is there a history of long (3-4 week) shipping estimates changing/being updated to shorter intervals. Or in other words, is Apple known to give the 'worst case' date and then modify as supplies become more certain?

There are folks already seeing that their ship dates are days earlier than initially listed on their order. Mine still shows July 2-9 and am hoping my ships early. I upgraded to the 768GB so my ship date jumped 2 weeks from that alone.

JGIGS
Jun 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
MBPR Sounds very promising. I'm definitely not a power user but I like owning quality products and when it comes to my MBP's I hold on to them for a long time so I don't mind paying the premium. I'm not too concerned about upgradability as the minimum specs are more then enough for me to use the web browsing, email, MS office, Music/movies and airplay and the latest OS for a very long time.

Battery replacement is a bit more of a concern but by the sound of it the new unibody batteries seem to last a lot longer then the current removeable battery in my early 2008 pre unibody mbp.

Trying to decide if I want to make the move now or wait another year as mountain lion will still work on my 08 MBP.

Either way I would suggest most people wait to buy any mac till they ship with Mountain Lion pre installed. Ya its easy to upgrade but its always nice to have a clean installed OS.

theOtherGeoff
Jun 13, 2012, 12:17 PM
I can take partial blame for that. I have been saving up for a year to get "the new MBP" and wanted the 17". To my chagrin, now that the 17" is gone and the 15" MBP-R is out, that is what I sepnt my money on. So by holding out for a new 17", I ended up getting the 15".

funny... I see 62 online stores selling the 17" new. It's not like they are dropping support for the darn thing tomorrow. If you need 17", then get 17"

If you need "badassest Mac Laptop" then you're misreading your original requirements, as 'want' != 'need'

Peter Lorre
Jun 13, 2012, 12:18 PM
Custom MBP-R with 16 gb ram and 512 gb hd and a 2.7 cpu. Ordered it about 1:15pm on launch day!

Was given an estimate of the 21st - the 25th! Thats eight days earlier then I was lamenting waiting and BEFORE I could have picked up a stocked model in my area!

So pumped. Transferring from my 2007 17" MBP now. Waited a long time for this and wish there was a 17" version but I am very happy with this forma factor!

Chupa Chupa
Jun 13, 2012, 12:22 PM

I am typically a 'custom-order a MBP mid-cycle/wait in line for an iPhone/iPad' type of guy, and not accustomed to their shipping methodology.

Generally, yes Apple gives the most pessimistic shipping time so people are thrilled if it ships "early." Two big factors here: 1) availability of Retina displays and 2) how fast the production line is ramping up since this is an all-new machine.

Also the 3-4 weeks is for CTO, not retail. I would imagine Apple has a separate production line and allocation system for 3rd party resellers and distributors. They'll probably be getting stock sooner than 3-4 weeks.

Eidorian
Jun 13, 2012, 12:24 PM
Unless you parents are paying for your education it's probably wiser to save your money for collage.Even so, cut your parents a break.

Battlefield Fan
Jun 13, 2012, 12:27 PM

Or a refurbished one...

iRobby
Jun 13, 2012, 12:29 PM
"This" referring to what? The image on the article shows no glare on the actual MBP and the glare over the giant fake MBP is clearly from the Apple store's glass window, not from the screen itself. They probably just put a regular HDTV in there and TVs usually don't have glass covering them.

These displays are cardboard behind the store window the only glare is the store window no HDTV

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/retina-mac-apple-store-signage-1.jpg?w=700&h=

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/retina-macbook-window-display.png?w=700&h=

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/retina-macbook-pro-window-display-2.png?w=700&h=

cowtownapple
Jun 13, 2012, 12:32 PM
Also the 3-4 weeks is for CTO, not retail. I would imagine Apple has a separate production line and allocation system for 3rd party resellers and distributors. They'll probably be getting stock sooner than 3-4 weeks.

That's what I'm hoping for. I'm going to be stoked whenever this thing arrives, but the sooner the better. My 2006 MBP is beyond being on its last leg...missing keys and heats up to Weber Grill-tempuratures causing pinwheel for hours on end. Omission of Super Drive didn't even cross my mind, as my drive ceased to work in '09.

faroZ06
Jun 13, 2012, 12:35 PM
You should be able to use a MBPR's display with another computer. This thing put's my iMac's screen to shame.

Ryth
Jun 13, 2012, 12:38 PM

Well..answer this?

How many people 'work' outside...meaning work on a desktop like job?

Do those industries that work outside use computers outside as their main source of income? Meaning they are billing for doing work on the computer (like graphic design, video editing, accounting, etc)...not as an accessory to their main business like being a road worker, construction worker, etc and needing to bring up plans every now and then. Outside workers usually are doing outside stuff...repairing things, building things, landscaping things and so on.

So the answer is a resounding 'No'. A laptop shouldn't need to be usable outside.

Now mind you, a laptop IS usable outside almost 90% of the time minus rain and extreme heat and cold.

A laptop isn't made for 'outside' use as it's primary function. It's made to be portable so you can take your main machine with you to different places of work, rooms, buildings, offices etc.

----------

These displays are cardboard behind the store window the only glare is the store window no HDTV

Image (http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/retina-mac-apple-store-signage-1.jpg?w=700&h=)

Image (http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/retina-macbook-window-display.png?w=700&h=)

Image (http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/retina-macbook-pro-window-display-2.png?w=700&h=)

I think the actually large display has a reflective surface on it.

NewbieCanada
Jun 13, 2012, 12:40 PM

So you killed the 17, not Tim Cook! Brave admission. ;)

iRobby
Jun 13, 2012, 12:44 PM
I can take partial blame for that. I have been saving up for a year to get "the new MBP" and wanted the 17". To my chagrin, now that the 17" is gone and the 15" MBP-R is out, that is what I sepnt my money on. So holding out for a new 17", I ended up getting the 15".

According to MacWorld in a Q/A article on the Retina MacBook Pro the screen space can be adjusted to the screen space of a 17" MacBook Pro

From MacWorld:

Answers to your Retina MacBook Pro questions
Macworld senior editor Roman Loyola spent some time with t...

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167249/answers_to_your_retina_macbook_pro_questions.html

From @sheppy: Does the More Space option in Displays give you itty bitty UI elements? I’m cool with that if it means more stuff on the screen.

MacWorld: The More Space option does makes UI elements smaller. In my opinion, they aren’t too small—as I’ve mentioned, my daily computer is a 17-inch MacBook Pro, running at 1920-by-1200. Apple says the More Space setting in the Displays system preference for the Retina MacBook Pro, “Looks like 1920 x 1200” and it certainly feels like it.

theOtherGeoff
Jun 13, 2012, 12:46 PM
Battery replacement is a bit more of a concern but by the sound of it the new unibody batteries seem to last a lot longer then the current removeable battery in my early 2008 pre unibody mbp.

The beauty of non field replaceable parts. replaceable units require protective casing, fastening hard points, and uniform structure. Nonreplaceable batteries can be built to conform to and use the structure of the unibody case, increasing net volume to actually be ... battery.

And this the strength of Apple... design for the 'lifecycle' cost of the device vs functional needs, not for the unit price of the components and 'enjoy the functional imbalances' (bottlenecks, limitations, bumpy user experience).

JacobMarley
Jun 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
I wonder if 13 macbook pro with retina display will ever have retina display

einmusiker
Jun 13, 2012, 12:52 PM
what a gimmick

iamdavekennedy
Jun 13, 2012, 12:59 PM

I really don't need it, rooms aren't exactly 'big' in London but I'm lucky enough to have a big room by standards down here, I'd have loved a 23, housemate has one of the old models and it's perfect but this is more than suiting to my needs with deskspace vs distance at the moment!

Knocking it up to an SSD for the system/programs and 1TB storage and sticking 32GB in it should ensure it lasts as a bit of a workhorse for the home office (half the bedroom) for the meantime!

----------

Do they offer a discount for that new retina 15.4" mac book pro ???
please say YES !:D

Yes you can still get student or business discount on it if you qualify, as I was purchasing with student discount (14% as of yesterday, no longer 15% in the UK for some reason, but if you buy more than one item and ring through as separate purchases you are entitled to multiple £70 Student Gift Cards if you take that route) you are allowed to 'buy for' someone too it seems, I went in to purchase for myself and was actually advised by the staff to use my friends student card to get the discount for myself!

GorgonPhone
Jun 13, 2012, 01:04 PM
im going to the apple store toinght

Asclepio
Jun 13, 2012, 01:16 PM
the giant mac is absolutely horrible.

macchiato2009
Jun 13, 2012, 01:18 PM
the Apple TV secretly revealed :D

Ryth
Jun 13, 2012, 01:23 PM
Had the chance to play with them this morning at the Apple Store... matte is matte...yes the glare is considerably less in the retna then recent models, but retna's are still glossy (that makes sense yes?) so they don't look like mattes (or johns.. sorry bad joke). Point is, less glare yes. Definitely.

Definitely less glare...there is some but not as bad as before.

ghostlyorb
Jun 13, 2012, 01:23 PM
I can't wait to check one out this weekend when I buy my new iPad this weekend!

chocolate
Jun 13, 2012, 01:26 PM
Went to the local Apple Store. They had three retina display MBP's on a table with new versions of the MBAir. Side-by-side, using Aperture, viewed the same 'sample' photos (aerial photos) on the retina MBP and the 13" MBAir.

Other than size, I did not note significant, or 'dramatic', differences in image quality displayed between the two.

As an aside, while looking, three customers asked Apple employees to make an immediate purchases of fully-loaded retina MBPros. Store-guy seemed caught off guard when told by another, that they had no retina MBPro's in-stock for sale. Only the display/demo units. Availability was delayed.

cambox
Jun 13, 2012, 02:25 PM

Shame that the Bath store doesn't even have one one show never mind in stock!! They havent received any what so ever!

keelio
Jun 13, 2012, 02:26 PM
Unless you parents are paying for your education it's probably wiser to save your money for collage.

You can buy a lot of construction paper, pipe cleaners and rubber cement for the cost of a rMBP. And with no pixels at all! :p

portishead
Jun 13, 2012, 02:26 PM
I went and checked one out as well. The size is nice. Not as small as I thought it's just a little thinner than a regular 15". I opened a lot of applications for several minutes, and ran a few streams of video to check how hot the bottom got. It finally got pretty warm near the back. Probably not hotter than my macbook air is right now though. That was with 8Gb of ram maxed out in applications. The display is nice, but I think I prefer a higher resolution mode as opposed to the "retina" mode. Third party apps look kinda crappy, but Apple optimized apps look awesome. There is a trade off, but worth it imo.

pgre
Jun 13, 2012, 02:33 PM

The real screen is really nice and has much less glare than the current 15 inch.

apolloa
Jun 13, 2012, 02:37 PM
I find this VERY poor of Apple, this would never happen under Steve Jobs! Went to the Apple store in Bath today, asked if they had any of the new machines and no, they did not, as in NONE on display! When I said that was a bit poor of Apple the assistant nearly replied "they are being shipped this week though"!!! Yeah to CUSTOMERS you expect the bloody stores to have them on display!!!

Ryth
Jun 13, 2012, 02:43 PM
I find this VERY poor of Apple, this would never happen under Steve Jobs! Went to the Apple store in Bath today, asked if they had any of the new machines and no, they did not, as in NONE on display! When I said that was a bit poor of Apple the assistant nearly replied "they are being shipped this week though"!!! Yeah to CUSTOMERS you expect the bloody stores to have them on display!!!

It happened under Steve Jobs all the time...nice revisionist history though.

apolloa
Jun 13, 2012, 02:46 PM
It happened under Steve Jobs all the time...nice revisionist history though.

Really?? I don't remember the last time Apple launched a NEW product and didn't have any in the store for demo? They don't even have any posters or pictures or information up about the Retina models at all......

mrxak
Jun 13, 2012, 02:49 PM
if I have time, I'll see if I can go back over and get some shots of the screen if they'll let me

They'll let you. You can pretty much do whatever you want in an Apple Store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo2p82aTQzo

Lindenhurst
Jun 13, 2012, 02:50 PM

No retina 15 inch notebook would ever top my iMac 27.

Ryth
Jun 13, 2012, 02:50 PM
Really?? I don't remember the last time Apple launched a NEW product and didn't have any in the store for demo? They don't even have any posters or pictures or information up about the Retina models at all......

Really? They have them at the Apple store I go to in Clarendon. Display units, posters/display in the window, etc.

It happened the time. They announce something and then say 'available' today. That doesn't mean you are getting one though. Happened with the last MBPros because I had a friend that went over to the store the day they came out and they didn't have them in stock. He had to order through a 3rd party vendor and got it later that week.

apolloa
Jun 13, 2012, 02:54 PM
Really? They have them at the Apple store I go to in Clarendon. Display units, posters/display in the window, etc.

It happened the time. They announce something and then say 'available' today. That doesn't mean you are getting one though. Happened with the last MBPros because I had a friend that went over to the store the day they came out and they didn't have them in stock. He had to order through a 3rd party vendor and got it later that week.

Yeap, nada was put up about them! Really annoyed me, I didn't want to buy one,yet, but I wanted to look at one! I'll have to wait till I get the chance to driver there again as it's a good hour away.

WilliamG
Jun 13, 2012, 02:57 PM
Got to play with the new MBP Retina display. It's absolutely gob-smacking. There's simply no going back to a 1440x900 or 1680x1050 MacBook Pro. Text is more vibrant, sharper, clearer, the viewing angles are simply fantastic, and there's more to it than that:

Scrolling up and down a page slowly on an older-screen tech like the MacBook Pros reveals a shimmering to the text as you scroll. This simply is not present on the new 2880x1800 display. It's just amazing.

Also, when you resize for 1920x1200, it still looks fantastic. I wouldn't have known it was scaled at all in a blind test. Gorgeous.

Here's a shot at 1920x1200 I snapped with my phone in the Apple Store. These pages are fully-wide, so no scrolling left and right, at 1920x1200 equivalent resolution, at default Safari settings. It looks fabulous.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/wgrose/21466bc9.jpg

Anyway, this really is the benchmark.

It's a shame I had to use Safari for this, as it's still broken with the new MacBook Pro (no surprise). It was just embarrassing scrolling up and down this page in Safari:

http://au.gamespot.com/news/miyamoto-says-ps-vita-needs-games-6375146

Scrolling is smoother on my iPad than any Mac in Safari these days. (Chrome is fine..)

Ryth
Jun 13, 2012, 02:58 PM
Yeap, nada was put up about them! Really annoyed me, I didn't want to buy one,yet, but I wanted to look at one! I'll have to wait till I get the chance to driver there again as it's a good hour away.

Give them a call. They put the display up late last night as I was walking by.

Yesterday when I called them, they said they wouldn't have them on display till the weekend.

faroZ06
Jun 13, 2012, 02:58 PM
I compared the same image at real size (not zoomed in our out) on the 15" retina and non-retina at the Apple Store. As you can see, the retina one shows more of the image:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/643634/IMG_0144.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/643634/IMG_0143.JPG

Karl Berg
Jun 13, 2012, 03:11 PM
Custom MBP-R with 16 gb ram and 512 gb hd and a 2.7 cpu. Ordered it about 1:15pm on launch day!

Was given an estimate of the 21st - the 25th! Thats eight days earlier then I was lamenting waiting and BEFORE I could have picked up a stocked model in my area!

So pumped. Transferring from my 2007 17" MBP now. Waited a long time for this and wish there was a 17" version but I am very happy with this forma factor!

Im just curious and not such an heavy user, but what are you going to use 16gb ram for? :confused:

theOtherGeoff
Jun 13, 2012, 03:22 PM
So it's no longer portable because it's 15" instead of 17"?
It's not a true 'pro' model if pro model means 'component currency and user upgradeable' at least in some eyes.

I'm not dying on that hill, but others feel that way.

Flore
Jun 13, 2012, 03:22 PM

I just went to Regent Street store at about 7pm - not even display models?

ussatlantis
Jun 13, 2012, 03:24 PM
can't wait to get my hand on one

apolloa
Jun 13, 2012, 03:25 PM
Give them a call. They put the display up late last night as I was walking by.

Yesterday when I called them, they said they wouldn't have them on display till the weekend.

Yeah, the guy did say they should have them by the weekend. I'm working though so I'll have to another time. I will go though, hate Bath cause it's FAR too tempting to clothes shop hahaha.. it needs more gadget stores hehe. Nah I'll go in the next few weeks, the store at Bath is really nice cause it's so big I think. The one in Southampton is horrible because it's about half the width and not as far back and it's ALWAYS packed.

Dangerous Theory
Jun 13, 2012, 03:42 PM
I compared the same image at real size (not zoomed in our out) on the 15" retina and non-retina at the Apple Store. Guess which one is which:

Image (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/643634/IMG_0144.JPG)
Image (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/643634/IMG_0143.JPG)

Bottom has way less glare, but aside from that the new MagSafe on It makes it blatant :p

Peter Lorre
Jun 13, 2012, 03:42 PM
Im just curious and not such an heavy user, but what are you going to use 16gb ram for? :confused:

I do a lot of 3d modeling and play games occasionally. I had my last notebook for 5 years so doing my best to future proof myself as much as possible.

I figured the ram was soldered on so I figured this was worth $200

faroZ06
Jun 13, 2012, 04:00 PM
Bottom has way less glare, but aside from that the new MagSafe on It makes it blatant :p

Well, more importantly, the retina one shows more of the image because it can.

----------

I never use more than 2GB of RAM out of my available 3, but when you have more RAM, stuff uses more RAM. Having extra RAM actually increases the performance even if your apps don't use it when you have less.

thermodynamic
Jun 13, 2012, 04:14 PM
Man, I want that 2,500" retina display behind it.

I've got to agree. Anandtech reviewed the Retina panel (IPS!!!) and it's rather good...

Still, there are other reviews I'm waiting to read, and it's a shame there's no proper ethernet port (Computerworld putting up an article saying how iCloud will be the future for storage and yet we're relying on much slower wireless connectivity to get to the internet... the word "illogical" comes to mind...)

----------

It's not a true 'pro' model if pro model means 'component currency and user upgradeable' at least in some eyes.

I'm not dying on that hill, but others feel that way.

With the high-end specs (512GB SSD, etc) I'd be satisfied... assuming it doesn't heat up higher than 76C (what the cheaper competition does offer, and theirs aren't supposed to be built better). If desktops are being supplanted by mobile Macs, then for creating 3D or video editing in a small business, proper cooling mechanisms are essential and that should be part of the "Pro" definition as well.

----------

I compared the same image at real size (not zoomed in our out) on the 15" retina and non-retina at the Apple Store. As you can see, the retina one shows more of the image:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/643634/IMG_0144.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/643634/IMG_0143.JPG

And note the better viewing angles, with more accurate red in the bottom (Retina) picture...

The new model is a mixed bag, but if I had the money I probably would buy it, since color accuracy is rather important...

potatis
Jun 13, 2012, 04:54 PM
What webpages are currently retina? Meaning they have images in 2x size specifyed in style-sheet that will not zoom 2x. Apple.com? Macrumors.com?

jouster
Jun 13, 2012, 05:10 PM
They had some stock in New Haven this morning, but sold out by around 11:00.

montclaire
Jun 13, 2012, 06:06 PM
I just played with one of these machines and side by side compare at apple store on chesnut street in san francisco. All I can say is that it makes looking at non-retina screen soooo yesterday. Asked how are they going to replace the battery or faulty parts under warranty, apple care and genius told me they'll try to fix same day I bring machine in to the store or they give me new one. I don't know what to make of it as I realised that apple store salesmen are not too bright. Anywho....I can definately get away with a based retina model. I'll resell it with no problems before warranty expires.

dalarca
Jun 13, 2012, 06:29 PM

Control + Option + Command + 8

use that when in outdoor daylight. WAY better. (or do it to someone's Mac when they're not watching as a prank and watch them panic when they return) ;)

sulpfiction
Jun 13, 2012, 07:27 PM
Haha, aw, the little one is so cute!

Is it a tiny one, with a normal sized one behind it? Or is it a huge one in the back, and a normal size one in the front? Can see it both ways. :D

b.k.jackson
Jun 13, 2012, 08:07 PM
Still, there are other reviews I'm waiting to read, and it's a shame there's no proper ethernet port (Computerworld putting up an article saying how iCloud will be the future for storage and yet we're relying on much slower wireless connectivity to get to the internet... the word "illogical" comes to mind...)

For home users the bottleneck to any cloud service is their ISP uplink, not their wireless connectivity - most people aren't close to 300Mbps to the Internet that their 802.11n card can (theoretically) deliver. So loss of an Ethernet port shouldn't be that big a deal. For other users (myself included) that have to jack into a Data Center or office location then it's dongle time :)

MOKHAN
Jun 13, 2012, 08:19 PM
Is it a tiny one, with a normal sized one behind it? Or is it a huge one in the back, and a normal size one in the front? Can see it both ways. :D

Oh, hmm. Good point, I think you're right, it's a huge one behind a normal sized one (based on the font size on the window).

paradox00
Jun 13, 2012, 08:36 PM

I remember this happening when the new design of the Macbok Air came out. Went to the nearest Apple Store and they had the first gen Airs on display. Same thing happened with the unibody mac mini and even the hockey puck Apple TV.

MEgaMacMan
Jun 13, 2012, 10:36 PM

You sound afraid of change. for a start the 17" was never that popular despite the belief that it was, after all it would be a huge mistake to drop your most popular profiting product. The 17" was great but popular no.

Firstly, it's not an Air, unless you meant that as an insult to the new macbook pros capabilities. Yes, it's thiner and lighter but it's still got the macbook pro look in a more condensed form. Pro's do not want heavy machines, they want light machines that are powerful.

what's so bad about it not being upgradable, get the 16gb ram upgrade with the 512gb ssd and what's left to upgrade, nothing, so I don't see that as a problem at all.

since you seem to know all about a "PRO's" priorities, maybe you should mention the clarity of the screen, the increased contrast and the detailed blacks which will help with video and still image editing. No you wouldn't would you.
Lastly you refer to the 17" as a workhorse implying that the new retina macbook pro isn't. Well, just to clarify, it's more powerful in just about every way compared to the 17". SO I guess it's not a work horse, it's a work T-rex.

as for losing those couple of inches screen real-estate. Who cares, it's lighter more portable and if I want a huge screen I can just plug it into a 30" monitor and still have more screen size than the 17" macbook pro.

I like the 17" macbook pro and I had one, but i'm sick of the superiority complex from people thinking they are better than everyone else for having a bigger macbook. that may have been true in the past but not now.

This retina macbook is the best macbook pro ever built, so you people trying to be negative about it before you've even tried it, are either impossible to please, jealous you can't afford one or your just so stuck with your beliefs your unwilling to change your way of thinking.

i'm sick of people complaining about a products shortcomings before they have even tried the product out.

rant over

charlituna
Jun 13, 2012, 10:42 PM
I don't think you understand what the repairability score is. "Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)."

I know very well what it means. it's the score of how easy it is for any mug off the streets to tinker with his stuff.

----------

They probably just put a regular HDTV in there and TVs usually don't have glass covering them.

Nope. It's a graphic. I saw one today when I had to go pick up a few more iPads for the office. it's basically all cardboard with a plastic 'screen' over an image.

Lancelot9201
Jun 14, 2012, 12:20 AM
From the teardown performed & the report they wrote you might be disappointed to hear that the screen is molded into the top, the HDD is not upgradeable & the connector is proprietary, the memory is not upgradeable & the batteries are glued to the case. So it would appear that we are now being forced to pay Apples outrageous prices for more memory or a larger HDD. Also, any battery replacement must be done by apple, which we all know will cost a ton..(the iFitIt tech got a bad shock trying to get them out)

I always wondered what they'd do to force us to pay $200 to upgrade from 8gb to 16gb of memory, now I know.

Piggie
Jun 14, 2012, 01:38 AM
This retina macbook is the best macbook pro ever built, so you people trying to be negative about it before you've even tried it, are either impossible to please, jealous you can't afford one or your just so stuck with your beliefs your unwilling to change your way of thinking.

"Best" is a hard phrase to use.

Best detailed screen, Best for thinness perhaps, Best for USB speed.

However if things are taken away, lets say a DVD drive and you, in your business with clients use the DVD drive, on the move, in conjunction with your work, then it's plainly not the best.
It's like me saying, I've removed the rear two seats from my car and made the engine 10% faster, it's the best car I've ever made. Not if you are used to carrying 4 people it's not.

iamdavekennedy
Jun 14, 2012, 04:53 AM
I just went to Regent Street store at about 7pm - not even display models?

Yeah no display models because they weren't allowed to put them out whilst people are in store as it's a security risk, and they weren't permitted to close the store during retail hours apparently, but they still had them there for purchase! Sold out now though, housemate went over to try to get one this morning and they're all gone!

MEgaMacMan
Jun 14, 2012, 06:55 AM
"Best" is a hard phrase to use.

Best detailed screen, Best for thinness perhaps, Best for USB speed.

However if things are taken away, lets say a DVD drive and you, in your business with clients use the DVD drive, on the move, in conjunction with your work, then it's plainly not the best.
It's like me saying, I've removed the rear two seats from my car and made the engine 10% faster, it's the best car I've ever made. Not if you are used to carrying 4 people it's not.

I fail to see your point. It is the best pure and simple, might only be the best by a margin but it's still the best.It's not just the best for thinness and usb, it has many other design improvements. Including as you mentioned the bomb in power.

Your argument for the DVD drive is a really bad one, you sound like the same broken record people played back when computers got rid of the floppy drive. It's called progression and clients will adapt, these days everything is solid storage, I haven't used discs all year this year for example,and i work in the media. As for the clients I know use DVD as a medium, I'll just get an external in that case, but believe me, those cases are few and far between.

well Apple have the other lineup, so I guess people have a choice, other than that, I see it as a logical step forward as will many people not hung up on the DVD drive being taken out.

and that analogy of the car is a pretty bad one, they didn't just rip a few things out, they put more back into it than they pulled out while keeping it thin, maybe if you pulled the seats out your car, made it much more powerful, added wings to it, and gave it a crystal clear front screen, then that might be a better analogy. They didn't just rip the seats out as you suggest.

well people like you are impossible to convince,stay in the past if you like.

Sackvillenb
Jun 14, 2012, 07:38 AM
well... a giant macbook... Kind neat, kinda hilarious, but it seems to like a bit... ugly? I guess I'll have to see one in person... :)

mscice
Jun 14, 2012, 08:38 AM
hoping that 13" models will get the retina on next update ...

GorgonPhone
Jun 14, 2012, 09:12 AM
I went to the apple store yesterday and played with the mac book pro retina ...

It is slim and light and very cool looking but i quickly noticed that none retina graphics look bad on it and pixilated. Im sure it will be resolved though.. At this point i don't feel like i need to rush out and get this machine since the regular mac book pro still holds its own.

----------

hoping that 13" models will get the retina on next update ...

now a 13" incher would be nice i am a fan of small laptops that i can hook up to a big screen when i am at home..

28monkeys
Jun 14, 2012, 10:28 AM
W-o-w

Datalinks
Jun 14, 2012, 03:11 PM
People, if you cannot tell the glare is from the display window you definitely don't need a retina display. :rolleyes:

markselise
Jun 15, 2012, 10:04 PM
For those who were upset that Apple dropped the 17"...

:p I ordered the new 15in MacBook Pro Retina with all the add-ons?
Priceless about $4000.00 -2inches off my screen. Poor me!!! :D

Mark

twoodcc
Jun 16, 2012, 12:18 AM
my local apple store didn't have this, but it looks like they might be in the process of implementing it.

class77
Jun 16, 2012, 01:10 AM
If apple gets into the tv market I will throw away my crappy lg led tv for a 4k retina display, who knows maybe the next iMac will be 4k but i would hate to see the cost.
Yep, but your TV won't run the latest operating system in 2 years and then you'll have to buy another one!!:D

mrmarts
Jun 16, 2012, 02:27 AM
Yep, but your TV won't run the latest operating system in 2 years and then you'll have to buy another one!!:D

Ouch I forgot about that thanks for the heads up

rdlink
Jun 16, 2012, 11:11 AM

That's a ridiculous statement. This unit is more powerful than the 17" MBP that it replaced. So is the 15" non-high res model that has all of the weight and the optical drive of the older one.

If Apple saw a profit benefit in keeping the 17" model they would have. But obviously you and the 15 or so friends of yours who would rather carry a steamer trunk in their backpack must not have been enough ROI to develop a new one.

chasemac
Jun 16, 2012, 12:44 PM
I got a look at the retinas yesterday. If I were in the market for a new MacBook pro, I would rather get one of the other models. To my eyes, the retinas had about the same glare and the overall viewing wasn't that much better. Plus, they both come with lion installed so never mind.