PDA

View Full Version : In iOS 6, iTunes Match Actually Supports Both Streaming and Downloading of Music

MacRumors
Jun 13, 2012, 03:41 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/13/in-ios-6-itunes-match-actually-supports-both-streaming-and-downloading-of-music/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/NewImage15.png

Last year, there was some controversy (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/30/despite-apples-denial-itunes-match-is-streaming/) over whether or not Apple's iTunes Match service supported streaming of music or just downloading files. As it stands, iTunes Match appears to play songs as they download, which is an issue of semantics -- but all that will change in iOS 6.

As noted by Apple 'n' Apps (http://applenapps.com/special-event/ios-6-hands-on-itunes-match-now-streams-music.html), in the iOS 6 beta, iTunes Match has become a full-on streaming service. Songs can be downloaded or streamed, with streaming being the default playback option:
iTunes Match has become a streaming service in the beta. We confirmed it, by playing a few songs, then turning off iTunes Match, and seeing that the music folder then had no music. In iOS 5, the few tracks you listened to are stored. The various playlists, artists, and songs also drop the cloud icon next to them, and those are reserved for the album view, and a little bit off to the side.YSSGVVz9sac
iTunes Match (http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/) costs $24.99 per year, matching songs in your iTunes library to those in the iTunes Music Store.

Article Link: In iOS 6, iTunes Match Actually Supports Both Streaming and Downloading of Music (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/13/in-ios-6-itunes-match-actually-supports-both-streaming-and-downloading-of-music/)

chriscrk
Jun 13, 2012, 03:42 PM
Yes! I can't wait for iOS 6 to come out. I'm so excited :D

bozz2006
Jun 13, 2012, 03:44 PM
AWESOME! Then I'll finally sign up for Match. Don't have room on my iphone to store much music, but if I can stream it... :D:D

MacJones
Jun 13, 2012, 03:45 PM
They'll probably make it for the 4s only like all the other cool iOS 6 features. :rolleyes:

RoboCop001
Jun 13, 2012, 03:46 PM
Would be cool if it's an option. Sometimes I wish it could stream, but at the same time I like that it stores songs for when I'm in the subway or in a crappy data area.

Suppose I could just sync a small playlist and stream the rest.

pgiguere1
I wish they would also make the Previous track button work with iTunes match. Now all it does is restarting the track and it's pretty annoying.

Worf
Didn't they have streaming available in an iOS 5 beta last year? What's to keep Apple from taking it away in a later beta? Anyone have any ideas on what would lead them to change their opinions on how the service should be used? I won't hold my breath to see if it sticks.

afurry13
Jun 13, 2012, 03:47 PM
There is no reason you should have any lower than an iPhone 4 once the new iPhone comes out. You will be able to sell your iPhone 4 for the cost of a new one under contract on ebay or craigslist. Stop complaining about missing features, you are not supposed to have a phone for longer than 2 years.

saxon48
Jun 13, 2012, 03:47 PM
Great news! Can't wait!

Icaras
Jun 13, 2012, 03:49 PM
Nice. Glad to hear this news. Local storage just became a little bit more obsolete.

Just too bad we don't live in a world of unlimited data anymore. :(

jian
Jun 13, 2012, 03:50 PM
The title seems strange, iOS 6 actually supports.....
I like Arnold's style the best, and then Eric, and then Jordan's...no offense

musio
Jun 13, 2012, 03:53 PM
But it's not Spotify. You can't search for an artist you don't have and stream can you?

SBlue1
Jun 13, 2012, 03:54 PM
Wow, now this is some great news. This is gonna free up some space from my packed full iPad.

Also it would be cool if the Apple TV could stream photos from the external HD attached to my router without the need for my Mac to be on. This would free even more space on my iPad since I use it to stream photos to my Apple tv instand of having to boot up the Mac just to stream.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 13, 2012, 03:55 PM
But did they fix the clean version only issue? If so, I'm sold

baleensavage
Jun 13, 2012, 03:55 PM
Hopefully they'll do something about the performance of iTunes Match and the censoring of imported explicit albums in iOS 6. Right now iTunes match slows my iPod touch 4th gen to a crawl, even when I'm not downloading music and it makes iTunes unbearably unresponsive when I am using it. I don't know why Apple can't figure out what Amazon, Google and Dropbox have already done with no problems, but it's the worst cloud storage service I've ever used. I'd stop using it altogether if that didn't mean having to go back to using a cord to get my music on my iPod all the time. And even then on some days I think the cord would be better.

MacJones
Jun 13, 2012, 03:58 PM
There is no reason you should have any lower than an iPhone 4 once the new iPhone comes out. You will be able to sell your iPhone 4 for the cost of a new one under contract on ebay or craigslist. Stop complaining about missing features, you are not supposed to have a phone for longer than 2 years.

Some people haven't had their iPhone 4 for 2 years. You can still buy an 8GB iPhone 4 from a lot of carriers.

Defender2010
Jun 13, 2012, 03:59 PM
This is completely untrue. I tested this last night myself. If you turn off iTunes match all the songs you played are still there. I tested on my iPad (where I don't normally play any songs from iTunes Match) and if you look in "about" in settings it shows the number of downloaded songs on the device. Confirmed it in iTunes in the device contents drop down. I think they just removed the cloud icons to clean up the look of it (they could return). Personally I wish they would let you put a limit on the amount of space you reserve for music. Eg. 2GB, once reached it can automatically remove the least played songs.

haravikk
Jun 13, 2012, 04:00 PM
Is it possible to still do a hybrid approach, e.g - any song that is fully streamed will be saved? If you just set iTunes playing an album for example, and you intend to replay it later, then I think the hybrid method might be better.

parish
Jun 13, 2012, 04:01 PM
I just hope they fix all the missing artwork and "Unknown Album" bugginess before they add new bells & whistles!

basesloaded190
The same thing happened last time with iOS 5. I have my fingers crossed that it will stay streaming as I won't have to buy a 64GB phone, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is changed before it is released.

fishbert
I actually don't want to kill my data bill every month with streaming. It seems the lack of cloud icons will be confusing as to which songs are downloaded vs. available for streaming... and the article doesn't actually say how you tell it to download instead of stream.

egeek84
But it's not Spotify. You can't search for an artist you don't have and stream can you?

No, it's not Spotify but for 25 bucks a year (unlike Spotifys 10 bucks a month or whatever,) this is a great deal for people who want to access their huge iTunes Music Collections anywhere they are wheres theres wifi without having to deal with syncing and taking up space on their iOS devices. Count me in, i'm sold!

bushido
Jun 13, 2012, 04:02 PM
i wish you could still sync music with itunes even though you have match enabled. main reason why i only use match to upgrade my songs as of right now

ballsop
Jun 13, 2012, 04:03 PM
As a developer I thought this was a bug. In the UK on my train journey 3G is dotted so streaming is far from my best option. I have no way now of knowing what's downloading and what's just steaming or how to download. I say bring back the cloud icon for downloading and just tapping the song for streaming.

getinline1
Jun 13, 2012, 04:06 PM
I also noticed I was streaming lower quality versions when not on wifi. It seemed like the quality was adaptive like QuickTime streams are.

jlgolson
Jun 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
The title seems strange, iOS 6 actually supports.....
I like Arnold's style the best, and then Eric, and then Jordan's...no offense
It's a reference to this post from last year: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/29/itunes-match-allows-both-streaming-and-downloading-of-music/

NutsNGum
Jun 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
Spotify may be rather annoyed.

drewisanapple
Jun 13, 2012, 04:11 PM
If the stream also works on my new retina MacBook Pro, then it'll save so much space.

swordfish5736
Jun 13, 2012, 04:14 PM
hmmm...there is still a download all option. However with iOS5 when songs were being downloaded to be played they'd show up in the iTunes store as being downloaded. I went in and hit download all on a playlist and they showed up in iTunes app as being downloaded but when playing individual songs this doesn't happen so maybe they are streaming

dokujaryu
Jun 13, 2012, 04:15 PM
Well... huh...

is it any coincidence that Amazon released their cloud streaming player yesterday?
http://www.pcworld.com/article/257489/amazon_cloud_player_app_comes_to_iphone_ipod_touch_at_last.html

mikefj2004
Jun 13, 2012, 04:16 PM
when apple get's iTunes Match correct. This has totally screwed up my albums. Some album photos are missing. It takes forever for a song or album to show up on my iPhone or iPad if bought on my mac. Please, let's get it right this time.

newagemac
Jun 13, 2012, 04:16 PM
I'm curious why the article is presenting "streaming only" as something more than "streaming plus downloading". Obviously streaming plus downloading at the same time involves doing more than just streaming. And it works better overall because you aren't limited by your wireless signal. And then if you play a song more than once, it also reduces the hit to your data cap because the song was already downloaded for you.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice if Apple is now offering the option of just "streaming only" in situations where you don't have any more space left ,but that option isn't more advanced or harder to do or anything.

In fact, iOS5 already does "streaming only" when you turn on iTunes Match on the iOS5 based Apple TV.

The whole point of "streaming plus downloading" is to give you the advantages that "streaming only" misses out on that I mentioned earlier.

mtnDewFTW
Jun 13, 2012, 04:17 PM
Finally, my prayers have been answered

DrDomVonDoom
Jun 13, 2012, 04:22 PM
soo...?

Oh yay, now I can have all the wasted bandwidth of a downloaded track without it actually being on my device. :/

dilute37
Jun 13, 2012, 04:24 PM
This is great news. I've played around with it and it seems legit. I hope this hangs around for the iOS6 GM. I have all sort of issues with DL'ing from Match. I have a large library, but wouldn't say huge (+/-13,000). And getting playlists, especially large ones on my iPhone 4S is always an issue. Generally only downloading only a third of what I want and then showing a downloading error (that persists) for the rest.

As long as this sticks around, Apple will be able to pry $25 out of my hand annually for this.

gorbok
Jun 13, 2012, 04:26 PM

Spotify may be rather annoyed.

Until iTunes Match allows you to stream any music from the iTunes store regardless of whether you have previously bought it, it will remain a very different service to Spotify. The article is a bit misleading in that way. Spotify is an all-you-can-eat buffet, iTunes Match is a well-stocked fridge.

I can see the advantage for people with not enough storage on their phone though.

rhett7660
Jun 13, 2012, 04:26 PM
I hope this stays and doesn't go away after the beta is done.

slicecom
Jun 13, 2012, 04:29 PM
The coolest thing about the Music app is that when you move the phone, the reflection on the knobs changes. Very subtle, but I love little touches like that.

AndyR
Jun 13, 2012, 04:35 PM

And what model phone do you think the person who is buying your iPhone4 ends up with aye? :rolleyes:

camsoft
Jun 13, 2012, 04:37 PM
Don't think the article is accurate. It seems to be working the same way it has always worked. It just seems they have removed the download and cloud icons which were confusing at best.

You can swipe to delete tracks you've just played so clearly are downloaded to phone. After deleting they taking longer to start playing while they download again.

All that seems to have changed is that switching on/off iTunes Match deletes all offline locally stored music.

I have lots of music on the phone that I synced using iTunes before enabling iTunes Match. Prior to iOS6 turning on iTunes Match kept the local music, it's seems now in iOS6 it deletes it all.

Which is why the author may think its not being stored when turning off iTunes Match.

mazz0
Jun 13, 2012, 04:39 PM
Are sure it's not just a bug?

tasset
Jun 13, 2012, 04:41 PM
I really like iTunes Match and storing songs in the cloud, but the handling of album art drives me insane. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not, and sometimes it eventually shows up 10 or 15 seconds into playing the song.

QuarterSwede
Jun 13, 2012, 04:42 PM
Don't think the article is accurate. It seems to be working the same way it has always worked. It just seems they have removed the download and cloud icons which were confusing at best.

You can swipe to delete tracks you've just played so clearly are downloaded to phone. After deleting they taking longer to start playing while they download again.

All that seems to have changed is that switching on/off iTunes Match deletes all offline locally stored music.

I have lots of music on the phone that I synced using iTunes before enabling iTunes Match. Prior to iOS6 turning on iTunes Match kept the local music, it's seems now in iOS6 it deletes it all.

Which is why the author may think its not being stored when turning off iTunes Match.
Could be, but there is no denying that it starts playing almost immediately. Big performance improvement on my end at least.

rhett7660
Jun 13, 2012, 04:50 PM
soo...?

Oh yay, now I can have all the wasted bandwidth of a downloaded track without it actually being on my device. :/

If it stays the same there is an option to download to. So you can have your cake and eat it too! :)

Dcuellar
This is completely untrue. I tested this last night myself. If you turn off iTunes match all the songs you played are still there. I tested on my iPad (where I don't normally play any songs from iTunes Match) and if you look in "about" in settings it shows the number of downloaded songs on the device. Confirmed it in iTunes in the device contents drop down. I think they just removed the cloud icons to clean up the look of it (they could return). Personally I wish they would let you put a limit on the amount of space you reserve for music. Eg. 2GB, once reached it can automatically remove the least played songs.

That's how iSub does it. Personally, I'm just going to stick to iSub. I'm able to play my flac collection with no issues.

NoIdeasOriginal
Great, if this feature stays in the final release of iOS 6, I will definitely be signing up for iTunes Match. I don't have any music on my iPhone because of the 16gb storage limitation. Being able to stream music from iCloud would be of great benefit. Very excited about iOS 6. :)

camsoft
Jun 13, 2012, 04:55 PM
Could be, but there is no denying that it starts playing almost immediately. Big performance improvement on my end at least.

Having tested again now I'm not sure. Might be a bug that caused all my songs to get deleted.

kimballmac
Jun 13, 2012, 04:58 PM
This sounds great.

However, my big problem is that I am still prevented from joining iTunes Match. I am a former CD music store owner, and therefore have a lot (>2,500 CDs!) of music in my library that was not purchased through iTunes. If I try and join, the iTunes Match gives me the error message that greater than 25,000 of my songs were not purchased through iTunes.

As soon as this restriction is lifted, I will be quick to join iTunes Match!

So Random
Jun 13, 2012, 05:05 PM
Another nail in the Spotify coffin.

davepipe
Jun 13, 2012, 05:06 PM
This is nice and all, but what about fixing the clean v. explicit version bug?

thenaes
Jun 13, 2012, 05:09 PM
Until iTunes Match allows you to stream any music from the iTunes store regardless of whether you have previously bought it, it will remain a very different service to Spotify. The article is a bit misleading in that way. Spotify is an all-you-can-eat buffet, iTunes Match is a well-stocked fridge.

I can see the advantage for people with not enough storage on their phone though.

I really hope Apple puts out a streaming service like Spotify at some point this year.

Of the services currently available though, I much prefer Rdio. But if Apple were to have a service available on iOS, OSX, and AppleTV I am pretty sure I would switch.

retroactiv
Jun 13, 2012, 05:13 PM
Been playing with a buddys iPad.

If you go into your usage settings and delete all music, then play a track, the size increases. Also, once you play a song, you can shut off wifi and play the track again. They just aren't showing the download UI, but it's still doing it.

rman726
Jun 13, 2012, 05:14 PM
Some people haven't had their iPhone 4 for 2 years. You can still buy an 8GB iPhone 4 from a lot of carriers.

If you bought an iPhone 4 in the last year, you obviously don't care about having the best.

adztaylor
Jun 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
Spotify is an all-you-can-eat buffet, iTunes Match is a well-stocked fridge.

That's actually a good analogy, at least someone in this thread seems to get the difference between the two services.

Another nail in the Spotify coffin.

No it isn't as they're both completely different. Look it up if you're confused.

iSee
Jun 13, 2012, 05:20 PM
...but all that will change in iOS 6.

Not necesarily. Remember, iOS 6 is a beta (and an fairly early one at that).
Things can and do change.
In fact, wasn't some streaming functionality present in early iOS 5 builds removed by the final release?

a.gomez
Jun 13, 2012, 05:20 PM
well that is very good news

Ayemerica
Jun 13, 2012, 05:30 PM
This should have been available from day 1.

Peace
Jun 13, 2012, 05:32 PM
This should have been available from day 1.

Nothing has changed except the download cloud is separate from the play.

It still downloads the data. I just tested it.

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 13, 2012, 05:33 PM
Let me make sure I have this clear...

It costs an annual fee AND you have to already own the song AND it's streaming, not downloading?

Explain to me again how this is better than Spotify, where you can either:
own the song already OR get an ad after a few songs you don't own OR pay a fee?

CapnJackGig
Jun 13, 2012, 05:36 PM
Apple constantly playing catch-up with Amazon.

GenesisST
Jun 13, 2012, 05:37 PM
I was pondering whether to renew my current plan (6gb/month) for a cheaper one with less data, since I currently don't use much.

With that plus my new wifi only wifi and tethering, I think that settles it. I'm hoping my 3GS will stay alive until the iPhone 5...

rkahl
Jun 13, 2012, 05:37 PM
Yep, I'm streaming right now. Very cool.

MacJones
Jun 13, 2012, 05:39 PM
If you bought an iPhone 4 in the last year, you obviously don't care about having the best.

I bought mine on release day. I'm just saying a lot of people have bought their's within the last year and there is no reason Apple can't bring all of iOS 6's features to the iPhone 4. Jailbroken iPhone 4's run siri and FaceTime over 3G just fine and navigation apps already work from third party apps.

GenesisST
Jun 13, 2012, 05:40 PM

It costs an annual fee AND you have to already own the song AND it's streaming, not downloading?

Different service. I think of iTunes match as an online backup for My music library. :-). Much cheaper than mozy for that my library size.

spaceballl
Jun 13, 2012, 05:42 PM
Wow! This is great! I would like it if they made it even better in two ways...
- when I go into airplane mode, the iTunes Match songs are hidden.... that way my phone doesn't try to play a bunch of songs it won't get.
- I hope this will work in iTunes as well! I have a MacBook Air with a smaller harddrive, and I'd love to be able to stream my music to it without having to use something like the amazon cloud player (what i currently use)

baryon
Jun 13, 2012, 05:42 PM
Just looking at that video, off topic, and totally unimportant detail, but why is the seek bar thicker on the right side than on the left? Doesn't it make more sense that content you've already heard is marked stronger, just like the volume you're using is highlighted, while the volume you're NOT using is not highlighted?

I mean, it has always been like this (see screenshot): what you have already heard is stronger, while what is coming up is weaker in color…

Not that it bothers me, just curious about this weird decision…

Ayemerica
Jun 13, 2012, 05:44 PM

Thank you.

mcdermd
Jun 13, 2012, 05:44 PM
Great. How about getting rid of that 25,000 song limit now? I'd love to be able to use the service but my library is too large.

Tsunami911
Jun 13, 2012, 05:45 PM
you lucky Retina Toting MBP owner!

They'll probably make it for the 4s only like all the other cool iOS 6 features. :rolleyes:

AMG63
Jun 13, 2012, 05:47 PM

Agree.

The days of buying individuals songs at $1.29/each are numbered. With services like Spotify, the iTunes model just doesn't make sense anymore. A new album I wanted the other day was more expensive on iTunes than my $9.99 Spotify subscription. I'm sure we'll see Apple release something similar to Spotify for music (and possibly TV) in the near future.

whitewater2
Jun 13, 2012, 05:49 PM

I think people are confusing what the purpose of iTunes Match versus what other services do. (I think of Itunes Match as a security for my music). Spotify is like streaming radio, Itunes Match is not that.

- Itunes Match backs up your music files , and it does it pretty fast rather than uploading your files. I did over 10,000 in less than 2 hours. When I uploading my stuff to Google Music, that was 6-7 days of uploading.

- Costs $25 yearly

- Upgrades all lower quality songs to 256kbps AAC file (this alone pays for my first year of being able to upgrade my music to better quality) from rips I did 10 years ago.

- Can be accessed from your MAC, Windows or IOS devices.

- Streams to AppleTV

Tsunami911
Jun 13, 2012, 05:50 PM

they are completely different services and vastly different pricing models.

When one or the other offers both storage of my music and streaming of new stuff got $5/mo. I might bite. until then I'm happy with the 15,000 songs I have in match.

MacJones
Jun 13, 2012, 05:56 PM
you lucky Retina Toting MBP owner!

Technically I don't own it yet because I have to wait the 2-3 weeks for shipping. :mad: It's gonna be the longest 2-3 weeks ever!

steveo218
Jun 13, 2012, 06:09 PM
I did my own test i played a few songs and then checked how many MB the music app took up. Went from 20MB to over 50MB so i believe when you turn off match it just deletes the songs where it did not perviously did.

Mak47
Jun 13, 2012, 06:15 PM
iTunes match is essentially a streaming service now, that's how I use it. If I tap on a song in my music library on my iPhone or iPad it usually takes a few seconds to get started then it plays. It'll play continuously through the rest of the album as well if I just let it keep going. Really, it's just playing as it downloads, but the fact that it'll start playing immediately makes this new streaming feature a bit unexciting.

What is exciting is that hopefully it will work better. 95% of the time iTunes match works wonderfully, even over 3G. The other 5% of the time it's a mess and a half. If I try to skip songs, or quickly switch from one album to another it can get stuck.

I know that's not how it's really meant to be used, so I don't get particularly upset about it, but hopefully the new streaming option will work more smoothly.

tigress666
Jun 13, 2012, 06:17 PM

And those, especially those buying the 8 GB iPHone 4, should have realized they are buying older tech that isn't going to have as many of the newer features...

It's one reason I didn't just go ahead and buy a 4S when my contract was up in February, I figured if I am going to spend money on a new iPHone, I want it to be really new (That and the speed of it didn't wow me enough so I figured I'd wait to see what the 5 has. But I do believe Apple aims each iphone at those who have a 2 year old iphone and don't really expect many with one year old iphones to change... meaning you won't see a big change from your year old iphone to the new one, you'll see more when your iphone is 2 years old. Yes, planned obsolescence in a way but at least they plan it for 2 years).

Shaun, UK
Jun 13, 2012, 06:34 PM
Too little too late. 25 bucks to stream music I already own and already have on my computer anyway. Get real.

The iTunes music store is toast. Why pay to buy compressed music when I can get all the music I want for 5 or 10 a month with Spotify. I'd rather discover music on Spotify and then if I really like the album I'll go buy the CD and rip into my computer in glorious lossless sound.

Unless iTunes adopts a Spotify like subscription service or starts selling lossless music it's dead.

badNameErr
Jun 13, 2012, 06:40 PM
...you are not supposed to have a phone for longer than 2 years.

Right on! The sooner we can pass laws jailing people with +2 year old phones the better. Get 'em off the street. That's what I say.

capcaveman
Jun 13, 2012, 06:43 PM
Hopefully they'll do something about the performance of iTunes Match and the censoring of imported explicit albums in iOS 6. Right now iTunes match slows my iPod touch 4th gen to a crawl, even when I'm not downloading music and it makes iTunes unbearably unresponsive when I am using it. I don't know why Apple can't figure out what Amazon, Google and Dropbox have already done with no problems, but it's the worst cloud storage service I've ever used. I'd stop using it altogether if that didn't mean having to go back to using a cord to get my music on my iPod all the time. And even then on some days I think the cord would be better.

Could not agree more, I signed up for Match today thinking I'd save some space but it's absolutely horrible. If you are used to being able to get to your music right away and have the ipod experience on your phone you will be very dissapointed. I couldn't believe it actually deletes all your music from your phone and then you have to redownload it. I know I should have read a little closer beforehand but I didn't expect apple to put out something so horrible. Hopefully they'll make a ton of improvements. So far it's way easier to use DropBox and the SongBox player.

Tinmania
Jun 13, 2012, 07:00 PM

They tested it with different results.

I tested it with mixed results: sometimes it downloaded, but other times it did not.

It is far too early to say definitively how the end result will be. However, being that the cloud download icon is now present in album or artist view, plus the ability to download all tracks in a playl I would say they are leaning towards having it stream or download.

Personally, I would rather it work that way (stream or download). I do not want it to download a track that I just happened to play but really don't want to download (nor do I want to remember to delete it).

For those worried about not having access during commutes without data and whatnot: there is no worry. You can easily download an entire playlist while on wifi (or 3G if you don't mind the data). You can also easily switch off "show all music" so only the locally stored tracks will be available to play.

Michael

Radio
Jun 13, 2012, 07:01 PM
$25 to stream your own music?

we can stream for free using audiogalaxy :hmm: why pay?:confused:

Tinmania
Jun 13, 2012, 07:09 PM
Too little too late. 25 bucks to stream music I already own and already have on my computer anyway. Get real.

The iTunes music store is toast. Why pay to buy compressed music when I can get all the music I want for 5 or 10 a month with Spotify. I'd rather discover music on Spotify and then if I really like the album I'll go buy the CD and rip into my computer in glorious lossless sound.

Unless iTunes adopts a Spotify like subscription service or starts selling lossless music it's dead.
It's great that you want that. I, and I am sure others, do not. I do not want to "rent" music when I already have a collection large enough for my needs (and free regular or streaming radio to discover new stuff).

You don't seem to get the point of Match, however. You see my collection is too large to store on my portable devices. My solution before Match was to sync a playlist that was much smaller than my music collection. That was not a very good solution compared to Match: now I have access to all my music. Plus, it syncs playlists--and any changes made to them--across all devices.

iTunes Match really does compare to Spotify, in my opinion. But if you want to compare on price, since you brought it up, over a year Match is a fraction of what Spotify costs. Seems silly to even compare that. It's like saying my water bill is a fraction of what my car payment is.

EDIT: I didn't touch on the two other aspects of Match, which can be huge. One, the fact that you don't have to upload most of your library. Two, no matter what quality the tracks you have are, you can download 256kbps AAC versions from the cloud. You can keep them even if you do not re-subscribe to Match. For someone who has been ripping CDs since 1998, and was not looking forward to doing the old stuff over again, this was a godsend.

Michael

getinline1
Jun 13, 2012, 07:12 PM
Also, undownloaded iTunes match songs no longer appear in the download tab of ITMS on iOS. Either it's using a new method (which I suspect) or they are just hiding iTunes match downloads there now.

TheoW593
Jun 13, 2012, 07:49 PM
I'm just wondering: what does iTunes Match offer that Google Music doesn't for free? I was so close to buying Match then I discovered Google Music.

The long upload time for Google Music didn't matter to me with my work connection.

I know Google Music doesn't have an official app, but gMusic (3rd party) is good enough.

Dcuellar
Jun 13, 2012, 07:59 PM
They tested it with different results.

I tested it with mixed results: sometimes it downloaded, but other times it did not.

It is far too early to say definitively how the end result will be. However, being that the cloud download icon is now present in album or artist view, plus the ability to download all tracks in a playl I would say they are leaning towards having it stream or download.

Personally, I would rather it work that way (stream or download). I do not want it to download a track that I just happened to play but really don't want to download (nor do I want to remember to delete it).

For those worried about not having access during commutes without data and whatnot: there is no worry. You can easily download an entire playlist while on wifi (or 3G if you don't mind the data). You can also easily switch off "show all music" so only the locally stored tracks will be available to play.

Michael

How are the tests being done? The video shows the reviewer on WiFi. Maybe there are different actions.

Dcuellar
Jun 13, 2012, 08:12 PM
I'm just wondering: what does iTunes Match offer that Google Music doesn't for free? I was so close to buying Match then I discovered Google Music.

The long upload time for Google Music didn't matter to me with my work connection.

I know Google Music doesn't have an official app, but gMusic (3rd party) is good enough.

I'm bored, so I thought I'd answer this.

If you are an iTunes user, it is convenient to have it across all devices. Ratings, Cover Art, metadata, play counts, playlists, etc.

Also, I like coverflow. As someone who is OCD with metadata on my collection I love that I can view it in that manner.

Personally, I use iTunes Match to listen to music directly on the iPhone with headphones. If I am in the car or connecting the device to a better sounding speaker I will use iSub which streams my collection at it's original file quality. My collection is all FLAC and it handles it beautifully. Both services offer a way to stream/download content but iSub handles it better and gives the user more control of that experience. Hopefully Apple is headed in that direction with their music. I can easily transcode these files to ALAC if that meant that they are streamed/downloaded at that quality.

arnette
Jun 13, 2012, 08:40 PM

+1 for iTunes subscription service.

I use Zune Pass for $10/mo and it's great. I can stream while on mobile, too, if I wanted. Or download various tracks so they play locally (though copyright-protected). Only crap thing is I need to use WP7 devices or the Zune program.

But I digress. I don't get how (1) people have 20,000 tracks and need access too all of them at all times and (2) why you'd pay money to listen to the tracks you already have.
A lot of people either are music whores or have a lot of illegally collected mp3s from various sources.

The tech behind iTunes Match is novel... but that's about it.

Tinmania
Jun 13, 2012, 09:01 PM
+1 for iTunes subscription service.

I use Zune Pass for $10/mo and it's great. I can stream while on mobile, too, if I wanted. Or download various tracks so they play locally (though copyright-protected). Only crap thing is I need to use WP7 devices or the Zune program.

But I digress. I don't get how (1) people have 20,000 tracks and need access too all of them at all times and (2) why you'd pay money to listen to the tracks you already have.
A lot of people either are music whores or have a lot of illegally collected mp3s from various sources.

The tech behind iTunes Match is novel... but that's about it.
Sure, that must be it, since you have no other way to imagine it. If you don't understand they must be a whore or a thief. Wonderful.

Personally, I don't get how someone can be ignorant about iTunes Match, which is only $25 per year, while at the same time boasting about spending $120 per year to rent music. <shrug>

Michael

----------

How are the tests being done? The video shows the reviewer on WiFi. Maybe there are different actions.
Not sure if WiFi or 3G matters, but I will test that.

What I think they are going for is when you either see the cloud icon--which is is set apart from the individual track compared to how it was pre-iOS 6--or choose a "download all" option in a play list in order to force a download.

For me just playing a track is hit-or-miss. But these three methods clearly download:

1.) Tapping the cloud icon when viewing an album (all tracks in album download).

2.) Tapping the cloud icon when viewing tracks by artist (again, all tracks are downloaded for that artist).

3.) Scrolling to the bottom of a playlist and choosing to download all.

I would not mind if those three methods be the only way to download to the device (other than itunes).

Or perhaps there will be an option added to Settings to choose whether playing any song will also download it. This would be perfect, in my opinion (along with the other 3 methods).

Michael

charlituna
Jun 13, 2012, 09:35 PM

No. You can't

----------

If the stream also works on my new retina MacBook Pro, then it'll save so much space.

It does now

Now they need to get iTunes to show what movies, tv shows, books and apps we bought and can download in our collections instead of having to go to the store

bosephus61
Jun 13, 2012, 09:55 PM
It seems we are going in opposite directions with respect to what Apple wants and what the carriers (att,verizon, etc.) want. With all the majors switching to capped plans and doing away with unlimited -- gives me real pause to want to rely on a cloud service for anything other than the essentials (mail/web) while mobile... For me, it made more sense to just get the larger footprint phones (32GB+) and sync what I want.

Until Apple become a MVNO with unlimited data; not sure this will be of any interest to me.

larrylaffer
Jun 13, 2012, 09:56 PM

>complain about compressed audio source
>uses spotify

cool story bro.

arnette
Jun 13, 2012, 10:12 PM
Sure, that must be it, since you have no other way to imagine it. If you don't understand they must be a whore or a thief. Wonderful.

Personally, I don't get how someone can be ignorant about iTunes Match, which is only $25 per year, while at the same time boasting about spending $120 per year to rent music. <shrug>

Michael[COLOR="#808080"]
Michael
----------

Let's take the 15,000 song example:

10 songs per album = 1500 albums
12 dollars per album = $18,000 in music purchases?

Or, like you said, $120 a year. If I live for 50 more years (wow!) that would only be $6000. And that's access to EVERYTHING in the catalog - not just the 15,000 songs I would have originally had.

So maybe YOU'RE not a music whore. You must have spent the $18,000.

OTACORB
Jun 13, 2012, 10:16 PM
If this holds true for the final release of iOS6, I may actually renew my MM sub.

Tinmania
Jun 13, 2012, 10:21 PM
----------

Or, like you said, $120 a year. If I live for 50 more years (wow!) that would only be $6000. And that's access to EVERYTHING in the catalog - not just the 15,000 songs I would have originally had.

I'm glad you know what I "must" have done, spent, whatever. I won't waste my time explaining to you the difference between buying CDs over the last 25 years versus... Nah, I can see by the caps it would be pointless.

Michael

OTACORB
Jun 13, 2012, 10:24 PM
----------

I think your right for younger folks, but many folks were from a generation when music was purchased. If they already spent the kind of money you are talking about, it would now be pretty stupid to just ignore their library and go with a music service. I can tell you that I probably have about 26 albums that I know of that isn't on any music service and there are many artist now that are withdrawing their support for the all you can eat model. That list is actually growing, because artist are so poorly compensated.

The bottom line is these music service work for some, don't work for others and there are other types of services like Music Match, Google Music and Amazon's Cloud Music. Those services seem to be doing pretty well too. The good news is that we all have choice and what you deem as a waste of money, fits just right for someone else.

I currently have MOG for my music service as in my opinion it kicks the crap out of Spotify. They named it right because most of the genre's I like their library is spotty as best, not to mention the bulk of their library isn't higher quality audio. Don't get me started on all that Karaoke crap in their library. My Music Match service is my back up for my great library of music that I collected during my early years. I haven't purchased music probably in the last 10 years. However, my old library is fantastic and Music Match works for me, especially the fact that it works across my Mac's and iOS devices. My music collection is always with me and its premo.

jctevere
Jun 13, 2012, 10:29 PM
All I can say is, good thing I still have my unlimited data with songs coming in around 7-8MB's... lol.

arnette
Jun 13, 2012, 10:40 PM
I think your right for younger folks, but many folks were from a generation when music was purchased. If they already spent the kind of money you are talking about, it would now be pretty stupid to just ignore their library and go with a music service. I can tell you that I probably have about 26 albums that I know of that isn't on any music service and there are many artist now that are withdrawing their support for the all you can eat model. That list is actually growing, because artist are so poorly compensated.

The bottom line is these music service work for some, don't work for others and there are other types of services like Music Match, Google Music and Amazon's Cloud Music. Those services seem to be doing pretty well too. The good news is that we all have choice and what you deem as a waste of money, fits just right for someone else.

I currently have MOG for my music service as in my opinion it kicks the crap out of Spotify. They named it right because most of the genre's I like their library is spotty as best, not to mention the bulk of their library isn't higher quality audio. Don't get me started on all that Karaoke crap in their library. My Music Match service is my back for my great library of music that I collected during my early years. I have purchased music probably in the last 10 years. However, my old library is fantastic and Music Match works for me.

I appreciate your mediation. And I don't mean that sarcastically. I think you understand my point that only for an extremely small population of iTunes users does iTunes Match do what was intended. To make legally purchased music available throughout the entire iTunes ecosystem via streaming.

HOWEVER. And this is a deliberate use of all-capital-letters.

The vast majority of people using iTunes Match who have over and iPod's worth of songs are either skimming by copyright headaches or can't decide what songs to put on said iPod. Again, math:

3 hrs straight of listening to music = 60 songs at 3 min apiece
365 days listening to 3 hrs a day = 21720 songs (no repeats)

That's impressive. I wish I had kind of free time. (oh but you have free time to comment on this thread??) Yeah, today I do.

But if you don't listen to all of those songs constantly for a year is iTunes Match such a breakthrough thing? Wouldn't discovering all-new songs via a subscription service be a better way to go? Doesn't drumming up interest in an iTunes Subscription make kicking up a stink worthy of this thread?

Spooner83
Jun 13, 2012, 10:58 PM
Is this beta the first of many releases until the golden master, like they usually do before a new iOS is released? or is this the only version before the golden master?

bboucher790
Jun 13, 2012, 10:59 PM
On the surface, this looks great. The big issue? I can't enable iTunes match without it killing my battery. And by killing my battery, I mean MURDERING it. I enable almost every major battery draining setting on my iPhone, but nothing comes close to what iTunes Match, in terms of drainage.

I thought I'd be able to turn on iTunes Match for times I had USB enabled in my car.....but can't do it. Once you enable iTunes match on your iPhone, it screws up your manual syncing with iTunes. It's not like you can turn it on / off at will. It's either always on, or always off :(. Shame really. Maybe in a few years it will be worthwhile, but right now, I use it to backup my music / create 256kb iTunes quality for lower quality songs.

mancub
Jun 13, 2012, 11:02 PM
I feel like a sucker for getting match. Its been nothing but trouble. There's many cases where it matched the wrong song (i.e. foreign version etc.) and now it causes some sort of iPhone error where songs that were once on the cloud but are now local are unplayable. Just freezes at 0:00. I just haven't had time to troubleshoot, but man what a nuisance! :mad:

Shadow%20Mac
Jun 13, 2012, 11:03 PM

You can already stream iTunes Match on your mac...

RulinSmoove
Jun 14, 2012, 12:04 AM

Well said. I was really excited when I read this article, but when I actually tried it, it does the same thing as in iOS 5. As soon as you tap on a song that resides in iCloud, it streams and downloads at the same time. One you switch to a different song, or the song finishes playing, it's stored locally on your device. You can then swipe to delete the song which will remove it from your device and essentially send it back to iCloud.

Roofy.
Jun 14, 2012, 12:14 AM
For those debating whether it streams or it streams and downloads, why dont you just check your free storage before, press play on about 5 or 10 songs, and then check your free storage after.

That will end the debate..........

Dionte
Jun 14, 2012, 12:29 AM
One thing I don't like about iTunes match is that the songs don't show up on a playlist in my car when i have my iPhone connected, only songs I have downloaded can be played, that sucks.

rhett7660
Jun 14, 2012, 12:32 AM

And not be limited to 25K songs! It will have to work pretty damn good in order for me to move off of audiogalaxy.

digitalfx
Jun 14, 2012, 12:40 AM
One thing I don't like about iTunes match is that the songs don't show up on a playlist in my car when i have my iPhone connected, only songs I have downloaded can be played, that sucks.

not anymore...with ios 6, they are all now available in your car.
I now have 18,000 songs on my BMW connected drive. With iOS 5, none of the Match music was available.

pbush25
Jun 14, 2012, 12:55 AM
I have iOS 6 on my iPhone, and I do agree that it is streaming. If it's worth anything to anyone else, I have a super-fast internet connection. Most songs that download will be done in under 30 seconds. Most songs, however, play for much longer than that. The reason I think it is streaming versus downloading is because every once in awhile the swirly thing (can't believe I actually don't know the name of that) goes on and off for a couple seconds, it's not continuos. I feel like if the song was being downloaded it would just go on until the song finished downloading. But that's not the case. It comes in spurts, as if it were being streamed. This can also be detected if you watch the lights on my modem. They occasionally show download activity, not constant when I turn a new song on.

I hope it stays until the release!

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 14, 2012, 01:25 AM
In iOS 6, iTunes Match Actually Supports Both Streaming and Downloading of Music
Yeah, really useful without the support for SD-cards in iDevices. You can see in Apples current iDevices generation, that Apple thinks ahead, because you need a new device, if you want to download large amounts of music (lossless compressed for example). And the best thing (for Apple) is: You pay for the music AND for the new hardware, because you cannot use a SD-card in your iDevices. And why do they support ExFAT in iOS, if they do not support SD-cards?

:rolleyes:

lsvtecjohn3
Jun 14, 2012, 01:27 AM
iTunes Match sucks. I say that because Apple still hasn't fix the explicit/clean problem. I listen to rap and I'd say about 25% of my music is the clean version.

japasneezemonk
Jun 14, 2012, 02:03 AM
You can't compare Itunes Match to Spotify without clarifying the intended purpose of each respective service. Itunes Match is a music locker, whereas Spotify is an unlimited streaming music service. Personally I prefer to buy Music, thus I prefer Itunes Match. I only have a 32GB iPhone and my music library is 65GB. Obviously I'll never listen to all that music, but it's nice to know I have the option, and it will only cost me $25. Spotify doesn't make sense for me because it will cost me 9.99/Month=$119, and I will probably use it to listen to music I already own. I don't listen to Popular Music or most any new music so being able to listen to stuff I don't already own doesn't matter to me. Spotify is nice for music discovery but I can just use the free Spotify App on my MBA if I need to. I also prefer going to websites like pitchfork to find new music, then I just buy the CD's. I find I don't have to worry about my hard drive getting wiped out and losing all my music (another problem Itunes match solves). I like owning stuff, and services like Rdio and Spotify feel like I'm renting what could be ultimately mine If I just payed a few more bucks. It's worse than the rent to own furniture stores here in the US. Also, from my point of view, we only have a limited amount of time to spend on recreational activities. That means that even with the option to listen to anything we want, we probably won't take advantage of the service, thus the idea that services like Spotify offer more value is purely an artificial benefit that that most of us will never see. So why pay?

Astroexe
Jun 14, 2012, 02:10 AM
..ontract on ebay or craigslist. Stop complaining about missing features, you are not supposed to have a phone for longer than 2 years.

Still Running the 3G[S] Perfectly, mate.

AntnyMikal
Jun 14, 2012, 03:10 AM
iTunes Match sucks. I say that because Apple still hasn't fix the explicit/clean problem. I listen to rap and I'd say about 25% of my music is the clean version.

I hate that, I put my explicit version on and when I DL/stream I get a clean version from match. Wtf, a few times I put a clean version in and get an explicit version. Not a Major deal but my wife and kids do clean, I like it dirty and original.

luke.mac1
Jun 14, 2012, 03:56 AM
I'm just waiting for Apple to remove the 25,000 song limit...bit low for me and I don't want to have p create a new iTunes library to use the service.

vmachiel
Jun 14, 2012, 04:26 AM
Yes! Hope the 3GS supports it, so it can function as my home music player:)

musio
Jun 14, 2012, 06:23 AM
I prefer spotify and having access to not only music i own (even if it's not on my iTunes library, but anything else out there.

If Apple had a similar service, pay to listen to anything on iTunes, i'd sign up.

MonkeySee....
Jun 14, 2012, 06:27 AM
This is perfect. I download as usual for the car but at home/or where there is wifi i'll just stream it.

Cool beans

Tiger8
Jun 14, 2012, 07:16 AM

As much as I love Apple, I agree with you.

For me, amazon MP3 wins fair and square, the value is just unbeatable! Over thanksgiving and the holidays you get recent albums for $2, and albums are almost always cheaper than iTunes, plus a lot of occasional free MP3 $$$

Amazon just released cloud player for iOS, so you can stream your music for free on your iPhone.

Shaun, UK
Jun 14, 2012, 07:35 AM
>complain about compressed audio source
>uses spotify

cool story bro.

Maybe I didn't explain myself. I am willing to pay 10/month to Spotify for unlimited streaming of compressed music - but I'm not willing to purchase compressed music through iTunes or anywhere else.

Hopefully you can see the difference. To me Spotify is like listening to music on the radio - I'm willing to put up with the lower quality coz I'm usually listening to it through my computer or a portable radio.

However if it's an album I want to keep, I'll go out and buy the CD so I can listen to it on my hifi. My point was that in order to compete with the likes of Spotify I think iTunes either has to stick with compressed music and offer a subscription service or preferably they would start selling tracks in lossless format. That way I could discover new music on Spotify and if I like the album I would purchase a lossless copy from iTunes rather than buying the CD.

SBlue1
Jun 14, 2012, 07:38 AM
There is no reason you should have any lower than an iPhone 4 once the new iPhone comes out. You will be able to sell your iPhone 4 for the cost of a new one under contract on ebay or craigslist.

When you sell it someone else has the problem. I dont get your logic. :confused:

blybug
Jun 14, 2012, 07:38 AM
On the surface, this looks great. The big issue? I can't enable iTunes match without it killing my battery. And by killing my battery, I mean MURDERING it. I enable almost every major battery draining setting on my iPhone, but nothing comes close to what iTunes Match, in terms of drainage.

I thought I'd be able to turn on iTunes Match for times I had USB enabled in my car.....but can't do it. Once you enable iTunes match on your iPhone, it screws up your manual syncing with iTunes. It's not like you can turn it on / off at will. It's either always on, or always off :(. Shame really. Maybe in a few years it will be worthwhile, but right now, I use it to backup my music / create 256kb iTunes quality for lower quality songs.

I still find it's worth the $25/year for the security of having an online backup as well as effortlessly keeping an additional backup of my music on a second computer/server in the house. But totally agree that the implementation on iDevices is clunky and headachy, the all or nothing approach is not convenient and toggling it leaves a lot of messiness on the device, with syncing, and screws up the album art every time.

Wondering why "iTunes Match" isn't just an icon under "More" in the Music Player, same as "Shared" libraries under Home Sharing. The iTunes Match library is just sitting there in the iCloud, seems you should be able to choose that as your music source without disabling local syncing/storage. The AppleTV treats the iTunes Match library this way, why not an iPhone? Have shut it off on my iDevices until the next iteration and will give it another try.

Shaun, UK
Jun 14, 2012, 07:45 AM
It's great that you want that. I, and I am sure others, do not. I do not want to "rent" music when I already have a collection large enough for my needs (and free regular or streaming radio to discover new stuff).

You don't seem to get the point of Match, however. You see my collection is too large to store on my portable devices. My solution before Match was to sync a playlist that was much smaller than my music collection. That was not a very good solution compared to Match: now I have access to all my music. Plus, it syncs playlists--and any changes made to them--across all devices.

iTunes Match really does compare to Spotify, in my opinion. But if you want to compare on price, since you brought it up, over a year Match is a fraction of what Spotify costs. Seems silly to even compare that. It's like saying my water bill is a fraction of what my car payment is.

EDIT: I didn't touch on the two other aspects of Match, which can be huge. One, the fact that you don't have to upload most of your library. Two, no matter what quality the tracks you have are, you can download 256kbps AAC versions from the cloud. You can keep them even if you do not re-subscribe to Match. For someone who has been ripping CDs since 1998, and was not looking forward to doing the old stuff over again, this was a godsend.

Michael

I can see the advantages of iTunes Match as you say, what I was really saying was that I want Apple to start selling iTunes lossless tracks.

I think it makes sense to stream compressed songs but I simply refuse to buy compressed music. Not now not ever.

My point was that lots of people are moving from iTunes to Spotify because Spotify is cheaper in the long run if you purchase a lot of music and Spotify offers the same audio quality as iTunes then I think iTunes need to offer something better than Spotify - namely lossless tracks.

ghostlyorb
Jun 14, 2012, 07:46 AM
I just use Spotify... it works for me!

thebeautyisfake
Jun 14, 2012, 07:54 AM
You can already stream iTunes Match on your mac...

WRONG. It downloads the file and stores it in a folder.

Mundty
Jun 14, 2012, 07:56 AM
Thank god, the days of needing the largest size iPhone/iPad are over. Access to all 40GB of music, without downloading a single file. Now if we can just get TV & Movies, we'll be on the right track.

kjs862
Jun 14, 2012, 07:58 AM
But do people really want to own their music anymore these day?

I do understand the many benefits of owning music such as offline playback and the ability to share easily, but now that Apple is pushing for a streaming model, I don't think people want to own their music anymore. If you are streaming music, you loose the ability of listen to music offline, so why bother owning it? Yes, I know you do have the option, but come on, they are pushing for a streaming model.

In conclusion, the streaming music model does not go well with owning music model.

I would be curious to see how services like Spotify are doing, I bet great.

TheMythTheMan
Jun 14, 2012, 07:59 AM
Time to "uncancel" my itunes match

BvizioN
Jun 14, 2012, 08:09 AM

I don't understand why you being downvoted! I sold my iPhone 4 after a year and only 68 less then i bought it for, on ebay. I got the new 4s and thats for 68 more. Even an iPhone full of scraches and marks can be recycled for nearly as much as the half of the original price. My iPhone 4s goes on ebay a week before Apple announces the new iPhone. I definitely don't mind paying a little to have the latest.

afurry13
Jun 14, 2012, 08:37 AM
And what model phone do you think the person who is buying your iPhone4 ends up with aye? :rolleyes:

somebody who wasn't smart enough to do their research before they bought it

AustinIllini
Jun 14, 2012, 08:48 AM
Thank god, the days of needing the largest size iPhone/iPad are over. Access to all 40GB of music, without downloading a single file. Now if we can just get TV & Movies, we'll be on the right track.

$25 a year saves you $100+ of larger iPhone.

edonohoo
Jun 14, 2012, 08:51 AM

You are one hundred percent right. This is completely un true. I also tested this on my iOS 6 beta iphone and sure, it doesn't show the cloud icons that let you know its downloading, but sure enough, after you listen to it you can swipe over that song and the delete button appears. This doesn't appear for songs you haven't "streamed" yet. And in the music app in the usage section of settings, there is indeed data there, from the song you downloaded. Hopefully in one of the later betas they actually have real streaming.

Porchland
Jun 14, 2012, 08:56 AM
Personally I wish they would let you put a limit on the amount of space you reserve for music. Eg. 2GB, once reached it can automatically remove the least played songs.

I have sent this suggestion to Feedback probably four times.

phpmaven
Jun 14, 2012, 09:27 AM

I’m sure that you have had some other responses already, but you are wrong. It does indeed stream as I've just tested it myself.

And to those of you who think that the tracks are being deleted when you turn match off. While anything is possible, what would be the point of Apple doing that? They are your own tracks that you own and the whole point of downloading them would be to able to keep them on your device. Just arbitrarily deleting them en masse when you turn match off would pointless and annoying and counter to the whole point of having your tracks in the cloud. I'm not buying it.

iapplelove
Jun 14, 2012, 10:00 AM
This is fantastic!

Dorv
Jun 14, 2012, 10:09 AM
AWESOME! Then I'll finally sign up for Match. Don't have room on my iphone to store much music, but if I can stream it... :D:D

I'm glad your excited for streaming, but I think you would have been fine without it.

Currently, iTunes Match would add and remove music as you downloaded when you needed more room. If you only had, say, a gig available, it would basically use that gig to cache music. When you played something you didn't currently have, it would just make room for it by removing something else.

----------

Pretty sure there's a setting that will resolve that:

In the Music section of settings in iOS, it's called "Show All Music." You want that turned to "On."

(At least on the device itself; can't really say if you're syncing it to a car head unit, which might make my entire point moot, requiring me to go shut up somewhere :) )

afurry13
Jun 14, 2012, 10:17 AM
I'm glad your excited for streaming, but I think you would have been fine without it.

Currently, iTunes Match would add and remove music as you downloaded when you needed more room. If you only had, say, a gig available, it would basically use that gig to cache music. When you played something you didn't currently have, it would just make room for it by removing something else.

----------

Pretty sure there's a setting that will resolve that:

In the Music section of settings in iOS, it's called "Show All Music." You want that turned to "On."

(At least on the device itself; can't really say if you're syncing it to a car head unit, which might make my entire point moot, requiring me to go shut up somewhere :) )

I actually have the same issue with my head unit as well. I think it has to do with the head unit being compatible with itunes match. I think we're out of luck.

legacyb4
Jun 14, 2012, 10:24 AM
A lot of iPhone music apps also don't recognize "matched" (but not downloaded) songs as well...

koolmagicguy
Jun 14, 2012, 10:40 AM

No crap.

tdar
Jun 14, 2012, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure this is true. I set up match and had no songs on the phone. I played an entire album and the available space on my phone dropped. Then I enabled Airplane mode and reopened the music app. The only Album showing was the one that I had played and it would still play with no access to the net. So it may be streaming, but if it is, it's streaming and downloading.

Peepo
Jun 14, 2012, 10:57 AM
In my tests it works pretty much the same as IOS 5 except it does not display icon to indicate if the song has been downloaded or not (it used to have a cloud beside songs not loaded to device).

Previous IOS 5, as with IOS 6, it starts playing the song as soon as it can after selection. In other words, after you select a song from icloud, it starts playing while it continues to download the rest of it in the background. Some may confuse this with streaming but it is not. Subsequent plays of the same song are instant because the track is already loaded to the IOS device and no download occurs (unless you delete it).

To further prove my point try this... play some songs and then turn on Airplane mode. You will then see only the songs that you have previously played/downloaded. This is NOT streaming. The songs do not get re-downloaded every time you play them.

It is possible that Apple is testing some accounts for streaming vs. downloading, or maybe only in US? I am in Canada.

frankjl
Jun 14, 2012, 11:18 AM
Apple is most likely testing a few things.

On my iphone running ios6. Any track I play gets downloaded as orgiinally intended with the service. After I turn off itunes match the music I played is still there and I have to delete it.

On my wifes iphone. Music played is downloaded but when I turn off itunes match the music downloaded/listened to is wiped.

Apple may be trying to improve the hybrid streaming/downloading method.

By the way outr of 6 iphones I tested. 4 behaved like mine. And 2 behaved like my wifes.

Tinmania
Jun 14, 2012, 11:36 AM
I can see the advantages of iTunes Match as you say, what I was really saying was that I want Apple to start selling iTunes lossless tracks.

I think it makes sense to stream compressed songs but I simply refuse to buy compressed music. Not now not ever.

My point was that lots of people are moving from iTunes to Spotify because Spotify is cheaper in the long run if you purchase a lot of music and Spotify offers the same audio quality as iTunes then I think iTunes need to offer something better than Spotify - namely lossless tracks.
I agree on the uncompressed music.... and hope it will come in the near future. Although I rarely buy music from iTunes I have bought some--and downloaded a ton of "free for day" tracks. It was nice that anything pre-iTunes plus format has now been upgraded. I am hoping the same happens with lossless.

It's been more than a quarter of a century since the release of the CD and it is a shame that your typical music sold today is of less quality.

Michael

----------

Never does for me unless I intentionally choose to download, or click the cloud icon to download it. Otherwise it just streams--and it always has (been using iTunes Match since it first went into beta).

Mike

Spacecowboy1
Jun 14, 2012, 11:43 AM
I just hope they fix all the missing artwork and "Unknown Album" bugginess before they add new bells & whistles!

Yes this definatly needs addressing....it drives me crazy!

Defender2010
Jun 14, 2012, 11:54 AM
You are one hundred percent right. This is completely un true. I also tested this on my iOS 6 beta iphone and sure, it doesn't show the cloud icons that let you know its downloading, but sure enough, after you listen to it you can swipe over that song and the delete button appears. This doesn't appear for songs you haven't "streamed" yet. And in the music app in the usage section of settings, there is indeed data there, from the song you downloaded. Hopefully in one of the later betas they actually have real streaming.

Thanks for agreeing! It is true, but some members of this forum are disputed that it downloads songs still...the swines!

----------

I’m sure that you have had some other responses already, but you are wrong. It does indeed stream as I've just tested it myself.

And to those of you who think that the tracks are being deleted when you turn match off. While anything is possible, what would be the point of Apple doing that? They are your own tracks that you own and the whole point of downloading them would be to able to keep them on your device. Just arbitrarily deleting them en masse when you turn match off would pointless and annoying and counter to the whole point of having your tracks in the cloud. I'm not buying it.

I am sorry but I believe I am correct still, but do this simple test for me...

Turn off iTunes Match (it doesn't matter what device you use)

Make sure there is "no data" in the usage area of settings app. (General, Usage, Music,,,,no data)

Turn on iTunes Match (let it load a bit or fully, you decide)

Go to an album and play the first 5 songs then pause or stop the music

Go back to settings and look at "about" and you will see it says you have 5 songs (or 6 if you let the next track start playing for a few seconds).

Go to "usage" and you will see it shows data for music (approx 50MB for 5 songs give or take)

Turn off iTunes Match and the songs you just played will be there still. (in the music app and the settings "about" or "usage"

If you plug into iTunes itself and click the triangle where it says iPad (eg) and it will show you music, books, tones etc...the songs you played will be there too.

This shouldn't happen if it's stream only. I still think the cloud icons have just been removed and maybe they will return. This is how it works on my devices, but as it's a iOS beta results could vary,,,who knows!
Just reading some other responses: I agree, if it downloads, it is not streaming. Google Play streams....takes up no data at all on your device except song metadata) and it does not download at all.

Pikepride2000
Jun 14, 2012, 12:13 PM
I'd really enjoy a tiered pricing system for users that want to sign up for Match with over 25,000 songs in their music library.

Dionte
Jun 14, 2012, 12:25 PM
not anymore...with ios 6, they are all now available in your car.
I now have 18,000 songs on my BMW connected drive. With iOS 5, none of the Match music was available.

It doesn't work in my car in ios 6.

----------

A lot of iPhone music apps also don't recognize "matched" (but not downloaded) songs as well...

I hope they fix this soon, I don't know if I'm gonna re-subscribe.

H3LL5P4WN
Jun 14, 2012, 01:46 PM
But did they fix the clean version only issue? If so, I'm sold

Or the "this item cannot be downloaded at this time" issue.

These are deal breakers. I won't resubscribe until this BS is fixed.

retroactiv
Jun 14, 2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks for agreeing! It is true, but some members of this forum are disputed that it downloads songs still...the swines!

----------

I am sorry but I believe I am correct still, but do this simple test for me...

Turn off iTunes Match (it doesn't matter what device you use)

Make sure there is "no data" in the usage area of settings app. (General, Usage, Music,,,,no data)

Turn on iTunes Match (let it load a bit or fully, you decide)

Go to an album and play the first 5 songs then pause or stop the music

Go back to settings and look at "about" and you will see it says you have 5 songs (or 6 if you let the next track start playing for a few seconds).

Go to "usage" and you will see it shows data for music (approx 50MB for 5 songs give or take)

Turn off iTunes Match and the songs you just played will be there still. (in the music app and the settings "about" or "usage"

If you plug into iTunes itself and click the triangle where it says iPad (eg) and it will show you music, books, tones etc...the songs you played will be there too.

This shouldn't happen if it's stream only. I still think the cloud icons have just been removed and maybe they will return. This is how it works on my devices, but as it's a iOS beta results could vary,,,who knows!
Just reading some other responses: I agree, if it downloads, it is not streaming. Google Play streams....takes up no data at all on your device except song metadata) and it does not download at all.

You are correct sir. The music still downloads. You can see the size in "settings > usage" increase as you play more and more songs. Also, if you disconnect from any wifi or 3g/4g, you can still play the tracks. It's downloading them still. Period. They removed the icons - pure and simple.

tikilab
Jun 14, 2012, 04:12 PM
If you are an iTunes user, it is convenient to have it across all devices. Ratings, Cover Art, metadata, play counts, playlists, etc.

Also, I like coverflow. As someone who is OCD with metadata on my collection I love that I can view it in that manner.

Unfortunately, six months after it was launched, iTunes Match still has many bugs concerning metadata like ratings, cover art, and play counts. Check this thread in Apple's support forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3495653

The play count bug really, er, bugs me as most of my iPod playlists are based on play count.

digitalfx
Jun 14, 2012, 07:27 PM
It doesn't work in my car in ios 6.

what kind of car? Working fine on the latest BMW

djst
Jun 14, 2012, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=Tinmania;15040335]I agree on the uncompressed music.... and hope it will come in the near future. Although I rarely buy music from iTunes I have bought some--and downloaded a ton of "free for day" tracks. It was nice that anything pre-iTunes plus format has now been upgraded. I am hoping the same happens with lossless.

It's been more than a quarter of a century since the release of the CD and it is a shame that your typical music sold today is of less quality

+1
If you are paying for the music,it would be nice to atleast get the quality it was recorded in, not a lower compressed format.
I understand portable devices size capabilties and streaming options, but the choice to have the original quality or lossless should not be a luxury in todays society.

TelegraphRoad
Jun 14, 2012, 08:50 PM
Perhaps this was already mentioned but Match streams to iTunes and downloads to IOS devices. Load iTunes on any computer, and activate Match. It will not download unless you specifically request. Playing music from iCloud simply steams.

twoodcc
Jun 14, 2012, 09:30 PM
That's cool. Not a big deal for me, but nice to know i have a choice

Tinmania
Jun 14, 2012, 09:59 PM
Perhaps this was already mentioned but Match streams to iTunes and downloads to IOS devices. Load iTunes on any computer, and activate Match. It will not download unless you specifically request. Playing music from iCloud simply steams.
Yes it was mentioned. But as usual when it comes to Match, someone chimed in and claimed it always downloads for them. Read my reply to thebeautyisfake on the previous page of this thread.

Michael

RollTide1017
Jun 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
I just wish they'd add an option to force a song to upload. I love movie scores and have many newly remastered albums that have tracks that were matched to the original (non-remastered) versions in iTunes. There is an obvious quality difference and it sucks, I wish I could force the remastered tracks to upload instead of matching.

Yuusharo
Jun 15, 2012, 04:39 PM
You are correct sir. The music still downloads. You can see the size in "settings > usage" increase as you play more and more songs. Also, if you disconnect from any wifi or 3g/4g, you can still play the tracks. It's downloading them still. Period. They removed the icons - pure and simple.

There's one difference - if you turn off iTunes Match, your downloaded music will be removed from the phone. In iOS 5, the music sticks around until you go into your usage settings and manually deleted all your music after you turn off iTunes Match.

This is mainly a UX tweak - makes it easier to turn off (and remove) iTunes Match music and cleans up the interface within the music player. I wonder if removing the cloud icon will make downloading individual songs from playlists more difficult. Maybe a "tap and hold" gesture will work?

liquidsuns
Jun 16, 2012, 12:00 AM
Yeah this isn't true. The music is still downloading. Go to settings-general-about, and you will see the number of songs increasing as you play more.

No change from iOS 5 except there is no cloud icon by undownloaded songs.

Dionte
Jun 16, 2012, 09:00 AM
what kind of car? Working fine on the latest BMW

Buick

LeGacY X
Jun 16, 2012, 11:30 AM
If this turns out to be completely true, It could make iTunes match a mobile music game changer!:D

digitalfx
Jun 16, 2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah this isn't true. The music is still downloading. Go to settings-general-about, and you will see the number of songs increasing as you play more.

No change from iOS 5 except there is no cloud icon by undownloaded songs.

I can assure you that with ios5, my vehicle did not see any of the Match Music, but with ios6 I now have access to all my match music.

liquidsuns
Jun 16, 2012, 07:00 PM
I can assure you that with ios5, my vehicle did not see any of the Match Music, but with ios6 I now have access to all my match music.

I don't understand what you are saying. Do you mean that it didn't show your Matched Music on iOS 5 unless it was already downloaded? There is an option to hide the songs you haven't downloaded, both in ios 5 and 6.

I guarantee you that it is still downloading the music and not just streaming it. You can easily figure this out in two ways; the amount of songs on your device will increase as you listen to music, and after you listen to a song, go into airplane mode and play it again....it will still play, which means it has been downloaded onto the device.

liquidsuns
Jun 16, 2012, 07:31 PM
I don't understand what you are saying. Do you mean that it didn't show your Matched Music on iOS 5 unless it was already downloaded? There is an option to hide the songs you haven't downloaded, both in ios 5 and 6.

I guarantee you that it is still downloading the music and not just streaming it. You can easily figure this out in two ways; the amount of songs on your device will increase as you listen to music, and after you listen to a song, go into airplane mode and play it again....it will still play, which means it has been downloaded onto the device.

Plus, I just noticed, the "download all" button underneath the album art goes away if you listen to all the artist's songs, indicating that it has downloaded all the songs.

It's pretty conclusive that iTunes Match on ios 6 is still downloading everything you listen to.

britboyj
Jun 16, 2012, 10:55 PM
Too bad, so sad. I won't be renewing my iTunes Match subscription this year unless they actually let it download album art.

Tinmania
Jun 17, 2012, 12:51 PM
Too bad, so sad. I won't be renewing my iTunes Match subscription this year unless they actually let it download album art.
It always... err, "sometimes" did show album art for me--if I already had it in iTunes and the moon was in its 3rd phase.

What I don't get, and for the life me don't know why something this trivial has taken so long, is lyrics.

Michael

steviem
Jun 19, 2012, 11:49 AM
This has been working for me pretty nicely so far. I'm going to want to get the next iPhone with LTE when it comes out of beta though. Sprint's 3G is a little slow, but saying that, streaming (I guess playing while it's downloading) is going a bit quicker than in iOS5 and there is less of a pronounced pause between each song now.

Tinmania
Jun 19, 2012, 12:09 PM
This has been working for me pretty nicely so far. I'm going to want to get the next iPhone with LTE when it comes out of beta though. Sprint's 3G is a little slow, but saying that, streaming (I guess playing while it's downloading) is going a bit quicker than in iOS5 and there is less of a pronounced pause between each song now.
I have noticed the speed increase as well. Welcomed improvement!

iTunes Match was so slow on my 4S before iOS 6 that I turned it off and just synced through iTunes. Even songs that were already downloaded would take forever to begin playing, or fail to play altogether. So far not seeing any of that on 6.0.

Michael

cvam1985
Jun 29, 2012, 11:02 AM

The only iTunes music I can find on my hard drive is the songs I've downloaded in playlists.

If I double click a song that is not locally stored, it will stream and play in iTunes. I search my entire hard drive and don't see the song I just streamed anywhere.

Yeah, I think it's streaming.

If you click the cloud next to a song, then it will download.

Tinmania
Jun 29, 2012, 11:33 AM
The only iTunes music I can find on my hard drive is the songs I've downloaded in playlists.

If I double click a song that is not locally stored, it will stream and play in iTunes. I search my entire hard drive and don't see the song I just streamed anywhere.

Yeah, I think it's streaming.

If you click the cloud next to a song, then it will download.
You are correct. iTunes does in fact stream when iTunes Match is on. It only downloads if you want to. I wish it was the same on iOS.

Oh, iTunes Match seems to have taken a turn for the worse on 6.0 beta 2 (for me). Previously I could sync via iTunes to "preload" my iPhone without needing to download from the cloud. When turning on Match on the iPhone, despite the warning, it didn't delete that synced music. Better yet, it left the lyrics in place, which are not available from the cloud with Match.

But now turning on Match completely wipes any existing music. I wish there was an option for it not to do that, particularly since now there is no way to have any lyrics if using Match.

Michael

baleensavage
Jun 29, 2012, 01:35 PM
Could not agree more, I signed up for Match today thinking I'd save some space but it's absolutely horrible. If you are used to being able to get to your music right away and have the ipod experience on your phone you will be very dissapointed. I couldn't believe it actually deletes all your music from your phone and then you have to redownload it. I know I should have read a little closer beforehand but I didn't expect apple to put out something so horrible. Hopefully they'll make a ton of improvements. So far it's way easier to use DropBox and the SongBox player.
Yep. Plus with Amazon's recently released cloud player, there is simply no reason to use iTunes Match except to update those old DRM tracks to newer versions.

superslothable
Jun 30, 2012, 09:11 AM
Does streaming work with movies/ tv shows?

cvam1985
Jun 30, 2012, 03:35 PM
Beta 2 has made not only iTunes match, but also Music and any media playback (like watching a video that's in the camera roll) pretty unstable.

Watching a movie doesn't have volume controls. Pressing volume down takes me to the camera (?). Also the multi-tasking tray won't appear with a double click.

Music is pretty bad at this point for me. It does seem Match is streaming now, and the quality is horrible on my car speakers. Even after the song completes, a replay sounds horrible. I actually preferred the "download only" of iOS 5. If I didn't want a song locally stored, I'd simply swipe to delete.

Cover art, etc is just as bad now as it was in iOS 5. Beta 1 seemed to make the Match issues like that much better.

Just my 2 on it all.

You are correct. iTunes does in fact stream when iTunes Match is on. It only downloads if you want to. I wish it was the same on iOS.

Oh, iTunes Match seems to have taken a turn for the worse on 6.0 beta 2 (for me). Previously I could sync via iTunes to "preload" my iPhone without needing to download from the cloud. When turning on Match on the iPhone, despite the warning, it didn't delete that synced music. Better yet, it left the lyrics in place, which are not available from the cloud with Match.

But now turning on Match completely wipes any existing music. I wish there was an option for it not to do that, particularly since now there is no way to have any lyrics if using Match.

Michael

Pagemakers
Sep 20, 2012, 06:46 AM
Now iOS6 is out if I play a track and then turn off music match the songs I have played are still there. They have downloaded and not streamed.

Worse still, there is no way to delete them.

Iceage
Sep 20, 2012, 06:56 AM
Subscribe to Rdio, it solves most of your problems.

subsonix
Sep 20, 2012, 07:32 AM
It's an interesting option, but streaming is more expensive in terms of battery drain and obviously data usage, if you pay for it.

MonkeySee....
Sep 20, 2012, 07:50 AM
So I "streamed" music from iTunes Match and then went to settings and turned off "Show All Music" which leaves music that has been "DOWNLOADED". Went to the Music App and all the music that I had stream were there taking up 182MB of space.

I don't think this is working as expected. :confused:

Iceage
Sep 20, 2012, 08:01 AM
It's an interesting option, but streaming is more expensive in terms of battery drain and obviously data usage, if you pay for it.

You don't need to stream. You have the option to download the tunes to your device. My wife uses her iPod touch with this service and it works well.

subsonix
Sep 20, 2012, 08:04 AM
You don't need to stream. You have the option to download the tunes.

Yes I know, just thought that I should mention that streaming has some disadvantages that may not be immediately obvious. I like that the option is available, as it can be convenient in some cases.

Iceage
Sep 20, 2012, 08:26 AM
Yes I know, just thought that I should mention that streaming has some disadvantages that may not be immediately obvious. I like that the option is available, as it can be convenient in some cases.

Maybe I misunderstand your post but you don't need to stream. You have the option to download the music to your device just like buying a song from iTunes ( when subscribed to their $9.99 premium service).

Pagemakers
Sep 26, 2012, 01:25 PM
Says it all here in the iPhone 5 manual released by Apple...

srednivashtar
Sep 28, 2012, 02:39 AM
I have ONE song from an album purchased from iTunes that is corrupted. I deleted it from mbpro and iph5. I then pulled a pristine copy from external drive and put that in iTunes. That was ok till I synced phone the next day. I think the good file was overwritten by the corrupt copy on the cloud. So...how can I delete the corrupt file from the cloud? I do not have iTunes Match. Don't want to.

Mal
Sep 28, 2012, 09:44 AM
I have ONE song from an album purchased from iTunes that is corrupted. I deleted it from mbpro and iph5. I then pulled a pristine copy from external drive and put that in iTunes. That was ok till I synced phone the next day. I think the good file was overwritten by the corrupt copy on the cloud. So...how can I delete the corrupt file from the cloud? I do not have iTunes Match. Don't want to.

If you don't have iTunes Match, it's not being overwritten by anything in the cloud. Sounds more like there's a problem with the files. If you purchased it from iTunes, you can redownload it from the cloud, which would be your better course of action. Go into the store, go to your purchase history, and download the album again.

jW

stevelam
Oct 8, 2012, 12:03 PM
Can't believe iTunes match is still ****. Google music has been WAY better and free.

OTACORB
Oct 8, 2012, 04:11 PM
Can't believe iTunes match is still ****. Google music has been WAY better and free.

Yeah especially they part where it takes several days to upload it to their server because they can't do match. That is just so fantastic!

MonkeySee....
Oct 9, 2012, 04:59 AM
Music videos in the Videos.app work exactly like they used to in iOS5.

e.g. listen to the track, swipe to delete and the cloud icon shows up waiting for it to be downloaded/listened to again.

Why did they take this out of the Music.app but not the Video.app? :confused:

Pagemakers
Oct 9, 2012, 05:15 AM
...Because in iOS6 they lost the plot.

kyk0
Oct 9, 2012, 07:10 AM
itunes match in ios6 is total crap.
1. no single track download
2. no deleting of songs and albums!!!!!!!
3. 3G bug: if you start downloading in wifi and go to 3G it will use 3G even if your settings disables it.

I am not renewing my membership if it doesn't turn around..

MonkeySee....
Oct 9, 2012, 07:15 AM
...Because in iOS6 they lost the plot.

but video.app still works in ios6 like it did in ios5. its bizarre

kyk0
Oct 9, 2012, 07:33 AM
but video.app still works in ios6 like it did in ios5. its bizarre

Well but video management is different: you have videos that go through itunes match and videos that are added through itunes (i.e. personal videos).

MonkeySee....
Oct 9, 2012, 07:56 AM
Well but video management is different: you have videos that go through itunes match and videos that are added through itunes (i.e. personal videos).

I know how iTunes Match works, I've had it since day 1. :)

here are some pics for you....

http://i.imgur.com/2C1W1.png

http://i.imgur.com/FiQpf.png

http://i.imgur.com/3XADW.png

http://i.imgur.com/czgZM.png

Back to normal...

http://i.imgur.com/2C1W1.png

kyk0
Oct 9, 2012, 08:27 AM
I know how iTunes Match works, I've had it since day 1. :)

here are some pics for you....

/cut

Back to normal...

Image (http://i.imgur.com/2C1W1.png)

Monkey I have no doubt you know how it works. I just meant that while the music app can only be synced via itunes match, the video app needs to serve other purposes, that might explain why they now function a bit differently.

I still hope they revert the music app to the old functioning.

stevelam
Oct 10, 2012, 12:00 PM
Yeah especially they part where it takes several days to upload it to their server because they can't do match. That is just so fantastic!

who cares? once the initial upload is done, thats all there is to it.

and now i have no problem streaming from ANY of my devices from anywhere and any machine i want since i can access my whole library from any web browser. i can freely delete/edit/id3/change album art anything i want directly in the cloud.

but hey, if you want to pay for an inferior service that requires you to constantly delete songs from your phone and can't access your stream from anywhere but your own machines (which pretty much defeats the purpose of 'in the cloud'), go for it.

blybug
Oct 10, 2012, 12:15 PM
Wondering why they don't implement it like Photos.app accesses "Photo Stream" - just another tab in the Music.app where you choose to stream your iTunes Match library from the cloud on the fly any time. :apple:TV also sees iTunes Match as a separate entity this way. It should just be like your very own Pandora, ready for you to play/stream whenever you want, not requiring a System Prefs level toggle.

The forced all-or-nothing Match vs local, especially when the change from one to the other leaves an unpredictable mishmash of songs on/off the device and corrupts the artwork every time is unacceptable. Would like to choose to play locally while driving on 4G, but immediately flip to Match when I get to work with WiFi.

Having said that, I find the $25/year price perfectly acceptable just for the match upgrade to 256, the effortless remote backup, and the auto-sync between my main laptop and my home server which is an additional local backup. Getting the iOS gadgets to "just work" as they should will be nice whenever it happens, but I was really expecting iOS6 to bring that fix.