Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warp Coil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
MD, USA
I'm new to the boards but I figured this was the best place to ask the question. I recently purchased Jaguar (for only $20 at my school... we have a great software licensing deal for students and faculty). I am mulling over whether or not to upgrade because I am afraid that it will make my computer worse instead of better.

I currenly have a PowerMac G4 466mhz with 769MB of RAM (and I just ordered another 512MB) and a 30GB hard drive. I've been running OS 9.2 for quite some time now. It's not perfect but works okay most of the time. I have trouble with the computer freezing up and giving me little problems. Things that I can't seem to get rid of. I was thinking that upgrading to Jaguar might make things better and more stable.

I purchased my G4 last year, when the first release of OS X came out. So I have both OS 9.2 and OS 10.0.3 on my computer (they were pre-installed). I tried using OS X the other day and it was sloooooooow. The computer started up okay, and OS X started up fine, but it took forever to load the "classic mode". And the programs seemed a little slower than on OS 9. This worried me.

Does Jaguar fix problems with the earlier version of OS X? Is it any faster? Does it work with "classic" better? My computer isn't the fastest in the world and I do not want to make it any slower than it already is. I also don't want to deal with the computer freezing or crashing as it moves back and forth between the OS X applications and "classic" applications, or while I"m surfing the web or something.

Then there's the whole issue of how Jaguar would interact with my printer, scanner, and DSL modem. Hell, I don't even know if OS X would interfere with my DSL service.

I'm sorry to bug people about my concerns but I really don't want to make a mistake. I'd love to have the money to just buy a brand new G4 with dual processors and Jaguar pre-installed, but I don't have money to fork over for a new computer when I just bought this one last year.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
i have a similarly configured tower with jaguar with jaguar. i like it. you have basically figured os x out. slower but more stable

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Go ahead and install it. It would really kick butt with a 32 MB or higher Video Card, and if you can afford it, later on you can always add more RAM and/or a CPU upgrade. Your DSL should work fine, but I'm not sure about your other programs and peripherals. If you don't like it, you can always reboot into 9, and set that to be the default start-up OS.

Depending on what you do, 10.2 should be a little slower (than 9.2, but faster than 10.0), but the extra features and stability more than make up for it. You can always dual boot. It's fairly easy. And classic is pretty good. With that much RAM, you should be fine for most things (OS X is very RAM hungry, but it uses it well).

For $20, you can't beat it.

sandro

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2002
San Francisco
GO FOR IT!

At first I wasn't going to updrade either, until I read an article on a mag i got where someone upgraded an old Powerbook and he was happy with the results. I have a beige 266mhz Minitower G3 with 160mb of RAM, so you can imagine how hesitant I was to upgrade. I do web design and i use Photoshop 7, golive and other apps, under OS 9.2.2 i was fine but could not have Photoshop, GoLive and my browser open at the same time (not enough memory), after i upgraded to Jaguar I could have photoshop 7, Golive 6, Image Ready 7, Netscape, Explorer and Illustrator 10 at the same time, granted, it is a little slower at time but I can have all my apps open and it doen't crash, i don't know how the OS does it, IT'S GREAT!!. but 10.2 is definately BETTER than any previous version of X.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
classic under 10.2 is much better than previous os x releases. classic loads in about half the time it did in 10.1(as far as boot time is concerned, my g3 imac starts up more quickly in 10.2 than 9.2). i think that you'll be pleasantly surprised at the usability of 10.2 over 10.0 on your g4.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
I have 10.1.5 running on a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet 233 with 192 Mb of ram. It runs fine, although i do nopt use it as my primary machine. Also i upgraded to a better, larger, quicker hard drive which has helped a good deal. I use photoshop on it for routine things and it is fine as lo0ng as i do not try to use extremely intensive filters. I have 10.2 and just installed it on my 933 G4, but have not tried it yet on my PowerBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.