Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
A friend of mine called me today and wants to learn programming and I suggested to start with C and I would help him. But he has a 2.5 ghz Mac Pro from 2005 running 10.4.x. It's to old for apps but a perfect machine for C.

Is there a way to get old versions of xcode for 10.4.x still? Since I am use to Xcode and he lives in Texas (1200 miles away from me) It would be easier if he had an old version like ver 2 or 3 maybe?

Can I find an old version of it some place?

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Have your friend create a free OS X developer account. On the Mac Dev Center page is a link that says 'View All Downloads'. Select that. In the screen that appears I placed, Xcode 2, in the search box and limited my search to Developer Tools. It looks to me like your friend will be limited to Xcode 2.5 as 3.0 and above require newer OS X versions. So download both the release notes and the tools via the provided links from the search.

He'll need to realize he is 3 versions behind the current release and 4 versions come next month with the release of 10.8. He may have a harder time finding appropriate books. He also can't develop for iOS.

kryten2

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2012
Belgium
A 2.5 ghz Mac Pro to old for apps?
That machine runs Leopard just fine. Perhaps time for an upgrade? I'm on a 1.42GHz Mac mini and have no problem running small apps made with Xcode 3.x. Has he looked on his Tiger disks? I know for sure it is on Leopard's. All other links on Google suggest you need to register on their developer site to get the old versions.

Edit: Looks like I'm getting slow. See the other posters answers.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Perfect! I will check my Tiger disk or have him register as a developer and get version 2.5 of Xcode.

UPDATE: It is only for C. His end result is Android mbut he is starting to learn using C. Xcode is what I am comfortable with so I can answer any questions he has. Plus the book he has which I recommended "Learn C on the Mac" uses Xcode to teach it.

He has no extra cash to upgrade his system at the moment but this should work fine.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
That machine runs Leopard just fine.

But there is no 2.5 GHz Mac Pro. I suspect that it's actually a Power Mac G5, which as you say will run Leopard (10.5) without any issues. If it is indeed a Power Mac then that's the last version it will run, whereas if it's a Mac Pro then it'll also run 10.6 and 10.7.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Ya that is what I meant. I could not think of what they called them back them. it was a G5. I am so use to calling them Mac Pro's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.