Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Hey guys, i've finally decided that i'm going to order a base 13 inch Air with 8gb of ram & 128gb of storage. That 128 gb is going to be a bit tight with my extensive music and photo library. I do have all of those things on an external Hard drive i bought a little over a year ago (Western Digital Passport with USB 3 support, thank god the Mac finally adopted it) and i wanted to know if anyone else has the same set up i'm going to have; An Air with apps installed on it and and external hard drive with all media on it. Please share. Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hey guys, i've finally decided that i'm going to order a base 13 inch Air with 8gb of ram & 128gb of storage. That 128 gb is going to be a bit tight with my extensive music and photo library. I do have all of those things on an external Hard drive i bought a little over a year ago (Western Digital Passport with USB 3 support, thank god the Mac finally adopted it) and i wanted to know if anyone else has the same set up i'm going to have; An Air with apps installed on it and and external hard drive with all media on it. Please share. Thanks
My iTunes library won't all fit on my internal MBP drive, so I keep the music & movies I like most on the internal, so it's with me when I travel, with the rest on external drives.

How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I just recently purchased the same drive. The only thing I will keep on my MBA is my iTunes library and documents. Everything else I will keep on that external drive.

The drive seems really convenient because it's small and doesn't require separate power.... and usb 3 :)

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
yeah, i copied all my stuff off the computer im on now (doesn't have USB 3; only 2) to transfer onto my incoming Air yesterday and it took over 2 hours to transfer 77gb worth of data to the drive. If USB 3 is 10 faster than USB 2, it should take me about 12 minutes to transfer all of that to the Mac if i wanted to. Isn't it crazy with the amount of data people deal with?

dlbmacfan

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Just bought a Western Digital 500GB My Passport today for my brand new MBA ultimate. The USB 3.0 interface is extremely fast; I cloned my entire Macintosh HD in a couple of minutes. When used as a boot drive, My Passport is totally usable. You should have no problem storing your media on the external drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.