Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I'm thinking hard about getting an 11" or 13" mba. One thing that I keep thinking about is the upcoming Airplay to Apple TV feature.

Does this new feature make you want to get an 11"? Now when I am sitting on the couch, will I be watching my laptop on my flatscreen making the smaller screen size of the 11" less of a factor when deciding between the 11 and 13?

What do you think?

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
How often will it be used on your tv honestly? Throw away the initial excitement of AirPlay mirroring and realistically think how much you'd use it

Personally I went for the 13. As my main laptop a 11 is just too small for my liking.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Air play is what I am most excited about, but don't plan on using it for actual pc use on my tv. It will be amazing not having to have air video running on my laptop and then use AirPlay from my phone. Also not having to convert everything.

Lindberg

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Denmark, Aarhus
Do you think Air Play mirroring a 1080p signal from a MBA to Apple TV will work smooth and flawless?

Cause when I am using DLNA to stream from my MBP to my Panasonic TV, it wont stream HD-material smoothly unless I plug a network cable into my MBP. There is no problem streaming SD-materiel wireless via DLNA though.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Do you think Air Play mirroring a 1080p signal from a MBA to Apple TV will work smooth and flawless?

Cause when I am using DLNA to stream from my MBP to my Panasonic TV, it wont stream HD-material smoothly unless I plug a network cable into my MBP. There is no problem streaming SD-materiel wireless via DLNA though.

Right now I use the app air video and stream it from mac to my phone via live conversion (in the app) and then air play it from my phone to the tv and the picture looks like 720p and has zero lag. I would imagine mirroring will be the se without having to go through my phone

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
If you play a full hd movie in quicktime or vlc and use airplay mirroring, is the output resolution 1366x768 (11" Air) or 1920×1080 (full hd)?

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
I'm super excited about AirPlay for one, but still went with a 13" as I'm replacing my 13" MB 2008. The 11" is just too small for me. I got rid of cable about a year ago and now only use the AppleTV, so when I can't find something to watch there and need to mirror, I can use my iPad but of course that only works on non-flash based websites. Now I'll pretty much be able to watch anything I want as long as it's on the web.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If you play a full hd movie in quicktime or vlc and use airplay mirroring, is the output resolution 1366x768 (11" Air) or 1920×1080 (full hd)?

it is the HD resolution. I mirror it from my phone and it definitely doesn't take on the phone resolution. Now, I don't know if there will be a difference using airplay mirroring or using air video and mirroring it that way. I feel like if you mirror the desktop, it may play it in the 1366x768 resolution. I guess we will just have to see when ML comes out, but for now air video 100% plays it at your tv resoltion in HD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.