Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I've been cleaning up recently and came across an old Windows 98SE CD and activation code.

Right now I only have a MacBook Pro running Lion. Is there any way to check if the code works? I'd like to sell it on eBay or something but want to make sure it's still good before selling.

If anything, I'm guessing downloading a demo or Parallels would work?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I doubt if MS care at all...If you want house it, then just install...Support is third party only and has been for a long time...i threw all my 98 stuff out a l long time ago.

Folks are still clinging on to XP, particularly gamers but SE? The code itself should work though.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Thanks. I've seen some sell on eBay for about $25 (crazy, eh?). I just don't want to sell it then the guy says he can't activate it.

Although, the XP I bought in 2001, which has been activated probably 20 times, never gives me any issues.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
$25..:eek: I wish I'd known...you could have had my copies for zip:)

They were Buy it Nows and New In Box. I'm not really looking to make a bunch, but $5 is better than nothing, and it keeps it out of land fills. Just as long as I don't goof up on shipping charges.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
They were Buy it Nows and New In Box. I'm not really looking to make a bunch, but $5 is better than nothing, and it keeps it out of land fills. Just as long as I don't goof up on shipping charges.

I'm kinda curious as to who runs 98SE? and why? It's so dead...I can understand XP....(I have 2 OEM copies...Dead, tied to the Logic Boards of long dead machines) It's the gamers choice....But I can't think of a single reason for wanting to own 98?

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I'm kinda curious as to who runs 98SE? and why? It's so dead...I can understand XP....(I have 2 OEM copies...Dead, tied to the Logic Boards of long dead machines) It's the gamers choice....But I can't think of a single reason for wanting to own 98?

I was wondering that too. I wasn't expecting for them to sell for much, if any.

Just an example of outdated stuff, I recently sold some high gain Linksys antennas. They were sold new for like $79. I got $2.75 for them. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.