Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omr

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
bump

I'm looking at it too. The radiation reduction tech is supposed to be legit, at least as far as the tests show.
I think the juries out on whether it boosts performance. I've seen some reviews that say/show the design of the new ipad case to be a bit rough though, in terms of the function as a case by itself. I was thinking about getting it and just taking the radiation shield out and attaching it to a better case if the case starts to breakdown...

I might buy the rugged iphone case for my wife... it's look pretty good.

http://www.pongresearch.com/

Last edited:

agallowa

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Citrus Heights, CA
Here is my review of the Pong case for the New iPad:

7458917630_fa90baae21_c.jpg

7458918242_5ff73acd1d_c.jpg

Pong has great intentions with everything they are trying to do to not only improve your device but also give it great protection as well. They aim to protect you from the harmful radiation that can come from using your iPhone or iPad daily that over time can be fairly bad for you. On top of that they also claim to have the technology to increase your signal strength which is a huge plus.

7458919028_23596cee28_c.jpg

The last review we did on their iPhone case was hit and miss. I couldn’t prove that the case was actually reducing the harmful radiation coming from your iPhone but that doesn’t mean it won’t. But for the price you’re paying for the case it would be nice if there was some way of proving or disproving that claim other than just taking their word for it.

7458919378_159feaf52f_c.jpg

The packaging for all Pong products is always impressive. You get a very elegant and simplistic unboxing experience from start to finish which is very refreshing. Nothing is worse than paying a premium for a product and getting it in a flimsy cardboard box.

7458919744_d00a7db868_c.jpg

Things unfortunately stay the same in regards to the radiation but other than that the case performed very well and was a joy to use. The improved signal strength they say the case provides is right on and I can confirm does work. On average I got an extra bar signal while using the iPad in the house, at the office and out around town. This is one thing Pong does consistently deliver on with both their iPhone case and this iPad case.

7458920460_4c56bbb3bc_c.jpg

Upon getting the case out of the box you can tell it was made with top of the line materials. The leather used is very soft and smells great. The entire front origami cover is wrapped in the leather with a very soft suede interior.

7458921982_837e5654d9_c.jpg

7458922372_180bc61145_c.jpg

Moving to the back the leather continues to the middle portion of the case while the border of the case is a matte rubber material that gives a good grip to the case while holding it in your hands. The embossed Pong logo is seen on the back which is very minimal and fly’s under the radar which is nice.

7458923098_06b295bdfc_c.jpg

The inside of the case is lined with an extremely soft suede fabric that is one of the softest I have seen yet. The entire interior of the back cover and origami front is lined in this same grey suede material which is a very nice touch leaving your iPad very well protected in that soft suede goodness.

7458924328_469d741692_c.jpg

The iPad fits very nicely into the back cover with ease. It snaps in at each corner of the case securely without being too tight or too loose. While the back cover is slim you can tell it is more durable than a normal back you might be used to that is very slim. You can tell the case is going to withstand any wear and tear you might throw at it.

7458924686_73436b8e7d_c.jpg

With the iPad installed it gives a very nice slim solid feeling and I had no worries if a drop would hurt the back cover and the iPad. Once thing that I do have to knock on the origami front case is that while holding the iPad horizontal with the front case downwards it does not hold to the iPad with the magnets used. I believe this is because first of all the magnets are not strong enough but the origami style front cover is harder to keep fastened to the screen since it has the extra folds in it. This is a big knock on the case in my opinion since the front cover securely holding to the screen is one of the most important features this style of case.

7458921664_4199f6bc27_c.jpg

The corners of the case leave no gap at all where the iPad meets. The back portion of the model shown is for the 4G model so there is a cutout for the antenna to show through. The volume rocker and mute switch are easily accessible with a generous cutout. Same goes for your dock connector it is easy to access and no issues with charging your iPad. The speaker is securely covered with a nice grill in case you may bump or knock the back of your iPad in the speaker area.

7458926186_aca7318be9_c.jpg

A benefit of the origami style front cover is the many stand positions it provides. There are 4 total different stand positions you can use which is great. You have your normal typing position which works great and holds identical to an Apple Smart Cover. You can also set it up in a landscape viewing position similar to the Apple Smart Cover as well that you are already familiar with.

7458926538_ebb68fff27_c.jpg

The next angle you can use is a landscape viewing angle that is really easy to do just by touching the corners of the cover together letting the magnets catch and leaning the iPad back on this supported area. I liked this viewing angle very much since it was so easy to do and left the iPad very secure with no wiggle or worry about it falling over.

7458925420_d9234d8da1_c.jpg

7458925836_273af4a5e7_c.jpg

7458925056_33c925c6e1_c.jpg

7458929668_24b69098e5_c.jpg

The last angle is a portrait view which was fairly easy to set up as well. However it was a little less sturdy that the other viewing angles shown before it. It did work and could be used I just don’t know if I would count on it holding as well as the others. All in all it is a very cool and unique way of standing your iPad up if you need a good portrait view.

7458932388_9f6ceb5663_c.jpg

7458931974_dd55481d19_c.jpg

While the construction and materials of the Pong case are one of the best I have seen yet it’s not to the level of the price they are asking for it. They could easily drop the price to about half of what they are charging and it would make much more sense. All that being said if you do want a very nicely constructed case that’s going to last a long time and give you the benefits of what Pong provides in regards to radiation and signal strength all while having a case that’s going to give you various stand options just be prepared to pay a premium for it. I do applaud Pong for the execution of the case it’s one of the nicest I have used I just think it should come in at a lower price point so it could be enjoyed by more people.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
Great review. I have the Pong Case for my New iPad 4G. I have been using this case for 3 months now. I really like the case but here are my complaints and these will probably keep me away from Pong Cases for iPads in the future:

The Leather: the material is of good quality, but in my opinion it should be a bit more durable for the price of the case. Then again, its leather and this happens. For example, where the Pong sign is on the back of the case there I have some wear and the wear is white. It's not bad and I could probably it polish in it but I wonder what it will look like after a year of use.

The Rubber: the rubberized part of the case is great but again, the wear is a bit disappointing. I am seeing the plastic underneath in many areas. The rubber is very him. I expect things to wear but not so fast under normal use. I dont baby my electronics but don't abuse them either. I take care of them. Again, especially for the money, I would expect the rubber to be a bit thicker and more durable.

Radiation Protection (for those who buy into its health effects and have some concern like myself): As Agallowa mentioned there is no way to test it to see how much it is working or if you have a dud. However, there is nothing that can be done about this and I trust that the company has tested these and has good quality control. My biggest question however is how much I am actually being protected. Pong for the phone makes perfect sense because the radiation is redirected from the front of the ohone, that is near your head, to out the back of the phone. Great idea and makes perfect sense how this would be beneficial.

Now to the iPad. The case works the same way. The only issue is that we don't use our iPads near our heads. Most sit a with their heads a decent viewing distance from the device. That leads me to question if the protection is really even necessary. Secondly, if you use your iPad on your lap and the radiation is redirected out the back, wouldn't you be getting hit with radiation anyway? I think it's worth mentioning I am trying to use my own common sense with this. If anyone actually has real working knowledge about this please correct my statements. If your buying the cover for purposes of radiation protection alone I would suggest that you just buy a good $50 case and do the following: when you are online make sure you use it on a table of some sort and if you do want to read or write with it resting on your chest or any body part just make sure the antenna is not in your body or that you put it in airplane mode.

In close, I like the case but paying $130 for a case when my iPad cost me $630 seems a bit absurd to me considering what I pointed out above.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

CFS

Last edited:

omr

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
thanks for the review agallowa

"...The last review we did on their iPhone case was hit and miss. I couldn’t prove that the case was actually reducing the harmful radiation coming from your iPhone..."

Why was/is that?

Here's the wired.com article showing the lab test on the iPhone case, which confirms radiation reduction:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/cellphone-radiation-testing/

I'm just assuming since they can make it for the iPhone, their tech is transferable to an iPad case.

@cfs
"...The only issue is that we don't use our iPads near our heads. Most sit a with their heads a decent viewing distance from the device. That leads me to question if the protection is really even necessary."

If as you suggest, and I agree since I mostly place my iPad on my lap/abdomen/legs, that the device is primarily used on a lap, then in my opinion one (particularly males) potentially needs protection...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/behindtheheadlines/news/2011-12-06-wi-fi-from-laptops-may-damage-sperm/
and regardless of the potential fertility issues, just because it's not near your head, tissue is tissue and the type of radiation emitted in this situation, even with wi-fi as opposed to cellular, still carries the potential for harm if absorbed by the body in sufficient quantities. Although I'm not using it currently, once my wife and I get a Verizon family plan we will ust the data sharing option and I will have cellular turned on. However, likely not as much as wi'fi only.

"...Secondly, if you use your iPad on your lap and the radiation is redirected out the back, wouldn't you be getting hit with radiation anyway?"

Good point. I agree and am curious as to exactly what the details are regarding how radiation is reduced and possibly redirected with the iPad case specifically. There's no info. on the Pong Research website that addresses this specifically.

Last edited:

LittleGwen

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
USA
thanks for the review! wow that looks amazing! i wonder if the case adds a lot of weight.. i know the ipad isn't very heavy to begin with but still... if you're holding it for hours... it adds up. ;)

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I was really considering this case, but ended up going with the ozaki Icoat slim-y++. I just couldn't get over how they have that giant cutout for the 4G antenna.

omr

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
Las Vegas, NV

Lawwalker

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
Conflicting thoughts - the Pong

IF the tests for radiation barring hold true, then the Pong serves a great purpose. However, here are the negatives for the user, who can determine its other claims:

- the Pong IS noticeably heavier than any other iPad case.
- the Pong cover, when used as a stand, collapses - in all positions.
- the Pong, while a tight fit, makes it difficult to get the connector to "seat." Sometimes I get up in the morning and realize my iPad hasn't charged overnight.
- there is NO noticeable increase in speed, wifi or 3/4G reception.
- there is NO noticeable increase in signal strength in any location, whether urban or metropolitan locations.

I have made these comparisons between my iPad 3 and my spouse's iPad 3.

All this being said, I continue to use the Pong since it was costly. However, I typically curse it every day, primarily due to the extra weight in my purse or briefcase. It IS very noticeable!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.