PDA

View Full Version : RAZR MAXX knocks iPhone out of first place on Verizon

DakotaGuy
Jun 14, 2012, 08:45 AM
Is this true?

http://easternmorningherald.com/motorola-droid-razr-maxx-edges-iphone-on-verizon-sales-charts/128110/

If so that is a pretty rare occurrence. I love my MAXX and hopefully when ICS 4.0 comes (Moto says before the end of 2nd quarter 2012) it will only get better. Battery life and 4G LTE speed is great.

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 10:45 AM
yes it's true and that doesn't surprise me at all I sold my 4s not long after I got my Maxx. I can't wait for the razr HD coming soon. 720 display, 12MP camera, bigger screen and the same amazing battery from the Maxx. it's going to break sales records for Verizon

aneftp
Jun 14, 2012, 11:04 AM
yes it's true and that doesn't surprise me at all I sold my 4s not long after I got my Maxx. I can't wait for the razr HD coming soon. 720 display, 12MP camera, bigger screen and the same amazing battery from the Maxx. it's going to break sales records for Verizon

Let's not kid yourself here. Every tom, dick, and harry (or at least the vast majority of Verizon users) who have an iphone 4/4s are all waiting for the the LTE iphone.

No Razr Maxx HD is going to set records for Verizon phones the way the iPhone has.

While it's supriseing the 4 month old Razr Maxx outsold the 9 month old iPhone 4S, it's not shocking.

1. Verizon finally dropped the price of the Maxx down to $199 on contract
2. Like I said, Verizon users have already upgraded to the iPhone 4/4S within the past 17 months the iPhone has been available on Verizon and just waiting for the LTE iphone

What I am surprised about is that the Galaxy Nexus CDMA/LTE version is still number 3 in sales. That's a POS phone I brought on day 1 on December 15th. Have antenna issues for 4 months and finally gave up on the CDMA/LTE Gnex in March.

nuckinfutz
Jun 14, 2012, 11:06 AM
Verizon does a lot of "steering" in their stores.

Guess the spiff this month on the MAXX was good.

Mike49
Jun 14, 2012, 11:11 AM
My ATT iPhone 4 contract is up next month, and the Razr Maxx is in my top 3 for switching. It looks to be an awesome device.

I've had the iPhone since the 3G, and quite frankly I'm tired of dealing with ATT and iTunes.:eek:

vikingjunior
Jun 14, 2012, 11:11 AM
Honestly Apple can not expect to release one phone a year and compete.

nuckinfutz
Jun 14, 2012, 11:13 AM

Yet they are.

DakotaGuy
Jun 14, 2012, 11:15 AM

I think it interesting because when the iPhone came to Verizon many analysts predicted that it would be game over for every other phone on the carrier and they would never be able to compete again.

chakraj
Jun 14, 2012, 11:18 AM
As with many cults, when the leader dies some of the people wake up to what is going on and the fact that your religion is really a cult. Then they look around and see there are better alternatives.

Let the flaming begin:cool:

nuckinfutz
Jun 14, 2012, 11:18 AM
I think it interesting because when the iPhone came to Verizon many analysts predicted that it would be game over for every other phone on the carrier and they would never be able to compete again.

I don't remember that being the prevailing thought but there's always a crazy analyst to give up a good quote.

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 11:24 AM

Umm, a quarter is THREE months, not one :rolleyes:

Plus, I have seen Verizon's salesmen pushing the 4s in the store so many times its ridiculous. Verizon paid a TON to get 4.2 million iPhones, you bet your butt they want their money back off them. Not to mention all the posters for the iPhone everywhere in the store, not one for the Maxx.

CrAkD
Jun 14, 2012, 11:24 AM
I believe it because Verizon employees are instructed to push android phones over the iPhone cause the commission is much larger. Especially on the "droid" line that Verizon helped create. I bet out of every 10 uninformed consumers going into a vzw store wanting an iPhone, 6 of them get steered into buying a droid.

npggirl
Jun 14, 2012, 11:26 AM
As with many cults, when the leader dies some of the people wake up to what is going on and the fact that your religion is really a cult. Then they look around and see there are better alternatives.

Let the flaming begin:cool:

Honestly, people should flame you.
All it comes down to is people like what they like.
You have those that love Apple, and those that love Droids...
But you make it out as a type of Religion/Cult?
Idiosyncratic, to say the very least.
People always want to talk about others for their likes and dislikes.
WHO cares? Seriously! Are they bothering you?

DakotaGuy
Jun 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
http://m.cnet.com/news/razr-maxx-unseats-iphone-for-first-time-on-verizon/57452815

"The iPhone has lost the throne as the best-selling smartphone at all North American carriers...

...the iPhone is still the top-seller this quarter on AT&T and Sprint, but that the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx is the new king of the hill on Verizon"

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 11:33 AM
I believe it because Verizon employees are instructed to push android phones over the iPhone cause the commission is much larger. Especially on the "droid" line that Verizon helped create. I bet out of every 10 uninformed consumers going into a vzw store wanting an iPhone, 6 of them get steered into buying a droid.

wrong, see above. You want to talk about what phone Verizon pushes? I have seen the Smauel L. Jackson, Zooey and Malkovich Verizon 4s commercials so many times I want to puke. How many times have you seen a commercial for the Razr Maxx? Like never. iPhone fanboys don't realize the Maxx is the superior phone here. Larger display, much better build quality with is Kevlar backing, stainless steel sides and Gorilla Glass, much better battery, removable storage and 4G LTE. It was only a matter of time.

AustinIllini
Jun 14, 2012, 11:36 AM

There are a number of threads discussing this, but I'm pretty sure the commission on android phones are a lot higher for VZW employees than iPhones.

They're not competing. They're winning where it matters ($$$). By a lot.

DakotaGuy
Jun 14, 2012, 11:37 AM
wrong, see above. You want to talk about marketing? I have seen the Smauel L. Jackson, Zooey and Malkovich Verizon 4s commercials so many times I want to puke. How many times have you seen a commercial for the Razr Maxx? Like never. iPhone fanboys don't realize the Maxx is the superior phone here. Larger display, much better build quality with is Kevlar backing, stainless steel sides and Gorilla Glass, much better battery, removable storage and 4G LTE. It was only a matter of time.

I might add that ICS 4.0.4 should be launching in the next few weeks. Looking at how restrained Moto was with their software skin and all the new features will make this nice phone even better. I'm a huge fan of Smart Actions and MotoCast.

Technarchy
Jun 14, 2012, 11:39 AM
False logic for morons in play here.

Let's keep this as simple.

The iPhone has been the best selling phone on Verizon for over a year consistently, month after month, and tends to see a fall in demand right before the next iteration drops and people start playing the wait and see game.

The RAZR will be forgotten in a week except by those suckered into getting one on a two year contract.

There is no such thing as a good Droid Phone.

aneftp
Jun 14, 2012, 11:39 AM
http://m.cnet.com/news/razr-maxx-unseats-iphone-for-first-time-on-verizon/57452815

"The iPhone has lost the throne as the best-selling smartphone at all North American carriers...

...the iPhone is still the top-seller this quarter on AT&T and Sprint, but that the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx is the new king of the hill on Verizon"

"Doradla says they don't believe consumers are holding off on iPhone purchases in anticipation of a next-generation phone just yet, but that may change in the next few months"

That's a quote from the CNET article for those who didn't both to read.

It shows you that Mark Twain's quote about those who read the news are misinformed.

Consumers are holding off on the iphone purchase because:

1. They wanted to see what WWDC was all about
2. They know a new iPhone is coming in the new couple of months.
3. Those who wanted an iphone already got an iPhone 4/4s within the past 17months on Verizon already.

"average consumers" are average anymore. They ask us "techies" for advice. My advice to a co-worker who has Verizon means a lot more than the Verizon employee.

I am like Fox News with my Co-workers. I am "fair and balance" I tell my co-workers if they want a phone right now, I would get the Razr Maxx.

But if they insist on getting an iPhone like one of my co-workers who has a Droid Incredible 2. I tell her to wait for a few months (september/october) for LTE iphone and to avoid CDMA iPhone at this time.

DakotaGuy
Jun 14, 2012, 11:51 AM
We could go on and on why this happened, however in the end the Verizon CDMA iPhone is outdated next to competition like the MAXX. Compare the two and it's not even close. I love Apple stuff and own all sorts of it, but I'd never trade my MAXX for an iPhone and lose screen size, LTE speed, ability to talk and surf on 4G, and amazing battery life.

chakraj
Jun 14, 2012, 11:53 AM
you would gain the coolness at Starbucks factor.

vikingjunior
Jun 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
Didnt Google buy Motorola mobility? I wonder if the Droid Maxx was on all 4 carriers.

aneftp
Jun 14, 2012, 11:57 AM
We could go on and on why this happened, however in the end the Verizon CDMA iPhone is outdated next to competition like the MAXX. Compare the two and it's not even close. I love Apple stuff and own all sorts of it, but I'd never trade my MAXX for an iPhone and lose screen size, LTE speed, ability to talk and surf on 4G, and amazing battery life.

But the real question is:

Where the heck is ICS for the Droid Razr/Maxx? I am talking about the offical/non-rooted version.

I guess you will never see JellyBean with the Razr Maxx

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 11:58 AM
"Doradla says they don't believe consumers are holding off on iPhone purchases in anticipation of a next-generation phone just yet, but that may change in the next few months"

It shows you that Mark Twain's quote about those who read the news are misinformed.

3. Those who wanted an iphone already got an iPhone 4/4s within the past 17months on Verizon already.

LOL, what? Can YOU read? It says they DONT believe consumers are holding off on iPhone purchases in anticipation of a new one...

Twixt
Jun 14, 2012, 12:00 PM

That is even more true because there is no drastic change from the very beginning form factor wise whereas there is so much choice outside.
Situation would be different with iPhone P and iPhone Ps being both available the same year, thus 6 months frequency.
Also with people on average going for less to no subsidization AAPL price point remains a bit too high

----------

LOL, what? Can YOU read? It says they DONT believe consumers are holding off on iPhone purchases in anticipation of a new one...

I am holding off for more than 12 months :D

DakotaGuy
Jun 14, 2012, 12:05 PM

Where the heck is ICS for the Droid Razr/Maxx? I am talking about the offical/non-rooted version.

According to Motorola's own time line it's supposed to launch by the end of the 2nd quarter... that's June 30th. They keep pushing new builds so I'd think the final one has to be close. I do admit that is one bad thing about Android and it effects all manufacturers... they can be slow to push updates. With that said the current 2.3.6 build on mine is a very stable software build. I hope that continues with the new 4.0.4 build.

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 12:06 PM

The Razr Maxx was released with Gingerbread and getting a FULL update to ICS. How about Apple giving the finger to iPhone 4 owners by not giving them the best features from iOS 6 forcing them to buy a new phone? Thats a complete joke. Its taking awhile but at least we are getting it, not some watered down version of it :)

TG1
Jun 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
While I do miss the retina display and the camera quality on the iPhone, I'm loving the bigger screen, the crazy fast 4G LTE, the double your data promotion, and the INSANE battery life. :D

aneftp
Jun 14, 2012, 12:30 PM

Yes, I can read what I stated. I am implying that they are wrong (that people are holding off buying CDMA iphone).

I stated those who wanted an iPhone 4/4s already brought one within the past 17 months it's been available.

I am saying don't believe what you read in the news media (about people NOT holding off on buying). People ARE HOLDING OFF on buying.

Apple...
Jun 14, 2012, 12:31 PM
Superior phone? I don't think so. It's running Android, so you know it will most likely never receive an update and will be replaced by the next Android (Samsung Galaxy S III, anyone?) within a month.

aneftp
Jun 14, 2012, 12:32 PM
According to Motorola's own time line it's supposed to launch by the end of the 2nd quarter... that's June 30th. They keep pushing new builds so I'd think the final one has to be close. I do admit that is one bad thing about Android and it effects all manufacturers... they can be slow to push updates. With that said the current 2.3.6 build on mine is a very stable software build. I hope that continues with the new 4.0.4 build.

According to Motorola (way back in Q4 2011). Droid Razr was supposed to get ICS "early 2012".

And Droid Razr/Maxx are the same exact phone/baseband with the exception of the batter.

June 14th 2012 by any definition isn't "early 2012" when the Razr was released.

I am sure it's coming within the next 30-45 days. But they are way behind in delivering ICS.

Nand
Jun 14, 2012, 12:39 PM
The Razr Maxx was released with Gingerbread and getting a FULL update to ICS. How about Apple giving the finger to iPhone 4 owners by not giving them the best features from iOS 6 forcing them to buy a new phone? Thats a complete joke. Its taking awhile but at least we are getting it, not some watered down version of it :)

Change your mind again...
This is what you said..and I quote

"Because some people act like Android phones and its OS are such high tech and advanced devices when the truth is, they can't even keep their phones running current software. We aren't taking about an incremental update either. ICS is a MAJOR update, they reworked everything, yet only 3% of Android devices run it 5 months after its release. People ask how iPhone users can live with such a small screen or such a (in their minds) limited OS and I ask Android fans how they can live with a brand new phone running a nearly 2 year old OS. I will take a smaller screen and an OS without widgets to have something current rather than an OS from 2010 Here is another eye opener....

“iOS 5 captured approximately 75% of all iOS users in the same amount of time it took Gingerbread to get 4% of all Android users,” Sauve wrote in his analysis on pxldot. “Even more astounding is that 15 weeks after launch iOS 4 was at 70% and iOS 5 was at 60% while Ice Cream Sandwich got to just 1% share at the same age. If there were any question as to whether iOS had a less fragmented ecosystem than Android, the past two charts provide a fairly definitive answer.” Sauve continued, “iOS devices have, on average, reached 10% version share 300 times faster than Android versions, 30% share 19 times faster, and 50% share 7 times faster.”

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 12:54 PM
According to Motorola (way back in Q4 2011). Droid Razr was supposed to get ICS "early 2012".

And Droid Razr/Maxx are the same exact phone/baseband with the exception of the batter.

June 14th 2012 by any definition isn't "early 2012" when the Razr was released.

I am sure it's coming within the next 30-45 days. But they are way behind in delivering ICS.

That's because 4.04 was released. So rather than give customers the older 4.03 update, they decided to hold off. I don't have a problem with that and those who really want ICS have the option to root and install it.

cynics
Jun 14, 2012, 01:02 PM
Verizon does push LTE (Android phones) more cause the do have higher commission, 3G non apple phones have higher commision too but not as much. My old roommate used to do wireless sales before doing government sales. It's very easy to find info on this with a google search.

Two reasons are, one Verizon is going all LTE so they obviously push LTE. Two Android phones are cheaper so when subsidized at the same price they make more. The iPhone is 90-100 dollars more to Verizon then high end android phones.

Any commercials you see are apple commercials with a Verizon tag at the end. It's not that Verizon doesn't want to sell iPhones, they just prefer to make more money and that means trying to push Android phones. And they are really just trying to get you in the store...duh

The easiest proof of this is to simply goto a corporate Verizon store. You'll have to walk by every Android phone to get to the iPhone stand.

Hell here is there mobile website. Note the iPhone under the droids and lackluster description vs the droids.

http://img.tapatalk.com/aee302f7-26af-dcc2.jpg

CrAkD
Jun 14, 2012, 01:11 PM
wrong, see above. You want to talk about what phone Verizon pushes? I have seen the Smauel L. Jackson, Zooey and Malkovich Verizon 4s commercials so many times I want to puke. How many times have you seen a commercial for the Razr Maxx? Like never. iPhone fanboys don't realize the Maxx is the superior phone here. Larger display, much better build quality with is Kevlar backing, stainless steel sides and Gorilla Glass, much better battery, removable storage and 4G LTE. It was only a matter of time.

What on earth do apple tv commercials have to do with Verizon employees in store who work on commission pushing android phones with higher margins? Oh that's right.....nothing.

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 01:20 PM
What on earth do apple tv commercials have to do with Verizon employees in store who work on commission pushing android phones with higher margins? Oh that's right.....nothing.

Again, Verizon paid a TON of money for the iPhone. You really think they want them sitting around? Especially when the new ones with bigger displays and 4G are coming? Please. No one will touch a 4s with its useless tiny screen and outdated 3G when the new one hits soon. You can bet Verizon are trying to sell the 4s at all costs. You can bet they are pushing IPhones sales hard

cynics
Jun 14, 2012, 01:26 PM
Btw on topic it does not surprise me the Razr maxx did better. I have a Verizon 4S and it's terrible due to their terrible 3G network. I keep it tethered to an LTE tablet while I'm at work. The new iPhone on Verizon assuming its LTE will be very nice.

CrAkD
Jun 14, 2012, 01:26 PM
Again, Verizon paid a TON of money for the iPhone. You really think they want them sitting around? Especially when the new ones with bigger displays and 4G are coming? Please. No one will touch a 4s with its useless tiny screen and outdated 3G when the new one hits soon. You can bet Verizon are trying to sell the 4s at all costs. You can bet they are pushing IPhones sales hard

I'm not so sure Verizon agreed to sell x amount of iPhones that was sprint that bet the company on the iPhone. I'm sure Verizon sells plenty of iPhones based on apples fanbase alone but undecided people or people that are uninformed are quickly swayed to a droid where Verizon makes alot more per device.

DakotaGuy
Jun 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
I'm not so sure Verizon agreed to sell x amount of iPhones that was sprint that bet the company on the iPhone. I'm sure Verizon sells plenty of iPhones based on apples fanbase alone but undecided people or people that are uninformed are quickly swayed to a droid where Verizon makes alot more per device.

I'd think the iPhone would capture a lot more of the uninformed crowd then the MAXX. It's the phone that everyone has and if someone doesn't know better they are going to follow the crowd. People who would buy the RAZR MAXX are probably going to do some research to find out why it is a better buy and how it's features are superior to the iPhone.

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 02:07 PM
I'd think the iPhone would capture a lot more of the uninformed crowd then the MAXX. It's the phone that everyone has and if someone doesn't know better they are going to follow the crowd. People who would buy the RAZR MAXX are probably going to do some research to find out why it is a better buy and how it's features are superior to the iPhone.

Exactly. everyone knows what an iphone is even an 85 year old grandmother. Swaying someone to buy an Android phone from Motorola would be very difficult.

Dwalls90
Jun 14, 2012, 02:27 PM

Exactly. Verizon is NOTORIOUS for shifting customers AWAY from the iPhone to Android devices, primarily because Motorola charges less for their wholesale for Maxx's then Apple charges for their iPhones.

Customers are stupid. This is an example of how powerful and persuasive a carrier can be towards a certain device.

I agree and disagree. They are still competing, and I see people everday still buying 4S'. I think in the long run they should shorten their release period a tad though.

DakotaGuy
Jun 14, 2012, 02:27 PM
All android customers are either uniformed or delusional.

Either that or they opted to buy garbge on purpose.

Really? I suppose you can come up with some facts to prove that opinion. As far as I can tell the 4S is one of the most outdated phones (other then a few free 3G only Android ones) that Verizon offers. It's a good phone, but it's outdated and selling on brand popularity at this point. That might all change when the iPhone 5 comes out, but for now it's behind.

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 02:47 PM
William Blair financial analyst, Anil Doradla claims that the RAZR MAXX has become the top-selling smartphone this quarter for Verizon.

This is another example of the media putting "iPhone" in their headline to get a few million hits, and add few thousand more dollars to their ad revenue. In what other industry would an analyst's claim be reported as truth?

----------

Really? I suppose you can come up with some facts to prove that opinion. As far as I can tell the 4S is one of the most outdated phones (other then a few free 3G only Android ones) that Verizon offers. It's a good phone, but it's outdated and selling on brand popularity at this point. That might all change when the iPhone 5 comes out, but for now it's behind.

It's quite clear you made this thread as a subtle troll, with the words "is this true" to cover it up.

The Droid Razr Maxx has much lower performance than the iPhone 4S in every category besides battery and wireless radio, a direct result of the faster CPU/GPU and OS optimization.

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 03:17 PM
The Droid Razr Maxx has much lower performance than the iPhone 4S in every category besides battery and wireless radio, a direct result of the faster CPU/GPU and OS optimization.

False. I can add more memory to my Maxx anytime I like, I couldn't on my 4s.
My Maxx isn't made of glass and won't shatter if I drop it (which I have several times) which means its build quality is superior. The Maxx has a larger display. The Maxx has a faster processor. The Maxx has more RAM. I just listed several more categories where the Maxx is superior.

chakraj
Jun 14, 2012, 03:22 PM
It makes me laugh to read people knocking android for being fragmented.

Tell me how is Siri working on your iphone 4? or how about on your 3Gs or your 3g or your 2g??? Oh it doesnt work = fragmented

How well do you expect your 3gs or your iphone 4 to run the new navigation?

Oh it wont....LOL... You guys are so fragmented.

Every android phone can run its navigation, sheesh get with it its 2012 already...:D

CrAkD
Jun 14, 2012, 03:28 PM

Tell me how is Siri working on your iphone 4? or how about on your 3Gs or your 3g or your 2g??? Oh it doesnt work = fragmented

Every android phone can run its navigation, sheesh get with it its 2012 already...:D

There's a big difference from apple selling 3 phones all 3 get 6.0 but get stripped a few features and android selling 100s of different phones at the same time and only 10 get ICS. That's VERY different don't even compare it.

chakraj
Jun 14, 2012, 03:30 PM
There's a big difference from apple selling 3 phones all 3 get 6.0 but get stripped a few features and android selling 100s of different phones at the same time and only 10 get ICS. That's VERY different don't even compare it.

Oh I understand, the comparison is only valid if it shows apple as a better product. When you use the same comparison and apple comes out the looser then its not even worth bringing up...

You have a future in politics my friend :cool:

CrAkD
Jun 14, 2012, 03:35 PM
Oh I understand, the comparison is only valid if it shows apple as a better product. When you use the same comparison and apple comes out the looser then its not even worth bringing up...

You have a future in politics my friend :cool:

Ok how about numbers. 100% of apple iPhones get the latest OS at the same time on the same release day. Less then 1% of android phones for sale get the latest release on release day. Less then 10% ever get it and it takes about 6 months to even get to 10%. How can you compare those 2 and call it the same thing.

chakraj
Jun 14, 2012, 03:38 PM
Ok while you compare OS versions. I will compare features.

100% of android phones have the same features while the OS may look different.

On iphone the OS may look the same, but 50% of the phones wont run the features that the other 50% have. Even though the phone is capable of running them, its just apple doesnt want you to have them.

Tit for tat..... No not that kind of tit, sheesh lets keep it clean this is a family forum.

CrAkD
Jun 14, 2012, 03:48 PM
Google used to do the same thing back in the cupcake donut days when a phone wasn't capable of running something and I'm sure they still do. Secondly how does a missing feature compare to an entire missing OS. Android phones sometimes SHIP for the first time with an older OS then current and then never even get the new OS!?!? Like wtf.

lordofthereef
Jun 14, 2012, 03:58 PM
I think quite a few people are flocking to the Maxx because of the enormous batter and sleek form factor. My fiance's sisters both got the Maxx, and both initially wanted to go with the iPhone. After playing with the Maxx and finding out how long the battery lasted, they were hooked. They really are an "Apple family" too what with all of their ipods, ipads, etc.

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 03:59 PM
False. I can add more memory to my Maxx anytime I like, I couldn't on my 4s.
My Maxx isn't made of glass and won't shatter if I drop it (which I have several times) which means its build quality is superior. The Maxx has a larger display. The Maxx has a faster processor. The Maxx has more RAM. I just listed several more categories where the Maxx is superior.

Performance has nothing to do with shattering when it drops. The iPhone 4S performs better in all CPU and GPU benchmarks shared between the two platforms.

cynics
Jun 14, 2012, 04:03 PM
Google used to do the same thing back in the cupcake donut days when a phone wasn't capable of running something and I'm sure they still do. Secondly how does a missing feature compare to an entire missing OS. Android phones sometimes SHIP for the first time with an older OS then current and then never even get the new OS!?!? Like wtf.

All features of android OS are included on all phones. However manufacture UI may include a feature that's not on other manufacture handsets. Like motorolas smart actions isnt on a Samsung phone.

ICS is just now really starting to roll out on older handset. Not all will get it, that's up to the manufacture. So blame them not Google.

The samething would happen if Apple let other companies use iOS.

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 04:09 PM

When people refer to fragmentation on Android, the Apps are the biggest factor.

Search the Google Play store for popular apps like Grand Theft Auto 3, Spotify, Real Racing 2, Modern Combat 3, HBO Go, Netflix...etc, and you'll see many complaints about the app not working for a specific device, or people complaining that "My device can run this app, and it used to show up as compatible, but now it won't let me download saying it won't work on my device!"

People have complained this is a game of Wack-A-Mole, asking if they should get device A where these apps work, or device B where these other apps work.

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 04:11 PM
Performance has nothing to do with shattering when it drops. The iPhone 4S performs better in all CPU and GPU benchmarks shared between the two platforms.

False again...Scroll down halfway to Benchmarks. The only test the 4s won was the GL and thats a given considering its awesome graphics performance. However, the Maxx beat it in everything else.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/03/motorola-droid-razr-maxx-review.html

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 04:22 PM
False again...Scroll down halfway to Benchmarks. The only test the 4s won was the GL and thats a given considering its awesome graphics performance. However, the Maxx beat it in everything else.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/03/motorola-droid-razr-maxx-review.html

BrowserMark and Sunspider are not CPU benchmarks, they are browser benchmarks. They test the performance of the browser.

For example, when Safari was updated last year, the iPhone 4 showed a 3x increase in performance in either BrowserMark or Sunspider, I forget which. In the current iOS 6 beta, Safari was updated again, and the SunSpider scored increased dramatically again - ahead of the Droid Razr in the link you provided -

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Safari-is-faster-on-iOS-6-according-to-benchmarks_id31150

Not the same thing.

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 04:26 PM
BrowserMark and Sunspider are not CPU benchmarks, they are browser benchmarks. They test the performance of the browser.

For example, when Safari was updated last year, the iPhone 4 showed a 3x increase in performance in either BrowserMark or Sunspider, I forget which. In the current iOS 6 beta, Safari was updated again, and the SunSpider scored increased dramatically again - ahead of the Droid Razr in the link you provided -

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Safari-is-faster-on-iOS-6-according-to-benchmarks_id31150

Not the same thing.

Don't care. I posted an example of the Maxx beating the 4s in several tests. You find some tests with the 4s beating the Maxx, go on now.

chakraj
Jun 14, 2012, 04:40 PM

Search the Google Play store for popular apps like Grand Theft Auto 3, Spotify, Real Racing 2, Modern Combat 3, HBO Go, Netflix...etc, and you'll see many complaints about the app not working for a specific device, or people complaining that "My device can run this app, and it used to show up as compatible, but now it won't le time download saying it won't work on my device!"

People have complained this is a game of Wack-A-Mole, asking if they should get device A where these apps work, or device B where these other apps work.

whack a mole is a terrible game anyway, who cares if it wont run on your device. ;)

G5isAlive
Jun 14, 2012, 04:49 PM

Did you just compare an update (that you have not gotten yet and has already been delayed) on a 6 month old phone with what may or may not come for a 2 year old phone?

Come back with more updates in a year and a half and we will see. The droid upgrade history is lousy

Troneas
Jun 14, 2012, 05:14 PM
its made of plastic.

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 05:22 PM
its made of plastic.

LOL

It has a Kevlar backing, stainless steel sides and Gorilla Glass. Its a much better build quality than the mostly shatter glass on the 4s :rolleyes:

lordofthereef
Jun 14, 2012, 05:26 PM
Did you just compare an update (that you have not gotten yet and has already been delayed) on a 6 month old phone with what may or may not come for a 2 year old phone?

Come back with more updates in a year and a half and we will see. The droid upgrade history is lousy

Look at iOS 6 on the 4S and Gen3 iPad. Now look at it on every other device. iOS6 is basically iOS5 on anything but the latest hardware. At this point these older devices are still technically running the latest software, but with so many features being pulled out of older devices (for seemingly no reason other than to give people a reason to upgrade their hardware), it doesn't really seem like said older devices are getting much of on OS update at all.

Don't get me wrong. This isn't a complaint about Apple, or a praise for Android. It is what it is. But the constant di** measuring the iOS users do with Android users (and vice versa... very much so) is just silly. Both platforms have the potential of getting better and fuller updates. Both platforms are stifled in this respect, but for very different reasons.

lordofthereef
Jun 14, 2012, 05:42 PM

Search the Google Play store for popular apps like Grand Theft Auto 3, Spotify, Real Racing 2, Modern Combat 3, HBO Go, Netflix...etc, and you'll see many complaints about the app not working for a specific device, or people complaining that "My device can run this app, and it used to show up as compatible, but now it won't let me download saying it won't work on my device!"

While I agree with most of what you said, the complaints (almost) never seem to be coming from those on flagship devices. Some guy bought some budget buy on Android device for 99 cents get one free for your remaining lines on your family plan and he is upset that the game isn't running properly. Nobody is looking at the current gen, or even last gen flagship devices and saying the apps are not running on them. The exception to this might be tegra zone, though it is made pretty clear which devices support tegra zone content.

In many ways we can compare this to buying a computer. If you buy a $300 tower, you probably aren't going to be doing any gaming on it (unless you consider facebook games gaming). Apple makes it easy with the idevices. If they are currently on the market, your games will work just fine. In that sense, there isn't really much know-how or knowledge involved. This is likely where we get the "it just works" mantra.

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 05:42 PM
Look at iOS 6 on the 4S and Gen3 iPad. Now look at it on every other device. iOS6 is basically iOS5 on anything but the latest hardware.

Considering we've only seen 10 out of 200 updates in iOS 6, I don't think we have enough information to be able to say this. Even of the 10 we know about, only 3 aren't available on the iPhone 4.

lordofthereef
Jun 14, 2012, 05:45 PM
Considering we've only seen 10 out of 200 updates in iOS 6, I don't think we have enough information to be able to say this. Even of the 10 we know about, only 3 aren't available on the iPhone 4.

10 out of 200... look at that random list of stuff they showed. They are counting every language addition, every tiny change in every and update, as they always do. They showed us the major things. Everything else is going to be minor (or exclusive to the next gen iPhone, which would only solidify my point).

EDIT: I believe passbook is included as well. Missed that.

I am not sure where you are going with only 3 features not being available on iPhone 4. Aside from the "wonderful" facebook integration, the 4 didn't get diddly. Oh, well they got maps, with no spoken turn by turn. So they got maps which are just... different.

chrf097
Jun 14, 2012, 05:46 PM
Is this true?

http://easternmorningherald.com/motorola-droid-razr-maxx-edges-iphone-on-verizon-sales-charts/128110/

If so that is a pretty rare occurrence. I love my MAXX and hopefully when ICS 4.0 comes (Moto says before the end of 2nd quarter 2012) it will only get better. Battery life and 4G LTE speed is great.

Wasn't 4.0 originally supposed to come out in April?

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 05:54 PM
While I agree with most of what you said, the complaints (almost) never seem to be coming from those on flagship devices. Some guy bought some budget buy on Android device for 99 cents get one free for your remaining lines on your family plan and he is upset that the game isn't running properly. Nobody is looking at the current gen, or even last gen flagship devices and saying the apps are not running on them. The exception to this might be tegra zone, though it is made pretty clear which devices support tegra zone content.

In many ways we can compare this to buying a computer. If you buy a $300 tower, you probably aren't going to be doing any gaming on it (unless you consider facebook games gaming). Apple makes it easy with the idevices. If they are currently on the market, your games will work just fine. In that sense, there isn't really much know-how or knowledge involved. This is likely where we get the "it just works" mantra.

While for the most part you're probably right, I've seen some very notable exceptions. The first search I tried was Real Racing 2, and apparently it doesn't work on the Samsung Galaxy S 2, or the Nexus:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.game.realracing2_row

That is not a cherry-picked example, it's literally the first one I tried. At one point it wasn't working on the Note either. I know someone who have the Rezound, and they had to root in order to install some big name game he wanted, might have been GTA, I don't remember.

Games are one thing, but why are apps like HBO Go and Spotify having trouble?

Jb07
Jun 14, 2012, 05:54 PM
Superior phone? I don't think so. It's running Android, so you know it will most likely never receive an update and will be replaced by the next Android (Samsung Galaxy S III, anyone?) within a month.

This argument is so old and worn out. Samsung upgrades the Galaxy line once a year and Motorola updates the Droid line about every 9-12 months. Can you come up with something new?

UCLAKoolman
Jun 14, 2012, 05:57 PM

Apple makes 75% of the mobile phone industry's total profits! They are doing just fine with a 1 device/year release cycle. Samsung's mobile branch is the only other smartphone manufacturer that seems to be scraping by. The others, including Motorolla and HTC, are just fighting for scraps at this point.

And OP, I get it. You love your Razr MAXXXXX or whatever its called. It's probably a decent device, though definitely NOT the best android device out there. I'd happily get a Galaxy S3, Nexus, HTC One X, or EVO over the MAXXXXXXX. If it works for you, that's great! What's the point of coming into an iPhone forum and stroking yourself so awkwardly in front of people who think your Gingerbread-running phone is a joke?

Why does it bother android users so much that people prefer iOS? I used to visit Macrumors quite a bit, but now each thread is filled with circlejerking android fanboys like the OP. Apparently the mods have no desire to maintain a pleasant community here.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/chunkamui/2012/02/06/apples-iphone-sliver-of-the-market-lions-share-of-the-profits/
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/02/03/with-8-7-market-share-apple-has-75-of-cell-phone-profits/

lordofthereef
Jun 14, 2012, 06:01 PM
While for the most part you're probably right, I've seen some very notable exceptions. The first search I tried was Real Racing 2, and apparently it doesn't work on the Samsung Galaxy S 2, or the Nexus:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.game.realracing2_row

That is not a cherry-picked example, it's literally the first one I tried. At one point it wasn't working on the Note either. I know someone who have the Rezound, and they had to root in order to install some big name game he wanted, might have been GTA, I don't remember.

Games are one thing, but why are apps like HBO Go and Spotify having trouble?

When Android was first getting Netflix and Hulu support I remember both companies coming out and saying that it wouldn't be available on all devices due to licensing and piracy concerns. The issue may be similar to this, or it may not. I couldn't say.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned a game that didn't work on a certain device for one person. Is it like that for many people? Reason I ask is because the Apple appstore frequently has complaints such as "crashes on my 3GS... TERRIBLE I would give this negative stars if I could!!!" Is it crashing on every 3GS? Is it crashing for everyone?

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 06:06 PM
10 out of 200... look at that random list of stuff they showed. They are counting every language addition, every tiny change in every and update, as they always do. They showed us the major things. Everything else is going to be minor (or exclusive to the next gen iPhone, which would only solidify my point).

EDIT: I believe passbook is included as well. Missed that.

I am not sure where you are going with only 3 features not being available on iPhone 4. Aside from the "wonderful" facebook integration, the 4 didn't get diddly. Oh, well they got maps, with no spoken turn by turn. So they got maps which are just... different.

Hmm, you definitely have a point. We'll see what else they come up with, but I agree that the big stuff likely won't make it to the 4. That being said, I'm sure iPhone 4 users will be glad to get updated Mail, Safari, Phone, Passbook, Photostream, Facebook, and accessibility updates.

When you compare iOS 6 on the iPhone 4, to what it looked like when the iPhone 4 was released in June of 2010, as iOS 4.0 was just released, there have been some major improvements.

lordofthereef
Jun 14, 2012, 06:09 PM
When you compare iOS 6 on the iPhone 4, to what it looked like when the iPhone 4 was released in June of 2010, as iOS 4.0 was just released, there have been some major improvements.

I can certainly agree with this. Hell, iOS 5 was a HUGE improvement (in terms of added features) over iOS 4 for ALL devices. But if Apple goes the way they are seemingly going with iOS6 on all future iOS releases it seems like legacy updates will be more of an update in name alone and not features/functionality.

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 06:18 PM
When Android was first getting Netflix and Hulu support I remember both companies coming out and saying that it wouldn't be available on all devices due to licensing and piracy concerns. The issue may be similar to this, or it may not. I couldn't say.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned a game that didn't work on a certain device for one person. Is it like that for many people? Reason I ask is because the Apple appstore frequently has complaints such as "crashes on my 3GS... TERRIBLE I would give this negative stars if I could!!!" Is it crashing on every 3GS? Is it crashing for everyone?

I try not to make references to things like that. Usually I'm referring to store restrictions which prevent the app from being installed at all. If I see multiple people saying, "GTA 3 does not have audio on the HTC One", then find an XDA thread with a bunch of people confirming it, I'll count that as well.

UCLAKoolman
Jun 14, 2012, 06:23 PM
I can certainly agree with this. Hell, iOS 5 was a HUGE improvement (in terms of added features) over iOS 4 for ALL devices. But if Apple goes the way they are seemingly going with iOS6 on all future iOS releases it seems like legacy updates will be more of an update in name alone and not features/functionality.

Don't forget that when iOS 6.0 is released this fall, the iPhone 4 will be over two years old, and two generations behind the latest iPhone. The fact that the 3+ year old 3GS will still be supported is fantastic. Many Android phones, such as the Droid X2, are barely a year old and will never receive an official ice cream sandwich update. And as for Windows Phone, many rumors suggest that none of the current Mango devices will be updated to Apollo.

Sources:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Droid-X2-confirmed-to-not-receive-ICS_id28009
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/17/2956439/windows-phone-8-apollo-no-upgrade

chakraj
Jun 14, 2012, 06:24 PM
If I see multiple people saying, "GTA 3 does not have audio on the HTC One", then find an XDA thread with a bunch of people confirming it, I'll count that as well.

Its a good thing at least someone is keeping track, Im sure that will come in handy some day.:p

lordofthereef
Jun 14, 2012, 06:29 PM
Don't forget that when iOS 6.0 is released this fall, the iPhone 4 will be over two years old, and two generations behind the latest iPhone. The fact that the 3+ year old 3GS will still be supported is fantastic. Many Android phones, such as the Droid X2, are barely a year old and will never receive an official ice cream sandwich update. And as for Windows Phone, many rumors suggest that none of the current Mango devices will be updated to Apollo.

I haven't forgotten any of this. My point is, to what extent is this actually support? Calling something iOS6 minus 90% of iOS6's new features doesn't really make it iOS6. It seems almost pointless to even update (except for the few things I mentioned above) unless of course you just want to be able to say you are running the "latest software".

Android should take a cue from Apple. They need to go ahead and push some tiny update to gingerbread and just call it Ice Cream Sandwich, minus most of the features that make ICS better than GB. Then I can say I am running ICS with support from Google on my three year old Android device. Who cares that the features aren't there? It's the newest software!!!!!!

chakraj
Jun 14, 2012, 06:34 PM
They could do it like apple and just push the theme of ICS and call it ICS.

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 06:36 PM
I haven't forgotten any of this. My point is, to what extent is this actually support? Calling something iOS6 minus 90% of iOS6's new features doesn't really make it iOS6. It seems almost pointless to even update (except for the few things I mentioned above) unless of course you just want to be able to say you are running the "latest software".

Android should take a cue from Apple. They need to go ahead and push some tiny update to gingerbread and just call it Ice Cream Sandwich, minus most of the features that make ICS better than GB. Then I can say I am running ICS with support from Google on my three year old Android device. Who cares that the features aren't there? It's the newest software!!!!!!

There is no evidence to show the 3GS won't receive 90% of the 200 updates. If anything, there's strong evidence to the contrary.

Also, it's guaranteed that you won't be restricted from iOS 6 exclusive apps, as you'll be fully updated.

lordofthereef
Jun 14, 2012, 06:41 PM
There is no evidence to show the 3GS won't receive 90% of the 200 updates. If anything, there's strong evidence to the contrary.

Also, it's guaranteed that you won't be restricted from iOS 6 exclusive apps, as you'll be fully updated.

Again, that "200 updates" is just jargon that ALL of these companies use to get you excited. As I mentioned, I am willing to bet that every language they have added to siri is considered an updated feature. That's what, 20 "new features" in iOS6? The 3GS isn't getting any of those, we know that.

The fact of the matter is that we likely won't be seeing anything in iOS 6 that we haven't seen already, minus some new features for the new iPhone. The beta is out now... are we thinking that there are going to be a couple hundred features added to it on a later date? I think we would be dreaming to think that.

We won't know for certain until it launches. But it's a pretty safe bet based on previous iOS releases. The vast majority of everything is there in the beta, minus the features that are coming to the new phone.

As far as being restricted to iOS6 exclusive apps, I would suspect we won't see many of those, except those coming from Apple (to force you into an update). We already don't have many iOS5 exclusives as is. But, you are right. We will be able to use apps that arbitrarily require a higher version of iOS.

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 06:52 PM
Again, that "200 updates" is just jargon that ALL of these companies use to get you excited. As I mentioned, I am willing to bet that every language they have added to siri is considered an updated feature. That's what, 20 "new features" in iOS6? The 3GS isn't getting any of those, we know that.

The fact of the matter is that we likely won't be seeing anything in iOS 6 that we haven't seen already, minus some new features for the new iPhone. The beta is out now... are we thinking that there are going to be a couple hundred features added to it on a later date? I think we would be dreaming to think that.

We won't know for certain until it launches. But it's a pretty safe bet based on previous iOS releases. The vast majority of everything is there in the beta, minus the features that are coming to the new phone.

As far as being restricted to iOS6 exclusive apps, I would suspect we won't see many of those, except those coming from Apple (to force you into an update). We already don't have many iOS5 exclusives as is. But, you are right. We will be able to use apps that arbitrarily require a higher version of iOS.

The point isn't that the 200 new features are cool, the point isn't even that they are relevant, the point is that there is no evidence to show that the 3GS won't be getting 90% of them. On the contrary, of the 10 features shown so far, the 3GS has all but 3 of them, 2 of which (FaceTime and Siri) it never had anyway.

You can say, "It's not getting any of the cool updates", you can even say, "It is getting no updates that really matter", but you cannot say it isn't getting 90% of the updates.

joshwithachance
Jun 14, 2012, 06:55 PM
I have no idea how it did, because Motoblur is just hideous.

lordofthereef
Jun 14, 2012, 07:00 PM
The point isn't that the 200 new features are cool, the point isn't even that they are relevant, the point is that there is no evidence to show that the 3GS won't be getting 90% of them. On the contrary, of the 10 features shown so far, the 3GS has all but 3 of them, 2 of which (FaceTime and Siri) it never had anyway.

You can say, "It's not getting any of the cool updates", you can even say, "It is getting no updates that really matter", but you cannot say it isn't getting 90% of the updates.

My 90% was just a number thrown out there... I don't work at Apple. Of course I cannot say with absolute certainty what "features" it is getting. My point, from the beginning, is that Apple uses the term features very loosely. I am not talking about features that are cool. I am talking about things Apple is calling features that is going to make a difference in everyone's life.

If it makes you feel better, I will take back my 90% statement. This is obviously a sore spot with you, apologies.

I still stand by the fact that when you are removing features from a phone where there is no conceivable need for said features to be removed (referring to the iPhone 4) that certainly is a lackluster update. I don't think it is news to anyone that when people talk features they are talking about the tangible new things that one can do in a newer version of the OS that they couldn't do in a previous version, right?

Perhaps a good comparison here might be OSX Mountain Lion upgrade on an Intel Core i5/7 versus an Intel Core2 duo Mac. Can you imagine if Apple decide to not give Core2 duo based Macs certain huge features? What would the reaction be here?

A made the comparison to Android because that is effectively what they are doing. Google could probably push a handful of key features to Gingerbread, while leaving out the key "goodies" from ICS. It doesn't really make it a full blown update, in my opinion.

EDIT: This has become a discussion on iOS and its updates, which obviously is not where this thread should be. I would happy to continue the discussion elsewhere but don't want to continue derailing this specific thread, which is about the Razer Maxx and it surpassing sales of the 4S on VZW.

dave420
Jun 14, 2012, 07:45 PM

I wouldn't discount the significance of the upgrades all the devices will be getting in iOS 6. Even some of the minor features sound like they would be helpful, but will be unavailable on the original iPad.

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 07:58 PM
no amount of arguing will change the fact that the maxx is a supurb device and it out sold the 4s this quarter :)

Apple...
Jun 14, 2012, 08:03 PM
no amount of arguing will change the fact that the maxx is a supurb device and it out sold the 4s this quarter :)
On Verizon. Also note that the iPhone is due for an update.

lordofthereef
Jun 14, 2012, 08:21 PM
On Verizon. Also note that the iPhone is due for an update.

Being that it is unavailable elsewhere, this is basically a given...

DakotaGuy
Jun 14, 2012, 08:29 PM
And OP, I get it. You love your Razr MAXXXXX or whatever its called. It's probably a decent device, though definitely NOT the best android device out there. I'd happily get a Galaxy S3, Nexus, HTC One X, or EVO over the MAXXXXXXX. If it works for you, that's great! What's the point of coming into an iPhone forum and stroking yourself so awkwardly in front of people who think your Gingerbread-running phone is a joke?

Why does it bother android users so much that people prefer iOS? I used to visit Macrumors quite a bit, but now each thread is filled with circlejerking android fanboys like the OP. Apparently the mods have no desire to maintain a pleasant community here.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/chunkamui/2012/02/06/apples-iphone-sliver-of-the-market-lions-share-of-the-profits/
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/02/03/with-8-7-market-share-apple-has-75-of-cell-phone-profits/

If it's a joke how did it become the best selling phone Verizon offers? I only started this thread because it was reported that the RAZR MAXX is the best selling phone on Verizon this past quarter. That is a pretty big deal considering many pundits said it was game over for Motorola and Android in general when the Verizon iPhone launched. Sure it is running Gingerbread right now, but an update is close... Very close... and it's a very good update compared to the half warmed over iOS6 update that only certain devices will run or will run in it's full form. I own an iPad2 and half of the cool new stuff I can't even run. Why is that?

Profits are great, but Apple becoming richer and richer doesn't effect my pocketbook one bit. Motorola is now a subsidiary of Google so they aren't exactly poor. Buy whatever you want, but at least acknowledge that other companies other then Apple are capable of building great devices.

blackhand1001
Jun 14, 2012, 08:40 PM
This is another example of the media putting "iPhone" in their headline to get a few million hits, and add few thousand more dollars to their ad revenue. In what other industry would an analyst's claim be reported as truth?

----------

It's quite clear you made this thread as a subtle troll, with the words "is this true" to cover it up.

The cpu in the razr maxx is faster than the iPhone 4's. It also trumps the iphone in battery life by more than double. The battery life really is that good and to a lot of people thats a very important factor in choosing a smartphone. Also the build quality is top notch. It feels high quality and it can take a drop much better than the iPhone.

lordofthereef
Jun 14, 2012, 08:43 PM
The cpu in the razr maxx is faster than the iPhone 4's. It also trumps the iphone in battery life by more than double. The battery life really is that good and to a lot of people thats a very important factor in choosing a smartphone. Also the build quality is top notch. It feels high quality and it can take a drop much better than the iPhone.

Comparing cpu clock speeds is so far from relevant anymore it's not even funny.

blackhand1001
Jun 14, 2012, 08:48 PM
Comparing cpu clock speeds is so far from relevant anymore it's not even funny.

They're both cortex a9 cpu's so comparing clock speeds is completely relevant. And if you put the iPhone against the snapdragon s4 the iPhone gets trampled.

DeathChill
Jun 14, 2012, 08:52 PM
Too lazy to read the entire thread but the entire thing comes from an ANALYST. They said the same thing about the Thunderbolt and then, surprise, it wasn't even close to true when the numbers were reported.

I'd wait for official numbers from Verizon's quarter before declaring victory either way.

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 08:53 PM
They're both cortex a9 cpu's so comparing clock speeds is completely relevant. And you put the iPhone against the snapdragon s4 the iPhone gets trampled.

The iPhone 4S has better performance than the Razr, this is not up for debate, as it's simply a comparison of numbers. The iPhone 4S beats the Razr in 100% of CPU benchmarks.

DakotaGuy
Jun 14, 2012, 09:00 PM
The iPhone 4S has better performance than the Razr, this is not up for debate, as it's simply a comparison of numbers. The iPhone 4S beats the Razr in 100% of CPU benchmarks.

I can promise the RAZR MAXX has MUCH better network and battery performance then the iPhone 4S. This is not up for debate.

Fact is we could go round and round all day and night. Both have strengths and weaknesses, but in the end they are both good devices.

einmusiker
Jun 14, 2012, 09:07 PM
I think the incredible iphone sales are the thing of the past after verizon kills unlimited data. 4G speeds and $80 for a gb of shared data? no thank you. I preordered the s3 and will probably get the 4g iphone when I can find one used on fleabay for about $200 (probably 2 years after it's release). No way I'm willingly giving up unlimited data

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 09:29 PM

Still waiting to see actual proof of this rather than you just saying so :rolleyes: I already posted results from several benchmarks where the Razr Maxx beat the 4s.

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 09:49 PM
Still waiting to see actual proof of this rather than you just saying so :rolleyes: I already posted results from several benchmarks where the Razr Maxx beat the 4s.

Razr Maxx

Single thread: 50
Multi thread: 82

http://hothardware.com/articleimages/Item1802/linpack.png

iPhone 4S

Single thread

http://i.imgur.com/fmKGRl.png

Multi thread

http://i.imgur.com/dlELbl.png

The iPhone 4S has better performance.

----------

I can promise the RAZR MAXX has MUCH better network and battery performance then the iPhone 4S. This is not up for debate.

Fact is we could go round and round all day and night. Both have strengths and weaknesses, but in the end they are both good devices.

I agree.

blackhand1001
Jun 14, 2012, 09:51 PM
Razr Maxx

Image (http://hothardware.com/articleimages/Item1802/linpack.png)

iPhone 4S

Single thread

Image (http://i.imgur.com/fmKGRl.png)

Multi thread

Image (http://i.imgur.com/dlELbl.png)

----------

I agree.

Linpack is not optimized for the dalvik virtual machine and is only a good benchmark for comparing android phones to other android phones. It is not a good comparison to other platforms. Pick another benchmark if you want accurate results.

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 09:52 PM
Too lazy to read the entire thread but the entire thing comes from an ANALYST. They said the same thing about the Thunderbolt and then, surprise, it wasn't even close to true when the numbers were reported.

I'd wait for official numbers from Verizon's quarter before declaring victory either way.

Precisely. I mentioned this earlier, this is another example of websites making sensationalist headlines for page hits. In what other industry would the claims of an analyst be reported as truth?

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 09:55 PM
Razr Maxx

Image (http://hothardware.com/articleimages/Item1802/linpack.png)

iPhone 4S

Single thread

Image (http://i.imgur.com/fmKGRl.png)

Multi thread

Image (http://i.imgur.com/dlELbl.png)

----------

I agree.

Seriously? LOL. Linpack is for ANDROID phones dude. Then you post some screenshots from who's phone? Yours? Nice try. I can run a speedtest on my phone, take a screen shot and then compare it to some random person's 4s speedtest and claim I win too. I want to see a test done by actual pros, you know, like the one I posted where the Maxx beat the 4s in all but the GL bench :)

DeathChill
Jun 14, 2012, 09:57 PM
mbell1975 really confuses me. He originally joined as an Android troll, got banned, came back as an iPhone troll for a few weeks and is back to being an Android troll. Weird.

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 10:10 PM
Linpack is not optimized for the dalvik virtual machine and is only a good benchmark for comparing android phones to other android phones. It is not a good comparison to other platforms. Pick another benchmark if you want accurate results.

If you're trying to compare CPU to CPU, then no, but that's not what we're comparing here. We are comparing the relative performance of the two phones. Based on my research of Linpack:

The LINPACK Benchmarks are a measure of a systemís floating point computing power. Introduced by Jack Dongarra, they measure how fast a computer solves a dense N by N system of linear equations Ax*=*b, which is a common task in engineering. The solution is obtained by Gaussian elimination with partial pivoting, with 2/3*N3*+*2*N2 floating point operations. The result is reported in Millions of FLoating-point Operations Per Second (MFLOP/s, sometimes simply called FLOPS).

http://www.greenecomputing.com/apps/linpack/

This is a common task, which is why MFLOPS are a commonly used measurement of computing power. Whenever you read about a new processor or super computer they will talk about the MFLOPS.

In short, even if your argument is that Android is holding the CPU back with its Dalvik Virtual Machine configuration, that does not negate the fact that the iPhone 4S has more MFLOPS available for its developers, resulting in better performance.

Indy21
Jun 14, 2012, 10:17 PM
Wow! I want atleast a 3300mah battery in my 6th gen iphone this fall!

The maxx battery is impressive.

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 10:18 PM
Seriously? LOL. Linpack is for ANDROID phones dude. Then you post some screenshots from who's phone? Yours? Nice try. I can run a speedtest on my phone, take a screen shot and then compare it to some random person's 4s speedtest and claim I win too. I want to see a test done by actual pros, you know, like the one I posted where the Maxx beat the 4s in all but the GL bench :)

You have not posted any CPU benchmarks. Do you have any technical arguments on why you believe the evidence I have posted is invalid?

ChrisTX
Jun 14, 2012, 10:19 PM
How many Razr MAxx's will Motorola sell to the customer compared to the amount of iPhone's Apple will sell to the customer this year? Don't say that it doesn't matter because isn't thsat the point of this thread in the first place? Don't let these stats fool you, the iPhone is still king of overall sales.

Dbrown
Jun 14, 2012, 10:56 PM
Google used to do the same thing back in the cupcake donut days when a phone wasn't capable of running something and I'm sure they still do.

No, they dont. There's no such thing as a "lite" version of AOSP. Unlike apple, google doesn't place artificial restrictions on hardware.

Secondly how does a missing feature compare to an entire missing OS. Android phones sometimes SHIP for the first time with an older OS then current and then never even get the new OS!?!? Like wtf.

So what? If someone wants a phone with the latest version of android, buy a nexus. Believe it or not, lots of people don't give a crap what version of android they're running as long as they can do all the basic stuff they expect from a smartphone.

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 11:07 PM
How many Razr MAxx's will Motorola sell to the customer compared to the amount of iPhone's Apple will sell to the customer this year?

LOL what?

Motorola can only sell the Maxx for Verizon's network since thats all its on. Apple can sell iPhone's for THREE different networks. Of course Apple will sell more total iPhones than Motorola will sell Maxx's. Don't be absurd.

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 11:07 PM
So what? If someone wants a phone with the latest version of android, buy a nexus.

The Nexus being an option, does not negate his statement that:

Android phones sometimes SHIP for the first time with an older OS then current and then never even get the new OS!?!?

His post before that said:

Ok how about numbers. 100% of apple iPhones get the latest OS at the same time on the same release day. Less then 1% of android phones for sale get the latest release on release day. Less then 10% ever get it and it takes about 6 months to even get to 10%. How can you compare those 2 and call it the same thing.

Naming one phone that gets updates quicker than the rest, also do not negate his numbers.

DodgeV83
Jun 14, 2012, 11:21 PM
LOL what?

Motorola can only sell the Maxx for Verizon's network since thats all its on. Apple can sell iPhone's for THREE different networks. Of course Apple will sell more total iPhones than Motorola will sell Maxx's. Don't be absurd.

The iPhone has sold more on Verizon, than the Razr Maxx has sold on Verizon.

According to the hard official numbers, not analyst guesses (which this thread is based on), the iPhone sold more than all LTE devices combined on Verizon in Q1 2012.

Of all the devices that Verizon sold in the first quarter, 2.9 million were LTE-capable...Verizon also sold 3.2 million iPhones in Q1 2012.

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/04/19/verizon-shares-q1-2012-results-reports-734-000-subs-added/

Again, these analysts have been wrong many times in the past. Some are known for creating reports like this simply to create huge headlines and free publicity for their firm, only to be completely wrong when the official quarterly report comes in. This quarter isn't over yet, we're less than halfway through June.

DakotaGuy
Jun 15, 2012, 04:28 AM
The iPhone has sold more on Verizon, than the Razr Maxx has sold on Verizon.

According to the hard official numbers, not analyst guesses (which this thread is based on), the iPhone sold more than all LTE devices combined on Verizon in Q1 2012.

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/04/19/verizon-shares-q1-2012-results-reports-734-000-subs-added/

Again, these analysts have been wrong many times in the past. Some are known for creating reports like this simply to create huge headlines and free publicity for their firm, only to be completely wrong when the official quarterly report comes in. This quarter isn't over yet, we're less than halfway through June.

Your right we don't know this yet, but if it is true considering the numbers from 1st quarter then I'd say the MAXX has pulled off a pretty big upset. It wouldn't really surprise me either way. It is always a given that the iPhone will sell well no matter what, however the MAXX is a heck of a good device that fixes the biggest problem with LTE handsets and a lot of smartphones in general... Battery performance.

dave420
Jun 15, 2012, 06:16 AM
LOL what?

Why can't Motorla make the Maxx for other networks like AT&T? I'm sure many people would want it and it would sell well.

ChrisTX
Jun 15, 2012, 07:07 AM
LOL what?

I understand that the Sprint, and AT&T don't carry the device, but I wasn't aware that it was a US only release. :cool:

DakotaGuy
Jun 15, 2012, 07:37 AM
I wonder if the iPhones lack of 4G LTE isn't starting to hurt it a bit at least on Verizon. I work with a couple of guys who want to upgrade before June 28th to keep their old plans and unlimited data and they are going for the MAXX. They don't want the iPhone because they will be stuck on a 3G only device when we live in a strong LTE area.

I know we have debated back and forth whether people even want LTE phones, but I think as long as they have good battery life and live in an LTE area they do. Considering Verizon turns on more and more 4G LTE areas everyday I can see the iPhone becoming less attractive until Apple finally gets with the program and makes a phone that works with these networks.

ChazUK
Jun 15, 2012, 08:04 AM
All of this chatter over something an Analyst said may come back to bite some people on the arse.

I've seen too many Analysts churn out predictions that turned out to be completely untrue that I've learned to ignore news articles that pick up on them. I'd only ever accept sales figures from Verizon myself.

Still, the bickering must go on! :p

aristobrat
Jun 15, 2012, 08:25 AM
Is this true?

If so that is a pretty rare occurrence.
It's happened every year that Verizon has sold the iPhone. :D

Seems to happen when an impressive Android device launches during the final months of the existing iPhone's cycle.

Last year, it was the HTC ThunderBolt.

ThunderBolt outsells iPhone 4 at Verizon (http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/20/thunderbolt-outsells-iphone-4-at-verizon-firm-claims/)

Be interesting to see if Android manufacturers continue to target that window!

TG1
Jun 15, 2012, 08:46 AM
I wonder if the iPhones lack of 4G LTE isn't starting to hurt it a bit at least on Verizon.
It did for me. With Verizon offering double the data for 4G LTE phones, it made little sense for me to go with the 4S over the Maxx. And with my town lit up with LTE, I didn't want to wait another year to use it. If nothing else, I locked in double the data for when/if I come back for an LTE iPhone. :)

surma884
Jun 15, 2012, 08:55 AM

It has a Pentile screen. Aren't those not as good as regular RGB screens?

TG1
Jun 15, 2012, 09:19 AM
It has a Pentile screen. Aren't those not as good as regular RGB screens?
It is pentile. For my eyes, colors are a little more vibrant on the Super Amoled Advanced display of the Razr Maxx, but the retina display has a clear advantage (no pun intended) in sharpness and clarity. For a person who does a lot of reading on his phone, I much prefer the retina display.

lordofthereef
Jun 15, 2012, 10:35 AM
They're both cortex a9 cpu's so comparing clock speeds is completely relevant. And if you put the iPhone against the snapdragon s4 the iPhone gets trampled.

Load the same OS on both kits of hardware and we can talk. Until then, comparing simple clock speed numbers is still largely irrelevant. If I am running a hardware benchmark, I am not going to run a bench using OSX on one and Windows on another, even if the exact same hardware is being used. THat is an absolute silly thing to do, yet those are the comparisons being made. Not to mention the fact that we aren't even gauging real world use. A bunch of numbers means nothing. If the Android runs like complete crap in real world use (or vice versa) THAT is what matters. These benchmarks are nowhere close to giving us actual values that tell real world performance.

As a side note, there are some scores where the 3GS outperforms the 4 because of the huge resolution bump. The difference between the maxx's enormous display may (or may not) be enough to compensate for differences like this. Again why a simple benchmark doesn't tell the whole picture.

----------

Why can't Motorla make the Maxx for other networks like AT&T? I'm sure many people would want it and it would sell well.

Licensing.

Technarchy
Jun 15, 2012, 10:41 PM
Can we finally put this delusional fantasy to rest.

http://photos.appleinsider.com/canaccord-120605.jpg

JAT
Jun 16, 2012, 12:43 AM
The iPhone 4S performs better in all CPU and GPU benchmarks shared between the two platforms.

False again...Scroll down halfway to Benchmarks.

Don't care.
Seriously?

DodgeV83
Jun 16, 2012, 01:49 AM
Seriously?

Lol, I try not to feed the trolls, let's not get him going again :)

mbell1975
Jun 16, 2012, 03:26 AM
Seriously?

His only proof were Linpack results from the Maxx and then screenshots from some random iPhone. Hardly an official test. I posted OFFICIAL results from real tests that had the Maxx beating the 4s. why don't you go find a test that proves otherwise

DakotaGuy
Jun 16, 2012, 07:35 AM
His only proof were Linpack results from the Maxx and then screenshots from some random iPhone. Hardly an official test. I posted OFFICIAL results from real tests that had the Maxx beating the 4s. why don't you go find a test that proves otherwise

I'm not sure about all these benchmarks, but I do know when my friend and I compare speeds from his iPhone 4S and my MAXX everything network dependent loads a LOT faster on my MAXX. My battery lasts longer and overall there just isn't much speed difference. I don't understand why some think the iPhone is so much better because it's not.

DodgeV83
Jun 16, 2012, 09:18 AM

You have not posted any CPU benchmarks. Do you have any technical arguments on why you believe the evidence I have posted is invalid?

marksman
Jun 16, 2012, 09:39 AM
Umm, a quarter is THREE months, not one :rolleyes:

Plus, I have seen Verizon's salesmen pushing the 4s in the store so many times its ridiculous. Verizon paid a TON to get 4.2 million iPhones, you bet your butt they want their money back off them. Not to mention all the posters for the iPhone everywhere in the store, not one for the Maxx.

No AT&T or Verizon sales person is pushing the iPhone to customers. That is not how these carrier sale stores work. iPhone's are never specially incentivized so sales people can always make more money steering people to some other phone at any given time.

DodgeV83
Jun 16, 2012, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure about all these benchmarks, but I do know when my friend and I compare speeds from his iPhone 4S and my MAXX everything network dependent loads a LOT faster on my MAXX. My battery lasts longer and overall there just isn't much speed difference. I don't understand why some think the iPhone is so much better because it's not.

If you stick to the basics, your analysis is spot on. LTE is faster, and it has a much bigger battery. I choose the iPhone primarily for the apps, Apple's proprietary services, and the camera.

You can easily tell the performance difference when scrolling web pages, playing graphic intensive games, running any processor-heavy apps, or just navigating the home page, but that doesn't bother a lot of people.

aristobrat
Jun 16, 2012, 09:45 AM
The graph you posted was based on "Canaccord Genuity monthly channel checks".

This thread was started from an article where "William Blair financial analyst, Anil Doradla claims...", where the claims are also based on "checks" that his company did.

Until carriers (or OEMs) start releasing sales figures, I don't think speculation like this is ever going to be put at rest. Especially considering how much free publicity analysts get from writing stuff like this (not to mention how many gazillion extra clicks blogs/tech news sites get for publishing stories like this).

Interestingly, it doesn't seem like the guy that wrote this article thinks the MAXX will have much of an effect on Apple.
"William Blair’s Anil Doradla today reiterates an Outperform rating on shares of Apple (AAPL), writing that he is not concerned the company’s iPhone will lose its rank as the top smartphone in North America, even though there is slippage appearing, in particular at Verizon Communications"
http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2012/06/11/apple-william-blair-unfazed-as-iphone-slips-at-verizon/

mbell1975
Jun 16, 2012, 10:48 AM
You can easily tell the performance difference when scrolling web pages, playing graphic intensive games, running any processor-heavy apps, or just navigating the home page, but that doesn't bother a lot of people.

No you can't. If that were true, I would have sold my Maxx and kept my 4s rather than the other way around. The Maxx does everything as fast or faster and outdated 3G is a joke compared to LTE

Bobby Corwen
Jun 16, 2012, 11:19 AM
No you can't. If that were true, I would have sold my Maxx and kept my 4s rather than the other way around. The Maxx does everything as fast or faster and outdated 3G is a joke compared to LTE

Oh please. Verizon is like a wanna-be techie cult. They have you BRAINWASHED.

Verizon is for people who don't realize that other carriers have caught up in terms of tower coverage and the premiums on Verizon are silly and not worth it anymore.

Their business model is what Sprint/Nextel used to be where they sell corporate style and trick you into thinking you are more important than you really are.

Verizon reps only care about commissions on a data chart and have a career-long bias against iphone due to ignorance.

The whole Verizon "thing" is so 2008.

Last I heard, AT&T 3.5G is faster than LTE in almost all places considering you rarely get maxx throughput on LTE.

And don't be Delusioned OP. Verizon is the cult that makes you think that stuff matters when all that matters the most is the OS.

Android is just shovel-ware and no specs will change that. An open system can never perform as smooth as a closed system.

I love how worked up people get even to this day. Just some guy in the middle of nowhere south Dakota cultivating this whole parallel uniberse in his mind.

Hey bro, did you realize all the cool people around the world all use Apple in 2012? Maybe in your own little world in your small town people take the same insecure anti-apple stance. But globally, people are laughing at you and your petty approach to this.

You are boasting about nothing special at all.

Inertial scrolling is still garbage and touch response is still garbage. GUI is still garbage. Apps are still garbage. Overall details are still garbage.

mbell1975
Jun 16, 2012, 11:25 AM
Oh please. Verizon is like a wanna-be techie cult. They have you BRAINWASHED.

Verizon is for people who don't realize that other carriers have caught up in terms of tower coverage and the premiums on Verizon are silly and not worth it anymore.

Their business model is what Sprint/Nextel used to be where they sell corporate style and trick you into thinking you are more important than you really are.

Verizon reps only care about commissions on a data chart and have a career-long bias against iphone due to ignorance.

The whole Verizon "thing" is so 2008.

Last I heard, AT&T 3.5G is faster than LTE in almost all places considering you rarely get maxx throughput on LTE.

And don't be Delusioned OP. Verizon is the cult that makes you think that stuff matters when all that matters the most is the OS.

Android is just shovel-ware and no specs will change that. An open system can never perform as smooth as a closed system.

I love how worked up people get even to this day. Just some guy in the middle of nowhere south Dakota cultivating this whole parallel uniberse in his mind.

Hey bro, did you realize all the cool people around the world all use Apple in 2012? Maybe in your own little world in your small town people take the same insecure anti-apple stance. But globally, people are laughing at you and your petty approach to this.

Inertial scrolling is still garbage and touch response is still garbage. GUI is still garbage. Apps are still garbage. Overall details are still garbage.

LOL, how old are you? 10? Sounds like it. Yes, I desperately want to be cool just like everyone else! All I need is an iPhone? Kids like you are the ones who give Apple and iPhone a bad name, just stop. Oh and which carrier is best depends on where you live. I have actually been on all 4 major ones. Verizon has the fastest speeds and best coverage out here, but thanks :)

Bobby Corwen
Jun 16, 2012, 11:32 AM
LOL, how old are you? 10? Sounds like it. Yes, I desperately want to be cool just like everyone else! All I need is an iPhone? Kids like you are the ones who give Apple and iPhone a bad name, just stop. Oh and which carrier is best depends on where you live. I have actually been on all 4 major ones. Verizon has the fastest speeds and best coverage out here, but thanks :)

What a childish response.

Electric turd
Jun 16, 2012, 11:41 AM

Did you even read what you typed earlier? You call him childish???!!! LOL
After reading posts of yours i'm starting to think you are on the Apple payroll.....
You love the Kool Aid dont you?

Bobby Corwen
Jun 16, 2012, 11:46 AM
Did you even read what you typed earlier? You call him childish???!!! LOL
After reading posts of yours i'm starting to think you are on the Apple payroll.....
You love the Kool Aid dont you?

If Phil Schiller needs a sidekick, he knows where I am. He can just PM me for a contact email.

Electric turd
Jun 16, 2012, 11:51 AM
If Phil Schiller needs a sidekick, he knows where I am. He can just PM me for a contact email.

You know, I am a very open minded person but to be honest nothing you ever post on here makes a lick of sense to probably 99.9% of the people that read it. Good luck.....you going to need it

ChrisTX
Jun 16, 2012, 11:51 AM
Considering when polled, many users of the iPhone 4 thought the 4 stood for 4G. I'd say many people are opting for the Razr Maxx due to the newness factor. The iPhone 4S design is growing long in the tooth at this point, and people want something new that provides similar functionality to the iPhone.

Bobby Corwen
Jun 16, 2012, 11:55 AM
You know, I am a very open minded person but to be honest nothing you ever post on here makes a lick of sense to probably 99.9% of the people that read it. Good luck.....you going to need it

And yet here we are, I dropped a gauntlet on you with my final sentence of my initial post that you still are unable to respond to and instead here you are attempting to malign my character instead of giving any rebuttals to my points of discussion.

Vegastouch
Jun 16, 2012, 12:23 PM

Pretty much all your responses are childish.

Nobody swallows the Apple seed more than you do :rolleyes:

Bobby Corwen
Jun 16, 2012, 12:28 PM
Pretty much all your responses are childish.

Nobody swallows the Apple seed more than you do :rolleyes:

And all your post are negative hate and you still have a iPhone 2g. What are you doing here if everythin makes you so angry?

Do you think you're "cool" because you didn't upgrade? To make some grand yet misguided awkward gesture that "the 2G fits all your needs" an you don't care to upgrade.

Ok you're reallll cool... Lol lol lol

Vegastouch
Jun 16, 2012, 12:34 PM
And all your post are negative hate and you still have a iPhone 2g. What are you doing here if everythin makes you so angry?

Do you think you're "cool" because you didn't upgrade? To make some grand yet misguided awkward gesture that "the 2G fits all your needs" an you don't care to upgrade.

Ok you're reallll cool... Lol lol lol

:rolleyes: I dont use the 2G...lol. Its in the box along with everything it came with for the past two years.

Most of your posts are beyond lame and childish jibberish. Maybe thats why you have negative marks in everyone of them. Ever think of that?

I agree with the guy that asks if you are 10. But i believe you are much older, ....around 15 at least. Thats your mentality anyways and wouldnt doubt if Justin Bieber is one of those "cool people" you are refering to.

UCLAKoolman
Jun 16, 2012, 12:44 PM
Can someone help me understand why someone would come to an iPhone forum and complain about why people think their iPhone is better than X phone?

To me, this behavior always reeks of insecurity.

Bobby Corwen
Jun 16, 2012, 01:10 PM
:rolleyes: I dont use the 2G...lol. Its in the box along with everything it came with for the past two years.

Most of your posts are beyond lame and childish jibberish. Maybe thats why you have negative marks in everyone of them. Ever think of that?

I agree with the guy that asks if you are 10. But i believe you are much older, ....around 15 at least. Thats your mentality anyways and wouldnt doubt if Justin Bieber is one of those "cool people" you are refering to.

1. Calls me childish.

2. Childishly attacks my character instead of staying on topic.

Okkkkk....

Ps. Why don't you update your sig lol

Pps. Now there something wrong with JB? He took over Earth at 15 with one hit single bro. If you can't respect that, what do you respect? What did you achieve by age 15 that compares?

Technarchy
Jun 16, 2012, 01:21 PM
Can someone help me understand why someone would come to an iPhone forum and complain about why people think their iPhone is better than X phone?

To me, this behavior always reeks of insecurity.

Android users love Apple hangouts

DakotaGuy
Jun 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
Last I heard, AT&T 3.5G is faster than LTE in almost all places considering you rarely get maxx throughput...

Wow what a well thought out mature response.

Just a couple of points... if AT&TS 3.5G or whatever is far superior to LTE why is AT&T going to LTE themselves? Why is the new iPad LTE? Sounds like a waste of time and billions of dollars.

Second, how in the world does the place I live have any bearing on this discussion? Oh I know you brought it up to try and hurt my feelings... lol. Good try, but no luck. I assume you live in a huge city with tons of cars, noise, concrete, pollution and crime. I'm sure all of that is exciting, but I prefer to walk out my back door and smell fresh pine in the morning. Wake up on a spring morning and see a doe and her fawns in my back yard. Even with all that I still have Verizon LTE service and fast cable net to my house... heck probably even faster then what you have.

Once again I love where I live and personally would never trade my life for one in a concrete jungle. Oh by the way all sorts of people in South Dakota have iPhones so don't think carrying one makes you some sort of a highly refined and sophisticated city dweller.

Vegastouch
Jun 16, 2012, 01:34 PM
1. Calls me childish.

You get called this by somebody nearly everytime you post. Must to something to it , eh?

2. Childishly attacks my character instead of staying on topic.

Okkkkk....

LOL, calling the kettle black?
By Bobby Corwen
Ps. Why don't you update your sig lol

I did, maybe you cant read and ill update it again here in about a week when i get the GS3.

Pps. Now there something wrong with JB? He took over Earth at 15 with one hit single bro. If you can't respect that, what do you respect? What did you achieve by age 15 that compares?

LOL, thanks for confirming that you are about 15. Only kids think Bieber is cool. I think his music sux myself but kudos to him for having some talent and he seems like a good kid. Just isnt my style at all. Seriously...does any dude who isnt a teenager think that his song "Baby" or whatever it is called is cool?

Maybe you might have liked the group Hanson too and their one hit?:rolleyes: Maybe they have iPhones too? Wouldnt that be something! :D

lordofthereef
Jun 16, 2012, 03:47 PM

There is nothing wrong with him, per se, except your understanding of him seems completely flawed. Music companies made him, not the other way around. He is a pretty face with a voice better than terrible that tweens go crazy for. Ever heard "sex sells"? That is basically what that is... except it's for a demographic where we can't say that out loud because we would be bad people if we did. And by the way, it has been happening for some time now. Singers are being sold younger and younger each day. Look at all the twenty-somethings and thirty-somethings. They all got famous in their early teens too. Just about the only child singer that I can think of that didn't explode in popularity for his looks was Michael Jackson.

But now we are wwwwWWWWAAYYYYyyyyy off toipc! :P

CrAkD
Jun 16, 2012, 03:55 PM
I can't believe you guys are still arguing about this.

JAT
Jun 16, 2012, 10:16 PM

You posted zero tests about his point. Do you not read? Look at the posts I quoted. Argue points with comprehension. You did it with Bobby Corwen, Bieber lover. But you've refused to with Dodge.

I'll bet I can throw a Maxx farther than I can throw a 4s, too. Because it will spin faster. But that doesn't mean its cpu is faster. (I'm a DGer, I have some skill)

blackhand1001
Jun 16, 2012, 10:31 PM

Image (http://photos.appleinsider.com/canaccord-120605.jpg)

I wonder what happens if you combine the sales of the regular razr with that of the maxx. The only difference between the two is the battery. The software builds are identical as is all the hardware. Seems fair since they are including the different gb sizes with the 4s.

I.Love.Apple
Jun 17, 2012, 02:04 AM
You posted zero tests about his point. Do you not read? Look at the posts I quoted. Argue points with comprehension. You did it with Bobby Corwen, Bieber lover. But you've refused to with Dodge.

I'll bet I can throw a Maxx farther than I can throw a 4s, too. Because it will spin faster. But that doesn't mean its cpu is faster. (I'm a DGer, I have some skill)

RAZR indeed has faster CPU than iPhone 4S as reported by Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4981/motorola-droid-razr-performance-preview-improved-browser-performance). Anandtech tested RAZR with Android 2.3.5. Android performance improved greatly with ICS which means that Anandtech charts probably do not accurately reflect the raw CPU performance for RAZR.

Technarchy
Jun 17, 2012, 03:24 AM
6 pages in and only one person has posted sales figures...figures that show the iPhone 4S is still the best selling smart phone in the world.

JAT
Jun 17, 2012, 09:39 AM
RAZR indeed has faster CPU than iPhone 4S as reported by Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4981/motorola-droid-razr-performance-preview-improved-browser-performance). Anandtech tested RAZR with Android 2.3.5. Android performance improved greatly with ICS which means that Anandtech charts probably do not accurately reflect the raw CPU performance for RAZR.

You're right, of course. I should've added the word "performance". Apple's integration is better, thus better tests. For now.

But also, you posted more browser tests, not cpu.

Vegastouch
Jun 17, 2012, 11:48 AM
6 pages in and only one person has posted sales figures...figures that show the iPhone 4S is still the best selling smart phone in the world.

Not that it even matters but you havent done any research and are just guessing....for your own bias.

I wrote This (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14950853&postcount=153) response to somebody in another thread who said 70% of smartphones sold in Japan were iPhones. Just isnt true and i added some more info. Though his claim was different than yours, i thought id repost this anyways. But again, who cares. Use what you like.

Some seem to really care who is #1. Apple sells one phone so no single Android device will be #1 but overall Android is selling many more smartphones than Apple, ..which stands to reason. However, the GS3 could come close.

mbell1975
Jun 17, 2012, 12:10 PM
You're right, of course. I should've added the word "performance". Apple's integration is better, thus better tests. For now.

But also, you posted more browser tests, not cpu.

Browser tests ARE CPU tests! :rolleyes: If you think otherwise, please post these CPU tests you speak of. We will be waiting...

DodgeV83
Jun 17, 2012, 12:13 PM

More browser benchmarks being used as evidence to show the phone has better CPU performance :(

mbell1975
Jun 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
More browser benchmarks being used as evidence to show the phone has better CPU performance :(

Ok, post a CPU test then. Browsermark bench's are how they test CPUs :rolleyes:

DodgeV83
Jun 17, 2012, 12:17 PM
Browser tests ARE CPU tests! :rolleyes: If you think otherwise, please post these CPU tests you speak of. We will be waiting...

I've posted them mbell1975. I know you've seen them, because you've commented on them.

...I'm starting to thing debating with you is an effort in futility. If you can't remember the proof I posted to prove you wrong just a few pages back, what's the point?

mbell1975
Jun 17, 2012, 12:25 PM
I've posted them mbell1975. I know you've seen them, because you've commented on them.

...I'm starting to thing debating with you is an effort in futility. If you can't remember the proof I posted to prove you wrong just a few pages back, what's the point?

That was a LINPACK test for ANDROID phones you compared your own phone too LMAO. I mean actual studies done by pro companies, not some fanboy running tests on his iPhone from his house :rolleyes:

AdrianK
Jun 17, 2012, 12:27 PM
Browser tests ARE CPU tests! :rolleyes:
You can't say that because two devices have different components other the CPU and are running different OSes. There's a reason dedicated benchmarking apps exists. Have you seen the difference between Safari running with and without the nitro-engine enabled?

mbell1975
Jun 17, 2012, 12:35 PM
You can't say that because two devices have different components other the CPU and are running different OSes. There's a reason dedicated benchmarking apps exists. Have you seen the difference between Safari running with and without the nitro-engine enabled?

Well Browsermark and Sunspider are the two tests most every review site uses to test CPUs, so yea.

DodgeV83
Jun 17, 2012, 12:39 PM
That was a LINPACK test for ANDROID phones you compared your own phone too LMAO. I mean actual studies done by pro companies, not some fanboy running tests on his iPhone from his house :rolleyes:

1. Why do you keep saying Linpack is an Android benchmark. Are you not aware that Linpack has been around long before Android?

2. You are using "pro companies" here to describe Internet blogs. Your whole argument here tells me you really do not understand how benchmarks work. Everyone everywhere receives the exact same hardware, benchmarks results are the same, especially when everyone is using the same app to run the benchmark. The result is not dictated by who pushes the button, it's dictated by the hardware.

3. You have no evidence that those screenshots are from my device, but even if they were, I have asked 3 times for your technical argument why my evidence is invalid, and you have ignored my question all three times.

4. http://i.imgur.com/w3jyol.png

Since this seems to be what you are looking for, do you have a technical argument against this "pro" result, that came out identical to the one I posted?

AdrianK
Jun 17, 2012, 12:50 PM
Well Browsermark and Sunspider are the two tests most every review site uses to test CPUs, so yea.
Those are browser benchmarks. They benchmark browser performance, not CPU performance.
This is SunSpider, a JavaScript benchmark. This benchmark tests the core JavaScript language only, not the DOM or other browser APIs. It is designed to compare different versions of the same browser, and different browsers to each other.

Technarchy
Jun 17, 2012, 12:56 PM
Some seem to really care who is #1. Apple sells one phone so no single Android device will be #1 but overall Android is selling many more smartphones than Apple, ..which stands to reason. However, the GS3 could come close.

The whole point of the thread is who is number one on Verizon, and by your own admission there is no way in hell it's that droid turd the RAZR.

And for those that can't count, Apple sells three iPhones, not one.

chiefpavvy
Jun 17, 2012, 01:01 PM
So, thread title is a lie. Nothing to see here, move along. iPhone remains the top seller at Verizon.

Vegastouch
Jun 17, 2012, 01:14 PM
The whole point of the thread is who is number one on Verizon, and by your own admission there is no way in hell it's that droid turd the RAZR.

I dont have Verizon and dont care which one is #1. I responded to you saying the iPhone was best selling phone in the world and posted some links that it isnt by far the most used phone in the world. I suppose if Android just sold the Galaxy S line they would be #1 but who cares? I like that there are HTC phones as well....and others.
Compitition and choice are great things but you dont seem to like that.

And for those that can't count, Apple sells three iPhones, not one.

:rolleyes: They have one phone Bro. One is just the newest version. Nobody is buying a brand new 3GS and show me where you can even get one without going to eBay hoping you arent getting ripped off. Apple doesnt even sell it on their site and no carriers have it either.

DodgeV83
Jun 17, 2012, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=Technarchy;15064176]The whole point of the thread is who is number one on Verizon, and by your own admission there is no way in hell it's that droid turd the RAZR.

I didnt admit anything. I dont have Verizon and dont care which one is #1. I responded to you saying the iPhone was best selling phone in the world and posted some links that it isnt by far the most used phone in the world.

:rolleyes: They have one phone Bro. One is just the newest version. Nobody is buying a brand new 3GS and show me where you can even get one without going to eBay hoping you arent getting ripped off. Apple doesnt even sell it on their site and no carriers have it either.

The iPhone 3GS is on their site:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

Maybe it's not available in your country (if you aren't in the US).

Technarchy
Jun 17, 2012, 01:25 PM
:rolleyes: They have one phone Bro. One is just the newest version.

One phone rapes android 3 times then...

http://photos.appleinsider.com/12.02.23-comScore-1.jpg

Get's worse

http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/screen-shot-2012-04-11-at-12-04-49-pm.png

Vegastouch
Jun 17, 2012, 01:38 PM
One phone rapes android 3 times then...

Image (http://photos.appleinsider.com/12.02.23-comScore-1.jpg)

Get's worse

Image (http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/screen-shot-2012-04-11-at-12-04-49-pm.png)

Those are old figures but its what i expected. The newer Androids will fair better and the 4S was the least seller of the three there back then. The iPhone is the most popular here in the USA but not in the world. Spain for example uses Android phones more than three times as much.

Again, i dont care who sells more phones. People overall use Android more and i know that bothers you for some reason.

I expect the new iPhone to sell very well just because of the bigger screen alone. Doesnt bother me. They are good phones, just dont do the things i like that Android does but if i found a good deal on the newest one,(Craiglist, my friends who have a repair store) i might buy one for the hec of it.

Im not anti Apple at all. Not sure why you are anti Android.

Technarchy
Jun 17, 2012, 01:41 PM
Those are old figures but its what i expected. The newer Androids will fair better and the 4S was the least seller of the three there back then.

Yeah because more recent figures show how the i4S has fallen from grace.

http://photos.appleinsider.com/canaccord-120605.jpg

Vegastouch
Jun 17, 2012, 01:50 PM
Yeah because more recent figures show how the i4S has fallen from grace.

Image (http://photos.appleinsider.com/canaccord-120605.jpg)

I can find figures to support the other way too.

http://www.usingcellphones.com/10-cell-phone-bestselling-for-may-2012/

bestselling-for-may-2012
Here are the top 10 best selling phones Krusell version:

(-) Samsung i9300 Galaxy SIII
(1) Apple iPhone 4/4S
(2) Sony Xperia S
(3) Samsung i9100 Galaxy S II
(5) Samsung Galaxy Note
(-) HTC One S
(4) Sony Xperia U
(-) Samsung GT-B2710 / Xcover 271
(-) HTC One X
(6) Sony Ericsson XPERIA Arc / Arc S

Motorola Razr is #1 on Verizon
http://slumz.boxden.com/f244/motorola-droid-razr-maxx-top-selling-smartphone-verizon-wireless-sorry-iphone-1767299/

So what do we know? Smartphones sell well. One place says iPhone is #1, another says the Razr is on Verizon. In the grand scheme of things, who cares? The iPhone is #1 to you and thats all that matters. Ill be getting a GS3 and wont even consider a Razr or a iPhone when i upgrade.

mbell1975
Jun 17, 2012, 01:50 PM
Get's worse

Image (http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/screen-shot-2012-04-11-at-12-04-49-pm.png)

Well that one didn't work out too well did it? LOL The numbers have actually gotten worse for Apple since March. They are now down to 27% while Google is around 47%

http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/android-us.png?w=640&h=403

chiefpavvy
Jun 17, 2012, 02:48 PM
Well look here, intellectually dishonest fAndroid trolls posting away :D

The title of the thread is "RAZR MAXX knocks iPhone out of first place on Verizon" which is patently false.

Now that farce of an argument has been beaten you want to show vague charts showing Android OS capturing more market share than iOS. OK...Here's one you can track down next. Profits. I promise you will be disappointed :D :D :D

Vegastouch
Jun 17, 2012, 02:59 PM
Well look here, intellectually dishonest fAndroid trolls posting away :D

The title of the thread is "RAZR MAXX knocks iPhone out of first place on Verizon" which is patently false.

Now that farce of an argument has been beaten you want to show vague charts showing Android OS capturing more market share than iOS. OK...Here's one you can track down next. Profits. I promise you will be disappointed :D :D :D

What do i care about profits? Im not getting any of them and we all know Apple are the most expensive of any electronic devices out there. Why is that relevant at all?
Thats like me saying Samsung is #1 in all phone sales(which they are). Yeah, so?

chiefpavvy
Jun 17, 2012, 03:39 PM
What do i care about profits? Im not getting any of them and we all know Apple are the most expensive of any electronic devices out there. Why is that relevant at all?
Thats like me saying Samsung is #1 in all phone sales(which they are). Yeah, so?

Let's do a hypothetical here. Company A has only 25% market share, but reaps 80% of the profits. Company B has 50% market share, yet struggles to touch 10% of the profits (of the overall cellular handset market). Which do you think is more inclined to produce a better overall product (hardware and software). Apple has the advantage on the latter either way - as they control both completely...but just in general. This isn't rocket science.

EDIT: And let's talk developers, as well. Since either platform is at the mercy of them ultimately. Would you rather put your resources in to a project for a platform where people actually PAY for products or one where the majority purchase nothing?

Vegastouch
Jun 17, 2012, 05:01 PM
Let's do a hypothetical here. Company A has only 25% market share, but reaps 80% of the profits. Company B has 50% market share, yet struggles to touch 10% of the profits (of the overall cellular handset market). Which do you think is more inclined to produce a better overall product (hardware and software). Apple has the advantage on the latter either way - as they control both completely...but just in general. This isn't rocket science.

EDIT: And let's talk developers, as well. Since either platform is at the mercy of them ultimately. Would you rather put your resources in to a project for a platform where people actually PAY for products or one where the majority purchase nothing?

:rolleyes: Do you really want to get into this? You will look like a fool. Samsung alone makes many, many, many,many,many more products than Apple does.

Samsung has 28 active phones out that you can buy to Apples 3 and they sell the most phones in the world. Add in on top of that everything Samsung makes from BlueRay players to Refrigerators, TV's, MicroSD , SD cards, cameras, semiconductors, Apples parts, etc, etc, etc, etc.....

Thats just one company and they arent struggling. For something that isnt rocket science you sure are confused and mislead....blinded by Apple as i like to call it. Apple is a good company but c-mon....I dont think Samsung are having a hard time making quality products. Not to mention they make argueably the best TV's and now the best Android phone who Apple is sweating now.

Do you really think if they werent putting out quality products that Apple would be using them in their products? :rolleyes:

chiefpavvy
Jun 17, 2012, 05:19 PM
:rolleyes: Do you really want to get into this? You will look like a fool. Samsung alone makes many, many, many,many,many more products than Apple does.

Who cares?! I'm talking about phones here.

Samsung has 28 active phones out that you can buy to Apples 3 and they sell the most phones in the world. Add in on top of that everything Samsung makes from BlueRay players to Refrigerators, TV's, MicroSD , SD cards, cameras, semiconductors, Apples parts, etc, etc, etc, etc.....

Again, relevance? :rolleyes:

Thats just one company and they arent struggling. For something that isnt rocket science you sure are confused and mislead....blinded by Apple as i like to call it. Apple is a good company but c-mon....I dont think Samsung are having a hard time making quality products. Not to mention they make argueably the best TV's and now the best Android phone who Apple is sweating now.

Do you really think if they werent putting out quality products that Apple would be using them in their products? :rolleyes:

I didn't say they were struggling. I said they make almost nothing (comparatively speaking) versus Apple when it comes to pure profit on each handset sold. Which leads Apple to invest more in R&D and development and have more incentive to produce a better user experience. Which they have and continue to do.

Who gives a damn about TVs? You are all over the place.

Vegastouch
Jun 17, 2012, 05:25 PM
Who cares?! I'm talking about phones here.

Again, relevance? :rolleyes:

I didn't say they were struggling. I said they make almost nothing (comparatively speaking) versus Apple when it comes to pure profit on each handset sold. Which leads Apple to invest more in R&D and development and have more incentive to produce a better user experience. Which they have and continue to do.

Who gives a damn about TVs? You are all over the place.

OK, read it and weep

http://www.breakingviews.com/samsung-moves-on-from-japan-to-nibble-at-apple/21014294.article

Samsung, which made its name in televisions, is more of a smartphone company. Phones account for most of its sales, and earnings growth. It sells more of its Galaxy product than Apple does iPhones. Yet Samsung is still turning a profit on everything it makes.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405902,00.asp

Samsung, Apple Nab 90 Percent of Smartphone Profits

Devices from Samsung and Apple captured 50 percent of the global smartphone market in the first quarter - and 90 percent of its profits, according to Friday data from ABI Research.

The real question, ABI said, is whether or not anyone can truly break away and become a strong third contender.

It was more bad news for Nokia and Windows Phone, meanwhile. "At this point in the year, Nokia will have to grow its Windows Phone business 5000 percent in 2012 just to offset its declines in Symbian shipments," Michael Morgan, senior analyst for devices, applications & content at ABI, said in a statement.

For more on that, see Nokia's Deadline Is Now December 2012.

Breaking down the numbers, Samsung shipped 43 million smartphones in the first quarter, followed by Apple at 35 million.

My point is Samsung makes many products and they arent going to make crappy Phones and sacrifice sales their other lines in doing so. Thats bad business so theres your relevance.

Your lame bro...sure they make nothing of relevance...they only make parts for your beloved Apple :rolleyes: Yeah sure looks like Samsung isnt investing into R&D :rolleyes: The GS3 is going to be a big seller here.

Your claims have no merit. Now go away Fanboy!

chiefpavvy
Jun 17, 2012, 05:29 PM
Your claims have no merit. Now go away Fanboy!

LOL. The article you presented does neither A) break down the 90% profit figure between Apple / Samsung (Hint: it's about 80-10 in favor of Apple) and B) does not delineate handset sales, only total numbers. We both know that if the numbers were broken down, my claim would be substantiated. That being the vast majority of Android handsets sold are entry level to low-end units.

Vegastouch
Jun 17, 2012, 05:40 PM
LOL. The article you presented does neither A) break down the 90% profit figure between Apple / Samsung (Hint: it's about 80-10 in favor of Apple) and B) does not delineate handset sales, only total numbers. We both know that if the numbers were broken down, my claim would be substantiated. That being the vast majority of Android handsets sold are entry level to low-end units.

:rolleyes: Well lets see your breakdown. Your non article is worse. Refuting with nothing to show isnt doing a thing. I showed you some numbers that took me 30 seconds.

You really have a hard time with a company doing well against Apple dont you? I dont know why. Thats usually the kids that care about that because they arent smart enough to know compitition is good.

I dont have a problem with how many phones Apple sells. I couldnt care less. They are always going to sell even when the phone didnt get much of an upgrade like the 4S and that one was its least best seller because of it but still sold well.

The next one is going to sell very well because of the 4" screen alone but they have big compitition and theres nothing wrong with that. If not for that, you wouldnt be getting a 4" screen.

Technarchy
Jun 17, 2012, 05:40 PM
That being the vast majority of Android handsets sold are entry level to low-end units.

No one can deny that the bulk of android sales are junk phones, which feeds into why android ranks lower in ad impressions, web traffic, and app sales and profits.

They aren't using their phones because their phones are unusable.

Apple users use their devices more often, buy more apps and use more smart phone like features, while android puffs up it's sales numbers with outdated, poorly made fecal phones.

chiefpavvy
Jun 17, 2012, 05:51 PM
:rolleyes: Well lets see your breakdown. Your non article is worse. Refuting with nothing to show isnt doing a thing. I showed you some numbers that took me 30 seconds.

There is no "breakdown" because it seems Android handset vendors aren't too keen releasing figures by handset, with the exception of the high end models. February 2012 the Galaxy S2 hit 20 million sales but that was over a 10-month period. It is difficult to put any concrete figures on it. If the claim of 900,000 new activations (Android) daily is to be believed that would be 27 million per month, 81 million per quarter. Taking out an estimate for the high-end it is pretty easy to figure out -- as I said before -- the majority of sales on Android are entry-level to low-end models. Is it 50%? 60%? 70%? Doesn't really matter does it. It's the majority.

mbell1975
Jun 17, 2012, 06:29 PM
We both know that if the numbers were broken down, my claim would be substantiated. That being the vast majority of Android handsets sold are entry level to low-end units.

LOL, wrong as usual. Look at the top selling Android devices and they are ALL high end. Galaxy S3, S2, Note, Droid Razr/Maxx, Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X/S, Evo 4G, 3D, LTE, HTC Rezound etc...So actually, the vast majority of Android handsets sold are NOT entry level. If you grouped all those low end Android phones together, I doubt they make up even 10% of Androids sold. Nice try though :rolleyes:

BiggAW
Jun 17, 2012, 06:32 PM
Not surprising considering that the iPhone doesn't even support Verizon's flagship network.

Vegastouch
Jun 17, 2012, 06:32 PM
There is no "breakdown" because it seems Android handset vendors aren't too keen releasing figures by handset, with the exception of the high end models. February 2012 the Galaxy S2 hit 20 million sales but that was over a 10-month period. It is difficult to put any concrete figures on it. If the claim of 900,000 new activations (Android) daily is to be believed that would be 27 million per month, 81 million per quarter. Taking out an estimate for the high-end it is pretty easy to figure out -- as I said before -- the majority of sales on Android are entry-level to low-end models. Is it 50%? 60%? 70%? Doesn't really matter does it. It's the majority.

That article said "smartphones". So what you include in that low end, i dont know but doubt they are low end phones and since you arent providing any facts and just going off as usual..............You can keep guessing all day and posting frivolous numbers.

I dont really see why this is an issue for you. Some of you just like to see Apple win and be #1. Well nobody stays #1 forever. Nobody! And Apple is an American company so i like to see them do well (though they have their things made in China).
I have worked at the Apple campus in Cupertino and had conversations with those that worked there. So i dont have any ill will towards Apple at all but this fanboyism is ridiculous.

Samsung and HTC and Motorola make good phones and Android has really taken off. If its not for you , its not for you. There are other choices. I used to use an iPhone and now i dont but i use other Apple products.
I just like Android now for my phone and its many more features but would rather have an iPad if i ever get a Tablet. The screen on the iPad 3 is awesome but no way id spend the $2,200 for the retina display Macbook.

So who is #1 for me is irrelevant and who has the most profit dont matter to me either. HTC, Samsung and Apple are all doing well and making good products. Windows may catch up with some better phones/software so there are choices and that makes everything else better imo.

BiggAW
Jun 17, 2012, 06:33 PM
LOL, wrong as usual. Look at the top selling Android devices and they are ALL high end. Galaxy S3, S2, Note, Droid Razr/Maxx, Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X/S, Evo 4G, 3D, LTE, HTC Rezound etc...So actually, the vast majority of Android handsets sold are NOT entry level. If you grouped all those low end Android phones together, I doubt they make up even 10% of Androids sold. Nice try though :rolleyes:

Depends on the carrier. MetroPCS and MVNOs are selling the low-end stuff like crazy. The contract carriers steer you towards the high end stuff, as the price difference is tiny compared to the rest of the contract and data costs.

mbell1975
Jun 17, 2012, 06:53 PM
Depends on the carrier. MetroPCS and MVNOs are selling the low-end stuff like crazy.

You know this how? You have sales numbers for Metro PCS? Please share them if you do. Ok, well have a look at the Metro PCS lineup of Android phones. Do you see any $30 phones in there? I sure don't. Cheapest is $70 and most are well over $100. As I said in another post, for the last 9 months you can get a 3GS for FREE or an iPhone 4 for $99. So the argument that Android's numbers are rising so fast is because of all the cheap phones is garbage. If people REALLY wanted an iPhone, I am sure they would go for the 3GS or the 4 over an unknown Android phone. Doesn't seem they are though does it?

http://www.metropcs.com/metro/category/Phones/Android/cat190028

DodgeV83
Jun 17, 2012, 08:00 PM
You know this how? You have sales numbers for Metro PCS? Please share them if you do. Ok, well have a look at the Metro PCS lineup of Android phones. Do you see any $30 phones in there? I sure don't. Cheapest is $70 and most are well over $100. As I said in another post, for the last 9 months you can get a 3GS for FREE or an iPhone 4 for $99. So the argument that Android's numbers are rising so fast is because of all the cheap phones is garbage. If people REALLY wanted an iPhone, I am sure they would go for the 3GS or the 4 over an unknown Android phone. Doesn't seem they are though does it?

http://www.metropcs.com/metro/category/Phones/Android/cat190028

mbell1975, this is another illogical post :(

What's cheaper?

1. A free phone, with a two year contract and $90 monthly fee (cheapest phone plan + cheapest text plan + cheapest data plan, not counting 300MB).

2. A $68 phone, with no contract (cancel anytime) and a $30 monthly fee with unlimited text and data?

kdarling
Jun 17, 2012, 08:28 PM
MetroPCS is not a good choice for backing claims that most Android sales are low-priced phones.

MetroPCS only has about 3 million smartphone users, of whom only about 1 million upgrade smartphones each year.

Compare that to the 100 million smartphone users on the big carriers, who tend to buy more expensive subsidized models under contract.

DodgeV83
Jun 17, 2012, 08:46 PM
MetroPCS is not a good choice for backing claims that most Android sales are low-priced phones.

MetroPCS only has about 3 million smartphone users, of whom only about 1 million upgrade smartphones each year.

Compare that to the 100 million smartphone users on the big carriers, who tend to buy more expensive subsidized models under contract.

If those numbers are true for the US then I agree. I'm not sure how many people are on the other prepaid carriers either. It's possible that the big numbers might not be US prepaid customers, but international. Prepaid users consist of 95% of all mobile phones in India for example.

I don't think there are any hard numbers saying the majority of Android users are prepaid cheap units, but there are no hard numbers saying they aren't.

kdarling
Jun 18, 2012, 12:01 PM
It's possible that the big numbers might not be US prepaid customers, but international. Prepaid users consist of 95% of all mobile phones in India for example.

Yes, economically challenged countries are a much better example. There, over half the smartphones sold recently are often under $150 Androids.

For that matter, in many countries without subsidies, people tend to buy Android phones instead of paying up to five times as much for an iPhone.

I don't think there are any hard numbers saying the majority of Android users are prepaid cheap units, but there are no hard numbers saying they aren't.

I don't think cheap is the majority (yet), because analytics (http://www.localytics.com/blog/2012/android-not-as-fragmented-as-many-think/) of Android apps show that almost 2/3 are being used on 4" or larger screens with 800x480 or greater resolution. Those are not the cheapest models.

The really cheap models with 480x320 or 320x240 screens account for about 20% of apps used, although I suspect the actual percentage is slightly higher.

Of course, "cheap" doesn't necessarily mean "poorly equipped". Even the cheapest can usually take up to 32GB of addon storage, has 3G and GPS, and a 600+MHz CPU. Heck, MetroPCS has a 4G LTE Android phone on sale for $150 without contract.

"Cheaper" can also simply mean "less expensive". A lot of the price difference is also due to Apple insisting on a 40+% profit margin, whereas other smartphone makers are okay with as low as 15% or even less.

cynics
Jun 18, 2012, 12:20 PM
Yes, economically challenged countries are a much better example. There, over half the smartphones sold recently are often under $150 Androids.

For that matter, in many countries without subsidies, people tend to buy Android phones instead of paying up to five times as much for an iPhone.

I don't think cheap is the majority (yet), because analytics (http://www.localytics.com/blog/2012/android-not-as-fragmented-as-many-think/) of Android apps show that almost 2/3 are being used on 4" or larger screens with 800x480 or greater resolution. Those are not the cheapest models.

The really cheap models with 480x320 or 320x240 screens account for about 20% of apps used, although I suspect the actual percentage is slightly higher.

Of course, "cheap" doesn't necessarily mean "poorly equipped". Even the cheapest can usually take up to 32GB of addon storage, has 3G and GPS, and a 600+MHz CPU. Heck, MetroPCS has a 4G LTE Android phone on sale for $150 without contract.

"Cheaper" can also simply mean "less expensive". A lot of the price difference is also due to Apple insisting on a 40+% profit margin, whereas other smartphone makers are okay with as low as 15% or even less.

Is that profit margin accurate? I do sales from time to time in my business and people paying 40% are usually what I'd refer to as "suckers". Simply saying "can you do better then that?" is more then enough to lower the price.

mbell1975
Jun 18, 2012, 12:58 PM

"Cheaper" can also simply mean "less expensive".

Exactly. Friend of mine just recently went to at&t to get an iPhone but ended up getting a "cheap" Android phone instead. He was all excited about an iPhone too but he said that the Android had 4G, a bigger screen and SD storage. That was more important to him. There are Android phones out there for $50 with more features, 4G and larger screens than the iPhone. That's why so many people are picking them up over an iPhone.

BiggAW
Jun 18, 2012, 08:24 PM
mbell1975, this is another illogical post :(

What's cheaper?

1. A free phone, with a two year contract and $90 monthly fee (cheapest phone plan + cheapest text plan + cheapest data plan, not counting 300MB).

2. A $68 phone, with no contract (cancel anytime) and a $30 monthly fee with unlimited text and data?

Thank you. Someone gets it.

chiefpavvy
Jun 18, 2012, 10:37 PM
Exactly. Friend of mine just recently went to at&t to get an iPhone but ended up getting a "cheap" Android phone instead. He was all excited about an iPhone too but he said that the Android had 4G, a bigger screen and SD storage. That was more important to him. There are Android phones out there for $50 with more features, 4G and larger screens than the iPhone. That's why so many people are picking them up over an iPhone.

Name one Android phone available for $50 with contract that even remotely comes close to iPhone 4, let alone the 4S. If you're talking 3GS that's a toss-up depending on the model (and the 3GS is like a penny)...

mbell1975
Jun 18, 2012, 10:59 PM
Name one Android phone available for $50 with contract that even remotely comes close to iPhone 4, let alone the 4S. If you're talking 3GS that's a toss-up depending on the model (and the 3GS is like a penny)...

Does the 4 or even the 4s have a 4 inch screen, 4G or an SD card slot? Didn't think do. Those are a few things he decided he wanted more than he thought. To be honest, it's a joke that a supposed premium phone like the iPhone doesn't include things even the cheap Android phones do.

chiefpavvy
Jun 18, 2012, 11:30 PM
Does the 4 or even the 4s have a 4 inch screen, 4G or an SD card slot? Didn't think do. Those are a few things he decided he wanted more than he thought. To be honest, it's a joke that a supposed premium phone like the iPhone doesn't include things even the cheap Android phones do.

Name this mythical beast please.

mbell1975
Jun 18, 2012, 11:57 PM

He got the Samsung Galaxy Exhilirate

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-exhilarate-black.html

typeadam
Jun 19, 2012, 04:17 AM
why do people keep bringing up how much profit a company makes when comparing things? are YOU getting any of that money? it's never influenced my purchase and even if there was a huge discrepancy between the companies I never felt it in the end product - what I, the consumer, got.. :confused:

mbell1975
Jun 19, 2012, 10:38 AM
why do people keep bringing up how much profit a company makes when comparing things?:

because when a company launches a new product that fails and they are losing money on it, they generally stop supporting it. If that device is a TV or something like that, no big deal. However, whenever it's a product that relies on updates to stay current, you have a problem.

blackhand1001
Jun 19, 2012, 11:26 AM

Galaxy s2 is 9.99 on at&t

----------

why do people keep bringing up how much profit a company makes when comparing things? are YOU getting any of that money? it's never influenced my purchase and even if there was a huge discrepancy between the companies I never felt it in the end product - what I, the consumer, got.. :confused:

Exactly. If the company is making 40% profit that means I am getting ripped off. They only sell well in the united states because the carriers subsidize them. They are getting fed up and I have a feeling they are gonna start kicking back at apple.

oBMTo
Jun 19, 2012, 12:37 PM
does the 4 or even the 4s have a 4 inch screen, 4g or an sd card slot? Didn't think do. Those are a few things he decided he wanted more than he thought. To be honest, it's a joke that a supposed premium phone like the iphone doesn't include things even the cheap android phones do.

s t f u

Geekbabe
Jun 19, 2012, 02:21 PM
It did for me. With Verizon offering double the data for 4G LTE phones, it made little sense for me to go with the 4S over the Maxx. And with my town lit up with LTE, I didn't want to wait another year to use it. If nothing else, I locked in double the data for when/if I come back for an LTE iPhone. :)

I have the Galaxy Nexus on a double data plan, the freaking thing is screaming fast here in Boston.

cynics
Jun 19, 2012, 03:47 PM
Galaxy s2 is 9.99 on at&t

----------

Exactly. If the company is making 40% profit that means I am getting ripped off. They only sell well in the united states because the carriers subsidize them. They are getting fed up and I have a feeling they are gonna start kicking back at apple.

I'm still trying to find out if that profit margin is accurate. That is insane if it's true. I can understand selling a product for as much as you can but there something to be said about a company that doesn't blatantly rip you off.

einmusiker
Jun 19, 2012, 04:24 PM

Thunderbolt

typeadam
Jun 20, 2012, 12:10 PM
because when a company launches a new product that fails and they are losing money on it, they generally stop supporting it. If that device is a TV or something like that, no big deal. However, whenever it's a product that relies on updates to stay current, you have a problem.

Agreed. However a large portion of people's arguments why they should buy iPhones is b/c Apple sells more of them and is profitable. I, as a consumer, don't care how profitable Apple is at the moment. They made a product I liked so I bought it.
I know it's important to buy from a company that won't fold the moment you buy something and you'll be stuck w/ it, but it shouldn't hold such a high priority when people say 'this is why you need an iPhone.'

mackinmike
Jun 20, 2012, 12:26 PM
not surprising. iphone4 is old and outdated. newer phones are more advanced and there's really no technological difference btw IOS and android anymore (there was a hugh gap 3 year ago). people buying an iphone4 right now are either misinformed or want to be in the apple ecosystem.

Bobby Corwen
Jun 20, 2012, 01:36 PM
not surprising. iphone4 is old and outdated. newer phones are more advanced and there's really no technological difference btw IOS and android anymore (there was a hugh gap 3 year ago). people buying an iphone4 right now are either misinformed or want to be in the apple ecosystem.

GUI, touch response, inertial scrolling, and hardware hasn't caught up yet.

Other extra features of Android, consumers don't really use or need.

kdarling
Jun 20, 2012, 01:42 PM
I'm still trying to find out if that profit margin is accurate. That is insane if it's true. I can understand selling a product for as much as you can but there something to be said about a company that doesn't blatantly rip you off.

If you take the time to Google "iphone profit margin", you'll see estimates from 60-75% gross margin, and 30-55% net.

One attempt at a detailed breakdown can be seen in this graph (http://www.asymco.com/2012/02/26/iphone-sine-qua-non/). It claims 58% gross and 51% operating margins.

The more conservative (and thus, possibly low) operating margin of 40% I spoke of is from my own calculations, taking into account the fact that Apple's reported iPhone revenues include high-profit accessories (a little noticed, but important, detail).

--

As a side note, Foxconn operating margin has dropped over the years since Apple has worked with them, to about 1.5%. Yes, one point five percent. Of course, over tens of millions of units, even that small amount adds up.

mackinmike
Jun 20, 2012, 02:06 PM

last time i checked, inertial scrolling is there. not sure what u mean about gui. the gui for ios hasnt' changed for years. not sure if you've tried out the latest android devices but they are pretty equal to me.

Vegastouch
Jun 20, 2012, 06:48 PM

Agree, Apple is playing catch up. As for consumers dont need or use Androids features......:rolleyes:

Another koolaid post by Bobby.

DakotaGuy
Jun 21, 2012, 10:41 PM
last time i checked, inertial scrolling is there. not sure what u mean about gui. the gui for ios hasnt' changed for years. not sure if you've tried out the latest android devices but they are pretty equal to me.

Things are just about to get a lot better for the RAZR and RAZR MAXX.

I'm a lot more excited about this software coming to my phone then I am with iOS6 coming to my iPad. iOS is solid, but the look is getting old after all these years.

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/Android-4.0-Ice-Cream-Sandwich/119251,en_US,pd.html

DodgeV83
Jun 21, 2012, 11:37 PM
iOS is solid, but the look is getting old after all these years.

Compare Windows 95 to Windows 7.

Compare OSX Cheetah (2001) to OSX Lion (2011).

They are pretty much the same. There's a reason why OS UIs don't change too much.

Bobby Corwen
Jun 22, 2012, 03:56 AM
Compare Windows 95 to Windows 7.

Compare OSX Cheetah (2001) to OSX Lion (2011).

They are pretty much the same. There's a reason why OS UIs don't change too much.

No I want them to change because my entertainment doesn't come from the content I browse using my phone, it comes from the home screen.

Why use apps and media browsers when I could fiddle around with an exciting and new home screen. I'm tired of the simplicity, I need something more elaborate and gimmicky.

Now that everything is organized on my phone there is nothing to customiz so I need an OS that will shake things up and I can organize all my stuff in a different way now.

Maybe that new Chevy Lumina phone...

DakotaGuy
Jun 22, 2012, 10:24 AM
No I want them to change because my entertainment doesn't come from the content I browse using my phone, it comes from the home screen.

Why use apps and media browsers when I could fiddle around with an exciting and new home screen. I'm tired of the simplicity, I need something more elaborate and gimmicky.

Now that everything is organized on my phone there is nothing to customiz so I need an OS that will shake things up and I can organize all my stuff in a different way now.

Maybe that new Chevy Lumina phone...

Sounds like you are getting tired of iOS. It's understandable since seeing the same thing day after day and year after year does get old. iOS is good, but it's dated. It's fine on my iPad, but it could be so much more on a tablet like the iPad especially with the extra screen real estate.

There is a difference between change for change sake and change that improves the software. I honestly believe that the overhaul that is Android 4.0 really does improve the software over 2.3. It's a lot more then just a different look. One of the big things that has been bragged about in iOS6 is the reflection of the slider changing as the device is moved. How exactly does that improve the software? Apple is just as guilty as the rest when it comes to adding eye candy.

At some point iOS will receive an overhaul. Will you feel the same about it as you do the Android overhaul? I doubt it. You will claim it's great and it's magical because it comes from Apple.

Bobby Corwen
Jun 22, 2012, 11:46 AM
Sounds like you are getting tired of iOS. It's understandable since seeing the same thing day after day and year after year does get old. iOS is good, but it's dated. It's fine on my iPad, but it could be so much more on a tablet like the iPad especially with the extra screen real estate.

There is a difference between change for change sake and change that improves the software. I honestly believe that the overhaul that is Android 4.0 really does improve the software over 2.3. It's a lot more then just a different look. One of the big things that has been bragged about in iOS6 is the reflection of the slider changing as the device is moved. How exactly does that improve the software? Apple is just as guilty as the rest when it comes to adding eye candy.

At some point iOS will receive an overhaul. Will you feel the same about it as you do the Android overhaul? I doubt it. You will claim it's great and it's magical because it comes from Apple.

Maybe one day you will grasp the concept that simplicity is the height of professionalism and good design.

Google the term "minimalism" and start there.

DakotaGuy
Jun 22, 2012, 01:19 PM
Maybe one day you will grasp the concept that simplicity is the height of professionalism and good design.

Google the term "minimalism" and start there.

Just curious what college degree you hold? Are you a software engineer or some sort of a designer? I find pros and cons to both iOS and Android. I don't find either to be difficult to use or have poor UI. Android is more flexible and has more ability to customize, but it's user friendly. If you can't use an Android phone, chances are you can't use a Mac or a Windows PC.

Minimalism is fine until it begins to take features away that do improve your experience.

Bobby Corwen
Jun 22, 2012, 01:34 PM
Just curious what college degree you hold? Are you a software engineer or some sort of a designer? I find pros and cons to both iOS and Android. I don't find either to be difficult to use or have poor UI. Android is more flexible and has more ability to customize, but it's user friendly. If you can't use an Android phone, chances are you can't use a Mac or a Windows PC.

Minimalism is fine until it begins to take features away that do improve your experience.

Business degree Arizona State University.

Own my own retail business.

You said you don't find either difficult, but I can assure you there is a perceptible difference between the two OS.

But my point is this:

Safari - and the whole totality and magnitude that the world wide web implies.
Instagram
Twitter
Facebook
MyFitnessPal
All of YouTube
Vevo
Pandora
Netflix
Zynga Poker
Voxer
Music Player
Podcasts
Etc..
Etc..

HOW DO YOU EVEN HAVE TIME TO WORRY ABOUT THE HOME SCREEN AKA LAUNCHPAD??

I am usually too busy checking all my usual go-to places and consuming content to worry about the LAUNCHPAD of that content.

Do you have lots of friends? Do you keep in contact with people? Do you visit usual sites? Do you use apps? Play games?

There's a million things to do, and you're worried about the home screen talking about youre bored with your phone?

Download some quality apps because on iPhone there actually are a lot of them and there's unlimited things to keep you busy and from boredom.

Take up some new hobbies or interests sheesh.

nefan65
Jun 22, 2012, 01:44 PM
I have the Galaxy Nexus on a double data plan, the freaking thing is screaming fast here in Boston.

I don't know? Hard to believe you're from Boston. You're post should have read...

"It's freackin WICKED fast heeeya in Beantown....

AR999
Jun 22, 2012, 02:00 PM

"average consumers" are average anymore. They ask us "techies" for advice. My advice to a co-worker who has Verizon means a lot more than the Verizon employee.

I am like Fox News with my Co-workers. I am "fair and balance" I tell my co-workers if they want a phone right now, I would get the Razr Maxx.

But if they insist on getting an iPhone like one of my co-workers who has a Droid Incredible 2. I tell her to wait for a few months (september/october) for LTE iphone and to avoid CDMA iPhone at this time.

Please tell me you are being sarcastic with saying fox news is a fair and balanced.

nefan65
Jun 22, 2012, 02:04 PM
Please tell me you are being sarcastic with saying fox news is a fair and balanced.

If he's a conservative Republican, he doesn't feel he's being sarcastic at all.

Kind of like Sean Hannity; He's right, Republican's are great, and if you disagree you're a non-American, flag burning, ultra-Liberal.

bad03xtreme
Jun 22, 2012, 03:12 PM
Yea becasue we know how fair the other networks are... :rolleyes:

DakotaGuy
Jun 22, 2012, 03:24 PM
Business degree Arizona State University.

Own my own retail business.

You said you don't find either difficult, but I can assure you there is a perceptible difference between the two OS.

But my point is this:

Safari - and the whole totality and magnitude that the world wide web implies.
Instagram
Twitter
Facebook
MyFitnessPal
All of YouTube
Vevo
Pandora
Netflix
Zynga Poker
Voxer
Music Player
Podcasts
Etc..
Etc..

HOW DO YOU EVEN HAVE TIME TO WORRY ABOUT THE HOME SCREEN AKA LAUNCHPAD??

I am usually too busy checking all my usual go-to places and consuming content to worry about the LAUNCHPAD of that content.

Do you have lots of friends? Do you keep in contact with people? Do you visit usual sites? Do you use apps? Play games?

There's a million things to do, and you're worried about the home screen talking about youre bored with your phone?

Download some quality apps because on iPhone there actually are a lot of them and there's unlimited things to keep you busy and from boredom.

Take up some new hobbies or interests sheesh.

Own your own retail business? Are you as rude to your customers as you are to people with opposing views on here? Just curious. Also do you check your customers phones and only do business with people who carry iPhones? I understand you are in love with the iPhone and think it is 110% perfect, but you always seem to resort to some personal jabs in every reply to try and get a point across. Sheesh.

Bobby Corwen
Jun 22, 2012, 03:38 PM
Own your own retail business? Are you as rude to your customers as you are to people with opposing views on here? Just curious. Also do you check your customers phones and only do business with people who carry iPhones? I understand you are in love with the iPhone and think it is 110% perfect, but you always seem to resort to some personal jabs in every reply to try and get a point across. Sheesh.

I'm sure you'll be fine... Its nothing personal.

Sometimes a debate is the best way to extrapolate information and get to the bottom of things.

chiefpavvy
Jun 22, 2012, 05:12 PM
Yea becasue we know how fair the other networks are... :rolleyes:

Are you suggesting a prominent national network would be caught red-handed...twice...doctoring video recordings? Nah. Nothing to see, move along.