PDA

View Full Version : iBook sleeve, need help

mjstew33
Jul 19, 2005, 05:22 PM
I was looking at this (http://www.bitolithic.com/bags/index.htm) and since, my parents are divorced, I want to bring my laptop back and forth (I have my mom - monday, wednesday, friday; dad - tuesday, thursday), so the only way to do this is to bring it to school (private school) and keep it in my locker (with lock on it) until I go home. Do you think that sleeve will be ok? Because I want something that IS REALLY GOING TO PROTECT IT. Like something that has a hard, case, not metal, but HARD so it won't break when i have a lot of books coming home.

I like that one because it comes with the screen protector from the keys and it has a little accesory bag.

Will that one be good? Is it hard enough?

P.S. I'm on a tight budget and that would work out great!

finalcoolman
Jul 19, 2005, 06:29 PM
Umm, the best case ever is probably made by this Japanese company called Arvel. Now there website is Japanese only, but I brought my case of of some guy on Ebay. Now I believe the correct model number/size for a 12" iBook like mine is the NSB5. Now they make them in 3 different colours, BK for grey, BL for blue and GY for white. You definantly wont want the Blue for an iBook. Get either a grey or white one. I brought a grey one because I wasn't sure if I was going to get an iBook or Powerbook, since grey will work for both, plus it doesn't get dirty. If I was sure on getting an iBook, you might want to get the white one since it will match it perfectly if you don't mid it getting dirty.It is very protective, the outside is hard plastic. The inside is that memory foam stuff so your laptop stays firmly inside without sliding around when you are carrying it. The beauty of this case is it feels like a binder, and fits perfectly in your backpack like it was a binder. Very compact around the laptop, adds very minimal size for the protection. It's just like carrying a book around with you and once the case is ziped up, you feel perfectly safe of the book inside. Also, unlike other cases, you can use the laptop while still in the case. That way you dont have to put your laptop on possibly greasy cafeteria tables at school and the bottom of your laptop will not get scratched up. So ya, for a 12" iBook get the NSB5BK if you want grey or the NSB5GY if you want white.

This is their website, you'll have to scroll down to get the right model numbers:

http://www.arvel.co.jp/htmls/cover/bag.html

Edit: I dug through my records to about a year ago and the guy I brought it from his eBay user ID is tenikiti from Japan with very good feedback. Search for him on eBay. His current items for sale don't include these hard models, just some softer more uglier ones and he did not have it for sale either when I brought mines. If you want one of these cases send him a message, and he'll go and buy you one I guess and list it on eBay for you to buy. This is the only way to get these cases aside from going to Japan because they are not sold anywhere on the net that ships outside Japan as far as I'm concerned, and unlike those Bitolithic pouches, will actually protect your laptop in a drop. Plus their hard cover design makes them very fast and east to unzip since the softer cases you sort of have to hold the material while you're pulling the zipper.

P.S. Now that I know I'm buying a new iBook and not a Powerbook, I wish I got the white case since that was obviosly specificlly made to match the iBook. That white case will look HOT with an iBook, I might end up purchasing a white one from the guy and giving the grey one to my friend so he can use it for his 13.3" Sony VAIO S-Series laptop. And by the way, the NSB5 size fits standard 12.1" and widescreen 13.3" laptops. So you can buy this now even if you're worried if Apple changes the form factor to widescreen 13.3" like the rumors say. It will fit.

katie ta achoo
Jul 19, 2005, 07:36 PM
I looked on the website, and I thought they looked pretty good.

But I was also at a mac swapmeet, and someone had made sleeves out of fleece! I'm going to sew one like that once my mom is done sewing whatever she's sewing.

Be sure that your lock is ACTUALLY locked when you put your computer in. Whenever I've had to leave my baby Mac in my locker, I made sure the lock was secured at least 10 times before I actually left.

You know, the one time you don't do it, it's *poof* gone. :(

You could always get an aluminum briefcase. those look so cool. And when someone looks at you cross-eyed, YOU CAN SMACK THEM WITH IT!
Hehe.

Bern
Jul 19, 2005, 08:28 PM
I recommend the STM Rebound (http://www.standardtm.com.au/rebound) It will protect your iBook very well.

akm
Jul 19, 2005, 09:26 PM
Hey lilstewart92;

I am also looking for an iBook sleeve and to quote my own short-list from here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=79073&page=6&pp=25) , the 4 I liked and you may consider are (I'd welcome comments from others on these as well, BTW, Thx):

1. Vyper XM by Booq - http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=362

2. SportFolio Sleeve by Marware - http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Marware.woa/1/wa/selectedCategory?catalogCatID=122&wosid=uqW85xDsuLgJbUHVEtTAEw

3. NeoCase by RadTech - http://www.radtech.us/Products/NeoCase.aspx

(The bitolithic was my also on my list, but you have already mentioned that). I got a reply suggesting the Vyper XM:

I just got theVyper XM by Booq for the 14" iBook. I would recommend it highly. Fits perfectly and seems like it will keep the iBook safe in any backpack or book bag.
I don't think its bulky at all, fits the iBook like a glove. Craftsmenship seems very good, solid zippers that mesh well and shouldn't sratch the case at all. It doesn't have a top handle which would have been a nice addition.

I myself have not made a decision, but hope the above helps you. If you do get the bitolithic, let us know, as I for one 'am still considering it (I like it as it comes with a screen protector and a separate small case for mouse/power adapter for about the same price as the SportFolio and the NeoCase and I am on a budget; that said, it does not seem to have a hard case and you mentioned that was something you were looking for. AFAICT, only the Vyper XM from my list has a hardish case, but I am not positive as I have not seen any of these in person).

joebells
Jul 15, 2006, 10:38 AM
I know this is an old thread and all but that case by arvel looks perfect. Does anyone know of any way to get one in the usa?

Umm, the best case ever is probably made by this Japanese company called Arvel. Now there website is Japanese only, but I brought my case of of some guy on Ebay. Now I believe the correct model number/size for a 12" iBook like mine is the NSB5. Now they make them in 3 different colours, BK for grey, BL for blue and GY for white. You definantly wont want the Blue for an iBook. Get either a grey or white one. I brought a grey one because I wasn't sure if I was going to get an iBook or Powerbook, since grey will work for both, plus it doesn't get dirty. If I was sure on getting an iBook, you might want to get the white one since it will match it perfectly if you don't mid it getting dirty.It is very protective, the outside is hard plastic. The inside is that memory foam stuff so your laptop stays firmly inside without sliding around when you are carrying it. The beauty of this case is it feels like a binder, and fits perfectly in your backpack like it was a binder. Very compact around the laptop, adds very minimal size for the protection. It's just like carrying a book around with you and once the case is ziped up, you feel perfectly safe of the book inside. Also, unlike other cases, you can use the laptop while still in the case. That way you dont have to put your laptop on possibly greasy cafeteria tables at school and the bottom of your laptop will not get scratched up. So ya, for a 12" iBook get the NSB5BK if you want grey or the NSB5GY if you want white.

This is their website, you'll have to scroll down to get the right model numbers:

http://www.arvel.co.jp/htmls/cover/bag.html

Edit: I dug through my records to about a year ago and the guy I brought it from his eBay user ID is tenikiti from Japan with very good feedback. Search for him on eBay. His current items for sale don't include these hard models, just some softer more uglier ones and he did not have it for sale either when I brought mines. If you want one of these cases send him a message, and he'll go and buy you one I guess and list it on eBay for you to buy. This is the only way to get these cases aside from going to Japan because they are not sold anywhere on the net that ships outside Japan as far as I'm concerned, and unlike those Bitolithic pouches, will actually protect your laptop in a drop. Plus their hard cover design makes them very fast and east to unzip since the softer cases you sort of have to hold the material while you're pulling the zipper.

P.S. Now that I know I'm buying a new iBook and not a Powerbook, I wish I got the white case since that was obviosly specificlly made to match the iBook. That white case will look HOT with an iBook, I might end up purchasing a white one from the guy and giving the grey one to my friend so he can use it for his 13.3" Sony VAIO S-Series laptop. And by the way, the NSB5 size fits standard 12.1" and widescreen 13.3" laptops. So you can buy this now even if you're worried if Apple changes the form factor to widescreen 13.3" like the rumors say. It will fit.

Lucky8
Jul 16, 2006, 12:06 PM
I recommend Waterfield. check out www.sfbags.com