PDA

View Full Version : First Online Retina MacBook Pro Orders Arriving

MacRumors
Jun 14, 2012, 10:52 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/14/first-online-retina-macbook-pro-orders-arriving/)

While we noted early yesterday (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/13/retina-macbook-pro-shipping-estimates-slip-to-3-4-weeks-as-initial-shipments-begin/) that the first Retina MacBook Pro orders had begun shipping, a number of MacRumors readers are now reporting that the first deliveries are already arriving.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/retina_macbook_pro_arrived-500x469.jpg

At least one of the readers who received his new MacBook Pro had ordered a custom configuration, bumping the high-end stock model to the 2.7 GHz processor and 16 GB of RAM.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/retina_macbook_pro_label.jpg

Portion of label from delivered Retina MacBook Pro showing custom configuration

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/retina_macbook_pro_booting-500x510.jpg

Newly-delivered Retina MacBook Pro on initial boot
A few customers have reported being able to obtain the new Retina MacBook Pro in-store, but many Apple retail stores still do not have any stock of the machines beyond the display models, with some now indicating that they will not have stock until Monday.

(Thanks, Trevor and Jeremy!)

Article Link: First Online Retina MacBook Pro Orders Arriving (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/14/first-online-retina-macbook-pro-orders-arriving/)

niuniu
Jun 14, 2012, 10:53 AM
Lets see some videos you lucky early adopters! Photoshop, games etc :D

sartis
Jun 14, 2012, 10:54 AM
I have been checking my local stores and they do not have them....:mad:

mrboult
Well colour me Jealous. I'd love a computer with a screen that good. Is there a matte option?

Skika
Great! Have fun you lucky first adopters :D!

WestonHarvey1
Does the screen really have those pinkish and greenish hues I'm seeing in that photo?

usptact
Jun 14, 2012, 10:55 AM
Glad for them! Let the machine work well & long (c)

GorgonPhone
Jun 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
yup you will definitely need to boost your ram to at least 8 gig when you order..

L-U-R-C-H
Jun 14, 2012, 10:57 AM
Does the screen really have those pinkish and greenish hues I'm seeing in that photo?

I hope you're being sarcastic.

Illusion986
Jun 14, 2012, 10:57 AM
That sounds exciting but then its same OS so should get old in 30 min or so...of course unless its replacing a PC or a really old Mac.

Rmafive
Jun 14, 2012, 10:58 AM
All of the retina apps better be out by next Friday when I should get mine! :p

ethana
Ordered my 2.7 with 8gb ram and 512 SSD, just shipped last night to Seattle, won't get here till Monday. I ordered within 5 minutes of the Apple Store going live! WTH.

AustinIllini
The lack of "Macbook Pro" under the screen still seems odd to me. I understand why they did it, but I guess I'm just not used to it.

Diode
Jun 14, 2012, 10:59 AM
yup you will definitely need to boost your ram to at least 8 gig when you order..

Standard is 8GB - the option on both is for 16GB.

If I were ordering I would do the max ram as you can't upgrade it in the future.

sk1wbw
You people with money suck. :p

jamesybsu
Can't wait until the "My screen has yellow tint" threads start.

thatsfinebut
Jun 14, 2012, 11:00 AM

The Retina MacBook Pro already comes with 8GB of memory. Also, how is a comment on memory relevant to this thread?

WestonHarvey1
Jun 14, 2012, 11:00 AM

Do you honestly not see what I'm talking about?

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 14, 2012, 11:01 AM
how long does it take to boot?

uaecasher
Jun 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
why is apple doing this :S, I mean they create great product and then it's very short on supply...still waiting for my rMBP

pyzon
Jun 14, 2012, 11:03 AM
I'll be waiting until next year when they bring out a proper PRO MB so I can upgrade from my 2008 MBP, and not this eye-candy to keep the masses with deep pockets happy.

Mirror Mirror on the wall why has the new MBP not got the latest and greatest Processor of them all..

"...Well Pyzon you see, Apple have a glut of processors and 'must have' purchasers so we will bundle the 'not so new' MBP with the old crap and bring out a new soooped up MBP for the rest next year.."

Thank you Mirror! don't fail me or I'll crack you! :D

qpixo
Jun 14, 2012, 11:03 AM
Using Photoshop in 15" it's too small and MBP is overpriced. Better waiting for a n new iMac...

notromeel
Jun 14, 2012, 11:04 AM

I think that's the vignette textured loading screen?

Drunken Master
Jun 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
I have been checking my local stores and they do not have them....:mad:

Mine does, I checked them out yesterday.

I'd say early adopters will have a couple "disappointments" until everything is updated to retina graphics. I opened updated apps like Aperture, iPhoto and iMovie, they looked great on the RMBP. But then I opened Pages and Keynote, which haven't been updated yet, and everything looks blurry. But that'll change eventually.

Surfing the web...honestly felt about the same. Sure, font was really crisp when I zoomed way, way in but nobody reads articles zoomed way in. Watched some 1080p video (the retina MBP ad, natch) and it worked flawlessly, but almost seemed fuzzy as well. They need something higher res than 1080p to take full advantage of this thing.

It seems to me honestly that the larger the screen, the less the "retina" is noticeable. Put an iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 4 side-by-side and you can tell the difference in the screens from 20 feet away. An iPad 2 and new iPad, it's noticeable but you have to get look more closely. The retina MBP, aside from the dock, it just wasn't as noticeable, unless you're doing big zoom-ins on high res photos or fonts.

Edit: Truth hurts, huh? Sorry to **** on your parade guys, but this is coming from someone who does graphic design, photo and video editing for a living and I don't wear glasses either.

edonohoo
Jun 14, 2012, 11:05 AM

Are you serious? Does that mean that the aluminum on his macbook has a reddish tint as well? Seriously it is just the lighting in the room and the camera used to take the picture. No pink tint

markieg
Jun 14, 2012, 11:06 AM
retina battery issues posts incoming...
wait till next year they will be on all macbooks and ironed out all issues, it's the same for all apple products, ipad1 was a fail and now unsupported so get the ipad2, iphone 4 had battery and signal issues so get the iphone 4s. i will be getting a retina 13inch macbook pro or air next year for £1000

mixel
Jun 14, 2012, 11:07 AM

I do.. it might be one of those things where it takes a better thn average display to see the colour casts in the photo? It's quite pronounced here though!

biscuitdunker
Jun 14, 2012, 11:08 AM
i see dead pixels!!!;)

bb426
Jun 14, 2012, 11:08 AM
Rich fools... If only tuition was half price.

Meh. Retina will be probably be standard, and cheaper, in the next year or so. So will 16 GB RAM and higher capacity SSD's.

TTyylleerr
Jun 14, 2012, 11:09 AM
Jealous of people getting their new computers already. I was on the fence and waited, by the time I ordered it was 3-4 weeks shipping.

Piggie
Jun 14, 2012, 11:10 AM
Can't wait until the "My screen has yellow tint" threads start.

Exactly.

It's almost guaranteed we're going to start seeing postings such as these on these forums before long:

Yellow tinting on the grey test screen
Pink screens
Can I take it back as I can see a dead pixel
Uneven back-lighting
Bright back-lighting spots in certain areas
I'm now on my 4th Macbook pro and have given up trying to get a good one.

I hope, with all my heart we NEVER get any postings like this, but since yellow screen issues are almost an Apple trademark, I'm afraid we will.

Please prove me wrong. I'd loved to be proven wrong.

Trimmer2
I got mine this am at 9:30 with 16 memory and 2.7 processor. I really wanted the bigger storage drive but, definitely couldn't wait 5-7 weeks for it. I'm hoping to swap out drives when the bigger one becomes available.

The screen is noticeably nicer. I also really like how fast the SSD is too!

I bought and was still running a late '08 unibody (originally unibody). I was an early purchaser then too and was waiting for the last 2 years to upgrade. I'm glad I waited!!

WestonHarvey1
Are you serious? Does that mean that the aluminum on his macbook has a reddish tint as well? Seriously it is just the lighting in the room and the camera used to take the picture. No pink tint

Maybe, I'll have to see it in person. I'm just a little concerned that it looks pretty much like my new iPad did.

Drunken Master
Jun 14, 2012, 11:11 AM

Meh. Retina will be probably be standard, and cheaper, in the next year or so. So will 16 GB RAM and higher capacity SSD's.

Exactly.

More power to the early adopters with this thing, but I'd say anyone that's on the fence could easily wait until all the Mac laptops (and maybe even the iMac) have retina displays.

nfl46
Anyone have $2,199 I can have? Not borrow. Lol.

I want to be rich. :eek:

WestonHarvey1
I do.. it might be one of those things where it takes a better thn average display to see the colour casts in the photo? It's quite pronounced here though!

I'm viewing it on an old-school Apple Cinema Display, but I can see it on my 2010 MBP display too.

T5BRICK
Mirror Mirror on the wall why has the new MBP not got the latest and greatest Processor of them all..

What processor are you waiting for? It's got a 2.7ghz ivy bridge processor avaiable. That's one step down from the fastest mobile CPU intel offers....

SvK
Jun 14, 2012, 11:12 AM
are the keys still backlit?

HowEver
Jun 14, 2012, 11:13 AM
Was your computer free?

6.9 billion people around the world can't afford your computer.

justjohn025
Jun 14, 2012, 11:13 AM
The lack of "Macbook Pro" under the screen still seems odd to me. I understand why they did it, but I guess I'm just not used to it.

Why did they do it?

eagandale4114
Jun 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
are the keys still backlit?

Yes.

GorgonPhone
Jun 14, 2012, 11:15 AM
Standard is 8GB - the option on both is for 16GB.

If I were ordering I would do the max ram as you can't upgrade it in the future.

oh okay well then go with the 16 cause apple always ***** machines with minimum usable ram which suuuux..

----------

The Retina MacBook Pro already comes with 8GB of memory. Also, how is a comment on memory relevant to this thread?

cause it is mentioned that the dude who tok the pic bumped his ram up to 16 which think is a mandatory move for anyone ordering this machine since you cant self install ram..:cool:

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 14, 2012, 11:16 AM
I'm surprised no one is snickering about the user only having 512 GB rather than 768 GB for the SSD...

Edit: Oh, that option doesn't ship until late July / early August, I guess...

Radio
Jun 14, 2012, 11:16 AM
Must be nice :)

Congrats

GorgonPhone
Jun 14, 2012, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinIllini
Why did they do it? - Why did they do it?

I just noticed that..... and it does look empty down there. they should have put "Mac Book Retina"

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 14, 2012, 11:20 AM
First Online Retina MacBook Pro Orders Arriving
Sensational! Can you see that retina boot screen? Great!

djrod

I'm seeing them too, I made it more clear for those who does not see them.

http://s14.postimage.org/tltw2qv1t/exa.jpg

BTW, for me this is not a problem

JHankwitz

I think you've got things switched around. People don't have money because they suck.

nfl46
Was your computer free?

6.9 billion people around the world can't afford your computer.

No, it wasn't free. But my computer wasn't an extra $1,100 though.

Just consider your income on a global scale...boom! You're rich...

niuniu
Jun 14, 2012, 11:22 AM
I'm surprised no one is snickering about the user only having 512 MB rather than 768 MB for the SSD...

Edit: Oh, that option doesn't ship until late July / early August, I guess...

What

shortcrust
oh okay well then go with the 16 cause apple always ***** machines with minimum usable ram which suuuux..

----------

cause it is mentioned that the dude who tok the pic bumped his ram up to 16 which think is a mandatory move for anyone ordering this machine since you cant self install ram..:cool:

I thought you were advising people to bump to 8. Now you're told that 8 is standard you advise a jump to 16?! I guess if 16 was standard you'd be plumping for 32....:rolleyes:

Mr. Retrofire
Great! Have fun you lucky first adopters :D!
Yeah, very lucky beta (Rev. A) testers.

sulpfiction
Jun 14, 2012, 11:24 AM

Are you joking?? You're looking at a photo:confused:

ibanez81
Jun 14, 2012, 11:25 AM
From my experience, "yellow tinting" on any Apple display almost always comes as a result of the owner smoking around it (which isn't covered but if you complain enough like a child...).

Exactly.

It's almost guaranteed we're going to start seeing postings such as these on these forums before long:

Yellow tinting on the grey test screen
Pink screens
Can I take it back as I can see a dead pixel
Uneven back-lighting
Bright back-lighting spots in certain areas
I'm now on my 4th Macbook pro and have given up trying to get a good one.

I hope, with all my heart we NEVER get any postings like this, but since yellow screen issues are almost an Apple trademark, I'm afraid we will.

Please prove me wrong. I'd loved to be proven wrong.

MEgaMacMan
I orderd mine yesterday with the 2.6Ghz processor and the only upgrade was the ram. To me it was the only worth while upgrade, not knocking the people with top specs but I think the bump up from the 2.6 to 2.7 to be not worth the money. In real world applications it will hardly be noticeable in terms of performance. As for the SSD, frankly i'm amazed to be getting 512GB of SSD, I mean I was thankful with my PC for having just a 256GB SSD. To me 512GB is amazing, plus i'll have external storage for videos and things. I just think the upgrade to 768 is too much extra. ok it will most likely be faster and you have more space but for that price I think i'll stick to the 512GB, to me it's the sweet spot.

3 weeks to go:(

Mr. Retrofire
i see dead pixels!!!;)
Are you one of them?

mac.cali
I wonder who the screen manufacture is on this? I know on the MBA is LG and Samsung.

AustinIllini
Jun 14, 2012, 11:26 AM
Why did they do it?

I guess my original thought doesn't make sense now. Good point. My thought was that the line was not meant to be a "Macbook Pro" and that they might change the name eventually. But that's not really confirmed. My second guess was the hinging apparatus combined with a large screen. I take it back.

Marzzz
Jun 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
Yeah, very lucky beta (Rev. A) testers.I have a Rev A late 2008 Unibody MacBook Pro, it has been wonderful from day one all the way to today. I have a new Retina 'Book on order, I'm definitely due.....

WestonHarvey1
Jun 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
From my experience, "yellow tinting" on any Apple display almost always comes as a result of the owner smoking around it (which isn't covered but if you complain enough like a child...).

Ha, no. Just unboxed a new iMac last weekend. Half the screen has a yellow tint. Nobody in the house smokes.

mixel
Jun 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
Those sort of colour inconsistencies show up in photos, particularly low light ones. i have similar on one of my old iMacs, and i wouldn't expect it on laptop which's number one selling point is the display. Eek. Hopefully its not as pronounced in reality.

L-U-R-C-H
Jun 14, 2012, 11:30 AM

It's a stinking photo of a display. Of course it's going to look bad. Ugh... :confused:

nfl46
Jun 14, 2012, 11:30 AM
Just consider your income on a global scale...boom! You're rich...

Me mentioning "rich" was sarcasm. Not sure why they flew over a lot of people's head when all I own are Mac products.

I can afford it.

WestonHarvey1
Jun 14, 2012, 11:32 AM
It's a stinking photo of a display. Of course it's going to look bad. Ugh... :confused:

Yes, I understand it's not definitive. I hope it doesn't look like that in person. I'm just concerned because my new iPad looked pretty much exactly like that in person, and it photographed well enough to show what I was seeing.

nikguitar
Jun 14, 2012, 11:33 AM

Bloody hell :eek:! I can clearly see them, I will send my RMBP straight back if comes with that stuff on the screen!

Cheers

Digital Skunk
Jun 14, 2012, 11:34 AM
Those sort of colour inconsistencies show up in photos, particularly low light ones.

It will only look bad if it's a bad photo. It's very possible to get an accurate image if the exposure and white balance are correct. I am sure the photographer was just taking the photo in haste though.

As for those that are suggesting the buyers have GOBS of cash, you have to consider that they may be buying them for work. My university was supposed to order 3x 17" MBPs for our mobile journalism program and mobile TV studio. They dragged their feet and now we are going to be getting the RMBP instead.

ristlin
Jun 14, 2012, 11:37 AM
why is apple doing this :S, I mean they create great product and then it's very short on supply...still waiting for my rMBP

They are renowned for controlling their production to match demand. If they overproduce, they could end up like the many companies that have made a fail product.

Apple understands an important lesson in business: it is impossible to predict the market.

eagandale4114
Jun 14, 2012, 11:37 AM
I guess my original thought doesn't make sense now. Good point. My thought was that the line was not meant to be a "Macbook Pro" and that they might change the name eventually. But that's not really confirmed. My second guess was the hinging apparatus combined with a large screen. I take it back.

It we the hinge and the new screen enclosure that lead to a shortage of space for the name.

satchow
Jun 14, 2012, 11:38 AM
n/m

lifeinhd
Jun 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
Grrr, still waiting for in-store pickup to be available. Guessing that won't be until all online orders are filled, so at least a month at this point. Awell.

On another note, something I've never seen before is now scalpers are reselling rMBPs. They used to only scalp iDevices. Just another sign of how much popularity the Mac is gaining.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
So what was total elapsed time from when FedEx p/u to when they delivered? Is this one of those that was noted in yesterday's shipping thread?

mrsmcelrath
Jun 14, 2012, 11:42 AM
Yup. I ordered that exact same configuration and mine arrived yesterday as well. It is incredible :)

brdeveloper
Jun 14, 2012, 11:43 AM

I'm seeing disparities in bright in the thread's picture, but no abnormal hues as you said.

nilk
Jun 14, 2012, 11:45 AM
I'm kinda curious as to how Windows under bootcamp runs on these machines and if it can even take advantage of the retina display properly. Also, am curious about Linux running on these machines.

Personally, I run Windows/Linux under VMWare Fusion, but some of my coworkers choose to run Windows or Linux on their Macs. The last round of purchases, we bought 17" MacBook Pros for all developers, because we figured they could run whatever OS they wanted if they don't like OS X. I'm wondering if we can do the same this time.

g8rjohns
Jun 14, 2012, 11:47 AM
Can we get an idea on boot up time? Haven't readily seen anything, but haven't really searched either. Also, based on what Apple has said about 'Component Integration', will anything be upgradable on these? Memory is cheaper outside of the Apple Store.

-LikesMac-
I'm kinda curious as to how Windows under bootcamp runs on these machines and if it can even take advantage of the retina display properly. Also, am curious about Linux running on these machines.

Personally, I run Windows/Linux under VMWare Fusion, but some of my coworkers choose to run Windows or Linux on their Macs. The last round of purchases, we bought 17" MacBook Pros for all developers, because we figured they could run whatever OS they wanted if they don't like OS X. I'm wondering if we can do the same this time.

I'm actually curious about that too. Does Windows run in a retina-display type of style (HiDPI)? Or are all the GUI elements very small?

ryanasimov
It is stunningly predictable the way comments flow with regards to a new Apple product (particularly notebooks):

1. Rumors build about new product and become increasingly overblown and unrealistic
2. Product announced! Product is derided!
3. Product is ordered by many anyway and becomes back-ordered.
4. Waiting for delivery posts, tracking discussions.
5. Got mine! Unboxing!
6. Uh-oh... screen issues.
7. Uh-oh... heat issues.
8. Uh-oh... battery issues.
9. New firmware out!
10. The new firmware doesn't fix my problem!
11. Lively discussion about creative user fixes.
12. More new firmware! Hope this finally fixes my problem!
13. Time passes as users learn to accept or work around issues.
14. Rumors build about new product and become increasingly overblown and unrealistic.

brdeveloper
Jun 14, 2012, 11:48 AM

In Brazil, they suck 2,2 times since the basic RMBP costs USD 4850,00.

G5isAlive
Jun 14, 2012, 11:49 AM

everything but tuition will be cheaper next year. duh. hate the early adopters, pity the late adopters, only the ones that come in between are just right? wait, haven't i heard this fairy tale before?

lifeinhd
Jun 14, 2012, 11:51 AM
Can we get an idea on boot up time? Haven't readily seen anything, but haven't really searched either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F0kEHlY9Zs

Also, based on what Apple has said about 'Component Integration', will anything be upgradable on these?

No. This has been covered by iFixit.

deannnnn
Jun 14, 2012, 11:52 AM
Mine's being delivered on Tuesday! Can't wait!

icarlos
Jun 14, 2012, 11:53 AM
I'll wait for a refurbished one!

ghostlyorb
Jun 14, 2012, 11:54 AM

Have you ever taken a picture of your mac computer screen? Seriously? Try things before posting.

brdeveloper
Jun 14, 2012, 11:54 AM
retina battery issues posts incoming...
wait till next year they will be on all macbooks and ironed out all issues, it's the same for all apple products, ipad1 was a fail and now unsupported so get the ipad2, iphone 4 had battery and signal issues so get the iphone 4s. i will be getting a retina 13inch macbook pro or air next year for £1000

Living outside US and being an early adopter is a nonsense. We pay at least 1,5-2 times the american retail price. I'm planning buying an obsolete retina 13" MBP in mid-2014.

brokeneck
Jun 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
Can we get an idea on boot up time? Haven't readily seen anything, but haven't really searched either. Also, based on what Apple has said about 'Component Integration', will anything be upgradable on these? Memory is cheaper outside of the Apple Store.

17 seconds on the 2.6/512/8GB RAM Retina. That's measured as soon as you hit the button, no cheating or waiting for chime involved...

MACdaddy859
Jun 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
2.7ghz, 16GB 512 Flash?? Mannnn Trevor and Jeremy got moneyyyyyy:apple:

truesummerblue
Jun 14, 2012, 11:56 AM
Using Photoshop in 15" it's too small and MBP is overpriced. Better waiting for a n new iMac...

As much as I like toting an iMac everywhere, a MBpro suits my traveling need. But each his own... :)

TannerH
Jun 14, 2012, 11:57 AM
Let the unboxing videos begin.

gwang73
Jun 14, 2012, 11:58 AM
I got mine this am at 9:30 with 16 memory and 2.7 processor. I really wanted the bigger storage drive but, definitely couldn't wait 5-7 weeks for it. I'm hoping to swap out drives when the bigger one becomes available.

The screen is noticeably nicer. I also really like how fast the SSD is too!

I bought and was still running a late '08 unibody (originally unibody). I was an early purchaser then too and was waiting for the last 2 years to upgrade. I'm glad I waited!!

I'm in the same boat as you and still waiting for mine to ship, which should be next week… can't wait! How's the speed of the new one when compared to the 2008 model? Do you feel you got your money's worth and then some?

kalsta
Jun 14, 2012, 11:59 AM

No display is perfect, and variation in colour and brightness tends to be most obvious on a flat light grey background… say, something like the Apple boot screen! But hey, I thought it was a fair question to ask. The new display is a BIG selling point here, and quite a bit of variation IS visible in that photo. Aren't we even allowed to ask questions on MacRumors now?

It has nothing to do with the lighting in the room. The light is coming from the display. And it's not just a matter of colour balance—the colour and brightness varies across the display.

That's probably why he asked the question, 'Does the screen really have those pinkish and greenish hues I'm seeing in that photo'.

Have you ever taken a picture of your mac computer screen? Seriously? Try things before posting.

You heard it hear first kids… Don't ever ask questions. Especially when there are a lot of people around who know all the answers. ;)

G5isAlive
Jun 14, 2012, 12:00 PM

they do it just to piss customers off.

or. could be they decide on choosing between ramping up production and having a huge inventory on hand (like they did with the iPad 3) and have people say, 'oh not much demand because there is no wait' not to mention have that many more rumors coming out...

or. they could announce a product on their time schedule with some inventory on hand and hope to catch up with demand.

ericrwalker
Jun 14, 2012, 12:01 PM

...and credit :p

daneoni
Jun 14, 2012, 12:05 PM
Must be nice having $2800+tax/£2300 of disposable income lying around.

Serelus
Jun 14, 2012, 12:05 PM
It is stunningly predictable the way comments flow with regards to a new Apple product (particularly notebooks):

1. Rumors build about new product and become increasingly overblown and unrealistic
5. Got mine! Unboxing!
7. Uh-oh... heat issues.
9. New firmware out!
14. Rumors build about new product and become increasingly overblown and unrealistic.

Oh my god this. this, a 1000 times this. Well said.

DudeDad
Jun 14, 2012, 12:07 PM
I heard that if you hold it with your left hand, you can lose a call...wait, sorry, wrong complaint thread....

john7jr
Jun 14, 2012, 12:07 PM
No. This has been covered by iFixit.

Well, technically, the SSD is upgradable, but you'll have to wait for sites like OWC to come top with the parts like they did for the SSD in the MB Air.

QCassidy352
Jun 14, 2012, 12:08 PM
What ssd's are they using? The same faster ones as in the MBA? I have a ssd in my iMac, and it's fast for what I do, but I've definitely seen faster. Hope these got the good ones the airs have now.

Digital Skunk
Jun 14, 2012, 12:09 PM

5. Got mine! Unboxing!
7. Uh-oh... heat issues.
9. New firmware out!

You have to add:

"When does ___________ model get updated! I don't want to pay X amount of money for 6-12 month old technology!"

In between number 13 and 14.

uaecasher
Jun 14, 2012, 12:11 PM
They are renowned for controlling their production to match demand. If they overproduce, they could end up like the many companies that have made a fail product.

Apple understands an important lesson in business: it is impossible to predict the market.

I don't think that any mac or apple product will stack up in inventory not to mention new released awesome mac.

I'd like to see 1st week sales figures I don't think they sold more than few thousands...and what surprise me more that it is a high end expensive model and a lot of people are buying them.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 14, 2012, 12:12 PM
Yeah, very lucky beta (Rev. A) testers.

Straw man argument used by the jealous. That held credence in the days when successive hardware updates were truly built on the previous model, but with today's tech every refresh, not just completely new model, is made with many different parts than the previous. There are so many variables the guts are never that similar. It's just as likely for a Rev B,C,D, etc. to be buggy as a Rev A. We are all always beta testers. No consumer product is ever pushed out bulletproof.

Remember the PowerBook G4 white spot issue? That didn't happen with the first PB G4, but rather, one of the last.

john7jr
Jun 14, 2012, 12:12 PM
What ssd's are they using? The same faster ones as in the MBA? I have a ssd in my iMac, and it's fast for what I do, but I've definitely seen faster. Hope these got the good ones the airs have now.

Yes, it's the same speed. Not sure it it's the same interface yet. I do know the interface between the prior Air and the new Air are slightly different. I was hoping they'd have standardized by now.

=(

Wang Foolio
Jun 14, 2012, 12:13 PM

How will people know that I'm better than them?!

Kidding of course :D

john7jr
Jun 14, 2012, 12:15 PM
Anyone know what the model identifier is on the retina MBP? I've seen early benchmarks of the MacBook Pro 9,1 but I'm not sure which one that is. They can't all be 9,1... can they?

I guess if they all have the same processor, RAM speed, and GPU that they could all be the same identifier.

faroZ06
Jun 14, 2012, 12:16 PM
And the crowd goes wild!

bj3949
Jun 14, 2012, 12:16 PM
This machine is Incredible. Really Incredible. Wish display was brighter though.

MEgaMacMan
Jun 14, 2012, 12:18 PM
I feel like i'm the only one getting a 2.6, starting to feel pier pressure, hand is reaching for phone, mind is thinking update order to 2.7, but I can't let myself do it, I need support, whose with me.:eek:

faroZ06
Jun 14, 2012, 12:18 PM
That sounds exciting but then its same OS so should get old in 30 min or so...of course unless its replacing a PC or a really old Mac.

Not if you use it for the right stuff. Same image at actual size:
Regular:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/643634/IMG_0144.JPG
Retina:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/643634/IMG_0143.JPG

WestonHarvey1
Jun 14, 2012, 12:19 PM

I certainly have. My MacBook Pro has a pretty bad screen, and a photo from my iPhone 4 exaggerates it a bit. But the problems on the screen are apparent in the photo and vice versa.

I can't take an accurate picture of my Apple Cinema Display because it's CFL backlit and pictures show light and dark bands not visible to the eye.

faroZ06
Jun 14, 2012, 12:20 PM
Well colour me Jealous. I'd love a computer with a screen that good. Is there a matte option?

I would not go anywhere without glass covering that precious display. As it is, I'm sick of my iMac having a glassless (matte) screen that keeps getting dirty and poked.

dokujaryu
Jun 14, 2012, 12:20 PM
I would like to see some bootcamp Windows 7 on external monitor at 1920x1200 Skyrim benchmarks plz. :D

faroZ06
Jun 14, 2012, 12:21 PM
I can't take an accurate picture of my Apple Cinema Display because it's CFL backlit and pictures show light and dark bands not visible to the eye.

If I understand you correctly, you should use HDR to take the picture.

Tbperry
Jun 14, 2012, 12:23 PM
my gift card for my student discount was delayed! now i won't get that till next week now. This better not happen with my already 7-10 day MBPR order! Thats already too long!!!

faroZ06
Jun 14, 2012, 12:23 PM
I would like to see some bootcamp Windows 7 on external monitor at 1920x1200 Skyrim benchmarks plz. :D

If THAT'S what you care about, my Mac Pro will kill this MacBook Pro in that test. Anyway, I wouldn't run Skyrim because I hate magical medieval games (but not medieval games because I love AOE II).

Oh, also, there is a WINE wrapper for Skyrim that lets you run it on your Mac without running Windows, and I think it has good performance.

Newfiebill
Jun 14, 2012, 12:24 PM

That my friend is Marketing 101 at it finest!

faroZ06
my gift card for my student discount was delayed! now i won't get that till next week now. This better not happen with my already 7-10 day MBPR order! Thats already too long!!!

I feel your pain. It's taking forever for my 2008 Mac Pro to come from eBay.

bigdaddyc188
2.7ghz, 16GB 512 Flash?? Mannnn Trevor and Jeremy got moneyyyyyy:apple:

The only upgrade was the RAM so 2999 out the door plus tax same price as the old 17". Not that big of a deal

faroZ06
Jun 14, 2012, 12:25 PM
Yes, it's the same speed. Not sure it it's the same interface yet. I do know the interface between the prior Air and the new Air are slightly different. I was hoping they'd have standardized by now.

=(

The MBPR does not use SATA for its SSD. I'm pretty sure the MBP does. I'm not so sure about the Air.

kildjean
Jun 14, 2012, 12:27 PM
If I had $3K I would drop it on a heartbeat on one of those laptops...

solarguy17
Jun 14, 2012, 12:27 PM
The Best Buy in Lafayette, IN had some regime models in last night. None on display but the dude there really wanted to sell on to me. I think he wanted to start it up so he could see the screen! But no display:(

Mistrblank
Jun 14, 2012, 12:28 PM

Nothing for nothing, but I've owned a MacBook (1st gen intel) for almost 6 years now and it's got ridiculous Yellowing. I have a 2004 Dell Monitor as well with ridiculous yellowing as well. While the Macbook has been in my in-laws house very sporadically over the years, the Dell has always been in a smoke free home. I think it's just something that happens over time to LCD displays (I could see it happening in my iPhone 3G too before I replaced that last year).

cecildk9999
Jun 14, 2012, 12:29 PM
I played with one in store today, and it's a tough dilemma! After reading reviews, I thought that non-Retina apps might look just a little pixelated, but they look horrible. Hopefully, 3rd party software will see quick adoption, but I may opt for Pages and Keynote over MS Office when I finally order one.

Drunken Master
Jun 14, 2012, 12:29 PM

I use a program called F.lux that lets you tint your screen orange-ish. It's actually easier on your eyes and they claim it helps you sleep faster if you use your computer before going to bed.

Dunno if that's true but I notice how blue the screen is now if Flyx gets turned off during logging out or a restart.

Nimrad
Jun 14, 2012, 12:30 PM

Does the casing really have this brownish coloring?

vmachiel
Jun 14, 2012, 12:34 PM
Damn, I so want one even though i don't need it. Apple wins again

macchiato2009
Jun 14, 2012, 12:35 PM
we got it displayed in our store this morning

simply delicious :p

QCassidy352
Jun 14, 2012, 12:36 PM

=(

That's good to know, thanks. I used to have a 2010 air and it always felt really fast because of the really fast drive, even with a c2d processor. I'm sure the newer drives blow that put of the water though. Should be an impressive machine (and, side note, the new airs are super tempting too with the better graphics, 8 gb ram, and new ssd's).

paulsquyres
Just got my MacBook Pro Retina (15.4/2.7ghz/16gb/512gb) and installed Photoshop CS6.

The current version of Photoshop's UI is very pixelated as seen in the screenshot. The computer is very responsive as applying filters, etc. is super fast! Can't wait until Adobe updates the UI to accommodate the retina display across the CS6 Suite.

roar08
I ordered my MBP retina 2.7/3.7 16GB 512GB right when the store came back on Monday. I got it Wednesday morning 9:15a PST, less than 48 hours after I ordered it and 24 hours sooner than FedEx said it would be delivered. Love it.

TheMacBookPro
I feel like i'm the only one getting a 2.6, starting to feel pier pressure, hand is reaching for phone, mind is thinking update order to 2.7, but I can't let myself do it, I need support, whose with me.:eek:

Nope, I ordered a 2.6 too. Can't justify $250 for an extra 2MB cache and 100MHz in processor speeds. I doubt I'd ever see any performance difference in my uses apart from a few points in some random benchmark.

The only upgrade was the RAM so 2999 out the door plus tax same price as the old 17". Not that big of a deal

The one in the OP is the high spec Retina Pro, with the 16GB RAM option and 2.7GHz processor option added on. Total price before tax is $3249. Not sure where you got the $2999 figure.

The old 17 started at $2499 btw.

My question is, why are people in the US already getting theirs?? I ordered within minutes of the store coming back up and mine is still 'processing', and I live less than a 100 kilos from the Shenzhen factory in which it's built! All I have to keep me company is the Magsafe2 adapter... :p

heyimandy
Jun 14, 2012, 12:37 PM
The lucky ones! Hope to see some more video reviews soon. Mine doesn't arrive till July 22nd (Canada).

TechSilks
Jun 14, 2012, 12:37 PM
Lucky guys - glad your enjoying your new kit. The new MBP is certainly looking impressive!

bj3949
Jun 14, 2012, 12:38 PM
anyone else wish new MacBook pro's retina display were brighter?
it's stunning but at maximum brightness it doesn't look as bright as new iPad

wmouazzen
Jun 14, 2012, 12:40 PM
Got the 2.6 with 16gb ram and 512gig HD.

Surprised so many people went with the 2.7. Didn't think it was worth $250 for a .1 Ghz bump in processing speed.

2 to 3 Week wait when I ordered it though.

Digital Skunk
Jun 14, 2012, 12:41 PM
Just got my MacBook Pro Retina (15.4/2.7ghz/16gb/512gb) and installed Photoshop CS6.

The current version of Photoshop's UI is very pixelated as seen in the screenshot. The computer is very responsive as applying filters, etc. is super fast! Can't wait until Adobe updates the UI to accommodate the retina display across the CS6 Suite.

Can't wait for that update, that looks terrible

Dangerous Theory
Jun 14, 2012, 12:43 PM
Something about purchasing a new gadget like this that just makes every part of you feel happy. I would love to unbox one of those beauties for myself. Better scrape some cash together...

fins831
Jun 14, 2012, 12:45 PM

Surprised so many people went with the 2.7. Didn't think it was worth $250 for a .1 Ghz bump in processing speed.

To some people having the top of the line means something, but when it comes to computers, I chose logic over price, and I agree with you, its not worth it or needed, the SSD combined with the RAM will overshadow .1 all day

wmouazzen
Jun 14, 2012, 12:46 PM

Heh, im with you man. Smarter buy for 2.6 I doubt there will be a noticeable different between the 2.6 and 2.7.

LaNina
Jun 14, 2012, 12:47 PM
Anyone know what the model identifier is on the retina MBP? I've seen early benchmarks of the MacBook Pro 9,1 but I'm not sure which one that is. They can't all be 9,1... can they?

I guess if they all have the same processor, RAM speed, and GPU that they could all be the same identifier.

Retina MBPs are 10,1

eldo33
Jun 14, 2012, 12:47 PM
nice BUT way over priced. for $3k plus laptop.

Nikos
Jun 14, 2012, 12:49 PM
Is this going to be the new iPad all over again? I see pink and yellow on that screen. I ultimately returned 12 new iPads and ended up without one because of its screen issues. According to that screenshot, this looks to be the same. If so, it'll be a huge disappointment and I'll probably hold on to my 17" MBP.

WestonHarvey1
Jun 14, 2012, 12:50 PM
If I understand you correctly, you should use HDR to take the picture.

I think it's more of a rolling shutter effect from the CMOS camera sensor.

yeah
Jun 14, 2012, 12:51 PM

The new Air and the new Pros can read up to 500 Megabytes per second (don't know the write) on the SSD/Flash models.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/performance/

MEgaMacMan
Jun 14, 2012, 12:52 PM
That's great to know guys, I feel better now. I suppose regardless of what kind you got, they are great machines.

I'm glad people are starting to settle down about the superdrive being removed, that fact did not bother me in the slightest. I've had DVD drive in my iMac all year long and haven't used it yet. I'm all in favour for a more powerful yet compact machine. I really love the new design, people are saying it's not a pro machine because of it's slim form factor. I don't understand their beef, Power in a smaller form is always better IMO.:)

yeah
Jun 14, 2012, 12:55 PM

Yeah, you get:

Retina Display
Latest Ivy Bridge i7 processors
Up to 16GB DDR3L RAM
Nvidia Geforce GT 650M Kepler graphics with 1GB with GDDR5 ram
Up to 768GB Flash storage
Thin design
Best part... Bragging rights :p

wmouazzen
Jun 14, 2012, 12:56 PM
Didn't realize the 2.7 had 2MB extra cache over the 2.6

How much of a difference does that make?

john7jr
Jun 14, 2012, 12:57 PM
Retina MBPs are 10,1

Ah, that makes even more sense, since it's a new model completely.

Mac365
Jun 14, 2012, 01:02 PM

Don't buy the base model thinking you can upgrade later... :mad:

"the new MacBook Pro uses RAM soldered directly onto the logic board, as well as custom solid-state drives that include a new connector incompatible with existing third-party drives on the market."

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/13/teardown-of-retina-macbook-pro-finds-low-repairability-with-custom-components/

mastreck
Jun 14, 2012, 01:03 PM
Here are my Geekbench Results:

I was hoping for a 17" version. Been using a 17" MacBook Pro/Powerbook since they came out. This thing is fast. Only took about 40 minutes to transfer 400 gb from 2011 17" with SSD. In the past it took hours. The size and weight are amazing. Very happy with it so far.

Drew n macs
Jun 14, 2012, 01:04 PM
Why all the hate to people buying the new 15 mb rd, heck even go buy a refurb 15 mbp for $1359 and put a 256 ssd drive upgrade it to 8gb of memory (very cheap now but still) pay the measly 19.99 for mountain lion when it comes out and you are approaching the cost of 15 mb rd without usb 3 and without the retina screen.

Blorzoga
Jun 14, 2012, 01:12 PM

Here we go again.

Galatian
Jun 14, 2012, 01:19 PM
17 seconds on the 2.6/512/8GB RAM Retina. That's measured as soon as you hit the button, no cheating or waiting for chime involved...

That is quick. I just had to measure my late 2008 MBP WITH 2,53 GHz Core 2 Duo which I upgraded to 8 GB of RAM and a 256GB Vertex 2 SSD myself. From hitting the power button till login screen it was 27 seconds. But it felt like the Pre-Boot sequence takes for ever.

I was really on the fence getting the new MBP. My plan was actually to get an iMac (or Mac Pro) for home and then an Air for university, but the retina MBP was tempting because of the lack of an upgrade for the desktop side as well as a lackluster Air upgrade.

My MBP is running strong and Haswell is already on the horizon and sounds more promising then this Tick+ that Ivy is. 4 years out of my MBP is a really good bargain if you ask me!

I still wish those early adopters lot's of fun with their devices. I just can't justify the purchase...I really don't see a need for it ;-)

Oh and to the guy who said the Retina MBP doesn't use SATA: It really baffles me that people spent so much money on hardware product and have literally no clue how they work and still think they need to pollute MacRumors with lies and half-truths...the rMBP uses a non standard SATA connector but the protocol with which the SSD stick are connected is still SATA 6GBs nonetheless.

thekev
Jun 14, 2012, 01:28 PM
Yes, I understand it's not definitive. I hope it doesn't look like that in person. I'm just concerned because my new iPad looked pretty much exactly like that in person, and it photographed well enough to show what I was seeing.

Hopefully they look better. This is a thing with bleeding edge technology. It may have problems. Note what I said below. If they can't get perfection on a hardware level, it is possible to accept the limits of the hardware at the required yields and compensate for it. This may not sound ideal when you read it, but it can yield a level of consistency that's not normally feasible.

It will only look bad if it's a bad photo. It's very possible to get an accurate image if the exposure and white balance are correct. I am sure the photographer was just taking the photo in haste though.

As for those that are suggesting the buyers have GOBS of cash, you have to consider that they may be buying them for work. My university was supposed to order 3x 17" MBPs for our mobile journalism program and mobile TV studio. They dragged their feet and now we are going to be getting the RMBP instead.

Post some calibration data if you guys have a good colorimeter or spectrophotometer around. I want to see how well it resolves saturated reds and blues this generation. You're right that no one should read into these photos too much. If the point was to show the uniformity of the display, it should be done in complete darkness to isolate reflections which otherwise might vary by the ambient lighting. Uniformity is always a difficult problem. I kind of wish they'd do something like NEC or Eizo and build in some level of backlight compensation so that it panel blocks the brightest areas for better overall uniformity. Obviously that doesn't help if you're looking for maximum contrast, but chasing contrast ratios is really pointless past a certain point.

...and credit :p

I have that problem to a degree, because I never finance anything. The idea of paying more for it over time annoys me in a unique way, even if it can make sense at times.

mastreck
Jun 14, 2012, 01:31 PM
The new Air and the new Pros can read up to 500 Megabytes per second (don't know the write) on the SSD/Flash models.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/performance/

In my test on my 15" MBP Retina 2.7 , 16gb, 512 gb

It is reading at 500 mps

It is writing at 410 mps

john7jr
Jun 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
Don't buy the base model thinking you can upgrade later... :mad:

"the new MacBook Pro uses RAM soldered directly onto the logic board, as well as custom solid-state drives that include a new connector incompatible with existing third-party drives on the market."

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/13/teardown-of-retina-macbook-pro-finds-low-repairability-with-custom-components/

Yeah, but OWC had SSDs for the Air out before too long. I expect they'll adapt their current ones to work in 2012 models soon enough.

Doesn't help with the RAM, but even 8GB is fine for most people's use. 16GB for Pros for sure.

Thunderhawks
Jun 14, 2012, 01:47 PM
Hey, PRICE WHINERS !

In 1984 for $ 2,400 we had a Mac with:

9 inch black and white screen
NO hard drive
NO Superdrive
NO built in camera
NO Wi-Fi
128!!!!mb memory for the OS

Couldn't even log it around!

If you buy this puppy plus Apple Care for say $ 3,000 with some bells and whistles it will cost you:

$ 1,000 a year
apr. $ 85 a month
apr. $ 2.75 a day

We live with iphone plans of $ 100 a month, so this machine is really expensive?

Huh?

GorgonPhone
Jun 14, 2012, 01:49 PM
I thought you were advising people to bump to 8. Now you're told that 8 is standard you advise a jump to 16?! I guess if 16 was standard you'd be plumping for 32....:rolleyes:

do you read? or just feel things and then talk? I said always double what ever apple ships with cause they put barely enough for basic use and in this case you cant just pop in more..

AustinIllini
Jun 14, 2012, 01:52 PM
Hey, PRICE WHINERS !

NO hard drive
NO Superdrive
NO built in camera
NO Wi-Fi

If you buy this puppy plus Apple Care for say $ 3,000 with some bells and whistles it will cost you:

$ 1,000 a year
apr. $ 85 a month
apr. $ 2.75 a day

We live with iphone plans of $ 100 a month, so this machine is really expensive?

Huh?

I guess I don't get your point. It's still expensive. The value of all the parts have gone down.

aloshka
Jun 14, 2012, 02:00 PM

I'd say early adopters will have a couple "disappointments" until everything is updated to retina graphics. I opened updated apps like Aperture, iPhoto and iMovie, they looked great on the RMBP. But then I opened Pages and Keynote, which haven't been updated yet, and everything looks blurry. But that'll change eventually.

Surfing the web...honestly felt about the same. Sure, font was really crisp when I zoomed way, way in but nobody reads articles zoomed way in. Watched some 1080p video (the retina MBP ad, natch) and it worked flawlessly, but almost seemed fuzzy as well. They need something higher res than 1080p to take full advantage of this thing.

It seems to me honestly that the larger the screen, the less the "retina" is noticeable. Put an iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 4 side-by-side and you can tell the difference in the screens from 20 feet away. An iPad 2 and new iPad, it's noticeable but you have to get look more closely. The retina MBP, aside from the dock, it just wasn't as noticeable, unless you're doing big zoom-ins on high res photos or fonts.

Edit: Truth hurts, huh? Sorry to **** on your parade guys, but this is coming from someone who does graphic design, photo and video editing for a living and I don't wear glasses either.

Not sure why this got down voted, but thanks for the post. Good info.

----------

Can anyone hook this thing up to an external monitor? How does it handle scaling? Or just somehow magically keeps elements the right size on the external display?

pacman7331
Jun 14, 2012, 02:01 PM
Will in-store purchases have anything other than base stock models? Or do they have some models which have been customized as well?

MEgaMacMan
Jun 14, 2012, 02:02 PM
I just hope the entire adobe suite get's the retina do over. Most importantly, After Effects, Photoshop, premiere and the rest. I use After Effects a lot so It would be nice to see it updated.

I just can't believe I have to wait until July 15-18th. That's my estimated delivery period.

I also managed to pay for the whole thing with stuff lying around the house that I don't use. One gigantic E-bay auction and boom, hello Macbook Pro.

kuito
Jun 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
i got my 2.7/16/512 a few hours ago now.. just too much **** to do before i open it up and play it with... should get there by tonight :)

pretty excited as i'm sick of this current laptop I'm using (2011 mbp)

hope all the people waiting for theirs get em ASAP!! :)

8CoreWhore
Jun 14, 2012, 02:05 PM
Hey, PRICE WHINERS !

NO hard drive
NO Superdrive
NO built in camera
NO Wi-Fi

$ 1,000 a year
apr. $ 85 a month
apr. $ 2.75 a day

Huh?

Oct 2006. MBP 2.16 Core2Duo. 2GB RAM 126GB HDD Crappy screen. $1,999

aloshka
Jun 14, 2012, 02:08 PM
Will in-store purchases have anything other than base stock models? Or do they have some models which have been customized as well?

I talked to the store manager, and he basically says the 2 base models + the 2.7 / 16gb / 768gb version will be available too, but I think he said the price was like 3700. So I ordered online and did 2.7 / 16/ 512. With student discount and a business discount it was 3k shipped (including superdrive, 2 power converters, ethernet thunderbolt)

Navdakilla
Jun 14, 2012, 02:11 PM

Can't wait to be making non-student money and be able to afford nice things!
:p

Jbach67
Jun 14, 2012, 02:15 PM
I stopped by the Apple store and they had several available for hands on looks. Noticably lighter and thinner than my current 15 inch. The screen is, of course, great. On a non-optimized web site (e.g. NY times) with new Safari, the pictures are a bit less sharp, but not bad. OTOH, the text on that site is razor sharp, even blown up to the max.

I think you would have to really value the lighter weight, sharper screen, and SSD speeds to pay the extra for say a 0.5 TB model. But I can certainly see why many would.

Currently more interested in an iMac refresh, I looked at the same pages on an iMac. The unoptimized NYTimes photos were sharper than the MBPR, and the text was plenty sharp to my eyes at the scale I normal read. I'm not convinced that the retinal improvement would be all that important for iMac, certainly not at the current cost for larger screens.

dynamojoe
Jun 14, 2012, 02:17 PM
I'm considering a new 15", and I'm either going to build to order a 15" with an antiglare screen or I'm going with the low end RMBP. I'm currently using an original AlMacBook and the glare is horrendous on it. I'm really curious as to how the glare looks on the RMBP in comparison but I won't be able to get to a store for a while.

miniroll32
Jun 14, 2012, 02:51 PM
Hey, PRICE WHINERS !

NO hard drive
NO Superdrive
NO built in camera
NO Wi-Fi

$ 1,000 a year
apr. $ 85 a month
apr. $ 2.75 a day

Huh?

In 1984, the economy was also very different.

Swift
Jun 14, 2012, 03:09 PM
It's there in the picture. It's picking up the reflection from the red background. It's called highlights.

----------

Yeah. But you can't have companies scaling back on investments, or else business becomes indistinguishable from a con, and we'll never be more than serfs. The point about business is that they're withholding two trillion dollars from the economy, and they're more profitable than ever. Why don't they invest? What are they waiting, another $4 trillion in capital injections from the taxpayer?

Oh, you mean, "We're poor now so why not make cheap crap?" No.

lifeinhd
Jun 14, 2012, 03:13 PM
I talked to the store manager, and he basically says the 2 base models + the 2.7 / 16gb / 768gb version will be available too, but I think he said the price was like 3700. So I ordered online and did 2.7 / 16/ 512. With student discount and a business discount it was 3k shipped (including superdrive, 2 power converters, ethernet thunderbolt)

I didn't know they offered business discounts. And you can combine this discount with a student discount on the online store? How?

Galatian
Jun 14, 2012, 03:19 PM
do you read? or just feel things and then talk? I said always double what ever apple ships with cause they put barely enough for basic use and in this case you cant just pop in more..

Enough! Seriously you need a reality check! Apple charges like 2-3 times the street price for those upgrades. I'm glad they have 8 GB as standard, because except for hardcore photo designers, CAD developers, composer or other "real" pro users nobody need's more then 8 GB, nor the more powerful i7s nor the bigger SSD drives, when you just manage your files correctly. I mean you can have all your iTunes media on a separate thunderbolt drive for example. I see no reason why any prosumer would need the bigger more expensive models.

Bubba Satori
Jun 14, 2012, 03:21 PM

They're holding the camera wrong. :D

That or the white balance isn't spot on.
Accurate white balance on cameras shooting
interiors isn't easy, especially of LCD monitors.

Piggie
Jun 14, 2012, 03:22 PM

Women knew their place, and if a child was misbehaving in the street, you could give it a clip round the ear.

Ahhh, happy days :D

Bubba Satori
Jun 14, 2012, 03:23 PM
I just hope the entire adobe suite get's the retina do over. Most importantly, After Effects, Photoshop, premiere and the rest. I use After Effects a lot so It would be nice to see it updated.

I imagine they will.
When it does get Retina updated,
start a thread and give us your impressions.

Konrad
Jun 14, 2012, 03:47 PM
I dont want it because it does not say "Mac book pro". Also, it is kind of...thin. Also there is no GUCCI bag for it, and no free engraving and I don't like Starbucks coffee.

koolmagicguy
Jun 14, 2012, 03:53 PM

Why did they do it?

Drunken Master
Jun 14, 2012, 04:13 PM
Hey, PRICE WHINERS !

NO hard drive
NO Superdrive
NO built in camera
NO Wi-Fi

$ 1,000 a year
apr. $ 85 a month
apr. $ 2.75 a day

Huh?

The U.S. economy was also doing really well and growing in 1984. Even so, the Macintosh wasn't in every household; Steve Jobs said he wanted 100 percent market share for the Mac, but that'll only happen (hypothetically anyway) with competitive prices. It'll all happen in time, with some patience we'll see every Apple product with a retina display and flash memory.

Fun fact: adjusted for inflation, $2,400 in 1984 is the equivalent of $5,346 today.

anotherarunan
Jun 14, 2012, 04:23 PM
WANT.

But sadly my 2007 white macbook is still going strong. Can easily get another year out of it - so will see what 2013 brings to the range.

thefunkymunky
Jun 14, 2012, 04:36 PM
I have a Rev A late 2008 Unibody MacBook Pro, it has been wonderful from day one all the way to today. I have a new Retina 'Book on order, I'm definitely due.....

I also have the late 2008 2.53GHz uMBP. For a Rev A. it's a wonderful machine and has never let me down. Still going strong four years later. Although, I have upgraded mine to 8GB RAM and a Crucial M4 512GB SSD. Even though the SSD is SATA III and the uMBP is SATA II, this thing is very fast. Also has a new battery and MagSafe adaptor.

After four years though, I would like an upgrade and I've been waiting for an optical drive-less 15-inch MBP for ages. Anyone want to make me an offer on my old uMBP? ;)

haiggy
Jun 14, 2012, 04:45 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/2080#1

it does! looks awesome

aliensporebomb
Jun 14, 2012, 05:25 PM
What a rip off!

$3000 later and I open the lid and it's just 8 iphones glued together.

mastreck
Jun 14, 2012, 05:30 PM
Not sure why this got down voted, but thanks for the post. Good info.

----------

Can anyone hook this thing up to an external monitor? How does it handle scaling? Or just somehow magically keeps elements the right size on the external display?

I hook mine up to my 30" Cinema display, with the clam shell closed. I have had no problems

twoodcc
Jun 14, 2012, 05:34 PM
good for them. i wish my local Apple store had them in stock

Jolson247
Jun 14, 2012, 05:35 PM
This makes me think of a discussion in a recent episode of Veep, from HBO, involving a character not-so-subtly bashing a professional photographer's choice of camera and bragging about how he owns a more expensive one. The photographer's comeback is perfect but it's onviously lost on the other guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEwUnENlc9M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Obviously some need this level of computing power but I doubt that the majority do and it's just a status symbol. It's a beautiful computer but, for $3,000 for a moderately loaded one, I hardly believe anybody really "needs" something like that.

My .02. YMMV.

scottrichardson
Jun 14, 2012, 05:57 PM

Does it really look pixelated? I mean, that's exactly how photoshop would look on a 1440 x 900 screen - which I have here on my Macbook Air, and nothing looks pixelated. Is it more that it 'looks' pixelated next to the hiDPI assets in OSX such as the menu bar and dock etc?

----------

Also can anyone with one confirm if you can run the display in 'normal' 2880 x 1800 pixel mode? Rather than HiDPI 'retina' mode?

Chupa Chupa
Jun 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
Obviously some need this level of computing power but I doubt that the majority do and it's just a status symbol. It's a beautiful computer but, for $3,000 for a "loaded" one, I hardly believe a casual user needs something like that.

My .02. YMMV.

Is the 2.7 Ghz the best seller of the bunch? Probably not. The 2.3 will do me fine, but if you want a bigger SSD you have no choice but to go with the 2.6. I'm not sure people are bumping up just for the heck of it.

I love the lower weight, beautiful screen. I can clearly read it a arms length w/o glasses. That's huge to me. Just b/c you won't max it out doesn't mean it won't go to good use. Status symbol? The people I hang with are impressed by a case of 2008 Duckhorn Three Palms Vineyard Merlot, not a frickin laptop, so I can't really say if that's true. But seems if it is that person would have a lot of other status symbols to go w/ it lest being seen as a poseur.

kalsta
Jun 14, 2012, 06:31 PM

Even the window buttons look pixelated. Adobe not using Apple's APIs? Who would have thought!

jcpb
Jun 14, 2012, 06:50 PM
Also can anyone with one confirm if you can run the display in 'normal' 2880 x 1800 pixel mode? Rather than HiDPI 'retina' mode?
Likely doable with user hacks.
Why did they do it?
Space hog.
Enough! Seriously you need a reality check! Apple charges like 2-3 times the street price for those upgrades. I'm glad they have 8 GB as standard, because except for hardcore photo designers, CAD developers, composer or other "real" pro users nobody need's more then 8 GB, nor the more powerful i7s nor the bigger SSD drives, when you just manage your files correctly. I mean you can have all your iTunes media on a separate thunderbolt drive for example. I see no reason why any prosumer would need the bigger more expensive models.
There is no such thing as too much RAM and too much storage.

Also, expensive it may be, overpriced it isn't. Every other vendor does the exact same thing when it comes to custom-kit components. You want that brand-spanking-new Quadro GPU in the latest Dell workstation notebook? A few grand, please.
Don't buy the base model thinking you can upgrade later...
I figured that out with just the WWDC slides and took them into account when ordering mine. Then I looked at iFixit.
Expensive it may be, overpriced it isn't, especially with Mac computer hardware.

I framed it as a "should I spend $500 for ~240GB more real storage or $500 for doing things faster even if I don't need the speed now"...

TCZ
Jun 14, 2012, 07:09 PM
Any owners of the new machine using Adobe CS6? Can you get the 650M to support CUDA acceleration by running the GPU sniffer from the command line?

JPOWA
Jun 14, 2012, 08:20 PM
Any of you with the new MBPR and Photoshop could try and do a SS @ it "more space" screen setting? Just to see if its pixelated...

I think for some 3rd party apps that may be the best setting right now! Because you have a lot off pixels for a 15.4" display and a lot of space to work!

When using Apple apps, switch it back to "retina" ;)

PM Harold Saxon
Jun 14, 2012, 08:41 PM
I'll be waiting until next year when they bring out a proper PRO MB so I can upgrade from my 2008 MBP

I'm also stuck with my Early 2008 15-inch MacBook Pro.

I'm saving up like crazy to get the AU3199.00 Retina MBP because 512GB SSD Flash Storage is 12GB more than my 500GB 7200RPM HDD.

And for some reason, this seems like a far more attractive option as opposed to the 2.4 GHz "Penryn" Intel Core 2 Duo with only 4GB of RAM.

I just hope like crazy that I don't experience the same issue as my current one where it literally died as a result of the nVidia GPU carking it.

Overall, this is a real strenuous game of "Patience" for most of us (not so much the time it takes to ship but more the fact that we aren't rich or that some of us have "deep pockets but short arms").

----------

So, anyone tried Boot Camping Windows 7 yet?

Are UI elements so darn small you need a magnifying glass to change the DPI?

Also, what else can you tell us?

marconiusrex
Jun 14, 2012, 08:48 PM
I love it but too rich for my blood!.......My Precious!!!!. Oh no!:eek:

Dobiewonkanobie
Jun 14, 2012, 09:08 PM

Is it really that important to have the name on it? :confused: If the computer is yours YOU know what it is.

----------

I don't think that any mac or apple product will stack up in inventory not to mention new released awesome mac.

I'd like to see 1st week sales figures I don't think they sold more than few thousands...and what surprise me more that it is a high end expensive model and a lot of people are buying them.

There were several reports indicating people were holding off purchasing a new laptop (for the last 3-6 months) in anticipation of this release.

Bensalama21
Jun 14, 2012, 09:24 PM

Are you going to ask why the trackpad is really small too since the photo cuts that off or why there is no dock?

WestonHarvey1
Jun 14, 2012, 09:39 PM
Are you going to ask why the trackpad is really small too since the photo cuts that off or why there is no dock?

No, I'm not going to ask that. Thanks for your helpful reply.

Greatbug
Jun 14, 2012, 10:12 PM
I hook mine up to my 30" Cinema display, with the clam shell closed. I have had no problems

http://qkme.me/3ppxwq

(I kid, I kid)

PrayForDeath
Jun 14, 2012, 10:34 PM
Surfing the web...honestly felt about the same. Sure, font was really crisp when I zoomed way, way in but nobody reads articles zoomed way in.

Umm, you do realize that zooming in defeats the purpose of retina, right? :confused:

kingtj
Jun 14, 2012, 11:28 PM
The fact is though, if you work in a technical field (or like me, I.T. itself), your computer(s) are tools you rely on to do your job -- as well as for part of your continuing education and entertainment.

I've never bought a Mac that I actually "needed" in the sense I couldn't survive without it or something. But they've all enriched my life and been quite sensible purchases if you look at everything I've gotten back out of them, and all the hours I've logged using each one.

The idea I've bought any of these machines as "status symbols" ignores the possibility I simply admire and appreciate their quality and capabilities, and thought they were good places to spend my money. The whole status symbol notion makes it sound like a person just carries the thing around to show it off, and never actually powers it on and does anything functional/useful with it..... Except for a few TV personalities and other celebrities who use their Macs as flashy props, I doubt this is usually reality.

This makes me think of a discussion in a recent episode of Veep, from HBO, involving a character not-so-subtly bashing a professional photographer's choice of camera and bragging about how he owns a more expensive one. The photographer's comeback is perfect but it's onviously lost on the other guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEwUnENlc9M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Obviously some need this level of computing power but I doubt that the majority do and it's just a status symbol. It's a beautiful computer but, for $3,000 for a moderately loaded one, I hardly believe anybody really "needs" something like that.

My .02. YMMV.

aloshka
Jun 14, 2012, 11:40 PM

Things don't look big on the cinema display? That's so cool. Thanks, I'm glad I put in an order.

thefunkymunky
Jun 15, 2012, 12:05 AM
Any owners of the new machine using Adobe CS6? Can you get the 650M to support CUDA acceleration by running the GPU sniffer from the command line?

The 650M should support CUDA shouldn't it? Even my integrated 9400M does. :confused:

http://i.minus.com/jbiwJGmEgnK15t.png (https://minus.com/lbiwJGmEgnK15t)

funnyfish7
Jun 15, 2012, 12:21 AM
Hmm. I upgraded to the 2799 model 2.6/8/512. Will I regret not getting 16GB ram? I do graphic design and web design ( I always find myself having 8 billion apps open ) and like to play some games. Plus mild video editing.

TCZ
Jun 15, 2012, 01:11 AM
The 650M should support CUDA shouldn't it? Even my integrated 9400M does.
Image (https://minus.com/lbiwJGmEgnK15t)

I have an integrated 9400M and an integrated 9600M in my late 2008 MBP and they both support CUDA. But neither of them work to accelerate Premiere, even if you hack the text file which contains the list of supported video cards. Not enough video memory, or compute power.

The 650M should be sufficient, but it would be nice to have confirmation from someone who owns one of the new laptops with the chip in it.

MacinDoc
Jun 15, 2012, 01:23 AM
What a rip off!

$3000 later and I open the lid and it's just 8 iphones glued together.
8 iPhones X $650/phone = $5200. What a bargain!;)

guuguus
Jun 15, 2012, 01:48 AM
I have mine!
Tested here: http://forums.macgeneration.com/macbook-pro/test-du-macbook-pro-retina-1125522.html

In french :p

applephysci
Jun 15, 2012, 08:28 AM

I must say that I have to agree with this review. In fact, I actually logged in here to quickly see if anyone else had similar thoughts. A friend of mine just got one and a bunch of us (at work) just checked it out. We placed the Retina Macbook Pro and a 2010 Macbook Pro side by side, and decided to comparatively test out browsing, iPhoto, netflix, youtube, DVD, MS Word, Pages, Powerpoint and Keynote. With the exception of zooming into images, everything felt just about the same between both the Retina Macbook Pro and a 2010 Macbook Pro. If you zoom into images, you notice amazing resolution on the Retina, but for the rest of the experience it was more of a damper. We had high expectations for the Retina Macbook Pro, in fact I was on the fence of whether I should upgrade and now I know I'm going to have to wait.

We also had the similar thoughts about how size matters when it comes to Retina-like graphics, albeit in the opposite manner. The retina display of the iPhone 4 was mindblowing when compared to the non-retina iPhone 3GS. This was not the case with the Macbook Pro.

sinisterdesign
Jun 15, 2012, 08:37 AM
mine came early. it was scheduled to arrive monday morning and the FedEx guy woke me up this morning with a badass new lappy. :D

MythicFrost
Jun 15, 2012, 08:43 AM
How well you'll notice the difference depends heavily on your visual acuity and viewing distance. With 20/20 vision you'll need to sit 31 inches away from the standard MacBook Pro (110 PPI) for pixels to be indistinguishable, and for the Retina MacBook Pro only 15.5 inches.

ayzee
Jun 15, 2012, 08:46 AM
I can understand the disappointments, when you've spent all this money and some things look blurry.

But I feel I'm future proofing by buying something that will still be highly relevant in 3-4yrs time.

The amount of times I bought a pc, that was became outdated within a year, because the components were coming to end of life, as the companies were trying to shift them in order to bring in the new ones.

With this RMBP you know you are buying bleeding edge technology, so why wait until it comes down in price, pay a little premium and enjoy it now. I'm sure The premium you pay now, for an extra years use is worth it.

That's why I hope apple also sells the 16gb ram options as standard at the apple store. It will be a shame for a consumer to spend all this money on a machine, with 8gb that will never be upgradable.

bryanl
Jun 15, 2012, 09:29 AM
I ordered a 16GB/2.6/512GB with 2-3 day shipping right after the store opened. At first it had delivery scheduled for the Jun 21-25. Then It shipped and I had a FedEx tracking number with delivery on Jun 18. It showed up today (the 15th) at 9:45 am.

Bezetos
Jun 15, 2012, 10:00 AM
The new MacBooks' screen looks amazing.

The only thing I'm concerned about is designing pixel-perfect elements for the web or for apps. Is there anything that they've implemented to "preview" objects at lower resolutions?

Sech
Jun 15, 2012, 10:02 AM
I just got mine about an hour ago (Philly, ordered launch day). Have yet to crack the box open but most of the guys in my office have already stopped by trying to tempt me. Part of it is just seeing the torture on their faces since they waited a day or so after I did to order. :)

Drunken Master
Jun 15, 2012, 12:00 PM
We also had the similar thoughts about how size matters when it comes to Retina-like graphics, albeit in the opposite manner. The retina display of the iPhone 4 was mindblowing when compared to the non-retina iPhone 3GS. This was not the case with the Macbook Pro.

Well technically, the iPhone 4 has a higher ppi than the new iPad or the retina MBP.

Also, your face is closer to the iPhone more often than those devices. If my face was as close to the screen of the MBP as it was to my iPhone, I think the difference would be more noticeable.

ixodes
Jun 15, 2012, 12:15 PM
My BTO MBP_R just arrived.

The config is 2.6GHz / 16GB / 768 GB / Apple USB Superdrive / AppleCare.

I'm away on business, so my wife stayed home to sign for it.

Returning on Tuesday, it will be interesting to see if I got lucky and have a good fault free display. The one I bought from my local Apple store is fine, so if this one is also, I will be very satisfied.

Not to mention my wife will be thrilled, as I will pass the first one on to her. :)

Bensalama21
Jun 15, 2012, 02:20 PM
No, I'm not going to ask that. Thanks for your helpful reply.
Anyone with common sense could see that it was the reflection from the room and not the screen.

Someone with a car could go drive to the apple store and see the new Macbook in person to see if there was a reddish tint on the screen and aluminum body.

You, sir, did neither.

WestonHarvey1
Jun 15, 2012, 02:39 PM
Anyone with common sense could see that it was the reflection from the room and not the screen.

Someone with a car could go drive to the apple store and see the new Macbook in person to see if there was a reddish tint on the screen and aluminum body.

You, sir, did neither.

So, because you see red reflecting off the aluminum in that corner, it naturally follows that MUST be the reason for what I'm seeing. B follows A, so A caused B, you see. It's so obvious and definitive that I'm stupid for even *asking*.

And let's not even ask questions on the internet until we've gone out and looked at things ourselves with a car. That's what the internet is all about, after all.

GorgonPhone
Jun 15, 2012, 02:55 PM

Enough from you ....stop being so emotional and face the reality that in this case a smart buy would get the 16 gig upgrade if thats not you hen fine.,, but stop arguing over nothing..

BFizzzle
Jun 15, 2012, 03:10 PM
Enough from you ....stop being so emotional and face the reality that in this case a smart buy would get the 16 gig upgrade if thats not you hen fine.,, but stop arguing over nothing..

http://chzschooloffail.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/homework-class-test-volume-knowledge-teacher-meme.jpg

Bensalama21
Jun 15, 2012, 04:03 PM
So, because you see red reflecting off the aluminum in that corner, it naturally follows that MUST be the reason for what I'm seeing. B follows A, so A caused B, you see. It's so obvious and definitive that I'm stupid for even *asking*.

And let's not even ask questions on the internet until we've gone out and looked at things ourselves with a car. That's what the internet is all about, after all.
You were the one that started with the "Does it really have the pinkish hues"? Was that even necessary?

massprince
Jun 15, 2012, 06:02 PM
i preordered retina display last night at Bestbuy and i received a confirmation to pick up today!

not1lost
Jun 15, 2012, 09:03 PM
Must be nice having $2800+tax/£2300 of disposable income lying around.

Yeah, Mine is made of plastic...:D

terraphantm
Jun 15, 2012, 09:04 PM

If the RAM was upgradeable, it would absolutely make sense to stick with the 8GB and upgrade when it's necesssary. But the RAM is fixed in place. And given that the machine is so expensive, I'd want to use it for a decent while. 16GB would future proof the machine.

The faster CPUs aren't really necessary, but larger storage can be useful. And Apple forces you to take the faster CPU to get 512GB or larger, so you're kinda stuck there. At least it has USB 3 though, so external storage can still be decently useful

cdmoore74
Jun 15, 2012, 09:25 PM

I bet over half of them used credit cards with crazy balances. Trust me, I "was" one of those people and will never go through that hell again. I even bought my last car with cash which happens to be less than what this computer is selling for.

randomnut
Jun 16, 2012, 07:06 AM
Pretty poor i've called the Apple store in Basingstoke every day trying to find out when they would have some for sale.

They only just got some display models yesterday and all they could tell me is they have no idea when they are getting any more in. "possibly in the next few weeks, but could be longer".

How much of a poor and disorganised launch is that, where they launch it without getting any kind of quantity out to the stores and have to turn paying customers away.

Tim cook is lauded as some kind of supply chain god but all that is being seen is none for sale and the stores having no idea when they will actually get any. This has to be the worst launch they've had in a long time where they simply don't have any to sell, let alone have a large amount they just sell out of like during iPhone launches.

WestonHarvey1
Jun 16, 2012, 10:44 AM
You were the one that started with the "Does it really have the pinkish hues"? Was that even necessary?

Notice I didn't say "Look! It has pinkish hues! The screen is terrible!"

I simply asked if anyone could confirm what I was seeing exists in person and not just in the photo.

Trailgoer
Jun 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
Picked up the base model in the Modesto Apple store on Thursday. They just happened to get one in while I was playing with the display model.

Photos in Aperture are sharper and it is soooo much faster than my 2008 Mac Book Pro.

I am having fun with it!

thirteen1031
Jun 16, 2012, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=ryanasimov;15040482]It is stunningly predictable the way comments flow with regards to a new Apple product (particularly notebooks)[quote]
Funny. The predictability of Apple Products have been very different for me and those I know. Similar to yours, but strikingly different:

5. Got mine! Unboxing! WOW! This is BEAUTIFUL! What a stunning device! Let's check it out...
6. Wow! No screen issues.
7. Wow! No heat issues.
8. Wow! No battery issues.
9. New firmware out for those with problems I and others don't seem to have.
10. The new firmware fixes their problems!
11. Lively discussion about how wonderful the product is, how amazing, etc.
12. Upgrades out to make it even better!
13. Time passes as users work with no issues at all.

That's been my experience with 90% of the Apple products I and my family and friends have bought. If it hasn't been so for you, why do you still buy them? :confused:

DVD9
Jun 16, 2012, 05:46 PM
The U.S. economy was also doing really well and growing in 1984. Even so, the Macintosh wasn't in every household; Steve Jobs said he wanted 100 percent market share for the Mac, but that'll only happen (hypothetically anyway) with competitive prices. It'll all happen in time, with some patience we'll see every Apple product with a retina display and flash memory.

Fun fact: adjusted for inflation, $2,400 in 1984 is the equivalent of $5,346 today.

Well, they must have given up on that idea. At this price they'll only get 100% of the one percent.

AidenShaw
Jun 16, 2012, 05:53 PM
Well, they must have given up on that idea. At this price they'll only get 100% of the one percent.

Hardly - the 1% didn't get there by wasting money on conspicuous consumption toys.

There will be lots of kids at Starbucks with the new Apple laptop - that Daddy paid for.

sd-diver
Jun 17, 2012, 04:04 AM
Had a due date of 7/2 - 7/9 for the 2.6/16/512. Went to the local Apple store to drool over it twice this week, and managed to pick up an external superdrive, a magsafe adapter, and an ethernet adapter - over $100. Well, today I canceled the order, return the accessories, and instead walked out with the top-end non-retina with 2.7/8/1024, with hi-res anti-glare. A $500+ savings. The upgradeability finally got me. I'm replacing a 2007 MBP. I like to know that I can update storage in 2 years to make the machine last me another 2 years after that. Happy and sad at the same time… The 16 gb ram is on its way. Need to see if the 8gb in there will work on a 2009 13" MBP...

DVD9
Jun 17, 2012, 10:58 AM
Hardly - the 1% didn't get there by wasting money on conspicuous consumption toys.

There will be lots of kids at Starbucks with the new Apple laptop - that Daddy paid for.

Daddy is a member of the one percent. His kids are students and get the student discount.

Meanwhile, someone who works at Wal-Mart for minimum wage and gets sucked in by the hype decides to buy an iPad.

And pays full price.

Jun 17, 2012, 10:51 PM
Me mentioning "rich" was sarcasm. Not sure why they flew over a lot of people's head when all I own are Mac products.

I can afford it.

I don't think this explanation did you any favors...

nfl46
Jun 17, 2012, 11:12 PM
I don't think this explanation did you any favors...

Maybe not...

WestonHarvey1
Jun 17, 2012, 11:26 PM
I was able to carefully inspect three units today at an Apple store.

It's tough to evaluate screens in the store lighting, but only one of the screens had no detectible color defects. Two of them had a very slight pinkish region, but it was not overly distracting. They weren't anywhere close to what a bad iPad 3 looks like.

On the plus side, there was no uneven yellow tinting, which plagued just about all of the non-retina displays in the store.

So, pretty good compared to the crap screens that Apple has been pumping out in recent years.

Retina looked nice, but the real killer feature for me is that you can run the panel in 1920x1200 mode, which is absolutely incredible. It's like taking a 23" Apple Cinema Display with you inside of a 15" laptop. Great news for developers and others who get claustrophobic when they go mobile.

perogie67
Jun 18, 2012, 09:02 AM
I just ordered the new MBP with Retina with 2.6/16GB/512. It's my first mac computer and I figured I'd "Go Big or Go Home".

yeah
Jun 18, 2012, 12:17 PM
In my test on my 15" MBP Retina 2.7 , 16gb, 512 gb

It is reading at 500 mps

It is writing at 410 mps

That's great! Hoping to get one once my dad gets a high-pay job.

Illusion986
Jun 18, 2012, 03:53 PM
Not if you use it for the right stuff. Same image at actual size:
Regular:
Image (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/643634/IMG_0144.JPG)
Retina:
Image (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/643634/IMG_0143.JPG)

Thats a big deference!

faroZ06
Jun 18, 2012, 03:54 PM
Thats a big deference!

Yeah, Apple should show that demonstration at the Apple Store. The difference is great.

perogie67
Jun 20, 2012, 09:07 AM
Ordered mine on the Canada Apple Store on June 17th when it said 3-4 weeks. Apparently it is supposed to arrive this Friday June 22nd. Sooo pumped and surprised by how quick it is.

GorgonPhone
Jun 25, 2012, 03:56 PM
Image (http://chzschooloffail.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/homework-class-test-volume-knowledge-teacher-meme.jpg)

THAT MUST BE YOU IN THAT PIC HUH!?...LLOL:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

BFizzzle
Jun 25, 2012, 04:52 PM
THAT MUST BE YOU IN THAT PIC HUH!?...LLOL:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

i was agreeing with you saying the that the post was just yelling and arguing over nothing lol

this is for you though, some light reading

http://www.amazon.com/Insults-Comebacks-All-Occasions-Lines/dp/1601060580

GorgonPhone
Jun 27, 2012, 01:38 PM
i was agreeing with you saying the that the post was just yelling and arguing over nothing lol

this is for you though, some light reading

http://www.amazon.com/Insults-Comebacks-All-Occasions-Lines/dp/1601060580

oh lol..