Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just three days after the announcement of the new MacBook Pro, developers have begun updating their software packages with support for the new Retina display. Until software is updated, text and images are generally pixel doubled, making everything displayed within those apps look somewhat fuzzy on the ultra-high resolution display.

Google has built Retina support into the nightly build of Chrome -- a continually updated beta release -- but says in a blog post that the Chrome team has "further to go over the next few weeks."

NewImage17.png

Retina support will also be added to multi-format video player VLC in the next release of the software, version 2.0.2.
This way, both video and subtitles or other overlays will be rendered at the display's native resolution leading to a greatly improved viewing experience.

If you're one of the lucky guys to have a MacBook Pro with Retina Display already, you're welcome to check out tomorrow night's nightly builds (CEST).
When the MacBook Pro with Retina Display was announced, Apple disclosed that it had been working with major developers like Adobe, Autodesk, and Blizzard to enable Retina support in their apps, but it will likely take some time for major apps to gain Retina support.

Article Link: Developers Begin to Update Apps With Retina Support

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Macs are in the minority for PC marketshare and this new MBP is a minuscule part of that small percent. But it's making everyone jump.

Not many companies can create knee-jerk reactions like this. #leader

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
great to see such a fast response from google. Im sure other developers will respond over the next year pushing updates. Retina is definitely the new standard and a preview of all future macs adapting this standard, I think its quite likely that the next iMac (in 2013) might come with a retina, if not we will most likely see it in 2-3 years.

As for current mac owners, this will mean that soon (2-3 years time, or when more retina devices are available) new apps will no longer be supported, as they will feature super high resolutions which will not look good on current mac screens.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Funny, because I remember someone criticizing Google because Chrome didn't get the instantaneous benefit for text because of their rendering engine...

<sarcasm>But I guess it was because it is Google... </sarcasm>

EDIT: I guess I wasn't clear. I meant that their rendering doesn't benefit from built-in text rendering, but they added support for retina fast enough.

Last edited:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Funny, because I remember someone criticizing Google because Chrome didn't get the instantaneous benefit for text because of their rendering engine...

<sarcasm>But I guess it was because it is Google... </sarcasm>

The sad thing is, you're spot on. Theres a silly 'must hate Google' approach now!

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Macs are in the minority for PC marketshare and this new MBP is a minuscule part of that small percent. But it's making everyone jump.

True enough but they will get great customer loyalty and buzz for doing so... not to mention that the rest of the hardware industry will play catch up.. and the companies that do this now will be ahead of the game. Not a bad place to be.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Kind of the LAST application that would be on your list for 'retina' capability...

Your videos arent going to be sharper which is 99% of the reason why you use VLC.

The retina display will actually double the resolution of the source material... Missing pixels will basically be pulled the pixels from the NSArse class from the SDK.

----------

They didn't. Look at how fuzzy the text is on the left. They had to UPDATE their app to be able to have sharper text

-je

I guess I wasn't clear. I meant that their rendering doesn't benefit from built-in text rendering, but they added support for retina fast enough.

Last edited:

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida

Don't you think that eventually all computers across all brands will move to very high resolution screens like this? Enhancing the apps now only makes good sense for the future.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Don't you think that eventually all computers across all brands will move to very high resolution screens like this? Enhancing the apps now only makes good sense for the future.

Very true, but you have to ask, if Acer, HP, or Samsung put this out - would everyone have jumped as quick? :)

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan

Yes, but no one did any of it before this MBP came out. Apple is usually a leader in the industry towards the future. But Apple's actions are the ones that actually get the ball rolling. I never meant that it would not have happened without Apple- but Apple's product is what made Google, Adobe, etc. start pushing out these updates.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
Yes, but no one did any of it before this MBP came out. Apple is usually a leader in the industry towards the future. But Apple's actions are the ones that actually get the ball rolling. I never meant that it would not have happened without Apple- but Apple's product is what made Google, Adobe, etc. start pushing out these updates.

You really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Windows 7 has a whole architecture set up to let apps use HiDPI elements and display at any arbitrary DPI you might choose.

See this.

If the developer has chosen to include calls to the HighDPI user interface (which were available in Windows Vista, too), then their programs will run with high-res visual elements. If not, then Windows will scale low-res screen elements the exact same way that 10.7 does on a new MBP Retina display.

The difference is that you can pick whatever DPI you want in Win7. There are some defaults (the highest default is 144dpi), but you can edit those to be anything (including 220). Windows 8 will apparently be just fine with the Retina MBP out of the box, per AnandTech.

bhtooefr

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Newark, OH, USA
If the developer has chosen to include calls to the HighDPI user interface (which were available in Windows Vista, too), then their programs will run with high-res visual elements. If not, then Windows will scale low-res screen elements the exact same way that 10.7 does on a new MBP Retina display.

Except only WPF apps get that fully - GDI apps just get the whole thing blown up, the OS renders text before magnification. And most stuff is GDI, still. (Even though Microsoft backported WPF to WinXP, specifically so that devs would write WPF apps.)

Or are OS X apps getting blurry text on HiDPI, even when the OS is rendering the font?

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Kind of the LAST application that would be on your list for 'retina' capability...

Your videos arent going to be sharper which is 99% of the reason why you use VLC.

Well, their point was for subtitle rendering, and owning lots of foreign films and anime, I'm pretty happy to see that. Subtitles will be the proper size and look really crisp to read.

There is also a movement away from "old" Blu-ray 1080p material to new 4k material that will make better use of the new high density displays. I'm sure VLC will lead there as well.

Now all I need to do is get my hands on one of the new MB Pros. :D

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005

Actually it's perfectly reasonable to want retina-enabled video applications. Right now if you display a 1080p video in VLC in a window of height 1080 pixels on a retina display, only half of the pixels will actually be rendered, because non retina applications will be rendered as if they're being displayed on a 1440x900 display.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
Except only WPF apps get that fully - GDI apps just get the whole thing blown up, the OS renders text before magnification. And most stuff is GDI, still. (Even though Microsoft backported WPF to WinXP, specifically so that devs would write WPF apps.)

Or are OS X apps getting blurry text on HiDPI, even when the OS is rendering the font?

So what you're saying is that Microsoft went out of their way to give developers the tools they needed to make High-DPI apps, and developers ignored it and kept doing things the old way.

Reminds me of the companies that were still using PPC-dependent installers for printer drivers or OS X apps for 10.6!

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live

Love your signature... sounds like:
Bugatti Veyron / BMW bike / Ford Model T

:-D

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
that a huge difference in their comparison shot up there.

Can't wait for retina stuff to become the norm from apple and they drop the price because it is "old" to them :)

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I'm sure the secretion will be limited. The iPad's Retina Display has had a horribly slow adoption rate.

Even the iPhone has taken 2 full years to get to more than 50% retina content, and even that is a lie as developers hide low quality graphics all throughout their apps.

Support for Retina Displays Has Been Dismal At Best. Apple, Why Are You Not Encouraging Devs?

eyehop

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
So Adobe will have retina apps in what, a decade? They still don't support full-screen in CS6. Wake up Adobe!!!

arya123

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009

Not needed for 'retina' MBP, but definitely needed for HiDPI mode, which is the same thing. HiDPI mode on a 1080p TV has a 540-point vertical resolution, which is lower than a lot of videos you'd want to watch on a 1080p TV. So yeah, Chrome and VLC and anything that you'd want to use on a TV screen are at the top of my list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.