Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
I go biking 3-4 times a week for long distances and I've been looking for an armband or mount to fit either my iPhone 4 or iPod Touch 2G.

I currently keep my iPhone in a small pouch under my seat so I can track my rides using Cyclemeter. (Love this app)

I would prefer an armband for my iPod Touch as if something were to happen to it, I wouldn't really mind. I use to have one for running, but sweat got into the iPod and ruined it. So I would prefer something that would prevent sweat from getting into the iPod Touch or iPhone.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer answers from people with personal experience with the product instead of Google searches, as I have done that already.

chris007

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
San Diego
I hear ya

I hear you on wanting an armband. I cycle myself on the weekends but even with the armband you still have to mess around with a lot of buttons. I started using this wireless remote . Basically you plug the receiver dock in the bottom of your device and then put it wherever (backpack, etc.). Then use their leash/landyard + the remote during the ride. I clip the remote onto my right handlebar.

Mostly I just use the next > buttons. But it makes all the difference when you don't have to suffer through a drowsy, low tempo song on your ride. The remote itself is actually rain-resistant as well.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
I hear you on wanting an armband. I cycle myself on the weekends but even with the armband you still have to mess around with a lot of buttons. I started using this wireless remote . Basically you plug the receiver dock in the bottom of your device and then put it wherever (backpack, etc.). Then use their leash/landyard + the remote during the ride. I clip the remote onto my right handlebar.

Mostly I just use the next > buttons. But it makes all the difference when you don't have to suffer through a drowsy, low tempo song on your ride. The remote itself is actually rain-resistant as well.

A remote would be useless for me, as I'll have no place to put my iPhone. My headphones are not long enough to reach from the pouch under my seat, to my head. I need a mount or a different method of holding my phone or iPod closer to my head.

Last edited:

oneapplegeek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
I go biking 3-4 times a week for long distances and I've been looking for an armband or mount to fit either my iPhone 4 or iPod Touch 2G.

I currently keep my iPhone in a small pouch under my seat so I can track my rides using Cyclemeter. (Love this app)

I would prefer an armband for my iPod Touch as if something were to happen to it, I wouldn't really mind. I use to have one for running, but sweat got into the iPod and ruined it. So I would prefer something that would prevent sweat from getting into the iPod Touch or iPhone.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer answers from people with personal experience with the product instead of Google searches, as I have done that already.

How about this mount? There is an arm bad also available in the website.
http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/accessories/bike/bike-mount

I haven't used this but i bet some people may have used it.

oneapplegeek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
That looks like you need the lifeproof case for it. It doesn't look like the naked iPhone would fit in there, correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh darn it.. I checked the picture to make sure you don't need a lifeproof case to use it, and the case looks like a part of the mount. Sorry about that. It's completely useless if you need a lifeproof case. :mad:

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Oh darn it.. I checked the picture to make sure you don't need a lifeproof case to use it, and the case looks like a part of the mount. Sorry about that. It's completely useless if you need a lifeproof case. :mad:

It's pretty expensive too. $40 for a bike mount? That seems a bit pricey.

Anyways, thanks for trying! I'm still looking around to see what I can find.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
I have been quite happy in the past with the tech Tuneband - ill post a link later when I'm home. They shipped me the big arm ban for free when I mentionted in the review it was snugt/tight.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
I have been quite happy in the past with the tech Tuneband - ill post a link later when I'm home. They shipped me the big arm ban for free when I mentionted in the review it was snugt/tight.

It looks decent, but I worry there would be a chance of sweat getting into the phone. As that's what happened to my iPod and it ruined it. As the ports are all opened.

How often would you say you used it?

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
It looks decent, but I worry there would be a chance of sweat getting into the phone. As that's what happened to my iPod and it ruined it. As the ports are all opened.

How often would you say you used it?

I haven't used it on a current-gen iPhone, I used it on my 3. I used it a dcent amount, never seemed to get sweat into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.