Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2005
I was at CompUSA tonight looking at the Macs and noticed something. The iBooks and 12" Powerbook didn't seem to have the feature where you can tap on the trackpad to select items. The 15" and 17" had the feature. Were these just defects or do they not include this feature on the iBooks (12"/14") and the 12" PB?

BTW: I had a close encounter with the 30" ACD hooked up to a dual 2.7". That thing is so.................mouth salivating. :D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
It's in Mouse Preferences. Probably turned off on the iBook and 12" PB at the store.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
bodeh6 said:
Thanks. Can't wait for my Powerbook.

Enjoy your new PowerBook when you get it (the wait is a killer).

I have also had an up close encounter with a 2.7GHz DP Power Mac G5 and a 30" ACD at the Apple store in King of Prussia, PA - and boy was that system amazing!!!

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
dmw007 said:
Enjoy your new PowerBook when you get it (the wait is a killer).

I have also had an up close encounter with a 2.7GHz DP Power Mac G5 and a 30" ACD at the Apple store in King of Prussia, PA - and boy was that system amazing!!!

Finally! I always am looking for someone who goes to that store! During the tiger release party time, NO ONE was saying they went there... and I was SURE somsone from macrumors had to have been there! And yes, that system is mouthwatering.. though iGary's new dual 2.7 + dual 20" ACD's seems jsut as good to me somehow. How does the surface area of a 30" compare to 2 20's?

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
RJP31484 said:
Finally! I always am looking for someone who goes to that store! During the tiger release party time, NO ONE was saying they went there... and I was SURE somsone from macrumors had to have been there! And yes, that system is mouthwatering.. though iGary's new dual 2.7 + dual 20" ACD's seems jsut as good to me somehow. How does the surface area of a 30" compare to 2 20's?

I agree iGary's setup is just as mouthwatering...I actually would rather have 2 20" ACDs than one jumbo 30"er.

realmcenter

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2005
Denver, CO
My 12" iBook came with it turned off by default and I found out there is a good reason for it. I turned it on for a few days since I was used to trackpads being able to be tapped on but I found I kept accidently hitting the trackpad while I was typing and moving the cursor around which became very annoying so I turned off that feature again.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
realmcenter said:
My 12" iBook came with it turned off by default and I found out there is a good reason for it. I turned it on for a few days since I was used to trackpads being able to be tapped on but I found I kept accidently hitting the trackpad while I was typing and moving the cursor around which became very annoying so I turned off that feature again.

Ditto: Tapping is fine with non-trackpad systems but I also find it gets really annoying so turned it off. It's a trade-off but tracking is more useful for me than tapping. Just use the button!

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
I love tapping trackpads. The only thing I dont love in Mac OSX's implementation is for its double tap - drag. You have to tap again to stop the drag, but thats probably because I'm used to not having too.

Took me 2 weeks to find this out! Had to ask a student how he could tap-track on his iBook. I was embarrassed when I found out how simple it was!

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
pulsewidth947 said:
I love tapping trackpads. The only thing I dont love in Mac OSX's implementation is for its double tap - drag. You have to tap again to stop the drag, but thats probably because I'm used to not having too.

Took me 2 weeks to find this out! Had to ask a student how he could tap-track on his iBook. I was embarrassed when I found out how simple it was!

Same thing on windows. it's useful, but with smaller computers (12.1 inchers) the palmrests usually are too small b/c Apple does not reduce the size of the trackpad to accomodate larger handed people.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
pulsewidth947 said:

Drag lock can be changed in Trackpad Prefs.

peace | neut

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
realmcenter said:

Did you have this problem even with "Ignore accidental trackpad input" checked?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.