Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Found a good deal on last year's 13" base model ($1000 CDN). Mostly just downloading, surfing, Office 2011, and some casual gaming (nothing intensive).

Seem reasonable?

Mrando

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
Nevada
What's the new one run in Canada? If you compare it with the same configuration, and it's less than 100 difference, I'd go with the new one.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
Found a good deal on last year's 13" base model ($1000 CDN). Mostly just downloading, surfing, Office 2011, and some casual gaming (nothing intensive).

Seem reasonable?

Define casual gaming.

If you're talking about Grand Theft Auto, Left 4 Dead 2, Plants vs Zombies, the MBA will run them like a champ.

But everything else you said, office and surfing.. it'll run fine.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I run Starcraft II on my 2011 MBA and it runs okay with low settings, but it does get hot and loud so I wouldn't want to make that my primary gaming machine.

Casual games, like RocketRed pointed out, will be fine. For serious gaming or highly graphics intense gaming I'd get something with a proper video card.

Root2k

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I say go for it. I ordered mine a week before the new ones out and I have no regrets so far. I'm coming from a 2010 macbook pro and this thing flies in comparison, plus the size makes it the perfect machine for me. As far as gaming goes I've been pleasantly surprised. I've been playing MW2 and Bioshock and both run almost perfectly. Bioshock is runs smooth as silk on maxed out settings. Pull the trigger!

Root2k

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I knew the only upgrade was going to be the Ivy Bridge and for the things I use the machine for I wouldn't see any tangible difference. I don't care about USB 3.0 since I have Thunderbolt and the HD 3000 is more than enough for the games I play. So I saved a few hundred and bought a refurbished one from Apple. Loving every minute so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.