Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Hello,

My mid-2009 MacBook Pro has been having a few problems lately (apps crashing, keyboard not responding randomly) and I wanted to check everything was okay using the disk utility in the recovery partition, and possibly reinstall Lion (everything's backed up).

However, when I try to boot the recovery partition, it just boots back to the log in screen. I've tried holding cmd + r, and holding option and clicking the Recovery HD when it appears, but neither work.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Can't help you much, but I had the same thing happen to me when I tried the OPTION key, and booting up with my USB recovery thumb drive, which failed over and over again, and my only remedy was to keep trying until it worked.

Did you make a USB recovery drive by chance ?

Call tech support if still having issues

Last edited:

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Can't help you much, but I had the same thing happen to me when I tried the OPTION key and booting up with my USB recovery thumb drive, which failed over and over again, and my only remedy was to keep trying until it worked.

----------

Can't help you much, but I had the same thing happen to me when I tried the OPTION key, and booting up with my USB recovery thumb drive, which failed over and over again, and my only remedy was to keep trying until it worked.

Call tech support if still having issues

I didn't make a USB recovery drive, no :/ I don't have apple care so I can't call their tech support... It is possible to make a new recovery partition on an SD card or something?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Recovery partition not working..."

Here is yet one more example as to why -- in a moment of extreme need -- NOTHING can substitute for a bootable, cloned backup of the entire drive.

If the original poster had a backup clone, he would have just plugged it in, "switch booted" using the option key, and be up and running again in a couple of minutes, with an EXACT COPY of his internal drive right there in front of him.

The "recovery partition" looks useful, and in some cases it can help. But it's no substitute for having a "boot-ready" solution close-at-hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.