Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insertfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Hey,

Long time lurker, first time poster! Just in need of a few opinions if im honest. Posted this in the Macbook Pro section but thought this would be more appropriate seen as though you use 'em.

Currently have a late 2008 13" MBP and this year I was adamant to get the newest machine. But i'm now doubting myself.

I do a lot of design work, both print and web, and I actually do most of it on a 24" iMac purely because I prefer the screen real estate. I don't use my 13" MBP to its full potential because of this.

I was going to grab a new retina MBP, but now i'm wondering if it'd be better grabbing a 13" Air and hooking it up to a thunderbolt display for when i'm at home. These could both come with me when I eventually move out too, so I wouldn't be stuck with just a notebook. Trying to think ahead thats all.

What would you guys do in my shoes? and side question, would an Air handle CS well enough?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, I know these seem like a different kettle of fish in regards to power etc, but the reason for a retina would purely be because it's the newest thing out, and not because I need to extra power.

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
I am considering the same. Right now I own a Mac mini and an iPad. I have the mini on my TV because I don't like how many extras it takes for its own setup.

I thought about a 15" RMBP and passing on the mini to a relative. But then I thought for the money I could get an 11" air and a retina display. Then I could decide on whether to keep or pass on the mini.

Would love to hear others thoughts.

rygamble

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
I am considering the same. Right now I own a Mac mini and an iPad. I have the mini on my TV because I don't like how many extras it takes for its own setup.

I thought about a 15" RMBP and passing on the mini to a relative. But then I thought for the money I could get an 11" air and a retina display. Then I could decide on whether to keep or pass on the mini.

Would love to hear others thoughts.

Personally if I was going to get a Thunderbolt display, I would wait for them to update it to USB 3.0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.