Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Anyone got one yet, and have been running it as their studio?

There is kind of another thread asking, but it's descended into the normal banter on here!
I love the normal banter on here don't get me wrong! But does someone want to offer a proper real world review on their experiences with it?

I prob wont buy it just now, my i5 2010 17" 8gb still moves like lightening, but I would be particularly be interested in a comparison with the resolution 1920x1200 on both machines.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I looked at one yesterday and I didn't see a huge difference mainly because the LCD screen on MBP have been subpar compared to the high end iMacs. Everything looks cleaner and crisp. I couldn't look at any of my RAW photos because I was in store, and only had my flickr photos to compare. Plus the images are only 1440x900. I would have to see higher res images. But here is a thought, if your images are higher res, wouldn't that come across well no matter what screen you are viewing? lol naw just kidding.

I tested a high res image on my MBP and compared it to my iPad 3. The images look ten times better on the iPad. So, I'm guessing you will get the same results on the Retina MBP. I played around with it for awhile and really didn't see a huge difference mainly because I was expecting that the LCD screen should have been there a log time ago. Better yes. What I'm waiting to see is how well they hold up? The backlight LCD screen have been a problem. Time will tell.

Price wise, If I were to upgrade I would have to seriously look at the accessories. You don't get a firewire port, so you have to get an adapter. The same thing with DVD drive. ($100) My external hard drive does have a USB3 port but connecting to older Macs, I need firewire. It's a lot faster to transfer images with firewire vs USB (non 3 version). Oh and will it work? I know my iPod Touch does not charge on my PB. So that's another issue.. will all the peripherals works?

Then adding up all the Apps that I use. Will I have enough hard drive space? iTunes is a hog. Add on Adobe CS and Lightroom etc. Decisions.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
With the current versions of Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4, pixel-doubling is used to produce the "simulated" 1440x900 resolution, so the full effect of being able to use images and see them at their native resolution per-pixel 1:1 on the Retina display is not available yet.

Right now, If you try to create a 2880x1800 pixel image in Photoshop, the canvas will be 4x the visible display size. This is because of the pixel doubling. Images displayed in Photoshop and Lightroom currently all have this "pixellated" look to them...

Adobe is planning an update (hopefully soon) to Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom to address this issue. It will allow for full use of the Retina Display's native resolution at 1:1 giving full razor-sharp pixel detail and clarity, and allowing the elements and menus to be large enough to use, and very clear and sharp as well. For now, we are stuck with these "pixellated" versions of Adobe apps, until they choose to release updates. The wait is on...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.