PDA

View Full Version : Are iMovie, GarageBand, Numbers/Keynote/Pages worth it for iPad?

pilot1226
Jun 15, 2012, 07:52 AM
Hiya,

I have a new iPad "3". I recently purchased iPhoto and I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm considering some of the other ones, was wondering if anyone had any insight prior to purchasing them.

1. The iPad is my only "Mac" at the moment. I sold my old iBook a few months ago.

2. My wife has a new MacBook Pro provided to her by her employer. She is allowed to use it (and encouraged to use it) for private use. It has iWork and iLife on it.

Is it worth purchasing iMovie for iPad, or is it better to just work around her schedule and "borrow" her MBP for faster rendering times and capability?

Same with Numbers/Keynote/Pages... Am I able to "use" iCloud to edit them in my desktop PC's browser window, or will I only be able to use it on my iPad (since my wife's MBP is/will be associated with her own iTunes and iCloud account)...

And my last concern about GB is the inputs. I have an acoustic-electric guitar that I plugged in via a USB device to my guitar and recorded my playing and added tracks to them. While GB for iPad seems like it's more user-friendly in terms of adding background music, like a drum beat to my acoustic playing, I obviously can't connect a USB cable to my iPad to get the files actually ON there.

Thoughts?

wadjj
Jun 15, 2012, 08:27 AM
Hiya,

I have a new iPad "3". I recently purchased iPhoto and I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm considering some of the other ones, was wondering if anyone had any insight prior to purchasing them.

1. The iPad is my only "Mac" at the moment. I sold my old iBook a few months ago.

2. My wife has a new MacBook Pro provided to her by her employer. She is allowed to use it (and encouraged to use it) for private use. It has iWork and iLife on it.

Is it worth purchasing iMovie for iPad, or is it better to just work around her schedule and "borrow" her MBP for faster rendering times and capability?

Same with Numbers/Keynote/Pages... Am I able to "use" iCloud to edit them in my desktop PC's browser window, or will I only be able to use it on my iPad (since my wife's MBP is/will be associated with her own iTunes and iCloud account)...

And my last concern about GB is the inputs. I have an acoustic-electric guitar that I plugged in via a USB device to my guitar and recorded my playing and added tracks to them. While GB for iPad seems like it's more user-friendly in terms of adding background music, like a drum beat to my acoustic playing, I obviously can't connect a USB cable to my iPad to get the files actually ON there.

Thoughts?

Pages is the only decent rich-feature writing/editing app on appstore, definitely worth it, nothing else even comes close, except that Apple never supports dropbox.

Keynote is fine if don't dealt with complex slides.

Numbers or anyother excel-like apps are pretty much useless for serious use, but numbers do offer some useful templates say attendance sheet.

iPhoto is not as good as photogene but considering it's universal, it could be a good choice.

I see no reason doing video editing on mobile device.

You can import music files in itunes to garageband, that might be the only way for now?