Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hi,
can some one who is testing beta version of my app install iOS 6 ? His iPhone is registered in the Provisioning Portal in the "Device" section.

cheers

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
legally ?

Yes.

As long as they are testing your app on your behalf, they are quite entitled to use iOS 6, to allow you to gather information on compatibility of your app on iOS 6 compatible products that you don't own.

Bear in mind once that testing is complete, they should then downgrade to IOS 5.1.1

(DFU, then restore using holding down Option when you click restore in iTunes)

Last edited:

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Yes.

As long as they are testing your app on your behalf, they are quite entitled to use iOS 6, to allow you to gather information on compatibility of your app on iOS 6 compatible products that you don't own.

Bear in mind once that testing is complete, they should then downgrade to IOS 5.1.1

ok thanks

nachos4twoo

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
Trying to install ios 6 on my wifes iphone so she can use my app and I keep receiving a message saying she is unable to update? Her device s listed in my portal and all?

nachos4twoo

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
By plugging her device into the computer and holding the option button down and clicking update and choosing the ios 6 file

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Yes.

I don't think that's true.

Apple Developer Program Agreement said:
As long as an Authorized Test Device contains any pre-release versions of the Apple Software or uses pre-release versions of services, You agree to restrict access to such Authorized Test Device to Your Authorized Developers and to not disclose, show, rent, lease, lend, sell or otherwise transfer such Authorized Test Device to any third party.

“Authorized Developers” means Your employees and contractors, members of Your organization or, if You are an educational institution, Your faculty and staff who (a) each have an active and valid Registered Apple Developer account with Apple, (b) have a demonstrable need to know or use the Apple Software in order to develop and test Applications, and (c) to the extent such individuals will have access to Apple Confidential Information, each have written and binding agreements with You to protect the unauthorized use and disclosure of such Apple Confidential Information.

You agree that all pre-release versions of the Apple Software (including pre-release Documentation) and services, any terms and conditions contained herein that disclose pre- release features of the Apple Software or services, the terms and conditions of Schedule 2 (available separately to cover distribution of paid-for Licensed Applications via the App Store) and the terms and conditions of Schedule 3 (available separately to cover distribution of Custom B2B Applications to VPP Customers via the VPP/B2B Program Site) will be deemed "Apple Confidential Information"

You further agree not to disclose or disseminate Apple Confidential Information to anyone other than: (i) those of Your employees and contractors, or those of Your faculty and staff if You are an educational institution, who have a need to know and who are bound by a written agreement that prohibits unauthorized use or disclosure of the Apple Confidential Information; or (ii) except as otherwise agreed or permitted in writing by Apple.

The only wiggle room is the definition of "contractor". However, even if contractor can include people testing your app, they still need to have their own developer account and to have signed an agreement with you (the person giving them a copy of iOS 6) that they won't disclose it to anyone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.